Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let us talk about the man who wanted to castrate Michael Gove – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,156
    @NickMotown
    I’m not going to slag off the Reading Festival line-up like many seem to be doing. Mainly because I don’t know who 97% of the acts are. And that’s exactly as it should be. I’m 48. People have been through enough shit this last year and a half. I hope it’s a roaring success.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m
    Parents will have to give consent. Unless they don't give consent, in which case their kids will be jabbed without their consent. That's a funny definition of "consent". Anyone who vaccinates my child without my consent will need a very good lawyer. That's a criminal assault.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited August 2021
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

New Lucidtalk NI Assembly poll has new DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson failing to stop the party's decline.

The UUP, TUV and SDLP are all up and the DUP and Alliance are down.

The UUP and TUV push the DUP into 3rd place of the Unionist parties as it continues to lose moderates to the UUP and hardliners to the TUV.

Full figures and changes since last poll in brackets

SF 25% (no change)
    UUP 16% (+2%)
    TUV 14% (+3%)
    DUP 13% (-3%)
    Alliance 13% (-3%)
    SDLP 13% (+1%)
    https://twitter.com/SuzyJourno/status/1431500657303949312?s=20

Unless the Unionists get their act together they're gonna do very badly next time round.
    Actually if you look at the figures the Unionist combined vote (UUP+TUV+DUP) is up a net 2% on the last poll and the Nationalist combined vote (SF+SDLP) up only a net 1% with the Alliance down 3%.

As Stormont has PR the Unionist parties will still comfortably win more MLAs combined than the Nationalist parties therefore even if Michelle O'Neil becomes FM.

The main news is more the collapse of the DUP, not only would they lose the FM post on that poll, they would lose the DFM post too with UUP Leader Doug Beattie becoming DFM instead of current DUP FM Paul Givan
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z2rj/newsnight-27082021

So the clip of BoJo and Raab is 100% real, if you go to 6:16 or thereabouts, it's right there.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

I know Scott linked to this upthread, but it's well worth a watch - only 44 seconds of Boris and Dom at their finest. It's a brilliant pastiche of The Thick of It. The highlight is when Boris says 'Amazing!' in reference to the fact that people trying to get out of Afghanistan are still hanging around even after the terrorist attack. Government as satire.

https://twitter.com/Zero_4/status/1431372211068227590

I cannot believe this is real, that's genuinely amazing.

It won't shift a single vote of course but I am comforted more and more every day that I made the right decision in not voting for this arsehole
    It is.

I don't think the lady in green will be rushing to vote him back in.
    Did she vote for him, how do we know that?

Hope you are well too.
    I'm good. You?

She just looks as if she is barely controlling herself from telling Johnson what she thinks of him.

His email remark reminds me of PG Wodehouse in a German internment camp in 1940 or 41, saying in a letter that it was a nice enough place but he was puzzled by the number of jews there.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m
    Parents will have to give consent. Unless they don't give consent, in which case their kids will be jabbed without their consent. That's a funny definition of "consent". Anyone who vaccinates my child without my consent will need a very good lawyer. That's a criminal assault.

Not the brightest of the BDS commentariat.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

Good afternoon everyone. If Ben Wallace wants to stir things up, he could publicly attack Carrie. As she is not in government (?) attacking her will not breach cabinet responsibility. It would also put Boris in a very difficult position. Does he sack Wallace and be seen to supporting Carrie and Farthing over British citizens in Afghanistan, or do nothing and risk Carrie’s wrath?

It doesn't put Johnson in a difficult position at all. Sack Sergeant Slaphead and put another yes person of limited faculties in the job. Dowden must be looking for a promotion after his months of loyal service on the front line of the culture war. Wallace isn't going to be a focus of anti-Johnson sentiment on the backbenches so what does it matter?
  • Options
    I am genuinely staggered they allowed him to go there, it just looks like he was there for the cameras. Now I know that's the case for all politicians but they normally do a better job of pretending like they care.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Not a morning to keep occasionally dropping by to check on the cricket......
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,709
    edited August 2021

Jeezo, I suspect those wee canisters of grated foot callouses labelled Parmesan would be a revelation to these people let alone the flaked variety. Is that the same Tugendhat family as the current chief Afghanistan emoter?

