Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Two very different General Election outcomes from this week’s polls – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    MaxPB said:

Has anyone been to a pub without a mask yet?

Yes, yesterday in suburban north London. Not many masks, bar service, standing and drinking at the bar, chatting to the barmaid who was very happy to not be wearing a mask all day. Also no mandatory check in to sign in. Just walk in, go to the bar and order. It was amazing.

Life is returning to normal.
    I got a funny look when I wore a mask to the toilet in the pub just now 😷
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,124

Wor Lass went into a shop today without one. Not deliberately so, she just forgot to put it on.
    Same here in the pub last night. The two barmen working did not have masks. I got my pint and then headed to seats outside and then realised I was planning to still wear mine to go to the bar and had forgotten.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,175
    Taz said:

The logos of both teams look like the branding on thirds rate craft beers.

Manchester "Originals"? Why not just call themselves "The The" :lol:
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,592

Cookie said:

I'd probably feel more affiliation to it if they named all the teams after the various crisp types featuring as sponsors on the uniforms. I want to see Manchester Hula Hoops versus Leeds KP Nuts.

Big issues with the chosen regions. Who are the SW supposed to root for? The welsh one? Southern one? Strong cricket base in Taunton and Bristol, but no side.
    And why can't I watch a match at Chester Le Street?
    If the need was to give the game more prominence, why not just show the county T20 tournament - which is perfect as it is - on terrestrial TV?
    To give the women equal prominence realistically it needed to be new teams and fewer teams.
    Can anyone give an idiots guide as to why?

Why couldn't each County have a woman's team?
    TV wouldnt show that many matches.
    It would take too many weeks to maintain a buzz.
    The players would be needed for other formats and internationals.
    The counties are run by committees who wouldnt give women equal priority, coaching, time or facilities.
  • TazTaz Posts: 11,000
    “OVAL INVINCIBLE WIN’ graphic is like it was written on a ZX81.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,373
    edited July 2021
    The graphics remind me of my first ever computer, the ZX Spectrum.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,072

This has been a decent game to be fair.

Catches win matches and they dropped the match.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

MaxPB said:

Yes, yesterday in suburban north London. Not many masks, bar service, standing and drinking at the bar, chatting to the barmaid who was very happy to not be wearing a mask all day. Also no mandatory check in to sign in. Just walk in, go to the bar and order. It was amazing.

You do you mate. If you want to wear a mask don't let anyone pressure you not to.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564

Taz said:

Makes me think of the team formerly known as the Redkins, the Washington Football Team. Granted that is how a lot of our teams are known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Football_Team

I think it'd be funny if they kept it that bland on a permanent basis.

Cookie said:

I'd probably feel more affiliation to it if they named all the teams after the various crisp types featuring as sponsors on the uniforms. I want to see Manchester Hula Hoops versus Leeds KP Nuts.

Big issues with the chosen regions. Who are the SW supposed to root for? The welsh one? Southern one? Strong cricket base in Taunton and Bristol, but no side.
    And why can't I watch a match at Chester Le Street?
    If the need was to give the game more prominence, why not just show the county T20 tournament - which is perfect as it is - on terrestrial TV?
    To give the women equal prominence realistically it needed to be new teams and fewer teams.
    Can anyone give an idiots guide as to why?

Why couldn't each County have a woman's team?
    TV wouldnt show that many matches.
    It would take too many weeks to maintain a buzz.
    The players would be needed for other formats and internationals.
    The counties are run by committees who wouldnt give women equal priority, coaching, time or facilities.
    There’s isn’t, yet, the strength in depth of the women’s game but it will come.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You do you mate. If you want to wear a mask don't let anyone pressure you not to.
    My friend has just gone up the bar to order a beer. Wearing a mask. 👍

MaxPB said:

Was that because it was a gimp mask ?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,963
    France +21,539 cases.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,561

Taz said:

Trying to attract a young audience and they name the team after an old bloke's favourite sweet.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,072

Call me a prude or party-pooper, or whatever, but I personally have no intention of NOT wearing a mask in any indoor setting until cases come back down again!

There. I said it!

and why shouldn’t you? If that makes you feel happy or safer, good luck to you.

It’s a bloody nuisance for me as a deaf man, but as an amiable sort of person I can live with it.

The fetish where everyone had to wear them all the time for dubious reasons was what was annoying me.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,124
    Yaniv Erlich
    @erlichya
    ·
    Jul 20
    Replying to
    @erlichya
    Increasing lines of evidence from Israel suggest a massive drop in the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine to prevent *transmission* of Delta. Recent numbers suggest ~60% compared to ~90% against previous VoC.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

France +21,539 cases.

Roger will be along shortly gloating that its fewer cases than in Blighty.

I hope France get to grips with their antivaxxers because they really do need to catch up, the surge is on.

