Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Brexit increasingly dominates views of Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252

I'm sure they'll bring an alternative perspective:

Taliban seat on UN Commission on the Status of Women is 'likely,' says former U.S. envoy to UN.

https://twitter.com/UNWatch/status/1430325480754982913?s=20

Says former U.S. envoy to UN, John Bolton.

Thankfully he has no axe to grind over this issue.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,294
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited August 2021
    DougSeal said:

FFS....

There is no need to restart the UK's vaccine programme, government adviser Adam Finn says

He is advocating for only a very small number of people to get a third dose.

Javid is going to have to overrule the JCVI.

“Adam Hugh Roderick Finn is professor of paediatrics at the University of Bristol and head of the Bristol Vaccine Centre. He has been chairman of the WHO European Technical Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization since 2011 and is an ex-officio member of the WHO Strategic Advisory Group of Experts.” - Wikipedia

I mean, yeah, an amateur. What would he know? Has he even done some internet research?
    He is being driven by his ideological position that the world needs to be vaccinated now, rather than in his opinion "wasting" doses on the UK. He isn't hiding this, he has made this clear.

That isn't his remit.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,215
    Nirvana have been sued by the baby off the Nevermind album cover.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58327844
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Is there really a discussion about airlifting animals out of Afghan?

Amazing.

Why do those animals have a better or worse claim to being rehoused in the UK vs millions upon millions of animals across the world who have crappy lives, then often are cut up with not much consideration and eaten?

Oh but we as Britain told the animals that we would look after them.

Just euthanase them and move on.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,695

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Hmm, I failed my 11+. The school appealed because I was clearly the top in my entire year group. It wasn't (with all due modesty) particularly close. The appeal was refused on the basis that I had failed so badly the appeal could not be allowed.

I went to private school and then a comprehensive that had recently been a grammar school instead. I got 6 highers in one year and left school at 16 to go to do an Honours law degree. Since then I have had a reasonably successful career in the law. This is my most recent work: https://news.stv.tv/west-central/serial-rapist-faces-life-sentence-after-attacking-three-women

It would take a bit of persuading given my personal history to explain why grammar schools and the 11+ was or is a good idea.

For me who went to a comprehensive the good idea would have been I would have gone to a school where those who felt academic achievement was a dirty thing wouldn't have been able to make my school life a misery because I tried. I offer an example my school bag got doused in lighter fuel and set light too burning all my notes for the year.....this was in class...the teacher just looked up and sighed and went put it out and dont be silly. This was mid 80's
    I totally get that. My wife went to such a school. In one class she walked out to find somewhere else to study because kids were fighting on the desks and the teacher was unable to do anything about it. She got 4 modern studies classes in her entire school year. The rest was just crowd control from teachers who knew nothing about the subject. To make University from such a school at a time when only about 10% of the population went to University was an astonishing achievement, better than anything I have ever done. But then, she is a remarkable woman.
    I left school with basically no qualifactaitons then had to spend 3 years at 6 form as the first year was gaining the o levels I would have got
    I know it's a typo, and I know we all do it but qualifactations is a great word!
    Quackifications?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,778
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

On staff shortages, the issue isn't whether these are caused by Brexit. It is that the government can choose to make visas available for EU citizens to take these jobs. They choose not to do so.

The general Brexiteer view is to simultaneously deny shortages exist and say they are a good thing because they drive up wages. None of this stacks up.

The Brexiter plan is to rejoice that everyone will be paid more for everything with apparently zero consequences for anything.

More money for all! Huzzah!
    I can see remaining truck drivers being winners from these, at least partially artificially engendered, shortages. Stuff needs to be moved. The rest of the economy, not so much. Business activity will move abroad and anything we need, and can afford, will be imported. Ultimately those shortages will be resolved, mostly not by higher wages.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited August 2021
    DougSeal said:

FFS....

There is no need to restart the UK's vaccine programme, government adviser Adam Finn says

“Adam Hugh Roderick Finn is professor of paediatrics at the University of Bristol and head of the Bristol Vaccine Centre. He has been chairman of the WHO European Technical Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization since 2011 and is an ex-officio member of the WHO Strategic Advisory Group of Experts.” - Wikipedia

I mean, yeah, an amateur. What would he know? Has he even done some internet research?
    I think those appointments explain his position on this, he's part of the whole WHO machinery that looks out for the whole world. That's in direct conflict with his JCVI role that has a remit of solely the UK.
    He needs to choose to either be part of the WHO bodies or the JCVI.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

On Brexit as the damp smell in English politics - can be endured but not ignored; cost of fixing it gets higher the longer you postpone thinking about it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/24/brexit-failure-remainers-shelves-empty-eu

A lot of empty shelves in Tesco yesterday. When I asked a member of staff why, she blamed the shortage of drivers. Which is caused by Brexit.

Perth High Street is like something out of the apocalypse. Quite unnerving for someone familiar with the bustling, young, joyful affluence of Scandinavian cities. I’ve witnessed that High Street declining for three decades, but yesterday was a step-change. It must be soul-destroying for the few staff left manning those deserted retail spaces. Costa coffee looked like something out of a war zone.
    I was in Perth last weekend and it was bustling. Like Dundee the loss of Debenhams is a major blow, especially after the loss of McEwans a few years ago now, but there is plenty of money in Perth and the shops seem to be doing fine. Dundee has much more of a problem with the Overgate centre.
    This is the issue with anecdotes. When it comes to the 'health' of an area wrt footfall, much depends on when you go - or for that matter, where you go.

I've often got to know new places by walking through them. However, I freely admit that I've got the wrong impression of them by taking the 'wrong' streets through them. returning later, going down another street gives a vastly different impression.

As for High Streets: their 'health' in terms of shops has been generally decreasing for a decade or more. As a country, we need to reevaluate the purpose of our town centres, and consider changing more retail into livable residential.
    plans have been submitted to redevelop the old Debenhams in the centre of Leeds with student residential on all the upper floors. better than empty retail but there has been so much new student accommodation built here with more in the pipeline.
    My granddaughter takes up hers next week in Leeds complete with en suite bedroom
    very nice. All this new student accommodation i'm sure must free up other housing stock for non-students so that is a positive.
    Grandson Two was quite impressed with the student accommodation he's been allocated in Manchester.
    As was his mother.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD Don't want to fall out with you HYUFD because I like you a lot and without getting back into the Comprehensive/Grammar argument I would just like to know whether you understood @rcs1000 hypothetical example he gave last night to demonstrate the fallacy of the stats you were using?

If so do you think there was a flaw in Roberts maths and if so where?

Anyone can produce a hypothetical example to prove their point, I just gave actual facts of the dominance by the privately educated of the top jobs now.

