Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Two very different General Election outcomes from this week’s polls – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,155
    Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1m
    Thursday’s Daily TELEGRAPH: “Pingdemic disrupts supermarket food supplies” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Taz said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

https://mobile.twitter.com/richardosman/status/1417914636444311555

Richard Osman
    @richardosman
    Really enjoying #TheHundred. This is going to do great business for the BBC, and great long-term business for cricket. Formatable live sport is so vital for terrestrial TV, and vice-versa.

The graphics are pretty poor.
    Graphics are fixable, the format isn't
    All these people claiming that the BBC is time limited in what it can show on it’s TV channels needs to take a closer look at its schedules... If it can basically block book 2 weeks for Wimbledon, it can find time for a few mid week 3 hour cricket matches!
    I am reminded of the anguish when the BBC first lost the rights to cricket. Trembling lip"But we have a *right* to cricket, to fill the afternoons. Unless we need to interrupt it for a special announcement about nothing in particular"
    Or indeed sodding horse racing.
    The BBC did not lose horseracing. It decided to drop horseracing.

Horseracing is about to start its own version of cricket's Hundred, with yet another attempt to turn racing into a team sport. There must be a whole industry dedicated to having stupid ideas about sport.
    I think you missed my point. Bbc used to drive me mad leaving the cricket to show horse racing.
    Or on the radio leaving the cricket for the shipping forecast! Perhaps the ships really needed it, but nothing could be more dull.
    Its not just the BBC doing it, it used to happen downunder too. Be watching The Ashes and they'd cut away for a horse race, then come back and a wicket would have fallen.

The introduction of enough channels not to have that happen is a very good thing.
    Australia used to have all sorts of weird rules. Like if there weren't enough people in the ground they'd remove TV coverage of the after tea sessions.
    I didn't know that one. Probably never happened much in the Ashes.

The other thing that's definitely changed since the 90s is how sports channels deal with streakers. The camera always used to follow a streaker running on the pitch, now they never do.
    That TV coverage rule only applied locally. So,a test in Adelaide wouldn’t be blacked out in Brisbane.
    No - it would be a bit harsh to expect people from Brisbane to get on a plane to fix it!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

nico679 said:

+30,587 cases in Spain.

And 7,255 already in hospital.

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/documentos/Actualizacion_423_COVID-19.pdf

Covid is far from finished with Europe.

Whatever Mike thinks.
    I am not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.
    The vaccine success story which BoJo is always eager to remind us has nothing like the potency it had now that other neighbours in Europe have almost caught up or surpassed the UK.

Here's a scenario - all of Europe is hit by Delta, disastrously so in Eastern Europe in the autumn and winter but even Western and Mediterranean Europe suffers badly. With intermittent lockdowns and media reports of hospitals being overwhelmed.

These problems continue throughout 2022 in much of Europe.

But the UK comes through much better because of the quicker vaccination, the higher vaccination numbers and getting Delta during the summer.

What then is the narrative of how the UK government has handled Delta ?
    Delta is spreading so quickly that any wave will happen over the next month and vaccinations are catching upto the UK , also many countries are vaccinating children 12 to 17 which will likely help to suppress the virus in the autumn . So I don’t see a situation where Bozo can laud it over the rest of Europe . He lucked out with the vaccinations , apart from that he’s been a waste of space and has blown the “ world beating vaccinations “ feel good factor by a series of clusterfucks over the last week .
    We don't know how quickly Delta will spread - it still doesn't seem to have arrived in Eastern Europe.

As to vaccinations we don't know what level each country will reach and how soon.

But your comment rather exemplifies the belief that there is no limit to how bad things might get in the UK but that things in other European countries will not be as bad.

Strange, very strange.
    It will be like last year, eastern Europeans will go on their holibobs and then by September it will be spreading rapidly.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

The vaccine success story which BoJo is always eager to remind us has nothing like the potency it had now that other neighbours in Europe have almost caught up or surpassed the UK.

A brave comment considering the possibility of how European countries may be hammered by Delta.

And which European countries are you expecting to surpass the UK on vaccinations ?

Also everyone targeted their most vulnerable population first.

The EU peak was lower than the UK one anyway.
    Are those actually true?

Certainly certain European countries went for "health professionals first", but I'd acccept that as relatively marginal. Good summary here:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/overview-implementation-covid-19-vaccination-strategies-and-deployment-plans

There were EU peaks above and below the UK. There were far too many UK vs EU average graphs in the media, which did not recognise diversity amongst the EU 27.

And quite a few countries partly o fully caught up the UK on deaths etc because they did not suppress the 2nd wave ever. Belgium is an example.
    THere are countries in Eastern Europe with higher and longer lasting peaks than the UK. Belgium did relatively better on the second wave. The first wave was grim.
    My Belgium point is that a number of countries in the EU core never thoroughly suppressed the infection after Christmas - Be were above the "200" case level all the way from Nov to June, which in the circs led to a continual upticking of deaths. Others eg iirc Portugal did not have that residual.

If you look at excess deaths, some countries like Italy's figures are even worse.

Italy has seen 238 excess deaths per 100k [and still rising every single week] by the time their data ends on 2nd May.