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1431221914056396800?s=21

Jeez, the state of that.
    (and it ain’t the 70s - my mum was a far better cook back then.)

And yes - uncle.
    Looking at that recipe, it’s no wonder he decamped to Europe to become a Commissioner.

(The Heath nut soufflé looks at least palatable.)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    Taxi for Arteta.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780
    Andy_JS said:

England win by an innings and 76 runs.

Amazing, amazing!
  • Options
    What an incredible Test.

Very generous of the English bowlers to let the Indians have a day to play yesterday.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    Nigelb said:

Jeezo, I suspect those wee canisters of grated foot callouses labelled Parmesan would be a revelation to these people let alone the flaked variety. Is that the same Tugendhat family as the current chief Afghanistan emoter?

Jeez, the state of that.

And yes - uncle.
    Looking at that recipe, it’s no wonder he decamped to Europe to become a Commissioner.

Though the soufflé was presented by Heath's housekeeper which might explain that.
    The past truly is a foreign country.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Picked the wrong day to reignite an interest in Arsenal as my Premier League team.
  • Options

UK troops en-route home:

Inbound to the UK. Great touch from the crew.

https://twitter.com/Si_II_1978/status/1431563900265369609?s=20

Home? Nope - has no-one told them they have to go and hold a bit of river in Vietnam.....
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m

Victoria Gillick would like a word…
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747

Nigelb said:

Jeez, the state of that.

And yes - uncle.

Though the soufflé was presented by Heath's housekeeper which might explain that.
    Is it possible to buy the cook book? Some of the recipes look interesting.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Jeez, the state of that.

And yes - uncle.

There's something of an irony that people have a tendency to laugh at those of the past for eating very simplistic meals ... and also laugh at those of the present for 'not knowing how to cook' so getting takeaways and ready meals etc instead.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

This thread says more about the author's prejudice than anything else. He has no evidence,none that Raab was incompetent.

A blind man could see that absolute trumpet is incompetent. I would trust him to run a bath.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Jeez, the state of that.

And yes - uncle.

Is it possible to buy the cook book? Some of the recipes look interesting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-blue-cookery-book-Conservative/dp/0716006308
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Picked the wrong day to reignite an interest in Arsenal as my Premier League team.

Don't get all this talk of how Man City desperately need a striker.

A goalie, on the other hand.....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

England win by an innings and 76 runs.

Congrats to Indi...er, I mean England! :blush:
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m

Children are more likely to be struck by lightning that die of covid, and some studies show that immunity by infection is much more durable than immunity by vaccine .It would be more beneficial for children themselves to get covid naturally than by vaccine which is not 100% safe.

So your enthusiasm for vaccinating children from covid is to protect you, isn't it? not them. And the truth is you are prepared to accept whatever (albeit rare) collateral damage is done to those kids, to make your life, as you see it, a little 'safer'.

You are also prepared to accept as collateral damage to protect your 'safety' whatever mental suffering children have to undergo in this vaccination programme. The bullying, the nudging, the stigma if parents object, the name calling from your peers. That idea that as a child you are some kind of leper, some kind of walking time bomb

Just to be clear.
  • Options

MattW said:

On the cats'n'dogs, Wallace took the only position possible for any non-deranged politician - people before pooches.

I wonder how Pen wotsit's reputation will survive.

All that rhetoric about 'plane will be filled with people where for places our staff don't take', getting into bed with Dominic Dyer, all that trolling from supporters and the rest.

Pen will be fine. He's a Military Hero, and he's saving pets. In the court of British public opinion, that makes him doubly immune.

(For avoidance of doubt, this is a bad thing.)
    Yes suits them better saving stray dogs rather than people, there they just leave their names and addresses so they can be picked up easily. As if we did not have enough unwanted animals in this country we are now paying for the army to collect more from abroad. Good that they have so much spare time.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Do the telegraph provide a list? bet the red wall is well represented.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Don't get all this talk of how Man City desperately need a striker.

