Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest polls having little impact on the next general election betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well I've just had some pretty big news, both my wife and I have had our request to work from Zurich permanently approved by our respective companies. She's going to stay employed by the UK parent company for a while and I'll switch over to the local Switzerland subsidiary. We have to wait until October 2022 to go as her company wants to staff up it's Swiss AML division before they send her there but it looks like this is a done deal as we both have agreements in principle in writing.

It's been coming for a while, the worst bit will be telling my sister and parents that we're going there. The second worst bit is telling my mother in law that we're within an hour's train journey from her house.

Many congratulations and moving to Switzerland must be very exciting
    Thanks Big_G, I'm not sure exciting is the correct word for it, more like relief. We put the request in way back in March and it's taken a long time to convince my company to go ahead with it. I think the delay to October 2022 has helped convince them.
    Yes but what a country to go and live in
  • Options

Michael Gove is spot on about Prince Charles.

Michael Gove made crude sexual comments, joked about paedophilia within top levels of government, and used a racist slur in a series of remarks in his twenties, The Independent can reveal.

The Cabinet Office minister also described Prince Charles as a “dull, wet, drippy adulterer” in speeches at the Cambridge Union while he was a student at Oxford, and after his graduation while working as a journalist.

In apparent attempts at humour, Mr Gove referred to people living in countries colonised by the British as “fuzzy-wuzzies”, accused the late former Tory minister Sir Leon Brittan of being a paedophile, and made a string of sexual jokes at the expense of Conservative minister Lucy Frazer.

The chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster, who has been tipped for the position of either foreign secretary or home secretary in a potential reshuffle, also described Margaret Thatcher’s policies as a “new empire” where “the happy south stamps over the cruel, dirty, toothless face of the northerner”, and said that gay people “thrive primarily upon short-term relations”.

Mr Gove made the comments – which were met at the time by cheers, stunned laughter, and shouts of “shame” – at three evening debates at the Cambridge Union in February 1993, December 1993 and during the winter of 1987, recordings of which came to light this week.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-gove-sexist-racist-speech-b1918058.html

Wow. Have these remarks just been unearthed, or was someone sitting on them, waiting for the right time to go public? If the latter then who?
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58547881

Are they trying to lose more votes?

Its f***ing ignorant and out of touch.

A UC claimant doing 2 hours more work gets about £4.50 net after tax and NI and UC taper.

The bad thing is that nobody in the media has a clue how it works either so she can say that and not be challenged there and then for talking through her arse.
    She just has been on ITV main news

You really despair about the inept way she came across

It is reputed 100 conservative mps are against the abolition of the uplift and I really hope they vote with labour later this week and shame HMG
    The thing is they clearly don't understand the system they've created themselves.

The problem for years now is that the income tax rates have been fudged, so now nobody has a clue that doesn't pay attention that the income tax rate for someone on UC is 75% - and its going to be even higher once this recent tax rise goes up too. 🤦‍♂️

Why do we tax those less fortunate than ourselves 75%. Its disgusting and nobody campaigns against it.
    Not sure how the Income tax rate could be 75%. Could you explain?
    "According to Labour, the current system means that a single parent working 30 hours a week on the national living wage loses £573 a month of their universal credit entitlement – equivalent to a marginal tax rate of 75%. It contrasts this with the 47% marginal tax rate faced by people earning over £150,000 a year, such as the prime minister." In that Graun piece I posted just a moment ago.
    OIC, you are referring to marginal tax rate.

Not sure how you deal with that. Not have a UC taper? Abolish UC? Increase the Tax allowance to cover it?
    You can't - which is why everyone tries to avoid talking about the issue
    Universal Basic Income (UBI) gets round the problem. There is no disincentive to work as don't lose any UBI.
    Yet house rents are so high that you would need to have a UBI of £20,000+ in London and other places - it just isn't possible
    That's assuming the person does zero work whatsoever and lives on their own does it not?
    That is a scenario UBI has to cover - the lone adult between jobs
    Why? Our tax system today doesn't necessarily cover that does it?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

isam said:

The latest prediction is Con majority of 4 - and I predict that is going down down down

Their main prediction is based on the average of the latest polls, not the last one taken, keep up
    The last one taken is from a firm without a polling record and without a client.
    Yes, that's the one that gives a Con majority of 4 isnt it?
  • Options
    Congratulations MaxPB that's great news. Happy for you.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

Stocky said:

Boris has introduced a 1.25% hypothecated tax from 2023 to be shown on all pay slips for the NHS and social care

I would just pose the question that many people like the idea of a hypothecated tax, so surely it can only be arranged through NI or income tax

How could any other tax be defined as hypothecated

I am not an expert so I just put this up for debate by those who may know the answer

I understand that the reason they chose NI rather than income tax is to ensure consistency across the union. If true then another unintended consequence of devolution?
    Thanks
    Wasn't a consequence of devolution per se. The original devolution settlement was much simpler: allow the SG only a single percentage point up or down on basic rate of income tax, IIRC.