Yaniv Erlich
    @erlichya
    ·
    Jul 20
    Replying to
    @erlichya
    Increasing lines of evidence from Israel suggest a massive drop in the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine to prevent *transmission* of Delta. Recent numbers suggest ~60% compared to ~90% against previous VoC.

It would be good to get some data on whether there is truth in the theory that an eight week dosing gap is better for Pfizer than the three week one. Would explain why the JCVI are dragging their heels on bringing forward second jabs.

Though right now I can't wrap my head around the JCVI's thinking. Between that and not jabbing children its like they've been taken over by Toby Young and Julia Hartley-Brewer.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Yes, and have been doing for a long time, our local village pub has been more than pushing the rules for some time, and I love it :)

The bar made and land lord, know almost all the customers and where they live, so all very friendly :)
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,672
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

The vaccine success story which BoJo is always eager to remind us has nothing like the potency it had now that other neighbours in Europe have almost caught up or surpassed the UK.

A brave comment considering the possibility of how European countries may be hammered by Delta.

And which European countries are you expecting to surpass the UK on vaccinations ?

Also everyone targeted their most vulnerable population first.

The EU peak was lower than the UK one anyway.
    Are those actually true?

Certainly certain European countries went for "health professionals first", but I'd acccept that as relatively marginal. Good summary here:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/overview-implementation-covid-19-vaccination-strategies-and-deployment-plans

There were EU peaks above and below the UK. There were far too many UK vs EU average graphs in the media, which did not recognise diversity amongst the EU 27.

And quite a few countries partly o fully caught up the UK on deaths etc because they did not suppress the 2nd wave ever. Belgium is an example.
    THere are countries in Eastern Europe with higher and longer lasting peaks than the UK. Belgium did relatively better on the second wave. The first wave was grim.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416

been to a few shops without masks but tend to only go to pubs at the weekend
    FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

The vaccine success story which BoJo is always eager to remind us has nothing like the potency it had now that other neighbours in Europe have almost caught up or surpassed the UK.

A brave comment considering the possibility of how European countries may be hammered by Delta.

And which European countries are you expecting to surpass the UK on vaccinations ?

Are those actually true?

Certainly certain European countries went for "health professionals first", but I'd acccept that as relatively marginal. Good summary here:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/overview-implementation-covid-19-vaccination-strategies-and-deployment-plans

There were EU peaks above and below the UK. There were far too many UK vs EU average graphs in the media, which did not recognise diversity amongst the EU 27.

And quite a few countries partly o fully caught up the UK on deaths etc because they did not suppress the 2nd wave ever. Belgium is an example.
    THere are countries in Eastern Europe with higher and longer lasting peaks than the UK. Belgium did relatively better on the second wave. The first wave was grim.
    Its also worth comparing Excess Deaths and not officially registered Covid deaths.

Much of Europe has really under-recorded their deaths in the officially registered Covid category compared to their excess deaths, while the UK is the other way around.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,175
    ydoethur said:

Call me a prude or party-pooper, or whatever, but I personally have no intention of NOT wearing a mask in any indoor setting until cases come back down again!

There. I said it!

It’s a bloody nuisance for me as a deaf man, but as an amiable sort of person I can live with it.

The fetish where everyone had to wear them all the time for dubious reasons was what was annoying me.
    I didn't know you were deaf, sorry!
    BigRich said:

Yes, and have been doing for a long time, our local village pub has been more than pushing the rules for some time, and I love it :)

The bar made and land lord, know almost all the customers and where they live, so all very friendly :)
    I took my mask off to slurp the beer 👍

France +21,539 cases.

Spain at +30,598 today
    edited July 2021
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

"Central London will never return to normal, says NatWest chairman
    Sir Howard Davies says era of thousands of workers walking into its Bishopsgate office at 8.30am and out at 6pm are over" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/21/central-london-will-never-return-normal-says-natwest-chairman

I’m not central London, I’m a factory In Newton Aycliffe, but we have been told We will be 3 days in the office and 2 days out of the office when back to normal.

I won’t miss that journey, it’s hell especially as the A1 is mostly 2 lane.
    I read somewhere that one of the Tories' big plans for the north-east is to upgrade most of the main roads in that area to dual carriageway in each direction.
    Main thing they are doing in the North at the moment is dumping concrete under old railway bridges

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/jul/21/highways-england-may-have-to-reverse-act-of-cultural-vandalism

That’s appalling. But their defence is if anything even uglier:

Richard Marshall, HE’s historical railways estate director, said: “The bridge was deteriorating, and no weight restriction was in place, meaning it could be used by vehicles of any weight. The support provided by infilling the arch removes the risk of the bridge deck failing.”

