Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Foreign Sec Raab now 19% second favourite in the next Cabinet exit betting – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942

That is simply disgusting

It is, which is why he should resign.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    edited August 2021
    Those Taliban ‘country boys’. Such scamps. This is probably some ‘inclusive’ rural tradition

‘Amnesty International said its researchers had spoken to witnesses in Ghazni province who recounted how the Taliban killed nine Hazara men in the village of Mundarakht between the 4 and 6 of July. It said six of the men were shot, and three were tortured to death.

‘The brutality of the killings was “a reminder of the Taliban’s past record, and a horrifying indicator of what Taliban rule may bring”, said Agnès Callamard, the head of Amnesty International.

The rights group warned that many more killings may have gone unreported because the Taliban cut mobile phone services in many areas they have captured to prevent images from being published.’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/20/afghanistan-reports-of-torture-and-killing-contradict-taliban-promises?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    edited August 2021

Taz said:

A new "hospital" opening today. The Tories have redefined the term hospital to mean ward

They deserve to be mocked for this. Its as bad as 'new' money announcements that are partly already announced money.
    Of course Labour never did this....
    Gordon Brown was so useless he announced a spending increase of 0% once.
    I had forgotten that. I.will google it...
    Gordon Brown was a master of smoke and mirrors. He very cleverly hid tax rises. For me the withdrawal of tax credits on dividends if you didn't have a tax element to set it against was his best. Huge impact on people's pension pots that they never became aware of unless they fell into the PPF as a possible or partial consequence thereof.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    The leader they are lucky to have and we would be lucky if we had.

A badly aged take.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

How the other half live. No wonder Raab didn't want to abandon his holiday. His week in Crete cot more than half his salary, presuming he paid himself:

https://twitter.com/manda_m0/status/1428054565631451143?s=19

An MP's salary is £81,932

The cost of Raabs holiday £40,000!

Dominic Raab spent half his yearly salary on a one week holiday?!

Who really paid for it???? https://t.co/eeGYlWHxqW

I am not defending Raab but what has his salary to do with paying for a holiday

I do not know but surely Raab is wealthy enough to pay for his holiday from his savings
    Can you imagine the family and spousal pressure he would have been under not to spoil it?
    I have always been on the Raab side of "if it can wait, don't bother me on holiday, the wife will otherwise not be best pleased". I would suggest this might be one of those times where (irrespective of the futily of the subsequent refused call) it couldn't wait.

No excuses. Should he fall? That is up to Johnson.
    That’s spot on.

Fundamentally the phone call doesn’t matter.

It just leads to questions about his judgement
  • Options
    kjh said:

Taz said:

A new "hospital" opening today. The Tories have redefined the term hospital to mean ward

They deserve to be mocked for this. Its as bad as 'new' money announcements that are partly already announced money.
    Gordon Brown was a master of smoke and mirrors. He very cleverly hid tax rises. For me the withdrawal of tax credits on dividends if you didn't have a tax element to set it against was his best. Huge impact on people's pension pots that they never became aware of unless they fell into the PPF as a possible or partial consequence thereof.
    Pensions have been badly served since thatcher but that was really the death knell for final salary schemes.

Thanks to Brown many people, myself included, will have less to live on in their retirement.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

How the other half live. No wonder Raab didn't want to abandon his holiday. His week in Crete cot more than half his salary, presuming he paid himself:

I do not know but surely Raab is wealthy enough to pay for his holiday from his savings
    I agree with you, but then I looked him up. His parents were refugees with average jobs, he didn't work in particularly high paying jobs and he didn't appear to marry money so could be a valid question, although generally I don't think it's any of my business.
    I've no interest in defending Raab, but doesn't he also get a ministerial salary on top of his MP's salary? So, his actual salary would be around £150k? Still £40k would be a big chunk of that.
    Yes and his wife would have a good salary also. I think the original tweet was flawed but still I think we need to be open about the funds of those that govern us and that does seem a punchy holiday which stupidly will raise such questions, particularly even in E&W.
    FWIW, my daughter proposed a Christmas holiday yesterday. We googled and it was going to be £6k pp inclusive of flights.