And still people claim Britain is the worst-hit nation in Europe. Its not even close to being so. 😕
    Is there a site that gathers together the excess deaths data for all countries?
    This is the best I've seen. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Just note that some countries data can be months out of date, plus they only update the page once every few weeks its not daily updated like OWID:
    Thanks (and @MattW). Those graphs don't really support your suggestion that Britain is not close to being the worst-hit nation in Europe though. It looks well up there with the worst to me; no better than Italy overall.
    Are you reading it properly?

Italy 238 excess deaths per 100k, Britain 170 excess deaths per 100k. The USA are at 218.

So Italy have 40% more excess deaths per capita than the UK does.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1m
    Thursday’s Daily TELEGRAPH: “Pingdemic disrupts supermarket food supplies” #TomorrowsPapersToday

It's good that so many of our problems are solvable. Or will solve themselves in 3 weeks.
  • Options
    I guess it'll be panic buying tomorrow.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    There must be a lot of crap in the air due to the high pressure sitting over the country, but it has turned the moon into a gorgeous colour.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Horse relay racing?

Chariots...
    Put blades on their axles and I might watch.
    Hubs surely ...
    The hub is surely part of the axle...
    I think it's the other way round.
  • Options

Sky News at 10 headlines: First story is Russia examining the impact of permafrost melting. Second story is the impact of climate change in California.

Considering that people claim the government is having a bad week this week, its remarkable no domestic stories in the top headlines. Slow news day to be headlining with stories that, while significant, are not about today and not domestic.

I suppose it is better than letting Ed Conway do his data dive where he gets basic facts about what vaccine effectiveness stats mean and then extrapolates from his flawed assumptions to the nationwide potential picture....
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1m

It's good that so many of our problems are solvable. Or will solve themselves in 3 weeks.
    Why are we waiting three weeks? No one supposedly running this shitshow has provided an answer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518

France +21,539 cases.

Roger will be along shortly gloating that its fewer cases than in Blighty.

I hope France get to grips with their antivaxxers because they really do need to catch up, the surge is on.
    France's latest daily vaccination rate is higher than the UK's best day according to OWID.

No sign that they're running out of people wanting vaccinations; unlike the UK, sadly.

Have you noticed that France is nine million behind the UK on first does despite having vaccinated well over a million under 18s and that Macron had to resort to threats to the anti-vaxxers over a week ago ?
    Yes. See my other response to @Philip_Thompson.

I do not contend that France are not behind us; I merely point out that they are showing no sign of hitting an anti-vaxxer wall.
    France hit the anti-vaxxer wall a month ago.

Its only by vaccinating under 18s ie going around the wall and Macron's threats ie kicking holes in the wall that they're still vaccinating.
    Well, it seems to be working...

Those worried about vaxxing teenagers might want to consider the risks of leaving them to get it:

New study: COVID virus particles found in the penis tissue of men who'd had COVID 6-8 months earlier (both severe & mild COVID).

Additionally, the team found endothelial (blood vessel) dysfunction, causing severe erectile dysfunction.

https://t.co/tDGfbeV7Id
  • Options

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

A brave comment considering the possibility of how European countries may be hammered by Delta.

And which European countries are you expecting to surpass the UK on vaccinations ?

Are those actually true?

Certainly certain European countries went for "health professionals first", but I'd acccept that as relatively marginal. Good summary here:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/overview-implementation-covid-19-vaccination-strategies-and-deployment-plans

There were EU peaks above and below the UK. There were far too many UK vs EU average graphs in the media, which did not recognise diversity amongst the EU 27.

And quite a few countries partly o fully caught up the UK on deaths etc because they did not suppress the 2nd wave ever. Belgium is an example.
    THere are countries in Eastern Europe with higher and longer lasting peaks than the UK. Belgium did relatively better on the second wave. The first wave was grim.
    My Belgium point is that a number of countries in the EU core never thoroughly suppressed the infection after Christmas - Be were above the "200" case level all the way from Nov to June, which in the circs led to a continual upticking of deaths. Others eg iirc Portugal did not have that residual.

If you look at excess deaths, some countries like Italy's figures are even worse.

Italy has seen 238 excess deaths per 100k [and still rising every single week] by the time their data ends on 2nd May.

And still people claim Britain is the worst-hit nation in Europe. Its not even close to being so. 😕
    This is the best I've seen. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Just note that some countries data can be months out of date, plus they only update the page once every few weeks its not daily updated like OWID:
    Thanks (and @MattW). Those graphs don't really support your suggestion that Britain is not close to being the worst-hit nation in Europe though. It looks well up there with the worst to me; no better than Italy overall.
    Are you reading it properly?

Italy 238 excess deaths per 100k, Britain 170 excess deaths per 100k. The USA are at 218.

So Italy have 40% more excess deaths per capita than the UK does.
    I must be - I cannot see that data. What I see is this...

https://infographics.economist.com/2020/covid-19-excess-mortality-interactive/line-expected-deaths.html?countries=belgium;britain;spain;portugal;italy;france;ireland
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,091

ridaligo said:

@kinabalu FPT

You said ... [I was responding to a poster who opined that Rashford's campaigning is driven by desire for profile and money and public adoration and honours. He knows this because he self identifies as an "old cynic". Which he is if this is the new term for "utter wanker".]

Wow ... just wow! That's me told. Pardon me for not buying in to the group think on Marcus Rashford and for having the temerity to question the motivations and objectives of a clearly professionally managed PR campaign. Tell me where to go for "re-education".

