Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Meeks and Rentoul argue over Davey’s “No deals with CON” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,395
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Yeah I really don't think that any politician would trust Johnson to form a pact with him. He s&&t the bed with his border in the Irish Sea which no British PM could ever agree to and standing staring business people in the eye saying there will be no checks between NI and GB.

You would have to be a special type of stupid to believe anything he said when offering a pact with the political party you lead.

I think that if Johnson lost his majority, there would be a new leader to negotiate with.

That said, there is no way that the Lib Dems would support the party of Brexit. We want closer economic, social and cultural links with the EU. EEA or similar.
    Yes absolutely but look at the Cons now - flying high why would there be a new leader? Sure the Cons/BJ's numbers are slipping but this is mid-term they should be shocking instead they are bobbing around parity with Lab and still generally 5pts ahead.

I just don't see a new leader. And I backed Boris to be out by, er, Sep 2021 god help me.
    My point is that if Johnson were needing to negotiate a coalition or C and S, he would be doing so because he lost more seats than his current majority. There would be a new Con leader, sure as eggs is eggs. Probably not quickly enough to negotiate though possibly that would be done by an acting leader.
    Didn't the LibDems make clear in 2010 that while they might go into coalition with Labour, the price would be replacing Brown? (Not that the maths would have worked).
    Yes, I don't think it tenable to support a PM who has just been rejected. Only the DUP make that mistake!
    May wasnt rejected, she led the most popularly supported UK wide party.

It was a failure for her as she went backwards but it gets a but overegged.
    There's an old saying that Success = Performance - Expectations
    There is. And it's the very saying that you reject whenever I try to explain to you why GE17 was a success for Jeremy Corbyn.
    It was a relative success but he still lost.

If Accrington Stanley hold Liverpool to a draw, earn a replay at Anfield where they again hold them to a draw, it's still a draw after stoppage time and they only get knocked out via penalties then that would be a great relative success for Accrington Stanley. But they'd still be knocked out and Liverpool would still progress to the next round.
    Yes, a success relative to expectations but a technical loss. That's the saying put another way and applied to Corbyn's GE17. Ditto and opposite, with May, a failure relative to expectations but a technical win. Liverpool, Accrington Stanley, May, Corbyn, football, politics, whatever, one just needs to be consistent with it.

And while we're in ticking off mode, I noticed your mask slipped yesterday and you succumbed to "cheese eating surrender monkeys" syntax for France and the French, whilst glorying in this latest Anglosphere v China nonsense. Another outing for "Frogs" was clearly only just resisted.

It was noted. That's all I'll say for now.
    If you think this Anglosphere v China nonsense is as you describe I would suggest you listen to Japan, South Korea, India, and the Trans Pacific countries to which this is very real, and the reason it is widely backed including by the HoC and even some EU countries
    It's above my paygrade, Big G. But my thing is detecting "chaps we can trust" type sentimental belicosity dressed up as geopolitical analysis, and I detected some.
    In simple terms Australia wants nuclear powered subs and France was supplying diesel

Australia agreed with the US to supply the technology which is shared only by the UK to build the subs in Adelaide

The Trans Pacific are building an alliance CPTPP to combat China in trade and with the UK and now US seeking to join

France will be included along with Canada at some point but not in the exclusive AUKUS deal
    Well I hope it's not going to be another cold war. Or worse.

It sometimes seems to me that the post WW2 world needs these big conflict narratives to keep people busy. The "military industrial complex" and whatnot. The USSR thing finishes, you think it's all over, the End of History bla bla, and BANG, along comes Islamic fundamentalism. Then that fades away - although it hasn't really - and the US and us pull out of all that, so can we relax now and just concentrate on building Jerusalem at home? - no we damn well cannot because now it's CHINA! Etc Etc Etc.
    The world is always full of threats. Sometimes it's actual war, sometimes it is just menace.

The rise of an aggressive, hostile China is an unfortunate fact. It would be great if wasn't happening. But it is
    Mmm. But you get my drift, hopefully. Or perhaps you don't so I'll spell it out. The "Anglosphere" tooling up and fighting the good fight against China because others can't be trusted is a fantasy narrative. It has slightly more gravitas than the 'htg' one the other day but it's a fantasy nevertheless. You (and others) are squeezing the world and its affairs into what you'd like it to be. And that's my last word on this because it's a bit of an old-fashioned, reactionary topic. Sooner we get back to cutting edge social issues the better imo.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    justin124 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Britain Decides - model update:

Government loses its majority on the latest polls.

CON: 316 MPs (-49)
    LAB: 241 (+39)
    SNP: 56 (+8)
    LDEM: 13 (+2)

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1438877519659294721?s=20

However it could stay in power with the 8 DUP MPs if they back the Tories again, assuming SF do not take their seats.

What better way to win over our DUP friends than promising to reduce the abortion time limit to 22 weeks for the whole UK as a bonus while Lord Frost continues to work to remove the Irish Sea border?
    If the Conservatives have 316 seats, then they will remain in Government. No government without them is really possible.
    Labour + SNP + LD + SDLP + Green + PC + Alliance comes to 318 seats on the new poll average, so the Conservatives would still need the 8 DUP MPs to get to 324 and stay in power
    I agree - but that wasn't my point.

The DUP are not going to abstain on a Labour + SNP + LD + SDLP + Green + PC + Alliance confidence motion. Therefore, it is not possible to have a government that did not include the Conservatives.

If the Conservative total was a few seats less (say 312), then a coalition like the one above would be possible, albeit not particularly stable.
    If the DUP do not get serious concessions from the Conservatives they will threaten to abstain until they do, guaranteed.