Her reaction - she’s 9 - was “no way, that’s far too much money for a holiday”.

• Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

Of course they did. Whoever does it should be mocked. Some examples take more piss than others.
    Do you have a source for when Labour redefined hospital to mean ward?
    It must hurt so much when your party cannot gain traction....despite all the bad news. Could it be they're just really crap?
    Could there be any bigger waste of pixels than that sort of content-free My team are the bestest, your team really sucks sort of post?
    Yup - I just read it.
    For the record, I am not a Labour supporter. I only asked to obtain the source.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is pretty extraordinary:

@larisamlbrown reveals this morning that *just 10* FCDO and Border Force staff are in Kabul processing visa applications

They only arrived on Tuesday night

For several days only foreign office official/ diplomat at airport was the ambassador

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1428478067526225923

Wait… so they evacuated all the foreign office staff in advance and now they are being criticised for not having enough people there…?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:

More effort has been put into saving Raab's job than was put into saving Afghans

That is simply disgusting and an inexcusable comment
    Seems bang on to me. Piccaninnies, old Moulmein pagoda, nazanin zaghari-ratcliffe, Afghans - see a common thread here? Do you think like the woman in Blazing Saddles that we should have the good taste not to mention any of this?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Valverde almost went off the side of the mountain !
  • Options
    kjh said:

Taz said:

The hiding of tax rises I don't agree with. Tax rises should be open and transparent. I do remember though that at the time of Brown's tax "raid" the (pink and broad) newspapers were full of it. I don't think it was that hidden.
  • Options
    Not surprised to see PB Tories pretending a ward is in fact a whole hospital.

Outrage if Labour did that! Typical hypocrisy
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Yep - they might be seen as winners in the covid stakes for the start of the pandemic, but things are not looking so clever now. Its interesting that some zero-covid people in the UK are no longer so, notably Devi Shridar. I think they have realised the trap it presents.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

More effort has been put into saving Raab's job than was put into saving Afghans

What effort has been made to saving Afghans?
    Do you really agree with @Scott_xP comment.

The fact we are flying Afghans out daily, and as I commented earlier Foreign Office repatriation flights were evacuating Afghans before the weekend, including the tragic 5 year old Afghan refugee who died in Sheffield, falling from a hotel, and his Afghan father who had worked in the British Embassy

There have been failures but a bit of balance is needed, as many thousands of people are working to bring out refugees
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited August 2021
    Opening a state-of-the-art cancer unit in Cumbria is great news. But to call it a new hospital, as Sajid Javid and the DHSC have done, is a blatant lie. This is important because we have the right to hold governments to account for their manifesto promises. If this cancer unit is deemed one of the 40 'new' hospitals promised by 2030, that promise will be much easier to keep as they could, in theory, just add 40 new units to existing hospitals. The new cancer unit is a small fraction of the cost of a new 'hospital'.

It's just strange, and unnecessary, to lie about it, as the pile-on below the DHSC announcement suggests, and actually distracts from a good news story about improved cancer services, so it's poor politics as well:

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1428409425522434048
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Can you imagine the family and spousal pressure he would have been under not to spoil it?
    Yes , imagine having to take a phone call, would really have blown the holiday big time. Come on David, pull the other one it plays a tune, you really are taking the piss here.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Scott_xP said:

What effort has been made to saving Afghans?
    Do you really agree with @Scott_xP comment.

The fact we are flying Afghans out daily, and as I commented earlier Foreign Office repatriation flights were evacuating Afghans before the weekend, including the tragic 5 year old Afghan refugee who died in Sheffield, falling from a hotel, and his Afghan father who had worked in the British Embassy

There have been failures but a bit of balance is needed, as many thousands of people are working to bring out refugees
    Scott_xP screwed up his cut and paste job.