It was a consequence, rather, of the Unionist fiddling on the Smith Commission after indyref1 to try and enmesh the Scottish Government aka SNP in a fiscal trap (for instance, deny the SG the power to vary tax oin dividends, to stop evasion of income tax by company directors and the self-employed). But when they enacted a new Scotland Act the Tories ended up screwing themselves as well.

"We are used to hearing that the devolution settlement is constraining the policy choices of the Scottish Government. The notion that the devolution settlement might potentially constrain the UK Government’s policy choices comes as something of a surprise."

https://fraserofallander.org/funding-a-rise-in-social-care-spending-england-implications-for-the-scottish-budget/

• Options
    Charles said:

A UC claimant doing 2 hours more work gets about £4.50 net after tax and NI and UC taper.

The bad thing is that nobody in the media has a clue how it works either so she can say that and not be challenged there and then for talking through her arse.

It is reputed 100 conservative mps are against the abolition of the uplift and I really hope they vote with labour later this week and shame HMG
    So just to confirm:

- no more taxes
    - More spending on stuff you like
    - Reduce the deficit

How do you propose to achieve that?
    Economic growth.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    MaxPB said:

Well I've just had some pretty big news, both my wife and I have had our request to work from Zurich permanently approved by our respective companies. She's going to stay employed by the UK parent company for a while and I'll switch over to the local Switzerland subsidiary. We have to wait until October 2022 to go as her company wants to staff up it's Swiss AML division before they send her there but it looks like this is a done deal as we both have agreements in principle in writing.

It's been coming for a while, the worst bit will be telling my sister and parents that we're going there. The second worst bit is telling my mother in law that we're within an hour's train journey from her house.

Enjoy Zurich but you might want a payrise as Switzerland is very expensive
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Congrats!

As I announced a week or so ago, I’m moving myself - to New York.

That’s quite a bit of tax the HMRC will not be collecting.
  • Options
    Congrats @MaxPB
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Stocky said:

Boris has introduced a 1.25% hypothecated tax from 2023 to be shown on all pay slips for the NHS and social care

I would just pose the question that many people like the idea of a hypothecated tax, so surely it can only be arranged through NI or income tax

I am not an expert so I just put this up for debate by those who may know the answer

I understand that the reason they chose NI rather than income tax is to ensure consistency across the union. If true then another unintended consequence of devolution?
    Thanks
    I’m sure they could’ve gamed the devolution aspect and made a hypothecated tax on unearned as well earned income and dared Nicola to kick up a fuss over it.

But instead they chose to screw working people rather than do the right thing and have the confrontation with retirees and Scottish nationalists. Turns out Sunak is spineless. I begin to reach the point with him that I did with Starmer a year ago: “Next”.
    Wasn't that - rather that the Tories made the devolution finances too complex to try and screw the SNP, partly at Slab behest. See Fraser of Allander Institute report posted a moment or two ago by me.
  • Options
    Man, if you're someone who get depressed by the future being Chinese, don't watch University Challenge (I assume both Chan and Zeng are both at least of Chinese descent).
  • Options
    eek said:

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

The thing is they clearly don't understand the system they've created themselves.

The problem for years now is that the income tax rates have been fudged, so now nobody has a clue that doesn't pay attention that the income tax rate for someone on UC is 75% - and its going to be even higher once this recent tax rise goes up too. 🤦‍♂️

Why do we tax those less fortunate than ourselves 75%. Its disgusting and nobody campaigns against it.
    "According to Labour, the current system means that a single parent working 30 hours a week on the national living wage loses £573 a month of their universal credit entitlement – equivalent to a marginal tax rate of 75%. It contrasts this with the 47% marginal tax rate faced by people earning over £150,000 a year, such as the prime minister." In that Graun piece I posted just a moment ago.

Not sure how you deal with that. Not have a UC taper? Abolish UC? Increase the Tax allowance to cover it?
    Universal Basic Income (UBI) gets round the problem. There is no disincentive to work as don't lose any UBI.
    Yet house rents are so high that you would need to have a UBI of £20,000+ in London and other places - it just isn't possible
    UC already is over £20,000 for a couple in London and was designed to ensure claimants did not lose all their benefits as they entered work
  • Options

Charles said:

So just to confirm:

- no more taxes
    - Reduce the deficit

Economic growth.
    No longer wanted by Tory geriatrics.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited September 2021

Michael Gove made crude sexual comments, joked about paedophilia within top levels of government, and used a racist slur in a series of remarks in his twenties, The Independent can reveal.

The Cabinet Office minister also described Prince Charles as a “dull, wet, drippy adulterer” in speeches at the Cambridge Union while he was a student at Oxford, and after his graduation while working as a journalist.

In apparent attempts at humour, Mr Gove referred to people living in countries colonised by the British as “fuzzy-wuzzies”, accused the late former Tory minister Sir Leon Brittan of being a paedophile, and made a string of sexual jokes at the expense of Conservative minister Lucy Frazer.

The chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster, who has been tipped for the position of either foreign secretary or home secretary in a potential reshuffle, also described Margaret Thatcher’s policies as a “new empire” where “the happy south stamps over the cruel, dirty, toothless face of the northerner”, and said that gay people “thrive primarily upon short-term relations”.