I really don't get why you've resorted to this kind of abuse, kinabalu, ... you're better than that.

Anyway, we can leave it there; you have your view and I have mine and that's OK (isn't it?).

That was rude and over the top from kinabalu, if he is around suggest he has another look.

I still don't agree or to be honest really even understand your problem with Rashford but you took the time to politely answer my questions on it in the earlier discussion.
    It was neither rude nor OTT. The last poster of this ilk I sussed out went all faux offended too. Two days later he was making snide cracks about our black players missing the pens. His real essence was then apparent to all and he had to be banned. This one is marginally more intelligent and marginally more articulate and marginally less objectionable but it's the same deal.

In my opinion.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Sorry if this has already been said about Mike Smithson's comments on divergent polls. But they are both within standard margins of error on the assumption that the real figure in Tories about 42, Labour about 33. This matches the last polls going back at least to May for the Tories and Labour. A margin of three points each way means that the normal variation, without outliers, is 12 % points. So a real figure of, say, Tory 40 Lab 30 may come up as Tory 43, Lab 27 or OTOH could be Tory 37 Lab 33.

Not much to see here. A nine point lead should worry Labour more than Tories. And yes there is a small general dip in the Tory polling recently.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

https://infographics.economist.com/2020/covid-19-excess-mortality-interactive/line-expected-deaths.html?countries=belgium;britain;spain;portugal;italy;france;ireland
    Ah you've edited in that line so it wasn't there when I originally replied. If you look at it then Britain's line and Italy's line quite similar at the peaks, but then they massively diverged. Britain eliminated excess deaths (indeed went negative) by March, while Italy still had very heavy and high excess deaths through February, March and April in a way the UK didn't.

Similar happened last Summer. In Summer 2020 the UK eliminated excess deaths, but Italy didn't.

That explains why the cumulative total is so much higher in Italy. The peaks are comparable, but they're not eliminating it after the peaks like we did.

EDIT: Try this link for the full data. There's all sorts of data, tables and charts there. The table is the most informative.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited July 2021

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman
    Really enjoying #TheHundred. This is going to do great business for the BBC, and great long-term business for cricket. Formatable live sport is so vital for terrestrial TV, and vice-versa.

All these people claiming that the BBC is time limited in what it can show on it’s TV channels needs to take a closer look at its schedules... If it can basically block book 2 weeks for Wimbledon, it can find time for a few mid week 3 hour cricket matches!
    I am reminded of the anguish when the BBC first lost the rights to cricket. Trembling lip"But we have a *right* to cricket, to fill the afternoons. Unless we need to interrupt it for a special announcement about nothing in particular"

Horseracing is about to start its own version of cricket's Hundred, with yet another attempt to turn racing into a team sport. There must be a whole industry dedicated to having stupid ideas about sport.
    Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

In July 2021 for 6 weeks, 12 teams will go head to head every Thursday evening in 6 races each worth £50k in prize money and a total of 100 points.

Points will be awarded in each race from 25 points to the winner down to 1 point for 10th place.

The team with the most points after 36 races wins the Racing League.

So that’s 6 weeks, 12 teams, 36 races, 3,600 points and over £2m in prize money up for grabs.

https://www.racingleague.uk/
    Didn't they have teams for the chariot racing in ancient Rome? From what I can remember they made Russian football fans look like the members' pavilion at Lords.
    Indeed. This guy is the highest earning athlete of all time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Appuleius_Diocles

And where is Mr Dancer? An opportunity to expound on the Nika Riots.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sorry if this has already been said about Mike Smithson's comments on divergent polls. But they are both within standard margins of error on the assumption that the real figure in Tories about 42, Labour about 33. This matches the last polls going back at least to May for the Tories and Labour. A margin of three points each way means that the normal variation, without outliers, is 12 % points. So a real figure of, say, Tory 40 Lab 30 may come up as Tory 43, Lab 27 or OTOH could be Tory 37 Lab 33.

Not much to see here. A nine point lead should worry Labour more than Tories. And yes there is a small general dip in the Tory polling recently.

And a position backed up by a number of other recent polls that had 9-12% leads.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    1m

Why are we waiting three weeks? No one supposedly running this shitshow has provided an answer.
    There's a lot of misguided policy about at the moment being driven by "fairness". Such as the requirement to isolate with or without being double vaccinated.

Incidentally i don't include the clubbing thing in this (assuming they actually have an intention of bringing in vaxports, and it's not just a ruse). Because to bring in a vaxport policy for clubs now would be problematic not on a "fairness" basis (although it might be 'unfair') but because it would basically mean that clubs would lose a large chunk of their target audience.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    edited July 2021
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Horse relay racing?

Chariots...
    Put blades on their axles and I might watch.
    Hubs surely ...
    The hub is surely part of the axle...
    AIUI the axle is fixed, the hub rotates (edit: being an integral part of the wheel) - and that gives the desired Boudicca-style Moulinex effect, or so I assume.

However, the axle itself would emerge from the centre of the hub. Maybe someone on PB knows where the blades were fixed, on hub or axle?
  • Options
    edited July 2021

France +21,539 cases.

I hope France get to grips with their antivaxxers because they really do need to catch up, the surge is on.
    France's latest daily vaccination rate is higher than the UK's best day according to OWID.

No sign that they're running out of people wanting vaccinations; unlike the UK, sadly.

