Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let us talk about the man who wanted to castrate Michael Gove – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816
    kinabalu said:

Andra Neil frothing about Scotland's 'absurd voting system' that has propelled the 'ECO-ZEALOT MARXISTS' to power.

He's complaining that the Greens have a cabal of 7 seats?
    None of his business anyway. He decided to leave. Never forgiven him for wrecking the Scotsman, once a fine newspaper (though his was not the only guilty hand).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Some dispute whether this is accurate:

The results are in: Should the Scottish Green Party support the political cooperation agreement? Yes 89.2 % No 9.8% ...

https://twitter.com/bellacaledonia/status/1431575707340222465?s=20

My wife was watchibg the sessions and that's approx what she saidbthebvote was.

At least its not worse than yesterday:

The total confirmed as positive has risen by 5,858 to 413,515

https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1431606254082867209?s=20

SNP fail to keep growth on track.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    kinabalu said:

Andra Neil frothing about Scotland's 'absurd voting system' that has propelled the 'ECO-ZEALOT MARXISTS' to power.

Kind of.
    Deep down he's howling into the void about Union/non indy supporters being shit at/uninterested in tactical voting/gaming the system.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Monkey stew" contributed by the wife of the MP for Romford.

https://flashbak.com/the-true-blue-cookery-book-1977-424630/

Not to mention Lettuce Au Harold Wilson, from Norman StJ Stevas. Still trying to work that one out.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kinabalu said:

Actually... as we're approaching the end of the airlift, losing an aircraft for a couple of weeks might not matter. Losing it last week, in the middle of the airlift, might have mattered much more.

Quite why it takes weeks to (presumably) clean an aircraft is another matter.
    Good exchange between you and cyclefree at the fag end of PT. Quite rare that those partaking in the debate have in their own life an intimate acquaintance with anyone who is transgender. Often seems a case of 'never have so few been argued about by so many'.
    Surprises me that so few know any transgender people. I have known 4 (all male to female).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,709
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Not to mention Lettuce Au Harold Wilson, from Norman StJ Stevas. Still trying to work that one out.
    Isn’t there also Maggie’s aspic ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    kinabalu said:

Actually... as we're approaching the end of the airlift, losing an aircraft for a couple of weeks might not matter. Losing it last week, in the middle of the airlift, might have mattered much more.

Good exchange between you and cyclefree at the fag end of PT. Quite rare that those partaking in the debate have in their own life an intimate acquaintance with anyone who is transgender. Often seems a case of 'never have so few been argued about by so many'.
    Thanks. Hopefully we kept it respectful.

We had three trans people at one company: two male-to-female (*), and one female-to-male. The latter became a long-term friend of ours. At school, my best friend wanted to become a woman, something he achieved twenty or so years later. I saw him get bullied a fair bit (although to be fair he often did not help his own cause).

I'd never claim to be an expert on the issue, or even that I understand it fully. It's just that I've seen a lot of nasty comments and deeds thrown at people who may be slightly 'odd', but were good.

(*) One of the male-to-females is quite famous in the industry, as she designed the ARM chip architecture.
  • Options
    Mercedes have screwed over Hamilton.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Not in this one AFAICS, at least in the extracts - there is a fish pie recipe which looks a perfectly respectable* basic one but without any potato topping, and working out at (or nearly) half a pound of fish and one egg per person.

*There is one [edit: not by Mrs T] on making mock cream from butter, milk and gelatine - presumably for emergencies, but ...
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m
    Parents will have to give consent. Unless they don't give consent, in which case their kids will be jabbed without their consent. That's a funny definition of "consent". Anyone who vaccinates my child without my consent will need a very good lawyer. That's a criminal assault.

Not the brightest of the BDS commentariat.
    Children are more likely to be struck by lightning that die of covid, and some studies show that immunity by infection is much more durable than immunity by vaccine .It would be more beneficial for children themselves to get covid naturally than by vaccine which is not 100% safe.

So your enthusiasm for vaccinating children from covid is to protect you, isn't it? not them. And the truth is you are prepared to accept whatever (albeit rare) collateral damage is done to those kids, to make your life, as you see it, a little 'safer'.

You are also prepared to accept as collateral damage to protect your 'safety' whatever mental suffering children have to undergo in this vaccination programme. The bullying, the nudging, the stigma if parents object, the name calling from your peers. That idea that as a child you are some kind of leper, some kind of walking time bomb

Just to be clear.
    Utter drivel. I am still just the right side of 50 and double vaccinated so lowish covid risk, it is not about me at all.

I was merely pointing out that her declaring something criminal assault, when it is no such thing, is a bit silly. Any medical professional or lawyer will understand the law better than she appears to, and will not require a very good lawyer, more some ear plugs to stop listening to her whinges.

