Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let us talk about the man who wanted to castrate Michael Gove – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2021 in General
Let us talk about the man who wanted to castrate Michael Gove – politicalbetting.com

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has said supporters of Pen Farthing, a charity worker trying to evacuate animals from Afghanistan, have “taken up too much time” of the senior commanders dealing with the humanitarian crisishttps://t.co/fJIlI9ew5j

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325
    Premier
  • Options
    This thread says more about the author's prejudice than anything else. He has no evidence,none that Raab was incompetent.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,900

This thread says more about the author's prejudice than anything else. He has no evidence,none that Raab was incompetent.

Lazy might be more accurate, I suppose.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,094

There’s a distinction in unfair dismissal law between dismissals by reason of conduct and dismissals by reason of capability. In practice it’s often hard to correctly distinguish between the two.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

There’s a distinction in unfair dismissal law between dismissals by reason of conduct and dismissals by reason of capability. In practice it’s often hard to correctly distinguish between the two.
    Surely 'capability' is a reflection (at least) on the person who employed them, rather than the worker themselves?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,032

Premier

Inn?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,094

DougSeal said:

Surely 'capability' is a reflection (at least) on the person who employed them, rather than the worker themselves?
    It’s too broad to generalise like that. Capability also encompasses dismissals for medical reasons, people who can’t adapt to new ways of working etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Premier

Inn?
    Nooooooo.. vastly overpriced for what you get.. imho. Ok if you have a family room.. otherwise no way Josė. Be careful if you want to book P Inn ..book as early as possible, price for rooms varies almost by the second. You could in extreme circumstances be paying 29 quid for a room next door to someone who might have paid 150 for a similar room booked on the day...
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    This cats and dogs nonsense is not really an issue about cats and dogs but one of sentimentality and media emotion getting in the way of decisions - Happens a lot more in the social media world we live in and I hate it. Not just in government but in business and charities. Bring back logic , bring back saying "no" please!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285

I'm basing it on this piece by Tim Shipman last weekend.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dominic-raab-stayed-on-holiday-for-two-days-after-he-was-called-back-pxhb58rb6

As I noted last weekend.

As has been pointed out the list of things Dominic Raab has failed to see coming includes ‘1. The Taliban takeover of Afghanistan; 2. The importance of the Good Friday Agreement and its fragility post Brexit; 3. The importance of the UK’s proximity to Calais re imports/exports of goods‘, things he was specifically warned about.

If that doesn't scream incompetent then I don't know what does.
    I’d like to see the comments a thread header starting with “undeniably competent Dominic Raab…” attracts.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Reported that with the drawbridge now coming up, there are 150 British citizens and 500 US citizens still in the country, not to mention of course Afghans with the right of asylum who now cannot leave.

I would say the political fate of not just Biden but also Johnson will rest heavily on whose hands those poor people fall into. If it’s the Taliban, and a back room deal can be struck to get them out, fantastic. If it’s ISIS/AQ then it could get pretty grim.
  • Options
    For those wondering about the utility of rapid antigen tests versus PCR…

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e2.htm
    On May 25, 2021, the Marin County Department of Public Health (MCPH) was notified by an elementary school that on May 23, an unvaccinated teacher had reported receiving a positive test result for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The teacher reported becoming symptomatic on May 19, but continued to work for 2 days before receiving a test on May 21. On occasion during this time, the teacher read aloud unmasked to the class despite school requirements to mask while indoors. Beginning May 23, additional cases of COVID-19 were reported among other staff members, students, parents, and siblings connected to the school. To characterize the outbreak, on May 26, MCPH initiated case investigation and contact tracing that included whole genome sequencing (WGS) of available specimens. A total of 27 cases were identified, including that of the teacher. During May 23–26, among the teacher’s 24 students, 22 students, all ineligible for vaccination because of age, received testing for SARS-CoV-2; 12 received positive test results. The attack rate in the two rows seated closest to the teacher’s desk was 80% (eight of 10) and was 28% (four of 14) in the three back rows…
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Point of fact, Theon wasn't just castrated..
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Theon Greyjoy wasn't castrated, he was penectomised.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

