Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Foreign Sec Raab now 19% second favourite in the next Cabinet exit betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Is a big part of the solution just an end to our reliance on Saudi oil?

How much of the Wahhabism that spreads across Iran, Syria, Pakistan and Afghanistan is simply fuelled by their money, which is really our money since we buy so much crude from them?

We, as in the UK buy an insignificant 0.6% of their oil exports. Western Europe collectively buys about 12% of their oil exports.

Over 60% goes to Japan, China, S Korea and India.

Not sure how we, however defined, are supposed to stop that trade without a world war developing.
    Interesting, I thought it was mainly the yanks.

The point is that as the world decarbonises there goes Saudis business model. No-one will give a shit anymore.

Of course, in addition to not funding anything it might simply become a civil war ridden hell-hole (like Yemen) or bought up by China, but it also might not have much money to export or propagate extreme Islamism outwith its borders.
    US weaned themselves off Saudi oil a number of years ago. For the oil they need, their own via fracking has been revolutionary, there is also still traditional oil and via tar sands of Canada.
    It doesn't matter at this point. The ideology is out of the bag. There are enough adherents to the thing that it will spread on its own through online cesspools, with or without Saudi cash. Triply so when the Western left and centre won't stand up against the fundamentals of the ideology as that is "criticizing Islam".
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

This site is going to be absolutely lit the weekend Taiwan falls.

I think they'll hold out a bit longer than that.
    No worries - we’ll still have the endless tag teaming about Scottish Indy from the usuals
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:
    Absolutely no change in the poll then

And on would you support an increase in energy bills to fund more renewable energy and lower carbon emissions

Support 30%

Oppose 52%

D/K 18%
    Given the news is regularly full of stuff about the evils of climate change ad it regularly crops up on magazine shows and breakfast TV as an issue I am amazed this is not the other way.
    Shows there is little mileage in pushing a green agenda if it means higher energy bills, carbon taxes, higher fuel bills and congestion charge zones outside of wealthy metropolitan areas.

We do still new to continue the push to renewables however and we are doing relatively well on that
    Some of us are.

'Scotland has narrowly missed a target to generate the equivalent of 100% of its electricity demand from renewables in 2020. New figures reveal it reached 97.4% from renewable sources.'

'Renewables provided a record 43% of the UK’s electricity last year, up from 37% in 2019, according to UK Government statistics.'
    Only 29% of global energy comes from renewables
    https://www.iea.org/reports/global-energy-review-2021/renewables

Scotland is part of the UK and contributes to that above average UK figure
    And stiffed for the privilege, win-win, or lose-lose as it's known north of Carlisle.

That’ll be one of those “Union Dividends”.
    You do know that subsamples are a load of crap....
    Huh? The topic was electricity transmission charges. But feel free to have a wee rant.

For your information, PB headers are regularly based on analysis of sub-samples.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    I'm curious to see what ends first: the pandemic, or Skyrim re-releases.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Scottish sub-sample:

SNP 53%
    SGP 3%
    Pro-independence government 56%

SCon 22%
    SLab 15%
    SLD 5%
    BetterTogether2 42%

oth 1% (presumably Alba)

Then factor in that 40% of SLab voters are pro-independence.
    Meanwhile, back in the real world, the Tories gain a Council seat from the SNP. No evidence here of a huge Pro-Indy swing. The baseline is the 2017 council elections which took place a few weeks before the General Election when the SNP lost over 20 seats and knocked back Nicola's indyref plans.

Mid-Formartine (Aberdeenshire) by-election, first preferences:

Conservative ~ 1480 (45.7%, +11.1)
    SNP ~ 1205 (37.2%, +11.4)
    Lib Dem ~ 412 (12.7%, +3.3)
    Green ~ 144 (4.4%, +4.4)

(Note: Candidates from 2017 not present had 30.1%)

Calling it a “gain” is highly misleading. The Tories topped the poll in 2017 too.

Actually a significant swing TO the Scottish Government parties.
    I agree it's not a "real" Tory gain in the Scottish electoral system.