I prefer to deal in actual facts not hypothetical ones
    No they can't. What Robert showed was 100% rigorous maths.

Oh my god you don't get it do you? The hypothetical example was to show that you were using a stat incorrectly by showing (in an example) that the stat you were using, although accurate didn't show what you thought it showed.

He showed in an example that mathematically a school in one area could appear to be significantly more successful than schools in another area, whereas the outcome was actually better for the children in the other area.

I'll have a go:

2 identical areas with identical kids. In one there are 4 comprehensives, in the other a Grammar and 3 Secondaries.

The results are each Comp gets 2 people to Oxbridge, the Grammar 4 people and the Secondaries 0.

So applying your stats to these results the Grammar school is twice as good as the Comps. Agree?

But in fact the other area actually got twice as many kids to Oxbridge than the Grammar school area.

You see your method gives the wrong result even though the stat is correct.

Now you may be right and I might be wrong and Grammar schools might be better, but your stat definitely doesn't show that so you shouldn't be using it.
    Oh come now, HYUFD doesn't do population definitions. People who voted in X, the actual electorate at the time, the actual human population, those born in X but not always resident now - all merge into one according to his debating needs.

Reminds me of my argument with him over his use of a stat from a voodoo poll showiung that a high percentage of Scottish large fishing boat captains supported brexit or something and concluding that it applied to the entire Scottish fishing industry. That was a bit like seeing an ad saying that 9 out of 10 cats liked Moggyfood Tuna Flavour and concluding that 90% of the Class Mammalia ate tuna catfood preferentially.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

FFS....

I think those appointments explain his position on this, he's part of the whole WHO machinery that looks out for the whole world. That's in direct conflict with his JCVI role that has a remit of solely the UK.
    He needs to choose to either be part of the WHO bodies or the JCVI.
    Unless he has been specifically nominated by UKG? (Don't know if he has, but it is possible.)
  • Options
    edited August 2021

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

On Brexit as the damp smell in English politics - can be endured but not ignored; cost of fixing it gets higher the longer you postpone thinking about it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/24/brexit-failure-remainers-shelves-empty-eu

A lot of empty shelves in Tesco yesterday. When I asked a member of staff why, she blamed the shortage of drivers. Which is caused by Brexit.

Perth High Street is like something out of the apocalypse. Quite unnerving for someone familiar with the bustling, young, joyful affluence of Scandinavian cities. I’ve witnessed that High Street declining for three decades, but yesterday was a step-change. It must be soul-destroying for the few staff left manning those deserted retail spaces. Costa coffee looked like something out of a war zone.
    I was in Perth last weekend and it was bustling. Like Dundee the loss of Debenhams is a major blow, especially after the loss of McEwans a few years ago now, but there is plenty of money in Perth and the shops seem to be doing fine. Dundee has much more of a problem with the Overgate centre.
    This is the issue with anecdotes. When it comes to the 'health' of an area wrt footfall, much depends on when you go - or for that matter, where you go.

I've often got to know new places by walking through them. However, I freely admit that I've got the wrong impression of them by taking the 'wrong' streets through them. returning later, going down another street gives a vastly different impression.

As for High Streets: their 'health' in terms of shops has been generally decreasing for a decade or more. As a country, we need to reevaluate the purpose of our town centres, and consider changing more retail into livable residential.
    plans have been submitted to redevelop the old Debenhams in the centre of Leeds with student residential on all the upper floors. better than empty retail but there has been so much new student accommodation built here with more in the pipeline.
    My granddaughter takes up hers next week in Leeds complete with en suite bedroom
    very nice. All this new student accommodation i'm sure must free up other housing stock for non-students so that is a positive.
    Grandson Two was quite impressed with the student accommodation he's been allocated in Manchester.
    As was his mother.
    Student accommodation is the biggest untalked about rip off. All the focus has been on the increase in uni course fees, but student accommodation has risen many many times the rate of inflation. Yes its "nicer", you all get an a nice ensuite now, many parents wowed by it being better than the crappy accommodation they had as a student, but for the weekly cost you could be paying a mortgage on a whole house in most places.

£150-200 a week for a small room (with a cupboard ensuite) is totally normal now. And they now normally bill you for 40+ weeks a year to boot, so many weeks you aren't even there.
  • Options
    ping said:

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

There's a glut of it in Coventry, my Dad was in the business till recently - since he's got out the rents of his old block have roughly halved !
    There is a glut of them in Newcastle and Durham too. I don’t know what has happened to the rents but a fair few were advertised as wonderful ‘investment’ opportunities.
    I was briefly in the student accommodation business a few years ago and saw some of the shite “investment opportunities” up close.

Lots of clueless small scale investors will have lost most of their capital. I’m surprised it hasn’t hit the news in a big way.
    I’m not surprised.

A few years ago my Facebook feed had plenty of ads for great value student accommodation investment.

Nowadays it’s apartment blocks in northern towns and cities like Newcastle, Preston, Liverpool and Blackburn.

Great returns and guaranteed returns for the first two years all in exchange for just over 100K for a great flat.

Sounds like something to avoid.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,695
    edited August 2021

So, many, many congratulations to France here. More 1st vaccinations and more completes than the UK, as of today.
    But you might be left wondering how they've managed it, given that the populations are almost exactly the same and they've delivered fewer doses? (1/5)

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1430261812126261251?s=20

They threatened to refuse access to routine medical treatment to people who did not have it, iirc.

Amongst other things, such as counting them on the French system.

The answer is in that word "complete". It means different things in each country.
    If you've been previously infected, France counts a single vaccination as "complete". The UK does not. Everyone is offered two doses.

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1430263001072996354

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    New Statesman on the expected Sharon Graham Unite win:

It means that figures on all sides of the Labour party have found something to be pleased about in her probable victory. Graham is on the left, but Labour moderates and Starmer allies are heartened by the change of style and approach that her leadership will usher in, as the McCluskey era comes to a decisive end. "She owes nothing to the group of people around McCluskey who attempted to block her from standing," says one figure from the Labour right. Figures from the left, meanwhile, are pleased to see an impressive organiser from the left clinch victory, even if it wasn't their preferred candidate.

But overall, there is a quiet sense within Labour that Sharon Graham's victory will be good for both the Labour party and the trade union movement. "We've both lost our way over recent decades," says one MP from the Labour left, who thinks, like many of the party's MPs, that unions had become too embroiled in the day to day minutiae of Labour politics to the detriment of their core organising work, and vice versa. "This realignment is part of the road back."
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

As was his mother.
    Student accommodation is the biggest untalked about rip off. All the focus has been on the increase in uni course fees, but student accommodation has risen many many times the rate of inflation. Yes its "nicer", you all get an a nice ensuite now, many parents wowed by it being better than the crappy accommodation they had as a student, but for the weekly cost you could be paying a mortgage on a whole house in most places.