Premier

Inn?
    Nooooooo.. vastly overpriced for what you get.. imho. Ok if you have a family room.. otherwise no way Josė. Be careful if you want to book P Inn ..book as early as possible, price for rooms varies almost by the second. You could in extreme circumstances be paying 29 quid for a room next door to someone who might have paid 150 for a similar room booked on the day...
    The one in Kensington is good if you want to meet air crew
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm basing it on this piece by Tim Shipman last weekend.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dominic-raab-stayed-on-holiday-for-two-days-after-he-was-called-back-pxhb58rb6

As I noted last weekend.

As has been pointed out the list of things Dominic Raab has failed to see coming includes ‘1. The Taliban takeover of Afghanistan; 2. The importance of the Good Friday Agreement and its fragility post Brexit; 3. The importance of the UK’s proximity to Calais re imports/exports of goods‘, things he was specifically warned about.

If that doesn't scream incompetent then I don't know what does.
    I’d like to see the comments a thread header starting with “undeniably competent Dominic Raab…” attracts.
    As many as if I did a thread header starting with 'The famously faithful Boris Johnson'?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm going off the books.

The show was much more graphic.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,565

What, no evidence whatsoever? TSE might be wrong, but none?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    Pulpstar said:

Perhaps he ought to be, given the stuff he posts here?

Oh, sorry, ...Theon
  • Options
    TSE, my hero, predicts in a header a prediction I made a few days ago. My life is complete, even if I'm completely wrong.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm going off the books.

Ugh that scene where Ramsay bites into the big juicy sausage with the hapless Theon in the background
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm going off the books.

Ugh that scene where Ramsay bites into the big juicy sausage with the hapless Theon in the background
    There's an OK ww2 film called Hurricane on netflix with Iwan Rheon (= Ramsay) as a Polish pilot.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fact…. or fiction ?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,219
    edited August 2021

This cats and dogs nonsense is not really an issue about cats and dogs but one of sentimentality and media emotion getting in the way of decisions - Happens a lot more in the social media world we live in and I hate it. Not just in government but in business and charities. Bring back logic , bring back saying "no" please!

Ah, but is it the "no dogs" side guilty of sentimentality and emotion too, with false binary choices like asking how many humans should be left behind, as if all the flights were full and each cat would occupy a first class seat? I suspect the actual problem is it would divert civil servants in London from concentrating on getting people out rather than flight capacity in Afghanistan.

ETA this might be wrong but is consistent with what the Defence Secretary has said. Perhaps an extra team might be commissioned to sort out the animals.
  • Options

Raab sits atop the diplomatic corps and foreign intelligence. Who do you think should carry the can for a) failing to get the evacuation going on good time like the French did, b) leaving a stack of sensitive documents at the embassy
  • Options
    This thread has taken an unsavoury turn already.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,519
    kjh said:

TSE, my hero, predicts in a header a prediction I made a few days ago. My life is complete, even if I'm completely wrong.

Same here. TSE, the villain, is clearly plagiarising our posts. The excellent header is just a longer-winded version of something I posted on Wednesday:

I wonder if Ben Wallace may resign once the immediate Afghan crisis is over? Reading between the lines, he seems fairly pissed off with Raab/FCO and with Boris (and/or Carrie), and he strikes me as if he may have a sense of honour/principle. Next Cabinet Minister out?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,367
    Mornin' all.

Not really convinced by the Header.

Is there not a reshuffle due in a few months' time, and Wallace seems to be having a decent run? Why would he go now or soon?
  • Options

Apologies. I won’t mention Raab again.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Raab sits atop the diplomatic corps and foreign intelligence. Who do you think should carry the can for a) failing to get the evacuation going on good time like the French did, b) leaving a stack of sensitive documents at the embassy
    To me was the speech where he seemed to not have a clue about Dover/Calais. I mean it is not difficult to spot the sea is narrow here and oh there is a tunnel.

In addition he clearly didn't understand JIT. He seemed to think it was about perishable goods.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

A thread with "castrate" in the headline? You surprise me.