But aren't you going a bit far with "significant swing"? The reality seems to be that people who voted for various indies in 2017 split in various directions.

I'd not take anything at all from this result about the way the wind is blowing - it's an unsurprising result of the sort you'd expect from the area.
    Agreed. But it is really quite pathetic when Unionists regularly misrepresent the results of Scottish by elections. STV makes analysis fiendishly difficult.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    'It is humiliating to have British and French troops go into Kabul to rescue their citizens while American troops are ordered to stay hidden in the airport. Is this what the Biden-Austin-Milley “Woke” military will be like—timid, ineffective, unable to get the job done'
    https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1428698660691447809?s=20
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

No worries - we’ll still have the endless tag teaming about Scottish Indy from the usuals
    And you bleating about it.

Some things are eternal.
  • Options
    isam said:

Con Maj still drifting, now 24/19

Do what you like, but posting moves of less than 1% on markets that aren’t going to settle for 2-3 years does seem a bit ridiculous.

As does calling it 24/19!!!
    Yeah yeah. If that price was shortening you’d see Raab fans pointing out the move.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

I'm curious to see what ends first: the pandemic, or Skyrim re-releases.

We'll never get a new (proper) Elder Scrolls if they keep making money on Skyrim.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    2397 cases in NI :o !
    That's a UK equivalent of 86.5k
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'It is humiliating to have British and French troops go into Kabul to rescue their citizens while American troops are ordered to stay hidden in the airport. Is this what the Biden-Austin-Milley “Woke” military will be like—timid, ineffective, unable to get the job done'

A good example of woke over usage. It can mean different things to different people but that just looks like adding it to something unrelated.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Is a big part of the solution just an end to our reliance on Saudi oil?

How much of the Wahhabism that spreads across Iran, Syria, Pakistan and Afghanistan is simply fuelled by their money, which is really our money since we buy so much crude from them?

The Taliban are primarily Deobandi not Wahhabi. Completely different.
    Is it?

"Since the late 1970s, the movement is said to have been influenced by Wahhabism in Afghanistan and Pakistan.[3] From the early 1980s to the early 2000s some Deobandis were heavily funded by Saudi Arabia."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deobandi
    I can understand your confusion if your primary source for study of the Islam is Wiki-fucking-pedia.

Deobandi are from the Hanafi madhhab of the Sunni fiqh. Wahhabi are from the Hanbali madhhab.

Apart from the doctrinal differences Wahhabi is a top down state sponsored movement fuelled by Saudi petro dollars. Deobandi has a more communitarian movement based on local sponsors and a network of madrassas.

The UK is probably going to be a majority muslim country in your lifespan so you really need to get on top of this shit. Disappointing.
    2.7% 2001 census
    4.4% 2011 census
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: One in 80 people in England had COVID in latest week according to the Office for National Statistics.

The ONS reports 698,100 people within the community in England had COVID-19 in the week ending 14 August

Read more here: https://trib.al/lxQtlJb https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1428679174319972356/video/1

1 in 80 just this week. This has been going for 80 weeks. At what point will EVERYONE either have had the bug, been vaxxed, or both? Unless reinfection is a real issue, or the vaccines seriously wane, surely this burns out soon?
    It has burned out.

That's why people are banging on about Afghanistan.
    I wish someone could tell the 135 folk clogging up our wards including 21 on ICU that is burned out and that they can go home and stop wasting out time.
    What's the vaxxed/unvaxxed split ?
    Not for the first time, Dura Ace is talking bollocks.

The UK will become majority mixed race, but that's about 2200 to 2220 and quite a different point (Muslims will be nothing like a majority).
    Extrapolating a population trend 200 years leads to... no information. 200 years from now every aspect of society will be radically different.
    The only remaining religions of any size in 2220 will be the Buddhists, Trumpites, Jedis and Scientologists. I am pretty confident in this, in fact I am willing to lay 5/1 that this is not the case. Stakes up front, of course.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

On current form Westminster and Whitehall will wake up when the five starred red flag is fluttering from the Eiffel tower.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, possibly. I think Microsoft want an Elder Scrolls VI as a console exclusive, though.