As seen from 2017-19 the DUP are notoriously stubborn
    Again, you're answering a different point to the one I made.

If the Conservatives have 316 seats, and the DUP 8, it is not possible that there will be a Starmer led government.

That's it. It's not a complex point. You can agree with it or disagree with it. But I cannot see a situation where the DUP does not vote against a government with SDLP and Alliance support.
    The DUP would abstain in such a scenario, after all Starmer would at least partly remove the Irish Sea border through closer SM and CU alignment.

So in that case until the Tories remove the border they have to offer the DUP something else eg a reduction in the abortion time limit to win them over while Frost works on the Irish Sea border
    You honestly think the DUP would abstain; that they would choose to allow the SDLP to help set UK government policy in Northern Ireland?

That's not stubborn, that's surrender. It would be the end of the DUP.
    They would not vote for an SDLP backed government no but they would not vote for a Tory government which put a border in the Irish Sea and imposed abortion on Northern Ireland either without concessions
    You seem to think that there are two options: Conservative led government or Labour led one.

That's not true.

If the Conservatives were unwilling to make sufficient concessions to the DUP, the consequence would be another General Election, not a Starmer-led government.
    It was suggested in the last Parliament that without Corbyn the DUP might have been prepared to back an anti-Tory alliance on a C&S basis. They are less natural Tory allies than the UUP.
    #

There is always a government. Starmer might lead a government only for a matter of days before a dissolution, and would be the government in the interim. But there is always a government.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958
    Seems to me like Davey is just trying to get the population to move on from Coalition and reassess the Lib Dems freshly, which seems the obvious aim for a LD leader. Doubtful it will work, but the right aim imo.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Yeah I really don't think that any politician would trust Johnson to form a pact with him. He s&&t the bed with his border in the Irish Sea which no British PM could ever agree to and standing staring business people in the eye saying there will be no checks between NI and GB.

You would have to be a special type of stupid to believe anything he said when offering a pact with the political party you lead.

I think that if Johnson lost his majority, there would be a new leader to negotiate with.

That said, there is no way that the Lib Dems would support the party of Brexit. We want closer economic, social and cultural links with the EU. EEA or similar.
    Yes absolutely but look at the Cons now - flying high why would there be a new leader? Sure the Cons/BJ's numbers are slipping but this is mid-term they should be shocking instead they are bobbing around parity with Lab and still generally 5pts ahead.

I just don't see a new leader. And I backed Boris to be out by, er, Sep 2021 god help me.
    My point is that if Johnson were needing to negotiate a coalition or C and S, he would be doing so because he lost more seats than his current majority. There would be a new Con leader, sure as eggs is eggs. Probably not quickly enough to negotiate though possibly that would be done by an acting leader.
    Didn't the LibDems make clear in 2010 that while they might go into coalition with Labour, the price would be replacing Brown? (Not that the maths would have worked).
    Yes, I don't think it tenable to support a PM who has just been rejected. Only the DUP make that mistake!

There is. And it's the very saying that you reject whenever I try to explain to you why GE17 was a success for Jeremy Corbyn.

If Accrington Stanley hold Liverpool to a draw, earn a replay at Anfield where they again hold them to a draw, it's still a draw after stoppage time and they only get knocked out via penalties then that would be a great relative success for Accrington Stanley. But they'd still be knocked out and Liverpool would still progress to the next round.
    Yes, a success relative to expectations but a technical loss. That's the saying put another way and applied to Corbyn's GE17. Ditto and opposite, with May, a failure relative to expectations but a technical win. Liverpool, Accrington Stanley, May, Corbyn, football, politics, whatever, one just needs to be consistent with it.

And while we're in ticking off mode, I noticed your mask slipped yesterday and you succumbed to "cheese eating surrender monkeys" syntax for France and the French, whilst glorying in this latest Anglosphere v China nonsense. Another outing for "Frogs" was clearly only just resisted.

If you think this Anglosphere v China nonsense is as you describe I would suggest you listen to Japan, South Korea, India, and the Trans Pacific countries to which this is very real, and the reason it is widely backed including by the HoC and even some EU countries
    It's above my paygrade, Big G. But my thing is detecting "chaps we can trust" type sentimental belicosity dressed up as geopolitical analysis, and I detected some.
    In simple terms Australia wants nuclear powered subs and France was supplying diesel

Australia agreed with the US to supply the technology which is shared only by the UK to build the subs in Adelaide

The Trans Pacific are building an alliance CPTPP to combat China in trade and with the UK and now US seeking to join

France will be included along with Canada at some point but not in the exclusive AUKUS deal

It sometimes seems to me that the post WW2 world needs these big conflict narratives to keep people busy. The "military industrial complex" and whatnot. The USSR thing finishes, you think it's all over, the End of History bla bla, and BANG, along comes Islamic fundamentalism. Then that fades away - although it hasn't really - and the US and us pull out of all that, so can we relax now and just concentrate on building Jerusalem at home? - no we damn well cannot because now it's CHINA! Etc Etc Etc.
    The world is always full of threats. Sometimes it's actual war, sometimes it is just menace.

The rise of an aggressive, hostile China is an unfortunate fact. It would be great if wasn't happening. But it is
    Mmm. But you get my drift, hopefully. Or perhaps you don't so I'll spell it out. The "Anglosphere" tooling up and fighting the good fight against China because others can't be trusted is a fantasy narrative. It has slightly more gravitas than the 'htg' one the other day but it's a fantasy nevertheless. You (and others) are squeezing the world and its affairs into what you'd like it to be. And that's my last word on this because it's a bit of an old-fashioned, reactionary topic. Sooner we get back to cutting edge social issues the better imo.
    Its not a fantasy. There has been a special relationship and close arrangements between Anglosphere nations since WWII if not before. You may not like it, but its real and not a fantasy.

