Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Our first taste of a packed House of Commons for 17 months – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,971
    TOPPING said:

Perhaps we should look at this outpouring by MPs in the same way as the footie fans going on the rampage at Wembley.

Keep people cooped up for months on end and when they are let out they go a bit bonkers.

Swayne with a flare up his arse deffo a possibility.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Dura_Ace said:

Anybody backing Tugendhat for tory leader is throwing their money away. A Remainer who is also a French citizen? No fucking chance.

Next con leader

Sunak 2/1
    Gove 8/1
    Hunt 16/1
    Javid 16/1
    Raab 16/1
    Patel 20/1
    Dowden 33/1
    Truss 33/1
    Tugendhat 33/1
    Mordaunt 35/1
    55 bar
    The next Tory leadership election and the next general election will not have much to do with Brexit. I’d have Tugenhat in tomorrow because he sees the world as it really it is and isn’t afraid to say what he sees. But I expect his time might only come when China takes Taiwan. We’ll continue with a self defeating transactional view of China and the world until that moment I think.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    mwadams said:
    CNN would call that a mostly peaceful tarring and dragging.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Sandpit said:

mwadams said:
    “They are friendly and good at keeping the traffic flowing!”
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,955
    RIP He was an excellent MP and one of the few Eurosceptic Labour MPs.

Though given his old age rather less sad news than the news Sean Lock died at just 58 today
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Tugendhat was superb. Put money on him to have a serious impact in the party going forward

Genuinely important stuff in parliament at the moment. Feels like a shift in Johnson’s leadership in terms of overall tone and patience running out, and a genuine acknowledgment we cannot rely on America anymore

I’ve not seen a house so directly critical to a US president (Trump excluded). I even agreed with Blackwood

Your post is nonsensical.

Cannot rely on America.

What does that mean? What is the UK's independent policy on Afghan?

More to the point if it's true then are we as a nation looking to triple/quadruple the defence budget? I doubt it.
    And bring back conscription given that the armed forces haven't managed to meet their manpower targets for many years, even as we've shrunk them.
    One of the advantages of conscription is that it would make the electorate extremely reluctant to enter into foreign escapades.
    Like what happened to the Glosters in Korea: many conscripts there.

But the disadvantage is the disproportionate impact on the poor and non-criminal of society (the powerful can evade, or get cushy numbers, and the criminals get rejected).
    My dad was a lieutenant>captain (volunteered) in the Glosters for Korea. I never asked him but I assume that the Glosters was the catch all unit for anyone wanting to sign up for that conflict?
    I don't know much about the Glosters (apart from the 2x cap badges) but that engagement has become military folklore. Your dad will have experienced extraordinary things.
    My dad was a voluble chap but (not unusual among sodjers I gather) pretty quiet on that part of his service. The one thing I remember him saying was that Korean civilians took a hell of a pounding from all sides.

Talked more about his post-Korea stint in Suez where he got up to all sorts of high jinks including smashing up a not legally signed out jeep while pished and barely avoiding a dishonourable discharge.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    Sunak on the Front Bench now
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Sandpit said:

To lighten the mood a little, apparently our favourite student *anker on “holiday” in the ‘Stan, is upset that the British government have transported him to the nearest safe country and told him he’s on his own, that the charter flights onward to the UK are for diplomats and refugees.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9901167/British-student-21-shares-video-aboard-RAF-military-plane.html

The article doesn't say he's upset at being in Dubai ?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Dura_Ace said:

Anybody backing Tugendhat for tory leader is throwing their money away. A Remainer who is also a French citizen? No fucking chance.

Next con leader

Sunak 2/1
    Gove 8/1
    Hunt 16/1
    Javid 16/1
    Raab 16/1
    Patel 20/1
    Dowden 33/1
    Truss 33/1
    Tugendhat 33/1
    Mordaunt 35/1
    55 bar
    The next Tory leadership election and the next general election will not have much to do with Brexit. I’d have Tugenhat in tomorrow because he sees the world as it really it is and isn’t afraid to say what he sees. But I expect his time might only come when China takes Taiwan. We’ll continue with a self defeating transactional view of China and the world until that moment I think.
    If China did take Taiwan (and as I have said before I would not rule out Taiwan getting nuclear weapons as it seems we will not defend it) then we have to ensure that does not become Xi's Anschluss or Sudetenland.