Randomly making up laws and pretending to be authoritative when talking bollocks seems to be a thing with a certain part of those suffering from the leave edition of BDS. See the Magna Carta stuff as well.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

We had three trans people at one company: two male-to-female (*), and one female-to-male. The latter became a long-term friend of ours. At school, my best friend wanted to become a woman, something he achieved twenty or so years later. I saw him get bullied a fair bit (although to be fair he often did not help his own cause).

I'd never claim to be an expert on the issue, or even that I understand it fully. It's just that I've seen a lot of nasty comments and deeds thrown at people who may be slightly 'odd', but were good.

(*) One of the male-to-females is quite famous in the industry, as she designed the ARM chip architecture.
    One of the male to females I know is also famous in her industry, and very widely liked.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    edited August 2021
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

None of his business anyway. He decided to leave. Never forgiven him for wrecking the Scotsman, once a fine newspaper (though his was not the only guilty hand).
    He is quite the creature of the right. He must have been combusting inside whilst having to maintain an impartial front during his BBC years. Maybe it explains the complexion.

Paul Mason was similar but the other way. All those years as Newsnight economics editor, sitting there being all "on the one hand, on the other hand" with Kirsty when underneath there lay a feisty, bomber jacketed soixante neufer.
  • Options
    Definitely going to lay Lewis Hamilton in tomorrow's race tomorrow.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2021
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Surprises me that so few know any transgender people. I have known 4 (all male to female).
    I've known one/two depending upon how it gets counted. Oddly enough at two extremes.

One was male to female and the absolute worst of any stereotypes. Not their fault, I'd known them for a long time they had meningitis as a baby and it had left them with severe mental defects. I hadn't seen them for a few years, then saw them one last time on the street and addressed them by the name I knew them by and was told curtly "that's not my name" but I had no idea as had fallen out of touch until then. There's absolutely no chance they'd have IMHO passed any medical conditions for changing gender I suspect and was very badly dressing as a lady last time I saw them. Writing that with the pronoun them felt weird, I still think of them as a him but don't want to be disrespectful.

The other was someone I hired. Female to male he was the best of any stereotypes. Very professionally dressed (with the brightest green hair I'd ever seen), very smart, very hard worker, very courteous and I couldn't sing his praises higher. He was planning on transitioning but was pre any of them but nobody who knew him had any issues calling him a him.

It's odd had someone only met one of either of these two it could really help shape opinions to one extreme or the other. But the reality is people are diverse and not a letter.
  • Options

Can't you wait until the race is over? It might impede his performance ...
  • Options
    TimT said:

Can't you wait until the race is over? It might impede his performance ...
    Such filth.
  • Options
    YoungTurkYoungTurk Posts: 158

YoungTurk said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

YoungTurk said:

Off-topic: what is it supposed to mean when the government say that everyone aged 18+ has been offered vaccination?

What do they mean by "everyone" and "offered"?
    Does "everyone" mean all residents, everyone who has an NHS number, everyone who is registered with a GP, or something else?
    Does "offered" mean contacted personally, addressed impersonally in a publicity campaign, or one of these if a person is in one part of the population and the other if they're not?

I'm trying to get a handle on the demographics of the unvaccinated. Many (anecdotally) seem prone to believe that groups on which they're not especially keen are over-represented among the unvaccinated. Sometimes such beliefs may be accurate, but sometimes they derive in large part from prejudice.

How does being unvaccinated vary with level of formal education?

I plugged a few areas into the BBC website and came up with the following figures for the double-vaccinated: Western Isles 90%, South Norfolk 83%, North Norfolk 83%, Cardiff 81%, Highland 81%, Basingstoke 80%, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly 79%, County Durham 77%, Thanet 77%, Belfast 77%, Derry City and Strabane 77%, Tunbridge Wells 76%, Windsor and Maidenhead 76%, Edinburgh 72%, Glasgow 72%, Leeds 66%, Reading 61%, Southampton 61%, Cambridge 54%, Lambeth 54%, Oxford 53%, Hackney and the City of London 52%, Kensington and Chelsea 50%.

At Cambridge, you are required to be registered with a local GP. Cambridge GPs therefore live high on the hog, as students aren't there half the year. And don't forget, the academic year finished there three months ago.

Their low percentage is therefore a consequence of students not being in Cambridge and probably getting jabbed at mummy's place.
    Can that explain the size of the difference? Cambridge is at 54% double-vaccinated, against a national figure of 78%.

I'm not even sure that Anglia Ruskin which has more undergraduates than Cambridge University, albeit not all studying on the Cambridge campus, has a local GP registration rule.

Target indicator economics suggests that

1. officials in areas where vaccinations take place will rush to add them to the tally, but

2. officials in Cambridge - where presumably GPs' offices are informed when patients get vaccinated elsewhere - won't hesitate much in removing elsewhere-jabbed patients from their denominators.

That said, 2. would be counteracted by the expectation of funds, not necessarily directly SARSCoV2-themed, for the size of those denominators.