Of course we need to work with other nations too, Japan, S Korea, India etc are going to be crucial going forwards, but that doesn't diminish or belittle the fact we have closer relations amongst the Anglosphere and for good reasons too.
  • Options
    Scotland has become ‘the most restrictive country in Europe’ because of the SNP Government’s decision to diverge from the rest of the UK on travel testing, says Edinburgh Airport.
    https://twitter.com/Mike_Blackley/status/1438935849987710976?s=20

I suppose in fairness they have, until very recently, also had the highest case rates in Europe - but Nippy's doing a grand job!
  • Options
    ZeroHedge...but....

FDA PANEL VOTES 16-3 AGAINST APPROVING COVID BOOSTER

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1438948901428637712?s=20
  • Options

Scotland has become ‘the most restrictive country in Europe’ because of the SNP Government’s decision to diverge from the rest of the UK on travel testing, says Edinburgh Airport.

I suppose in fairness they have, until very recently, also had the highest case rates in Europe - but Nippy's doing a grand job!

High case rates + high vaccinations over the summer is a great job yes. Well done Nippy if so.

Better to get the exit wave over and done with over the summer, than getting it done in the winter.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

'cutting edge social issues' = swinging dicks in the women's changing rooms.
  • Options

ZeroHedge...but....

Genuine source or it didn't happen.

Zerohedge are Russian trolls, why would anyone quote them?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,368
    felix said:

One for Roger:

NEW – Best Prime Minister:

Boris Johnson. 45% (+5)
    Keir Starmer 28% (-7)
    Don't know 28% (+1)

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1438896842989789194?s=20

Yebbut all of Roger's circle hate Boris. Don't you get statistics?!
    Lies, damn lies and statistics.

I am quite sanguine, as the point will come where like me, you will see a bare -assed clown and not the Emperor's New Clothes.
  • Options

ZeroHedge...but....

An influential Food and Drug Administration advisory committee on Friday rejected a plan to administer booster shots of Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine to the general public, saying they needed more data.

The panel, however, could still clear the shots for older populations. Scientists continued debating the need for a third dose of the vaccines for people 60 and older after their initial vote, leaving open the possibility of other votes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/17/fda-panel-begins-voting-on-pfizers-covid-booster-doses-rejecting-shots-for-general-public.html?__source=androidappshare
  • Options
    Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h
    France and AUKUS? I'm struck by the humiliation inflicted on Macron at the G7. As he dressed down Johnson over Northern Ireland and boasted of ties to Australia in the Indo-Pacific, the Anglo three literally made a move on the sidelines. A hit on him, internationally, personally.

This is a direct slap in the face FOR MACRON

Remember these images from the G7:

"Emmanuel Macron made a beeline for Joe Biden after the G7 summit photo call in Cornwall. Biden, on whom Boris Johnson expended considerable energy attempting to politically woo ahead of the summit, warmly embraced the French president. Johnson was left lingering with Angela Merkel as he waited for the pair to catch up."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2021/jun/11/emmanuel-macron-and-joe-biden-share-a-moment-after-g7-leaders-photo-video

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6MvVppnEto

They're practically hugging. Biden gets all chummy and says to Macron "we're on the same page!"

At the very same time these shots were taken, Biden was plotting to steal France's enormous sub deal, torpedo Macron's Indo-Pacific policy, snub France in the cruellest way, and utterly ignore the EU

Biden is an absolute C*NT. I'm warming to him

He's a professional politician and he's absolutely played Macron while people were wibbling about how Biden cared about Ireland. 😂
  • Options

High case rates + high vaccinations over the summer is a great job yes. Well done Nippy if so.

Better to get the exit wave over and done with over the summer, than getting it done in the winter.
    If she's done a great job, why is Scotland "the most restrictive country in Europe" to quote Edinburgh Airport?
  • Options
    Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h
    France and AUKUS? I'm struck by the humiliation inflicted on Macron at the G7. As he dressed down Johnson over Northern Ireland and boasted of ties to Australia in the Indo-Pacific, the Anglo three literally made a move on the sidelines. A hit on him, internationally, personally.

"Emmanuel Macron made a beeline for Joe Biden after the G7 summit photo call in Cornwall. Biden, on whom Boris Johnson expended considerable energy attempting to politically woo ahead of the summit, warmly embraced the French president. Johnson was left lingering with Angela Merkel as he waited for the pair to catch up."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2021/jun/11/emmanuel-macron-and-joe-biden-share-a-moment-after-g7-leaders-photo-video

And this:

They're practically hugging. Biden gets all chummy and says to Macron "we're on the same page!"

At the very same time these shots were taken, Biden was plotting to steal France's enormous sub deal, torpedo Macron's Indo-Pacific policy, snub France in the cruellest way, and utterly ignore the EU

He's a c*** towards the French too. Awesome. Appears to have forgotten the French support for the nascent USA too. (And Scott Morrison's name, but to be fair, he's not called Bruce so that makes it complicated)
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178
    Perhaps Macron is only quasi-effective on the international stage.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited September 2021
  • Options

ZeroHedge...but....

An influential Food and Drug Administration advisory committee on Friday rejected a plan to administer booster shots of Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine to the general public, saying they needed more data.

The panel, however, could still clear the shots for older populations. Scientists continued debating the need for a third dose of the vaccines for people 60 and older after their initial vote, leaving open the possibility of other votes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/17/fda-panel-begins-voting-on-pfizers-covid-booster-doses-rejecting-shots-for-general-public.html?__source=androidappshare
    So that's completely different context to what Zerohedge were pushing.