£150-200 a week for a small room (with a cupboard ensuite) is totally normal now. And they now normally bill you for 40+ weeks a year to boot, so many weeks you aren't even there.
    You can get it for £79/week in Coventry

https://amberstudent.com/places/apollo-house-2004036539141

The supply there is massive.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

“ Which is caused by Brexit.”

Simply untrue. There is a 100,00 shortfall of which 14,000 is claimed to be due to Brexit
    It is simply untrue that it is simply untrue. Brexit means a lack of EU trucks coming acxross with stuff. That truck and that drivers would pick up and drop off in both directions between the channel and their final destination. Not being there means a UK truck and driver has to be found for the pick up and drop off work and we have a shortage of vehicles and drivers.

Its not ALL down to Brexit. But its not all NOT down to Brexit.
    Yes, that’s what I said. Saying the driver shortage is being caused by Brexit is untrue

The ability to deal with the driver shortage is being hampered by the Brexit strategy the government has chosen to pursue. Brexit is an abstract concept. What is not abstract is how it has been implemented.

I am sorry you did not understand what I wrote!
    I understood. You wrote "Saying the driver shortage is being caused by Brexit is untrue"

What you wrote is untrue, the Brexit absolutism I referred to in my first post this morning. You're as bonkers as the people who insist that crap summer weather is because of Brexit.
    What I wrote was not untrue. The shortage of of drivers has been a problem across the world, for years. Yes Brexit has not helped, but it isn’t the cause of the shortfall.

Your insults fall on deaf ears, continue if you like but it doesn’t bother me either way.
    This has been known about as an issue and flagged up for several years now. I have to ask what did the industry do to recruit and retain new drivers ? Brexit is a small part of it only and IR35 really is not solved at all according to contractor groups.

https://www.globalcoldchainnews.com/driver-shortage-is-pan-european.

The driver shortage is 33% in that well known bastion of the EU, Uzbekistan.

https://theloadstar.com/driver-shortage-crisis-a-demographic-time-bomb-that-will-get-worse-says-iru/

Rochdale is New Labour, being insulting is what they do.
    You are, er, the one who is perhaps being insulting. RP is LD! (now SLD)
    He's right. Rochdale is New Labour in the form of Tony Lloyd.

I am not New Labour (and frankly gave that up as far back as 2009). As for "insults" I quoted isam unedited: "Saying the driver shortage is being caused by Brexit is untrue"

As the driver shortage is absolutely caused in part by Brexit, such absolutism from isam is delusional absolutism. If saying "the sky is blue" is me being insulting then fine.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

There's a glut of it in Coventry, my Dad was in the business till recently - since he's got out the rents of his old block have roughly halved !
    There is a glut of them in Newcastle and Durham too. I don’t know what has happened to the rents but a fair few were advertised as wonderful ‘investment’ opportunities.
    One of my nephews did quite well out of refurbishing some housing, turning it into student accommodation, in Preston. He was the contractor, though, not hoping to make long term gains from the rent
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Cookie said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Yesterday was my first visit to a Scottish city since autumn 2019. (Although I’ve been here since the beginning of the month I’ve been only in the rural west highlands, which is stowed out by the way, and even more stunningly gorgeous than ever, if you can get away from the gawkers.)

Perth was like a ghost town yesterday. My family blamed the good weather, so that might be an explanation. But the lack of Homo sapiens was not actually the prime problem, it was the urban decay. Absolutely tragic. You’re maybe like a frog in slowly warming water David: the changes are so incremental you don’t notice. Yesterday for me was an epiphany: Brexit has fucked the country.
    Ok, if it was the first time in a while I could see why the decline would be more obvious. But these trends have very little or anything to do with Brexit and a lot more to do with the Amazon warehouses in Dunfermline and Glenrothes.
    Wrong.

Online shopping is *far* more established and universal in Sweden than in Scotland. Yet Swedish cities and large towns are absolutely buzzing. The good-times vibe is palpable. In fact, I find all those young, happy, affluent Scandinavians so disconcerting that I avoid city centres. Call me a misanthrope. You’d probably be right.

Scotland has had the Union, Brexit, Covid and online shopping. The place is totally fucked.
    Sweden has had independence, Covid and online shopping. The place is booming.
    Spot the difference.
    the weather's pretty similar as well....
    Nope. The climate in Scotland and Sweden is surprisingly different. (Scotland and southern Sweden, where most people live, are at the same latitude.)

Sweden has longer, hotter, drier summers and longer, colder, drier winters. Springs and autumns in Sweden are incredibly short: it almost just flips over from winter to summer some years.

I prefer Swedish summers and winters, although ‘vargavintrar’ - wolf-winters - get a bit trying the final two months.

I prefer Scottish springs and autumns.
    In my experience - and this is from some years ago now - Scotland is at its best in April/May and September/October.
    many years ago now but when we went on our annual walking holidays in Scotland it was nearly always in May, occasionally June. Usually got lucky with the weather being dry and never any issues with midges.
    The main thing is - never go in August!

Feb, March and April are the driest months. I've never had midge problems on the hills in February...
  • Options

The UK and Sweden have among the worst per-capita COVID-19 mortality in Europe. Sweden stands out for its greater reliance on voluntary, rather than mandatory, control measures. We explore how the timing and effectiveness of control measures in the UK, Sweden and Denmark shaped COVID-19 mortality in each country, using a counterfactual assessment: what would the impact have been, had each country adopted the others’ policies? Using a Bayesian semi-mechanistic model without prior assumptions on the mechanism or effectiveness of interventions, we estimate the time-varying reproduction number for the UK, Sweden and Denmark from daily mortality data. We use two approaches to evaluate counterfactuals which transpose the transmission profile from one country onto another, in each country’s first wave from 13th March (when stringent interventions began) until 1st July 2020. UK mortality would have approximately doubled had Swedish policy been adopted, while Swedish mortality would have more than halved had Sweden adopted UK or Danish strategies. Danish policies were most effective, although differences between the UK and Denmark were significant for one counterfactual approach only. Our analysis shows that small changes in the timing or effectiveness of interventions have disproportionately large effects on total mortality within a rapidly growing epidemic.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-95699-9#Sec7

That's what exponential growth does. Each doubling contains as many whatevers as everything that had happened before.

That week in March 2020, where testing had folded and the government dragged its feet on locking down... more than half the cases and deaths from wave 1.

The faffing around in Twixtmas 2020/1, also horribly expensive.