But the wait is ridiculous, especially given the Fallout 76 nonsense. I'm quite intrigued by Obsidian's Avowed, (think Elder Scrolls meets the world of Pillars of Eternity) which is also likely to be an exclusive.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

isam said:

Con Maj still drifting, now 24/19

Do what you like, but posting moves of less than 1% on markets that aren’t going to settle for 2-3 years does seem a bit ridiculous.

As does calling it 24/19!!!
    Yeah yeah. If that price was shortening you’d see Raab fans pointing out the move.
    Do you really think so? I doubt it

Maybe if it shortened from 6/4 to EVS or something, but the moves you are reporting are so small it’s a waste of time. You can move the price in a tenner anyway

And 24/19??? No
  • Options
    Dont Microsoft frequently bluster about console exclusives then make them pc too? Silly buggers
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, sounds nicer than "Not PS5" though.

Some Halo fans are pleased by that trend.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

A good example of woke over usage. It can mean different things to different people but that just looks like adding it to something unrelated.
    For many on the right, woke just means people they dont like or agree with. It is a bit like writing an insult or argument in partial caps lock, it becomes INFINITELY more persuasive when woke is added sporadically.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Fact check: Sajid Javid says Dominic Raab, who didn't understand the significance of Dover, didn't read the Good Friday Agreement, and resigned over the deal he negotiated, is one of the "most effective ministers" he has "ever worked with".

Sadly, true.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58277008
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    Radical progressive

Wow! Check this exclusion from the SNP/Green proposed deal:

"While we have agreed to work together to take forward a programme of education reform, private fee-paying independent schools are excluded from this
    agreement."

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1428706242583728128?s=20
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

maaarsh said:

MattW said:

Executioners of Geronimo, the condemned alpaca, may arrive to find it hidden among four identical animals in a field

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1428422171664306177?s=20

Who presumably may have become infected and also need to be culled?

That sounds like the sort of activity for which there could be an obscure criminal offence.
    If they really have anonomysed live stock which are supposed to be subject to tracing then they sound ripe for having any licenses removed and all stock safely disposed of.
    I think they are all eartagged, microchipped and DNAed, so good luck with the anonymization.
    Not sure that that is the case for animals not in the food chain.
    Maybe a visiting delegation of local cattle farmers would reinforce the point.
  • Options
    Bit of a weak front page given the serious stuff going on right now, you could say

Headline made me laugh, but Anne Widdecombe & Christopher Biggins are furious!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15915644/theatre-upsetting-romeo-juliet-samaritans/amp/
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    On topic I wonder if Ben Wallace could be the next to go. Not because he will be fired, but resigns. He is doing a stirring effort in defending the Govt position, but he has also appeared very unhappy about what happened. I wonder if he is the sort who although he might want to resign is also someone who doesn't do so when there is a problem that needs sorting first. He seems genuinely upset by what has happened.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited August 2021
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

'Woke' has a simple meaning: 'something I disapprove of', more specifically 'something done or approved of by my opponent who is somewhere to the left of me/more socially liberal than me politically'

I do like the implications that:
    (i) The British military is not 'woke'. I thought everything in British was woke nowadays?
    (ii) Biden has transformed the military in 8 months. That's incredible (in the literal sense).

If the alleged contrast between French/British and US military actions is true, it might be more reasonable to say that the US military are more snoozing than woke.
  • Options
    kjh said:

On topic I wonder if Ben Wallace could be the next to go. Not because he will be fired, but resigns. He is doing a stirring effort in defending the Govt position, but he has also appeared very unhappy about what happened. I wonder if he is the sort who although he might want to resign is also someone who doesn't do so when there is a problem that needs sorting first. He seems genuinely upset by what has happened.