If China then moved onto South Korea and Japan then war involving the West would be inevitable
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088

Sunak on the Front Bench now

Very impressive. Has he spoken yet?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Tugendhat was superb. Put money on him to have a serious impact in the party going forward

Genuinely important stuff in parliament at the moment. Feels like a shift in Johnson’s leadership in terms of overall tone and patience running out, and a genuine acknowledgment we cannot rely on America anymore

I’ve not seen a house so directly critical to a US president (Trump excluded). I even agreed with Blackwood

Cannot rely on America.

More to the point if it's true then are we as a nation looking to triple/quadruple the defence budget? I doubt it.
    And bring back conscription given that the armed forces haven't managed to meet their manpower targets for many years, even as we've shrunk them.
    One of the advantages of conscription is that it would make the electorate extremely reluctant to enter into foreign escapades.

But the disadvantage is the disproportionate impact on the poor and non-criminal of society (the powerful can evade, or get cushy numbers, and the criminals get rejected).
    My dad was a lieutenant>captain (volunteered) in the Glosters for Korea. I never asked him but I assume that the Glosters was the catch all unit for anyone wanting to sign up for that conflict?
    I don't know much about the Glosters (apart from the 2x cap badges) but that engagement has become military folklore. Your dad will have experienced extraordinary things.
    My dad was a voluble chap but (not unusual among sodjers I gather) pretty quiet on that part of his service. The one thing I remember him saying was that Korean civilians took a hell of a pounding from all sides.

Talked more about his post-Korea stint in Suez where he got up to all sorts of high jinks including smashing up a not legally signed out jeep while pished and barely avoiding a dishonourable discharge.
    Almost as if soldiers don't change down the ages...
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    I met Austin Mitchell in the green room of a TV thing once. He was very congenial.

And of course, he was the host of the Clough v. Revie bout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTiIdbDBmZc
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,140
    Calendar TV presenter. Labour MP. But perhaps above all remembered for the Don Revie v Brian Clough interview just after Clough had been sacked by Leeds.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    edited August 2021

Even if one doesn't agree with Tugendhat, it was a powerful speech of the type that HoC sees so rarely in modern times.

It was a powerful speech.

But I'm afraid that his talk of 'strategic patience', and the comparison with South Korea was facile.
    We didn't much engage in any kind of nation building there - just left it to the post-war dictators, and lucked out with Park Chung-hee (who wouldn't be acceptable these days in may different ways).

Strategic patience is simply not possible when nearly three quarters of the US public wanted out and you've already signed a deal to leave.
    The American public now has what it wanted.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/afghanistan-your-fault/619769/
  • Options
    Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Buried in that gem of a @theresa_may speech, this line... Not from Macron. From the last British PM. "What does it say about us, what does it say about NATO if we are entirely dependent on a unilateral decision taken by the United States."

Exactly

Couldn’t that have been said that at anytime in the last 70 years? George Michael wrote a song about it in 2002!

https://youtu.be/ABhZQ_VRbsQ
    I think in terms of it being so blatantly obvious, no. We’ve tended to go along in lock step - this is the first incident I can recall where we’ve been quite so let down by an action that seems to have been made in total isolation by the USA.

If the USA is unable to work multilaterally, then that signals the end of the golden period for USA dominance. It cannot act unilaterally without consequence any longer.
    We have been insignificant lapdogs to the US for generations, militarily. Maybe one good thing to come out if this is that people will realise that now
    "But the special relationship". America has been increasingly bonkers for a good while and is now deep into a cultural civil war with the lunatics desperate for Gilead.

One of the positive things being advocated by Brexiteers is the proposed CANZUK group. It will do sod all to replace trade lost locally, but strategically it could be an alternative to an America-led world where America first really means shitkickers first and try to stop half of America from voting.
    You seem to be so busy attacking the American Right, that you have failed to notice that today's specific issue of unilateral US withdrawal from Afghanistan without proper planning, is entirely owned by a Democrat President.
    Trump was a Democrat?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Even if one doesn't agree with Tugendhat, it was a powerful speech of the type that HoC sees so rarely in modern times.