If you were worried about heavy weights going over a weakened bridge, wouldn’t the obvious thing be to impose a fecking weight restriction, which takes about two hours and can easily be reversed later? Not spend thousands illegally creating an eyesore even the most drunken brutalist would flinch at?
    To argue slightly against my own point, there is of course a serious issue at stake here. Many of our most iconic railway bridges are north of 160 years old, and were designed to last maybe 150 years. They are carrying far greater weights than they were designed for, and in the case of under bridges, trains travelling at nearly triple the speeds of the trains they were designed for. So - we need to accept that something will need to be done. Many have already been extensively repaired and renovated during rail upgrades. Others however may have to be replaced. Or simply demolished.

At the same time, there is no excuse whatsoever for a pig’s lughole like that. None. I hope the person who authorised it is prosecuted for littering.

As a further aside, this is an issue that is - much more rapidly - affecting our motorway network. What they found when repairing the Oldbury viaducts - and because of the amount of disruption they could only do partial repairs, not a full renewal or the bridge deck - should worry us all. It’s not that long since a motorway bridge collapsed in Genoa, and without big money being spent and much disruption being tolerated it could happen here.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,534

France +21,539 cases.

I hope France get to grips with their antivaxxers because they really do need to catch up, the surge is on.
    France's latest daily vaccination rate is higher than the UK's best day according to OWID.

No sign that they're running out of people wanting vaccinations; unlike the UK, sadly.

• ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174
    @kinabalu FPT

You said ... [I was responding to a poster who opined that Rashford's campaigning is driven by desire for profile and money and public adoration and honours. He knows this because he self identifies as an "old cynic". Which he is if this is the new term for "utter wanker".]

Wow ... just wow! That's me told. Pardon me for not buying in to the group think on Marcus Rashford and for having the temerity to question the motivations and objectives of a clearly professionally managed PR campaign. Tell me where to go for "re-education".

I really don't get why you've resorted to this kind of abuse, kinabalu, ... you're better than that.

Anyway, we can leave it there; you have your view and I have mine and that's OK (isn't it?).
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,881

France +21,539 cases.

France's latest daily vaccination rate is higher than the UK's best day according to OWID.

No sign that they're running out of people wanting vaccinations; unlike the UK, sadly.

They're vaccinating 12 - 17 and are further behind in the rollout so it will be expected. They're also incentivising vaccination more than we are here.
    edited July 2021

ydoethur said:

There. I said it!

Why? It’s not your fault. (And to be strictly accurate, I’m hard of hearing not deaf.)

It did make teaching when everyone was wearing masks both very, very difficult and physically painful as well. Which would have been acceptable, or at least, endurable had they been any use, but the evidence is at best limited.

It’s one of the many things this year that have left me exhausted and disillusioned.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

been to a few shops without masks but tend to only go to pubs at the weekend
    As a shopkeeper, a few observations:

- We've had 7 customers since opening yesterday (thats actually about normal, we sell rather expensive items).
    - 5 of them wore masks and spent less than 5 minutes in the shop
    - The other 2 were so delighted that we were not, and that we were happy for them not to; they stayed much longer and both spent serious amounts.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Shopping is, for some, a pleasure. It is for me too. Not wearing a mask has returned some of that pleasure. Of living in the moment, of not being in fear, of not being too hot or being able to smell my own breath/mints.

On Monday I got BEAMING smiles from all the unmasked staff pretty much EVERYWHERE in the rural town where the shop is. Each day the % not wearing masks in delis, butchers, bakers and supermarkets seems to be increasing. Monday, 15% weren't, Tuesday it was about 30%, by today I think its up to 50-60%.

What is pleasing is that I haven't heard any judgement either; no 'take that mask off' or 'why aren't you wearing masks' etc. Removing the legal mandate has made everybody less grumpy it seems. A good move.

Now, if only this govt stopped this nonsense about the vaxports I might be able to proactively support them again....
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,324
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Sir Howard Davies says era of thousands of workers walking into its Bishopsgate office at 8.30am and out at 6pm are over" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/21/central-london-will-never-return-normal-says-natwest-chairman

I’m not central London, I’m a factory In Newton Aycliffe, but we have been told We will be 3 days in the office and 2 days out of the office when back to normal.

I read somewhere that one of the Tories' big plans for the north-east is to upgrade most of the main roads in that area to dual carriageway in each direction.
    Main thing they are doing in the North at the moment is dumping concrete under old railway bridges

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/jul/21/highways-england-may-have-to-reverse-act-of-cultural-vandalism

Richard Marshall, HE’s historical railways estate director, said: “The bridge was deteriorating, and no weight restriction was in place, meaning it could be used by vehicles of any weight. The support provided by infilling the arch removes the risk of the bridge deck failing.”