Mr Gove made the comments – which were met at the time by cheers, stunned laughter, and shouts of “shame” – at three evening debates at the Cambridge Union in February 1993, December 1993 and during the winter of 1987, recordings of which came to light this week.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-gove-sexist-racist-speech-b1918058.html

Wow. Have these remarks just been unearthed, or was someone sitting on them, waiting for the right time to go public? If the latter then who?
    Who cares what someone said when they were a student in the late 80s/early 90s?

I presume Boris is behind this somewhere, though.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

Congrats!

As I announced a week or so ago, I’m moving myself - to New York.

That’s quite a bit of tax the HMRC will not be collecting.
    I'm still not sure I want to become a tax exile, but yes, between me and my wife the taxman will lose a pretty penny on our incomes.
  • Options

The Tories sure do when it's someone in an opposition party.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Thanks
    Wasn't a consequence of devolution per se. The original devolution settlement was much simpler: allow the SG only a single percentage point up or down on basic rate of income tax, IIRC.

It was a consequence, rather, of the Unionist fiddling on the Smith Commission after indyref1 to try and enmesh the Scottish Government aka SNP in a fiscal trap (for instance, deny the SG the power to vary tax oin dividends, to stop evasion of income tax by company directors and the self-employed). But when they enacted a new Scotland Act the Tories ended up screwing themselves as well.

"We are used to hearing that the devolution settlement is constraining the policy choices of the Scottish Government. The notion that the devolution settlement might potentially constrain the UK Government’s policy choices comes as something of a surprise."

https://fraserofallander.org/funding-a-rise-in-social-care-spending-england-implications-for-the-scottish-budget/

Except that's not really the issue, is it?

The issue is that Scottish funding doesn't match Scottish taxes, and nor does Scottish expenditure.

That Scotland gains more than it raises in tax due to the Barnett formula isn't due to the Smith Commission, it has been the practice for a long time. When Scotland was raising oil revenues that kind of cancelled out, but that's long since stopped being true.

So even under the old formula if the Tories had risen tax by 1p and the Scots had cut theirs by 1p, then thanks to Barnett the Scots would still be better off.

Its Barnett that's the issue, not Smith.
  • Options

R
    4,9 %
    +2,5

SV
    7,7 %
    +1,6

Ap
    25,5 %
    –1,8

Sp
    14,1 %
    +3,9

MDG
    4,1 %
    +0,9

KrF
    4,2 %

V
    3,7 %
    –0,7

H
    19,6 %
    –5,5

Frp
    12,0 %
    –3,2

Andre
    4,1 %
    +2,4

Despite her loss tonight should not be forgotten Solberg has been the longest serving centre-right PM in Norway since 1945.

Labour have been the main governing party in Norway for 48 of those 76 years
  • Options

Boris or the fragrant Mrs Gove. Wonder if she stumbled across some old cassettes while throwing out her husband's things.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Oh really? I don't think so.

Starmer said some things then but nobody cares.
  • Options

Boris or the fragrant Mrs Gove. Wonder if she stumbled across some old cassettes while throwing out her husband's things.
    I doubt Mrs Gove would be so vindictive.

No, this is blue-on-blue.

Perhaps getting the pre-emptive “excuse” in before Gove is unceremoniously defenestrated.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

The Tories' stony indifference to past statements by Corbyn was a sight to behold.
  • Options

Nothing very novel there. There’s a clip from a Grampian TV comedy show of Gove ripping into Prince Charles. Been on YouTube etc for yonks.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

The Tories' stony indifference to past statements by Corbyn was a sight to behold.
    I guess the difference there was that Corbyn was a raving lunatic then, and remains one now.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see Morning Consult has a poll out that shows an absolute majority of Americans back Biden's vaccine mandate plan.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Full MRP Result:

CON: 311 (-54), 37%
    LAB: 244, (+41), 33%
    SNP: 59* (+11), 5%
    LDM: 12 (+1), 12%
    PLC: 5 (+1), 1%
    GRN: 1 (=), 8%
    RFM: 0 (=), 4%

*That's EVERY Scottish seat for the SNP.
    Hung Parliament, CON 15 short.

Via @ElectCalculus & @FindoutnowUK, 6-8 Sep.
    Changes w/ GE2019. https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1437436633511604236/photo/1

Really silly to emphasise the SNP 59 line. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of Scottish politics knows there that simply isn't going to happen. I presume this is done on the basis of uniform swing, but we know that's just a convenient fiction.
    Oh, quite, but it gives HYUFD something new to get aerated about.
    He doesn't need an excuse.
    When exactly did he turn away from supporting Scottish independence?
    Before my time on PB.
    Not true. Last five years.
    He advocated the morphing of the Conservatives into “the English Nationalist Party” during the summer. Then… predictably… denied all screenshots.
    Plus there's this:
    https://twitter.com/HYUFD1/status/746847388418052096
    I was a Remainer and had a brief tantrum for a week after Leave won.

However compared to most Remainers that was pretty brief, I soon accepted the Brexit result and committed to making the best of it and returned to my normal pre EU Referendum Unionist self
    Do you support the conservative mps who are going to quite rightly vote with labour against the abolition of the £20 UC uplift
    If it was up to me I would be happy to see the abolition of the uplift so long as the real tax rate for poor working people should be slashed.