Sounds like their version of the JCVI are dragging their heals like ours, but a rollout decision could still go ahead.
  • Options
    A question for Leon, or anyone who likes to hang out in Spain. After Grant Shapps' announcement I'm putting together an itinerary for Moorish Andalucia. Any tips for trips out of the main cities (Italica is already on the list) and great gastronomic experiences? Jerez and Sanlucar are already on the itinerary, obvs.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,407
    1-1. What do I know about football... :D
  • Options

felix said:

One for Roger:

Boris Johnson. 45% (+5)
    Keir Starmer 28% (-7)
    Don't know 28% (+1)

I am quite sanguine, as the point will come where like me, you will see a bare -assed clown and not the Emperor's New Clothes.
    I'm upset with him and Rishi but because they've "gone native" and backed tax rises, not because they're clowning around.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,128

ZeroHedge...but....

Sounds like their version of the JCVI are dragging their heals like ours, but a rollout decision could still go ahead.
    Whoah! Zero Hedge being completely wrong??? Say, it ain't so.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,128
    Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

That's one explanation.

The other is that Biden thought that the nice foreigner who embraced him was called Johnson.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

That's one explanation.

The other is that Biden thought that the nice foreigner who embraced him was called Johnson.
    Or he didn't know that fella's name.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,246
    France has recalled its ambassadors to the United States and Australia amid a backlash over a deal to supply submarines, the French foreign minister says - PA

That's huge

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1438953858047303689
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,013

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Britain Decides - model update:

Government loses its majority on the latest polls.

CON: 316 MPs (-49)
    LAB: 241 (+39)
    SNP: 56 (+8)
    LDEM: 13 (+2)

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1438877519659294721?s=20

However it could stay in power with the 8 DUP MPs if they back the Tories again, assuming SF do not take their seats.

What better way to win over our DUP friends than promising to reduce the abortion time limit to 22 weeks for the whole UK as a bonus while Lord Frost continues to work to remove the Irish Sea border?
    If the Conservatives have 316 seats, then they will remain in Government. No government without them is really possible.
    Labour + SNP + LD + SDLP + Green + PC + Alliance comes to 318 seats on the new poll average, so the Conservatives would still need the 8 DUP MPs to get to 324 and stay in power
    I agree - but that wasn't my point.

The DUP are not going to abstain on a Labour + SNP + LD + SDLP + Green + PC + Alliance confidence motion. Therefore, it is not possible to have a government that did not include the Conservatives.

If the Conservative total was a few seats less (say 312), then a coalition like the one above would be possible, albeit not particularly stable.
    I agree but would put the threshold just a tad lower, perhaps 310 in which the Tories could just about stagger on as a deflated minority government surviv
    HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

Anyway, there’s not the slightest chance of the next Conservative manifesto containing a commitment to restrict abortions to 22 weeks or any other level. It might conceivably pledge to have another vote on the matter (like Cameron did over hunting…did that ever happen?) but it will be a free vote as it has always been.

But even that is lower than 5%: I doubt the Prime Minister will want to be reminded on the campaign trail of his relationship with Petronnella Wyatt and his encouraging her….

Given the latest polling average gives a hung parliament with the Tories needing DUP support to stay in power, offering the DUP the carrot of a reduction in the abortion limit to 22 weeks for the whole UK as well as lots of dosh for NI while Lord Frost works on trying to remove the Irish Sea border with the EU may be the only way Boris stays in No 10.

In those circumstances, sure, they could offer a vote but no Tory MP will be whipped to support it.

And you were talking about the manifesto which patently is published before the election. That will emphatically not contain any commitment to 22 weeks or any figure. Can you see Boris Johnson even giving it half a second’s thought bearing in mind his past? Be serious.
    Then the DUP would likely not give C and S then and Starmer becomes PM.

Donaldson and the DUP are extremely hard and tough negotiators, they will not make the same mistake Clegg did with AV getting a vote out of Cameron but with no promise of support to get it passed.

If there is no Tory majority then the manifesto will not have received a full mandate and have to be adapted, Boris will do so and whatever necessary to stay in power including a whipped vote to get the 22 weeks through and DUP C and S
    You have now not only crashed into the buffers but catapulted the train to the road outside the station. Utterly absurd. There is no way that Conservative MPs will be dragooned into voting for something so contentious and that wasn’t even in the manifesto on which they’d campaigned only a couple of weeks earlier. If Johnson tried, which he wouldn’t, the proposal would be overwhelmingly defeated in the Commons and the Tories further weakened.

The DUP will have more important fish to fry if negotiations take place.
    OK then, Starmer becomes PM.

Given the Irish Sea border is not going to be removed anytime soon the DUP will refuse to keep Boris and the Tories in power in the meantime unless they not only get vast sums of extra cash for NI but a reduction in the abortion timeframe for the whole UK to partly make up for the legalisation of abortion in NI Westminster imposed on them.

Most Conservative MPs would also support the abortion reduction anyway and especially if it is the only way to keep a Tory government in power so you are wrong
    Many Tory MPs might support a reduction but a significant number would not and of those who do, a lot would be horrified that it would be a whipped vote. The proposal would crash and burn (majority against probably 80?) in the Commons and the DUP know that too.

Furthermore, you completely ignore the likely political context. The Tories would have surrendered a majority of 80, a disaster even more profound than 2017. The party would be shattered and I suspect there would be a clamour to accept defeat and go into opposition, rather than staggering on deflated and dejected and at the mercy of the DUP.

I’m afraid you are totally off the wall on this one.
    No, a tiny minority might not, mainly social liberals from wealthy commuter Remain areas like yours which are heading LD and may well elect LD MPs anyway.

