Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden’s heads towards getting negative ratings from the majority of Americans – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

On topic, one Democrat- leaning publication summed it up well: Biden’s ratings are getting hit because people are now focusing on Biden himself rather than viewing him through the lens of being ‘Not Trump’.

Obviously, coming into the mid-terms, there will be a focus on tying the GOP into Trump, as happened in the CA recall election. That may work but there is a big risk voters look past that and focus on Biden’s record especially if he has no meaningful achievements to his name

In the CA recall election however remember recall Newsom still got 37%, which was higher than the 34% Trump got in 2020 and the 32% he got in 2016 in the state.

Even on that swing nationwide the GOP would pick up the House given they only need to gain 5 seats for a majority
    Yes, I think the CA recall result is not necessarily without its pluses for the GOP. As you said, the recall made some inroads into the Democratic vote and there were some clear signs certain Democratic constituencies, especially the Hispanic block, were softening in their support.

In my mind, there were two winners from the CA recall vote: Gavin Newsom and Larry Elder. The former won (and I expect him to run again, as I think his national aspirations are not dead but are on life support) and the latter has catapulted himself into the de facto leader of CA's GOP.
    I'm not sure Larry Elder being the poster boy of the California GOP has done the California GOP any favours. If Elder had not been the front runner, I think the election would have been an awful lot closer.
    Agreed but I didn't say the California GOP was the second winner, I said Larry Elder. If he had not been a runner, the vote would have been a lot closer.
    This got me thinking. I think a charismatic Republican - not necessarily a "moderate", but certainly someone with broad support - could have won the recall election. Most Californians aren't that enamoured with Newsom, and if they'd been offered a decent alternative they might well have switched.

But one of the baleful influences of Trump on the GOP is that I don't see a Schwarzenegger type character being willing to put their head above the parapet right now. If you have to pronounce fealty to Trump, I think it scares off a lot of more independent minded candidates.

Separately, I wonder what's going to happen in Alaska.

Lisa Murkowski will, I'm sure, make it through to the final four. There will - no doubt - be a Trump candidate. And then there's ranked choice voting.

My gut is that the State is split roughly three ways between the Dems, Murkowski Republicans, and Trump Republicans. And while Murkowski will almost certainly get the bulk of second choice votes of Dems, what happens if she is behind the Dem at the off, and her votes are the ones that get distributed. It really could go any way.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    With regards to the thread header, historic polling shows that the American public likes Presidents who "get things done" even if they don't always like the policies being enacted. The American public hate Presidents who don't do anything.

The Sinema and Manchin seem hell bent on making Biden a President who gets nothing done despite the legislation they are holding up polling insanely well.

I am genuinely perplexed because back in the Spring they seemed (especially Manchin) totally on board with the plan.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It's perfectly reasonable, for example, that we no longer speak of police 'men' or WPC's but just 'police officers'.

The world can't stop turning around just because the Daily Mail wishes it to.

Hot Fuzz:

Danny Butterman: [about PC Doris Thatcher] She's our only policewoman.

Nicholas Angel: She's not a policewoman.

Danny Butterman: [whispers] Yes, she is, I've seen her bra.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

CatMan said:

Hello all PBers.

Have been taking an unpaid (unless you'd care to send a generous stipend my way?) sabbatical from PB, though am lurking from time to time.

Just back for a bit to ask, what is the translation of "strop" in English, let alone French or Finnish or what -have-you?

Here in the colonies the verb "to strop" refers to how an old-time barber uses a leather strap (or strop) to keep the edge on his straight razor.

FYI strop in the sense its being used in connection with French reaction to AUKUS is virtually unknown to Americans from sea to shining sea.

And BTW, if France ends up joining AUKUS would it then be called FAUKUS?

Note that yours truly has keen insight into nuke subs, given that the Emerald City of Seattle is only about 30 miles as the crow (or drone) flies from the USN's trident submarine base on the West Coast.

Years ago was on a small seaplane flying from Seattle to Victoria BC. It was a bright, beautiful summer morning, and as we flew over the Strait of Juan da Fuca. Looking down, we saw a rare sight: a trident submarine cruising on the surface . . .

Good to see you back, I think we were a bit worried when you stopped posting around the time of that North West "heat dome" thingy!
    Thanks, Cat! Yes, our super-heat wave back in June was downright surreal, took a long ferry ride to Bremerton & back just to cool off. Only problem was it was 105 F when I got there! Back in Seattle, ended up spending a couple nights down in the slightly-cooler-than-my-apartment laundry room in the basement my building just to get some sleep.