But I'm afraid that his talk of 'strategic patience', and the comparison with South Korea was facile.
    We didn't much engage in any kind of nation building there - just left it to the post-war dictators, and lucked out with Park Chung-hee (who wouldn't be acceptable these days in may different ways).

Strategic patience is simply not possible when nearly three quarters of the US public wanted out and you've already signed a deal to leave.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/afghanistan-your-fault/619769/
    No longer 3/4, now down to just 49% of the US public backing the withdrawal from 69% in April
    https://morningconsult.com/2021/08/16/afghanistan-withdrawal-taliban-polling/
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Next con leader

Sunak 2/1
    Gove 8/1
    Hunt 16/1
    Javid 16/1
    Raab 16/1
    Patel 20/1
    Dowden 33/1
    Truss 33/1
    Tugendhat 33/1
    Mordaunt 35/1
    55 bar
    Surely Dowden is a comedy entry?
    As is Raab now.
  • Options

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Buried in that gem of a @theresa_may speech, this line... Not from Macron. From the last British PM. "What does it say about us, what does it say about NATO if we are entirely dependent on a unilateral decision taken by the United States."

Exactly

Couldn’t that have been said that at anytime in the last 70 years? George Michael wrote a song about it in 2002!

I think in terms of it being so blatantly obvious, no. We’ve tended to go along in lock step - this is the first incident I can recall where we’ve been quite so let down by an action that seems to have been made in total isolation by the USA.

If the USA is unable to work multilaterally, then that signals the end of the golden period for USA dominance. It cannot act unilaterally without consequence any longer.
    We have been insignificant lapdogs to the US for generations, militarily. Maybe one good thing to come out if this is that people will realise that now
    "But the special relationship". America has been increasingly bonkers for a good while and is now deep into a cultural civil war with the lunatics desperate for Gilead.

One of the positive things being advocated by Brexiteers is the proposed CANZUK group. It will do sod all to replace trade lost locally, but strategically it could be an alternative to an America-led world where America first really means shitkickers first and try to stop half of America from voting.
    You seem to be so busy attacking the American Right, that you have failed to notice that today's specific issue of unilateral US withdrawal from Afghanistan without proper planning, is entirely owned by a Democrat President.
    Trump was a Democrat?
    Indeed he was...once.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Sandpit said:

mwadams said:
    Plenty of London cabbies would be saying that's the sort of 'fing we should be doin' to fieves in our country, guv'nor, they've got the right idea.....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

Almost as if soldiers don't change down the ages...
    I guess not.
    Further to your and DA's meditations on your service, I'd say my father's periods in the navy and army were certainly the most profound and important things to happen to him. This perhaps didn't bode well for his marriages, children and his own subsequent life, but whit can ye do?
  • Options

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?
    It is the Trumpite wing of the GOP and the Biden and Sanders wing of the Democrats who are responsible for this withdrawal.

The Bush-McCain-Romney wing of the GOP and the Hillary Clinton wing of the Democrats and the neocons opposed this withdrawal, the divisions were often interparty not just across party lines
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,426
    mwadams said:

I met Austin Mitchell in the green room of a TV thing once. He was very congenial.

And of course, he was the host of the Clough v. Revie bout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTiIdbDBmZc
    I seem to remember that at one point he changed his name, by deedpoll, to Austin Haddock, in protest at the evisceration of the fishing industry. He was MP for Grimsby and an outspoken Euro-sceptic. Also very funny.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2021
    Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

It can't be, as soon as the abject terms of the deal Trump signed, far more worthy of "surrender bill" than any nonsense Johnson ever talked about in the Commons, are looked at for any length of time.

https://twitter.com/PaulNuki/status/1427247002430197764

Following that, as his former defence secretary Esper said yesterday, Trump appears to have deliberately booby-trapped even this dreadful deal for Biden by pushing for an even faster pullout, and crucially before the Taliban had fulfilled pretty much anything of their half of an already terrible deal, as soon as he lost re-election.