Would never have happened with a Herdson Saturday offering.....
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Overnight Australia has had more than 1,100 Covid cases with more than 1,000 of those in NSW.

NZ had 81 up from their previous high of 62 in this wave. The tone has changed there in the last couple of days from "we've got this" to a "tough week ahead". Personally I think they have lost control of it. Too many people to accurately track with Delta.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

kjh said:

Same here. TSE, the villain, is clearly plagiarising our posts. The excellent header is just a longer-winded version of something I posted on Wednesday:

I wonder if Ben Wallace may resign once the immediate Afghan crisis is over? Reading between the lines, he seems fairly pissed off with Raab/FCO and with Boris (and/or Carrie), and he strikes me as if he may have a sense of honour/principle. Next Cabinet Minister out?
    I said the following on 20 August:

"On topic I wonder if Ben Wallace could be the next to go. Not because he will be fired, but resigns. He is doing a stirring effort in defending the Govt position, but he has also appeared very unhappy about what happened. I wonder if he is the sort who although he might want to resign is also someone who doesn't do so when there is a problem that needs sorting first. He seems genuinely upset by what has happened"

Just saying.... :smile:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,317
    Opinions are divided about Wallace but he certainly made his mark on public awareness, somewhat at the expense of the PM and his wife. Past experience in this administration doesn't suggest that it will be rewarded with a promotion, and I suspect he's aware of that and is playing a longer game.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Evidence suggests that Delta infection much more likely (around 2x) than previous variants to lead to hospitalisation of unvaccinated individuals:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00475-8/fulltext

(The effect relating to vaccinated isn’t clear from the data - since there are far fewer hospitalisations.)
  • Options

Opinions are divided about Wallace but he certainly made his mark on public awareness, somewhat at the expense of the PM and his wife. Past experience in this administration doesn't suggest that it will be rewarded with a promotion, and I suspect he's aware of that and is playing a longer game.

A defence minister who understands strategy would be novel.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,834
    He says “all the emails” like it’s irritating spam. The flippancy and joviality with which he refers to the plight of abandoned, desperate UK citizens is contemptible. These are human beings Prime Minister, in case you’ve forgotten.
    https://twitter.com/heidiallen75/status/1431522683225841664
  • Options
    This thread about vaccines from November last year puts SAGE to shame…
    https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1328355643300917249
    So I am a bit hesitant to jump on board with the >90% efficacy results because the time scale of the phase 3 studies thus far match the time scale of the temporary plasmablast duration and the antibodies they produced...

… even if it becomes 50% to stop total symptomatic disease, it could remain 90% to stop severe disease. This, like testing and everything else is simply NOT a binary issue and also is NOT a simple issue meant for describing over Twitter....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,488

I would have thought that he has risen as far as he can. He isn't really a candidate for any of the top 4 jobs, so resigning would be the end of his political career. Sacked maybe, but not resigning IMO.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

He says “all the emails” like it’s irritating spam. The flippancy and joviality with which he refers to the plight of abandoned, desperate UK citizens is contemptible. These are human beings Prime Minister, in case you’ve forgotten.
    https://twitter.com/heidiallen75/status/1431522683225841664

Jesus

Compare Libya 2017 ("Once they've cleared up the dead bodies") and NZR. Dead and distressed darkies are intrinsically comic.
  • Options
    I have to laugh at the post expressing upset at the suggestion that Raab might be a thickie. He's not only politically stupid, he appears to be be arrogant in his actual stupidity. Which is why his place in cabinet was never under threat from beachgate.

Seriously though, who wants to make a stand defending *that*.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

He isn't really a candidate for any of the top 4 jobs, so resigning would be the end of his political career. Sacked maybe, but not resigning IMO.

BoZo should never have been a candidate.

Resigning worked for him, and resigning from this shitshow will be a badge of honour in the future

• Options
    Foxy said:

I would have thought that he has risen as far as he can. He isn't really a candidate for any of the top 4 jobs, so resigning would be the end of his political career. Sacked maybe, but not resigning IMO.
    Boris doesn't sack and he has reason to resign, but based on my track record that probably means you are correct.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,885
    @OldKingCole latest is my gf went to the doctors and he looked down her throat/ears and said she has an infection and gave her anti biotics. But she’s been coughing all night and has just gone for a PCR test. Four negative LFTs though.