The actual tweet was

"Those MPs put more effort into saving Raab's job (by picking up their phones) than Raab put into saving those in Afghanistan."
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Scottish sub-sample:

SNP 53%
    SGP 3%
    Pro-independence government 56%

SCon 22%
    SLab 15%
    SLD 5%
    BetterTogether2 42%

oth 1% (presumably Alba)

Then factor in that 40% of SLab voters are pro-independence.
    Meanwhile, back in the real world, the Tories gain a Council seat from the SNP. No evidence here of a huge Pro-Indy swing. The baseline is the 2017 council elections which took place a few weeks before the General Election when the SNP lost over 20 seats and knocked back Nicola's indyref plans.

Mid-Formartine (Aberdeenshire) by-election, first preferences:

Conservative ~ 1480 (45.7%, +11.1)
    SNP ~ 1205 (37.2%, +11.4)
    Lib Dem ~ 412 (12.7%, +3.3)
    Green ~ 144 (4.4%, +4.4)

(Note: Candidates from 2017 not present had 30.1%)

Calling it a “gain” is highly misleading. The Tories topped the poll in 2017 too.

Actually a significant swing TO the Scottish Government parties.
    I agree it's not a "real" Tory gain in the Scottish electoral system.

But aren't you going a bit far with "significant swing"? The reality seems to be that people who voted for various indies in 2017 split in various directions.

I'd not take anything at all from this result about the way the wind is blowing - it's an unsurprising result of the sort you'd expect from the area.
    Agreed. But it is really quite pathetic when Unionists regularly misrepresent the results of Scottish by elections. STV makes analysis fiendishly difficult.
    How desperate are unionists when they try to pass that off as a Tory surge, cringe inducing.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Seems bang on to me. Piccaninnies, old Moulmein pagoda, nazanin zaghari-ratcliffe, Afghans - see a common thread here? Do you think like the woman in Blazing Saddles that we should have the good taste not to mention any of this?
    I am sorry I just do not accept his comment at all

There have been multiple errors by many, not least of all Biden, and it would be correct to widen your accusation to more than one missed phone call
  • Options

Sturgeon, Harvie and Slater asked (“yes or no”) if they agree with the Cambo oil field.

Slater says not a devolved matter but acknowledges FM’s change of direction on it.

Says “hands tied” while Scotland not independent....

Never seen the SNP and Green leaderships so reluctant to talk about reserved matters

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1428717836898381827?s=20

Almost like they know any decision will upset people so their desire is to move the whole decision elsewhere.

Personally were I the UK Government I would be saying "we are following the preferred option of the Scottish FM and rejecting the application".
  • Options
    eek said:

"Those MPs put more effort into saving Raab's job (by picking up their phones) than Raab put into saving those in Afghanistan."

That is also true
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Just to recap, the chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff, Gen Mark Milley, thinks his soldiers should read Critical Race Theory, and he personally is trying to understand ‘White Rage’, while the chief of the UK defence staff, General Sir Nick Carter, thinks the Taliban are ‘country boys’ with ‘honour’ who want an ‘inclusive’ new government

And we wonder why the West is in retreat. The Chinese must piss themselves laughing on a daily basis

Do you know what Critical Race Theory is?
    Yes. I know exactly what it is. And it is pernicious bullshit
    Can you distill it for us?
    I thought he already had done that, did you miss the "pernicious bullshit" bit.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Just to recap, the chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff, Gen Mark Milley, thinks his soldiers should read Critical Race Theory, and he personally is trying to understand ‘White Rage’, while the chief of the UK defence staff, General Sir Nick Carter, thinks the Taliban are ‘country boys’ with ‘honour’ who want an ‘inclusive’ new government

And we wonder why the West is in retreat. The Chinese must piss themselves laughing on a daily basis

We Are All Guilty.

See also Antonio Gramsci.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Looks like truth to me.
  • Options

Opening a state-of-the-art cancer unit in Cumbria is great news. But to call it a new hospital, as Sajid Javid and the DHSC have done, is a blatant lie. This is important because we have the right to hold governments to account for their manifesto promises. If this cancer unit is deemed one of the 40 'new' hospitals promised by 2030, that promise will be much easier to keep as they could, in theory, just add 40 new units to existing hospitals. The new cancer unit is a small fraction of the cost of a new 'hospital'.

