Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer gets to within 2 percent in YouGov’s “Best PM” tracker – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,547
    edited August 2021
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

It’s universal. The Washington Post

"#Afghanistan’s rapid collapse is part of a long, slow U.S. defeat"
    "#Biden, a veteran of the #Obama years, now owns his own moment in Afghanistan’s tumultuous #history, a #tragedy many years in the making."
    washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/…

https://twitter.com/onevenusthrow/status/1426196463554605057?s=21

Will this cost the Democrats the House and Senate next year?
    Don’t know, but I have seldom seen such bipartisan, across-the-board condemnation of a presidential policy - and the critiques are savage

And America’s allies are no less scathing: the FAZ calls it a ‘total failure’

‘Kandahar und Herat gefallen: Biden hat Afghanistan den Taliban ausgeliefert faz.net/-gq5-aeq6h?GEP… via @faznet Völliges Versagen der Politik die tollen Kanzlerin u des Spuperpräsidenten in den USA. Die die Afgha verteidigen sollen sind zu millionen in Merkel-D, Frauen Kinder wo?’
    At this point the position of the US abroad is at its weakest since the fall of Saigon in the 1970s and the Carter and Ford administrations.

In fact it is weaker as China is now more powerful than the USSR was then
    People need to make their minds up as to whether they want America to be a global policeman or to cultivate its garden.
    If America is not the global policeman then China in the East and Africa and Russia in the Middle East and Europe will happily fill the gap
    China is not interventionist in the terms that the US has been. It always states how no one should interfere with another country's domestic affairs because of course it wants to set the stage for Taiwan, the Spratlys, etc when it does not want anyone interfering in what it believes to be its own internal affairs.
    That's entirely self-serving nonsense from them.
    The reason they've not done so before is that they've not previously had the ability to project military power. Anyone thinking they don't intervene overseas, and won't do so increasingly, is kidding themselves.
    Where have they intervened militarily overseas?
    That's a qualifier not in your original point.
    They certainly interfere in other countries' domestic affairs, which is what I w meant with the "self-serving nonsense" bit - and it is only a matter of time before there are military adventures, IMO.
    (And if you count Tibet, or the disputed India border... or Korea, a while back.)
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

North Wales most popular holiday destination this summer overtaking Devon and Cornwall for the first time

BBC News - Covid: Record visits to north Wales boost tourism
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58189968

we had an overnight stay in Rhyl with the grandkids last month (looked like a handy spot for visiting Chester Zoo the next day).

promenade was lovely. beach too. but the sea looked like sewage. could that be because it was very windy or is that normal? and once you got beyond the seafront it wasnt pretty. but I guess a lot of seaside towns are like that now.

our other trip was to Whitby where the sea was crystal clear. didnt hurt that it was hot and sunny there either.
    Maybe if you had come a few miles more (12) you could have enjoyed all that Colwyn Bay seafront, Rhos on Sea, and Llandudno offer our very welcome visitors

I do not want to criticise Rhyl to be fair but further along the coast is more popular
    A lot of the North Wales coast is pretty grim. I wouldn't go on holiday to Rhyl if you paid me (I used to be fair local). It's like a run down and grotty poor imitation of Blackpool, complete with fat drunken scousers.

The West Wales coast is much nicer - I'm in New Quay at the moment, which is lovely and not at-all run down. Barmouth, Towyn and Harlech, Porthmadog, Criccieth - all of them are far nicer than all but the very best bits of the North Wales coast.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

One thing occurs, if the US are going to keep their noses out, militarily, of anything but homeland security, there is enormous scope for saving money in that area. Their defense budget is mind blowing.

If the US did that then NATO European powers would dramatically have to raise spending to contain Putin as would Australia, Japan, South Korea etc to contain China
    The NATO European partners are increasing their spending.

Trump's complaints about - in particular - the Germans were spot on. And while Germany publicly rebuffed Trump, military spending has risen from 1.36% of GDP in 2016 to 1.57% this year, and is forecast to reach 1.8% in 2024. Not 2% yet, but close to a 50% increase on 2016 levels.

(Of course, Trump was livid when he found out that Germany was simply increasing military spending; he thought that Germany would cut the US a check for 0.5% of GDP, rather than buying new tanks and planes.)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Andrew levens
    @Zarathrustra9
    ·
    1h
    Replying to
    @HugoGye
    Well a lot of people, including me, are reading mrna gives better protection than AZ against delta, so, grateful as we are for AZ, we’re expecting a sept mrna booster to improve our immunity.

Is there really strong evidence as yet that there is a big difference between AZ and the others regarding ifficacy against Delta. The figures I saw recently suggested not much beyond the MRNAs working more quickly - though maybe not for as long. Happy to be corrected if that is wrong. If/when we get bossters in Spain I think they're lokely to be the MRNAs as that is what they now have lots of.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,969
    edited August 2021
    dixiedean said:

The Plymouth shooter killed his mother and a three year old.
    Serious questions about his firearm licence need to be asked given what was reported to be publically available Online.

I don't know but could it be the threatened removal of said firearms licence triggered the attack.