Good shout, seems plausible and Bozo doesnt like sacking anyone so it may well be a resignation next.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Aslan said:

Scott_xP said:

This isn't a defence from Dominic Raab - it's a shameful admission of his own failure to act.

It is unbelievable that even now the Foreign Secretary is wasting time making excuses when a catastrophe is still unfolding in front of our eyes.
    https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/1428672668983873545

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1428692554850177033

Darren Grimes, Andrew Neil, Kate Hoey - the recommendations generated by that tweet read like a Who's Who of the British hard Right.
    Andrew Neil hard right? Don't be ridiculous.
    Nice one!
  • Options
    kjh said:

Was 16/1 with Hills
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    isam said:

Bit of a weak front page given the serious stuff going on right now, you could say

Headline made me laugh, but Anne Widdecombe & Christopher Biggins are furious!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15915644/theatre-upsetting-romeo-juliet-samaritans/amp/

When I saw this story this morning, I assumed it was to do with the story being about paedophilia. Apparently not.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109

Dura_Ace said:

On current form Westminster and Whitehall will wake up when the five starred red flag is fluttering from the Eiffel tower.
    It's already in the Raabster's office!

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Aslan said:

Scott_xP said:

This isn't a defence from Dominic Raab - it's a shameful admission of his own failure to act.

It is unbelievable that even now the Foreign Secretary is wasting time making excuses when a catastrophe is still unfolding in front of our eyes.
    https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/1428672668983873545

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1428692554850177033

Darren Grimes, Andrew Neil, Kate Hoey - the recommendations generated by that tweet read like a Who's Who of the British hard Right.
    Andrew Neil hard right? Don't be ridiculous.
    True, more a sort of soft, flabby right :wink:
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Looks like the Celtic fringe are all now well on to wave 4. Hopefully they keep it to themselves.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Hungarian air force Globemaster latest to enter Afghanistan, from Tbilisi. didnt realise they had much of a presence there.
  • Options
    Dominic Raab finally joins the MPs Foreign Affairs WhatApp group after being in the job two years
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/15920968/dominic-raab-finally-joins-tory-foreign-affairs-group/
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Considering China is over the other side of the world from us almost the whole world would be under Beijing rule if it got that far, it would be the biggest Empire there has ever been
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

And you bleating about it.

Some things are eternal.
    Id appreciate a bit of diversity of discussion, if only to avoid you having to refer to the odd ‘revealing of assholes’ comment that you seemed to enjoy recently
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    HYUFD said:

Newt Gingrich as a reliable impartial source, well there's a first.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: One in 80 people in England had COVID in latest week according to the Office for National Statistics.

The ONS reports 698,100 people within the community in England had COVID-19 in the week ending 14 August

Read more here: https://trib.al/lxQtlJb https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1428679174319972356/video/1

1 in 80 just this week. This has been going for 80 weeks. At what point will EVERYONE either have had the bug, been vaxxed, or both? Unless reinfection is a real issue, or the vaccines seriously wane, surely this burns out soon?
    It has burned out.

That's why people are banging on about Afghanistan.
    I wish someone could tell the 135 folk clogging up our wards including 21 on ICU that is burned out and that they can go home and stop wasting out time.
    How many are vaccinated vs unvaccinated?

Without meaning to sound harsh, but sick people being on wards is kind of where they're supposed to be and if this virus is endemic now then there'll always be some on wards, but if there's only a relatively few people there then its pretty much burnt out as much as it will do surely? How many people are on ICU in normal circumstances?

21 people when there's no legal restrictions on socialisations at all anymore doesn't sound like the end of the world.
  • Options
    A new "hospital" opening today. The Tories have redefined the term hospital to mean ward
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

A new "hospital" opening today. The Tories have redefined the term hospital to mean ward

They deserve to be mocked for this. Its as bad as 'new' money announcements that are partly already announced money.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    edited August 2021

@BritainElects
    ·
    Oakham South (Rutland) by-election result:

LDEM: 67.8% (+9.8)
    CON: 32.2% (-9.8)

Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative.

