Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer starting to look a good bet as an 18% chance to be next PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    tlg86 said:

Taking the knee is the literal definition of gesture politics.

Gesture politics is bad when people with power do gestures instead of taking real and significant action.

It is fine when people without power do gestures to take a stand because they have limited power to actually change things.

Actually, I'd argue the footballers and the wider football world have a lot of power with respect to the issue of the day: online abuse.

There is a very simple solution. Leave Twitter. Permanently.
    Why should they?

Why should they silence themselves, rather than using their own voice to raise awareness and fight the issue?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Selebian said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Tory MP Andrew Rosindell tells Tyrone Mings to focus on football not politics

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1414956533025280020?s=20

Why doesn't he ask his boss, the last politician who tried to take on a footballer how that turned out.....
    Personally I'm getting a bit sick of the footballers putting their oar in.

I'm not sure who is advising Ming's but to put forward that an Asian home secretary is racist is unfathomable. I don't agree with Patel on a lot of things but I personally think taking the knee has gone too far and is just gesture politics just like the kick it out stuff that used to be trailed at football. Does anyone sane think that footballers doing that has any impact on the level of racism in the world? Are we really saying that the undoubtedly racist people around are going to see the images and think they are wrong for being racist?

I was listening to radio 4 yesterday and they actually put forward the idea that Saka, Sancho and Rashford were only being criticised for missing their penalties because they are black. Now I don't have to think hard to remember the criticism of previous penalty takers such as southgate and Pearce, and who can forget the gallows and effigy if Beckham after his world cup red card.

Like 99% of other people I want less racism in the world but it seems that we have entered the twilight zone since Sunday.
    I think there's a lot to agree with there. Defacing the Rashford mural was apalling behaviour but the BBC describing it as racist showed they have no understanding or memory of the abuse previous England fall guys have faced.
    Do we know what was written on it? I had assumed from the coverage that the (unquoted) words were racist.

Had it been "don't dance about like a drunken goat before kicking the ball" then I assume it would have been quoted.
    The BBC and Sky pieces reported 'Fuck' 'Shit' and 'Bastard' but did not mention any racist words, only the headline implied 'racist graffiti'. The MEN did not mention any racist words but the Police said 'racially aggrivated graffiti' whatever that is. I stand corrected if I'm wrong but the reporting of the story either left out some key facts or let their imaginations run wild.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    tlg86 said:

Gesture politics is bad when people with power do gestures instead of taking real and significant action.

It is fine when people without power do gestures to take a stand because they have limited power to actually change things.

Actually, I'd argue the footballers and the wider football world have a lot of power with respect to the issue of the day: online abuse.

Why should they? It's like - for people 40 years ago - not being allowed to read a newspaper because it might be upsetting. Victim's fault, see.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The unlikely hero for 2021 Theresa May! Who'd have thought

In that she stood for a teensy minority and lost, sure (!) 😂

Andrew Mitchell must have rued the day he won Theresa May's support. If ever there was a kiss of death.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    The fact the Government called the Overseas Aid vote, and that the Prime Minster opened the debate, shows Boris still believes Britain isn’t Twitter. And he’s probably right.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1414979825891221506?s=20
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    Carnyx said:

Do masks work in theory, but not in practice?

The trouble with masks is that they're rarely worn where they would have the most impact: when indoors in close proximity to others for an extended duration, i.e, at home or in a pub/restaurant with friends and family. Instead, this is where we feel safe enough to take them off.

https://twitter.com/BQuilty/status/1412005377231572996?s=20

The relative trajectories of the pandemics in England & Scotland will be interesting....

The other trouble (as I noticed last night on what would normally have been a near-empty train but which was rammed full because the flash floods in London has caused a lot of other trains to be cancelled) is that the people who don't wear masks, even when they are compulsory, are precisely those who absolutely should be wearing them because they are the most likely to be infectious.

Making it voluntary in such circumstances is raving bonkers. On the contrary, we should be enforcing it more stringently.
    Alternatively you should get your vaccine.

Or an FFP3 mask.

Don't put your faith in strangers to do your job for you.
    Got my vaccine.

Have got FFP3 masks, but was not expecting to need one on this train.

But you are absolutely right. I don't put my faith in all strangers to be responsible. That's exactly why it should be compulsory, not up to random, arrogant, irresponsible 20-year old who is not yet vaccinated, thinks he's invulnerable, and who has been out boozing with his mates so is disproportionately likely to be a danger to others.
    Thankfully we don't live in a totalitarian state and I hope we never do.