A goalie, on the other hand.....
    I don’t know where to start with Arsenal. Neither does Arteta it appears.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m

Children are more likely to be struck by lightning that die of covid, and some studies show that immunity by infection is much more durable than immunity by vaccine .It would be more beneficial for children themselves to get covid naturally than by vaccine which is not 100% safe.

So your enthusiasm for vaccinating children from covid is to protect you, isn't it? not them. And the truth is you are prepared to accept whatever (albeit rare) collateral damage is done to those kids, to make your life, as you see it, a little 'safer'.

You are also prepared to accept as collateral damage to protect your 'safety' whatever mental suffering children have to undergo in this vaccination programme. The bullying, the nudging, the stigma if parents object, the name calling from your peers. That idea that as a child you are some kind of leper, some kind of walking time bomb

Just to be clear.
    Children die from lightning, I recall a young lad dying on the football pitch the other week being on the news. So what the fuck kind of point is that? Should we not mourn those who die from rare deaths? Should we not offer protection we have available for them?

Children are protected by the vaccine so if it makes them less likely to be "struck by lightning" then how is that anything other than a good thing.

PS what the fuck "collateral damage" are you talking about? And is that more or less likely than being struck by lightning?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    DougSeal said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m

Victoria Gillick would agree, perhaps. Her Court Case was trying to stop the NHS giving contraception to children under 16 without parental consent, was it not?

As a matter of Law the parental right to determine whether or not their minor child below the age of sixteen will have medical treatment terminates if and when the child achieves sufficient understanding and intelligence to understand fully what is proposed.

— Lord Scarman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,778
    Been noodling around in transparency data and Government Ministers declared meeting just 7 refugee charities in 2020.
    That year they engaged 150 times with animal welfare/wildlife charities. Ministers had 4x the number of meetings with the RSPB than they did refugee charities.

https://twitter.com/nicolesykes_/status/1431560461577764865?s=21
  • Options

UK troops en-route home:

Inbound to the UK. Great touch from the crew.

https://twitter.com/Si_II_1978/status/1431563900265369609?s=20

Home? Nope - has no-one told them they have to go and hold a bit of river in Vietnam.....
    At least they didn't hang up a Mission Accomplished banner.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Back to the blood tests. Apparently the reason for the 'ban' is a shortage of suitable sample containers due to...... wait for it ..... Brexit.

I can't imagine what's going to go wrong next.

There is an international shortage of these bottles

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58324108
    The FBPE die hard anti brexit Brigade are an embarrassment. Every bad bit of news is down to brexit in their books yet it rarely stands up,to scrutiny.

I voted remain, I would,do again tomorrow but these idiots make being a remainer tough
    It doesn't matter if it stands up to scrutiny or not. We're in post-truth politics now as exemplified by that fat fucking filthy piece of shit Johnson.

There are no 'remainers' any longer as remain or even rejoin isn't an option. Brexit has split the country into two factions like World of Warcraft. We are not going to reconcile and suddenly pull together for the greater good by pretending Brexit is a great idea being brilliantly executed.
    Much in this. It may well be that for some people the Leave/Remain choice in 2016 was a bloodless chin-stroking evaluation of the practical pros and cons, but what it mainly was was a battle of identity and values, of CONFLICTING identity and values, which one side won and the other side lost. I think the (by far) better side lost but that's not important to this point. The point is it's split us down the middle (ish) and the divide will last a long time. I know things get magnified on internet forums and social media, and "RL" is less polarized, but still, Brexit isn't going away, even if we all stop talking about it.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    MattW said:

DougSeal said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m

Victoria Gillick would agree, perhaps. Her Court Case was trying to stop the NHS giving contraception to children under 16 without parental consent, was it not?

As a matter of Law the parental right to determine whether or not their minor child below the age of sixteen will have medical treatment terminates if and when the child achieves sufficient understanding and intelligence to understand fully what is proposed.