Canterbury is probably more studenty than Cambridge and is at 71%.
    Then there's Kensington and Chelsea at 50%.

Some are blaming the unvaccinated for a lot, so it would be interesting to know more about who they are.
    K&C especially, and Cambridge as well, must be very high on the list of areas where some residents own multiple homes, not just students living in a mix of places. You are right to ask for more context, I don't think the numbers are particularly reliable.
    Can one of the contributors here who works in the health system maybe tell us how the government arrives at the denominator it uses in its figure for "percentage double-vaccinated"? I'm guessing that the sum of the local denominators equals the national denominator and that the same is true for the numerators.
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Really? Perhaps I'm wrong but it does seem that way to me. I guess more on the "pro" side will know trans people. I don't though. I've had to seek out stuff on youtube etc to hear them speak.
  • Options

As someone who cannot get a season ticket for LFC I have to go corporate hospitality most of the time.

It is a bloody expensive business.

Not as expensive as my avatar.....
  • Options

As someone who cannot get a season ticket for LFC I have to go corporate hospitality most of the time.

It is a bloody expensive business.

Not as expensive as my avatar.....
    *Shakes head*

900 million.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

He is quite the creature of the right. He must have been combusting inside whilst having to maintain an impartial front during his BBC years. Maybe it explains the complexion.

Paul Mason was similar but the other way. All those years as Newsnight economics editor, sitting there being all "on the one hand, on the other hand" with Kirsty when underneath there lay a feisty, bomber jacketed soixante neufer.
    [deleted - can't pin timings down]
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Kind of.
    Deep down he's howling into the void about Union/non indy supporters being shit at/uninterested in tactical voting/gaming the system.
    Ah, that. Well it's all just a proxy scuffle cf the Big One. There'll be no tactical voting there. It's a total "Better decide which side you're on."
  • Options
    And race control have screwed over Lando Norris.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

He is widely regarded as changing the Scotsman from pro-devolution to anti-devolution: not a great idea, after the highly conclusive devolution vote in 1997. He is seen as thereby having contributed to its decline. But he claims otherwise on Twitter - that it was always pro devolution. I stopped reading it quite early in his editor inchiefship, so I can't judge the rights of the matter (and it was a long time ago).
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,158
    From the department of “no shit Sherlock”

@thedailybeast
    Meghan Markle's stalled 40X40 mentoring initiative exposes the enormous difficulties she and Harry face in trying to move their brand beyond the telling of royal secrets and into the realm of positive global inspiration
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,778
    EXCLUSIVE: Turkey and Taliban close to deal on Kabul airport

The terms needed approval by Erdogan

• Recognition of Taliban
    • Qatar, Turkey to run the airport
    • Turkish private security firm
    • Special forces to protect Turks

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1431590512302202881?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Is that a Freudian slip? I’ve heard of soixante-huitards in a political context but soixante-neufers means something a little different where I’m from.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Kind of.
    Ah, that. Well it's all just a proxy scuffle cf the Big One. There'll be no tactical voting there. It's a total "Better decide which side you're on."
    Interesting comments on some stats Mr Neil reportedly liked [edit] to use to prove Glasgow has third world life expectancy:

"Neil continually quotes an out of date figure for Calton [in Glasgow] from nearly twenty years ago* of 54 years for male life expectancy; a more recent figure for Calton and Bridgeton in 2012 showed 67.8 years life expectancy for men and 76.6 for women, and since then the area has been further transformed by investment. Yet, this has been made into an almost religious mantra by those on the right to try to prove that devolution and the SNP are not working for Scotland."

https://www.gerryhassan.com/blog/the-battle-for-scotland-and-the-language-of-apocalypse-from-andrew-neil-and-the-right/

* So about 2002-ish, only a few years into devolution. Quite the argument for the Union he was deploying, no?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Is that a Freudian slip? I’ve heard of soixante-huitards in a political context but soixante-neufers means something a little different where I’m from.
    I'm glad you asked - I was wondering what happened in '69 that was so important to our friends on the Trot side of life.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

I'm glad you asked - I was wondering what happened in '69 that was so important to our friends on the Trot side of life.
    Perhaps the number has special significance to Paul Mason.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

kinabalu said:

One of my mates has a brother (who I've never met) who is transitioning to female in their 60s. It's causing ructions apparently.

Often people who seem miles apart on the issue aren't really. Eg, so called antis will think the process should be kinder and quicker and so called pros will agree that protections are needed in elite female sport and places of refuge from male sexual violence.

There are, though, some VERY unpleasant people on what I'd have no hesitation in calling the "transphobic" side of the argument. They are mainly men and they have quite primitive attitudes generally, this issue being a catalyst to pour it all out.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Not in this one AFAICS, at least in the extracts - there is a fish pie recipe which looks a perfectly respectable* basic one but without any potato topping, and working out at (or nearly) half a pound of fish and one egg per person.