If you were worried about heavy weights going over a weakened bridge, wouldn’t the obvious thing be to impose a fecking weight restriction, which takes about two hours and can easily be reversed later? Not spend thousands illegally creating an eyesore even the most drunken brutalist would flinch at?
    To argue slightly against my own point, there is of course a serious issue at stake here. Many of our most iconic railway bridges are north of 160 years old, and were designed to last maybe 150 years. They are carrying far greater weights than they were designed for, and in the case of under bridges, trains travelling at nearly triple the speeds of the trains they were designed for. So - we need to accept that something will need to be done. Many have already been extensively repaired and renovated during rail upgrades. Others however may have to be replaced. Or simply demolished.

At the same time, there is no excuse whatsoever for a pig’s lughole like that. None. I hope the person who authorised it is prosecuted for littering.

As a further aside, this is an issue that is - much more rapidly - affecting our motorway network. What they found when repairing the Oldbury viaducts - and because of the amount of disruption they could only do partial repairs, not a full renewal or the bridge deck - should worry us all. It’s not that long since a motorway bridge collapsed in Genoa, and without big money being spent and much disruption being tolerated it could happen here.
    There should be a more elegant reinforcement system possible, even for a bridge this simple.

I think the most attractive strengthened bridge I have seen is the Britannia Bridge at Anglesey.

France +21,539 cases.

Good for them. Though they're running a bit late so makes it easier to have more arms available for catching up unlike the UK.

Currently (OWID data) they're
    8 weeks behind in first doses (they're now up to where we were 23 May)
    6 weeks behind in second doses (they're now up to where we were 8 June)
    4 weeks behind in new cases
    2 weeks behind in test positivite rate.

So they're between a couple of weeks and a month behind us in vaccinations, for the same point in the wave. Hopefully that won't cause issues for them, especially since they'll have more only-just-given jabs in arms that won't have had time to get full immunity yet.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,079

Taz said:

The New Originals.
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

There should be a more elegant reinforcement system possible, even for a bridge this simple.

I think the most attractive strengthened bridge I have seen is the Britannia Bridge at Anglesey.
    That’s one of the ones I was thinking of, although of course it was rather forced on BR by outside events. And of course the piers may need some attention soon.

But even in 1962, Rolt was commenting in his biography of Stephenson, ‘how long these wonderful bridges can continue to perform their function is a question of concern.’

And sixty years on, not much has changed.
    Sky just advertised "The Hundred begins tomorrow on Sky Sports" during the Sky News ad break.

Errr . . . so much for putting the women's game on the same footing! 🤦‍♂️

Sky just advertised "The Hundred begins tomorrow on Sky Sports" during the Sky News ad break.

That’s pretty poor
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

People have always managed to make even infrastructure look impressive or elegant if they want, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect it.
    Taz said:

That’s pretty poor
    Not as poor as the ECB will be by the time this competition has been paid for.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,818
    DougSeal said:

Taz said:

The New Originals.
    The Thamesmen
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,024

France +21,539 cases.

Have you noticed that France is nine million behind the UK on first does despite having vaccinated well over a million under 18s and that Macron had to resort to threats to the anti-vaxxers over a week ago ?
    edited July 2021
    FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

My Belgium point is that a number of countries in the EU core never thoroughly suppressed the infection after Christmas - Be were above the "200" case level all the way from Nov to June, which in the circs led to a continual upticking of deaths. Others eg iirc Portugal did not have that residual.

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,174

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

https://mobile.twitter.com/richardosman/status/1417914636444311555

Richard Osman
    @richardosman
    Really enjoying #TheHundred. This is going to do great business for the BBC, and great long-term business for cricket. Formatable live sport is so vital for terrestrial TV, and vice-versa.

The graphics are pretty poor.
    Graphics are fixable, the format isn't
    All these people claiming that the BBC is time limited in what it can show on it’s TV channels needs to take a closer look at its schedules... If it can basically block book 2 weeks for Wimbledon, it can find time for a few mid week 3 hour cricket matches!
    I am reminded of the anguish when the BBC first lost the rights to cricket. Trembling lip"But we have a *right* to cricket, to fill the afternoons. Unless we need to interrupt it for a special announcement about nothing in particular"
    Or indeed sodding horse racing.
    The BBC did not lose horseracing. It decided to drop horseracing.

Horseracing is about to start its own version of cricket's Hundred, with yet another attempt to turn racing into a team sport. There must be a whole industry dedicated to having stupid ideas about sport.
    edited July 2021

France +21,539 cases.

Good for them. Though they're running a bit late so makes it easier to have more arms available for catching up unlike the UK.

So they're between a couple of weeks and a month behind us in vaccinations, for the same point in the wave. Hopefully that won't cause issues for them, especially since they'll have more only-just-given jabs in arms that won't have had time to get full immunity yet.
    I don't disagree with any of that.