It's just maths.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,986

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Simply untrue. There is a 100,00 shortfall of which 14,000 is claimed to be due to Brexit
    It is simply untrue that it is simply untrue. Brexit means a lack of EU trucks coming acxross with stuff. That truck and that drivers would pick up and drop off in both directions between the channel and their final destination. Not being there means a UK truck and driver has to be found for the pick up and drop off work and we have a shortage of vehicles and drivers.

Yes, that’s what I said. Saying the driver shortage is being caused by Brexit is untrue

The ability to deal with the driver shortage is being hampered by the Brexit strategy the government has chosen to pursue. Brexit is an abstract concept. What is not abstract is how it has been implemented.

I understood. You wrote "Saying the driver shortage is being caused by Brexit is untrue"

What you wrote is untrue, the Brexit absolutism I referred to in my first post this morning. You're as bonkers as the people who insist that crap summer weather is because of Brexit.
    What I wrote was not untrue. The shortage of of drivers has been a problem across the world, for years. Yes Brexit has not helped, but it isn’t the cause of the shortfall.

Your insults fall on deaf ears, continue if you like but it doesn’t bother me either way.
    This has been known about as an issue and flagged up for several years now. I have to ask what did the industry do to recruit and retain new drivers ? Brexit is a small part of it only and IR35 really is not solved at all according to contractor groups.

https://theloadstar.com/driver-shortage-crisis-a-demographic-time-bomb-that-will-get-worse-says-iru/

I am not New Labour (and frankly gave that up as far back as 2009). As for "insults" I quoted isam unedited: "Saying the driver shortage is being caused by Brexit is untrue"

As the driver shortage is absolutely caused in part by Brexit, such absolutism from isam is delusional absolutism. If saying "the sky is blue" is me being insulting then fine.
    It is you who is the absolutist, I say Brexit is partly to blame, you are saying it is the absolute cause, when the same issue is affecting almost every country in the world for several years

European road transport firms are racing towards a driver shortage crisis of 150,000 unfilled jobs, according to new research from Transport Intelligence.
    In a report released this week, European Road Freight Transport 2018, the supply chain analyst shows that in just six countries – the UK, Germany, France, Denmark Sweden and Norway – the shortage of drivers adds up to 127,500.

The UK leads the way with a shortage of 52,000 drivers, but is closely followed by Germany at 45,000 vacancies – with predictions that this could increase by a staggering 28,000 each year.

The report says: “In Germany, the DSLV transport union reports that in the next 15 years, two-thirds of drivers will retire. Germany is facing a shortage of 45,000 truck drivers, with around 30,000 leaving the profession every year. This compares with only 2,000 people receiving truck-driving qualifications each year.”

https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spreading-across-the-whole-of-europe
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

“One baby to Nirvana says I’m having to sue you…”
  • Options
    isam said:

DougSeal said:

However, Elden's lawyer, Robert Y. Lewis, argues that the inclusion of the dollar bill (which was superimposed after the photograph was taken) makes the minor seem "like a sex worker".

He probably deserves some royalties or whatever, but the ABSOLUTE STATE of this argument.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Yet still heavily invested in labour enough to comment numerous times this summer about purging Corbyn and his ilk from Labour.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kjh said:

@HYUFD Don't want to fall out with you HYUFD because I like you a lot and without getting back into the Comprehensive/Grammar argument I would just like to know whether you understood @rcs1000 hypothetical example he gave last night to demonstrate the fallacy of the stats you were using?

I went back and looked at the 2016 thread where I constructed a similar scenario and HYUFD, amongst others, was adamant that it showed the Grammar school was better.
  • Options
    I suspect, and fear, that military discipline, as we understand it doesn't exist in the Taliban 'Army'. Much will be down to local commanders, probably at what we would call a very low level.
    However, I expect that as far as those local commanders are concerned, "God will know his own" applies.

Dreadful thought though it it!
  • Options
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Yet still heavily invested in labour enough to comment numerous times this summer about purging Corbyn and his ilk from Labour.
    Hmm. *puzzled* So PBTories are also heavily invested in Labour, on that same criterion?
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,765
    edited August 2021
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

I seem to recall RP was rejected by Labour for being too "Newish".
  • Options
    isam said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

It is you who is the absolutist, I say Brexit is partly to blame, you are saying it is the absolute cause, when the same issue is affecting almost every country in the world for several years
    So when I say "caused in part by Brexit" that is me saying it is the absolute cause is it?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Hmm. *puzzled* So PBTories are also heavily invested in Labour, on that same criterion?
    Not seen any of these so-called PB Tories getting bogged down by intra Labour Party factionalism.

Still, never mind. How’s Indy going now the heavily Indy supporting Govt is now in charge in Holyrood ? When is the plan for the vote ?
  • Options

isam said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

So when I say "caused in part by Brexit" that is me saying it is the absolute cause is it?
    Well if that’s what you think then I agree, and wonder why you jump down my throat for saying it’s not the cause. It is a minor contributor on top of a long standing problem and Covid
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,841
    edited August 2021
    I do wonder about how much of what is left of Brexit is basically about pissing off remainers more than anything to do with the UK-EU relations?

Feels like just over half to me.

* Just for balance there are a small band of remainers who want leavers to suffer, but unlike Brexiteer joy of pissing off remainers, that is not mainstream (perhaps it is within parts of social media like twatter).
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Well if that’s what you think then I agree, and wonder why you jump down my throat for saying it’s not the cause. It is a minor contributor on top of a long standing problem and Covid
    I think its comments like "minor cause" that make me laugh (not jump down your throat). Frankly please be free to keep believing whatever you like. It doesn't change reality.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127
    edited August 2021
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Anyone can produce a hypothetical example to prove their point, I just gave actual facts of the dominance by the privately educated of the top jobs now.

Oh my god you don't get it do you? The hypothetical example was to show that you were using a stat incorrectly by showing (in an example) that the stat you were using, although accurate didn't show what you thought it showed.

He showed in an example that mathematically a school in one area could appear to be significantly more successful than schools in another area, whereas the outcome was actually better for the children in the other area.

I'll have a go:

2 identical areas with identical kids. In one there are 4 comprehensives, in the other a Grammar and 3 Secondaries.

The results are each Comp gets 2 people to Oxbridge, the Grammar 4 people and the Secondaries 0.

So applying your stats to these results the Grammar school is twice as good as the Comps. Agree?

But in fact the other area actually got twice as many kids to Oxbridge than the Grammar school area.

Now you may be right and I might be wrong and Grammar schools might be better, but your stat definitely doesn't show that so you shouldn't be using it.
    So an entirely made up scenario produced to get the outcome you want ie comprehensive areas get more pupils into Oxbridge than selective areas overall.