That seens entirely characteristic of him, if we look at his actions in other areas after the election.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

Not it the governing party's voters are mainly well over the age of conscription.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

Inflation at 2% in July and in line with BOE forecast

The price of clothing must have dropped like a stone to over compensate for my £1.36 per litre for diesel this morning.
    Maybe it is difficult to put one litre of diesel in a basket of household essentials. It certainly wouldn't do much for the clothes from Primark. But then again...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,140
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

No longer 3/4, now down to just 49% of the US public backing the withdrawal from 69% in April
    That's on the MO of it and in the immediate aftermath. Once this has died down and is off the front page ask "Should we have stayed?" and I bet you'll get something closer to 0% than 50% for Yes.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

*salutes*
  • Options

Exactly

Has that not been true for about 80 years? What should we plan to do about it? Complaining about the reality is pointless.

If there was an EU army (ha!), would it want to fight in Afghanistan, and would it be effective? I'm guessing not.
    If there were, and it did, it might become so.
    But all that is exceedingly unlikely.
  • Options
    Cracking quote regarding Biden from Tom Tugendhat. What a shame Biden will not get to hear it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Sandpit said:

mwadams said:
    Plenty of London cabbies would be saying that's the sort of 'fing we should be doin' to fieves in our country, guv'nor, they've got the right idea.....
    If he's found guilty, it'll be hands chopped for him - as per 5:38 of the qu'ran
    وَالسَّارِقُ وَالسَّارِقَةُ فَاقْطَعُواْ أَيْدِيَهُمَا جَزَاء بِمَا كَسَبَا نَكَالاً مِّنَ اللّهِ وَاللّهُ عَزِيزٌ حَكِيمٌ
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664

Thread:
    There’s a lot of criticism of Parliament’s #Afghanistan debate recall - of the too little, too late, what’s the point variety. But a lot of this criticism fails to reflect Parliament's purpose and range of functions.....

Today the reputation of politicians is rarely built solely on the basis of their command of the @UKHouseofCommons chamber. But perform badly - fail to rise to the occasion - and reputations can be badly damaged.

The debate is an opportunity for MPs - and the wider public here and internationally - to get some clarity - or not - about the situation on the ground in Afghanistan, about the UK govt's response to the humanitarian situation, and for refugee asylum plans.....

Our model is far from perfect but because of this recall the Prime Minister has to come before MPs and account for his govt’s policy. I haven't seen much evidence of other parliament’s in coalition nations involved in Afghanistan holding their govt's to account this week.

https://twitter.com/RuthFox01/status/1427928965570777090?s=20

I agree. It may not do much, but this is part of the point of parliament.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

To lighten the mood a little, apparently our favourite student *anker on “holiday” in the ‘Stan, is upset that the British government have transported him to the nearest safe country and told him he’s on his own, that the charter flights onward to the UK are for diplomats and refugees.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9901167/British-student-21-shares-video-aboard-RAF-military-plane.html

If he likes danger tourism I'd think experiencing travel difficulties is part of it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

The article doesn't say he's upset at being in Dubai ?
    Hmm, I think they just edited a line out. It said he was pleased to be safe but upset at having to pay for himself to fly home.

We don’t want him in Dubai, that’s for sure. Give him an escort to the Emirates ticket desk!
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,382
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Next con leader

Sunak 2/1
    Gove 8/1
    Hunt 16/1
    Javid 16/1
    Raab 16/1
    Patel 20/1
    Dowden 33/1
    Truss 33/1
    Tugendhat 33/1
    Mordaunt 35/1
    55 bar
    Penny Mordaunt's odds should be shorter. She is the obvious alternative to Rishi should he stumble.
    Was just thinking the same. Also Liz Truss, if Sunak or Raab need replacing. She’s been doing a great job at Trade though, would be a shame for her to lose that role.
    Not sure about Truss. At best she can operate a photocopier/word processor well, considering most of the trade deals are just cut and paste of EU deals.
  • Options
    4 hrs after the jab the sore arm kicks in, curse these dangerous vaccine side effects.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    moonshine said:

Dura_Ace said:

Next con leader

Sunak 2/1
    Gove 8/1
    Hunt 16/1
    Javid 16/1
    Raab 16/1
    Patel 20/1
    Dowden 33/1
    Truss 33/1
    Tugendhat 33/1
    Mordaunt 35/1
    55 bar
    To go with the self-defeating transactional view of Scotland.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    edited August 2021
    Nigelb said:

Exactly

Has that not been true for about 80 years? What should we plan to do about it? Complaining about the reality is pointless.