At same time, lost internet service for several weeks for several weeks, and when I got it back needed to ration my time more than earlier in the year, and still do.
    Hi @SeaShantyIrish2 . Was wondering last night what became of you. Good to see you back.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This week so far:

Boris Johnson: the Dutch prime minister agreed to mediate over Brexit
    Dutch officials: that’s not true

Boris Johnson: Biden and I didn’t speak about Northern Ireland
    US officials: that’s not true

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1440772645230825477

Rutte agreed to mediate over the defence and security negotiations, NI was not mentioned
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🇪🇺 Boris Johnson: "If we burst out of the shackles of Brussels, we will be able to begin immediately with those long neglected free trade opportunities... We could strike free trade deals with America...". https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1440669916139425799 https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1440723114577391618/video/1

Johnson is a journalist. In that world the word 'could' carries gigantic amounts of weight.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This week so far:

Boris didn't say they never spoke about Northern Ireland - though I get even though multiple people pointed out the difference to you that you're too thick to understand the difference.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944

Johnson is a journalist. In that world the word 'could' carries gigantic amounts of weight.

But the salient point is he denies saying it
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This week so far:

Fake news re Rutte

https://www.politico.eu/article/dutch-pm-sees-willingness-in-boris-johnson-to-solve-northern-ireland-row/
  • Options
    MrEd said:

DavidL said:

Don't get the thread header at all. The whole point of Biden was that he was not Trump. Period.

Well, the general hatred for Trump blinded people to just how useless a candidate Biden was and how useless he would be as President. As is being proven now.
    Oh no, I think people were fully aware of just how useless a candidate Biden was and how useless he would be as President.

We all knew what he was: acceptable under the circumstances.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=302809977715039
  • Options
    THERE IS A NEW SERIES COMING TO BBC SOON

Likely to.be a must watch

Blair and Brown....

Alternatively retitled

The Warmonger and the Financial Incompetent.
  • Options

Blair and Brown....

Alternatively retitled

Thanks for the heads up but I think I'll stick to Disney+ The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Heathener said:

It's perfectly reasonable, for example, that we no longer speak of police 'men' or WPC's but just 'police officers'.

Haven't you seen Superman One?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944
    White House press secretary Jen Psaki blamed British Prime Minister Boris Johnson for chaos in Oval Office
    https://trib.al/Dcv1A5u
  • Options

Blair and Brown....

Alternatively retitled

Thanks for the heads up but I think I'll stick to Disney+ The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
    As you please!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2021
    You have to feel for Harry Kane...EFL cup on a Wednesday night against a second string Wolves line-up....off you go Harry, yet another 90 mins please. Oh its gone to Extra Time, dig in Harry, another 30 mins please.

He is going to be absolutely buggered by the time the World Cup comes.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Just so long as we never have to have someone dressed all black with a cowl jumping into a room and announcing in a gruff voice I'm Batperson
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

White House press secretary Jen Psaki blamed British Prime Minister Boris Johnson for chaos in Oval Office

The "chaos" being that Boris gave journalists an opportunity to ask questions and Biden doesn't like answering questions? 🤔
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Scott_xP said:

The "chaos" being that Boris gave journalists an opportunity to ask questions and Biden doesn't like answering questions? 🤔
    Its was absolutely ridiculous that supposed the most powerful man in the world is too old and confused to be able to answer some questions so a press official has to scream and shout over any of the journalists to stop any question getting caught on tape.

Nor is that democracy.
  • Options

You have to feel for Harry Kane...EFL cup on a Wednesday night against a second string Wolves line-up....off you go Harry, yet another 90 mins please. Oh its gone to Extra Time, dig in Harry, another 30 mins please.

Is there extra time - I thought it went straight to penalties
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,626

Finally scored though...

Good away win for the Foxes reserves.
  • Options
    Am I missing something? Insulate Britain are stopping motorways because they have a demand that all social housing be insulated.

That's it?

That's their demand.

And they are willing to go to prison for the years for the belief that all social housing should be insulted?

• Options
    edited September 2021

You might be right....still, it really is absolutely stupid how he gets whipped into the ground like a cart horse. Its the same for England, those 3 matches, he played in all 3 of them.

Where as at the top clubs like Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, none of the crucial players are playing 90 mins every game, and certainly not in things like every round of the EFL cup.
  • Options

Am I missing something? Insulate Britain are stopping motorways because they have a demand that all social housing be insulated.

That's it?

That's their demand.

And they are willing to go to prison for the years for the belief that all social housing should be insulted?

And one of them ran away from the press when it was discovered his house was not insulated
  • Options

You might be right....still, it really is absolutely stupid how he gets whipped into the ground like a cart horse. Its the same for England, those 3 matches, he played in all 3 of them.
    A professional footballer having to play football matches? How horrendous.

What's wrong with a footballer being ever-present in games? Many are, so long as they can remain fit enough.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Finally scored though...