It's just strange, and unnecessary, to lie about it, as the pile-on below the DHSC announcement suggests, and actually distracts from a good news story about improved cancer services, so it's poor politics as well:

I do not know whether it is a few wards in an existing building or a complete new detached stand alone facility

If in the existing building then it is just wrong, but if it is a completely new and independent facility then that is different
  • Options

It's just strange, and unnecessary, to lie about it, as the pile-on below the DHSC announcement suggests, and actually distracts from a good news story about improved cancer services:

Trouble is that it's not strange. It's par for the course, certainly for our current Prime Minister and those he is appointing and forming in his image. (And there have always been politicians whose understanding of the truth is "the most attractive thing I can say that can't be unambiguously proved false"... but generally they've been blackballed on the way up because they're so damn dangerous. I wonder what goes through the minds of those who say "I know he lies, but that's fine because he's delivering what I want." How can you trust what he says he's delivering- you know he lies.)

And it's probably necessary. Even if the last eighteen months hadn't happened, FORTY NEW HOSPITALS was always going to be tricky to do. So there was always likely to be some finessing needed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

Another new hospital opening today, I've just made my lunch

What new hospital?

It's a new cancer ward in an existing hospital..
    When you say the word "ward" I think a room with a few beds in it. This sounds a bit more substantial than that.
    OK a dozen beds constitutes a new hospital in your Tory fantasy.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited August 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

We Are All Guilty.

See also Antonio Gramsci.
    It is ironic that people try to distill into simplicity a theory that places complexity at its core:

"The basic tenets of CRT include that racism and disparate racial outcomes are the result of complex, changing, and often subtle social and institutional dynamics, rather than explicit and intentional prejudices in individuals.[9][10] CRT scholars view race and white supremacy as an intersectional social construct,[9] which serves to uphold the interests of white people[11] at the expense of marginalized communities.[12][13][14] In the field of legal studies, CRT emphasizes that formally colorblind laws can be applied in racially discriminatory ways.[15] A key CRT concept is intersectionality, which emphasizes that race can intersect with other identities (such as gender and class) to produce complex combinations of power and advantage.[16]"

What is there that anyone can realistically dispute about this?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Charles said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

I agree with you, but then I looked him up. His parents were refugees with average jobs, he didn't work in particularly high paying jobs and he didn't appear to marry money so could be a valid question, although generally I don't think it's any of my business.
    I've no interest in defending Raab, but doesn't he also get a ministerial salary on top of his MP's salary? So, his actual salary would be around £150k? Still £40k would be a big chunk of that.
    Yes and his wife would have a good salary also. I think the original tweet was flawed but still I think we need to be open about the funds of those that govern us and that does seem a punchy holiday which stupidly will raise such questions, particularly even in E&W.
    FWIW, my daughter proposed a Christmas holiday yesterday. We googled and it was going to be £6k pp inclusive of flights.

Wait, can’t you do a double Airmiles purchase?
  • Options

I do not know whether it is a few wards in an existing building or a complete new detached stand alone facility

If in the existing building then it is just wrong, but if it is a completely new and independent facility then that is different
    It's a new cancer unit attached to an existing hospital. Many hospitals have discrete cancer units. A cancer unit is not a hospital in my use of the English language. It's a cancer unit.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

When you say the word "ward" I think a room with a few beds in it. This sounds a bit more substantial than that.
    How’s Indy looking now big fella ?
  • Options
    eek said:

Alistair said:

Scotland 3,613 cases, 10.6% positivity

More than double last Friday's 1,516:

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1428704380291796994?s=20

On the brighter side, deaths still flat-ish
    Deaths are a lagging indicator - give it 10 days or so and deaths will start to reflect the higher number of cases.
    Carlotta will be dancing with joy at being able to post such numbers
  • Options
    NEW: England’s Euros final against Italy was a super-spreader event.