*Seat is multi-member. Prev Con seat was second placed candidate.

@BritainElects

Primrose (Ribble Valley) by-election result:

LDEM: 43.9% (-16.5)
    CON: 26.1% (+10.4)
    LAB: 23.9% (-0.1)
    GRN: 6.1% (+6.1)

Liberal Democrat HOLD.

@BritainElects
    ·

Littlemoor (Ribble Valley) by-election result:

LDEM: 49.0% (-8.9)
    CON: 37.7% (+14.1)
    LAB: 10.3% (-8.2)
    GRN: 3.0% (+3.0)

Liberal Democrat HOLD.

@BritainElects
    ·

East Wolds and Coastal (East Riding of Yorkshire) by-election result:

CON: 54.0% (-2.3)
    LAB: 20.3% (+7.2)
    YORK: 15.7% (+15.7)
    GRN: 6.4% (-24.2)
    LDEM: 3.6% (+3.6)

Conservative HOLD.

DELETED
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Dura_Ace said:

I wonder if Nicola has the Russian flag hidden away? Putin is very in favour of Scottish independence I understand.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scotland 3,613 cases, 10.6% positivity
  • Options
    Operation Prop Up Raab has begun.

FCO minister James Cleverly and Raab's former boss David Davis have both hit the tweet button describing him as a workaholic.

https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/1428713439036334080
  • Options
    Another new hospital opening today, I've just made my lunch
  • Options
    Alistair said:

More than double last Friday's 1,516:

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1428704380291796994?s=20

On the brighter side, deaths still flat-ish
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Considering China is over the other side of the world from us almost the whole world would be under Beijing rule if it got that far, it would be the biggest Empire there has ever been
    That assumes it is contiguous.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:
    Absolutely no change in the poll then

And on would you support an increase in energy bills to fund more renewable energy and lower carbon emissions

Support 30%

Oppose 52%

D/K 18%
    Given the news is regularly full of stuff about the evils of climate change ad it regularly crops up on magazine shows and breakfast TV as an issue I am amazed this is not the other way.
    Shows there is little mileage in pushing a green agenda if it means higher energy bills, carbon taxes, higher fuel bills and congestion charge zones outside of wealthy metropolitan areas.

We do still new to continue the push to renewables however and we are doing relatively well on that
    Some of us are.

'Scotland has narrowly missed a target to generate the equivalent of 100% of its electricity demand from renewables in 2020. New figures reveal it reached 97.4% from renewable sources.'

'Renewables provided a record 43% of the UK’s electricity last year, up from 37% in 2019, according to UK Government statistics.'
    Only 29% of global energy comes from renewables
    https://www.iea.org/reports/global-energy-review-2021/renewables

Scotland is part of the UK and contributes to that above average UK figure
    And stiffed for the privilege, win-win, or lose-lose as it's known north of Carlisle.

That’ll be one of those “Union Dividends”.
    You do know that subsamples are a load of crap....
    Huh? The topic was electricity transmission charges. But feel free to have a wee rant.

For your information, PB headers are regularly based on analysis of sub-samples.
    Only in your dreams.. you were posting about subsamples upthread about the SNP.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749

Dura_Ace said:

I wonder if Nicola has the Russian flag hidden away? Putin is very in favour of Scottish independence I understand.
    Pleased to see he's still using Sir Edward Grey's telephonic apparatus.
  • Options

They deserve to be mocked for this. Its as bad as 'new' money announcements that are partly already announced money.
    Of course Labour never did this....
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Pulpstar said:

2397 cases in NI :o !
    That's a UK equivalent of 86.5k

NEVER !
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Good 'photo of a phone call' action. Wide shot, flags, lighting and a dynamic 'I'm in serious mode' pose.
  • Options

Gordon Brown was so useless he announced a spending increase of 0% once.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

You’re wrong. There is an explicit accusation of very definite Wokeness against Chief of Staff Milley

‘America’s top general defends study of critical race theory by military
    • Gen Mark Milley says he wants to understand ‘white rage’’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/24/critical-race-theory-general-mark-milley-defence-military

The man was checking his White Privilege as he was handing over Bagram. He’s a fucking idiot. America is finished
  • Options

Of course they did. Whoever does it should be mocked. Some examples take more piss than others.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Gosh - never heard of any government ever do anything like that before...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

A "What do you mean, the entire gearbox needs replacing" kind of face.