And it wouldn't even need the police to threaten him, it could have been anyone (say his mum).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,048
    Carnyx said:

One of the standard bearers (literally) of Unionism. I take back what I said about senses of humour, that Bay City Rollers look is epic.

https://twitter.com/RobDunsmore/status/1426181322104578048?s=20

Isn't that the gent who was thrown out of Ukip for unfortunate remarks, and likes to join independence marches with a loudhailer and the rattiest UJ T-shirt ever? Or am I muddling my McConnachies?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16399120.meet-pro-union-activist-worked-orange-order-denies-jews-murdered-gas-chambers/
    Same guy.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,153
    Andy_JS said:

iSAGE - the link between cases and hospitalization is no longer weakening.

Is anyone still listening to them?
    Channel 4 and sky news
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    felix said:

Andrew levens
    @Zarathrustra9
    ·
    1h
    Replying to
    @HugoGye
    Well a lot of people, including me, are reading mrna gives better protection than AZ against delta, so, grateful as we are for AZ, we’re expecting a sept mrna booster to improve our immunity.

Is there really strong evidence as yet that there is a big difference between AZ and the others regarding ifficacy against Delta. The figures I saw recently suggested not much beyond the MRNAs working more quickly - though maybe not for as long. Happy to be corrected if that is wrong. If/when we get bossters in Spain I think they're lokely to be the MRNAs as that is what they now have lots of.

This is a slightly complicated topic, because efficacy tends to degrade over time (and the indications are that it might fade faster for the mRNA vaccines).

However, the UK data is that Pfizer is 88% effective against symptomatic infection, while AZ is 67%. Against hospitalisation and death, the vaccines performed very similarly.

Edit to add: there is some data that Moderna is more effective than Pfizer *or* it may simply be that the bigger vaccine dose given with Moderna tends to lead to slightly longer lived protection.
  • Options

North Wales most popular holiday destination this summer overtaking Devon and Cornwall for the first time

Is that seen as a good thing? Genuine question - I know that some places are drowning in tourists and a bit fed up with it. Like Skye or anywhere on the NC500 route. Happily not a problem here in Aberdeenshire.
    You can be sure if it ends up a bad thing it'll be Drakeford's fault.
    You have no idea about how angry North Walian's are with Drakeford's idiotic idea of a tourist tax
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited August 2021
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Perhaps the worst thing about the Afghan situation is that John Bolton is being interviewed as a serious figure again. Trump firing him as a warmongering imbecile was one of Don's few moments of lucid brilliance.

'I'm guessing he thinks the Stars and Stripes should be flown forevermore in Kabul ?
    Biden's position is an embarrassment. US policy should be no aid whatsoever to any Afghan government that has any Taliban involvement of any kind. The strategic implications of this surrender will not be lost on Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea.'
    https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1426171163332562946?s=20
    Didn't you used to slag off HRC for interventionist tendencies and laud Trump for his "no more foreign wars, waste of time and money" riposte to that?
    In terms of Syria and Assad I said leave alone yes.

Not Afghanistan however, either we keep a military presence there or impose a warlord like Dostum or there is a strong chance terrorist training camps will return to the country.

Then the next thing we know we have 9/11 2 on another major western city
    We surely can't be imposing a warlord - be it Dostum or anyone else - on another country. That just sounds not the way to go.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Biden getting destroyed on the Afghan debacle. Even liberal outlets like CNN

They actually compare him to Chamberlain dealing with Hitler. No joke

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/opinions/afghanistan-president-biden-debacle-bergen/index.html

If this stuff sticks, no way he runs again in 2024. HYUFD was right

TBH I think the timing of this retreat is closely linked to presidential election cycle: just after the last election and well before the next. The timing is bipartisan you might say.

Question, I suppose, is whether a defeat can be anything other than chaotic, because this one one certainly is.
    For context. This was the map in 2017 of areas under government control (dark blue) and Taliban control (red). The light blue areas were areas under no control, where the Taliban could move at will. The Afghan government was probably doomed even then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57933979

It is a defeat in the sense of the withdrawal from Vietnam was a defeat.

It is however not not the right thing to do.
    That remains to be seen, only if jihadi terrorists do not return to Afghanistan as Leon correctly points out is a risk will Biden get away with it
    There are enough Jihadi terrorists in Florida and Finsbury Park to be getting on with before worrying about Afghan.
    No. This makes things much worse. The jihadis will now run an entire state, with all the resources of that (and Afghanistan has considerable mineral wealth which the Chinese will happily buy)

‘Torn by four decades of war and desperate poverty, Afghanistan is believed to be sitting on one of the richest troves of minerals in the world. The value of these resources has been roughly estimated between $1-3 trillion.’

https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/afghanistans-mineral-resources-are-a-lost-opportunity-and-a-threat/

Imagine ISIS with one trillion dollars. Imagine the terror they could export. And they will

Possibly our best hope now is China moving in and exerting some kind of military leverage
    The Taliban is not the same as ISIS. They were willing to tolerate AQ 20 years ago, but essentially are an overarching paleo-religious grouping with a Afghani/Pashtun focus. They’ve never particularly had much interest in expanding internationally
    And mining requires long term investments, which presupposes some semblance of stability.
    ISIS is not going to get $100bn from newly developed mines.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,264
    theProle said:

we had an overnight stay in Rhyl with the grandkids last month (looked like a handy spot for visiting Chester Zoo the next day).

promenade was lovely. beach too. but the sea looked like sewage. could that be because it was very windy or is that normal? and once you got beyond the seafront it wasnt pretty. but I guess a lot of seaside towns are like that now.

our other trip was to Whitby where the sea was crystal clear. didnt hurt that it was hot and sunny there either.
    Maybe if you had come a few miles more (12) you could have enjoyed all that Colwyn Bay seafront, Rhos on Sea, and Llandudno offer our very welcome visitors

I do not want to criticise Rhyl to be fair but further along the coast is more popular
    A lot of the North Wales coast is pretty grim. I wouldn't go on holiday to Rhyl if you paid me (I used to be fair local). It's like a run down and grotty poor imitation of Blackpool, complete with fat drunken scousers.