Government data crunch suggests **2,295** people had Covid in and around Wembley. And another **3,404** caught it. Big numbers.
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1428732085905285120/photo/1
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

I think its a decent sized development, not just a 'lick of pain' job.

https://ncic.nhs.uk/trust/projects-and-campaigns/cancer-centre

Still not a new hospital though...
  • Options

It's a new cancer unit attached to an existing hospital. Many hospitals have discrete cancer units. A cancer unit is not a hospital in my use of the English language. It's a cancer unit.
    Fair enough though if it takes all cancer treatment away from the hospital and is dedicated to cancer solely, it should be described as such

And I may suggest the locals will be delighted
  • Options
    eek said:

Sturgeon, Harvie and Slater asked (“yes or no”) if they agree with the Cambo oil field.

Slater says not a devolved matter but acknowledges FM’s change of direction on it.

Says “hands tied” while Scotland not independent....

Never seen the SNP and Green leaderships so reluctant to talk about reserved matters

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1428717836898381827?s=20

Almost like they know any decision will upset people so their desire is to move the whole decision elsewhere.

Personally were I the UK Government I would be saying "we are following the preferred option of the Scottish FM and rejecting the application".
    That would be very smart politics so the govt won’t do it
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

There have been multiple errors by many, not least of all Biden, and it would be correct to widen your accusation to more than one missed phone call
    I agree that a lot more people than just Raab are tarred with the brush of incompitence here. Which organisation allows both the Boss and the No 2 to go on holiday at the same time? Also, it seems that there have been rumblings of Taliban taking regional capitals for a few weeks up to the fateful day. Do we have any compitent ministers/civil servants in key positions in Defence and Foreign Office? I think even Sir Humphrey Appleby will have resigned over this. Even Carrington resigned and Nott offered his resignation over the Falklands.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Foxy said:

Bet you thought it was cheap
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

As a matter of interest how many beds has the facility and how much state of the art cancer equipment been installed
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

Even that is more likely than a Tory new hospital
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

Deaths are a lagging indicator - give it 10 days or so and deaths will start to reflect the higher number of cases.
    Mate, you’re bang out of order. Whatever our politics people won’t want anyone catching Covid, it’s unpleasant, going to hospital or losing their lives especially for political gain.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

I think its a decent sized development, not just a 'lick of pain' job.

https://ncic.nhs.uk/trust/projects-and-campaigns/cancer-centre

Still not a new hospital though...
    Yes, that's right. The cost of this cancer unit is £35M. A new hospital would cost at least 30 times that, at a guess. My local hospital is undergoing a complete rebuild/refurbishment - still 3 years to go, but already cost £600M. So the cancer unit is great, but it's chicken feed compared to a new hospital.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    edited August 2021

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Sure, there has been incompetence over Afghanistan at home and abroad across broad areas of politics, military, intelligence and diplomacy. Raab is not uniquely incompetent or uninterested, though one does have to search quite hard to think of any notable contribution to foreign policy that he has made during his time in post.

Of course the ongoing merger of FCO and DFID, which made all senior staff think more of their CVs than the day job didn't help, but that was more of a Johnson thing. Raab was just the sucker tasked with implementing it.
  • Options

It is a barefaced lie, can you Tories never accept the truth. How do you sleep at night.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

In the words of AP, that was just a noise.

Do you think the new regime in Holyrood brings Indy closer or not as there is clearly a large pro Indy majority now.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    kjh said:

Taz said:

As I did , but mine was with the FAS.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    "I am determined there will be an independence referendum in this Parliament... this agreement reiterates that"

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says power-sharing deal makes it "impossible" for UK government to block vote on "democratic basis"

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1428720127768473603?s=20
  • Options

Fair enough though if it takes all cancer treatment away from the hospital and is dedicated to cancer solely, it should be described as such

You will need two shovels shortly, Australia says hello.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It is a barefaced lie, can you Tories never accept the truth. How do you sleep at night.
    Hi Malc

I do not know the development but it looks like a substantial facility

And I sleep well

All the best
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

Mate, you’re bang out of order. Whatever our politics people won’t want anyone catching Covid, it’s unpleasant, going to hospital or losing their lives especially for political gain.
    I know two people who have died of COVID - one elderly, one in their forties, so the only "dancing with joy" is going on in a Nats' head.....
  • Options

Gosh you're hard work sometimes. I started off this discussion by saying a new cancer unit was "great news". But it isn't a new hospital and never will be, so Sajid and the DHSC are lying. Lying sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't. I think this is an instance of the latter, because it's just too blatant. It's poor politics. See the reactions on the DHSC thread.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

Sure, there has been incompetence over Afghanistan at home and abroad across broad areas of politics, military, intelligence and diplomacy. Raab is not uniquely incompetent or uninterested, though one does have to search quite hard to think of any notable contribution to foreign policy that he has made during his time in post.