— Lord Scarman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillick_competence
    She lost the case - the point I’m making is that she lost the argument JHB is making the hard way.

Edit - and the principle that’s named after her, Gillick Competence, is one she argued against. That’s got to hurt.
  • Options

As Pen Farthing escapes Afghanistan with 150 cats and dogs, there are British people still there.

This is Ben Slater, former bodyguard to ambassadors, who has spent 2 weeks helping evacuate people.

Now he thinks he might not get out himself.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1431571010772475905?s=20

Says it all
  • Options

Agent P 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇬🇧
    @AgentP22 ·4h
    Ouch!

Andrew Neil's excoriating review of Sturgeon's tawdry deal with the Greens.

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/1431516570208153602

Is this piece correct? Neil says Greens wont get any scottish government Cabinet seats in exchange for their agreement. Seems an odd deal.

They get two junior posts for the 30 pieces of silver. The fancy car and driver and oodles of extra money will make them very happy. Given it is only the two supposed joint leaders who are grabbing the posts for themselves , the other drongo's have to slum on MSP wages and expenses for doing nothing.
  • Options
    Every Premier League weekend I hope that Ipswich’s unwanted 9-0 record will be superseded by a 10-0. Could happen at the Ethiad here.
  • Options
    "Monkey stew" contributed by the wife of the MP for Romford.

https://flashbak.com/the-true-blue-cookery-book-1977-424630/
  • Options
    I have seen an early draft of the leader of the opposition’s speech to his party conference. This is the paragraph that caught my eye: “Instead of talking about the things that most people care about, we talked about what we cared about most. While parents worried about childcare, getting the kids to school, balancing work and family life, we were banging on about Brexit.”
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I have seen an early draft of the leader of the opposition’s speech to his party conference. This is the paragraph that caught my eye: “Instead of talking about the things that most people care about, we talked about what we cared about most. While parents worried about childcare, getting the kids to school, balancing work and family life, we were banging on about Brexit.”

Maybe it's a Scottish perspective but I'd thought that the current and previous leaders of the opposition tended to avoid banging on about Brexit?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Pulpstar said:

Point of fact, Theon wasn't just castrated..

I'm going off the books.

The show was much more graphic.
    Its there in the books, its just implicit rather than explicit.

Ramsay pulled his hand free and slapped her face. "I was told that you'd know how to please a man. Was that a lie?"

"N-no, my lord. I was t-trained."

Ramsay rose, the firelight shining on his face. "Reek, get over here. Get her ready for me."

For a moment he did not understand. "I... do you mean... m'lord, I have no... I..."

"With your mouth," Lord Ramsay said.

There's other references too that he is "not a man" anymore etc
    IMHO, Ramsay flayed Theon's penis.
  • Options

Is that an early Cameron speech with Europe replaced by Brexit?
    I've read the piece back twice now and I am still confused as to whether it's in the speech or not. This paragraph seems to imply it is and then contradicts itself, perhaps I'm just a bit hungover.

Anyway, that is what he should do. Banging on about Brexit is a disastrous strategy
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/SuzyJourno/status/1431509498997485570

They traditionally backed the Tories but is that still the case?

Not only backed them, in 2010 the UUP and Tories stood joint candidates in Northern Ireland.

The UUP are the Tories' sister party in NI, just as the SDLP are Labour's sister party and the Alliance are the LDs sister party so the swing from DUP to UUP is not necessarily bad news for Boris.

I would expect the DUP vote to hold up better for Westminster though which is FPTP unlike Stormont which has PR

Beattie is probably a good leader to regain support from Alliance.

In the end, I expect most people who say they'll vote TUV will vote DUP.
  • Options
    Arteta....sacked in the morning....your going to be sacked in the morning....
  • Options

What an incredible Test.

Very generous of the English bowlers to let the Indians have a day to play yesterday.

All about ticket sales.....and refunds.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308

I know Scott linked to this upthread, but it's well worth a watch - only 44 seconds of Boris and Dom at their finest. It's a brilliant pastiche of The Thick of It. The highlight is when Boris says 'Amazing!' in reference to the fact that people trying to get out of Afghanistan are still hanging around even after the terrorist attack. Government as satire.

https://twitter.com/Zero_4/status/1431372211068227590

I cannot believe this is real, that's genuinely amazing.