Surely the doctor would have said if she’s likely to have Covid, no?
  • Options
    It would appear than Pen Farthing made it out with his pets, but not any of the Afghan staff

Do we really like dogs more than brown people?
  • Options

No need to go all salty.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It would appear than Pen Farthing made it out with his pets, but not any of the Afghan staff

Is the colour of the people any more relevant than the colour of the dogs?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Wallace might not be a candidate for one of the four great offices in normal times but when you look at the incumbents, is it that far-fetched? More importantly, when *he* looks at the incumbents. Rishi heads the pack but he only got the job in the first place because The Saj has a spine and/or Boris was tricked by Dominic Cummings.

Was it the great American lawyer, F Lee Bailey who said that as a child he was told that anyone could become President, and now he was starting to believe it?

But in any case, resigning would not help his cause, so I expect he will not do so.
  • Options
    isam said:

@OldKingCole latest is my gf went to the doctors and he looked down her throat/ears and said she has an infection and gave her anti biotics. But she’s been coughing all night and has just gone for a PCR test. Four negative LFTs though.

There are quite a few other respiratory viruses around, as immunity had dropped.
  • Options
    On the cats'n'dogs, Wallace took the only position possible for any non-deranged politician - people before pooches.

I wonder how Pen wotsit's reputation will survive.

All that rhetoric about 'plane will be filled with people where for places our staff don't take', getting into bed with Dominic Dyer, all that trolling from supporters and the rest.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Scott_xP said:

As I said earlier, that is a false dichotomy. It was never that one would take the place of the other, if you think about who sits where on planes.

Leaving the Afghani staff to the Taliban's mercies is, or ought to be, a real scandal. Don't confound it with cats and dogs.
  • Options
    On supermarkets, yesterday I obtained fresh Razor Clams from my closest big Morrisons in Mansfield. They also seem to have a more varied selection of fish than seen previously when I have been there.

Never seen before, and very welcome.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Yup.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

As I said earlier, that is a false dichotomy. It was never that one would take the place of the other, if you think about who sits where on planes.
    It really isn't. Anywhere you can fit a large dog you can fit a human. There's that plus the waste of time, money and resources, and the message we are sending to our betrayed allies.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,355
    Foxy said:

isam said:

There are quite a few other respiratory viruses around, as immunity had dropped.
    @isam - I understand why you must be worried, but the balance of probabilities here is very much with it being one of the many non-covid illnesses which are still out there.
    My wife had tow or three throat infections during her pregnancies. I don't know if one of the side effects of pregnancy is an increased susceptibility to that sort of thing, but it doesn't sound implausible.
    Still not nice for her (or you) but hopefully the antibiotics will sort her out.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Leaving the Afghani staff to the Taliban's mercies is, or ought to be, a real scandal. Don't confound it with cats and dogs.
    We're his Afghan staff and their families eligible for evacuation?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Naah, fuck 'em. It's enough of an honour to be permitted to tend to the white man's pets, you can't expect asylum on top of that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

That would be a political decision.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Snap.
  • Options
    MattW said:

On supermarkets, yesterday I obtained fresh Razor Clams from my closest big Morrisons in Mansfield. They also seem to have a more varied selection of fish than seen previously when I have been there.

There appears to a shortage of hot cross buns at Waitrose, none of my favourite orange flavoured ones nor the Apple flavoured ones.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,108
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The weight of the evidence did suggest the man is a total arsehole but it did cross my mind that this whole saga may have been a contrivance by Farthing to get his staff out.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not sure that it would be. They presumably would need visas from the FCO consular staff and while those are politically instructed, the politicians are not picking and choosing.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

You already know the answer to that question...
  • Options

MattW said:

There appears to a shortage of hot cross buns at Waitrose, none of my favourite orange flavoured ones nor the Apple flavoured ones.