If the effective real tax rate was slashed to ~30% instead of 75% then absolutely remove the uplift and lets see people work more and keep more of their own money instead.
    But you know that is not going to happen from any political party
    I won't stop banging on about it and hopefully eventually it does get picked up by one party and dealt with.

Why should we have a real tax rate of 75%? How is that appropriate, fair or reasonable? How is it economic either as there'll be serious Laffer consequences from taxing at 75%.
    Can you tell me where the peak is on the applicable Laffer curve?
    I think HMRC did some work for Osborne and came out with 47-48%.

Feels instinctively about right - the government taking more than 50% in direct taxation feels wrong.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

The issue with Corbyn wasn't that he said dodgy stuff 30+ years ago but had changed.

The issue with Corbyn was that he'd consistently said dodgy stuff for over 30+ years and never changed.

He was still doing antisemitic activities and making antisemitic comments the year before he became leader after decades in the Commons. Not just as a student decades ago.
  • Options

Perhaps getting the pre-emptive “excuse” in before Gove is unceremoniously defenestrated.
    If the Clown dumps House Jock #1, who takes over the rôle as court jester?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Change the gradient of the taper
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

The problem with UBI is that it is so expensive, and the taxes you have to raise to pay for it create a disincentive to work even if the UBI itself doesn't.
    The second problem is that some people will choose not to work, figuring they can get by on UBI, and waste their life smoking dope and playing video games instead of doing something useful. Yes, work can be drudgery and exploitative, but it can also teach discipline and self-reliance.
    The third issue I have with it is more philosophical I suppose: why shouldn't people who are capable of working for a living go out and earn their own money instead of sponging off everyone else?
    Sorry for sounding like a Tory. But I think the government should be doing a lot more for children, the disabled, refugees, the environment etc not simply paying able bodied grown adults to sit on their arses all day!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Full MRP Result:

CON: 311 (-54), 37%
    LAB: 244, (+41), 33%
    SNP: 59* (+11), 5%
    LDM: 12 (+1), 12%
    PLC: 5 (+1), 1%
    GRN: 1 (=), 8%
    RFM: 0 (=), 4%

*That's EVERY Scottish seat for the SNP.
    Hung Parliament, CON 15 short.

Via @ElectCalculus & @FindoutnowUK, 6-8 Sep.
    Changes w/ GE2019. https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1437436633511604236/photo/1

Really silly to emphasise the SNP 59 line. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of Scottish politics knows there that simply isn't going to happen. I presume this is done on the basis of uniform swing, but we know that's just a convenient fiction.
    Oh, quite, but it gives HYUFD something new to get aerated about.
    He doesn't need an excuse.
    When exactly did he turn away from supporting Scottish independence?
    Before my time on PB.
    Not true. Last five years.
    He advocated the morphing of the Conservatives into “the English Nationalist Party” during the summer. Then… predictably… denied all screenshots.
    Plus there's this:
    https://twitter.com/HYUFD1/status/746847388418052096
    I was a Remainer and had a brief tantrum for a week after Leave won.

However compared to most Remainers that was pretty brief, I soon accepted the Brexit result and committed to making the best of it and returned to my normal pre EU Referendum Unionist self
    Do you support the conservative mps who are going to quite rightly vote with labour against the abolition of the £20 UC uplift
    If it was up to me I would be happy to see the abolition of the uplift so long as the real tax rate for poor working people should be slashed.

If the effective real tax rate was slashed to ~30% instead of 75% then absolutely remove the uplift and lets see people work more and keep more of their own money instead.
    But you know that is not going to happen from any political party
    I won't stop banging on about it and hopefully eventually it does get picked up by one party and dealt with.

Why should we have a real tax rate of 75%? How is that appropriate, fair or reasonable? How is it economic either as there'll be serious Laffer consequences from taxing at 75%.
    Can you tell me where the peak is on the applicable Laffer curve?
    I think HMRC did some work for Osborne and came out with 47-48%.

Feels instinctively about right - the government taking more than 50% in direct taxation feels wrong.
    And yet we have a 'Manhattan skyline' of tax rates with peaks at various points of 75%, and over 60% etc
  • Options

There’s room for only one Clown in Carrie’s Court.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    The 10pm exit poll (with roughly two thirds of the vote counted).

Labour 26.0%
    Conservatives 20.3%

The Christian People's party and Liberals both hovering on 4% but the Greens down at 3.6%. As parties move up and down through that 4% barrier, the redistribution of their seats to other parties changes the balance slightly.

The Labour-Centre-SV ticket still looking like a majority with 88 seats (projected).
  • Options
    Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Change the gradient of the taper
    Not saving a lot of money in that case.
  • Options
    Jubelen sto i taket da Ap fikk et av tidenes dårligste valgresultater. For nå blir Jonas Gahr Støre statsminister.

Labour cheered to the rafters as they achieve historically poor election results. Because Jonas Gahr Støre becomes prime minister.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

The issue with Corbyn wasn't that he said dodgy stuff 30+ years ago but had changed.

The issue with Corbyn was that he'd consistently said dodgy stuff for over 30+ years and never changed.