It won't shift a single vote of course but I am comforted more and more every day that I made the right decision in not voting for this arsehole
    I saw that on iPlayer and thought the same; you cannot but wonder how such a buffoon managed to get put in charge of the country.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

He says “all the emails” like it’s irritating spam. The flippancy and joviality with which he refers to the plight of abandoned, desperate UK citizens is contemptible. These are human beings Prime Minister, in case you’ve forgotten.
    https://twitter.com/heidiallen75/status/1431522683225841664

Going viral this one and rightly so. Just nails the vacuity of the man, no script or actors required.

"Amazing, amazing" ... yep it sure is. It's amazing.
    It is very David Brent, however what should he have said or done in that scenario? I wouldn't really know what to say either. So then what is the purpose of the whole visit?

Motivate the staff? They looked like they hated it.
    Good PR opportunity? Surely not?
    Help the PM and FS understand what is happening?

Is this a sensible use of both the PM and FS time in the first place?
    I don't know, PR, I suppose. Bad PR, as it turns out. I suppose it's pointless expecting him to be something he's not. Eg here he's not pretending to have a grip on things or any real (as opposed to camp) empathy with the situation. In that sense he IS authentic.
  • Options
    Man City 3, Arsenal 0
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Back to the blood tests. Apparently the reason for the 'ban' is a shortage of suitable sample containers due to...... wait for it ..... Brexit.

The FBPE die hard anti brexit Brigade are an embarrassment. Every bad bit of news is down to brexit in their books yet it rarely stands up,to scrutiny.

I voted remain, I would,do again tomorrow but these idiots make being a remainer tough
    It doesn't matter if it stands up to scrutiny or not. We're in post-truth politics now as exemplified by that fat fucking filthy piece of shit Johnson.

There are no 'remainers' any longer as remain or even rejoin isn't an option. Brexit has split the country into two factions like World of Warcraft. We are not going to reconcile and suddenly pull together for the greater good by pretending Brexit is a great idea being brilliantly executed.
    Much in this. It may well be that for some people the Leave/Remain choice in 2016 was a bloodless chin-stroking evaluation of the practical pros and cons, but what it mainly was was a battle of identity and values, of CONFLICTING identity and values, which one side won and the other side lost. I think the (by far) better side lost but that's not important to this point. The point is it's split us down the middle (ish) and the divide will last a long time. I know things get magnified on internet forums and social media, and "RL" is less polarized, but still, Brexit isn't going away, even if we all stop talking about it.
    People tend to notice a divide more when they're on the wrong side of it.

Now imagine say a working class bloke from South Yorkshire who was told in 2003 that it doesn't matter if his pay rates are suppressed by cheap migrants and then in 2008 that the banks need to be bailed out but the mines and factories don't.

Both decisions taken by what he had always considered to be 'his side'.

Brexit was only a part of a class and regional divide which has been taking place for decades.
  • Options
    British commanders urge PM to expand scheme to allow former Afghan interpreters to resettle in UK

In an open letter, they warned if any of the UK's former interpreters or other staff are murdered by the Taliban as British and other NATO forces withdraw from the country "the dishonour would lay squarely at our nation's feet".

Wednesday 28 July 2021 16:09, UK

https://news.sky.com/story/british-commanders-urge-pm-to-expand-scheme-to-allow-former-afghan-interpreters-to-resettle-in-uk-12366488
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1431589915733725184

This seems to have been a major strategic error, can somebody explain this one?
  • Options
    Last dedicated RAF flight of civilian evacuees has left Kabul

Small numbers of civilians may make it on to military flights this weekend

Final military flight from Kabul will leave this weekend

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1431594861006888964?s=20
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Point of fact, Theon wasn't just castrated..

I'm going off the books.

The show was much more graphic.
    Its there in the books, its just implicit rather than explicit.