The West Wales coast is much nicer - I'm in New Quay at the moment, which is lovely and not at-all run down. Barmouth, Towyn and Harlech, Porthmadog, Criccieth - all of them are far nicer than all but the very best bits of the North Wales coast.
    https://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2015/jun/05/crap-town-rhyl-fighting-back
  • Options

Is that seen as a good thing? Genuine question - I know that some places are drowning in tourists and a bit fed up with it. Like Skye or anywhere on the NC500 route. Happily not a problem here in Aberdeenshire.
    You have no idea about how angry North Walian's are with Drakeford's idiotic idea of a tourist tax
    I've picked up a few clues on how angry one North Walian is..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Andrew levens
    @Zarathrustra9
    ·
    1h
    Replying to
    @HugoGye

This is a slightly complicated topic, because efficacy tends to degrade over time (and the indications are that it might fade faster for the mRNA vaccines).

However, the UK data is that Pfizer is 88% effective against symptomatic infection, while AZ is 67%. Against hospitalisation and death, the vaccines performed very similarly.

Edit to add: there is some data that Moderna is more effective than Pfizer *or* it may simply be that the bigger vaccine dose given with Moderna tends to lead to slightly longer lived protection.
    I think there's a reasonable likelihood of third jab boosters being required this autumn/winter for over 65s, since their immune memories tend to decay faster. Already approved in the US for the immunocompromised, of course.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/opinions/afghanistan-president-biden-debacle-bergen/index.html

TBH I think the timing of this retreat is closely linked to presidential election cycle: just after the last election and well before the next. The timing is bipartisan you might say.

Question, I suppose, is whether a defeat can be anything other than chaotic, because this one one certainly is.
    For context. This was the map in 2017 of areas under government control (dark blue) and Taliban control (red). The light blue areas were areas under no control, where the Taliban could move at will. The Afghan government was probably doomed even then.

That remains to be seen, only if jihadi terrorists do not return to Afghanistan as Leon correctly points out is a risk will Biden get away with it
    There are enough Jihadi terrorists in Florida and Finsbury Park to be getting on with before worrying about Afghan.
    No. This makes things much worse. The jihadis will now run an entire state, with all the resources of that (and Afghanistan has considerable mineral wealth which the Chinese will happily buy)

‘Torn by four decades of war and desperate poverty, Afghanistan is believed to be sitting on one of the richest troves of minerals in the world. The value of these resources has been roughly estimated between $1-3 trillion.’

https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/afghanistans-mineral-resources-are-a-lost-opportunity-and-a-threat/

Imagine ISIS with one trillion dollars. Imagine the terror they could export. And they will

Possibly our best hope now is China moving in and exerting some kind of military leverage
    The Taliban is not the same as ISIS. They were willing to tolerate AQ 20 years ago, but essentially are an overarching paleo-religious grouping with a Afghani/Pashtun focus. They’ve never particularly had much interest in expanding internationally
    And mining requires long term investments, which presupposes some semblance of stability.
    There is next to no chance that there will be substantial mines in Afghanistan, because it would require massive infrastructure spending - even before you dig the first hole in the ground.

Mongolia is much, much more mineral rich than Afghanistan. It is politically stable. And has much better transport links.

Twenty years of hard work has seen a couple of small mines come on stream. It's hard to see how Afghanistan could even see that performance.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Perhaps the worst thing about the Afghan situation is that John Bolton is being interviewed as a serious figure again. Trump firing him as a warmongering imbecile was one of Don's few moments of lucid brilliance.

'I'm guessing he thinks the Stars and Stripes should be flown forevermore in Kabul ?
    Biden's position is an embarrassment. US policy should be no aid whatsoever to any Afghan government that has any Taliban involvement of any kind. The strategic implications of this surrender will not be lost on Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea.'
    https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1426171163332562946?s=20
    Didn't you used to slag off HRC for interventionist tendencies and laud Trump for his "no more foreign wars, waste of time and money" riposte to that?
    In terms of Syria and Assad I said leave alone yes.

Not Afghanistan however, either we keep a military presence there or impose a warlord like Dostum or there is a strong chance terrorist training camps will return to the country.