*There is one [edit: not by Mrs T] on making mock cream from butter, milk and gelatine - presumably for emergencies, but ...
    I think these things are often done by offering the celeb a choice of 3 recipes, so they may not offer the insight into political souls that a genuine from-the-ground-up recipe would.
  • Options
    Torn between*

1) Pen Farthing is an irrelevant sideshow and the difficulties getting people out were essentially unrelated to him; the scale of the backlash is because he is visible

2) Seriously fuck that guy and the cult around him

*both can be true

https://twitter.com/cjayanetti/status/1431621429959741452?s=20
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Paul is very much both, is my sense of it. Oh yes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

I think these things are often done by offering the celeb a choice of 3 recipes, so they may not offer the insight into political souls that a genuine from-the-ground-up recipe would.
    Interesting. I was actually thinking not so much about Mrs T but wondering if it was a 1970s thing, or simply a routine margin for unexpected guests/aides/reheating for the next day's lunch.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Paul and Kirsty? That’s an image I didn’t really want TBH…
  • Options

Torn between*

1) Pen Farthing is an irrelevant sideshow and the difficulties getting people out were essentially unrelated to him; the scale of the backlash is because he is visible

*both can be true

I think I'm both but unless his actions have led to fewer people getting out I'm not feeling passionate about it.

It's a little bit - although not completely - like slagging off someone for leaving all their money to Battersea Dogs Home when they had a family.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Torn between*

*both can be true

I think I'm both but unless his actions have led to fewer people getting out I'm not feeling passionate about it.

It's a little bit - although not completely - like slagging off someone for leaving all their money to Battersea Dogs Home when they had a family.
    Not allowed in Scotland, btw. The family ALWAYS gets a share (obvs if they want it), whether or not they are left something.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Torn between*

*both can be true

Not allowed in Scotland, btw. The family ALWAYS gets a share (obvs if they want it), whether or not they are left something.
    The Inheritance Act 1975 is supposed to have the same effect in England and Wales - providing sufficient for dependents left out of wills.
  • Options
    "I saw this and thought of you."

https://gizmodo.com/online-trolls-actually-just-assholes-all-the-time-stud-1847575210

Some of you, anyway ; )

--AS
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Would never impugn Kirsty.

No, I sense vanity in Paul, is what I mean. A glance in the mirror, make sure his collar and stubble is just so, before he throws that brick on the Champs Elysees and basks in the ooos and ahhs of the Deneuve or Bardot lookalike feminista who's looking on and who he'll be squiring before too long if he gets his way, which he has every intention of doing.

Just an impression. Could be grossly unfair.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Torn between*

*both can be true

The Inheritance Act 1975 is supposed to have the same effect in England and Wales - providing sufficient for dependents left out of wills.
    But that's just enough to get by on. The Scottish version aiui is one third spouse, one third kiddies, one third do what you want with.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030
    kinabalu said:

Comprising of 7 donkeys as well. Not one of them could get a real job.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Torn between*

*both can be true

But that's just enough to get by on. The Scottish version aiui is one third spouse, one third kiddies, one third do what you want with.
    Ah - didn’t know that.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Would never impugn Kirsty.

No, I sense vanity in Paul, is what I mean. A glance in the mirror, make sure his collar and stubble is just so, before he throws that brick on the Champs Elysees and basks in the ooos and ahhs of the Deneuve or Bardot lookalike feminista who's looking on and who he'll be squiring before too long if he gets his way, which he has every intention of doing.

Just an impression. Could be grossly unfair.
    I do see your point
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Never known one in all my years , hence I cannot understand the constant wittering about it. People seem to have feck all lives nowadays and have to rage about anything and everything.
  • Options
    YoungTurkYoungTurk Posts: 158
    Nigelb said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m
    Parents will have to give consent. Unless they don't give consent, in which case their kids will be jabbed without their consent. That's a funny definition of "consent". Anyone who vaccinates my child without my consent will need a very good lawyer. That's a criminal assault.

Not the brightest of the BDS commentariat.
    Children are more likely to be struck by lightning that die of covid, and some studies show that immunity by infection is much more durable than immunity by vaccine .It would be more beneficial for children themselves to get covid naturally than by vaccine which is not 100% safe….