Of course the ongoing merger of FCO and DFID, which made all senior staff think more of their CVs than the day job didn't help, but that was more of a Johnson thing. Raab was just the sucker tasked with implementing it.
    I think that is fair comment
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    edited August 2021
    On the hospital thing, while it's likely just blatant and foolish political oversell, the term 'hospital' does get misused. I have worked with people who claim to work at Leeds Children's Hospital and use that affiliation on papers. In fact they work (physcially) in one of the Children's departments at Leeds General Infirmary.

Not only them, the Leeds NHS Trust refers to a Children's Hospital (and shows it located at LGI) and there are plans to build an actual children's hospital, but it does not exist yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    United Kingdom Daily Coronavirus (COVID-19) Report · Friday 20th August.

37,314 new cases (people positive) reported, giving a total of 6,429,147.

114 new deaths reported, giving a total of 131,487. https://t.co/H8dDaTRIIW

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1428734326611615752?s=19
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

As a matter of interest how many beds has the facility and how much state of the art cancer equipment been installed
    You said it was a new hospital , surely you have all the facts at hand given you are vehemently supporting the contention that it is indeed a new hospital.
    But just for you
    Work on a new multi-million-pound oncology unit at the Cumberland Infirmary has been completed
    The new centre boasts two linear accelerator radiotherapy machines, a chemotherapy day unit with 15 treatment chairs and three single treatment rooms, a CT scanner suite, examination rooms and a small café area along with multipurpose rooms for complementary therapies and patient support
  • Options

Cancer was treated in the hospital before, so all it's doing is adding new facilities to an existing service.
  • Options

Gosh you're hard work sometimes. I started off this discussion by saying a new cancer unit was "great news". But it isn't a new hospital and never will be, so Sajid and the DHSC are lying. Lying sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't. I think this is an instance of the latter, because it's just too blatant. It's poor politics. See the reactions on the DHSC thread.
    To be fair my wife says the same thing !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

In the words of AP, that was just a noise.

Do you think the new regime in Holyrood brings Indy closer or not as there is clearly a large pro Indy majority now.
    NO , it changes nothing other than two sets of rogues getting together to ensure they get GRA through , that is their key priority.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

eek said:

What new hospital?

You said it was a new hospital , surely you have all the facts at hand given you are vehemently supporting the contention that it is indeed a new hospital.
    But just for you
    Work on a new multi-million-pound oncology unit at the Cumberland Infirmary has been completed
    The new centre boasts two linear accelerator radiotherapy machines, a chemotherapy day unit with 15 treatment chairs and three single treatment rooms, a CT scanner suite, examination rooms and a small café area along with multipurpose rooms for complementary therapies and patient support
    Thanks Malc
  • Options
    Selebian said:

On the hospital thing, while it's likely just blatant and foolish political oversell, the term 'hospital' does get misused. I have worked with people who claim to work at Leeds Children's Hospital and use that affiliation on papers. In fact they work (physcially) in one of the Children's departments at Leeds General Infirmary.

Not only them, the Leeds NHS Trust refers to a Children's Hospital (and shows it located at LGI) and there are plans to build an actual children's hospital, but it does not exist yet.

Yes, in Leicester we have a "Children's Hospital" which consists of the 4th floor of the LRI, operating theatres on level 2, outpatients on level 1, and a separate Children's Emergency Dept on the Ground floor. It is hospital as a concept rather than as a physical place.