Then the next thing we know we have 9/11 2 on another major western city
    We surely can't be imposing a warlord - be it Dostum or anyone else - on another country. That just sounds not the way to go.
    Yes, that strategy turned out so well for the US in various places postwar.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

That's odd - surely if there was anger in this we'd get a nod from North Wales!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Andrew levens
    @Zarathrustra9
    ·
    1h
    Replying to
    @HugoGye

That's why they reserved Moderna for the best, brightest and most attractive....
  • Options
    theProle said:

You need to go 12 miles west to the Queen of Welsh resorts, Llandudno, which is nothing like Rhyl to be fair
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Andrew levens
    @Zarathrustra9
    ·
    1h
    Replying to
    @HugoGye

The data I have seen was not quite so good for Pfizer but the rest is in line. Measuring accurately for efficacy against symptomatic infection has to be very difficult. The real problem making decisions now is that they operating within a time frame that would normally just be part of the research for a vaccine. For understandable reasons of course. However, I fully get why some would say let's not rush to boosters till we are clear they are needed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

One thing occurs, if the US are going to keep their noses out, militarily, of anything but homeland security, there is enormous scope for saving money in that area. Their defense budget is mind blowing.

If the US did that then NATO European powers would dramatically have to raise spending to contain Putin as would Australia, Japan, South Korea etc to contain China

Trump's complaints about - in particular - the Germans were spot on. And while Germany publicly rebuffed Trump, military spending has risen from 1.36% of GDP in 2016 to 1.57% this year, and is forecast to reach 1.8% in 2024. Not 2% yet, but close to a 50% increase on 2016 levels.

(Of course, Trump was livid when he found out that Germany was simply increasing military spending; he thought that Germany would cut the US a check for 0.5% of GDP, rather than buying new tanks and planes.)
    Britain decimated its armed forces but added pensions to the defence budget to get back to the magic 2%. To be fair to Boris, he is pledged to increase defence spending (and not all on drones!).
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678

The tax is an interesting idea, though; proportionate to the length of stay AIUI. It is intended to stop local council taxpayers (etc) and businesses which don't profit from tourism very directly from having to pay an unfair share of the costs of a greatly increased summer population - waterworks, infrastructure, services, etc. It'll be interesting to see how opinion on this evolves as the pandemic hopefully recedes, given that the place is as packed this summer as BigG reports.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Andrew levens
    @Zarathrustra9
    ·
    1h
    Replying to
    @HugoGye

That's why they reserved Moderna for the best, brightest and most attractive....
    Seemingly it does nothing against the delusional... :smiley:
  • Options

Maybe check before commenting

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/business/19387687.tourism-tax-will-deter-visitors-coming-north-wales-says-industry-chief/
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    theProle said:

What is Anglesey like?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Britain decimated its armed forces but added pensions to the defence budget to get back to the magic 2%. To be fair to Boris, he is pledged to increase defence spending (and not all on drones!).
    It seems we are experts in procuring tanks that cant be sat in for more than 30 mins or aircraft carriers that don't fit our aircraft. Hopefully the money is at least reaching the "right" recipients, which is what it is really about.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

theProle said:

What is Anglesey like?
    In Pembrokeshire, the resorts and beaches are really clean and colourful.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Our armed forces have been awful for ages.

I still have nightmares about the accommodation and embrace that I had when a cadet.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

I still have nightmares about the accommodation and embrace that I had when a cadet.
    Embrace? From the master i/c Cadets? Or the W/O in charge?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,189

theProle said:

What is Anglesey like?
    I stayed in Holyhead once. It wasn't brilliant.

We went to Beaumaris though and that was really nice! We also did some bus trips around Anglesey which were good.
  • Options

theProle said:

What is Anglesey like?
    A lot of people enjoy visiting Anglesey and the Llyn peninsula, but to be honest most everywhere west of Colwyn Bay including Rhos on Sea has lots going for it, hence why the report today indicated North Wales has beaten Devon and Cornwall as the UK leading holiday destination
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

How awful will you feel if that is true. But no.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

But what is an 'embrace' in the cadet context? I'm all agog.

I can remember the kit we had as cadets in the 1970s, too ...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Aslan said:

In the case of covid the mRNA vaccines appear to be a bit faster acting, and viral vector vaccines seem to produce a more enduring immune response. Viral vector vaccines may also produce a broader immune response as the virus used stimulates more of the immune system than the encapsulated mRNA does.

My completely non-expert view is that to crush an outbreak the mRNA vaccines will likely prove to be the best, because they produce immune protection sooner. On the other hand if you want your population to have enduring protection against developing disease it should be easier to achieve that with viral vector vaccines.

It's a bit like trying to compare lorries and cars, they both have their uses, so it depends on what you are trying to do.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

America is also guilty - AIUI - of including the Department of Veterans Affairs in its military spending number.
  • Options

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/business/19387687.tourism-tax-will-deter-visitors-coming-north-wales-says-industry-chief/
    Having checked I can confirm two is twice as much as one.
  • Options
    BREAK: Damian Hinds has been appointed Security Minister
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

But what is an 'embrace' in the cadet context? I'm all agog.

I can remember the kit we had as cadets in the 1970s, too ...
    I really don't mind about the circumstances of your arrest.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited August 2021

Dear me - what a nonsense response

He represent the industry who mandate his opposition, including all Llandudno's hoteliers, leisure operators and businesses
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    glw said:

Leon said:

‘Joe Biden on 8 July: “The likelihood there’s going to be the Taliban overrunning everything and owning the whole country is highly unlikely.”

@emilyctamkin on the consequences of the latest humiliating chapter in US foreign policy.’