He was still doing antisemitic activities and making antisemitic comments the year before he became leader after decades in the Commons. Not just as a student decades ago.
    Oh, we're bringing 'but had changed' into it now. Missed that bit.
  • Options

Jubelen sto i taket da Ap fikk et av tidenes dårligste valgresultater. For nå blir Jonas Gahr Støre statsminister.

Labour cheered to the rafters as they achieve historically poor election results. Because Jonas Gahr Støre becomes prime minister.

Starmer/Lab parallel soon?
  • Options

There’s room for only one Clown in Carrie’s Court.
    Are we past the lagershed?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Thanks

The issue is that Scottish funding doesn't match Scottish taxes, and nor does Scottish expenditure.

That Scotland gains more than it raises in tax due to the Barnett formula isn't due to the Smith Commission, it has been the practice for a long time. When Scotland was raising oil revenues that kind of cancelled out, but that's long since stopped being true.

So even under the old formula if the Tories had risen tax by 1p and the Scots had cut theirs by 1p, then thanks to Barnett the Scots would still be better off.

That doenst make sense. Taxes went up and down centrally for decades without that being a problem.

Have a look at the FoA report.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

The problem with UBI is that it is so expensive, and the taxes you have to raise to pay for it create a disincentive to work even if the UBI itself doesn't.
    The second problem is that some people will choose not to work, figuring they can get by on UBI, and waste their life smoking dope and playing video games instead of doing something useful. Yes, work can be drudgery and exploitative, but it can also teach discipline and self-reliance.
    The third issue I have with it is more philosophical I suppose: why shouldn't people who are capable of working for a living go out and earn their own money instead of sponging off everyone else?
    Sorry for sounding like a Tory. But I think the government should be doing a lot more for children, the disabled, refugees, the environment etc not simply paying able bodied grown adults to sit on their arses all day!
    The first problem: Yes taxes create a disincentive but unless you're talking about 75% we're looking at a lower disincentive than what exists today.

The second and third problem: People can already do that on our existing welfare system and once doing that the barriers/disincentives for getting into work are much steeper than what would exist under the proposed system.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    edited September 2021

Does foreknowledge of the Gove story explain the comings and goings with the chief whip at Downing Street yesterday?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Oh, we're bringing 'but had changed' into it now. Missed that bit.
    No shit Sherlock of course we are.

The issue isn't what anyone says as a student in the 80s/90s. The issue is that Corbyn remained just as vile, just as antisemitic, just as anti-western and just as much a friend of terrorists and dictators in recent years as he was 30-40 years ago.

Most people go through a stage as a student. Corbyn though never grew up.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

The first problem: Yes taxes create a disincentive but unless you're talking about 75% we're looking at a lower disincentive than what exists today.

The second and third problem: People can already do that on our existing welfare system and once doing that the barriers/disincentives for getting into work are much steeper than what would exist under the proposed system.
    Under our existing welfare system you have to be actively seeking work and provide evidence of that to continue to claim.

A UBI by definition would have no such requirement as everyone would get it automatically
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited September 2021
    Another perfect night for Brillo.

Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    31m
    A beautiful night tonight. Made perfect by three dogs at my feet, a generous Jameson’s and a Montecristo.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    On humour:-

- Laurel and Hardy: still very funny indeed.
    - Some Like it Hot and Dr Strangelove - sublime
    - Surprised no-one mentioned Frasier which is one of the best TV comedies ever: a wonderful mix of character, farce, wit and physical comedy. David Hyde-Pierce is a brilliant comic actor.
    - Stand ups: Victoria Wood - taken far too early. She had so much to give still. Dylan Moran. Eddie Izzard - when he was a comedian (and not the pompous bore he's now become). But the master of them all is still Dave Allen.
    - Yes Minister is still very funny. Blackadder too.
    - David Sedaris has written and delivered some very funny pieces.

But the best comedy to my mind combines observation, unexpected connections and some underlying truth. Too much of it nowadays is so predictable and therefore unfunny.
  • Options
    Norway:

Red 100
    Blue 68

72.3% counted

Workers Party heading for victory
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Good luck
  • Options

Does foreknowledge of the Gove story explain the comings and goings with the chief whip at Downing Street yesterday?
    No.
    It’s hardly a story.

The worst thing seems to have been use of the word “fuzzy-wuzzies” which is to be found in every episode of Dad’s Army ever.

Plus, Boris was “jesting” about picaninnies only a few years ago.
  • Options
    Congrats Max. Great move.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Thanks

That doenst make sense. Taxes went up and down centrally for decades without that being a problem.

It does make sense and I've looked at the report.

In prior decades nobody cared that tax receipts didn't match up with expenditure and even post-devolution if the same party controlled Westminer and Holyrood I doubt anyone would care either.

The issue is that having a hyperpartisan, hypernationalist devolved government the two sides have no incentive to co-operate with each other. And while in the past more money flowing as a Barnett consequential would just be natural, now its a problem.
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

It’s not ignorant. The minimum wage is £8.91 so 2 hours work is just under £18 (close enough).

Of course the reality on the ground is something different - hence out of touch is a fair complaint - but it is accurate
    It is ignorance - the idea that anyone of universal credit can receive money untaxed can only come from someone who has done zero research.