Its a decent comparison, Vardy, Maddison, Barnes don't get ground into the earth like Kane does.
  • Options

That's it?

That's their demand.

When I was at school, social housing was really insulted.
  • Options

Where as at the top clubs like Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, none of the crucial players are playing 90 mins every game, and certainly not in things like every round of the EFL cup.
    I am welling up in feeling so sorry for him
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,162

Scott_xP said:

Its was absolutely ridiculous that supposed the most powerful man in the world is too old and confused to be able to answer some questions so a press official has to scream and shout over any of the journalists to stop any question getting caught on tape.

Nor is that democracy.
    Also, how can they possibly keep this up until 2024? He's not going to get LESS old and confused
  • Options
    edited September 2021

What's wrong with a footballer being ever-present in games? Many are, so long as they can remain fit enough.
    That isn't the way it works. For starters, footballers are often carrying minor knocks, which rest and recovery is the best thing for them. Stressing your body week in, week (remember he doesn't even really ever get a proper break as he plays for England), will only lead to one place, injury and shortened career. You only have to look at what happens to Kane, he plays all these games, then he goes pop and out injured for several months, rinse and repeat.

I don't think any other team in the EPL does this, their best players are rested from time to time, or brought off early in a game.

England cricket for instance have realised this, hence why they rotate the bowlers. Just asking Wood to run in and bowl 95mph, game after game after game, it just caused him to break down injured.

All British Lions players from the summer have been ordered no matches for 10 weeks.

All sports realise this now. Nobody tries to play every match, tournament etc, every week.
  • Options

That's it?

That's their demand.

And one of them ran away from the press when it was discovered his house was not insulated
    Maybe he doesn't live in social housing?

That seems to be their focus.

this seems so narrowly focused that there can't be more than a dozen people involved.

Unless I am missing a trick here?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nothing. They should have seen the Oval Office twelve months ago!
  • Options

That's it?

That's their demand.

Maybe he doesn't live in social housing?

That seems to be their focus.

this seems so narrowly focused that there can't be more than a dozen people involved.

Unless I am missing a trick here?
    More than 270 arrested so far
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Nor is that democracy.
    Also, how can they possibly keep this up until 2024? He's not going to get LESS old and confused
    Well the way its going, Harry Kane will be absolutely buggered by then....oh your talking about Joe Biden ;-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Scott_xP said:

Do you agree there was something to be blamed for there? The write up is if anything complimentary toward Boris.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Nor is that democracy.
    I know the feeling !!!!!!!!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's so not true.

He likes questions like: would you like an ice cream? Or can I turn the TV on for you?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2021

That isn't the way it works. For starters, footballers are often carrying minor knocks, which rest and recovery is the best thing for them. Stressing your body week in, week (remember he doesn't even really ever get a proper break as he plays for England), will only lead to one place, injury and shortened career. You only have to look at what happens to Kane, he plays all these games, then he goes pop and out injured for several months, rinse and repeat.
    Last season Mo Salah played in 51 games for Liverpool, 2 more than Kane. They both appeared in the same number of Cup games (14) but Salah played 2 extra League games (35 for Kane, 37 for Salah).

Three Liverpool players had more appearances than Kane over the season: Wijnaldum (51 including ever-present in the League), Salah (51), Robertson (50, ever-present in the League)

Mané and Firmino both had 48 which is only 1 fewer than Kane.

I'm struggling to see how Kane is overworked in comparison?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The more I hear about Evergrande in China, the more mental it is. 37x your household income for a home, with prices in many cities the same as the most expensive parts of London, despite salaries 7x in London.

Also, what I didn't realise is the demand for housing isn't just a wealth thing, apparently in China, you can only claim for state services like schooling and healthcare in the province you are born or where you own a home. So huge percentage of people who have moved to a different province for work can't access any state services.

Funny sort of Communist miracle, when the people can't even get access to basic state services.
  • Options
    The White Lotus is highly entertaining, in a lightweight way
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oh god no...I thought it was terrible.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Foxy said:

Finally scored though...

Its a decent comparison, Vardy, Maddison, Barnes don't get ground into the earth like Kane does.
    Vardy played every game when he was Kane's age. Maddison hasn't been right for 6 months with a hip problem and Barnes had months out at the end of last season through injury.

If I have a criticism of Rogers, it is that he gets players back too soon from injury, and so they take a long time recovering. Good to see 90 minutes for Evans, he is our best defender. Soyuncu needs a cool head beside him.
  • Options

The more I hear about Evergrande in China, the more mental it is. 37x your household income for a home, with prices in many cities the same as the most expensive parts of London, despite salaries 7x in London.

