Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest polls having little impact on the next general election betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58547881

Are they trying to lose more votes?

Its f***ing ignorant and out of touch.

A UC claimant doing 2 hours more work gets about £4.50 net after tax and NI and UC taper.

The bad thing is that nobody in the media has a clue how it works either so she can say that and not be challenged there and then for talking through her arse.
    She just has been on ITV main news

You really despair about the inept way she came across

It is reputed 100 conservative mps are against the abolition of the uplift and I really hope they vote with labour later this week and shame HMG
    The thing is they clearly don't understand the system they've created themselves.

The problem for years now is that the income tax rates have been fudged, so now nobody has a clue that doesn't pay attention that the income tax rate for someone on UC is 75% - and its going to be even higher once this recent tax rise goes up too. 🤦‍♂️

Why do we tax those less fortunate than ourselves 75%. Its disgusting and nobody campaigns against it.
    Not sure how the Income tax rate could be 75%. Could you explain?
    "According to Labour, the current system means that a single parent working 30 hours a week on the national living wage loses £573 a month of their universal credit entitlement – equivalent to a marginal tax rate of 75%. It contrasts this with the 47% marginal tax rate faced by people earning over £150,000 a year, such as the prime minister." In that Graun piece I posted just a moment ago.
    OIC, you are referring to marginal tax rate.

Not sure how you deal with that. Not have a UC taper? Abolish UC? Increase the Tax allowance to cover it?
    You can't - which is why everyone tries to avoid talking about the issue
    Universal Basic Income (UBI) gets round the problem. There is no disincentive to work as don't lose any UBI.
    The problem with UBI is that it is so expensive, and the taxes you have to raise to pay for it create a disincentive to work even if the UBI itself doesn't.
    The second problem is that some people will choose not to work, figuring they can get by on UBI, and waste their life smoking dope and playing video games instead of doing something useful. Yes, work can be drudgery and exploitative, but it can also teach discipline and self-reliance.
    The third issue I have with it is more philosophical I suppose: why shouldn't people who are capable of working for a living go out and earn their own money instead of sponging off everyone else?
    Sorry for sounding like a Tory. But I think the government should be doing a lot more for children, the disabled, refugees, the environment etc not simply paying able bodied grown adults to sit on their arses all day!
    The first problem: Yes taxes create a disincentive but unless you're talking about 75% we're looking at a lower disincentive than what exists today.

The second and third problem: People can already do that on our existing welfare system and once doing that the barriers/disincentives for getting into work are much steeper than what would exist under the proposed system.
    Under our existing welfare system you have to be actively seeking work and provide evidence of that to continue to claim.

A UBI by definition would have no such requirement as everyone would get it automatically
    That's not actually quite true.

The benefits system is incredibly complex in the UK, and while some benefits (JSA) are dependent on seeing work, that is supplemented by Housing Benefit and various means tested things.

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    Having just read J. M Trow's Richard 111 and the North I set up a tour of the three castles locally involved - Sandal, Pontefract, and Conisbrough. Sandal was easy to find, free car park on site, cafe available, clear information boards, but not much to see. Pontefract more difficult to find, free car park some distance away, more remains but cafe not open. Conisbrough best preserved but car park privatised and needed to download app to park. Gave up. Sandal and Pontefract local authority run, Conisbrough English Heritage - nuff said.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited September 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noticeable how the Norwegian conservatives still holding Oslo, even in a poor year. Contrast with London.

The map of Norway is entirely red, apart from some blue and green bits in the far south west + Oslo.

Oslo is the 5th most expensive city in the world, it has a lot of rich residents and more in common with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster than Newham or Lewisham or Hackney or Croydon

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/tel-aviv-copenhagen-seoul-geneva-oslo-hong-kong-zurich-paris-singapore-a8257661.html
    Not all wealthy places vote conservative. Eg. Edinburgh.
    Edinburgh voted for Ruth Davidson, Edinburgh is more Conservative than Scotland as a whole (at least it was before Brexit).

Edinburgh is also still not as wealthy as Oslo
    How many Conservative mps and msps does Edinburgh have?
    Edinburgh is not that wealthy, certainly outside of central and west Edinburgh, its average house price is below that of most areas in the home counties let along Chelsea and Westminster. Though before 1997 it still elected a Tory MP in Pentlands and Edinburgh West when most of Scotland had Labour MPs.

The average house in Oslo costs 5.7 million kroner ie about £476,000, significantly more expensive than the average Edinburgh property and home ownership is higher in Oslo than London
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1049493/average-price-residential-property-in-norway-by-city/#:~:text=Oslo was the Norwegian city,kroner as of February 2021.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

A UC claimant doing 2 hours more work gets about £4.50 net after tax and NI and UC taper.

The bad thing is that nobody in the media has a clue how it works either so she can say that and not be challenged there and then for talking through her arse.

It is reputed 100 conservative mps are against the abolition of the uplift and I really hope they vote with labour later this week and shame HMG
    The thing is they clearly don't understand the system they've created themselves.

The problem for years now is that the income tax rates have been fudged, so now nobody has a clue that doesn't pay attention that the income tax rate for someone on UC is 75% - and its going to be even higher once this recent tax rise goes up too. 🤦‍♂️

Why do we tax those less fortunate than ourselves 75%. Its disgusting and nobody campaigns against it.
    "According to Labour, the current system means that a single parent working 30 hours a week on the national living wage loses £573 a month of their universal credit entitlement – equivalent to a marginal tax rate of 75%. It contrasts this with the 47% marginal tax rate faced by people earning over £150,000 a year, such as the prime minister." In that Graun piece I posted just a moment ago.