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1426180765872803848?s=21

It's incomprehensible to me that people didn't see this coming. As soon as Trump mentioned pulling the US troops from Afghanistan I thought that it would inevitably lead to the Taliban resuming power, okay they aren't there yet but they are getting awful close. The only thing that has surprised me is the speed.
    Indeed - there had been reports for years that the Taliban controlled badtvareas already, of course theyd be strong in a pull out. It's been even more well organised than feared though. Are some Afghan forces effective at least?
  • Options

Hours after they briefed Patel was taking on the role on a permanent basis. Sounds typically shambolic, but at least another inoffensive and apparently competent minister appointed. Very, very slowly the adults are returning to the room.
  • Options

He represent the industry who mandate his opposition

But Mr Drakeford has to represent the whole community.

In Edinburgh, for instance, there appears to be consdierable public support for the tourist tax because of the costs on the community which the crowding imposes. And it doesn't deter tourism much at all.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

England scored one run in the first 22 minutes after tea.

And they wonder why the hundreds are popular

This is boring and unwatchable cricket
    I disagree. It's always interesting when wickets are falling. 2 wickets in 2 balls just after tea.
    The slow periods make the intense moments all the more intense. It's not going to grab attention every second.
  • Options

Hilarious.

Boris Johnson has screwed over Priti Patel.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

we did enjoy our stay. but yes others have said we should have headed further to Llandudno.
    Maybe next time and of course Conwy with it's wonderful castle is near to Llandudno
    And of course while in Conwy you must pop into the antique shop of the world famous 😀Drew Pritchard of Salvage Hunters fame.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

In Edinburgh, for instance, there appears to be consdierable public support for the tourist tax because of the costs on the community which the crowding imposes. And it doesn't deter tourism much at all.
    He lives in a community that has virtually no tourism and his proposed tax does not affect businesses in his community

• Options

Hours after they briefed Patel was taking on the role on a permanent basis. Sounds typically shambolic, but at least another inoffensive and apparently competent minister appointed. Very, very slowly the adults are returning to the room.
    Let's hope so
  • Options

theProle said:

You need to go 12 miles west to the Queen of Welsh resorts, Llandudno, which is nothing like Rhyl to be fair
    I like Llandudno but it is very very busy at the moment, full of Scousers and Mancs. So hold tight onto your wallet/handbag.
    Best wait till September to visit.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

He lives in a community that has virtually no tourism and his proposed tax does not affect businesses in his community

I meant the community of Wales as a whole, and to empower the communities of North Wales with new laws which they can invoke should they wish. He is the First Minister, after all.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

Sky News
    @SkyNews
    BREAKING: YouTube has terminated the account of Plymouth shooter Jake Davidson for violating its "offline behaviour policy".

More on this story here: https://trib.al/kbriB7L

FFS...

I posted that upthread. I mean I didn't want to laugh but really, as you note...FFS!!
    That its reported says something about us. I'm not sure what though. Have his magazine subscriptions been cancelled too?
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

theProle said:

I like Llandudno but it is very very busy at the moment, full of Scousers and Mancs. So hold tight onto your wallet/handbag.
    I live there and do not recognise your description other than it is very busy and very welcome after covid devastated the hotels and the businesses
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

There is next to no chance that there will be substantial mines in Afghanistan, because it would require massive infrastructure spending - even before you dig the first hole in the ground.

Mongolia is much, much more mineral rich than Afghanistan. It is politically stable. And has much better transport links.

Twenty years of hard work has seen a couple of small mines come on stream. It's hard to see how Afghanistan could even see that performance.
    Didn’t Black Jack get involved in Mongolia though?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I meant the community of Wales as a whole, and to empower the communities of North Wales with new laws which they can invoke should they wish. He is the First Minister, after all.
    It is not optional if it is imposed by Cardiff
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I really dont see the fact that Mark Drakeford represents Cardiff West is relevant. Taxes have to come from somewhere and as First Minister has just floated something that happens elsewhere.
    I live in Pembrokeshire, a very busy tourist area, like yours in N Wales. I suspect a tourism tax would have very little impact on numbers.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The tax is an interesting idea, though; proportionate to the length of stay AIUI. It is intended to stop local council taxpayers (etc) and businesses which don't profit from tourism very directly from having to pay an unfair share of the costs of a greatly increased summer population - waterworks, infrastructure, services, etc. It'll be interesting to see how opinion on this evolves as the pandemic hopefully recedes, given that the place is as packed this summer as BigG reports.

It's becoming quite common in European cities
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Didn’t Black Jack get involved in Mongolia though?
    I think they're in Inner Mongolia, rather than Outer... But I could be wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

America is also guilty - AIUI - of including the Department of Veterans Affairs in its military spending number.
    The US healthcare for vets costs an absolute fortune
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,623
    Not taking a stance and then trying to force the PM to take a stance is not leadership.

Its a PR stunt of the highest level.

https://twitter.com/ryancapperauld/status/1426125822096728069?s=21
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Evening all :)

Kabul in 2021 or Phnom Penh in 1975? I choose the latter over Saigon because the Khmer Rouge were far worse than the Vietcong or the North Vietnamese Army. The devastation the Khmer Rouge wrought on Cambodia is probably the nearest modern parallel we have to Taliban Afghanistan.

I'm far from convinced this is a western "failure" - it's easy to call it and astonishing to see Trump, who basically abandoned Afghanistan to the Taliban in 2020 just as Nixon abandoned South Vietnam to the Viet Cong in 1973 berating Biden for cheap political point scoring.