Yet not a single actual fact to back it up.

In actual fact the lowest acceptance rate into Oxbridge by LA area in England is in areas like comprehensive East Sussex, Hull and Merseyside all with none or less than 0.5%.

Selective Kent by contrast has 1.5-3% acceptance rate into Oxbridge and selective Bucks has a well above average 3-4% Oxbridge acceptance rate.

In London too the highest areas by Oxbridge admission are in the suburbs where there are still a few grammars, not the inner city

https://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/AccesstoAdvantage-2018.pdf (p32)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Alistair said:

I used a similar example on here last time i waded into the debate and even after breaking it down some people still thought it showed my hyptohetical Grammar school setup where less children got to go to University was better for getting kids to Uni.

You can but try.

The fraction of Welsh students going to Oxbridge has steadily declined since the 1950s.

In fact, Wales now does worse than any area of England.

Now, there may well be other factors that influence this, but certainly the decline and abolition of the Welsh grammars schools is one. What replaced them in Wales was not as good.

And in fact, it is this that inspired the founder of the Sutton Trust, Peter Lampl to set it up.

"I went to dinner at my old college, Corpus Christi, which used to have lots of ordinary Welsh kids, many of them my best friends. I was told they weren't coming through any more."

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2007/mar/27/schools.uk
    Yes quite true, there used to be lots of Welsh grammar pupils at Oxford, Jesus College being a fine example now that number has declined significantly now there is not a single grammar school left in Wales.

Of course the trend is clear across the top jobs, 65% of senior Judges, 57% of the Cabinet, 52% of diplomats and junior ministers, 55% of top solicitors, 67% of British Oscar winners (Anthony Hopkins was a Welsh grammar school boy of course as was Richard Burton) and 61% of top doctors went to private school.

However never mind. I am sure kjh will be along soon with another 'stat' to say how brilliantly our comprehensives are doing at getting state educated pupils into the top jobs now most of the grammar schools have been scrapped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48745333
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35641061
    Sweden doesn’t have grammar schools, yet funnily enough we manage to find good people to fill top jobs, judicial posts, diplomatic posts, solicitors, universities, doctors and winners of daft showbiz gongs. We even manage to find incorrupt and competent cabinet ministers.

How do we manage without grammar schools? It’s a mystery.
    Germany does have grammar schools called gymnasiums and also manages to find all of the above.

However neither have British, Anglosphere style public schools, so without grammar school competition the public schools are back on top again in terms of the top jobs
    What Stuart has conveniently omitted is that Sweden has a growing independent sector where the state pays the fees. Sounds an ideal model to me. Perhaps similar to "free schools". I would have been quite happy for the state to pay my kids independent school fees. Sadly it was a choice between the bog standard comprehensive with the heavy influence of trade unions, or forking out an eye watering amount of money to ensure they got a trade union free education. I chose the latter. Best money I ever spent.
    The problem as I see it is that, over a very short space of time english private schools have become more woke than state secondary schools. Private school is now simply buying your way in to a woke elite. What you really need to actually get a decent education is a time machine, and no such service exists.

My own conclusion on all of this was that you have to move to a different country to get a decent education for your children. There are many outstanding teachers and lecturers, but the school and university system in the UK and USA has basically been taken over by clowns.
    Funny you should say that, becuase there’s an awful lot of British-curriculum schools opening overseas at the moment…

Ten new private schools are set to open in Dubai during the 2021-22 academic year, with many gearing up to welcome pupils from September.

These new openings will increase Dubai's number of schools to 220 and will create 15,000 new school places.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/uae/education/a-guide-to-dubai-s-new-private-schools-and-their-fees-1.1239045
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

However, Elden's lawyer, Robert Y. Lewis, argues that the inclusion of the dollar bill (which was superimposed after the photograph was taken) makes the minor seem "like a sex worker".

He probably deserves some royalties or whatever, but the ABSOLUTE STATE of this argument.
    If he didn't howl about it, nobody would have known it was him. So any "damage" to his reputation is down to his own disclosure. How many times a week does he get stopped in the street by people asking "Hey, aren't you that swimming baby on the Nevermind cover?"

Maybe he is so sensitive because his willy never grew since the photo was taken?
  • Options

I do wonder about how much of what is left of Brexit is basically about pissing off remainers more than anything to do with the UK-EU relations?

* Just for balance there are a small band of remainers who want leavers to suffer, but unlike Brexiteer joy of pissing off remainers, that is not mainstream (perhaps it is within parts of social media like twatter).
    I'm a special case. I voted to leave the EU believing that the political project was never something we could participate in so better to withdraw and focus on free trade.

That it has turned into such an epic cluster fuck now has me a remainer now (as the lesser of both evils) but not one interested in fighting past battles. We left. We need to have what we are doing now work, and it doesn't. Whats more we're about to increase the levels of not work.

Its very easy for armchair generals to pooh pooh Brexit issues as either not existing or being mostly caused by anything that isn't Brexit. Doesn't help those of us who actually do things which have been buggered by the intransigence and alt-fact lunacy of people like isam and Philip.

If they were directly involved day to day with Brexit then fine. Instead they as people with zero knowledge or experience tell the people who wrestle with it as a job that they are wrong. Britain has still had enough of experts apparently.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Not seen any of these so-called PB Tories getting bogged down by intra Labour Party factionalism.

Still, never mind. How’s Indy going now the heavily Indy supporting Govt is now in charge in Holyrood ? When is the plan for the vote ?
    They have said 'in the next 5 years' which conveniently kicks it past the next UK general election as they know Boris will refuse it
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Brexit allows us to do other deals. The big one will be CPTPP. There is a strain of thinking that post-Afghanistan, Biden might be more amenable to joining it...

If that happens, the EU is small fry in comparison. Either way, we aren't going back to the EU.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670
    I did assume he was appointed for the relationship aspect and not to actually do any negotiating. Mainly drinking Fosters and exchanging cricketing stories. Might actually be quite useful as a counter to boring trade negotiators. I understand the Aussies are partial to a beer.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

FFS....

Playing devil's advocate against the official PB agreed view, the last I saw a 3rd dose didn't give any permanent increased benefit, it just gave a short term boost of active antibodies before the body returned to long term T-cell protection.

You could certainly argue it's worth it for the most vulnerable to take the edge off Jan & Feb numbers, but it doesn't seem abject lunacy to be against.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

They have said 'in the next 5 years' which conveniently kicks it past the next UK general election as they know Boris will refuse it
    Do they really want Indy or are they happy being big fish in a small pool ?