Not sure how you deal with that. Not have a UC taper? Abolish UC? Increase the Tax allowance to cover it?
    Universal Basic Income (UBI) gets round the problem. There is no disincentive to work as don't lose any UBI.
    The problem with UBI is that it is so expensive, and the taxes you have to raise to pay for it create a disincentive to work even if the UBI itself doesn't.
    The second problem is that some people will choose not to work, figuring they can get by on UBI, and waste their life smoking dope and playing video games instead of doing something useful. Yes, work can be drudgery and exploitative, but it can also teach discipline and self-reliance.
    The third issue I have with it is more philosophical I suppose: why shouldn't people who are capable of working for a living go out and earn their own money instead of sponging off everyone else?
    Sorry for sounding like a Tory. But I think the government should be doing a lot more for children, the disabled, refugees, the environment etc not simply paying able bodied grown adults to sit on their arses all day!
    The first problem: Yes taxes create a disincentive but unless you're talking about 75% we're looking at a lower disincentive than what exists today.

The second and third problem: People can already do that on our existing welfare system and once doing that the barriers/disincentives for getting into work are much steeper than what would exist under the proposed system.
    Under our existing welfare system you have to be actively seeking work and provide evidence of that to continue to claim.

A UBI by definition would have no such requirement as everyone would get it automatically

The benefits system is incredibly complex in the UK, and while some benefits (JSA) are dependent on seeing work, that is supplemented by Housing Benefit and various means tested things.

Yes but a UBI would fund living costs not just housing costs
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

It’s not ignorant. The minimum wage is £8.91 so 2 hours work is just under £18 (close enough).

Of course the reality on the ground is something different - hence out of touch is a fair complaint - but it is accurate
    It is ignorance - the idea that anyone of universal credit can receive money untaxed can only come from someone who has done zero research.

The only way it would occur is if the money was cash in hand and thag opens different issues for a Government minister
    It’s misleading, like all politicians - in the way that a “£100m X from the defence budget would pay for Y nurses instead” is.

But accurate in its own terms
    Its not accurate in its own terms.

The claim was that £20 lost from their bank accounts from UC could be replaced by 2 hours work. It can't. It is entirely false in its own terms.
    Gross wages from 2 hours work are £18.

Politicians mislead. They always have done and always will do.

Btw your original claim was “ignorant” not “inaccurate”. This was not ignorant
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    MaxPB said:

Congrats Max. Great move.

Yeah it's something that I'm really glad we managed to pull off. Every fibre of my being wants to stay in the UK but ultimately I know this is the right move for both of us and our eventual family. My parents are about to finalise buying a villa in Crete so they're not going to be in the UK for 5-7 months of the year and we can go and visit them quite easily in Crete. I think my biggest regret is leaving behind my sister and her family, we're really very close and we see each other almost every other weekend because she lives in North London not particularly far away from us. I hope that in a world of WhatsApp and zoom it won't be as bad.
    The Freedom to live in other countries is something to treasure.
  • Options
    Norway:

Red 99
    Blue 69

86.2% counted

Workers Party heading for victory
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    update your iPhones
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Something else that Switzerland does a lot better than anywhere else in the world is unemployment benefits. A fully contributory system that pays a percentage of your previous wage with a maximum cap for up to 18 months if you've done 3 years of work within the last 4 and 12 months if you've done 2 years in the last 3 or something along those lines. It's generous but difficult to qualify and there's no real concept of long term unemployment or benefits cheats etc... as it's just not possible.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited September 2021
    Two parties currently just under threshold of 4%:

Change from GE 2017

R
    4,57 %
    +2,1

SV
    7,27 %
    +1,2

Ap
    26,32 %
    –1,0

Sp
    13,90 %
    +3,6

MDG
    3,72 %
    +0,5

KrF
    3,99 %
    –0,2

V
    4,15 %
    –0,2

H
    20,43 %
    –4,6

Frp
    11,98 %
    –3,2

Others
    3,67 %
    +2,0
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Noticeable how the Norwegian conservatives still holding Oslo, even in a poor year. Contrast with London.

The map of Norway is entirely red, apart from some blue and green bits in the far south west + Oslo.

Oslo is the 5th most expensive city in the world, it has a lot of rich residents and more in common with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster than Newham or Lewisham or Hackney or Croydon

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/tel-aviv-copenhagen-seoul-geneva-oslo-hong-kong-zurich-paris-singapore-a8257661.html
    Edinburgh voted for Ruth Davidson, Edinburgh is more Conservative than Scotland as a whole (at least it was before Brexit).

Edinburgh is not that wealthy, certainly outside of central and west Edinburgh, its average house price is below that of most areas in the home counties let along Chelsea and Westminster. Though before 1997 it still elected a Tory MP in Pentlands and Edinburgh West when most of Scotland had Labour MPs.

The average house in Oslo costs 5.7 million kroner ie about £476,000, significantly more expensive than the average Edinburgh property and home ownership is higher in Oslo than London
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1049493/average-price-residential-property-in-norway-by-city/#:~:text=Oslo was the Norwegian city,kroner as of February 2021.

Not all wealthy places vote conservative.

Sometimes I wonder if you are a sentient specimen.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    Mike Smithson's comment is right of course. But there is no reason why any short term set of polls right now should adjust the odds on the GE 2024/2023. It is just too far away. There is no data that can seriously separate in likelihood the only two feasible outcomes, NOM and Tory majority. But ATM a Labour majority should be not more than a 5% chance.