Have you noticed that France is nine million behind the UK on first does despite having vaccinated well over a million under 18s and that Macron had to resort to threats to the anti-vaxxers over a week ago ?

I do not contend that France are not behind us; I merely point out that they are showing no sign of hitting an anti-vaxxer wall.

Its only by vaccinating under 18s ie going around the wall and Macron's threats ie kicking holes in the wall that they're still vaccinating.

Where's the evidence that France hit the anti-vaxxer wall a month ago?
  • Options

Sky News at 10 headlines: First story is Russia examining the impact of permafrost melting. Second story is the impact of climate change in California.

Considering that people claim the government is having a bad week this week, its remarkable no domestic stories in the top headlines. Slow news day to be headlining with stories that, while significant, are not about today and not domestic.

Damn sight more important though. We were bemoaning the lack of foreign news the other day.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

In July 2021 for 6 weeks, 12 teams will go head to head every Thursday evening in 6 races each worth £50k in prize money and a total of 100 points.

Points will be awarded in each race from 25 points to the winner down to 1 point for 10th place.

So that’s 6 weeks, 12 teams, 36 races, 3,600 points and over £2m in prize money up for grabs.

Didn't they have teams for the chariot racing in ancient Rome? From what I can remember they made Russian football fans look like the members' pavilion at Lords.

Just over two and a half tonnes of gold does seem like quite a big pay packet, yes.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

I think someone did the whole list a couple of days ago, and we were 20th or so amongst European countries on excess deaths per pop ranked downwards. On that stat most Western European countries are lower than UK, Eastern and Central European above.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It will be like last year, eastern Europeans will go on their holibobs and then by September it will be spreading rapidly.

Yeah, and nobody should hold any stupid "bye bye Covid" parties like the Czechs did last summer. They thought it was gone and now they are one of the worst hit countries in Europe. Their death rate is double ours.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

Ah you've edited in that line so it wasn't there when I originally replied. If you look at it then Britain's line and Italy's line quite similar at the peaks, but then they massively diverged. Britain eliminated excess deaths (indeed went negative) by March, while Italy still had very heavy and high excess deaths through February, March and April in a way the UK didn't.

Similar happened last Summer. In Summer 2020 the UK eliminated excess deaths, but Italy didn't.

That explains why the cumulative total is so much higher in Italy. The peaks are comparable, but they're not eliminating it after the peaks like we did.

EDIT: Try this link for the full data. There's all sorts of data, tables and charts there. The table is the most informative.
    This one:
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

This clip may not work:

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    FPT Thank you @kinabalu for welcoming me back to PB but I haven't been away. I did have to go to Portugal for a bit but they have this internet thingy there also. Just shows how boring my posts are that nobody knows I'm here.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    algarkirk said:

Fact

It's a hard left website. Moderate social liberal types like me must respect this. Or we go to Guido.

It's really scary posting on a hard left website. That being said the government is * useless and it looks like everyone is going to die of COVID which is why I wear a mask even when I go out.

If Keir and Angela were any good LAB would be 60% clear. But they are not 👍
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

ridaligo said:

@kinabalu FPT

You said ... [I was responding to a poster who opined that Rashford's campaigning is driven by desire for profile and money and public adoration and honours. He knows this because he self identifies as an "old cynic". Which he is if this is the new term for "utter wanker".]

Wow ... just wow! That's me told. Pardon me for not buying in to the group think on Marcus Rashford and for having the temerity to question the motivations and objectives of a clearly professionally managed PR campaign. Tell me where to go for "re-education".

I really don't get why you've resorted to this kind of abuse, kinabalu, ... you're better than that.

Anyway, we can leave it there; you have your view and I have mine and that's OK (isn't it?).

You're another softhead bigot trying to dress your softhead bigotry up as "man of the world" cynical wisdom. It's tedious and utterly phoney.

That's my view. It's spot on accurate.
    How can you be certain your opinion is so accurate unless you have a window into their soul? We can all disbelieve what someone else claims, but what point in declaring something unprovable as definitely true?

That said, I don't think one needs to be beholden to group think on Rashford to not care when people moan about his motivations or his PR people. That's just a means of dismissing people by presuming they are engaging in group think.
    I back myself all day long on detecting softhead bigotry dressed up as something else by people with the vocab to do so. It's my specialist subject along with red wines of Chile and the songs of Kenny Rogers.

Your 2nd para I sense I'd be fine with if I could properly unravel it.
  • Options

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

Um... no link?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

Those worried about vaxxing teenagers might want to consider the risks of leaving them to get it:

New study: COVID virus particles found in the penis tissue of men who'd had COVID 6-8 months earlier (both severe & mild COVID).

Additionally, the team found endothelial (blood vessel) dysfunction, causing severe erectile dysfunction.

I'm certainly not criticizing Macron, he did the right thing in pushing hard against anti-vaxx sentiment.

Though he does have to take some blame for encouraging that sentiment during the winter.

How far and how quickly he can encourage further vaccinating in France remains to be seen.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

Just over two and a half tonnes of gold does seem like quite a big pay packet, yes.
    $15 billion equivalent in career earnings. Enough to fund the Roman Army for two months.
  • Options
    ps re chariots - I had a look at pics of Boadicea and daughters in their Icenimobile. All seemingly far more about titillating (pun not intended) your actual Victorian and Edwardian male than historical accuracy.