Just to be clear.
    Around 40 our if the entire populationdie from lightning strikes in the US each year.
    Around 300 kids have died from Covid:
    https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/04/19/pediatric-covid-cases-041921

From that article:

1. "Since the start of the pandemic, more than 3.63 million children have tested positive"
    2. "At least 297 children have died of COVID-19"
    3. "About 0.01% of children diagnosed with COVID-19 have died. "

Notice anything?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Never known one in all my years , hence I cannot understand the constant wittering about it. People seem to have feck all lives nowadays and have to rage about anything and everything.
    And you’re fucking zen by comparison I’m sure.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Torn between*

*both can be true

I think that is for moveable property - not heritable (family house, some real estate): not sure what happens with that last.,

Edit: was just trying to find out what does happen, and I came across a lawyer moaning that a child demanding legal rights can mess up a IHT avoidance scheme completely. What astounds me is the idea of giving legal and financial advice so contrary to the basic law of the land and just crossing fingers that someone won't demand their rights but go along with what is in the will (legatees having a choice between accepting what the testator tries to leave, and claiming their actual rights).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

It's not something I opine on. I have neither standing nor specific knowledge on the subject.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Yes I am chilled out and happy for all people to get on with their choice of lifestyle , assuming they are not harming others. Now feck off loser and get back to losing.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Back to the blood tests. Apparently the reason for the 'ban' is a shortage of suitable sample containers due to...... wait for it ..... Brexit.

I can't imagine what's going to go wrong next.

There is an international shortage of these bottles

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58324108
    The FBPE die hard anti brexit Brigade are an embarrassment. Every bad bit of news is down to brexit in their books yet it rarely stands up,to scrutiny.

I voted remain, I would,do again tomorrow but these idiots make being a remainer tough
    It doesn't matter if it stands up to scrutiny or not. We're in post-truth politics now as exemplified by that fat fucking filthy piece of shit Johnson.

There are no 'remainers' any longer as remain or even rejoin isn't an option. Brexit has split the country into two factions like World of Warcraft. We are not going to reconcile and suddenly pull together for the greater good by pretending Brexit is a great idea being brilliantly executed.
    Much in this. It may well be that for some people the Leave/Remain choice in 2016 was a bloodless chin-stroking evaluation of the practical pros and cons, but what it mainly was was a battle of identity and values, of CONFLICTING identity and values, which one side won and the other side lost. I think the (by far) better side lost but that's not important to this point. The point is it's split us down the middle (ish) and the divide will last a long time. I know things get magnified on internet forums and social media, and "RL" is less polarized, but still, Brexit isn't going away, even if we all stop talking about it.
    People tend to notice a divide more when they're on the wrong side of it.

Now imagine say a working class bloke from South Yorkshire who was told in 2003 that it doesn't matter if his pay rates are suppressed by cheap migrants and then in 2008 that the banks need to be bailed out but the mines and factories don't.

Both decisions taken by what he had always considered to be 'his side'.

Brexit was only a part of a class and regional divide which has been taking place for decades.
    I don't see it as "only a part" of anything coherent, let alone a rebellion of the proletariat over economic exploitation. I'd have voted Leave if that rang even halfway true to me.

But it's bullshit of course. Look at the leaders of the Brexit movement and those to whom it's delivered kudos and power. These are overwhelmingly on the reactionary right of politics. They aren't people whose priority is the working class getting a bigger share of wealth and opportunity in this country.

No, how I see Brexit is as a cleverly packaged (by these guys) fake solution to a disparate collection of grievances, some justified and some not, to an extent about money but mostly about identity and values.
    Do you know what the real LOL moment was of recent year ?

That Corbyn had the opportunity for the leftist revolution and control and blew it.

All he had to do was support May's deal to leave the EU and thereby split the Conservatives.

The result likely being a majority Corbyn government unconstrained by EU membership.

A dream of decades and which even after gaining control of the Labour party in 2015 must have seemed unobtainable.

Yet the opportunity presented itself and was lost.

In any case you're wrong, the working class are getting a bigger share of wealth and opportunity in this country and its those you call the 'reactionary right' who are giving it to them - whether through belief or self interest is another discussion.

Whereas it is self-styled 'progressives' whose continual call at any suggestion of rising wages for the low paid is 'we need more immigrants to keep the wages down'.
  • Options
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    TimT said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

It's not something I opine on. I have neither standing nor specific knowledge on the subject.
    I seem to recall someone many years ago who went the other way (female to male) but at the school one of my granddaughters attends there is a 15 year old boy who is, she says, accepted by the girls as 'one of them'. He is better at make-up than any of them, apparently, and she tells us that it is his aim in life to transition 'properly; and eventually become a full-time make up artist.
    I've not seen the lad, but I've seen pictures and he does do his make-up very well indeed.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,991
    F1: is Hamilton the third fastest British driver? :p
  • Options
    TimT said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Same here , I know nothing and would not comment either way.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

On a soixante-neuf basis their faces would tend to be obscured, so there is that.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

Yes I am chilled out and happy for all people to get on with their choice of lifestyle , assuming they are not harming others. Now feck off loser and get back to losing.
    I love it when you’re angry. You’re so dreamy. Like Pierce Brosnan as Remington Steele. I’d love to have your picture on my wall. Can you send me one?
  • Options

https://gizmodo.com/online-trolls-actually-just-assholes-all-the-time-stud-1847575210

Some of you, anyway ; )

--AS

Can confirm. I’m as big of an arsehole on here as I am in real life.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873

That Corbyn had the opportunity for the leftist revolution and control and blew it.