The ARVN in 1975 (and I suspect the Afghan Army now) had more than enough men and equipment to hold back the Communists but in the end they were failed by their leaders who ran (presumably because they had somewhere to which to run).

Is not Afghanistan the same? The ruling elite - the friends of Ghani - will find sanctuary and it will be the ordinary people who, once their leaders have deserted, will either have to fight and die or yield and accept savagery?

Why should anyone have faith in a country and a Government when it's obvious those in charge of that country and Government don't?
  • Options

Hilarious.

And slammed another stable door shut after the Germans arrested the (or a) Russian spy at our embassy, like Youtube suspending the accounts of mass murderers after they've done the mass murdering.

Damian Hinds: First in PPE like David Cameron. President of the Oxford Union like Boris. This is the sort of independent, anti-Establishment thinking Britain needs in these uncertain times.
  • Options
    Returning briefly to an earlier discussion, topping made a good point about themes of fantasy often being done better in non fantasy, and I often think of sci fi that way - is there a reason the story is sci fi? Usually yes, questions that can only be explored that way.

With fantasy I'm more forgiving as I like the creativity to be any genre, then add magic if you want, or anything else. Hence why if it is 'traditional' tolkienesque it needs to be very well written.

Impossible to recommend the best, too varied and it depends on style and your mood, but in the last year The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu was a great Chinese inspired tale, and The City by Stella Gemmel I found unconventional but compelling.
  • Options

Not taking a stance and then trying to force the PM to take a stance is not leadership.

Sturgeon hiding behind Boris

Her true colours on show
  • Options

Hilarious.

Why do we need a Security Minister at all?

An Insecurity Minister would be much more appropriate.
  • Options
    6.38 result from Newmarket:

1. GREY FOX 10/3
    2. GODDESS OF FIRE 9/4

6 ran.
  • Options

Her true colours on show
    Given that oilfield exploration is not a devoilved matter, you'd have been spluttering if she had tried to close it doen or to approve it directly.
  • Options
    OT The Spectator has not posted its usual Thursday video.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Former President Trump condemned his successor's handling of the crisis in Afghanistan on Friday, as the Taliban continued their lightning advance and U.S. personnel prepared to destroy documents and evacuate the embassy in Kabul.

'Tragic mess in Afghanistan, a completely open and broken Border, Crime at record levels, oil prices through the roof, inflation rising, and taken advantage of by the entire world—DO YOU MISS ME YET?' he said in a short emailed statement.

Mail
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It is not optional if it is imposed by Cardiff
    As I understand it, it is the ABILITY that is being impsoed by Cardiff - it is up to each local council to invoke it should they so wish.

Far from it being imposed by Cardiff.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Kabul in 2021 or Phnom Penh in 1975? I choose the latter over Saigon because the Khmer Rouge were far worse than the Vietcong or the North Vietnamese Army. The devastation the Khmer Rouge wrought on Cambodia is probably the nearest modern parallel we have to Taliban Afghanistan.

I'm far from convinced this is a western "failure" - it's easy to call it and astonishing to see Trump, who basically abandoned Afghanistan to the Taliban in 2020 just as Nixon abandoned South Vietnam to the Viet Cong in 1973 berating Biden for cheap political point scoring.

The ARVN in 1975 (and I suspect the Afghan Army now) had more than enough men and equipment to hold back the Communists but in the end they were failed by their leaders who ran (presumably because they had somewhere to which to run).

Is not Afghanistan the same? The ruling elite - the friends of Ghani - will find sanctuary and it will be the ordinary people who, once their leaders have deserted, will either have to fight and die or yield and accept savagery?

Why should anyone have faith in a country and a Government when it's obvious those in charge of that country and Government don't?

Theres plenty of crap to spread around. Undoubtedly we and the USA have plenty. But theres no real getting away from the length of time and local leaders and/or people not wanting to build a functioning state if it remains do weak. Is that what powerful interests wanted, for fear of a powerful state.

There are plenty of countries like that. Paper leviathan I saw them called.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,986
    theProle said:

An anecdote from Flint, a little further east along the coast. On my coastal walk, I stopped off to look at the ruined castle. I was just about to start off when a man approached me. He asked me if I was doing a charity walk; when I said I was, he said he had seen out motorhome in the car park. He had been about to break into it, but had then seen the charity banner in a window and decided against it!

A few days later I met someone on the Wirral who said that a lot of problem families in the area get 'dumped' on Flint and the other north Wales towns. Goodness knows how English councils manage to send people to Wales (although as the walk was in 2002, it might have occurred before devolution).

On a later walk in the area years later, we passed a group of men and women - perhaps in their early twenties - on some scrubland who were drinking lager and swearing loudly at each other, despite it being only one in the afternoon. A childrens play park was about fifty metres away ...

I know coastal towns have problems, but this felt much grittier than most.
  • Options

Former President Trump condemned his successor's handling of the crisis in Afghanistan on Friday, as the Taliban continued their lightning advance and U.S. personnel prepared to destroy documents and evacuate the embassy in Kabul.

'Tragic mess in Afghanistan, a completely open and broken Border, Crime at record levels, oil prices through the roof, inflation rising, and taken advantage of by the entire world—DO YOU MISS ME YET?' he said in a short emailed statement.