Apart from the Fred Flintstone design, I can't see how this wheel can work - no retaining pin ...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/boadicea-chariot.html
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:

I see Bolton passed its May peak.

Weren’t they both leaders of UKIP?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

"Covid can cause erectile dysfunction" would encourage a fair few under-30 males to get vaccinated imo.
  • Options

Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

"Covid can cause erectile dysfunction" would encourage a fair few under-30 males to get vaccinated imo.
    I wondered how they collect penile tissue. But it's all right. "Penile tissue was collected from patients undergoing surgery for penile prosthesis for severe ED. Specimens were obtained from two men with a history of COVID-19 infection and two men with no history of infection."
  • Options
    Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    Thursday’s i - “Shutdown replaces lockdown” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options

Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

I'm certainly not criticizing Macron, he did the right thing in pushing hard against anti-vaxx sentiment.

Though he does have to take some blame for encouraging that sentiment during the winter.

How far and how quickly he can encourage further vaccinating in France remains to be seen.
    Every chance France will end up vaccinating a higher proportion of their population than the UK imho. I certainly wouldn't have expected that at the outset.
  • Options
    kjh said:

FPT Thank you @kinabalu for welcoming me back to PB but I haven't been away. I did have to go to Portugal for a bit but they have this internet thingy there also. Just shows how boring my posts are that nobody knows I'm here.

Yes I'm really sorry about that, I was confusing you with @FF43 - not because I can't tell you apart but because he had been previously active and in a good way on the Rashford thing before you weighed in with your stonker.

And I think HE'S been largely absent a while.

And of course your posts aren't boring. As if.
  • Options

Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

Wonder who commissioned the study?

Pfizer for the win/win?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

One of the best articles I've read recently.

https://unherd.com/2021/07/the-wests-cultural-revolution-is-over/

"The West’s cultural revolution is over
    The return of censorship, speech codes and taboos suggests society returning to normal
    By Ed West"

Those of us who have found the equalitarianism of some so wearing are glad to see the view of the Marquis De Maynes are returning.....

De Maynes: Liberty must be rationed among the few with the talent to use it. There's no such thing as equality. Most men are born with the gutter and are only at home there. As for fraternity, a De Maynes is nobody's brother. We stand alone at the head of the table......

Just sold, this time, as the views of Proper People.
    The English version was more succinct:

“Everyone is in the gutter. But some of us are there by choice”
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

Wonder who commissioned the study?

Pfizer for the win/win?
    Stands to reason.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

Every chance France will end up vaccinating a higher proportion of their population than the UK imho. I certainly wouldn't have expected that at the outset.
    Frustrating thing for me is that all the parents of teenage kids I know, want them to be vaccinated. It may be a skewed sample as they are my uni colleagues, but there is a demand out there, and most don’t agree with the Jcvi on this. One is very afraid his kids will get long Covid.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Central London will never return to normal, says NatWest chairman
    Sir Howard Davies says era of thousands of workers walking into its Bishopsgate office at 8.30am and out at 6pm are over" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/21/central-london-will-never-return-normal-says-natwest-chairman
    https://twitter.com/HowardJDavies/status/1417809729938759683

That was over in 1986, mate
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

algarkirk said:

Fact

It's a hard left website. Moderate social liberal types like me must respect this. Or we go to Guido.

It's really scary posting on a hard left website. That being said the government is * useless and it looks like everyone is going to die of COVID which is why I wear a mask even when I go out.

The idea that this is a hard left website is laughable. I would be hard pressed to describe it even as moderately left wing overall.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Call me a prude or party-pooper, or whatever, but I personally have no intention of NOT wearing a mask in any indoor setting until cases come back down again!

There. I said it!

and why shouldn’t you? If that makes you feel happy or safer, good luck to you.

It’s a bloody nuisance for me as a deaf man, but as an amiable sort of person I can live with it.

The fetish where everyone had to wear them all the time for dubious reasons was what was annoying me.
    I didn't know you were deaf, sorry!
    Why? It’s not your fault. (And to be strictly accurate, I’m hard of hearing not deaf.)

It did make teaching when everyone was wearing masks both very, very difficult and physically painful as well. Which would have been acceptable, or at least, endurable had they been any use, but the evidence is at best limited.

It’s one of the many things this year that have left me exhausted and disillusioned.
    I think masks made me realise I was a bit deaf: I was asking pupils to take their masks off to speak at the end of term otherwise I couldn't hear some of them.

I'm sorry, but not surprised, to hear you are disillusioned. We need good teachers and you are obviously one. Unfortunately it seems the good teachers care too much, try their best and end up burned out.

Me, I've just finished my 29th year of teaching.
    Thank you for the flattery. :smile:

Well, next year I have a better timetable. And I will not be charging from room to room. We will see what that brings.

But right now, I’m feeling strongly tempted just to walk away and try something different. If they launch another attack on our pensions that would probably tip the balance.
    Not having to move from room to room should make a big difference: it is one of the priorities we have when we write the timetable to make sure as many teachers as possible have their own classroom. The ones that have to move the most are either SLT or science teachers (as we have a limited number of labs in a variety of sizes so not all classes can be taught in all labs), so perhaps ironically I can't enforce this for myself.

Try taking two or three weeks completely away from even thinking about school if you can; I find it makes a big difference.
    I’ve got everything ready for September so I don’t actually need to think about it at all. Did my mark book and online learning resources for the first week back today, as it happens.