All he had to do was support May's deal to leave the EU and thereby split the Conservatives.

The result likely being a majority Corbyn government unconstrained by EU membership.

A dream of decades and which even after gaining control of the Labour party in 2015 must have seemed unobtainable.

In any case you're wrong, the working class are getting a bigger share of wealth and opportunity in this country and its those you call the 'reactionary right' who are giving it to them - whether through belief or self interest is another discussion.

Whereas it is self-styled 'progressives' whose continual call at any suggestion of rising wages for the low paid is 'we need more immigrants to keep the wages down'.

First, even if Corbyn had backed May's Deal (and assuming that had got through Parliament), would it have "split the Conservatives"? Would the likes of @MarqueeMark and @HYUFD have jumped ship to Farage? It seems implausible - after all, the Conservatives won a majority with UKIP in the field in 2015.

Corbyn would still have had his Marxist economics and his back story which were what made him unpalatable to large parts of the British electorate - had May got us out of the EU and called an election pre-Covid, she'd likely have won and she would have been a far more effective PM for the pandemic than Johnson and would have reaped a greater electoral reward - indeed, I'd venture, far from being widely reviled, she'd be in her seventh year as PM and being widely compared to the Blessed Margaret herself.

You're right Corbyn (and the rest of the Opposition after the 2017 GE) played a good hand badly and gifted the game to the staunchest advocates of leaving the EU.

As for the working classes "getting a bigger share of wealth and opportunity"? I'll believe that when I see it - it seems to this privileged observer the pandemic was fairly comfortable for higher-paid southern middle-class professionals who just retreated to their new home offices and home deliveries. Many lower paid either were furloughed or sacked or told to keep going whatever the risk.

I'm not sure who the "self styled progressives" are - quite a lot of industry likes cheap labour as it keeps costs down and those who generally make the economic argument for immigration don't see or appreciate the social consequences which often fall heaviest on your beloved "working class" in terms of housing, health and school provision but I suppose as long as the "working class" keeps voting Tory, that's okay?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

Laurence Fox ✌🏼🇬🇧✌🏼
    @LozzaFox
    ·
    5h
    I wish I could be at the march today. The only way this insane cruelty will end, is if we stand #together
  • Options

Laurence Fox ✌🏼🇬🇧✌🏼
    @LozzaFox
    ·
    5h
    I wish I could be at the march today. The only way this insane cruelty will end, is if we stand #together
    I wonder if there is a way that poor Billie Piper can expunge any records and memory of being married to that tosser.
  • Options
    stodge said:

As for the working classes "getting a bigger share of wealth and opportunity"? I'll believe that when I see it - it seems to this privileged observer the pandemic was fairly comfortable for higher-paid southern middle-class professionals who just retreated to their new home offices and home deliveries. Many lower paid either were furloughed or sacked or told to keep going whatever the risk.
    I don't think this particular phenomenon can be laid at any politician's feet. It has ever been thus since the advent of history, regardless of political system. Pandemics favour the affluent and are particularly cruel to the poor.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2021
    32,406 cases, 133 deaths

Cases down in England (for now...)
  • Options

Laurence Fox ✌🏼🇬🇧✌🏼
    @LozzaFox
    ·
    5h
    What's stopping him?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    edited August 2021

F1: is Hamilton the third fastest British driver? :p

You'd almost think that UK drivers get a lot of practice at driving in the wet.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Back to the blood tests. Apparently the reason for the 'ban' is a shortage of suitable sample containers due to...... wait for it ..... Brexit.

I can't imagine what's going to go wrong next.

There is an international shortage of these bottles

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58324108
    The FBPE die hard anti brexit Brigade are an embarrassment. Every bad bit of news is down to brexit in their books yet it rarely stands up,to scrutiny.

I voted remain, I would,do again tomorrow but these idiots make being a remainer tough
    It doesn't matter if it stands up to scrutiny or not. We're in post-truth politics now as exemplified by that fat fucking filthy piece of shit Johnson.

There are no 'remainers' any longer as remain or even rejoin isn't an option. Brexit has split the country into two factions like World of Warcraft. We are not going to reconcile and suddenly pull together for the greater good by pretending Brexit is a great idea being brilliantly executed.
    Much in this. It may well be that for some people the Leave/Remain choice in 2016 was a bloodless chin-stroking evaluation of the practical pros and cons, but what it mainly was was a battle of identity and values, of CONFLICTING identity and values, which one side won and the other side lost. I think the (by far) better side lost but that's not important to this point. The point is it's split us down the middle (ish) and the divide will last a long time. I know things get magnified on internet forums and social media, and "RL" is less polarized, but still, Brexit isn't going away, even if we all stop talking about it.
    People tend to notice a divide more when they're on the wrong side of it.