Viewed from right now it looks close to a zero% chance, but allowance must be made for black swans - however a 13% chance is ludicrous. 48%/48%/4% is more like it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah it's something that I'm really glad we managed to pull off. Every fibre of my being wants to stay in the UK but ultimately I know this is the right move for both of us and our eventual family. My parents are about to finalise buying a villa in Crete so they're not going to be in the UK for 5-7 months of the year and we can go and visit them quite easily in Crete. I think my biggest regret is leaving behind my sister and her family, we're really very close and we see each other almost every other weekend because she lives in North London not particularly far away from us. I hope that in a world of WhatsApp and zoom it won't be as bad.
    Not really freedom as it's part of the package deal I got when I married my wife!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It is "not in the hands" of ministers to guarantee there will be enough lorries on the roads to deliver presents on time this Christmas, the transport secretary has told MPs
    https://trib.al/EA4BULa

Don't be ridiculous. No HGV license is required for sleds and reindeer.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Something else that Switzerland does a lot better than anywhere else in the world is unemployment benefits. A fully contributory system that pays a percentage of your previous wage with a maximum cap for up to 18 months if you've done 3 years of work within the last 4 and 12 months if you've done 2 years in the last 3 or something along those lines. It's generous but difficult to qualify and there's no real concept of long term unemployment or benefits cheats etc... as it's just not possible.
    Except if you have not contributed enough and are unemployed then you are stuffed in some nations on that basis. Some benefits are also time limited
    I support a more contributory unemployment benefits system but would still provide a basic minimum
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

It’s not ignorant. The minimum wage is £8.91 so 2 hours work is just under £18 (close enough).

Of course the reality on the ground is something different - hence out of touch is a fair complaint - but it is accurate
    It is ignorant since the person working doesn't get £18 due to taper, NI and PAYE income tax. Do you think simply saying "you got £18 extra [but you'll only see £4.50 in your pay packet]" is an adequate response?

Reality on the ground isn't something different, its the system the politicians have created. So the claim was not accurate, earning £18 extra of which you get to keep only £4.50 does not replace £20 lost. It wasn't just inaccurate, it was completely wrong and shows the person speaking doesn't understand the system she is talking about.
    It’s misleading, sure, but you said “ignorant” which is something different. I’m sure she knew exactly what she was doing
    Not stupid, just dishonest.
    Phew!
    She’s a politician
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Mike Smithson's comment is right of course. But there is no reason why any short term set of polls right now should adjust the odds on the GE 2024/2023. It is just too far away. There is no data that can seriously separate in likelihood the only two feasible outcomes, NOM and Tory majority. But ATM a Labour majority should be not more than a 5% chance.

Viewed from right now it looks close to a zero% chance, but allowance must be made for black swans - however a 13% chance is ludicrous. 48%/48%/4% is more like it.

Agreed.

NOM is often priced way too short. I remember Antifrank losing a packet on NOM during one electoral cycle.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Charles said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Full MRP Result:

CON: 311 (-54), 37%
    LAB: 244, (+41), 33%
    SNP: 59* (+11), 5%
    LDM: 12 (+1), 12%
    PLC: 5 (+1), 1%
    GRN: 1 (=), 8%
    RFM: 0 (=), 4%

*That's EVERY Scottish seat for the SNP.
    Hung Parliament, CON 15 short.

Via @ElectCalculus & @FindoutnowUK, 6-8 Sep.
    Changes w/ GE2019. https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1437436633511604236/photo/1

Really silly to emphasise the SNP 59 line. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of Scottish politics knows there that simply isn't going to happen. I presume this is done on the basis of uniform swing, but we know that's just a convenient fiction.
    Oh, quite, but it gives HYUFD something new to get aerated about.
    He doesn't need an excuse.
    When exactly did he turn away from supporting Scottish independence?
    Before my time on PB.
    Not true. Last five years.
    He advocated the morphing of the Conservatives into “the English Nationalist Party” during the summer. Then… predictably… denied all screenshots.
    Plus there's this:
    https://twitter.com/HYUFD1/status/746847388418052096
    I was a Remainer and had a brief tantrum for a week after Leave won.

However compared to most Remainers that was pretty brief, I soon accepted the Brexit result and committed to making the best of it and returned to my normal pre EU Referendum Unionist self
    Do you support the conservative mps who are going to quite rightly vote with labour against the abolition of the £20 UC uplift
    If it was up to me I would be happy to see the abolition of the uplift so long as the real tax rate for poor working people should be slashed.

If the effective real tax rate was slashed to ~30% instead of 75% then absolutely remove the uplift and lets see people work more and keep more of their own money instead.
    But you know that is not going to happen from any political party
    I won't stop banging on about it and hopefully eventually it does get picked up by one party and dealt with.

Why should we have a real tax rate of 75%? How is that appropriate, fair or reasonable? How is it economic either as there'll be serious Laffer consequences from taxing at 75%.
    Can you tell me where the peak is on the applicable Laffer curve?
    I think HMRC did some work for Osborne and came out with 47-48%.

Feels instinctively about right - the government taking more than 50% in direct taxation feels wrong.
    Osborne? You mean before we left the EU?
    Do you think leaving the EU will have influenced things?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edinburgh may be wealthy in Scottish terms but in UK terms it is not much higher than the average, certainly nowhere near as wealthy as Surrey or Bucks or Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Except if you have not contributed enough and are unemployed then you are stuffed, Switzerland has no non contributory benefits. The benefits are also time limited.