But whether I will be able to stop thinking about education is a different question given how agitated I am. I will try though as it seems good advice.
    I often think that there but for the grace of God... I retired from teaching 2 summers ago after 30 years in laboratorys, I am so glad I haven't had to go through the isolating/testing/masking and online teaching trauma. Though having said that I have spent a heck of a lot of time on Zoom tutoring my grandson in the GCSE science syllabus, which has been quite satisfying.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Fact

Hi pubman. You're doing this on purpose because you know I'm here aren't you? I'm not going to rise to the bait but I am going to have my typing finger broken.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

There is another issue, you need to adjust for different age demographics and also the size of the vulnerable population when this started i.e. if a country had a bad flu season the year before....if you want to try and tease out effect of covid.

I have seen a couple of papers that did this i think based on data up to around the later part of last year.
    This is crucial: if you have a really young population, then 100 excess deaths per 100,000 is massive. But if you have a really old one, then it's pretty small.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Matt hits bullseye again. Lol. Genius. Apologies if I am repeating:

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1417894274801283081
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Uh-oh...

steve jackson
    @goalprojection
    ·
    Jul 20
    "For the first time UK reported Covid-19 deaths are higher than my delta variant scenario. I created this scenario in mid June, and this looks to have underestimated the transmissibility of the delta variant - so will create an updated scenario."

https://twitter.com/goalprojection/status/1417591147195768837?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Sir Howard Davies says era of thousands of workers walking into its Bishopsgate office at 8.30am and out at 6pm are over" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/21/central-london-will-never-return-normal-says-natwest-chairman

I’m not central London, I’m a factory In Newton Aycliffe, but we have been told We will be 3 days in the office and 2 days out of the office when back to normal.

I won’t miss that journey, it’s hell especially as the A1 is mostly 2 lane.
    I read somewhere that one of the Tories' big plans for the north-east is to upgrade most of the main roads in that area to dual carriageway in each direction.
    Main thing they are doing in the North at the moment is dumping concrete under old railway bridges

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/jul/21/highways-england-may-have-to-reverse-act-of-cultural-vandalism

That’s appalling. But their defence is if anything even uglier:

Richard Marshall, HE’s historical railways estate director, said: “The bridge was deteriorating, and no weight restriction was in place, meaning it could be used by vehicles of any weight. The support provided by infilling the arch removes the risk of the bridge deck failing.”

If you were worried about heavy weights going over a weakened bridge, wouldn’t the obvious thing be to impose a fecking weight restriction, which takes about two hours and can easily be reversed later? Not spend thousands illegally creating an eyesore even the most drunken brutalist would flinch at?
    I think the next paragraph to your quote is key

“If the land issues get resolved… we’d be delighted to … remove the concrete at no cost”

Sounds like it’s a negotiating tactic about something
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

All other cartoonists just need to give up.....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

Frustrating thing for me is that all the parents of teenage kids I know, want them to be vaccinated. It may be a skewed sample as they are my uni colleagues, but there is a demand out there, and most don’t agree with the Jcvi on this. One is very afraid his kids will get long Covid.
    Yep I want my 13 year old son vaccinated as well. Having just had my daughter go down with the virus in spite of having had her first jab I know it is a vicious little bastard and would prefer that all my family were properly protected against it - at least as far as possible.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Fact

The idea that this is a hard left website is laughable. I would be hard pressed to describe it even as moderately left wing overall.
    He's just aving a laaarf. And it is quite funny tbf.
  • Options

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

Um... no link?
    Sorry I thought I'd pasted it: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Interrupting it for 5 minutes news bulletins about nothing in.particular did for the BBCs terrestrial broadcasting. The last straw was cutting to the news when Gooch was 299 not out.
    They lost the contract and deservedly so.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Fact

I think Londonpubman might just be having a bit of fun winding me up. We have these on going exchanges! If you're not careful you will be taking over from me with that post Richard.
  • Options

Foxy said:

France +21,539 cases.

So why is France lagging behind Germany and Italy then ?

Now compare the vaccination rates for each age group:

https://covidtracker.fr/vaccintracker/

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations?areaType=nation&areaName=England

Now maybe Macron will introduce harder and harder penalties to force more people to get vaccinated.

But I'd like to see some evidence beyond you wanting it to happen before I'll believe France will finish with a higher vaccination rate.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Uh-oh...

steve jackson
    @goalprojection
    ·
    Jul 20
    "For the first time UK reported Covid-19 deaths are higher than my delta variant scenario. I created this scenario in mid June, and this looks to have underestimated the transmissibility of the delta variant - so will create an updated scenario."

Doesn't really look like a problem unless he's suggesting his entire modelling is a complete load of cr*p.

I mean, apart from anything else, there are points where deaths are higher than his "trend line" for points in the past and which he already accounted for when creating the model!
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Uh-oh...

steve jackson
    @goalprojection
    ·
    Jul 20

No offence, but who is this guy and can i look at the science behind his model? For starters he has no probabilistic uncertainty ranges, never a good sign from anybody who knows anything about mathematical modelling.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Pb is not the news.media . The site does everything possible to put the boot into Boris. Most don't care and are looking to get out somewhere. We has a week away and had the telly on only for the final 10 mins of the Challenge Cup Final.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,220
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

I’m not central London, I’m a factory In Newton Aycliffe, but we have been told We will be 3 days in the office and 2 days out of the office when back to normal.