Now imagine say a working class bloke from South Yorkshire who was told in 2003 that it doesn't matter if his pay rates are suppressed by cheap migrants and then in 2008 that the banks need to be bailed out but the mines and factories don't.

Both decisions taken by what he had always considered to be 'his side'.

Brexit was only a part of a class and regional divide which has been taking place for decades.
    I don't see it as "only a part" of anything coherent, let alone a rebellion of the proletariat over economic exploitation. I'd have voted Leave if that rang even halfway true to me.

But it's bullshit of course. Look at the leaders of the Brexit movement and those to whom it's delivered kudos and power. These are overwhelmingly on the reactionary right of politics. They aren't people whose priority is the working class getting a bigger share of wealth and opportunity in this country.

No, how I see Brexit is as a cleverly packaged (by these guys) fake solution to a disparate collection of grievances, some justified and some not, to an extent about money but mostly about identity and values.

We'll see if these guys deliver real economic benefit for the working class. I price the "Yes" at 33. And I'd lay that.

As for Corbyn voting May's Brexit through - course he should have done but the party would not have allowed it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    stodge said:

First, even if Corbyn had backed May's Deal (and assuming that had got through Parliament), would it have "split the Conservatives"? Would the likes of @MarqueeMark and @HYUFD have jumped ship to Farage? It seems implausible - after all, the Conservatives won a majority with UKIP in the field in 2015.

Corbyn would still have had his Marxist economics and his back story which were what made him unpalatable to large parts of the British electorate - had May got us out of the EU and called an election pre-Covid, she'd likely have won and she would have been a far more effective PM for the pandemic than Johnson and would have reaped a greater electoral reward - indeed, I'd venture, far from being widely reviled, she'd be in her seventh year as PM and being widely compared to the Blessed Margaret herself.

You're right Corbyn (and the rest of the Opposition after the 2017 GE) played a good hand badly and gifted the game to the staunchest advocates of leaving the EU.

I'm not sure who the "self styled progressives" are - quite a lot of industry likes cheap labour as it keeps costs down and those who generally make the economic argument for immigration don't see or appreciate the social consequences which often fall heaviest on your beloved "working class" in terms of housing, health and school provision but I suppose as long as the "working class" keeps voting Tory, that's okay?
    1) Would a Corbyn government have been guaranteed ? Certainly not but it looks like the best opportunity for one.

2) Many of the low paid have certainly had a more difficult experience during the pandemic but the possibility of higher wages for them now brings a pavlovian hostility.

3) Some businesses often wants an unlimited supply of ever cheaper workers. The sort of business exploitation which has traditionally been condemned by those on the centre left. Yet some such people want to facilitate such exploitation.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

32,406 cases, 133 deaths

Cases down in England (for now...)

He's worried about getting COVID from all those unwashed unvaccinated marchers.

EDIT Reply to correct poster, wrong post. :D re Lozza
  • Options
    TimT said:

stodge said:

I don't think this particular phenomenon can be laid at any politician's feet. It has ever been thus since the advent of history, regardless of political system. Pandemics favour the affluent and are particularly cruel to the poor.
    I don't disagree - @another_richard was trying to make the point the "working classes" had benefitted greatly from the UK leaving the EU and the policies of the Johnson Government.

My view is the jury is still very much out on this - the costs and risks of the pandemic were, as you rightly point out, disproportionately borne by those who had to "keep going" during the virus - I saw a statistic last week saying 71% of the work force in Richmond-on-Thames was able to work from home compared to just 13% in Bolton.

It's been said here and I don't demur - the well-paid administrative middle classes and professionals were able quite easily to remove themselves to their homes, carry on working, sign up to home deliveries and function pretty well albeit minus the foreign holiday.

For many others, that wasn't an option - I've heard many tales of individuals forced to continue working, having to work knowing they may have the virus because, to be blunt, they couldn't survive without their jobs in terms of having to pay rent, buy food etc. These aren't workers with sick pay or holiday pay on which they can fall back - they are the kinds of workers who get sacked if they don't turn up because their boss can (or could) quickly find a replacement.

Where @another_richard does have a point is the change in labour supply may finally give some workers a bit of leverage - perhaps they'll organise into groups like unions and we know how popular they are among some on here...vote Leave, bring back the TUC.
  • Options
    What are they protesting about this week, non-existent lockdowns or non-existent vaccine passports?

https://twitter.com/cjsnowdon/status/1431637660477575168?s=20
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    4m
    English cases numbers now contracting on a 7 day rolling basis as well as on a day of the week basis. Down 7% today vs last Saturday & 0.4% on a rolling 7 day basis. Numbers are also down on a 2 week basis (suggesting this is not an artefact of high numbers last week).
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    4m
    English cases numbers now contracting on a 7 day rolling basis as well as on a day of the week basis. Down 7% today vs last Saturday & 0.4% on a rolling 7 day basis. Numbers are also down on a 2 week basis (suggesting this is not an artefact of high numbers last week).