I support a more contributory unemployment benefits system but would still provide a basic minimum
    The contribution is time based and only needs 12 months of work in the last 24 to qualify at 80% of your previous wage for 6 months. It's a very low bar and because they don't have idiotic things like housing benefits or in work subsidies no one lives beyond their means and employers pay decent wages so 80% is not an issue.

If we'd had that benefits system the UK would have voted to remain in the EU.
  • Options
    Taz said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

On humour:-

- Laurel and Hardy: still very funny indeed.
    - Some Like it Hot and Dr Strangelove - sublime
    - Surprised no-one mentioned Frasier which is one of the best TV comedies ever: a wonderful mix of character, farce, wit and physical comedy. David Hyde-Pierce is a brilliant comic actor.
    - Stand ups: Victoria Wood - taken far too early. She had so much to give still. Dylan Moran. Eddie Izzard - when he was a comedian (and not the pompous bore he's now become). But the master of them all is still Dave Allen.
    - Yes Minister is still very funny. Blackadder too.
    - David Sedaris has written and delivered some very funny pieces.

But the best comedy to my mind combines observation, unexpected connections and some underlying truth. Too much of it nowadays is so predictable and therefore unfunny.

Frasier is probably my favourite tv comedy I reckon
    Curb your Enthusiasm or any Alan Partridge for me.
    Curb can be sublime.

Of course, the fact that our house is one episode (albeit only for about two seconds) is another bonus.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Not really freedom as it's part of the package deal I got when I married my wife!
    Well done to both of you, well coordinated indeed!

• Options

Cyclefree said:

- Surprised no-one mentioned Frasier which is one of the best TV comedies ever: a wonderful mix of character, farce, wit and physical comedy. David Hyde-Pierce is a brilliant comic actor.
    - Stand ups: Victoria Wood - taken far too early. She had so much to give still. Dylan Moran. Eddie Izzard - when he was a comedian (and not the pompous bore he's now become). But the master of them all is still Dave Allen.

But the best comedy to my mind combines observation, unexpected connections and some underlying truth. Too much of it nowadays is so predictable and therefore unfunny.

We share the same tastes. Ticks on every one you list.

Victoria Wood on I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue was a work of wonder.

I only discovered Sedaris last year. Totally in awe.
    It's well worth going to a Sedaris event. Once you've heard him read his books, then his voice is forever in your head.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Tuesday’s Financial Times: Johnson’s £15bn ‘stupid tunnel’ killed off in Treasury crackdown #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1437511468900028417/photo/1

It's a depressing point to make but one that needs to be made nonetheless: a lot of this extra "investment" in public services will simply be soaked up by higher wages and prices.

We won't see any difference in output, and that's if we're lucky. We might very well tax ourselves into stagnation and see public services go backwards as well.
    Liz Truss (reportedly) had the right answer. If the issue is a temporary backlog due to the lockdown etc then have temporary borrowing to cover the temporary costs. Keep the permanent tax rates to match the permanent expenditure.

That way the Treasury and the NHS know they need to get value for money and clear the backlog as the borrowing can't go on forever.

Instead we've seen a permanent tax rise, which will go to permanent pay rises, and then where do we stand?
    If you look at NHS (80% spend on oldies) and Pensions (100% spend on oldies) then that's over 50% of all Government spending now and what's sucking all the oxygen out the room.

We really must start trimming entitlements there or we're going to break the bucket.
    Especially as we’ve now stopped young people migrating here.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edinburgh may be wealthy in Scottish terms but in UK terms it is not much higher than the average, certainly nowhere near as wealthy as Surrey or Bucks or Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea
    Point proven. Completely incapable of thinking outside own tedious little box.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Oslo is the 5th most expensive city in the world, it has a lot of rich residents and more in common with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster which are still Conservative than Labour Newham or Lewisham or Hackney or Croydon

I'm struggling to think of places less like Kensington & Chelsea than Oslo. Mogadishu?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Full MRP Result:

Changes w/ GE2019. https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1437436633511604236/photo/1

Really silly to emphasise the SNP 59 line. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of Scottish politics knows there that simply isn't going to happen. I presume this is done on the basis of uniform swing, but we know that's just a convenient fiction.
    Before my time on PB.
    He advocated the morphing of the Conservatives into “the English Nationalist Party” during the summer. Then… predictably… denied all screenshots.
    Plus there's this:

However compared to most Remainers that was pretty brief, I soon accepted the Brexit result and committed to making the best of it and returned to my normal pre EU Referendum Unionist self
    Do you support the conservative mps who are going to quite rightly vote with labour against the abolition of the £20 UC uplift
    If it was up to me I would be happy to see the abolition of the uplift so long as the real tax rate for poor working people should be slashed.

If the effective real tax rate was slashed to ~30% instead of 75% then absolutely remove the uplift and lets see people work more and keep more of their own money instead.
    I won't stop banging on about it and hopefully eventually it does get picked up by one party and dealt with.

Why should we have a real tax rate of 75%? How is that appropriate, fair or reasonable? How is it economic either as there'll be serious Laffer consequences from taxing at 75%.