Social liberals are in decline in the party from a decade ago, social conservatives from the North and Midlands and small town and rural areas are becoming increasingly prominent. The new Tory base and most of the new Tory Parliamentary Party will happily deal with the DUP and happily cut the abortion time limit to 22 weeks to stay in power.

No, we would not accept opposition, though if social liberals prefer to join the LDs in opposition to a Tory-DUP alliance fine, bye then

Where is the slightest shred of evidence among current Conservative MPs, or even the Prime Minister himself, that they would support manifesto commitment that would bind them all to supporting a specified time limit. None whatsoever and it would be the first time ever that the party would do that. Even votes on hanging in the 1950s were free.

You are spouting nonsense and pernicious nonsense at that with all the ugly hallmarks of intolerance and sectarianism that fortunately still has no place whatever in the broad political church that is the Conservative Party. And Boris is with me!

By the way, it is distressing in the extreme that you seem to be gloating at the prospect of Mr Raab’s political demise.
    Are non-tories allowed to gloat about Raab?
    I’m just catching up with this conversation

Reading it back in two posts @HYUFD moves from abortion term limits being something that the Tories could offer the DUP (wacky idea) to it being something that the DUP would absolutely insist on and would never do a deal without.

Commendable mental agility!
    He'll be suggesting closing down the dinosaur and rock dating galleries in the Natural History Museum next.
    The earth is 30 years old and the things people claim are older (like the ZX81) were just put here by Allah to test us.
    Does that mean the death of Sir Clive Sinclair is actually The Rapture?
    I was an Acorn kid (literally, later on...), so Sinclair was the anti-Christ...

I had the pleasure of working with Jim Westwood, the tech genius behind the ZX80. He's a great guy; totally self-effacing and down to earth. Although he was working for a real computer company by then. ;)

https://www.theregister.com/2011/11/15/heroes_of_tech_jim_westwood/
    A link to a relevant ten-year-old Register article deserves a like. So you met Sinclair’s #2, and a doctor who decided that playing golf with Ayrton Senna was more important than seeing you.
    Given the performance of the Sinclair C5, I suspect that JJ was the closest connexion Messrs Senna and Sinclair ever had.
    I thought that was worth a Google, and came across this:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/216172850835110581/
    https://mobile.twitter.com/FreemanLowell01/status/1140908309412814848
    That's very nice! Reality beyond the bounds of mere imagination.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2021

Better to have a 1-in-45 infection rate now than back in January.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035
    edited September 2021
    Driver shortage anecdote.
    Hexham to Newcastle.. Waited an hour and a half for a bus this afternoon on way in. Way back no bus from 5:30 till 8 at least. Supposed to be every half hour. Finally got a cab. Just got in.
    Toon at home. Plus bus company 40 drivers short. Not great.
    If you knocked off work at 5 and live past Prudhoe and are reliant on the bus, you aren't home yet.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

France has recalled its ambassadors to the United States and Australia amid a backlash over a deal to supply submarines, the French foreign minister says - PA

That's huge

Throwing their toys out of the pram time
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    On the article, I agree with Alastair Meeks on this one. The idea that the Lib Dems are a moderate party situated between Labour and the Conservatives is out of date.

I am a hitherto floating voter (and Remainer) who joined Labour after the 2019 election. One factor in that decision was that the Lib Dems and Green Party had become too extreme and intolerant, so there was no alternative to Labour I could see myself supporting.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,871

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

It seems so. Surely they'd do best to pretend it was no biggie and look for a chance to get their own back later.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

It seems so. Surely they'd do best to pretend it was no biggie and look for a chance to get their own back later.
    You would have thought so
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's huge

But Biden's Irish heritage means he'll be close to the EU and isolate Britain ... 😂
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

Exactly. It hasn't got "rising above it" written all over it, has it?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

That's one explanation.

Joe le Maxi.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

Michel Barnier must be happy with developments.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

ZeroHedge...but....

FDA's JCVI moment
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    edited September 2021

ZeroHedge...but....

A U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory panel on Friday declined to endorse the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine booster shot for people ages 16 years and older at least six months following the second dose.
    The vote was 2-16. The vote will now go before the FDA to issue a final decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fda-panel-rejects-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-booster-in-people-16-years-and-older/ar-AAOyTne?ocid=st
    Yep - Zero Hedge said 3-16

I know Zero Hedge isn't a reliable source but in this case they weren't far off the mark.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,368

felix said:

One for Roger:

Boris Johnson. 45% (+5)
    Keir Starmer 28% (-7)
    Don't know 28% (+1)

I'm upset with him and Rishi but because they've "gone native" and backed tax rises, not because they're clowning around.
    I will be serious for once.

I don't like Johnson, but not for his politics. I dislike him in the same way you detest Trump.

I can't bear the self-serving narcissism. I can't stand his almost sociopathic disdain for those who doubt his greatness. I can't abide the laziness and the casualty of his commentary and the fluency of his lies. I don't believe that someone who has demonstrated such reckless abandonment for his family, including what I have read, his children has the moral mettle to run a nation.

I am not of the Conservative faith, but neither Mr Cameron or Mrs May would have intentionally placed personal ambition ahead of national unity and wellbeing.

In the same vein I detested Corbyn for putting idealigical dogma ahead of national interest.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ZeroHedge...but....

FDA's JCVI moment
    Tbh for most adults under say 65, there is very little evidence to say that they need boosters. Antibodies wane naturally, but the immune system has been trained. And delta is doing a good job of topping up too. I don’t expect the jcvi to recommenced routine boosters for all adults in the U.K.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

On the article, I agree with Alastair Meeks on this one. The idea that the Lib Dems are a moderate party situated between Labour and the Conservatives is out of date.