It has been policy for some years that Children's services should be physically separated from adults, across the board. This means that ENT outpatients or Fracture clinics should be either one or the other, but not mixed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited August 2021

"I am determined there will be an independence referendum in this Parliament... this agreement reiterates that"

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says power-sharing deal makes it "impossible" for UK government to block vote on "democratic basis"

I dont quite follow that. I know various uk people have said things around SNP majorities or minorities, but presumably the same number of MSPs would have voted for a referendum without a power share, and the 'democratic basis', and an acceptance or rejection of it, is unaffected?

I mean, either the Scottish parliament wants one or not, and the existence of a deal doesn't affect Boris's response.
  • Options

kjh said:

Taz said:

Yes I meant to mention FAS as well. FAS members were and have been treated even worse than PPF members. I'm involved in the campaign to improve their outcomes.
  • Options
    Opening a new cancer “hospital” in Cumbria might just draw some attention away from Furness General Hospital in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary and Westmorland General Hospital near Kendal all going back into special measures having been found to be inadequate.
  • Options
    Anyway following my granddaughter's excellent A level results, she has passed her driving test first time this morning

So proud of her but the downside is her father has to pay £100 per month to add her, as a named driver, to her Mother's insurance policy
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Foxy said:

England reasonably flat, big increases in Scotland and Wales. Scotland I guess is schools.
  • Options

Good riposte - kudos. (And I think you're slowly, slightly painfully, inching towards agreeing that a new cancer unit isn't in fact a new hospital)
  • Options

Good riposte - kudos. (And I think you're slowly, slightly painfully, inching towards agreeing that a new cancer unit isn't in fact a new hospital)
    Yes I do accept that
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

The wit of a Bourbon courtier. Malc is truly a man out of his time.
  • Options

kjh said:

Taz said:

The hiding of tax rises I don't agree with. Tax rises should be open and transparent. I do remember though that at the time of Brown's tax "raid" the (pink and broad) newspapers were full of it. I don't think it was that hidden.
    But people don't see the effect until they retire. An income tax rise is seen immediately so it is hidden in that respect and they don't know what they have lost when it hits their pension. And of course if it results in entry to the FAS or PPF it can be dramatic, plus prior to that there was the prospect of the loss of your entire pension which was scary.
  • Options

Opening a new cancer “hospital” in Cumbria might just draw some attention away from Furness General Hospital in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary and Westmorland General Hospital near Kendal all going back into special measures having been found to be inadequate.

That is a different NHS Trust, I think.

There is a real problem with quality of care in smaller hospitals, which will never have the broad range of specialists on site. This needs to be balanced against accessibility for local people in areas where travel is difficult.
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

Piss off, my wife almost died of it and still not fully recovered almost 2 years on, but you don't see me gleefully posting exclusively about how high rates are in England only. Carlotta is delighted to post anything negative about Scotland and does it constantly , never yet to see a positive nor any gloating on England.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Taz said:

Yes I meant to mention FAS as well. FAS members were and have been treated even worse than PPF members. I'm involved in the campaign to improve their outcomes.
    @squareroot2 also I should have said that I am sorry you are in FAS. Are you badly hit or have come out alright? Are you involved in the campaign for justice? Have you been following the court cases,?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

England reasonably flat, big increases in Scotland and Wales. Scotland I guess is schools.
    Bad guess I think as majority of schools did not start till middle of this week
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I dont quite follow that. I know various uk people have said things around SNP majorities or minorities, but presumably the same number of MSPs would have voted for a referendum without a power share, and the 'democratic basis', and an acceptance or rejection of it, is unaffected?

I mean, either the Scottish parliament wants one or not, and the existence of a deal doesn't affect Boris's response.
    Exactly , just bollox
  • Options
    eek said:

Cancer was treated in the hospital before, so all it's doing is adding new facilities to an existing service.
    Yes , just closed a Victorian building and built a new facility / ward / pseudo hospital in the grounds.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    felix said:

kle4 said:

Of course they did. Whoever does it should be mocked. Some examples take more piss than others.
    Do you have a source for when Labour redefined hospital to mean ward?
    It must hurt so much when your party cannot gain traction....despite all the bad news. Could it be they're just really crap?
    Scottish Tories wave..
This discussion has been closed.