Feels instinctively about right - the government taking more than 50% in direct taxation feels wrong.
    Probably not. Laffer curve relates to individual response to incentives on work
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

I have lived for significant portions of time in USA, Australia, and New Zealand. Living in another country is a great experience, and the distance helps understand both what is good and bad about home. The freedom to be able to do so is not available to everyone, for a variety of reasons, family, health, economics, it is to be embraced when the chance comes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

It's well worth going to a Sedaris event. Once you've heard him read his books, then his voice is forever in your head.
    It’s through his voice I learned to love him. I subsequently borrowed one of his books from the library, but really struggled with it. But that voice! Mesmerising. Would love to see him live.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Tuesday’s Financial Times: Johnson’s £15bn ‘stupid tunnel’ killed off in Treasury crackdown #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1437511468900028417/photo/1

It's a depressing point to make but one that needs to be made nonetheless: a lot of this extra "investment" in public services will simply be soaked up by higher wages and prices.

We won't see any difference in output, and that's if we're lucky. We might very well tax ourselves into stagnation and see public services go backwards as well.
    Liz Truss (reportedly) had the right answer. If the issue is a temporary backlog due to the lockdown etc then have temporary borrowing to cover the temporary costs. Keep the permanent tax rates to match the permanent expenditure.

That way the Treasury and the NHS know they need to get value for money and clear the backlog as the borrowing can't go on forever.

Instead we've seen a permanent tax rise, which will go to permanent pay rises, and then where do we stand?
    If you look at NHS (80% spend on oldies) and Pensions (100% spend on oldies) then that's over 50% of all Government spending now and what's sucking all the oxygen out the room.

We really must start trimming entitlements there or we're going to break the bucket.
    Austerity - for the rest of government spending - is permanent.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Farooq said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Full MRP Result:

Before my time on PB.
    Plus there's this:

But moving a person and/or a business across a border that has increased barriers compared to ten years ago could well change the tolerance for staying put.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Many congratulations @MaxPB I wish you and your wife all happiness and success.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Curb can be sublime.

Of course, the fact that our house is one episode (albeit only for about two seconds) is another bonus.
    My uncle’s house was used for Miss Marple, while my private office was in Bridget Jones and various others
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

And not just here. The demographics are fairly universal. Even many developing countries are ageing quickly.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Except if you have not contributed enough and are unemployed then you are stuffed, Switzerland has no non contributory benefits. The benefits are also time limited.

The contribution is time based and only needs 12 months of work in the last 24 to qualify at 80% of your previous wage for 6 months. It's a very low bar and because they don't have idiotic things like housing benefits or in work subsidies no one lives beyond their means and employers pay decent wages so 80% is not an issue.

Switzerland is not in the EU
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Full MRP Result:

Before my time on PB.
    Plus there's this:

But moving a person and/or a business across a border that has increased barriers compared to ten years ago could well change the tolerance for staying put.
    Commission someone to rerun the analysis then.
  • Options
    Just heard Boris Johnson's mother has died.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Oslo is the 5th most expensive city in the world, it has a lot of rich residents and more in common with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster which are still Conservative than Labour Newham or Lewisham or Hackney or Croydon

I'm struggling to think of places less like Kensington & Chelsea than Oslo. Mogadishu?
    What an absurd comment, Oslo is one of the most expensive cities in Europe let alone the world
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

And not just here. The demographics are fairly universal. Even many developing countries are ageing quickly.
    Part of the answer is productivity. We need intense investment in new technology so that the dwindling remaining young workers can deliver for the ageing population.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

I'm honestly not sure how to respond to this.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

you . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .the point
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Clearly you are, the average house price in Edinburgh is below the average house price in the East and SW of England let alone the South East of England and the richest parts of London.

Hence in UK general elections it does not vote Tory, in UK terms it is not that wealthy an area
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Part of the answer is productivity. We need intense investment in new technology so that the dwindling remaining young workers can deliver for the ageing population.
    No, it's the other way around. We decide exactly what is deliverable to the older population and then stop chasing life expectancy gain.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021
    Huge congratulations @MaxPB. Hope you will continue to post on PB despite your new location, the UK is losing a great talent in you.

And best wishes to your wife too, sending good luck
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Clearly you are, the average house price in Edinburgh is below the average house price in the East and SW of England let alone the South East of England and the richest parts of London.

Hence in UK general elections it does not vote Tory, in UK terms it is not that wealthy an area
    Edinburgh is not in East and SW of England
    (this is what you're like)
  • Options
    With 90% of votes counted, two parties - one from each bloc - look like they have failed to reach the 4% threshold.

Christian Democrats (blue): 3.95%
    Greens (red): 3.76%

This is a bigger blow to the blue bloc than the red, as the Christian Democrats had 8 legislators whereas the Greens only had one.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Curb can be sublime.

My uncle’s house was used for Miss Marple, while my private office was in Bridget Jones and various others
    My sister in law lives in the same suburban estate used for the Dursleys in Harry Potter.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

It’s through his voice I learned to love him. I subsequently borrowed one of his books from the library, but really struggled with it. But that voice! Mesmerising. Would love to see him live.
    Lots of his spoken stuff has been on R4, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be archived on BBC Sounds.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Many congratulations @MaxPB I wish you and your wife all happiness and success.

Cheers mate!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

you . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .the point
    In any case it was downward pressure on wages from migration especially from Eastern Europe without transition controls which was the main reason for working class voters voting Leave, not the fact we did not have a more contributory benefits system
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited September 2021
    Looks like a lot of parties are close to the threshold in Norway.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Lots of his spoken stuff has been on R4, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be archived on BBC Sounds.
    Podbean is a godsend!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is in the UK and in UK terms Edinburgh average house prices are about the same as those in the West Midlands
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

With 90% of votes counted, two parties - one from each bloc - look like they have failed to reach the 4% threshold.