And we thought the shaved parmesan was bad. Blimey.
  • Options

MattW said:

Hot cross buns used to be a seasonal treat. Come to think of it, I'm not sure Creme Eggs were year-round either. Jumpers for goalposts...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The weight of the evidence did suggest the man is a total arsehole but it did cross my mind that this whole saga may have been a contrivance by Farthing to get his staff out.
    No, he plainly is devoted to his animals, no matter how bonkers that seems.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,868
    moonshine said:

Reported that with the drawbridge now coming up, there are 150 British citizens and 500 US citizens still in the country, not to mention of course Afghans with the right of asylum who now cannot leave.

I would say the political fate of not just Biden but also Johnson will rest heavily on whose hands those poor people fall into. If it’s the Taliban, and a back room deal can be struck to get them out, fantastic. If it’s ISIS/AQ then it could get pretty grim.

A question is how many of those people wanted to leave - there will be some who would not for whatever reason.

I'd still like to know what the limiting factor(s) in getting people out of Kabul was. Was it airlift capacity? Airfield capacity? Documentation/bureaucracy?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/whoviankim/status/1431379185377947649
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

No, he plainly is devoted to his animals, no matter how bonkers that seems.
    Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Otherwise total tosser.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Foxy said:

Boris doesn't sack and he has reason to resign, but based on my track record that probably means you are correct.
    Boris has sacked ministers, but only for the crime of contradicting / showing up the boss. For example, Julian Smith.

On that basis, Wallace is toast.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Last year as lockdown removed the restaurants and hotels sector we saw some amazing food being offered for a song through supermarkets and wholesalers. The back end of this year threatens the same - not because a lack of demand, but because of a lack of capacity.

The workforce crunch (500k workers!!!) means that stacks of piggy wiggy woos and other foodstock animals can't go for the chop. Which means that the usual Christmas ranges can't be produced, which will lead to a glut of non-seasonal product later in the autumn as Mr Pig and Mr Turkey has to get turned into *something* so go for the lowest effort option instead of luxury pings in blankets or that delicious Iceland 7 Bird Roast.

You may not be able to get your planned nice meats this year. But you'll be able to get piles of bangers for a song. Buy a chest freezer...
  • Options

MattW said:

I've not noticed any shortages in either Waitrose on the IoW. This though is perhaps more consequential:

GPs ordered to halt all non-urgent blood tests across England until September

Incredible that you can read a whole article about this potentially life-threatening situation without a single mention of the word Brexit
    https://t.co/O9bgwU1pFo

https://twitter.com/GreenPartyMolly/status/1431213618004176900?s=19
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Good morning Dominic
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137

MattW said:

Don't Morrisons have their own owned uk suppliers for things like fish? I seem to recall old Sir Ken Morrison was keen on controlling the supply chain.

All there to be asset stripped no doubt by the new owners.
  • Options
    MattW said:

On the cats'n'dogs, Wallace took the only position possible for any non-deranged politician - people before pooches.

I wonder how Pen wotsit's reputation will survive.

All that rhetoric about 'plane will be filled with people where for places our staff don't take', getting into bed with Dominic Dyer, all that trolling from supporters and the rest.

Pen will be fine. He's a Military Hero, and he's saving pets. In the court of British public opinion, that makes him doubly immune.

(For avoidance of doubt, this is a bad thing.)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,999
    edited August 2021
    Scott_xP said:

In the US they’re trying to encourage more women to become truck drivers because of a shortage.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-20/women-are-entering-a-trucking-industry-that-s-not-built-for-them
  • Options
    Another good day at the Paralympics leaves Britain second in the medals table, whether scored by quality or quantity of medals.
    https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/paralympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medal-standings.htm
  • Options
    YoungTurkYoungTurk Posts: 158
    edited August 2021
    FPT
    rcs1000 said:

YoungTurk said:

Off-topic: what is it supposed to mean when the government say that everyone aged 18+ has been offered vaccination?