Also, what I didn't realise is the demand for housing isn't just a wealth thing, apparently in China, you can only claim for state services like schooling and healthcare in the province you are born or where you own a home. So huge percentage of people who have moved to a different province for work can't access any state services.

Funny sort of Communist miracle, when the people can't even get access to basic state services.

Which is why Xi is having his own cultural revolution against speculators, tech tycoons and celebrities. He is flashing a bit of Maoist leg to the Chinese poor.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That's it?

That's their demand.

When I was at school, social housing was really insulted.
    :lol::sleepy:
  • Options

Leon said:

It's not Chernobyl, nor is it Breaking Bad

But as an amusing insight into the idiotic rich people that go to mexa-luxe resorts, it is excellent. It nails them. Their narcissism, their fatuity, their unknowing cruelty and vulgarity

Perhaps I am biased as a Dildo Knappers Gazette Correspondent, I've seen these people countless times, and they are exactly like this
  • Options

Leon said:

I am currently enjoying “Vigil”, and on Disney+, “Only Murders In The Building”.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

But as an amusing insight into the idiotic rich people that go to mexa-luxe resorts, it is excellent. It nails them. Their narcissism, their fatuity, their unknowing cruelty and vulgarity

Perhaps I am biased as a Dildo Knappers Gazette Correspondent, I've seen these people countless times, and they are exactly like this
    I get the premise, these people are US equivalent of RAHs, with the woke kids....but its doesn't go anywhere for hours. IMO it becomes as tiresome has having to actually put up with these people in real life for hours. If I wanted to experience that I would go on an XR march.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Here is a very short article outlining the plight of the Hukou.

https://citymonitor.ai/government/illegal-immigrants-their-own-country-china-s-migrant-workers-3985

They are very much the cheap, illegal labour that allows China's urban elite to live cheaply.
    They are about as Communist as N Korea is democratic.
  • Options

Leon said:

I am currently enjoying “Vigil”, and on Disney+, “Only Murders In The Building”.
    Watched the first episode of that Only Murders in the Building...willing to give it a second episode...but I am then reminded just how good Serial Season 1 was as a true crime podcast.
  • Options

Leon said:

Would you recommend the latter? I thought it looked interesting but you're the first person I've seen mention it.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Apparently on top of all the official debt Evergrande owns, they have been doing their own version of I guess what you might call QE for years, producing commercial paper (basically IOUs), which have now been traded throughout China as an alternative for cash.
  • Options

Leon said:

Would you recommend the latter? I thought it looked interesting but you're the first person I've seen mention it.
    It’s low effort, engaging enough, and Steve Martin and Martin Short are funny and great to watch.

It’s not “the Wire”, but it’s better than 9/10 of things on the telly.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Apparently on top of all the official debt Evergrande owns, they have been doing their own version of I guess what you might call QE for years, producing commercial paper (basically IOUs), which have now been traded throughout China as an alternative for cash.

Cough Tether Cough
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    dixiedean said:

https://citymonitor.ai/government/illegal-immigrants-their-own-country-china-s-migrant-workers-3985

They are very much the cheap, illegal labour that allows China's urban elite to live cheaply.
    Which is where Xi is a break from the recent past.

It really does look like a serious crackdown on the profiteers. The circulation of Li Guangman's article by leading CCP outfits shows the way the wind is blowing.

https://chinamediaproject.org/2021/09/01/profound-transformations/

An interesting direction for China, and perhaps will be the end of Xi, if it doesn't go well. Evergrande having its finance pulled was a deliberate act, to encourage the others.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Cough Tether Cough
    Yes anybody who is holding Tether is an absolute moron.
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    edited September 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

I get the premise, these people are US equivalent of RAHs, with the woke kids....but its doesn't go anywhere for hours. IMO it becomes as tiresome has having to actually put up with these people in real life for hours. If I wanted to experience that I would go on an XR march.
    The characters are superbly drawn. These Americans are REALLY like this. The super-rich families whose kids just stay on their screens, in their $5000 a night suites

I went to a safari camp in Kafue in Zambia once, mega luxurious on the Busanga Plains, you have to fly in, I was told that just before me the entire camp had been rented by a billionaire Microsoft dude, for his family. He hired several helicopters to make sure everything was brought in, including satellite dishes and the like, to make sure that he and his kids were always online, despite this being one of the most remote places on earth (ordinarily there is no wifi let alone mobile signal)

The result was that his spoilt kids spent their whole time on their phones, arguing and sexting, and they barely did any safari (and Kafue has some of the best safari on the planet)

Probably cost him a million dollars for one holiday. Or more
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    dixiedean said:

Were it not for habit, and the history of their rise to power making it unviable, they might be better off calling themselves the Chinese Nationalist Party instead.
This discussion has been closed.