What do you mean I can't get a refund on my second week at the resort?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    If only MORE American generals had read ‘White Fragility’ they surely wouldn’t be in the mess they now find themselves enduring in Kabul. Critical Race Theory is crucial to understanding urban warfare
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Taz said:

If he only announced it once that was unusual for another reason ....
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    kle4 said:

Of course they did. Whoever does it should be mocked. Some examples take more piss than others.
    Do you have a source for when Labour redefined hospital to mean ward?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Alistair said:

Deaths are a lagging indicator - give it 10 days or so and deaths will start to reflect the higher number of cases.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

You’re wrong. There is an explicit accusation of very definite Wokeness against Chief of Staff Milley

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/24/critical-race-theory-general-mark-milley-defence-military

The man was checking his White Privilege as he was handing over Bagram. He’s a fucking idiot. America is finished
    But what about the Afghan actions is woke?

I'm not one to dismiss the term as pejorative entirely, i think it has its place, but not every action from someone woke is itself woke. And I'd take issue with the idea timidity is part of it, these critical race folk are very untimid unfortunately.
  • Options
    felix said:

I've never known a user as pointless as you.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

What new hospital?

It's a new cancer ward in an existing hospital..
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dont say that, you'll make everyone sympathise with him.
  • Options
    Just to recap, the chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff, Gen Mark Milley, thinks his soldiers should read Critical Race Theory, and he personally is trying to understand ‘White Rage’, while the chief of the UK defence staff, General Sir Nick Carter, thinks the Taliban are ‘country boys’ with ‘honour’ who want an ‘inclusive’ new government

And we wonder why the West is in retreat. The Chinese must piss themselves laughing on a daily basis
  • Options

felix said:

I've never known a user as pointless as you.
    Ouch! Obviously hit a nerve again.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

That’s actually a really positive move that he wants to acknowledge and recognise that. It is part of the healing process and what white Americans need to go through touring their nation to a better place.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It must hurt so much when your party cannot gain traction....despite all the bad news. Could it be they're just really crap?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    eek said:

What new hospital?

It's a new cancer ward in an existing hospital..
    When you say the word "ward" I think a room with a few beds in it. This sounds a bit more substantial than that.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I was referring to the reference to money announcements that are are partly already announced but the specifics hardly matter.

There are many political behaviours that are not partisan behaviours, they are done by everyone, like obfuscation and cherry picking. It's only the degree that changes.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

That’s actually a really positive move that he wants to acknowledge and recognise that. It is part of the healing process and what white Americans need to go through touring their nation to a better place.
    *googles Mandarin Chinese for ‘LOL’*
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Mongols say hi.
  • Options
    eek said:

Alistair said:

Deaths are a lagging indicator - give it 10 days or so and deaths will start to reflect the higher number of cases.
    Depends who the cases are. Strong suspicion its school testing finding not very unwell if at all young people and their generally younger parents.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Just to recap, the chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff, Gen Mark Milley, thinks his soldiers should read Critical Race Theory, and he personally is trying to understand ‘White Rage’, while the chief of the UK defence staff, General Sir Nick Carter, thinks the Taliban are ‘country boys’ with ‘honour’ who want an ‘inclusive’ new government

And we wonder why the West is in retreat. The Chinese must piss themselves laughing on a daily basis

Do you know what Critical Race Theory is?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Mongols say hi.
    If the Chinese conquered everywhere from China to France they would also have conquered most of Europe, Russia, India and the Middle East too and much of Africa.