If there was an EU army (ha!), would it want to fight in Afghanistan, and would it be effective? I'm guessing not.
    I believe that the Germans were the next biggest contingent after the USA of the NATO forces in Afghanistan.

But, yes May is correct. The USA is an unreliable allie.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    kle4 said:

4 hrs after the jab the sore arm kicks in, curse these dangerous vaccine side effects.

Be grateful you have had the jab. The sore arm is nothing when compared to getting covid.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    Priti vs. Macron: Patel has an article in the Telegraph today urging other European countries to follow Britain in accepting refugees. In remarks that appear to respond to French President Emmanuel Macron’s warnings about “irregular migratory flows,” Patel writes: “The U.K. is also doing all it can to encourage other countries to help. Not only do we want to lead by example, we cannot do this alone.” Which, in terms of rhetoric at least, positions Macron somewhere to the right of Britain’s hardcore home secretary on migration.

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/politico-london-playbook-bojo-vs-joe-5-year-wait-fcdoffed-with-raab/
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Next con leader

Sunak 2/1
    Gove 8/1
    Hunt 16/1
    Javid 16/1
    Raab 16/1
    Patel 20/1
    Dowden 33/1
    Truss 33/1
    Tugendhat 33/1
    Mordaunt 35/1
    55 bar
    Penny Mordaunt's odds should be shorter. She is the obvious alternative to Rishi should he stumble.
    Was just thinking the same. Also Liz Truss, if Sunak or Raab need replacing. She’s been doing a great job at Trade though, would be a shame for her to lose that role.
    Not sure about Truss. At best she can operate a photocopier/word processor well, considering most of the trade deals are just cut and paste of EU deals.
    Quite an impressive skillset when compared to Johnson's umbrella operation.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    edited August 2021

The price of clothing must have dropped like a stone to over compensate for my £1.36 per litre for diesel this morning.
    Maybe it is difficult to put one litre of diesel in a basket of household essentials. It certainly wouldn't do much for the clothes from Primark. But then again...
    My local Asda was 1.29 or was last week
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,075

Cracking quote regarding Biden from Tom Tugendhat. What a shame Biden will not get to hear it.

If he did would he care anyway ? Would Johnson care if an obscure US politician commented on him ?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kle4 said:

I had this for weeks, which extraordinarily was suddenly cured by falling into some stinging nettles. Subsequently, and on the advice of an eccentric gardener, I've started deliberately taking a few stings every now and then as a curative to feel better more generally - and amazingly, it works.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?
    It is the Trumpite wing of the GOP and the Biden and Sanders wing of the Democrats who are responsible for this withdrawal.

The Bush-McCain-Romney wing of the GOP and the Hillary Clinton wing of the Democrats and the neocons opposed this withdrawal, the divisions were often interparty not just across party lines
    The "Trumpite wing" of the GOP is 90% of the party.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,599

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

Memory was that the men who fought the last stand of the Glosters included conscripts (and reservists) who were called up to the Reg Depot and were volunteered rather than volunterring to go out East. But I'll have a look for the book I have in mind - couldn't find it on a quick check. Will PM you when I come across it.
  • Options

Exactly

Why? Eurocorps had command of the ISAF mission for two years with French, Bulgarian and Polish troops. Their flounderings were not noticeably worse than the British efforts.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

Not it the governing party's voters are mainly well over the age of conscription.
    But older people usually have children, grandchildren, friends and neighbours. Will they really want to see them mangled and maimed in foreign follies for the sake of pricks like Tony Blair’s career?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Be grateful you have had the jab. The sore arm is nothing when compared to getting covid.
    I may need to work on making my sarcasm more obvious.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I had this for weeks, which extraordinarily was cured by falling into some stinging nettles. Subsequently ,and on the advice of an eccentric gardener, I've started deliberately taking a few stings every now and then since then, as a curative to feel better more generally - and amazingly, it works.
    I bet he's having a giggle and cannot believe you fell for it, but if it works for you I guess!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

But older people usually have children, grandchildren, friends and neighbours. Will they really want to see them mangled and maimed in foreign follies for the sake of pricks like Tony Blair’s career?
    Certainly an incentive to work hard to be favourite child/grandchild.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

If he likes danger tourism I'd think experiencing travel difficulties is part of it.
    Telling the world about his hideaway beforte he was out of Kabul was not the way to avoid difficulties. You'd think he didn't think the Taliban could use a keyboard, never mind search on the net.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?
    Biden has literally said, "the buck stops with me".