What do they mean by "everyone" and "offered"?
    Does "everyone" mean all residents, everyone who has an NHS number, everyone who is registered with a GP, or something else?
    Does "offered" mean contacted personally, addressed impersonally in a publicity campaign, or one of these if a person is in one part of the population and the other if they're not?

I'm trying to get a handle on the demographics of the unvaccinated. Many (anecdotally) seem prone to believe that groups on which they're not especially keen are over-represented among the unvaccinated. Sometimes such beliefs may be accurate, but sometimes they derive in large part from prejudice.

How does being unvaccinated vary with level of formal education?

I plugged a few areas into the BBC website and came up with the following figures for the double-vaccinated: Western Isles 90%, South Norfolk 83%, North Norfolk 83%, Cardiff 81%, Highland 81%, Basingstoke 80%, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly 79%, County Durham 77%, Thanet 77%, Belfast 77%, Derry City and Strabane 77%, Tunbridge Wells 76%, Windsor and Maidenhead 76%, Edinburgh 72%, Glasgow 72%, Leeds 66%, Reading 61%, Southampton 61%, Cambridge 54%, Lambeth 54%, Oxford 53%, Hackney and the City of London 52%, Kensington and Chelsea 50%.

At Cambridge, you are required to be registered with a local GP. Cambridge GPs therefore live high on the hog, as students aren't there half the year. And don't forget, the academic year finished there three months ago.

Their low percentage is therefore a consequence of students not being in Cambridge and probably getting jabbed at mummy's place.
    Can that explain the size of the difference? Cambridge is at 54% double-vaccinated, against a national figure of 78%.

I'm not even sure that Anglia Ruskin which has more undergraduates than Cambridge University, albeit not all studying on the Cambridge campus, has a local GP registration rule.

Target indicator economics suggests that

1. officials in areas where vaccinations take place will rush to add them to the tally, but

2. officials in Cambridge - where presumably GPs' offices are informed when patients get vaccinated elsewhere - won't hesitate much in removing elsewhere-jabbed patients from their denominators.

That said, 2. would be counteracted by the expectation of funds, not necessarily directly SARSCoV2-themed, for the size of those denominators.

Canterbury is probably more studenty than Cambridge and is at 71%.
    Then there's Kensington and Chelsea at 50%.

Some are blaming the unvaccinated for a lot, so it would be interesting to know more about who they are.
  • Options
    Brexit is certainly partly responsible for shortages, but it's far from the whole story

https://capx.co/will-supply-shortages-choke-the-economic-recovery/
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,816
    On Topic

Should have been Gove's father that was castrated.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Scott_xP said:

In the US they’re trying to encourage more women to become truck drivers because of a shortage.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-20/women-are-entering-a-trucking-industry-that-s-not-built-for-them
    No reason why not. Power steering changed the game for women bus drivers. Anti-social hours and nights away from home are perhaps the big issues now that cabs are nice places.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

It’s too broad to generalise like that. Capability also encompasses dismissals for medical reasons, people who can’t adapt to new ways of working etc.
    Fair point. Circumstances alter cases etc.
  • Options

Another good day at the Paralympics leaves Britain second in the medals table, whether scored by quality or quantity of medals.
    https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/paralympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medal-standings.htm

One of my best sporting memories was being in a beer garden right outside the swimming arena with a huge screen while Ellie Simmonds won her gold medal in 2012. The noise from the swimming arena and in the beer garden was incredible. Everyone went berserk as she lost ground on every turn and then engaged those propeller arms.

But, somehow, this has really not grabbed me this time. Its too far away, the timing is difficult, the coverage is limited and the lack of crowds really hurts. Strangely it seems to hurt even more when the participants are not household names. I have barely watched half an hour of the Paralympics so far. I regret that but it is what it is.
  • Options

On Topic

Wouldn't have helped. Gove was adopted.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,868

Scott_xP said:

In US they’re trying to encourage more women to become truck drivers because of a shortage.

That's a great article, and it's good to see more women being encouraged to take up trucking. There's no real reason they cannot do it, so I'd expect a higher percentage of women to be doing it.