My post was a response to yours about France needing to get a grip with their anti-vaxxers. So far there is no sign of them experiencing any more anti-vaxxer sentiment than the UK.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There. I said it!

Why? It’s not your fault. (And to be strictly accurate, I’m hard of hearing not deaf.)

It did make teaching when everyone was wearing masks both very, very difficult and physically painful as well. Which would have been acceptable, or at least, endurable had they been any use, but the evidence is at best limited.

It’s one of the many things this year that have left me exhausted and disillusioned.
    I think masks made me realise I was a bit deaf: I was asking pupils to take their masks off to speak at the end of term otherwise I couldn't hear some of them.

I'm sorry, but not surprised, to hear you are disillusioned. We need good teachers and you are obviously one. Unfortunately it seems the good teachers care too much, try their best and end up burned out.

Me, I've just finished my 29th year of teaching.
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

That’s pretty poor
    I don't want to see the ECB out of pocket. The ECB have done some really good things for English Cricket since the 90s, especially the introduction of central contracts etc - the difference between the state of English Cricket when I was a POME Bastard in school downunder in the 90s, to the modern game, is like night and day.
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

That’s pretty poor

Totally deserved.
    edited July 2021
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

People have always managed to make even infrastructure look impressive or elegant if they want, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect it.
    Between the old hometown of @Mexicanpete (Ledbury) and my own birthplace in Newent there is an old railway line. At a small hamlet called Four Oaks, this ran through a deep cutting, requiring a bridge for the local road (and later, in 1958, one for the M50 motorway).

In 1968 the bridge needed repairs or replacing, so the railway having been closed, BR simply filled in the cutting with rubble and earth, planted it with wildflowers and left it as a meadow.

It looks stunningly beautiful. And the bridge is still there - just no longer hanging unsupported.

And I cannot imagine it would have been more expensive than *that* disaster.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman
    Really enjoying #TheHundred. This is going to do great business for the BBC, and great long-term business for cricket. Formatable live sport is so vital for terrestrial TV, and vice-versa.

All these people claiming that the BBC is time limited in what it can show on it’s TV channels needs to take a closer look at its schedules... If it can basically block book 2 weeks for Wimbledon, it can find time for a few mid week 3 hour cricket matches!
    I am reminded of the anguish when the BBC first lost the rights to cricket. Trembling lip"But we have a *right* to cricket, to fill the afternoons. Unless we need to interrupt it for a special announcement about nothing in particular"

Horseracing is about to start its own version of cricket's Hundred, with yet another attempt to turn racing into a team sport. There must be a whole industry dedicated to having stupid ideas about sport.
    Sounds like a perfect job for Big Dom Consulting....
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

For my tea, I have had a homemade pizza* followed by a Chorley Cake.

It then dawned on me that a Chorley Cake would make a perfect base for a mini pizza.

*Chorizo, cheddar and sun dried tomato. No fruit.

I don’t think “sun drying” stops tomato being fruit…
    DougSeal said:

Taz said:

The New Originals.
    This feels like that scene in "This Is Spın̈al Tap" where they are going though the names the band had before it became Spın̈al Tap.
    ridaligo said:

@kinabalu FPT

You said ... [I was responding to a poster who opined that Rashford's campaigning is driven by desire for profile and money and public adoration and honours. He knows this because he self identifies as an "old cynic". Which he is if this is the new term for "utter wanker".]

Wow ... just wow! That's me told. Pardon me for not buying in to the group think on Marcus Rashford and for having the temerity to question the motivations and objectives of a clearly professionally managed PR campaign. Tell me where to go for "re-education".

I really don't get why you've resorted to this kind of abuse, kinabalu, ... you're better than that.

Anyway, we can leave it there; you have your view and I have mine and that's OK (isn't it?).

That was rude and over the top from kinabalu, if he is around suggest he has another look.

I still don't agree or to be honest really even understand your problem with Rashford but you took the time to politely answer my questions on it in the earlier discussion.
    edited July 2021

France +21,539 cases.

Have you noticed that France is nine million behind the UK on first does despite having vaccinated well over a million under 18s and that Macron had to resort to threats to the anti-vaxxers over a week ago ?
    Yes. See my other response to @Philip_Thompson.

I do not contend that France are not behind us; I merely point out that they are showing no sign of hitting an anti-vaxxer wall.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There. I said it!

I think masks made me realise I was a bit deaf: I was asking pupils to take their masks off to speak at the end of term otherwise I couldn't hear some of them.

I'm sorry, but not surprised, to hear you are disillusioned. We need good teachers and you are obviously one. Unfortunately it seems the good teachers care too much, try their best and end up burned out.

Thank you for the flattery. :smile:

Well, next year I have a better timetable. And I will not be charging from room to room. We will see what that brings.