You have to wonder. They clearly can claim a mandate.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I did assume he was appointed for the relationship aspect and not to actually do any negotiating. Mainly drinking Fosters and exchanging cricketing stories. Might actually be quite useful as a counter to boring trade negotiators. I understand the Aussies are partial to a beer.
    I'm sure plenty of prominent Aussies visiting London would enjoy a "trade" day out to Lord's with him
  • Options

Brexit allows us to do other deals. The big one will be CPTPP. There is a strain of thinking that post-Afghanistan, Biden might be more amenable to joining it...

If that happens, the EU is small fry in comparison. Either way, we aren't going back to the EU.
    You don't need David Frost to point to the difference in size between pre-Brexit trade with the EU and potential incremental trade with CPTPP as and when that gets signed.

Basic question. What is there in our draft CPTPP deal which requires us to do all the self-harming things we are doing to ourselves with regards to the EU?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Urquhart,

Ignoring the tits (difficult I know), but did she really claim that the IPCC report stated that all animal species would be extinct by 2030.

There's a feeling in the North that London deserves this sort of chaos for encouraging them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,204
    maaarsh said:

FFS....

Playing devil's advocate against the official PB agreed view, the last I saw a 3rd dose didn't give any permanent increased benefit, it just gave a short term boost of active antibodies before the body returned to long term T-cell protection.

You could certainly argue it's worth it for the most vulnerable to take the edge off Jan & Feb numbers, but it doesn't seem abject lunacy to be against.
    So long as none of the people saying boosters aren't needed are also pro-lockdown in any way shape or form, then I'm inclined to agree with you.
  • Options

Of course we aren't going back to the EU, and I wouldn't recommend we do us unless there was a settled two thirds majority in favour anyway, there is no point doing a hokey kokey.

I was questioning the motivations behind Brexit being dominant politically even after we have Brexit-ed. In order I would say:

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    maaarsh said:

FFS....

The point is we have 60 million doses of Pfizer coming (and loads of AZN that other countries refuse because of Fake News), the only real downside of jabbing is we waste some on people who as you say don't get long term improved protection only short term boost, the downside of not jabbing is that ICU start overflowing as waning protection against infection is real and (the big unknown) is that it is also waning protection against hospitalisation.

Its seems a total no-brainer. Mixing and matching in particular from the research looks an effective strategy.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Do they really want Indy or are they happy being big fish in a small pool ?

You have to wonder. They clearly can claim a mandate.
    Why would Sturgeon want to risk her nice 6 figure salary and residence in Bute House and control over Scottish domestic policy obtained by Nat voting fodder for a referendum which could lead to another No vote, forcing her resignation and destroying her career?

Or even if it did lead to a Yes vote (which needs Yes to be polling on 55%+ to be near certain of which it is not) she knows it would lead to economic problems for Scotland and potentially a resurgent SLab in an independent Scotland which could lose the SNP power and also cost her her job
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

I'm a special case. I voted to leave the EU believing that the political project was never something we could participate in so better to withdraw and focus on free trade.

That it has turned into such an epic cluster fuck now has me a remainer now (as the lesser of both evils) but not one interested in fighting past battles. We left. We need to have what we are doing now work, and it doesn't. Whats more we're about to increase the levels of not work.

Its very easy for armchair generals to pooh pooh Brexit issues as either not existing or being mostly caused by anything that isn't Brexit. Doesn't help those of us who actually do things which have been buggered by the intransigence and alt-fact lunacy of people like isam and Philip.

If they were directly involved day to day with Brexit then fine. Instead they as people with zero knowledge or experience tell the people who wrestle with it as a job that they are wrong. Britain has still had enough of experts apparently.
    Being in the single market and customs union without being in the EU wouldn't have removed us from the political project. It would have just removed our say in it.

It's wrong to call leaving the single market 'intransigence and alt-fact lunacy'. It's just what Brexit is. It's what you voted for.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

FFS....

Following this logic we should probably stop the flu vaccination program too.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501

[snip] I'm a special case. I voted to leave the EU believing that the political project was never something we could participate in so better to withdraw and focus on free trade.
    That sounds a fairly mainstream position to me!
  • Options

Being in the single market and customs union without being in the EU wouldn't have removed us from the political project. It would have just removed our say in it.

It's wrong to call leaving the single market 'intransigence and alt-fact lunacy'. It's just what Brexit is. It's what you voted for.
    For clarity, my definition of "political project" was the Euro, Schengen, the EU Army etc. Norway is not a member of the EU and is unencumbered with any of these despite its open trade deal.

I did not refer to the EEA in those terms - that is your inference not mine. The "alt-fact lunacy" is an an example this morning's display of stating that Brexit is not having a significant impact on our supply chain.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

maaarsh said:

FFS....

The Jehovah's Witnesses were right after all...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

'Within 5 years' is not the same as 'after 5 years' or whatever interpretation you put on it.

The wording was also 'preferably by the end of 2023'.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Aussies, cricketers and beers brings us to David Boon drinking 52 cans of beer on his flight over to England! Nowadays we would struggle to deliver enough cans to the aircraft......
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Pulpstar said:

maaarsh said:

FFS....

Again, strictly devils advocate, but I'm not sure your analogy works whatsoever. The Flu vaccine is developed to respond to specific variants each year and gives significantly increased protection against those. We're not talking about delta specific boosters here as they haven't been developed yet.

On balance I'm in favour of giving at risk groups an extra jab for this winter - I'm just not sure the case so open and shut that people with access to far more information than me must be idiots to disagree.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Yes, he’s a trade envoy not a trade negotiator. He’ll base himself there a few months of the year, go to events, exhibitions and parties - with the advantage that pretty much everyone in Australia knows who he is, and quite a few would like a photo with him!

It’s the sort of thing the Duke of York used to do, but for some reason we can’t use him any more!
  • Options

Of course we aren't going back to the EU, and I wouldn't recommend we do us unless there was a settled two thirds majority in favour anyway, there is no point doing a hokey kokey.

I was questioning the motivations behind Brexit being dominant politically even after we have Brexit-ed. In order I would say:

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals
    Brexiters don't need to piss off the Remainers - Remainers fire up that engine all on their own.

And the only way we would go back in to the EU is if we gave up any ability for Brexit 2. We would be locked in and there would be no Article 50 option. That would be the price for re-admission. That would have to be the basis of our informed consent. I'm not sure what level of majority that requires. Even less sure it could be attained.
  • Options

You don't need David Frost to point to the difference in size between pre-Brexit trade with the EU and potential incremental trade with CPTPP as and when that gets signed.

Basic question. What is there in our draft CPTPP deal which requires us to do all the self-harming things we are doing to ourselves with regards to the EU?
    Exports to the EU are already above the level they were before Brexit. (Eurostat's data doesn't treat pre- and post-Brexit trade on the same basis so their numbers aren't comparable.)

• Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,765

kjh said:

I'm sure plenty of prominent Aussies visiting London would enjoy a "trade" day out to Lord's with him
    Especially if they are wine-makers looking for an 'interesting' new way to brand their rather ordinary plonk.
  • Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals
    Brexiters don't need to piss off the Remainers - Remainers fire up that engine all on their own.

And the only way we would go back in to the EU is if we gave up any ability for Brexit 2. We would be locked in and there would be no Article 50 option. That would be the price for re-admission. That would have to be the basis of our informed consent. I'm not sure what level of majority that requires. Even less sure it could be attained.
    You are trying to argue with yourself, no-one is suggesting rejoin! Certainly not me.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

I think its comments like "minor cause" that make me laugh (not jump down your throat). Frankly please be free to keep believing whatever you like. It doesn't change reality.
    I already am free to believe whatever I like
  • Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9925087/Taliban-vow-tackle-CLIMATE-CHANGE-amid-civilian-executions-eradication-womens-freedoms.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

The Taliban should have no problem upholding their climate commitments with 0.28 tons per person per year in emissions.
    In addition, their strict control of flights from September onward in Kabul should help further lower CO2 emissions.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

'Within 5 years' is not the same as 'after 5 years' or whatever interpretation you put on it.

Which even then is also conveniently past the likely next UK general election date of Spring 2023
  • Options

For clarity, my definition of "political project" was the Euro, Schengen, the EU Army etc. Norway is not a member of the EU and is unencumbered with any of these despite its open trade deal.

I did not refer to the EEA in those terms - that is your inference not mine. The "alt-fact lunacy" is an an example this morning's display of stating that Brexit is not having a significant impact on our supply chain.
    That's a very arbitrary definition of 'political project'. Why is Schengen political in a way that free movement isn't?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

I'll have a go:

So an entirely made up scenario produced to get the outcome you want ie comprehensive areas get more pupils into Oxbridge than selective areas overall.

In actual fact the lowest acceptance rate into Oxbridge by LA area in England is in areas like comprehensive East Sussex, Hull and Merseyside all with none or less than 0.5%.

Selective Kent by contrast has 1.5-3% acceptance rate into Oxbridge and selective Bucks has a well above average 3-4% Oxbridge acceptance rate.

In London too the highest areas by Oxbridge admission are in the suburbs where there are still a few grammars, not the inner city

https://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/AccesstoAdvantage-2018.pdf (p32)
    Head hits wall.

How do you not get this?

This is not an argument about who is right and wrong about Grammar and Comprehensive. Would it help if I said I was wrong and you are right? Happy to do that if you wish in utter desperation.

Now lets start again on the stats you have been using. You don't seem to understand that you are using a stat incorrectly to try and prove a point. Hence you are not proving the point.

Because you didn't understand that, Robert and I came up with an examples to show you what you are doing wrong, by showing an example where your use of stats clearly gives the wrong result.

So in the example I gave using your method it showed the Grammar school (if it helps use another word like Green marble) was twice as good as the Comprehensives (Red marbles) next door. In fact the stat you were using was being used inappropriately because in fact the area next door were actually twice as good.

The point here is your methodology to produce what you call a 'fact' is mathematically wrong. So your 'fact' is not a 'fact' at all.

You seem to struggle with what a fact is, what a stat is and what logic is. Stats taken out of context or interpreted incorrectly are not facts at all. In fact in the case you gave they started out as facts and your interpretation of them made them no longer facts. Logic applied to a fact is a fact.

It is a fact that your interpretation of the stats is NOT a fact as demonstrated by both the logical argument and by deduction by providing an example that fails.

The irony is you state I am not providing any Facts whereas I am the only one of the two of us who actually is.
  • Options
    What are England going to do when Jimmy Anderson finally has to pack in test cricket?
  • Options

kjh said:

Aussies, cricketers and beers brings us to David Boon drinking 52 cans of beer on his flight over to England! Nowadays we would struggle to deliver enough cans to the aircraft......
    And Boon and Botham reminds me of this..

"Botham later told The Guardian: “Boony was struggling for his Test place and was deadly serious. But he just about fell over laughing and shouted, ‘Beefy, you can’t do this to me.’ I was midway though my run-up and he’d spotted that I’d unzipped my fly and hauled out the meat and two veg. The old man was dangling in the wind as I steamed in. If I’d got it on target I would’ve bowled him. I thought it was a nice way to go out.”"
    https://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/ian-botham-lets-the-old-man-out-on-his-final-day-in-first-class-cricket-159325

• Options
    kjh said:

He does run a wine business, mainly made in Australia I think

https://bothamwines.com/my-wine-story/
  • Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals

The EU is done as far as GB is concerned. Desperate #FBPE people need to move on and ask the rather basic questions on next steps. That we have to say "GB" and not "UK" could be a starter for 10.
  • Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals

You are trying to argue with yourself, no-one is suggesting rejoin! Certainly not me.
    Are you really suggesting there isn't a sizeable body of opinion on here that wouldn't rejoin the EU tomorrow if it was on offer?

Right.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

Which even then is also conveniently past the likely next UK general election date of Spring 2023
    Possibly, maybe, handwaving, if my great-great-grandmother was a Polynesian Islander I'd be living in Samoa ...
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    isam said:

kjh said:

Does that not lead to a conflict of interest a priori? (not criticising Mr Botham specifically - just wondering how those things are done.)
  • Options

What are England going to do when Jimmy Anderson finally has to pack in test cricket?

Only two of the eight runs so far scored off the bat, too.
  • Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals

Are you really suggesting there isn't a sizeable body of opinion on here that wouldn't rejoin the EU tomorrow if it was on offer?

Right.....
    I have read very few posts arguing for it, can't remember the last one?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

It almost certainly won’t be spring 2023, given the boundary changes apply from that summer. October ‘23 IMO.
  • Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals

Right.....
    The unstated implication of Rafael Behr's much-shared article yesterday was clearly that we should rejoin sooner rather than later, but instead of arguing for it explicitly, he tries to present Brexit as futile and pointless.

• Options

Exports to the EU are already above the level they were before Brexit. (Eurostat's data doesn't treat pre- and post-Brexit trade on the same basis so their numbers aren't comparable.)

And? BTW can you please help ONS define "UK" as that no longer exists in the context of trade with the EU. GB and NI are entirely separate customs zones, with NI being on the EU side of the fence.

Anyway, glad to see that one post of already picked apart charts instantly wipes away all the issues those of us in the real world are dealing with. As its that simple have to ask why you haven't done so sooner to save me the need to do all this paperwork.