The only way it would occur is if the money was cash in hand and thag opens different issues for a Government minister
    It’s misleading, like all politicians - in the way that a “£100m X from the defence budget would pay for Y nurses instead” is.

But accurate in its own terms
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

- Surprised no-one mentioned Frasier which is one of the best TV comedies ever: a wonderful mix of character, farce, wit and physical comedy. David Hyde-Pierce is a brilliant comic actor.
    - Stand ups: Victoria Wood - taken far too early. She had so much to give still. Dylan Moran. Eddie Izzard - when he was a comedian (and not the pompous bore he's now become). But the master of them all is still Dave Allen.

But the best comedy to my mind combines observation, unexpected connections and some underlying truth. Too much of it nowadays is so predictable and therefore unfunny.

Frasier is probably my favourite tv comedy I reckon
  • Options

Charles said:

It’s not ignorant. The minimum wage is £8.91 so 2 hours work is just under £18 (close enough).

Of course the reality on the ground is something different - hence out of touch is a fair complaint - but it is accurate
    It is ignorant since the person working doesn't get £18 due to taper, NI and PAYE income tax. Do you think simply saying "you got £18 extra [but you'll only see £4.50 in your pay packet]" is an adequate response?

Reality on the ground isn't something different, its the system the politicians have created. So the claim was not accurate, earning £18 extra of which you get to keep only £4.50 does not replace £20 lost. It wasn't just inaccurate, it was completely wrong and shows the person speaking doesn't understand the system she is talking about.
    It’s misleading, sure, but you said “ignorant” which is something different. I’m sure she knew exactly what she was doing
  • Options
    Noticeable how the Norwegian conservatives still holding Oslo, even in a poor year. Contrast with London.

The map of Norway is entirely red, apart from some blue and green bits in the far south west + Oslo.
  • Options

Charles said:

So just to confirm:

- no more taxes
    - Reduce the deficit

I just want fairness and it is unfair to remove the uplift at this time

CGT or IHT or both should rise
    No idea how I responded to you - was aimed at a Philip Thompson post!
  • Options
    Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

It is ignorance - the idea that anyone of universal credit can receive money untaxed can only come from someone who has done zero research.

The only way it would occur is if the money was cash in hand and thag opens different issues for a Government minister
    It’s misleading, like all politicians - in the way that a “£100m X from the defence budget would pay for Y nurses instead” is.

But accurate in its own terms
    Its not accurate in its own terms.

The claim was that £20 lost from their bank accounts from UC could be replaced by 2 hours work. It can't. It is entirely false in its own terms.
  • Options
    Someone's leaking decades old speeches made by Gove to damage him shortly before a cabinet reshuffle?

Surely not.
  • Options

Charles said:

So just to confirm:

- no more taxes
    - Reduce the deficit

Economic growth.
    No longer wanted by Tory geriatrics.
    The brain drain is starting.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Thanks

In prior decades nobody cared that tax receipts didn't match up with expenditure and even post-devolution if the same party controlled Westminer and Holyrood I doubt anyone would care either.

The issue is that having a hyperpartisan, hypernationalist devolved government the two sides have no incentive to co-operate with each other. And while in the past more money flowing as a Barnett consequential would just be natural, now its a problem.
    But we had such a government in Scotland, and a hypernationalist one in London, for years before the tax changes in the post-indyref Scotland Act.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Curb your Enthusiasm or any Alan Partridge for me.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Do people recall as if it were yesterday how I went anti-herd (post Hartlepool) and got long of 'Starmer Next PM' @ 8?

No? Ok, didn't think so, doesn't matter, Point is, here is a market which HAS moved quite a lot recently. He now has a 4 handle and is clear fav over the midget gem.

I do.

I followed your lead at high 7s. Thank you :smile: Last I saw though he was still around 5? (smarkets).
    Yes, that "4 handle" is 4.8. Bit of spin there from me. 🙂
    Ah... You did promise that I (well, you) would be able to lay it off at 4 or under* within a year, which I'll be holding you to, obviously :wink:

*I'm hoping that your four or under is not like HYUFD's no more than 1%, which it turned out easily encompassed 1.5 at least and maybe up to 1.9999 or beyond
  • Options

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Tax should always be <50% income right across the whole income scale.

I don't know what that would cost to fix but if I were PM I'd make it a priority. Far more so than gilded pensions.
  • Options

No.
    It’s hardly a story.

The worst thing seems to have been use of the word “fuzzy-wuzzies” which is to be found in every episode of Dad’s Army ever.

Plus, Boris was “jesting” about picaninnies only a few years ago.
    Attacking the future Sovereign is not a good look for a loyal Tory party member thinking about the vote to replace Mr Johnson (or even to vote for Mr Gove at the next election).
  • Options

Barnesian said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Why don't you just f...

(Put you down as a maybe..?)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

We share the same tastes. Ticks on every one you list.

Victoria Wood on I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue was a work of wonder.