The Mongols only conquered China, Korea, Persia and much of modern day Russia and the Caucuses
  • Options
    Sturgeon, Harvie and Slater asked (“yes or no”) if they agree with the Cambo oil field.

Slater says not a devolved matter but acknowledges FM’s change of direction on it.

Says “hands tied” while Scotland not independent....

Never seen the SNP and Green leaderships so reluctant to talk about reserved matters

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1428717836898381827?s=20
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm not one to dismiss the term as pejorative entirely, i think it has its place, but not every action from someone woke is itself woke. And I'd take issue with the idea timidity is part of it, these critical race folk are very untimid unfortunately.
    The Afghan action is incompetent, in part because the focus of leadership is engaged on irrelevant issues - that's the accusation.
  • Options
    Taz said:

I had forgotten that. I.will google it...
  • Options
    More effort has been put into saving Raab's job than was put into saving Afghans
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    About to get more expensive to catch Covid in America

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1428712218112233472
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dont say that, you'll make everyone sympathise with him.
    I had a once yearly career meeting with a not much loved prof years ago. Midway, the Mercedes garage rang about the service, and I watched the colour drain from his face, as he weakly croaked 'how much?'. I took great delight in recounting this to most of the rest of the department...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    felix said:

kle4 said:

It must hurt so much when your party cannot gain traction....despite all the bad news. Could it be they're just really crap?
    Could there be any bigger waste of pixels than that sort of content-free My team are the bestest, your team really sucks sort of post?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The Afghan action is incompetent, in part because the focus of leadership is engaged on irrelevant issues - that's the accusation.
    A bit tenuous a connection, not least since woke is used generically as an insult. If only they did keep to specifics. And it sure doesn't seem the principal reason for incompetence so if anything itd help distract from other reasons.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Those "country boys" who believe in being "inclusive":

"The Taliban's true colours: Islamists beat Afghans for carrying the national flag and ban female presenters from TV - as reports describe brutal torture and executions away from the Western media in Kabul"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9911361/Taliban-beat-Afghans-carrying-national-flag-crackdown-protests-sweeping-nation.html
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Yes. I know exactly what it is. And it is pernicious bullshit
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Leon said:

These people probably have masters. The poison is higher up.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    edited August 2021
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I was referring to the reference to money announcements that are are partly already announced but the specifics hardly matter.

There are many political behaviours that are not partisan behaviours, they are done by everyone, like obfuscation and cherry picking. It's only the degree that changes.
    I would agree with the general point, but I think there is a world of difference between "bigging up" a ward into a hospital, and re-announcing funding as "new".

It just treats the electorate as fools and stupid....but then again...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    edited August 2021
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

This is a good article on the subject.

https://unherd.com/2021/08/anti-racism-is-an-american-dream/

"The Godfather of Critical Race Theory
    Unlike today's activists, Derrick Bell wanted to save America
    BY TOMIWA OWOLADE"
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

More effort has been put into saving Raab's job than was put into saving Afghans

That is simply disgusting and an inexcusable comment
  • Options
    Remember the Taliban are just ‘country boys’ with a sense of ‘honour’ and they merely desire a new ‘inclusive’ government. They’ve been on a journey. They probably read ‘Afghan fragility’ at night

In other news they

‘Set a woman on fire in the north for bad cooking’ and they are ‘shipping young women abroad to neighbouring countries in coffins to be used as sex slaves’

https://news.sky.com/story/afghanistan-live-updates-scramble-to-evacuate-diplomats-and-embassy-workers-from-kabul-continues-12385846
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Yes. I know exactly what it is. And it is pernicious bullshit
    Can you distill it for us?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Alistair said:

About to get more expensive to catch Covid in America

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1428712218112233472

Time to get vaccinated.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Not to mention he forgot to link to the original tweet!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

kle4 said:

Could there be any bigger waste of pixels than that sort of content-free My team are the bestest, your team really sucks sort of post?
    Yup - I just read it.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

Scott_xP said:

What effort has been made to saving Afghans?
This discussion has been closed.