The 4 attempts it took to get chilled samples through customs (which my customer assures me was fast compared to some) would have been completely unnecessary had you posted this earlier, as would have been all the rancid boxes of stuff arriving at random months after being sent that our customer keeps suffering.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

kjh said:

Does that not lead to a conflict of interest a priori? (not criticising Mr Botham specifically - just wondering how those things are done.)
    Normally, such conflicts are actively encouraged, particularly if a large donation is made in exchange for a dinner or tennis match with someone in the cabinet. Hope that helps.
  • Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals

Right.....
    The unstated implication of Rafael Behr's much-shared article yesterday was clearly that we should rejoin sooner rather than later, but instead of arguing for it explicitly, he tries to present Brexit as futile and pointless.

Another one who comes across as over the moon with any problems he can pin on being Brexit-related, even if it means people and businesses are suffering. Not a good look.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

I'll have a go:

Head hits wall.

How do you not get this?

This is not an argument about who is right and wrong about Grammar and Comprehensive. Would it help if I said I was wrong and you are right? Happy to do that if you wish in utter desperation.

Now lets start again on the stats you have been using. You don't seem to understand that you are using a stat incorrectly to try and prove a point. Hence you are not proving the point.

Because you didn't understand that, Robert and I came up with an examples to show you what you are doing wrong, by showing an example where your use of stats clearly gives the wrong result.

So in the example I gave using your method it showed the Grammar school (if it helps use another word like Green marble) was twice as good as the Comprehensives (Red marbles) next door. In fact the stat you were using was being used inappropriately because in fact the area next door were actually twice as good.

The point here is your methodology to produce what you call a 'fact' is mathematically wrong. So your 'fact' is not a 'fact' at all.

You seem to struggle with what a fact is, what a stat is and what logic is. Stats taken out of context or interpreted incorrectly are not facts at all. In fact in the case you gave they started out as facts and your interpretation of them made them no longer facts. Logic applied to a fact is a fact.

It is a fact that your interpretation of the stats is NOT a fact as demonstrated by both the logical argument and by deduction by providing an example that fails.

The irony is you state I am not providing any Facts whereas I am the only one of the two of us who actually is.
    You have just posted umpteen posts full of hypotheticals but without a single actual FACT to support your argument.

I have just posted facts which show quite clearly that selective areas ie including grammars and non selective high schools, have above average rates of Oxbridge acceptance. So even on your chosen methodology and context and even on your usual tedious 'I am so brilliant at logic and maths unlike you' rant that effectively means that I was right and you were wrong as you now seem to have all but conceded.

• Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals

Right.....
    I would go back in time and not leave. That is very different to wanting to rejoin now having left. That is a non-starter. What we need to do is stop lying to ourselves that there either are no problems or that our problems are the fault of Covid / IR35 / crap CEOs / crap jobs / my doge ate it and definitely not Brexit.

Especially with all the fun of 1st October and 1st January to come. Avoiding those shitshows would benefit everyone.
  • Options

And? BTW can you please help ONS define "UK" as that no longer exists in the context of trade with the EU. GB and NI are entirely separate customs zones, with NI being on the EU side of the fence.

Anyway, glad to see that one post of already picked apart charts instantly wipes away all the issues those of us in the real world are dealing with. As its that simple have to ask why you haven't done so sooner to save me the need to do all this paperwork.

The 4 attempts it took to get chilled samples through customs (which my customer assures me was fast compared to some) would have been completely unnecessary had you posted this earlier, as would have been all the rancid boxes of stuff arriving at random months after being sent that our customer keeps suffering.
    Given the trade imbalance, the net effect of decision makers in your position wanting to avoid customs issues will be to promote reshoring of supply chains, even if this is not possible for everything.
  • Options
    Tesco delivery today… the only item not available was bottled water
  • Options

Given the trade imbalance, the net effect of decision makers in your position wanting to avoid customs issues will be to promote reshoring of supply chains, even if this is not possible for everything.
    Surely the trade imbalance is partly caused by HMG's inability to get the inward customs controls up and running, only some 3 years after the vote? Their implementation will do a lot to resolve that.
  • Options

Absolutely. We just need to promote reshoring, it really is that simple.
  • Options

But surely that also applies to the other side of the English and Irish Channels?
  • Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals

Right.....
    I would go back in time and not leave. That is very different to wanting to rejoin now having left. That is a non-starter. What we need to do is stop lying to ourselves that there either are no problems or that our problems are the fault of Covid / IR35 / crap CEOs / crap jobs / my doge ate it and definitely not Brexit.

Especially with all the fun of 1st October and 1st January to come. Avoiding those shitshows would benefit everyone.
    The Doge is a brilliant excuse! Bloody European chief magistrates.....
  • Options

It's a structural change and it will take time for its effects to filter through.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pretty hard to make the case for anyone in the UK needing bottled water....
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    isam said:

After a few weeks of bottled water availability being highly patchy, no problems at all for bottled water these last two or three weeks. In fact, the only thing not available was big boxes of strawberries, for which small boxes of strawberries were substituted.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

I'll have a go:

Head hits wall.

How do you not get this?

You have just posted umpteen posts full of hypotheticals but without a single actual FACT to support your argument.

I have just posted facts which show quite clearly that selective areas ie including grammars and non selective high schools, have above average rates of Oxbridge acceptance. So even on your chosen methodology and context and even on your usual tedious 'I am so brilliant at logic and maths unlike you' rant that effectively means that I was right and you were wrong as you now seem to have all but conceded.

Normally you can tell the winner of an argument by the first to move to CAPITALISING random words for emphasis. However, in this scenario with both posters using this technique in CONSECUTIVE posts it is very hard to work out who is on top.
  • Options

isam said:

Pretty hard to make the case for anyone in the UK needing bottled water....
    We don't normally use it (except occasionally the fizzy stuff as a treat/for upset tummies). But a couple of canisters on hand are very reassuring in case of the water supply being cut off.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

I already am free to believe whatever I like
    But not to say whatever you like. There are legal constraints there. And short of this, PB constraints, which if not adhered to can lead to you being banned for a period or in extremis forever.
  • Options
    isam said:

I had a Sainsbury’s delivery on Friday, full weeks shop. 1 change.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

isam said:

After a few weeks of bottled water availability being highly patchy, no problems at all for bottled water these last two or three weeks. In fact, the only thing not available was big boxes of strawberries, for which small boxes of strawberries were substituted.
    More importantly are they still tasty? Think its about now they move from being the best summer berry out there to decidedly underwhelming?
  • Options

Piss off the remainers
    Piss off the French
    Higher wages for some
    New trade deals

Right.....

If I could turn back time. If I could find a way.
This discussion has been closed.