One part does amuse me, though: "Missing “birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, being out here by yourself on Christmas, being out here by yourself on Mother’s Day—these are the things a lot of people aren’t prepared for,” says Ingrid Brown, the owner-operator of North Carolina-based trucking company Rollin’ B LLC."

Many people seem to forget that many men don't like having to miss birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc, etc. A friend of mine is often travelling on business, for months at a time. His wife (once a very good engineer) loves the housewife life, and good for her. But he hates the fact he misses so much of his kids' childhood. But someone needs to earn the money.

It's probably impossible for someone in long-distance trucking, especially in a country like America, to live a 'normal' home life. And there are a surprisingly large number of jobs like that, from shift work to the military. If you want to do those jobs, there are consequences.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,972
    edited August 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

It really isn't. Anywhere you can fit a large dog you can fit a human. There's that plus the waste of time, money and resources, and the message we are sending to our betrayed allies.
    You can't legally load (human) passengers into the cargo hold of a commercial aircraft and the operator would lose their AOC in whichever jurisdiction it is held. It would also breach the terms of the aircraft's lease and insurance.

No commercial operator is going to take that risk for a load of Aghan scrandies.

PF is an ex-42 bootie and likes animals more than people so he's a top bloke.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One of my best sporting memories was being in a beer garden right outside the swimming arena with a huge screen while Ellie Simmonds won her gold medal in 2012. The noise from the swimming arena and in the beer garden was incredible. Everyone went berserk as she lost ground on every turn and then engaged those propeller arms.

But, somehow, this has really not grabbed me this time. Its too far away, the timing is difficult, the coverage is limited and the lack of crowds really hurts. Strangely it seems to hurt even more when the participants are not household names. I have barely watched half an hour of the Paralympics so far. I regret that but it is what it is.
    You may be right. In London 2012, the Paralympics, perhaps for the first time, mattered. It became a first class citizen rather than an afterthought to the "real" games. This year, I've been staying up to watch the Paralympics but then not actually watching, just dipping in and out.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The way the Carrie image is being run! I used to think Denis Thatcher had skilled management. No "I really don't care" jacket for you then, eh, Carrie? Squillions of pounds in contracts and hundreds of British service lives lost in a totally unwinnable 20-year war that makes the Soviet effort look highly competent, and millions of refugees as a result of western invasions, but give it a few days of cuddly animal stories.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

@isam - I understand why you must be worried, but the balance of probabilities here is very much with it being one of the many non-covid illnesses which are still out there.
    My wife had tow or three throat infections during her pregnancies. I don't know if one of the side effects of pregnancy is an increased susceptibility to that sort of thing, but it doesn't sound implausible.
    Still not nice for her (or you) but hopefully the antibiotics will sort her out.
    Yes, agree with Mr C's last sentence, and indeed hope that all goes well. Women get so much, and often contrary, information during pregnancy today. Didn't you say she's got a session with the midwife on Tuesday? Midwives are usually very good at sorting out these sorts of worries.
    Only, 5-6 weeks to go now, and, writing as a father of three and grandfather of seven, a new set of worries will take over!
  • Options

On Topic

Still had a biological father, though!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    King Cole, unless Darth Plagueis was involved.

Good morning, everyone.
  • Options

DavidL said:

You may be right. In London 2012, the Paralympics, perhaps for the first time, mattered. It became a first class citizen rather than an afterthought to the "real" games. This year, I've been staying up to watch the Paralympics but then not actually watching, just dipping in and out.
    One of the many things that made the 2012 Olympics the best ever was the fact that even the early morning heats took place before packed stadiums with a buzzing atmosphere. It gave the participants an incredible lift and the same applied to the Paralympics after it. We are, as a nation, crazy for live sport. Other nations may have higher participation rates but I doubt anyone else matches the enthusiasm for attending.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,622
    YoungTurk said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

YoungTurk said:

Off-topic: what is it supposed to mean when the government say that everyone aged 18+ has been offered vaccination?

What do they mean by "everyone" and "offered"?
    Does "everyone" mean all residents, everyone who has an NHS number, everyone who is registered with a GP, or something else?
    Does "offered" mean contacted personally, addressed impersonally in a publicity campaign, or one of these if a person is in one part of the population and the other if they're not?