He's been in power for eight months, for goodness' sake.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

Memory was that the men who fought the last stand of the Glosters included conscripts (and reservists) who were called up to the Reg Depot and were volunteered rather than volunterring to go out East. But I'll have a look for the book I have in mind - couldn't find it on a quick check. Will PM you when I come across it.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I had this for weeks, which extraordinarily was cured by falling into some stinging nettles. Subsequently ,and on the advice of an eccentric gardener, I've started deliberately taking a few stings every now and then since then, as a curative to feel better more generally - and amazingly, it works.
    I bet he's having a giggle and cannot believe you fell for it, but if it works for you I guess!
    A bit of research subsequently indicated nettle being used in a similar way for millennia, so I suspect not entirely his idea. An eccentric gardener in the best way, though.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

Aren't these the same people who think a bit of ethnic cleansing is a jolly imperial jape? They wouldn't let such trivialities get in the way of that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    As an aside, dock leaves cure the stinging of nettles.

This is the sum total of my herb lore.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Exactly

I believe that the Germans were the next biggest contingent after the USA of the NATO forces in Afghanistan.

But, yes May is correct. The USA is an unreliable allie.
    Yes, after US, Germany had next biggest contingent.

I saw a good table on this and now cannot find it. I think UK was third or fourth. Pro rata I think Denmark had most involvement?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

That's only if they don't have children and grandchildren. As the approved Tory voters must, at least in the Tory Zeitgeist, given the special pampering that wealthy pensioners with children get in inheritance tax allowances.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?

Not so much on this now.

58% of Republican voters now opposed the Afghanistan withdrawal by Biden compared to 69% of Democrats who supported it
  • Options

Which Asda was that? Riyadh.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

Mummy/granny cannot protect you from conscription.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

To The Last Round ?

Andrew Salmon's Scorched Earth, Black Snow was also excellent.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

That's on the MO of it and in the immediate aftermath. Once this has died down and is off the front page ask "Should we have stayed?" and I bet you'll get something closer to 0% than 50% for Yes.
    If it creates an opening for Al Qaeda and other terrorists again Americans by 48% to 35% say the US should not have withdrawan its military presence from Afghanistan
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?

Not so much on this now.

58% of Republican voters now opposed the Afghanistan withdrawal by Biden compared to 69% of Democrats who supported it
    Yes, but now that 58% includes Trump.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

Och, bone spurs and a determined Lewis mammy can go a long way..
  • Options
    Super spreader event?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

No, but we were discussing if they, as the most active part of the electorate, would be more or less in favour of foreign escapades. An estranged grandchild would tug the heartstrings at the prospect less than dear old Johnny/Jane possibly being called up.
  • Options
    Jezbollah speaking from his perch between Ricky Dicky Di Do Burgon and John McDonnell. Mentions his concern for Trade Unionists in Afghanistan. Fails to call for cash for Jihadis. Shame.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?

Yep. He is taking direct ownership of this shit show much to his credit. My point was in response to "entirely owned by a Democrat President" which ignores that this is Trump's plan, claimed by both Trump and the GOP as their success, where they said Biden hadn't withdrawn fast enough in his 8 months.

The buck stops with Biden. But to claim no ownership by Trump is laughable. Trump negotiated this withdrawal with the Taliban - no way to row back on that catastrophic strategic fubar.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

No, but we were discussing if they, as the most active part of the electorate, would be more or less in favour of foreign escapades. An estranged grandchild would tug the heartstrings at the prospect less than dear old Johnny/Jane possibly being called up.
    In modern warfare conscriptees, as the Russians have discovered, are a net negative. They don't provide any useful military capability and require the presence of a lot of regular troops to provide leadership, training and discipline.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Listening to an excerpt from IDS just now, I'm trying to think if senior Tory MPs have ever kicked a sitting American President like this, ever, Democrat or Republican.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

What you need is bone spurs, or in Biden's case asthma.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?