I read somewhere that one of the Tories' big plans for the north-east is to upgrade most of the main roads in that area to dual carriageway in each direction.
    Main thing they are doing in the North at the moment is dumping concrete under old railway bridges

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/jul/21/highways-england-may-have-to-reverse-act-of-cultural-vandalism

Richard Marshall, HE’s historical railways estate director, said: “The bridge was deteriorating, and no weight restriction was in place, meaning it could be used by vehicles of any weight. The support provided by infilling the arch removes the risk of the bridge deck failing.”

If you were worried about heavy weights going over a weakened bridge, wouldn’t the obvious thing be to impose a fecking weight restriction, which takes about two hours and can easily be reversed later? Not spend thousands illegally creating an eyesore even the most drunken brutalist would flinch at?

“If the land issues get resolved… we’d be delighted to … remove the concrete at no cost”

I'd also suggest that a pile of concrete like that would not pass inspection as improving anything in terms of mechanical safety. It could even make things worse....
  • Options

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

Um... no link?
    Sorry I thought I'd pasted it: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker
    Ah! Now I see it! Thanks, and yes, that does seem to support your assertion.
  • Options
    A lot of nasty criticisms appear to be coming through.

Very upsetting.

I may have to take a break from posting.

For a while. Until my phone has charged up again 👍

In the meantime take care and don't go out without a mask 😷
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Here’s an idea to combine cricket and horse racing (with a nod to football). 11 marketing people stand in the centre circle. 11 batsmen stand in one penalty area and try to knock them down before 11 horses from the other penalty area run them down.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Tim Spector, new cases climb.....new model, ~60k a day, 36k a day unvaxxed, 13k a day are fully vaxxed, 10k a day single dose.

https://youtu.be/KnCgQQ8yLAw

Gradual rise in vaxxed cases, still shooting up in unvaxxed. Previous reported plateau was due to flaw in model, as unvaxxed population using zoe app not representive of the general population.
  • Options

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

I'd also suggest that a pile of concrete like that would not pass inspection as improving anything in terms of mechanical safety. It could even make things worse....
    I wonder what the CO2 footprint of that pile of concrete is?
  • Options

France +21,539 cases.

Aside from the actual data there's plenty on the internet. For example:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210628/analysis-are-anti-vaxxers-the-reason-that-frances-vaccine-numbers-tailed-off/

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210530-covid-19-france-fears-a-summertime-vaccination-plateau-due-to-anti-vax-sentiment

And why do you think France started vaccinating kids and began threatening anti-vaxxers with sanctions ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

France +21,539 cases.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210628/analysis-are-anti-vaxxers-the-reason-that-frances-vaccine-numbers-tailed-off/

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210530-covid-19-france-fears-a-summertime-vaccination-plateau-due-to-anti-vax-sentiment

And why do you think France started vaccinating kids and began threatening anti-vaxxers with sanctions ?
    If the UK opened vaccination up to 12-17 year olds I suspect there would be a huge surge in the vaccination numbers.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Horse relay racing?

Chariots...
    Ben Hur style racing could be fun
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,354

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

That’s less than $200m at today’s prices, isn’t it ?
    Quite a few contemporary sportspeople have substantially higher lifetime earnings than that.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Zoe app data is bad....all those thoughts of well it was the footy and schools, will die down now, but zoe is real time, so footy is definitely out the picture and so will a lot of school transmission.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,238
    algarkirk said:

Excellent.

The new Private Eye cover is good too (and they seem to have changed their paper recently).
    https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1417742041363144705/photo/1
  • Options

Uh-oh...

steve jackson
    @goalprojection
    ·
    Jul 20

No offence, but who is this guy and can i look at the science behind his model? For starters he has no probabilistic uncertainty ranges, never a good sign from anybody who knows anything about mathematical modelling.
    He's an actuary. And sure there is no reason why his model should be any more scientific than anyone else's... in particular it'll be based on some assuptions unprovable in advance. But it has been pretty accurate until now (and may still be if the latest data is just noise).

I offer it up for interest only, not to make any significant point.

Here's an earlier tweet of his explaining the model (before he adjusted it for the (estimated) greater transmisibility of delta).

https://twitter.com/goalprojection/status/1370682788496687106?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

Quite a few contemporary sportspeople have substantially higher lifetime earnings than that.
    It depends how you measure it. By some measurements it would be many billions in today's money.

He famously had enough wealth that he could have paid the entire Roman armies wages for a couple of months. So some have made a comparison to the equivalent of the US armies wages for a couple of months.
  • Options
    RobD said:

France +21,539 cases.

If the UK opened vaccination up to 12-17 year olds I suspect there would be a huge surge in the vaccination numbers.
    Perhaps more likely a when rather than an if.

Interestingly in England the vaccination rate of the 1824 age group is about to overtake that of the 2529s.

Parental pressure perhaps ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

A year of Messi.
  • Options

Uh-oh...

steve jackson
    @goalprojection
    ·
    Jul 20

He's an actuary. And sure there is no reason why his model should be any more scientific than anyone else's... in particular it'll be based on some assuptions unprovable in advance. But it has been pretty accurate until now (and may still be if the latest data is just noise).

Here's an earlier tweet of his explaining the model (before he adjusted it for the (estimated) greater transmisibility of delta).