I only discovered Sedaris last year. Totally in awe.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943
    Tuesday’s Financial Times: Johnson’s £15bn ‘stupid tunnel’ killed off in Treasury crackdown #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1437511468900028417/photo/1
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Thanks

But we had such a government in Scotland, and a hypernationalist one in London, for years before the tax changes in the post-indyref Scotland Act.
    Not changing tax rates though. So the Barnett consequential issue, which nobody would have cared about last time tax rates were being significantly changed, is an issue now.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

The first half of each Frasier episode was good but the second-half descent into slapstick usually meant turning off.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Some of the ‘farce’ episodes must be up there with the best farce ever written. The log cabin episode, for instance.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Noticeable how the Norwegian conservatives still holding Oslo, even in a poor year. Contrast with London.

The map of Norway is entirely red, apart from some blue and green bits in the far south west + Oslo.

Oslo is the 5th most expensive city in the world, it has a lot of rich residents and more in common with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster which are still Conservative than Labour Newham or Lewisham or Hackney or Croydon

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/tel-aviv-copenhagen-seoul-geneva-oslo-hong-kong-zurich-paris-singapore-a8257661.html
  • Options

Yeah it's something that I'm really glad we managed to pull off. Every fibre of my being wants to stay in the UK but ultimately I know this is the right move for both of us and our eventual family. My parents are about to finalise buying a villa in Crete so they're not going to be in the UK for 5-7 months of the year and we can go and visit them quite easily in Crete. I think my biggest regret is leaving behind my sister and her family, we're really very close and we see each other almost every other weekend because she lives in North London not particularly far away from us. I hope that in a world of WhatsApp and zoom it won't be as bad.
  • Options
    Congratulations to @MaxPB on his move.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

It is ignorant since the person working doesn't get £18 due to taper, NI and PAYE income tax. Do you think simply saying "you got £18 extra [but you'll only see £4.50 in your pay packet]" is an adequate response?

Reality on the ground isn't something different, its the system the politicians have created. So the claim was not accurate, earning £18 extra of which you get to keep only £4.50 does not replace £20 lost. It wasn't just inaccurate, it was completely wrong and shows the person speaking doesn't understand the system she is talking about.
    It’s misleading, sure, but you said “ignorant” which is something different. I’m sure she knew exactly what she was doing
    Not stupid, just dishonest.
    Phew!
  • Options
    It is "not in the hands" of ministers to guarantee there will be enough lorries on the roads to deliver presents on time this Christmas, the transport secretary has told MPs
    https://trib.al/EA4BULa
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Tuesday’s Financial Times: Johnson’s £15bn ‘stupid tunnel’ killed off in Treasury crackdown #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1437511468900028417/photo/1

It's a depressing point to make but one that needs to be made nonetheless: a lot of this extra "investment" in public services will simply be soaked up by higher wages and prices.

We won't see any difference in output, and that's if we're lucky. We might very well tax ourselves into stagnation and see public services go backwards as well.
  • Options

It's a depressing point to make but one that needs to be made nonetheless: a lot of this extra "investment" in public services will simply be soaked up by higher wages and prices.

We won't see any difference in output, and that's if we're lucky. We might very well tax ourselves into stagnation and see public services go backwards as well.

Ah, the Brexit dividend...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss (reportedly) had the right answer. If the issue is a temporary backlog due to the lockdown etc then have temporary borrowing to cover the temporary costs. Keep the permanent tax rates to match the permanent expenditure.

That way the Treasury and the NHS know they need to get value for money and clear the backlog as the borrowing can't go on forever.

Instead we've seen a permanent tax rise, which will go to permanent pay rises, and then where do we stand?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Oslo is the 5th most expensive city in the world, it has a lot of rich residents and more in common with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster than Newham or Lewisham or Hackney or Croydon

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/tel-aviv-copenhagen-seoul-geneva-oslo-hong-kong-zurich-paris-singapore-a8257661.html
    Not all wealthy places vote conservative. Eg. Edinburgh.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

HYUFD said:

Oslo is the 5th most expensive city in the world, it has a lot of rich residents and more in common with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster than Newham or Lewisham or Hackney or Croydon

Edinburgh voted for Ruth Davidson, Edinburgh is more Conservative than Scotland as a whole (at least it was before Brexit).

Edinburgh is also still not as wealthy as Oslo
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Union dividend, Brexit dividend, bollocks.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Oh fuck me, you're boring.

I will make a rule now: I will never ever respond to another of your posts again.

🤦🏼‍♂️
  • Options
    In the week Liverpool play AC Milan, it's nice to see Rafa Benitez teams are still scoring three goals in six minute bursts.
  • Options

Someone's leaking decades old speeches made by Gove to damage him shortly before a cabinet reshuffle?

Surely not.

There was a time
    When all on my mind was Gove
    Now I find
    That most of the time
    Gove's not enough
    In itself
  • Options
    edited September 2021

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Some of the ‘farce’ episodes must be up there with the best farce ever written. The log cabin episode, for instance.
    Ski Lodge? Possibly my favourite, along with "The Doctor Is Out" & "The Perfect Guy"

"The Show Must Go Off" and "A Cranes Critique" are great too
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Not stupid, just dishonest.
    Phew!
    Here is reality. Coffey knows that what she is saying is simply wrong. 2 hours work does not equal £18 on UC. Charles knows this as well.