This is a bigger blow to the blue bloc than the red, as the Christian Democrats had 8 legislators whereas the Greens only had one.

The Christian Democrats suffered from the same problem that the LibDems did here - they joined a Conservative government. Half their voters were not amused.
  • Options

Huge congratulations @MaxPB. Hope you will continue to post on PB despite your new location, the UK is losing a great talent in you.

Thanks CHB! I think it's an odd sensation because in the back of my mind I know this is probably a forever move and eventually coming back to the UK will be visiting and going to Switzerland will be going home.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Thanks CHB! I think it's an odd sensation because in the back of my mind I know this is probably a forever move and eventually coming back to the UK will be visiting and going to Switzerland will be going home.
    We will miss you hugely here I am sure - but you have to do what is right for you and your family at all times. As a visitor, we will still be all the better for you being here even occasionally.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is in the UK and in UK terms Edinburgh average house prices are about the same as those in the West Midlands
    The West Midlands is not in Edinburgh.
    (this is going to become a regular feature)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

I have lived for significant portions of time in USA, Australia, and New Zealand. Living in another country is a great experience, and the distance helps understand both what is good and bad about home. The freedom to be able to do so is not available to everyone, for a variety of reasons, family, health, economics, it is to be embraced when the chance comes.
    Yes, I've spent five happy years in the US and three very happy ones in the Caribbean. We are blessed to live on a beautiful planet, full of a variety of interesting things, people and places. Everyone should have the opportunity to travel, experience other places, live and work overseas, it is so odd to me that some people are so fixated on preventing other people from enjoying these privileges. The most interesting thing about travel is that when (if) you return home, you appreciate it all the more.
  • Options

The Christian Democrats suffered from the same problem that the LibDems did here - they joined a Conservative government. Half their voters were not amused.
    The Christian Democrats had supported the Conservatives in 2013 too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

In any case it was downward pressure on wages from migration especially from Eastern Europe without transition controls which was the main reason for working class voters voting Leave, not the fact we did not have a more contributory benefits system
    Switzerland's not in Eastern Europe.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    This has been one of the poorest discussion threads on PB for a while. Rather than current mid term polls in tricky period for government being meaningless, they are an excellent long term guide of what is likely to happen at next GE. If polling is as bad for Labour now as it is this week, you’d have to be McCawber to think there is anything that can get the electorate to accept Starmer as PM. If he fails to gain 45+ seats he is toast, his party won’t give him a second chance, and on mid term polling he isn’t getting anywhere near gaining 40 seats. Labour elected a remainer dud.

It’s Red Brex. Lifelong Labour voters sticking with the Tory party in key urban and metropolitan constituencies, don’t over preoccupy on the north, it’s solidly Tory midlands Labour are not making roads into as the next GE results get read out.

Betting wise, any money placed on Starmer as next PM is straight down the drain, Red Brex are telling you this today, how they are answering every poll question. On who would make best PM Starmer is going backwards in mid term protest polls.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

The major driver of it was our non-contributory benefits system. Your inability to deduce never ceases to amaze me, sometimes it is exactly like interacting with an AI.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

This has been one of the poorest discussion threads on PB for a while. Rather than current mid term polls in tricky period for government being meaningless, they are an excellent long term guide of what is likely to happen at next GE. If polling is as bad for Labour now as it is this week, you’d have to be McCawber to think there is anything that can get the electorate to accept Starmer as PM. If he fails to gain 45+ seats he is toast, his party won’t give him a second chance, and on mid term polling he isn’t getting anywhere near gaining 40 seats. Labour elected a remainer dud.

It’s Red Brex. Lifelong Labour voters sticking with the Tory party in key urban and metropolitan constituencies, don’t over preoccupy on the north, it’s solidly Tory midlands Labour are not making roads into as the next GE results get read out.

Betting wise, any money placed on Starmer as next PM is straight down the drain, Red Brex are telling you this today, how they are answering every poll question. On who would make best PM Starmer is going backwards in mid term protest polls.

You keep telling us it's a disaster for Labour - I very strongly disagree.

They lost in a landslide and even three months ago the Tories were 20 points ahead. Labour is clearly going in the right direction.

I personally believe the next election is likely to be 2010 in reverse, the polls leading up to 2010 were never a massive lead one way or the other.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Have I missed some news?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Looks like a lot of parties are close to the threshold in Norway.

Not really now. With 92.1% of votes counted it looks like the Communists, Socialist Left and Liberals are all safely over the threshold.
  • Options
    Vax vax vax...

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

Belated congratulations and best wishes. I was extremely happy in Switzerland - it was only love of politics that brought me back, as Swiss politics are... not very exciting. One tip for what it's worth - don't only cluster with other UK exiles but dip into the local culture too. It might be better or worse but it's interestingly different, and the Brits who hang about in the English-speaking club playing bingo and making jokes about the Swiss are just missing out for no good reason. Will be interested to hear what you make of it.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

The move to a service based economy does rather limit productivity rises. A restaurant could have one server for 12 tables rather than 6, but would it be the same experience?

There is an interesting case to be made that stagnant productivity is a feature of late economic development.