But right now, I’m feeling strongly tempted just to walk away and try something different. If they launch another attack on our pensions that would probably tip the balance.
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

My Belgium point is that a number of countries in the EU core never thoroughly suppressed the infection after Christmas - Be were above the "200" case level all the way from Nov to June, which in the circs led to a continual upticking of deaths. Others eg iirc Portugal did not have that residual.

If you look at excess deaths, some countries like Italy's figures are even worse.

Italy has seen 238 excess deaths per 100k [and still rising every single week] by the time their data ends on 2nd May.

And still people claim Britain is the worst-hit nation in Europe. Its not even close to being so. 😕

We are doing a lot more testing than most places, so comparisons of cease are not that as informative as one might like,

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,818

Horse relay racing?

Chariots...

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

If you look at excess deaths, some countries like Italy's figures are even worse.

Italy has seen 238 excess deaths per 100k [and still rising every single week] by the time their data ends on 2nd May.

And still people claim Britain is the worst-hit nation in Europe. Its not even close to being so. 😕
    Is there a site that gathers together the excess deaths data for all countries?
    edited July 2021

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horseracing is about to start its own version of cricket's Hundred, with yet another attempt to turn racing into a team sport.
    Can't we just go back to chariot racing then?

Edit: Beaten to it I see.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,073

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

I think you missed my point. Bbc used to drive me mad leaving the cricket to show horse racing.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,468
    Scott_xP said:

Horse relay racing?

Chariots...
    Put blades on their axles and I might watch.

France +21,539 cases.

I don't disagree with any of that.

My post was a response to yours about France needing to get a grip with their anti-vaxxers. So far there is no sign of them experiencing any more anti-vaxxer sentiment than the UK.
    Ah I see, I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying.

There is some evidence that there was some anti-vaxx sentiment that has then reversed as people have seen Delta surge (and the vaxport has been introduced there nudging people into getting it). France were slipping further and further behind countries like Germany, not just the UK, and are now catching up as people come forward.

Hopefully enough of the antivaxx sentiment reverses and they don't hit a wall any time soon.

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

Economist occasional updates. Latest 13 July.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

This is the best I've seen. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Just note that some countries data can be months out of date, plus they only update the page once every few weeks its not daily updated like OWID:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

I think you missed my point. Bbc used to drive me mad leaving the cricket to show horse racing.
    Or on the radio leaving the cricket for the shipping forecast! Perhaps the ships really needed it, but nothing could be more dull.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

Economist has something.

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

That’s pretty poor
    I don't want to see the ECB out of pocket. The ECB have done some really good things for English Cricket since the 90s, especially the introduction of central contracts etc - the difference between the state of English Cricket when I was a POME Bastard in school downunder in the 90s, to the modern game, is like night and day.
    I don’t *want* to see them out of pocket, because they would respond by withdrawing funding to the counties and concentrating on franchise cricket full time. Disaster for English cricket however you look at it.

But I think that’s where they’re going. The whole thing is an utter shambles.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There. I said it!

Well, next year I have a better timetable. And I will not be charging from room to room. We will see what that brings.

But right now, I’m feeling strongly tempted just to walk away and try something different. If they launch another attack on our pensions that would probably tip the balance.
    Not having to move from room to room should make a big difference: it is one of the priorities we have when we write the timetable to make sure as many teachers as possible have their own classroom. The ones that have to move the most are either SLT or science teachers (as we have a limited number of labs in a variety of sizes so not all classes can be taught in all labs), so perhaps ironically I can't enforce this for myself.

Try taking two or three weeks completely away from even thinking about school if you can; I find it makes a big difference.

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Or on the radio leaving the cricket for the shipping forecast! Perhaps the ships really needed it, but nothing could be more dull.
    Its not just the BBC doing it, it used to happen downunder too. Be watching The Ashes and they'd cut away for a horse race, then come back and a wicket would have fallen.

The introduction of enough channels not to have that happen is a very good thing.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,538
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Horse relay racing?

Chariots...
    Hubs surely ...
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,073

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

I can forgive that one as there is a magic about the shipping forecast (and I’m a weather geek). Plus on digital they don’t go away, just on long wave.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

This is the best I've seen. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Just note that some countries data can be months out of date, plus they only update the page once every few weeks its not daily updated like OWID:
    There is another issue, you need to adjust for different age demographics and also the size of the vulnerable population when this started i.e. if a country had a bad flu season the year before....if you want to try and tease out effect of covid.

I have seen a couple of papers that did this i think based on data up to around the later part of last year.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,538
    Charles said:

For my tea, I have had a homemade pizza* followed by a Chorley Cake.

It then dawned on me that a Chorley Cake would make a perfect base for a mini pizza.

*Chorizo, cheddar and sun dried tomato. No fruit.

I don’t think “sun drying” stops tomato being fruit…
    Raisins, currants and sultanas wave hello.