Ramsay pulled his hand free and slapped her face. "I was told that you'd know how to please a man. Was that a lie?"

"N-no, my lord. I was t-trained."

Ramsay rose, the firelight shining on his face. "Reek, get over here. Get her ready for me."

For a moment he did not understand. "I... do you mean... m'lord, I have no... I..."

"With your mouth," Lord Ramsay said.

There's other references too that he is "not a man" anymore etc
    IMHO, Ramsay flayed Theon's penis.
    Yes Ramsay flayed his penis leaving Theon to beg him to cut it off. *Shudder*

The torture in the books is actually worse than that of the TV show. The books just leave more to the imagination, which makes it worse.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Nigelb said:

Jeez, the state of that.

And yes - uncle.

There's something of an irony that people have a tendency to laugh at those of the past for eating very simplistic meals ... and also laugh at those of the present for 'not knowing how to cook' so getting takeaways and ready meals etc instead.
    Simple is fine - those were just crap.
    Though you’re right that wasn’t unusual in the 70s.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    edited August 2021
    4-0 now. Arsenal heaaded bottom of the table. City about to bring on Sterling and Mahrez...
  • Options
    Picking up clear resentment about the way Pen Farthing has conducted himself among the UK forces on ground. Am told he is still criticising government even as everything going down to the wire

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1431597339190472704?s=20
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

I refer to the questions I've asked before: how many of those wanted to leave; what were the problems that stopped more people from being repatriated; where were the delays in the system, etc, etc.

It's all been a big balls-up - I'm particularly bemused by rescuing cats and dogs, which must have taken time and attention needed elsewhere. There'll be many causal factors into how we got into this mess.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Jeez, the state of that.

And yes - uncle.

Simple is fine - those were just crap.
    Though you’re right that wasn’t unusual in the 70s.
    The most noticeable thing in that cookbook is the tiny number of ingredients per recipe.

It's rare to get a cookbook recipe nowaday without a dozen to twenty plus now it seems.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m

Children are more likely to be struck by lightning that die of covid, and some studies show that immunity by infection is much more durable than immunity by vaccine .It would be more beneficial for children themselves to get covid naturally than by vaccine which is not 100% safe….

Just to be clear.
    Around 40 our if the entire populationdie from lightning strikes in the US each year.
    Around 300 kids have died from Covid:
    https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/04/19/pediatric-covid-cases-041921

• Options
    dixiedean said:

4-0 now. Arsenal heaaded bottom of the table. City about to bring on Sterling and Mahrez...

How on earth did the Arsenal hierarchy and fans manage to delude themselves that they had the new Pep/Klopp and that all Arteta needed was time and money?
  • Options
    I love following @TSE on Twitter because I know what he's going to post before he posts it, it's like being a time traveller from two minutes in the past
  • Options
    Anyhoo, nice way of the Arsenal to honour the tenth anniversary of their 8-2 defeat to Man United.

https://theathletic.com/2791608/2021/08/28/humiliation-isnt-the-word-for-it-manchester-united-8-2-arsenal-told-by-those-involved-a-decade-on/
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

I refer to the questions I've asked before: how many of those wanted to leave; what were the problems that stopped more people from being repatriated; where were the delays in the system, etc, etc.

It's all been a big balls-up - I'm particularly bemused by rescuing cats and dogs, which must have taken time and attention needed elsewhere. There'll be many causal factors into how we got into this mess.
    The Torygraph probably, and no doubt the Trumpogorgons too, will blame the mess on (the 78 year old, note) Biden.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191

Anyhoo, nice way of the Arsenal to honour the tenth anniversary of their 8-2 defeat to Man United.

https://theathletic.com/2791608/2021/08/28/humiliation-isnt-the-word-for-it-manchester-united-8-2-arsenal-told-by-those-involved-a-decade-on/

We finished third that season...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Posting from outside St James Park. Can’t wait for the mountain of dross ahead of me.