Vollrath wrote an interesting book featuring this idea.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

The major driver of it was our non-contributory benefits system. Your inability to deduce never ceases to amaze me, sometimes it is exactly like interacting with an AI.
    I do genuinely think at times HYUFD is here to play some sort of line and he has to stick to it, I think he's a nice enough chap but it is a bit odd
  • Options
    R (comm)
    4,66 %
    +2,2

SV (socialist left)
    7,41 %
    +1,4

Ap (workers)
    26,34 %
    –1,0

Sp (centre party)
    13,72 %
    +3,5

MDG (greens)
    3,79 %
    +0,5

KrF (christian dem)
    3,92 %
    –0,3

V (liberals)
    4,29 %
    –0,1

H (conservatives)
    20,38 %
    –4,7

Frp (populist right)
    11,84 %
    –3,3
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

The Swiss did impose transition controls on migrants from Eastern Europe in 2004 unlike the Blair government here
  • Options
    Boris Johnson’s mother Charlotte Johnson-Wahl dies ‘suddenly and peacefully’ at the age of 79
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

No the main driver of it was the failure of the Blair government to impose transition controls on free movement from Eastern Europe unlike most EU nations leading to downward pressures on wages and pressure on housing and public servcies.

A more contributory benefits system may have helped but it was the downward pressure on wages and competition for low skilled jobs working class Leavers were voting against
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Belated congratulations and best wishes. I was extremely happy in Switzerland - it was only love of politics that brought me back, as Swiss politics are... not very exciting. One tip for what it's worth - don't only cluster with other UK exiles but dip into the local culture too. It might be better or worse but it's interestingly different, and the Brits who hang about in the English-speaking club playing bingo and making jokes about the Swiss are just missing out for no good reason. Will be interested to hear what you make of it.
    Thanks, my German is a bit rubbish but on the other hand my Italian is pretty good now. Not sure how useful it will be in Zurich though. Might try and find the Italian speaking Swiss people in Zurich and make friends with them. Last time I lived out there I hung around mostly with people from work which was a mistake in retrospect as you never really get away from them. My wife has a fairly well established network in Zurich but I'll be starting from scratch so appreciate the advice!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

The Swiss did impose transition controls on migrants from Eastern Europe in 2004 unlike the Blair government here
    Blair wasn't a migrant in 2004
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

You are Hal 9000 and I claim my five pounds.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Just had an 8 page glossy A4 magazine through the door by Yes.Scot headed "A referendum for recovery". That has cost someone a bob or two.

Royal Mail, or activist-delivered? Nothing like that for me (Aberdeenshire).
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Just had an 8 page glossy A4 magazine through the door by Yes.Scot headed "A referendum for recovery". That has cost someone a bob or two.

Royal Mail, or activist-delivered? Nothing like that for me (Aberdeenshire).
    Hand delivered.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Have I missed some news?
    Yeah, just some personal news, my wife and I are moving to Zurich next year, my company finally approved the move after 6 months of dithering.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Thanks, my German is a bit rubbish but on the other hand my Italian is pretty good now. Not sure how useful it will be in Zurich though. Might try and find the Italian speaking Swiss people in Zurich and make friends with them. Last time I lived out there I hung around mostly with people from work which was a mistake in retrospect as you never really get away from them. My wife has a fairly well established network in Zurich but I'll be starting from scratch so appreciate the advice!
    Learn German. Well. Very, very well. Make a genuine effort to integrate. Avoid English-language media and environments, especially in the early years. Do not send your children to English/“international” cult schools. Swiss schools only.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

gealbhan said:

even three months ago the Tories were 20 points ahead. .
    Total lie CHB where do you get that from.
  • Options

Boris Johnson’s mother Charlotte Johnson-Wahl dies ‘suddenly and peacefully’ at the age of 79

RIP, she famously once declared she had never voted Tory
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/28/boris-johnson-mother-charlotte-johnson-wahl-paintings_n_8210450.html
  • Options
    If anyone is uncomfortable with the thought of Rayner a heartbeat away from PM, so can’t vote Labour because of it, you may soon lose your excuse. The role of deputy leader can be looked at conference. Starmer almost certainly has the 2/3 majority at NEC to scrap the pointless and vote losing elected deputy post, and be able to appoint his own veep to stand in for him, which is far saner than having a deputy leader dumped on a leader, or a PM like Rainer dumper on the British People, so eminently sellable as a tweak to help Labour be more electable.

Are there any Labour members on tonight. How do you feel about Starmer being rid of the liability of Rayner using this mechanism, and say, nominating Reeves to fill in for him instead?

You can’t possibly argue against Starmer doing this surely?
  • Options

Yet the Social Democrats in Germany were in a Conservative-led government and seem to be doing rather well.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Have I missed some news?
    Yeah, just some personal news, my wife and I are moving to Zurich next year, my company finally approved the move after 6 months of dithering.
    Best of luck!! Exciting times.

Hopefully you will be allowed access to PB to update us on the politics of the cantons.
  • Options
    All over bar the shouting/bubbling.

Clear victory for the Red bloc.

Christian Democrats leave the Storting.

Greens fail to enter the Storting.

Reds enter the Storting.

Both big parties lose vote share: Workers down 1 point; Conservatives down 5 points.

Biggest winners: Centre Party, up 3.4 points.

(95% of votes counted)
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

If anyone is uncomfortable with the thought of Rayner a heartbeat away from PM, so can’t vote Labour because of it, you may soon lose your excuse. The role of deputy leader can be looked at conference. Starmer almost certainly has the 2/3 majority at NEC to scrap the pointless and vote losing elected deputy post, and be able to appoint his own veep to stand in for him, which is far saner than having a deputy leader dumped on a leader, or a PM like Rainer dumper on the British People, so eminently sellable as a tweak to help Labour be more electable.