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Its not just the BBC doing it, it used to happen downunder too. Be watching The Ashes and they'd cut away for a horse race, then come back and a wicket would have fallen.

The introduction of enough channels not to have that happen is a very good thing.
    Australia used to have all sorts of weird rules. Like if there weren't enough people in the ground they'd remove TV coverage of the after tea sessions.
    edited July 2021

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There. I said it!

Not having to move from room to room should make a big difference: it is one of the priorities we have when we write the timetable to make sure as many teachers as possible have their own classroom. The ones that have to move the most are either SLT or science teachers (as we have a limited number of labs in a variety of sizes so not all classes can be taught in all labs), so perhaps ironically I can't enforce this for myself.

Try taking two or three weeks completely away from even thinking about school if you can; I find it makes a big difference.
    I’ve got everything ready for September so I don’t actually need to think about it at all. Did my mark book and online learning resources for the first week back today, as it happens.

But whether I will be able to stop thinking about education is a different question given how agitated I am. I will try though as it seems good advice.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,174

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

In July 2021 for 6 weeks, 12 teams will go head to head every Thursday evening in 6 races each worth £50k in prize money and a total of 100 points.

Points will be awarded in each race from 25 points to the winner down to 1 point for 10th place.

The team with the most points after 36 races wins the Racing League.

So that’s 6 weeks, 12 teams, 36 races, 3,600 points and over £2m in prize money up for grabs.

https://www.racingleague.uk/
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There. I said it!

I’ve got everything ready for September so I don’t actually need to think about it at all. Did my mark book and online learning resources for the first week back today, as it happens.

But whether I will be able to stop thinking about education is a different question given how agitated I am. I will try though as it seems good advice.
    In which case I will stop asking you about it!
    Very scary

I and my friend were the last people in the bar at a regional centre somewhere in the Midlands. Everyone else has gone home.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,030
    ridaligo said:

@kinabalu FPT

You're another softhead bigot trying to dress your softhead bigotry up as "man of the world" cynical wisdom. It's tedious and utterly phoney.

That's my view. It's spot on accurate.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

There. I said it!

In which case I will stop asking you about it!
    Aha, the pink rhinoceros paradox!

In any case, I am about to leave the twilit peace of my garden which is pleasantly cool now the sun has gone down, and head off to bed.

Enjoy your evening.
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Australia used to have all sorts of weird rules. Like if there weren't enough people in the ground they'd remove TV coverage of the after tea sessions.
    I didn't know that one. Probably never happened much in the Ashes.

The other thing that's definitely changed since the 90s is how sports channels deal with streakers. The camera always used to follow a streaker running on the pitch, now they never do.

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

In July 2021 for 6 weeks, 12 teams will go head to head every Thursday evening in 6 races each worth £50k in prize money and a total of 100 points.

Points will be awarded in each race from 25 points to the winner down to 1 point for 10th place.

So that’s 6 weeks, 12 teams, 36 races, 3,600 points and over £2m in prize money up for grabs.

Didn't they have teams for the chariot racing in ancient Rome? From what I can remember they made Russian football fans look like the members' pavilion at Lords.
    edited July 2021
    kinabalu said:

ridaligo said:

@kinabalu FPT

You're another softhead bigot trying to dress your softhead bigotry up as "man of the world" cynical wisdom. It's tedious and utterly phoney.

That's my view. It's spot on accurate.
    How can you be certain your opinion is so accurate unless you have a window into their soul? We can all disbelieve what someone else claims, but what point in declaring something unprovable as definitely true?

That said, I don't think one needs to be beholden to group think on Rashford to not care when people moan about his motivations or his PR people. That's just a means of dismissing people by presuming they are engaging in group think.

Yaniv Erlich
    @erlichya
    ·
    Jul 20
    Replying to
    @erlichya

It would be good to get some data on whether there is truth in the theory that an eight week dosing gap is better for Pfizer than the three week one. Would explain why the JCVI are dragging their heels on bringing forward second jabs.

Though right now I can't wrap my head around the JCVI's thinking. Between that and not jabbing children its like they've been taken over by Toby Young and Julia Hartley-Brewer.
    I don't think so. There seems to be lots of transmission in double vaxxed households of my acquaintance. Not getting very unwell in the main, but vaccination is not stopping spread.
    nico679 said:

+30,587 cases in Spain.

And 7,255 already in hospital.

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/documentos/Actualizacion_423_COVID-19.pdf

Covid is far from finished with Europe.

Whatever Mike thinks.
    I am not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.

Here's a scenario - all of Europe is hit by Delta, disastrously so in Eastern Europe in the autumn and winter but even Western and Mediterranean Europe suffers badly. With intermittent lockdowns and media reports of hospitals being overwhelmed.