The calculation is simple. Punters have had "benefits" weaponised. They don't know how UC works, don't know about the taper, but know that the minimum wage is close to a tenner.

So although Coffey is utterly misleading people, she knows the people targeted are already ill-informed, mislead and likely to accept what she says because they have been suitably conditioned so.
  • Options

Not all Edinburgh is wealthy

The constituency that Alistair Darling represented had been redrawn from the days Malcolm Rifkind was an MP on that basis
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss (reportedly) had the right answer. If the issue is a temporary backlog due to the lockdown etc then have temporary borrowing to cover the temporary costs. Keep the permanent tax rates to match the permanent expenditure.

That way the Treasury and the NHS know they need to get value for money and clear the backlog as the borrowing can't go on forever.

Instead we've seen a permanent tax rise, which will go to permanent pay rises, and then where do we stand?
    If you look at NHS (80% spend on oldies) and Pensions (100% spend on oldies) then that's over 50% of all Government spending now and what's sucking all the oxygen out the room.

We really must start trimming entitlements there or we're going to break the bucket.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ski Lodge? Possibly my favourite, along with "The Doctor Is Out" & "The Perfect Guy"
    The radio play episode is great, also the one where he needs to come up with a jingle for his show.
  • Options

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I have a friend who hated 'Cheers' with an absolute passion but loved 'Frasier' and didn't even know the two were linked.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edinburgh voted for Ruth Davidson, Edinburgh is more Conservative than Scotland as a whole.

Zero Con MPs or MSPs from Edinburgh constituencies.

Not all wealthy places vote conservative. Eg East Dunbartonshire.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

The radio play episode is great, also the one where he needs to come up with a jingle for his show.
    Yes there are plenty of classic episodes, and its on tv every day, twice!

Well done on the new job
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edinburgh voted for Ruth Davidson, Edinburgh is more Conservative than Scotland as a whole.

Zero Con MPs or MSPs from Edinburgh constituencies.

Not all wealthy places vote conservative. Eg East Dunbartonshire.
    In 2015 (pre Brexit) the Conservatives got a higher voteshare in Edinburgh than they did across Scotland as a whole and as I said Edinburgh is still nowhere near as wealthy as Oslo is
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Edinburgh voted for Ruth Davidson, Edinburgh is more Conservative than Scotland as a whole (at least it was before Brexit).

How many Conservative mps and msps does Edinburgh have?
  • Options
    On Frasier, I remember in one of the very first episodes a wonderful exchange between the brothers.

Frasier says to Niles in an exasperated tone: "Do you have any thoughts you don't express?"

And Niles just looks up and with perfect timing says: "I'm having an unexpressed thought right now."

Brilliant stuff! And this is wonderful physical comedy - apparently filmed in one take - https://youtu.be/EpImet3Xwgw

The other stand up comedian I love is Billy Connolly - https://youtu.be/t7nsAMwl1T4.

Dame Edna had her moments too - https://youtu.be/nROe4L0hwiE.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yeah it's something that I'm really glad we managed to pull off. Every fibre of my being wants to stay in the UK but ultimately I know this is the right move for both of us and our eventual family. My parents are about to finalise buying a villa in Crete so they're not going to be in the UK for 5-7 months of the year and we can go and visit them quite easily in Crete. I think my biggest regret is leaving behind my sister and her family, we're really very close and we see each other almost every other weekend because she lives in North London not particularly far away from us. I hope that in a world of WhatsApp and zoom it won't be as bad.
    Our son emigrating to New Zealand in 2003 was emotional and we did visit 4 times and twice to Canada since his move there in 2015 but it is hard at times
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Oslo is the 5th most expensive city in the world, it has a lot of rich residents and more in common with Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster which are still Conservative than Labour Newham or Lewisham or Hackney or Croydon

We realised that on our honeymoon there in 1964
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Not all Edinburgh is wealthy

The constituency that Alistair Darling represented had been redrawn from the days Malcolm Rifkind was an MP on that basis
    Not all Oslo is wealthy.

Oh yeah, the Tories were kicked out of Scotland due to redrawn boundaries. Very counterfactual.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If you look at NHS (80% spend on oldies) and Pensions (100% spend on oldies) then that's over 50% of all Government spending now and what's sucking all the oxygen out the room.

We really must start trimming entitlements there or we're going to break the bucket.
    As I've said on a few occasions, we as a nation need to have a very open and honest discussion about what exactly the purpose of the NHS is. Is it there to prevent everyone from dying, essentially acting as the conqueror of death and extending life expectancy indefinitely, or is it there to act as a safety net for when people fall ill and need to be patched up. My issue is that the NHS was founded to do the latter but has morphed into something that does the former. With limited resources the NHS has delved into making life expectancy gain a key measure of outcomes.

If we want the NHS to act as the vanquisher of death and keep everyone alive for as long as possible then eventually we really will turn into a healthcare service with a country attached to pay for it. No one in government wants to face up to the reality that the NHS needs to do less and provide less healthcare but do it better.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It does seem the only way to balance the books without making any compromises would be to have some sort of exotic virus sweeping society that targets oldies.
This discussion has been closed.