Are there any Labour members on tonight. How do you feel about Starmer being rid of the liability of Rayner using this mechanism, and say, nominating Reeves to fill in for him instead?

You can’t possibly argue against Starmer doing this surely?

We don't have that kind of system. The PM is he or she who can command the confidence of the Commons. If a PM dies, the role of deputy party leader might well influence some MPs but it will not decide a thing.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Curb can be sublime.

The first Bridget Jones?
  • Options
    edited September 2021

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Learn German. Well. Very, very well. Make a genuine effort to integrate. Avoid English-language media and environments, especially in the early years. Do not send your children to English/“international” cult schools. Swiss schools only.
    I just really loathe the language but it's on the list of things to do. I was actually being fairly serious about finding the Italian speaking people in Zurich, my Italian is pretty good, I'm not fluent but could probably live in Italy (or Lugano) without too many people realising I'm not a native.

On education, it's one of the primary motivators to move to Switzerland. The education system for primary and secondary is, IMO, world class. My wife got such a broader education than I did and the attitude to achievement and expectations in Switzerland is much better than what I experienced vs what she experienced.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Was it though? Would immigrants coming for benefits put downward pressure on wages? Surely they are mostly coming here to work at higher wages than they'd been getting in the old country? Both could be true, of course.

But as a cause of Brexit? To a point but a lot of red wall and seaside towns were economically harmed before notable immigration.
  • Options
    Just a bit of fun...

In May 1992, the average of the polls was about C44L36, a Conservative lead of 8 points or so.
    By early September 1992, that had closed to roughly C40L40.
    The funny thing is that the polls started to close before John Smith became leader, and well before Black Wednesday. In fact, the funniest thing is that Black Wednesday didn't really show up in the trends- there was no Conservative collapse, no Labour surge, just a continuation of the same smooth decay that had already started. Sure, crossover happened in September, but that was already written in the stars, so to speak. What did for Major was a combination of how low that gradual fall took him and how hard it was to pick up afterwards.

(Have a look here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election)

PB wasn't around in 1992, but it's easy to imagine people looking at the late September polling and being intensely relaxed about how Black Wednesday hadn't really cut though etc...

Fast-forward to now.
    In May 2019, the average of the polls was about C43L32 and by the start of this month that had closed to about C39L34. So Johnson's Conservatives are doing about as well as Major's Conservatives and Starmer's Labour is doing noticeably worse than Smith's Labour. How much that is just because Scottish voters have decided to play their own games instead, I don't know.

Trends don't last forever. But the current trend is not in the Conservatives' favour and a prolonged gradual decline adds up to a lot.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Have I missed some news?
    Best of luck!! Exciting times.

Hopefully you will be allowed access to PB to update us on the politics of the cantons.
    Thanks! Don't think Switzerland has got a Chinese style firewall just yet or that the UK will put one up so I'll still be kicking around these parts. Swiss politics are fairly dull and I won't be able to vote until I'm a citizen which won't be a fast process
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited September 2021
    slade said:

Having just read J. M Trow's Richard 111 and the North I set up a tour of the three castles locally involved - Sandal, Pontefract, and Conisbrough. Sandal was easy to find, free car park on site, cafe available, clear information boards, but not much to see. Pontefract more difficult to find, free car park some distance away, more remains but cafe not open. Conisbrough best preserved but car park privatised and needed to download app to park. Gave up. Sandal and Pontefract local authority run, Conisbrough English Heritage - nuff said.

You would normally be able to find somewhere else to park locally although I'd have to agree about English Heritage. It is definitely worth a visit despite that. Walter Scott certainly seemed to think so...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I just really loathe the language but it's on the list of things to do. I was actually being fairly serious about finding the Italian speaking people in Zurich, my Italian is pretty good, I'm not fluent but could probably live in Italy (or Lugano) without too many people realising I'm not a native.

On education, it's one of the primary motivators to move to Switzerland. The education system for primary and secondary is, IMO, world class. My wife got such a broader education than I did and the attitude to achievement and expectations in Switzerland is much better than what I experienced vs what she experienced.
    Your experience is going to be profoundly unhappy if your first sentence is remotely true. How anyone can “really loathe” a language is way, way beyond my comprehension. It’s like saying you really loathe the colour green, but are quite keen on botany and arboriculture. Bonkers.

Good luck anyway, but if you want to live in Ticino, move to Ticino, not Zürich.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Absolutely bad response from CBH. I’m pointing to Red Brex sticking with the Tories as being the key voting group in the coming years as it’s clearly not unwinding at all, and sort of baffled by the response I’m getting to that. But unlike many of the others who can’t get their heads round the screaming obvious, you understand Big John because you are Red Brex, and conflicted about the Starmer Project?

Or maybe I am bad, because so many posters like polling night to play with the seat calcs and chance to discuss fantasy politics, this coalition v that black swan = this particular policy compromise, but I came in with the obvious and boring facts about current polling and spoilt the fun?

Sorry.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Absolutely bad response from CBH. I’m pointing to Red Brex sticking with the Tories as being the key voting group in the coming years as it’s clearly not unwinding at all, and sort of baffled by the response I’m getting to that. But unlike many of the others who can’t get their heads round the screaming obvious, you understand Big John because you are Red Brex, and conflicted about the Starmer Project?

Or maybe I am bad, because so many posters like polling night to play with the seat calcs and chance to discuss fantasy politics, this coalition v that black swan = this particular policy compromise, but I came in with the obvious and boring facts about current polling and spoilt the fun?

Sorry.
    It's CHB, not CBH.
This discussion has been closed.