I'm trying to get a handle on the demographics of the unvaccinated. Many (anecdotally) seem prone to believe that groups on which they're not especially keen are over-represented among the unvaccinated. Sometimes such beliefs may be accurate, but sometimes they derive in large part from prejudice.

How does being unvaccinated vary with level of formal education?

I plugged a few areas into the BBC website and came up with the following figures for the double-vaccinated: Western Isles 90%, South Norfolk 83%, North Norfolk 83%, Cardiff 81%, Highland 81%, Basingstoke 80%, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly 79%, County Durham 77%, Thanet 77%, Belfast 77%, Derry City and Strabane 77%, Tunbridge Wells 76%, Windsor and Maidenhead 76%, Edinburgh 72%, Glasgow 72%, Leeds 66%, Reading 61%, Southampton 61%, Cambridge 54%, Lambeth 54%, Oxford 53%, Hackney and the City of London 52%, Kensington and Chelsea 50%.

At Cambridge, you are required to be registered with a local GP. Cambridge GPs therefore live high on the hog, as students aren't there half the year. And don't forget, the academic year finished there three months ago.

Their low percentage is therefore a consequence of students not being in Cambridge and probably getting jabbed at mummy's place.
    Can that explain the size of the difference? Cambridge is at 54% double-vaccinated, against a national figure of 78%.

I'm not even sure that Anglia Ruskin which has more undergraduates than Cambridge University, albeit not all studying on the Cambridge campus, has a local GP registration rule.

Target indicator economics suggests that

1. officials in areas where vaccinations take place will rush to add them to the tally, but

2. officials in Cambridge - where presumably GPs' offices are informed when patients get vaccinated elsewhere - won't hesitate much in removing elsewhere-jabbed patients from their denominators.

That said, 2. would be counteracted by the expectation of funds, not necessarily directly SARSCoV2-themed, for the size of those denominators.

Canterbury is probably more studenty than Cambridge and is at 71%.
    Then there's Kensington and Chelsea at 50%.

Some are blaming the unvaccinated for a lot, so it would be interesting to know more about who they are.
    K&C especially, and Cambridge as well, must be very high on the list of areas where some residents own multiple homes, not just students living in a mix of places. You are right to ask for more context, I don't think the numbers are particularly reliable.
  • Options

MattW said:

Don't Morrisons have their own owned uk suppliers for things like fish? I seem to recall old Sir Ken Morrison was keen on controlling the supply chain.

They do - and they manufacturer most of their baked goods like Hot Cross Buns and Donuts (hence the low price). Had they been bought by one of the predatory bids then undoubtedly this would all have been flogged off. Their new owners? Doubt it - they're investing for the long haul and the vertical supply chain is what makes Mozzas unique.
  • Options

MattW said:

They do - and they manufacturer most of their baked goods like Hot Cross Buns and Donuts (hence the low price). Had they been bought by one of the predatory bids then undoubtedly this would all have been flogged off. Their new owners? Doubt it - they're investing for the long haul and the vertical supply chain is what makes Mozzas unique.
    I've lost track then. Who bought them in the end?
  • Options

MattW said:

I thought it was their undervalued property assets that the vulture capitalists were after.

I quite like Morrisons. Their fruit and veg are good.
  • Options

On Topic

Still had a biological father, though!
    Has he though? One wonders.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,519
    I know Scott linked to this upthread, but it's well worth a watch - only 44 seconds of Boris and Dom at their finest. It's a brilliant pastiche of The Thick of It. The highlight is when Boris says 'Amazing!' in reference to the fact that people trying to get out of Afghanistan are still hanging around even after the terrorist attack. Government as satire.

https://twitter.com/Zero_4/status/1431372211068227590
  • Options
    Dogs must have contributed an awful lot to helping many people keep their spirits up, and their sanity, these past 17 months.

The vast majority of even feral dogs are commensal with humans. In Moscow some take the tube from where they live, beg, and then catch the tube back home again later in the day.