These problems continue throughout 2022 in much of Europe.

But the UK comes through much better because of the quicker vaccination, the higher vaccination numbers and getting Delta during the summer.

What then is the narrative of how the UK government has handled Delta ?
    Delta is spreading so quickly that any wave will happen over the next month and vaccinations are catching upto the UK , also many countries are vaccinating children 12 to 17 which will likely help to suppress the virus in the autumn . So I don’t see a situation where Bozo can laud it over the rest of Europe . He lucked out with the vaccinations , apart from that he’s been a waste of space and has blown the “ world beating vaccinations “ feel good factor by a series of clusterfucks over the last week .
    We don't know how quickly Delta will spread - it still doesn't seem to have arrived in Eastern Europe.

As to vaccinations we don't know what level each country will reach and how soon.

But your comment rather exemplifies the belief that there is no limit to how bad things might get in the UK but that things in other European countries will not be as bad.

Strange, very strange.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

Are they borrowing the F1 scoring system?
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Horse relay racing?

Chariots...
    Hubs surely ...
    The hub is surely part of the axle...
    Foxy said:

Yaniv Erlich
    @erlichya
    ·
    Jul 20
    Replying to
    @erlichya

I don't think so. There seems to be lots of transmission in double vaxxed households of my acquaintance. Not getting very unwell in the main, but vaccination is not stopping spread.
    But would you hear about the households which didn't have transmission ?
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Between the old hometown of @Mexicanpete (Ledbury) and my own birthplace in Newent there is an old railway line. At a small hamlet called Four Oaks, this ran through a deep cutting, requiring a bridge for the local road (and later, in 1958, one for the M50 motorway).

In 1968 the bridge needed repairs or replacing, so the railway having been closed, BR simply filled in the cutting with rubble and earth, planted it with wildflowers and left it as a meadow.

It looks stunningly beautiful. And the bridge is still there - just no longer hanging unsupported.

And I cannot imagine it would have been more expensive than *that* disaster.
    One hopes that the trackbed has been retained as a trail (?)
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,928
    I quite enjoyed the women's Hundred. Swung back and forth until the last '5 balls'.

Foxy said:

Yaniv Erlich
    @erlichya
    ·
    Jul 20
    Replying to
    @erlichya

I'm assuming that I will get it at some point (I am a teacher after all, we end up catching everything), and hoping that the vaccination will mean it is not too bad when I do.

Foxy said:

Yaniv Erlich
    @erlichya
    ·
    Jul 20
    Replying to
    @erlichya

But would you hear about the households which didn't have transmission ?
    Probably not, which is why we need proper epidemiology.

France +21,539 cases.

Yes. See my other response to @Philip_Thompson.

I do not contend that France are not behind us; I merely point out that they are showing no sign of hitting an anti-vaxxer wall.
    France hit the anti-vaxxer wall a month ago.

Its only by vaccinating under 18s ie going around the wall and Macron's threats ie kicking holes in the wall that they're still vaccinating.
    edited July 2021

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

Horse relay racing?
    (Horse) Racing League

Anyone asked the horses what they think?

And the organisers do know why people watch horse racing, right? To the extent that anybody is interested in "teams" it's because they get to pick their players. In an accumulator.

edited July 2021

MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Are those actually true?

Thanks (and @MattW). Those graphs don't really support your suggestion that Britain is not close to being the worst-hit nation in Europe though. It looks well up there with the worst to me; no better than Italy overall.

https://infographics.economist.com/2020/covid-19-excess-mortality-interactive/line-expected-deaths.html?countries=belgium;britain;spain;portugal;italy;france;ireland
    Sky News at 10 headlines: First story is Russia examining the impact of permafrost melting. Second story is the impact of climate change in California.

Considering that people claim the government is having a bad week this week, its remarkable no domestic stories in the top headlines. Slow news day to be headlining with stories that, while significant, are not about today and not domestic.

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I

eek said:

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Company man:

Richard Osman
    @richardosman

I didn't know that one. Probably never happened much in the Ashes.

The other thing that's definitely changed since the 90s is how sports channels deal with streakers. The camera always used to follow a streaker running on the pitch, now they never do.
    That TV coverage rule only applied locally. So,a test in Adelaide wouldn’t be blacked out in Brisbane.

Foxy said:

Yaniv Erlich
    @erlichya
    ·
    Jul 20
    Replying to
    @erlichya

I'm assuming that I will get it at some point (I am a teacher after all, we end up catching everything), and hoping that the vaccination will mean it is not too bad when I do.
    Yes, at least at present the prevalence is so high that it is hard to dodge. I cannot avoid it at work, but at least we have proper PPE this time round. I am keeping clear otherwise. Might go to the pub on Monday after work, as we are having a leaving drinks, for a doctor going back to Nigeria.
This discussion has been closed.