I am a hitherto floating voter (and Remainer) who joined Labour after the 2019 election. One factor in that decision was that the Lib Dems and Green Party had become too extreme and intolerant, so there was no alternative to Labour I could see myself supporting.

It's been out of date longer than that. Kennedy attacked New Labour from the Left. Clegg anchored them on the Right.
    It harks back to the days when they were the non-Socialist, not cap doffing Party comfortable with modernity.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

Or journalists over analyse meaningless things to suit a narrative.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Driver shortage anecdote.
    Hexham to Newcastle.. Waited an hour and a half for a bus this afternoon on way in. Way back no bus from 5:30 till 8 at least. Supposed to be every half hour. Finally got a cab. Just got in.
    Toon at home. Plus bus company 40 drivers short. Not great.
    If you knocked off work at 5 and live past Prudhoe and are reliant on the bus, you aren't home yet.

Everything was running fine when I was there in August though. Thoroughly recommend the Twice Brewed Inn, and the micropub in the pele tower in Corbridge
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

Michel Barnier must be happy with developments.
    If he's negotiating things for France they can be sure he will strike a hard bargain.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's huge

That really is an overreaction even if AUKUS had been a stab in the back. Recalling ambassadors as a gesture should be reserved for something a bit more than some diplomatic embarrassment.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

That really is an overreaction even if AUKUS had been a stab in the back. Recalling ambassadors as a gesture should be reserved for something a bit more than some diplomatic embarrassment.
    Le grand strop
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kicorse said:

It's been out of date longer than that. Kennedy attacked New Labour from the Left. Clegg anchored them on the Right.
    It harks back to the days when they were the non-Socialist, not cap doffing Party comfortable with modernity.
    Which is why they're so weak now, because in general that's the Conservative Party nowadays.

HYUFD and JRM excepted.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I see Boris should pass a few more ex-PMs on the length of tenure list very shortly. He just recently passed George Hamilton-Gordon who, as everyone knows, was PM just before Palmeston.

Just another 19 years in power and he has the record.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328
    edited September 2021
    Astounding* that in a matter of weeks Biden has transformed from senile old fecker who betrayed us in Afghanistan to special relationship Joe who's screwed the Frogs. It's like those magical days of 'Biden phoned BJ first' have returned.

*not astounding
  • Options
    Mad Cow Disease back?

And no, not Arlene Foster. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58602051
  • Options

Astounding* that in a matter of weeks Biden has transformed from senile old fecker who betrayed us in Afghanistan to special relationship Joe who's screwed the Frogs. It's like those magical days of 'Biden phoned BJ first' have returned.

*not astounding

On the contrary, some maintain he is still a senile old fecker who betrayed us and he has screwed the Frogs, so it balances out - he's just fecking everyone I guess.

The phone thing is unedifying, except no one comes out looking well because some cannot help but salivate over how British PMs would be humiliated by being further down the list (they wouldn't) which is as sad as being proud of it (i forget the Tory MP who cringed about needing to 'earn' such a call).
  • Options

Mad Cow Disease back?

And no, not Arlene Foster. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58602051

As the story says 5 cases since 2014, I’d say don’t worry.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,246
    France now recalls Ambassadors to US and Australia. Unprecedented between allied nations? Interestingly not from UK. A signal Paris regards Washington and Canberra as ringleaders in plot, with London as accomplice. Expect further French measures targeting interests of all three. https://twitter.com/fheisbourg/status/1438943701280202760
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,855
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

It's "for consultation". That sounds like a reassurance, but I'm not sure if it is to be taken at face value.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,874
    Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

I am going to vent now. Apologies in advance.

But I am SO ANGRY.

Hospital did not refer husband urgently to ENT. After calling them endlessly, still no answer from ENT service. GP has no urgent appointments. NHS 111 promised to get a duty doctor to call. No call.

Now Husband running temperature, feeling worse and throat really quite painful. He has not eaten since Wednesday evening. So he needs some medication, some useful help and it is Friday evening. We are about to embark on our third trip in as many days to A&E and this time I am going inside and will be kicking up a fuss until they do something useful.

If necessary I will drive him to Manchester or Preston or London come to that.

This is just not good enough. It is scary. He is scared. I am furious.

Is there a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital in question? Giving them a hard time would at least relieve the tension. Doesdn't help being Friday, obvfs

Best wishes
    We are in A&E now. In front of me there is a "How are we doing?" board. Don't tempt me!

The priority is getting something to deal with the infection. He can't even swallow a paracetamol. Then we will find an ENT specialist and go private if necessary. Important to find out if there is some underlying reason why this has happened.

Then a letter of complaint will go in. Though as the hospital is in special measures already, they know they're not up to it.

And it's not just the hospital at fault here. All day we have been given the runaround by NHS 111 and the GP with each saying the other should do something and neither accepting responsibility to do anything. Calls are promised but not made.

It's a collective shambles which has made a small problem worse than it should have been.
    Tricky on a Friday night, though Furness Hospital does have on site ENT, as does Preston.

Happy for you to PM me @Cyclefree
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

France now recalls Ambassadors to US and Australia. Unprecedented between allied nations? Interestingly not from UK. A signal Paris regards Washington and Canberra as ringleaders in plot, with London as accomplice. Expect further French measures targeting interests of all three. https://twitter.com/fheisbourg/status/1438943701280202760

They really are having a strop

Embarrassing to the outside
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_xP said:

That's huge

They are being very childish
  • Options

*not astounding

Biden became a Senator in 1972. He has been at or near the top of American politics for 50 years. He knows how to play hardball.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,134

*not astounding

No. What has actually happened is that the American administration has done in each instance what it perceives to be in its national interest. And in the case of Aukus, that just so happens to suit the UK down to the ground.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

kicorse said:

Which is why they're so weak now, because in general that's the Conservative Party nowadays.