Ps brucey brucey giz us a wave 👋
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

You had a decent manager then.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Toms said:

The Torygraph probably, and no doubt the Trumpogorgons too, will blame the mess on (the 78 year old, note) Biden.
    More than enough blame to go round, no need to skimp.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

People tend to notice a divide more when they're on the wrong side of it.

Now imagine say a working class bloke from South Yorkshire who was told in 2003 that it doesn't matter if his pay rates are suppressed by cheap migrants and then in 2008 that the banks need to be bailed out but the mines and factories don't.

Both decisions taken by what he had always considered to be 'his side'.

Brexit was only a part of a class and regional divide which has been taking place for decades.
    I don't see it as "only a part" of anything coherent, let alone a rebellion of the proletariat over economic exploitation. I'd have voted Leave if that rang even halfway true to me.

But it's bullshit of course. Look at the leaders of the Brexit movement and those to whom it's delivered kudos and power. These are overwhelmingly on the reactionary right of politics. They aren't people whose priority is the working class getting a bigger share of wealth and opportunity in this country.

No, how I see Brexit is as a cleverly packaged (by these guys) fake solution to a disparate collection of grievances, some justified and some not, to an extent about money but mostly about identity and values.
  • Options
    Andra Neil frothing about Scotland's 'absurd voting system' that has propelled the 'ECO-ZEALOT MARXISTS' to power.

• Options
    https://twitter.com/sjsuth/status/1431595705567748099

People should only post Propaganda for Lefties ironically now
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited August 2021
    Just think, in an alternate timeline this Arsenal team are playing in this season's European Super League.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191

tlg86 said:

This lot will do well to finish 17th this season.

By the way, there’s very good wifi at the Etihad, can’t the mancs afford smartphones or something?
  • Options
    Toms said:

As is often the case, there will probably be lots of blame to go around. However, the US were the lead architect of the war and occupation of Afghanistan, and they did the deal to leave. Trump and Biden may well be the primary architects of this mess.

The question then becomes, given the constraints, whether the UK government could have done a better job. I think the answer to that is yes. If so, the question evolves to why didn't they? Incompetence? Lack of resources? Lack of political will? Bad luck? A combination of these and more?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    edited August 2021

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m

Just to be clear.
    Do you really think all that is true?

The chance of a child dying from a vaccine is incredibly smaller than the chance of them dying of covid. None of the (incredibly rare) myocardial events resulted in death. Whilst 24 children under 15 have indeed died of covid in England alone (out of 441,797 recorded cases). This is, fortunately, only a one in 18,408 chance, or 54 per million.

There were over 7,000 hospitalisations out of those 441,797 cases. That's a mercifully small 1.6% (and we only catch about one in two infections as cases, so it's certainly a sub-1% risk. Let's get optimistic and suggest a 0.5% risk of a child infected by covid from getting so seriously ill they need to be rushed to hospital. And 15-20 per million dying.

That's 5,000 per million. Of whom 15-20 would die.

Why am I doing "per million?" Because that's the scale on which vaccine risks become apparent.
    For males aged 12-17 years, the risk of myocarditis is around 66 per million - many of whom wouldn't be severe enough to be hospitalised, and the vast majority of those who were hospitalised would recover quickly without ongoing symptoms (median period in hospital: 1 day). Of the about one in twenty of them (so about 3 per million) would be seriously ill. Literally every case the CDC found recovered.

So let's not underplay the risks in either direction.

Catching covid: 5,000 per million hospitalised, 15-20 dying.
    Being vaccinated: 60-70 per million hospitalised, 0-1 dying.

There's a risk balance there, but you're stretching the truth beyond breaking point to claim with any certainty that "It would be more beneficial for children themselves to get covid naturally than by vaccine which is not 100% safe."

In my book, 5,000 is bigger than 60-70, and 15-20 is bigger than 0-1.

You're trying too hard to support the claim you want to be true - that people want to vaccinate kids to protect themselves rather than the kids.
    Yes, we do need to consider the risks. But let's not pretend that the vaccines look to have greater risks than infection when all the evidence is pointing at infection having orders of magnitude greater risks even for children.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Some of us in Blighty do seem to prefer animals to people.