Yep. He is taking direct ownership of this shit show much to his credit. My point was in response to "entirely owned by a Democrat President" which ignores that this is Trump's plan, claimed by both Trump and the GOP as their success, where they said Biden hadn't withdrawn fast enough in his 8 months.

The buck stops with Biden. But to claim no ownership by Trump is laughable. Trump negotiated this withdrawal with the Taliban - no way to row back on that catastrophic strategic fubar.
    No way? If they wanted to they could have found a way.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

A few weeks ago I had to run through fifty metres of waist-high nettles (*). I had full-length trousers on, but still got nettle stings all up my legs. And on my privates.

Sadly there were no dock leaves to rub on my d*ck. Or perhaps fortunately, as a woman was feeding horses in an adjacent paddock.

Not my best run ever ...

(*) An apparently very-disused public footpath. Except the nettles were either side of, and in, an immaculate metal clappergate.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?

Sure. Stay and fight the Taliban...
  • Options

Which Asda was that? Riyadh.
    No chance! You should hear the complaints out here that petrol just went over 50p a litre :D
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    RobD said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?

Only by breaking an Agreement (Doha) signed by Trump and the Taliban in Feb 2020.

Obviously, if it had been Boris rather than Biden, he would have had no hesitation in breaking a signed agreement.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

Listening to an excerpt from IDS just now, I'm trying to think if senior Tory MPs have ever kicked a sitting American President like this, ever, Democrat or Republican.

Well there was the time we burned down the White House. I don’t think Joe Biden needs to worry about that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

To The Last Round ?

No; the book I have in mind was a collection of accounts of National Service. B S Johnson 'All bull' A particularly good one, getting away from the usual 'Carry on Sergeant' style of life (though the film of that name captures a certain side of it, especially the more futile whitewashing the coal in the depot life). For instance the book had David Hockney's account of being a hospital orderly (as a conscientious objector) and (I think) Alan Sillitoe as an operator for blind bombing beams during the Malayan Emergency. But I can't verify my memory for TUD re the Glosters - or even if they were included - 'till I find my copy!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Bull-National-Servicemen-Johnson/dp/0704310023

However the more recent formal but very readable history by David Vinen 'National service: a generation in uniform 1945-1963' does comnfirm that plenty of conscripts and reservists were called up and sent to Korea - no obvious mention of volunteering (though I'm sure one could ask to be put on a draft to Korea rather than somewhere else, esp. if one was an officer). It was only those under 19 or almost finishing their terms of service who were let off - and the Gmt increased the term of conscription because of the Korean war.

I've always been scepticxal about conscription (certainly, without heavy modifications such as consc ientious objection and alternative service) after reading the first book and I haven't changed my views: much as with capital punishment, an awareness of history does inform one.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    edited August 2021
    OT Sean Lock (8 out of 10 cats) has died.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58254859
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

We always knew you were no sage.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited August 2021

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?

Edit: deleted, because I hadn't bothered to read the agreement signed by the US before posting.
  • Options
    Graun feed notes that Help for Heroes is putting out advice for veterans of the 'Stan. Good for them.

https://twitter.com/HelpforHeroes/status/1427665962749374476
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I watched for a couple of minutes but the sight of Ian Blackford reprising his pompous windbag act was too much.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Never at any thyme?
  • Options
    As the first Covid lockdown hit, workers in Britain opted to turn their sheds into offices – “shoffices” – and bars, but the trend has led to a surge in outbuilding fires.

Data from freedom of information requests by the insurer Zurich found that blazes in sheds, garages and conservatories rose by 16% in 2020 compared with the previous year.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

Not a man who knows his onions?
  • Options

RobD said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

isam said:

isam said:

Exactly

Trump was a Democrat?

Only by breaking an Agreement (Doha) signed by Trump and the Taliban in Feb 2020.

Obviously, if it had been Boris rather than Biden, he would have had no hesitation in breaking a signed agreement.
    Like I said. If they wanted to, they could have found a way.
  • Options
    Taz said:

If he did would he care anyway ? Would Johnson care if an obscure US politician commented on him ?
    One might hope that as he was, like his predecessor, a draft dodger, he might cringe at the realisation he outrageously called people much braver than him cowards.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Pulpstar said:
    How times change...

https://order-order.com/2021/08/18/ed-davey-moves-on-from-tea-with-the-taliban-call/

Ed Davey’s LibDems have been going in hard on Afghanistan, both calling for a greater number of refugees to be allowed into the UK and strongly condemning the US & UK military withdrawal, saying “our leaders should all hang their heads in shame.”