HYUFD and JRM excepted.
    Yes. ;)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's huge

Socking it to perfidious Albion and the Americans does play well for France in an election year. They have their flag-shaggers too.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

Socking it to perfidious Albion and the Americans does play well for France in an election year. They have their flag-shaggers too.
    It's a long time to that election, they need to pace themselves.
  • Options
    Canada.
    Average of last 11 polls. Sep 14-16. 20k+ sampled. Parties highest and lowest scores disregarded.

Lib 31.5 (-1.6)
    Con 31.0 (-3.3)
    NDP 20.1 (+4.1)
    PPC 6.9 (+5.3)
    BQ 6.3 (-1.3)
    GP 3.3 (-3.3)

Polls really herding now. 5 Lib leads, 3 Con, 3 ties. Con particularly. All 11 between 30 and 32.
    Enough to make Trudeau favourite. Not enough to make it comfortable or with any confidence.
    Con majority vanishing towards less than 1% chance. Liberal chance diminishing too.
    5.3 million already cast ballots. Not sure if that is steady or brisk though.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Mad Cow Disease back?

That's odd, because a friend of mine died of it in Devon 3 years ago.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's huge

Even my two-year old at her worst doesn't throw strops that big.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427
    kle4 said:

I see Boris should pass a few more ex-PMs on the length of tenure list very shortly. He just recently passed George Hamilton-Gordon who, as everyone knows, was PM just before Palmeston.

If he achieved that the one thing that you could be sure of is that there would be posters on her claiming with complete certainty and confidence that he was rubbish and that people will see through him imminently.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,049
    Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

Have you read Ben Judah's book about London? It was good but very depressing.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's probably another feeble French attempt to insult the UK too

"You're not important enough to recall ambassadors from" etc.

To do anything else might risk giving credit to the idea that we had agency in shaping our own foreign policy outside the EU.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Mad Cow Disease back?

Not from BSE, unless your friend was a cow. CJD by any chance?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

He's a professional politician and he's absolutely played Macron while people were wibbling about how Biden cared about Ireland. 😂
    Biden (and the rest of the American political establishment, especially on the Democrat side) cares very much about Ireland. However, the importance of the Irish situation is also overstated.

What the Americans care about above all is that the open border on the island of Ireland is maintained. Note that this is one thing, also, with which the British Government has never threatened to interfere. I'm far from convinced that the Americans give a monkeys whether or not the UK fiddles the technicalities of its wider agreements with the EU, still less that Boris Johnson pisses off the Northern Irish Unionists. So long as the movement of people and trade within Ireland is allowed to go undisturbed, it looks like that's enough for them.

Turning to the French, they're quite right to suggest that they've been shafted not just by the Americans but, collectively, by Australia, the US and Britain. But it's very hard to feel any sympathy for Macron. He's been one of the leading hardliners in the EU approach to Brexit. If you treat your neighbour as a rival and try to score points off them, you can hardly come over all shocked if the neighbour acts in kind from time to time.
    If Macron wants to play games then he should expect the UK to respond in kind.

He wants help?

He can start by controlling his side of the channel properly.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Mad Cow Disease back?

Human. CJD.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

Biden (and the rest of the American political establishment, especially on the Democrat side) cares very much about Ireland. However, the importance of the Irish situation is also overstated.

What the Americans care about above all is that the open border on the island of Ireland is maintained. Note that this is one thing, also, with which the British Government has never threatened to interfere. I'm far from convinced that the Americans give a monkeys whether or not the UK fiddles the technicalities of its wider agreements with the EU, still less that Boris Johnson pisses off the Northern Irish Unionists. So long as the movement of people and trade within Ireland is allowed to go undisturbed, it looks like that's enough for them.

Turning to the French, they're quite right to suggest that they've been shafted not just by the Americans but, collectively, by Australia, the US and Britain. But it's very hard to feel any sympathy for Macron. He's been one of the leading hardliners in the EU approach to Brexit. If you treat your neighbour as a rival and try to score points off them, you can hardly come over all shocked if the neighbour acts in kind from time to time.

He wants help?

Are we doing the war with France yet? Or do we have to get the next China war out of the way first?
  • Options
    Just thinking of who else we could do deals with to take this even further.

Maybe we could strike an exclusivity agreement to supply garlic to the whole of South-East Asia from the Isle of Wight and drop it all off at Dien Bien Phu?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Mad Cow Disease back?

Human. CJD.
    May or may not have been caused by eating BSE infected beef. The cases in the story are BSE, and not in the food chain.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

No, this is a toddler running amok in Toys'R'us and pulling down everything from every shelf in every single aisle.
  • Options
    On topic. Rentoul's point, that Davey's ruling out formal or informal coalition with the Tories undermines his future negotiating position, should be strengthened by observing that voters will be less likely to switch Con -> LD. It is a foolish move imho.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

If he achieved that the one thing that you could be sure of is that there would be posters on her claiming with complete certainty and confidence that he was rubbish and that people will see through him imminently.
    Viewers in Scotland will have had their own opinion of BJ all along.
  • Options

Just thinking of who else we could do deals with to take this even further.

Maybe we could strike an exclusivity agreement to supply garlic to the whole of South-East Asia from the Isle of Wight and drop it all off at Dien Bien Phu?

Foreigners are soooo hilarious.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

He wants help?

Are we doing the war with France yet?
    Meh. Did that earlier this year.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Mad Cow Disease back?