A vignette: some years ago I was out for a run. I was sweaty and wearing only a T-shirt and shorts. A (probably pedigreed) mutt raced across the park and charged whereupon I kicked it in the face inciting the owner to shout "I'LL REPORT YOU!!".
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    16m

Children are more likely to be struck by lightning that die of covid, and some studies show that immunity by infection is much more durable than immunity by vaccine .It would be more beneficial for children themselves to get covid naturally than by vaccine which is not 100% safe….

Just to be clear.
    Around 40 our if the entire populationdie from lightning strikes in the US each year.
    Around 300 kids have died from Covid:
    https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/04/19/pediatric-covid-cases-041921

So it was not only meaningless, it was an antivaxx lie.

Why should we expect any better from contrarian? If he was honest, he wouldn't be an antivaxxer.
  • Options
    Actually... as we're approaching the end of the airlift, losing an aircraft for a couple of weeks might not matter. Losing it last week, in the middle of the airlift, might have mattered much more.

Quite why it takes weeks to (presumably) clean an aircraft is another matter.
  • Options
    Nearly 15,000 British nationals, Afghan staff and others at risk have been evacuated from Kabul since Operation Pitting began - our commitment to the people of Afghanistan will endure.

https://twitter.com/laurie_bristow/status/1431583560847216650?s=20
  • Options

Andra Neil frothing about Scotland's 'absurd voting system' that has propelled the 'ECO-ZEALOT MARXISTS' to power.

Yes. The SNP won a mandate, whether you like them or not.

The Greens did not.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

By the way, there’s very good wifi at the Etihad, can’t the mancs afford smartphones or something?
    They can, they like to offer the full experience for The Tunnel Club supporters, including excellent wifi. I mean for £650 a ticket you'd expect decent wifi.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

They can, they like to offer the full experience for The Tunnel Club supporters, including excellent wifi. I mean for £650 a ticket you'd expect decent wifi.
    Can pay £800 for a Toon season ticket and you dont even get screens in the concourse, nevermind wifi
  • Options
    Don't follow football much but weren't Arsenal good once?
  • Options
    At least its not worse than yesterday:

The total confirmed as positive has risen by 5,858 to 413,515

https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1431606254082867209?s=20
  • Options
    Should I just say, the thing about Arsenal is that they always try and walk it in?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Can pay £800 for a Toon season ticket and you dont even get screens in the concourse, nevermind wifi
    This is £650 a match.
  • Options

Actually... as we're approaching the end of the airlift, losing an aircraft for a couple of weeks might not matter. Losing it last week, in the middle of the airlift, might have mattered much more.

Quite why it takes weeks to (presumably) clean an aircraft is another matter.
    Good exchange between you and cyclefree at the fag end of PT. Quite rare that those partaking in the debate have in their own life an intimate acquaintance with anyone who is transgender. Often seems a case of 'never have so few been argued about by so many'.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

This is £650 a match.
    You what
  • Options
    NEW Aircraft chartered by Pen Farthing hasn’t turned up at Kabul yet & MoD don’t even know if it is airborne.

UK defence source accuses Farthing’s agent of misleading them about plane’s location.

“We were expecting it ten minutes ago. This is getting ridiculous. Dangerous even”

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1431607844718186503?s=20
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,059
    Another problem with the evacuation apparently is that a number of troops leaving Kabul are now testing positive for Covid
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1431607344836890624
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited August 2021

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

This is £650 a match.
    You what
    It starts at £650 a match. I think my ticket for the CL QF in 2018 was north of a grand for the Tunnel Club Premier.

https://hospitality.mancity.com/hospitality/the-tunnel-club-premier/

Ooops I forgot about the Tunnel Club VVIP.

https://hospitality.mancity.com/hospitality/the-tunnel-club-vvip/
  • Options
    Honestly I love this site because I can say my weird references and people get them <3
  • Options
    As someone who cannot get a season ticket for LFC I have to go corporate hospitality most of the time.

It is a bloody expensive business.
  • Options

He's complaining that the Greens have a cabal of 7 seats?