Mail

I'll say this - many politicians clearly would like to say the last line about missing them. Only he would actually say it.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

theProle said:

So they need a tourist tax to pay for the extra policing?
  • Options

Mail

He could have added "economic growth at a record"
  • Options

theProle said:

An anecdote from Flint, a little further east along the coast. On my coastal walk, I stopped off to look at the ruined castle. I was just about to start off when a man approached me. He asked me if I was doing a charity walk; when I said I was, he said he had seen out motorhome in the car park. He had been about to break into it, but had then seen the charity banner in a window and decided against it!

A few days later I met someone on the Wirral who said that a lot of problem families in the area get 'dumped' on Flint and the other north Wales towns. Goodness knows how English councils manage to send people to Wales (although as the walk was in 2002, it might have occurred before devolution).

On a later walk in the area years later, we passed a group of men and women - perhaps in their early twenties - on some scrubland who were drinking lager and swearing loudly at each other, despite it being only one in the afternoon. A childrens play park was about fifty metres away ...

Not just Wales. English coastal towns have also been used as dumping grounds for drug addicts and the mentally ill. Some think this contributed to Brexit.
  • Options
    YoungTurkYoungTurk Posts: 158
    Regime media:

"Boris Johnson has said the UK can be 'extremely proud' of its role in Afghanistan, despite the situation in the country having 'deteriorated'.

The UK will evacuate the 'vast bulk' of its embassy staff in the coming days as the Taliban continues to advance.

The prime minister said there was 'no military solution' after an emergency Cobra meeting on Friday afternoon.
    "

What a pity the unavailability of a military solution, given of course all the non-military realities, wasn't recognised in 2001. How difficult was it to tell George Bush the Younger he could do one? As for the "vast bulk", so the plan is to keep an embassy in Kabul once the Taliban have retaken the capital? Of course it isn't.

What is the betting that the Brits will have to ask for Russian support in getting to the airport and then flying out safely?

Talking of Russians, the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan was planned and orderly and took place over several months. They didn't leave it until a week or so before they withdrew to call an emergency meeting and announce there was "no military solution". Really Johnson should fall over this, as Blair should have fallen over Iraq. Has he even mentioned the British service personnel who lost their lives in this utterly unnecessary and futile war? Or is it just that the kingdom should be proud of failing? I get it there won't be an inquiry just yet into why the hell Britain ever invaded in the first place. If there were an opposition, that's what it would be demanding.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,986
    kle4 said:

Returning briefly to an earlier discussion, topping made a good point about themes of fantasy often being done better in non fantasy, and I often think of sci fi that way - is there a reason the story is sci fi? Usually yes, questions that can only be explored that way.

With fantasy I'm more forgiving as I like the creativity to be any genre, then add magic if you want, or anything else. Hence why if it is 'traditional' tolkienesque it needs to be very well written.

Impossible to recommend the best, too varied and it depends on style and your mood, but in the last year The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu was a great Chinese inspired tale, and The City by Stella Gemmel I found unconventional but compelling.

I should perhaps not admit this, but one of my favourite books is "The Time Travellers Wife'. Which is basically fantasy chick-lit. I don't know why I like it so much, but it's an easy, pleasant read, with a couple of traumatic moments that still get to me, despite familiarity.

My absolute favourite book is a scifi one, which is also kind-of fantasy: Intervention, by Julian May.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    kle4 said:

Mail

I'll say this - many politicians clearly would like to say the last line about missing them. Only he would actually say it.
    Didn't Blair say at his final conference, "I hope you don't end up missing me"? Or have I imagined that?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Her true colours on show
    Given that oilfield exploration is not a devoilved matter, you'd have been spluttering if she had tried to close it doen or to approve it directly.
    She is 'spluttering' over an issue that she cannot hide behind Boris but as importantly oil and gas is integral to Scotland independence case
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Theres plenty of crap to spread around. Undoubtedly we and the USA have plenty. But theres no real getting away from the length of time and local leaders and/or people not wanting to build a functioning state if it remains do weak. Is that what powerful interests wanted, for fear of a powerful state.

I get the sense the "Right" are claiming this is a failure of the "Left" and trying to make some political capital.

To be fair, we did install Karzai in Kabul in 2001but instead of concentrating on Afghan political, military and economic reconstruction, American and western interests moved to Iraq and Saddam Hussein.

Had overthrowing Saddam not been on the agenda, I suspect we'd have seen a deeper commitment to Afghanistan which might have left us in a very different position.

Not for the first time, the Americans left the job unfinished ad the consequences of that are coming back to haunt them now.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Mail

Didn't Blair say at his final conference, "I hope you don't end up missing me"? Or have I imagined that?
    Hasn't stuck in my memory like 'I was the future once'
  • Options

Hilarious.

Was a glass table involved?
  • Options
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

I get the sense the "Right" are claiming this is a failure of the "Left" and trying to make some political capital.

To be fair, we did install Karzai in Kabul in 2001but instead of concentrating on Afghan political, military and economic reconstruction, American and western interests moved to Iraq and Saddam Hussein.

Had overthrowing Saddam not been on the agenda, I suspect we'd have seen a deeper commitment to Afghanistan which might have left us in a very different position.