There was a very interesting Horizon programme a year or two back on BSE and the link with variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (vCJD). There can be very long incubation times for vCJD, potentially 50 years or more.

The full extent of the impact of BSE on the human population will only emerge slowly.
  • Options

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

He wants help?

Are we doing the war with France yet?
    Meh. Did that earlier this year.
    There’s many in England always up for fighting the french. It’s been going on for a thousand years after all...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,474
    edited September 2021
    kle4 said:

Do you mean the Earl of Aberdeen?

Bad form to refer to a peer by their family name. Only Yanks do that.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,910
    edited September 2021
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

Plays well with me too. I just heard an American commentator on Ch4 News saying how corrupt Russia is and what they call democracy is a joke, The opposition are virtually disenfranchised .........

"But " said Matt Frei said "the latest opinion polls show Putin has 58% support against an opposition in the low 20's....."

'Yes but can you believe those pollsters? When you are in fear of talking to pollsters what do you expect......

At which point my willing suspension of disbelief vanished into the ether. We'd just seen a sucession of Russians saying how crap the government was in broad daylight yet we were to believe they quivered in front of the pollsters!

Isn't it time the Americans put their own house in order? They're making themselves look ridiculous and if their hypocrisy continues even the Hartlipudlians might start to notice.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

IshmaelZ said:

Mad Cow Disease back?

There was a very interesting Horizon programme a year or two back on BSE and the link with variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (vCJD). There can be very long incubation times for vCJD, potentially 50 years or more.

The full extent of the impact of BSE on the human population will only emerge slowly.
    At this time I suspect it will be tiny. Incidence according to the nhs is 1 or 2 per million per in the U.K. There has been enough time now if it was going to be a big problem. And besides, if you develop CJD 50 years later, how certain can you be that it was that dodgy burger way back then? CJD does happen without BSE.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

Plays well with me too. I just heard an American commentator on Ch4 News saying how corrupt Russia is and what they call democracy is a joke, The opposition are virtually disenfranchised .........

,,,and then Matt Frei said 'But the latest opinion polls show Putin has 58% support against an opposition in the mid 20's.....'

'Yes but can you believe those pollsters? When you are in fear of talking to pollsters what do you expect......

At which point my willing suspension of disbelief vanished into the ether. We'd just seen a sucession of Russians saying how crap the government was in broad daylight yet we were to believe they quivered in front of the pollsters!

Isn't it time the Americans put their own house in order? They're making themselves look ridiculous and if their hypocrisy continues even the Hartlipudlians might start to notice.
    The only one looking ridiculous tonight is France
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Mad Cow Disease back?

Yes, but the numbers being talked about 2 decades ago never materialised. If it was going to be big, then we would know by now.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,606
    Scott_xP said:

That's huge

hahahahahahahaha

They're going to throw the biggest tantrum since Napoleon got barred from Splash Mountain at Disneyland for being too small
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Mad Cow Disease back?

Yes, but the numbers being talked about 2 decades ago never materialised. If it was going to be big, then we would know by now.
    Yes, fair point.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

As in, issuing proceedings called Giuffre vs Windsor?

If only naming conventions were the principal issue here.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Mad Cow Disease back?

Although if the country worst affected by the BSE epidemic does have a lot of low level CJD, that might explain Le Pen and Macron.

This is a joke, btw. I do not think all of the French have CJD even if they did have more BSE than the rest of the world put together and repeatedly lied about it.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

"But " said Matt Frei said "the latest opinion polls show Putin has 58% support against an opposition in the low 20's....."

I am not too bothered either way. I think that any military role East of Suez* is even more obsolete for us than ever since we handed Hong Kong over to the CCP in 1997.

*I know that we still have stuff in the Persian Gulf.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited September 2021
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

,,,and then Matt Frei said 'But the latest opinion polls show Putin has 58% support against an opposition in the mid 20's.....'

Frei The American commentator is right to question whether polling in Russia can be trusted.

MOSCOW — Russian officials declared the Levada Center, the country’s only major independent pollster, a “foreign agent” on Monday, two weeks before nationwide parliamentary elections and days after a poll showed sliding support for the governing party, United Russia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/world/europe/russia-vladimir-v-putin-levada-center-polling-duma-united-russia.html
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

hahahahahahahaha

They're going to throw the biggest tantrum since Napoleon got barred from Splash Mountain at Disneyland for being too small
    Fun fact: Napoleon and Churchill were the same height
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

As in, issuing proceedings called Giuffre vs Windsor?

If only naming conventions were the principal issue here.
    If Andrew wanted to really mess with their heads,* he could perfectly legitimately say that he is not Andrew Windsor and never has been. He was Andrew of England or Edinburgh and then Andrew, Duke of York. He could even do what most people do and adopt his father’s name…

*This would of course be a considerable improvement on what he is alleged to have messed with in the past.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

That's huge

hahahahahahahaha

Fun fact: Napoleon and Churchill were the same height
    What about their bmi?

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

"Ringleaders of the plot"

Hohohoho

This just gets better

Allies have been stiffing each other over arms deals for a century. It's a tradition. Macron is turning a diplomatic snub and a trade reversal, into a total crisis, which just makes it worse.

I really do think he has taken this personally, see my point below about Biden being all chummy in Cornwall even as he plotted to fuck over Macron. stuff France, and diss the EU
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

An interesting point

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    ·
    1h

And this:

Have you read Ben Judah's book about London? It was good but very depressing.
    Yes I did, yes it wad good, yes it was depressing. I also thought it was an exaggeration. He is prone to hyperbole

And yes, it takes one to know one
This discussion has been closed.