Schools in England go back late next week/at the beginning of next week.

I’ll be amazed if that doesn’t produce a spike in numbers a week later.
  • Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    4m

Schools in England go back late next week/at the beginning of next week.

I’ll be amazed if that doesn’t produce a spike in numbers a week later.
    Maybe but kids getting covid does not add to the hospital numbers.
  • Options
    On to other matters on this mundane Saturday afternoon.

Justin Trudeau is fighting for his political life in Canada. The three firms doing daily rolling polls, Nanos Research, Mainstreet Research and EKOS, are now all showing Conservative leads. Yesterday's Mainstreet had the Conservatives eight points ahead of the Liberals (37-29) but that didn't convert to a big seats swing as the Conservatives were just piling up votes in the Prairies.

In terms of seats, the Liberals were on 138 (-19) and the Conservatives 137 (+16).

We've not had a non-rolling poll since Monday and I expect more polls over the weekend but the trend is definitely looking bad for Trudeau and it's looking like September might be a month of big Government changes with incumbents struggling in Canada, Norway and Germany.

One country where the incumbent Government is recovering after a poor spell is Spain. After the November 2019 election, PSOE formed a minority coalition with Unidas Podemos (UP) and support from the Greens in January 2020. Basically, the Government led in most polls until the opposition centre-right PP scored an emphatic victory in the Madrid regional election in May. From then, PP under Casado has led most polls and opened up a significant 5-7% lead until now.

A new poll from Simple Logica (changes from Nov 2019 election)

PSOE: 27.9% (-0.1)
    PP: 25% (+3.8)
    VOX: 15.9% (+0.8)
    UP: 10.8% (-2.9)
    Greens: 4.6% (+2.2)
    Citizens: 2.9% (-3.9)

The implosion of the Citizens makes the UK LDs look healthy by comparison. The next Spanish election isn't due until the end of 2023.
  • Options
    stodge said:

TimT said:

stodge said:

I don't disagree - @another_richard was trying to make the point the "working classes" had benefitted greatly from the UK leaving the EU and the policies of the Johnson Government.

My view is the jury is still very much out on this - the costs and risks of the pandemic were, as you rightly point out, disproportionately borne by those who had to "keep going" during the virus - I saw a statistic last week saying 71% of the work force in Richmond-on-Thames was able to work from home compared to just 13% in Bolton.

It's been said here and I don't demur - the well-paid administrative middle classes and professionals were able quite easily to remove themselves to their homes, carry on working, sign up to home deliveries and function pretty well albeit minus the foreign holiday.

For many others, that wasn't an option - I've heard many tales of individuals forced to continue working, having to work knowing they may have the virus because, to be blunt, they couldn't survive without their jobs in terms of having to pay rent, buy food etc. These aren't workers with sick pay or holiday pay on which they can fall back - they are the kinds of workers who get sacked if they don't turn up because their boss can (or could) quickly find a replacement.

Where @another_richard does have a point is the change in labour supply may finally give some workers a bit of leverage - perhaps they'll organise into groups like unions and we know how popular they are among some on here...vote Leave, bring back the TUC.
    Its the last part which baffles me.

The low paid getting employment leverage with more job opportunities and better pay should delight all on the centre-left.

Especially as its the most exploitative businesses who will lose out.

Yet I hear no cheering for this.

Just a continual whine that more migrants are needed to stop prices rising.
  • Options

stodge said:

Its the last part which baffles me.

The low paid getting employment leverage with more job opportunities and better pay should delight all on the centre-left.

Especially as its the most exploitative businesses who will lose out.

Yet I hear no cheering for this.

Just a continual whine that more migrants are needed to stop prices rising.
    I remember back in the 1970s someone once said inflation affected everyone, unemployment only affected those who had no work.

That simplistic view went a long way to explaining why inflation has always been as the greater monster.

I'm on the centre-left and I don't know anyone who has put forward the argument you assert.

As I've already said, the argument for immigration isn't primarily economic but humanitarian.

Where I parted company with the EU (and the LDs) was the Single Market - just as the Industrial Revolution drew people from the fields to the factories so the Single Market drew people from the poorest parts of the EU to the richest whether that be the Rhineland or London.

People will always go to the money - the almost Guizot-like notion of "enrichessez-vous" or, more adroitly, Norman Tebbit telling us to get on our bikes and look for work.

The EU became that thing whereas once, a long time ago, it was about trying to improve the economic prospects of the peripheries and the poorer areas. Objective One funding for infrastructure improvements in the south-west was about that but somewhere along the line the EU lost that dream.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Some of you, anyway ; )

--AS

Can confirm. I’m as big of an arsehole on here as I am in real life.
    you flatter yourself