Not for the first time, the Americans left the job unfinished ad the consequences of that are coming back to haunt them now.
    Both approaches (intervention and ignore/isolate) are likely to end up in failure and both are costly. So we switch between them every 15-30 years hoping the alternative will be better, and that is probably worse than sticking with either one.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    rcs1000 said:

Mail

He could have added "economic growth at a record"
    Economic growth surging, workers pay growing at record levels, fantastic vaccination roll out to everyone that wants one, poverty falling like a stone, the biggest investment in America's infrastructure in a century, and badly needed funding of childcare and elderly care on the way. Biden is doing much better than I ever hoped.
  • Options

Both approaches (intervention and ignore/isolate) are likely to end up in failure and both are costly. So we switch between them every 15-30 years hoping the alternative will be better, and that is probably worse than sticking with either one.

Yes, I think you're probably right.

From 1945-89, our freedom of action in foreign policy was always constrained by the possibility of s shooting war with Moscow's proxies or perhaps the Red Army itself.

We thought the fall of the Wall meant the end of history and we had "won". The end of Communism liberated not just the West from the threat of nuclear annihilation but a lot of other forces elsewhere in the world which the Cold War had kept in check.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    valleyboy said:

theProle said:

What a nasty comment
  • Options

valleyboy said:

theProle said:

What a nasty comment
    Thanks Mike

It was uncalled for
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Andrew levens
    @Zarathrustra9
    ·
    1h
    Replying to
    @HugoGye

The trials were also conducted at different times, with different rates of COVID prevalent in the population. You cannot compare different trials to each other.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Hilarious.

Was a glass table involved?
    That reminds me, Una Stubbs died yesterday
  • Options

theProle said:

Not just Wales. English coastal towns have also been used as dumping grounds for drug addicts and the mentally ill. Some think this contributed to Brexit.
    We were in East Humberside recently, lovely part of the country. Visited Withernsea. Never going to go back.

Bridlington has a few problems as well now in a similar vein.

How can councils in wealthier areas just dump problem families in less wealthy areas.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited August 2021

theProle said:

Devolution was I think 1998, so "before" is not quite right - unless you are referring to him being sent there.
  • Options

Zero apparent qualifications… though there is this.
    Hinds read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Trinity College, University of Oxford, attaining a first class degree. He served as the President of the Oxford Union.…
  • Options

kle4 said:

Mail

It’s well trailed

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https://media.npr.org/assets/blogs/thetwo-way/images/2010/02/bushboard-9c86979ef7ba50702015200c3f0a170801f53027.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2010/02/miss_me_yet_billboard_mystery.html&docid=4eczxQtJJBn8cM&tbnid=snjItTgfnZreSM&vet=1&w=1000&h=761&itg=1&hl=en-gb&client=safari&bih=553&biw=375&ved=2ahUKEwjNp4H_z67yAhWYhVwKHaKRBBIQxiB6BAgBEBU&iact=c&ictx=1
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Hinds read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Trinity College, University of Oxford, attaining a first class degree. He served as the President of the Oxford Union.…
    Amusing coincidence, though of course qualifications is no barrier for any MP.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    edited August 2021

theProle said:

Just spent the week in Whitley Bay. Ex-cons and addicts in the B+B's. Boutique hotels catering for lawyers and doctors. Much new, permanent blood from London. Even a combined estate agent, lounge and wine bar.
    Not a great deal in between.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Her true colours on show
    She is 'spluttering' over an issue that she cannot hide behind Boris but as importantly oil and gas is integral to Scotland independence case
    Not nearly so much now: far more on renewables. The world hass moved on. Which is the issue here - and it will not be anyh more comfortable for Mr Johnson and the Tories, perhaps less so.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Her true colours on show
    Not nearly so much now: far more on renewables. The world hass moved on. Which is the issue here - and it will not be anyh more comfortable for Mr Johnson and the Tories, perhaps less so.
    Straight question

If Boris approves Cambo will Sturgeon join the Greens and Labour and condemn the decision

Or agree with it
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

kle4 said:

I should perhaps not admit this, but one of my favourite books is "The Time Travellers Wife'. Which is basically fantasy chick-lit. I don't know why I like it so much, but it's an easy, pleasant read, with a couple of traumatic moments that still get to me, despite familiarity.

My absolute favourite book is a scifi one, which is also kind-of fantasy: Intervention, by Julian May.
    Admitting to liking lowbrow fiction takes a certain sang froid, since people are SO snobbish about books (and music, not so much about art). I love Richelle Mead's Succubus fantasy series - hilarious, sexy and clever plot (if you like Penny in the Big Bang Theory you'll like this) - but I'd never have admitted it when I was an MP.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Her true colours on show
    Straight question

If Boris approves Cambo will Sturgeon join the Greens and Labour and condemn the decision

Or agree with it
    I really don't know - we are in that sort of zone increasingly.

Edit: but the situation will change almost monthloy with COP26 coming up. So timing is also an issue.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Amusing coincidence, though of course qualifications is no barrier for any MP.
    Parliament lists Hinds' political interests as education, welfare, affordable credit, and social mobility.…
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I'm sure most will have seen it but the 'Kite Runner' is a good watch for those who are disgusted by the US/UKs action in Afghanistan. A bit sentimental but it gives a good context to what is happening
This discussion has been closed.