That doesn't tell me anything about his model.
  • Options

Zoe app data is bad....all those thoughts of well it was the footy and schools, will die down now, but zoe is real time, so footy is definitely out the picture and so will a lot of school transmission.

300,000 cases a day soon. I have said that before. But lots of COVID deniers on here so sssssh.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,220

The cases seem to have moved to a new slope...

• Options

I presume you mean the data is good but the implications are bad?
  • Options

They've redone it.

So cannot compare to previous numbers.

We'll have to see how it changes from now on.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Fact

I think Londonpubman might just be having a bit of fun winding me up. We have these on going exchanges! If you're not careful you will be taking over from me with that post Richard.
    I think so too!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Uh-oh...

steve jackson
    @goalprojection
    ·
    Jul 20

Indeed. What actually are the variables in the model?
  • Options

I presume you mean the data is good but the implications are bad?
    Sorry yes.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

The cases seem to have moved to a new slope...

Diamond or double diamond?
  • Options
    Anyway of to bed. Lots of COVID around so stay in if you can! Goodnight.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902

Has anyone been to a pub without a mask yet?

Yes, two. Literally nobody was wearing a mask in either pub, and you had to order from the bar (no apps or table waiting).

I also went to Sainsbury’s today - no mask. I’d say in there it was more 50/50.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Horse relay racing?

Chariots...
    Ben Hur style racing could be fun
    "We keep you alive to serve this blog! Write well and live!"
  • Options
    edited July 2021

They've redone it.

I don't think the raw number is necessarily the thing to note, its proportions and trend. but he explains the flaw, which some of us previously pointed out, too skewed to those who are vaxxed as the likes of Piers Corbyn types arent going to report their health every day to an app.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

At today's prices though.
    There is a lot more gold been discovered now for a start.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    alex_ said:

MattW said:

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

The public haven't had it explained why it is a bad idea. It is a national digital id trojan horse. We will never be rid of it and it will be expanded.

Not that Starmer would be up to that.
    It's instant herd immunity in crowded venues.
    Whatever else one thinks of Macron, his past statements on vaccines, or even the questions on vaxports (which I think are a different issue in U.K. to France - we are far more likely to build a whole massive digital infrastructure behind them), I was very impressed by the simple way he sold them today with just a single, powerful sentence, that probably sums up ultimately what millions are thinking.
    Can you quote it.

I think the one Scott tweeted was not actually in his speech.
    I don’t know where he did (or didn’t!) say it. It was the line about basically saying he was damned if he was going to continue to lockdown, to deny his children an education etc etc for the sake of people who refused to get the vaccine. And that they can bl**dy well be the ones to stay at home from now on.

Probably the sort of thing that Johnson would get into trouble for if he said it off the record to Cummings.
    I'm getting confused here. Macron hasn't got any children.
    Please can you link to what you are referring to.

I don't think anything Macron could say would be able to sell the passport to the millions in France who oppose the idea, which includes many who are vaccinated, but I'm interested in how he's going about trying.
  • Options

They've redone it.

Zoe contributors unsurprisingly more likely than the average population to be vaccinated - makes it difficult for them to estimate case levels amongst the unvaccinated.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216

Yes, two. Literally nobody was wearing a mask in either pub, and you had to order from the bar (no apps or table waiting).

My pub has been pinged shut
  • Options

They've redone it.

I don't think the raw number is necessarily the thing to note, its proportions and trend. but he explains the flaw, which some of us previously pointed out, too skewed to those who are vaxxed as the likes of Piers Corbyn types arent going to report their health every day to an app.
    But didn't the Zoe data show much higher infection among the non-vaccinated to the vaccinated ?

Now if there's another segment of anti-vaxxers who weren't being picked up wouldn't that suggest that the proportion of infection among the unvaccinated to vaccinated is even higher than previously believed ?
  • Options

Uh-oh...

steve jackson
    @goalprojection
    ·
    Jul 20

Indeed. What actually are the variables in the model?
    I don't know. Ignore it - it's probably all voodoo.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the Hundred and think it will be popular despite the usual grumbles from the driving-glove brigade on here.

I even liked the old school computer graphics!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

There's a lot of stuff going on. Jurisdiction and bureaucrat wars :-). It's to do with future use of former railway lines.

Land of Ms @Cyclefree

https://twitter.com/theHREgroup/status/1417456218482876420

https://twitter.com/theHREgroup?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
  • Options

They've redone it.

But didn't the Zoe data show much higher infection among the non-vaccinated to the vaccinated ?

Now if there's another segment of anti-vaxxers who weren't being picked up wouldn't that suggest that the proportion of infection among the unvaccinated to vaccinated is even higher than previously believed ?
    One would like to think that they allowed for that in their overall calculation. I.e. if only 1% of Zoe contributors are unvaccinateed but the UK figure is 12% unvaccinated, they'd weight the proportion of unvaccinated Zoe contributors who are positive accordingly.

The problem arises when the number of unvaccinated Zoe contributors gets so small as to be unrepresentaive.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Should have banned mobile phones...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mine was just like the old days, grumpy old bar manager who has been there far too long chastising the pretty barmaid for some technical error on how she pulled my pint. She rolled her eyes and snapped back at him. I just watched and enjoyed the joys of real life sans effing app.
This discussion has been closed.