Back at the LibDems’ 2009 conference, their future leader was instead calling for “tea with the Taliban”, and for Taliban fighters to be offered “a decent daily wage” to get them to defect. Now he criticises the withdrawal of troops, yet ten years ago Davey told the LibDem faithful:

“You don’t win wars by fighting in Afghanistan: witness the Soviets, witness the three Anglo-Afghan wars fought by the British Empire, witness Alexander the Great.”
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

As the first Covid lockdown hit, workers in Britain opted to turn their sheds into offices – “shoffices” – and bars, but the trend has led to a surge in outbuilding fires.

Data from freedom of information requests by the insurer Zurich found that blazes in sheds, garages and conservatories rose by 16% in 2020 compared with the previous year.

Whoops. Wonder how many people have wired up their own shed, then put a big heater in it?
  • Options

Well there was the time we burned down the White House. I don’t think Joe Biden needs to worry about that.
    He does. Just not the UK armed forces.
  • Options

A few weeks ago I had to run through fifty metres of waist-high nettles (*). I had full-length trousers on, but still got nettle stings all up my legs. And on my privates.

Sadly there were no dock leaves to rub on my d*ck. Or perhaps fortunately, as a woman was feeding horses in an adjacent paddock.

Not my best run ever ...

(*) An apparently very-disused public footpath. Except the nettles were either side of, and in, an immaculate metal clappergate.
    Perhaps the woman in adjacent paddock grew and encouraged the nettles?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Cannot rely on America.

To The Last Round ?

No; the book I have in mind was a collection of accounts of National Service. B S Johnson 'All bull' A particularly good one, getting away from the usual 'Carry on Sergeant' style of life (though the film of that name captures a certain side of it, especially the more futile whitewashing the coal in the depot life). For instance the book had David Hockney's account of being a hospital orderly (as a conscientious objector) and (I think) Alan Sillitoe as an operator for blind bombing beams during the Malayan Emergency. But I can't verify my memory for TUD re the Glosters - or even if they were included - 'till I find my copy!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Bull-National-Servicemen-Johnson/dp/0704310023

However the more recent formal but very readable history by David Vinen 'National service: a generation in uniform 1945-1963' does comnfirm that plenty of conscripts and reservists were called up and sent to Korea - no obvious mention of volunteering (though I'm sure one could ask to be put on a draft to Korea rather than somewhere else, esp. if one was an officer). It was only those under 19 or almost finishing their terms of service who were let off - and the Gmt increased the term of conscription because of the Korean war.

I've always been scepticxal about conscription (certainly, without heavy modifications such as consc ientious objection and alternative service) after reading the first book and I haven't changed my views: much as with capital punishment, an awareness of history does inform one.
    My father was on the reserve (King's Shropshire Light Infantry) and received papers (or a letter saying he might be called up) but thankfully was not
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Never at any thyme?
    Not since he cumin from the cold.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:
    How times change...

https://order-order.com/2021/08/18/ed-davey-moves-on-from-tea-with-the-taliban-call/

Ed Davey’s LibDems have been going in hard on Afghanistan, both calling for a greater number of refugees to be allowed into the UK and strongly condemning the US & UK military withdrawal, saying “our leaders should all hang their heads in shame.”

Back at the LibDems’ 2009 conference, their future leader was instead calling for “tea with the Taliban”, and for Taliban fighters to be offered “a decent daily wage” to get them to defect. Now he criticises the withdrawal of troops, yet ten years ago Davey told the LibDem faithful:

“You don’t win wars by fighting in Afghanistan: witness the Soviets, witness the three Anglo-Afghan wars fought by the British Empire, witness Alexander the Great.”
    Mainly because of the complete change of the LD voter coalition.

Most of the current LD vote is made up of centrist Remainers many of whom voted for Blair and/or Cameron.

Most of the pre 2010 LD vote was made up of leftwing anti Iraq war voters who defected back to Labour when Ed Miliband and Corbyn took over and are still voting Labour or even Green post Starmer
This discussion has been closed.