Which is exactly why if you were bothered you should have been carrying an FFP3 mask. The 20 year old is doing nothing wrong and should back that up.
    Err, he and a substantial number of others on what I suspect will be a super-spreader crowded train journey were breaking the law.

And mandating sensible, low-impact precautions to protect lives and reduce the impact a very nasty disease during the worst pandemic in at least 100 years is hardly 'totalitarian'. Don't be daft. It's actually just common sense.
    He's only breaking the law if he's not exempt. How do you know he's not exempt? Do you have access to his personal medical history or did you just make a crass assumption about someone else? 🤔

Mask mandates at force of law, where zealots like yourself feel that it should be compelled by force on people who don't want to wear one, who just assume that others aren't medically exempt without knowing anything about other people is not a "sensible, low-impact precaution" it is a high impact one. And the only way to get the law enforced, if people don't want to voluntarily follow the rules, is to be increasingly draconian. And/or to get rid of all the very many exemptions that apply.
    C'mon, I'm not a complete fool. Yes, I am quite certain that the vast majority of those not wearing their masks on this crowded train are not exempt. Quite apart from anything else, many of them had masks round their necks or round their chins.

Is it possible that one or two were exempt? Yes, of course. Is it possible that more than that, mostly healthy youngsters, were? No of course it's not. You're not normally this naive, are you?
    YOung people have made the calculation that the unpleasantness and alienation of mask wearing are not worth doing considering covid doesn't affect them that much.

And they are correct in that calculation.
    If putting a mask on causes them distress then they are exempt and there is no need in the law to show meddling curtain twitching busybodies like Mr Nabavi that.
    But we never used to hear about this huge mass of people upset to the point of illness by wearing masks, which are required in many employments.

The implications are

(a) some people simply kept away from these jobs
    (B) some people are trying it on because they are crybabies or inconsiderate or selfish etc
    (c) some people have been panicked by the general covid situation (very real issue as someone (Selebian?) suggested was the case for children more generally ion a discussion fo long covid data)

What was the balance? I don't know.
    On (c) if it was in reference to my comment, then what I said (or at least, meant to say) was that the study I'm aware of seems to be finding little difference in long Covid symptoms in children among those who did and did not have Covid, but the symptoms do seem far more common than pre-pandemic (although there wasn't so much research on these symptoms pre-pandemic). If so, there seems to be a real pandemic effect on children's health - at least in the short term - but not, as far as can be seen, from actually getting infected.

(the study is still in progress, not published or even pre-pub, so give as much weight for now as any anecdote, it's just chat among colleagues a couple of times removed)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Nigelb said:

This poll on foreign aid may surprise some politicians

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1401927434333835266?s=19

No surprise.
    Britons are curtain-twitching, Mail-reading, spite-mongers. Who hate freedom (especially other people’s).
    Do you not concede that this poll supports the reduction in foreign aid across all political groups and ages
    I don’t believe in running the country according to whatever lowest-denominator impulses can be discerned from polling.

Sad that this is another example of your piously refusing to part with a smidgeon of your triple-locked wealth.
    A bit ad hom. , but agreed.
    I am still awaiting an apology as I have always supported cancelling the triple lock, though both my wife and I are pensioners

I have said so on here on many occasions

In addition I support the following in case there is any doubt

The £20 Universal credit uplift made permanent

100% behind Marcus Rashford's campaign for free school meals

And I am not alone with conservative mps also supporting these three issues
    I wasn't agreeing with the ad hominem, Big_G.
    But the cut it aid is simply wrong, IMO.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    Brom said:

Selebian said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Why doesn't he ask his boss, the last politician who tried to take on a footballer how that turned out.....

I'm not sure who is advising Ming's but to put forward that an Asian home secretary is racist is unfathomable. I don't agree with Patel on a lot of things but I personally think taking the knee has gone too far and is just gesture politics just like the kick it out stuff that used to be trailed at football. Does anyone sane think that footballers doing that has any impact on the level of racism in the world? Are we really saying that the undoubtedly racist people around are going to see the images and think they are wrong for being racist?

I was listening to radio 4 yesterday and they actually put forward the idea that Saka, Sancho and Rashford were only being criticised for missing their penalties because they are black. Now I don't have to think hard to remember the criticism of previous penalty takers such as southgate and Pearce, and who can forget the gallows and effigy if Beckham after his world cup red card.

Like 99% of other people I want less racism in the world but it seems that we have entered the twilight zone since Sunday.
    I think there's a lot to agree with there. Defacing the Rashford mural was apalling behaviour but the BBC describing it as racist showed they have no understanding or memory of the abuse previous England fall guys have faced.
    Do we know what was written on it? I had assumed from the coverage that the (unquoted) words were racist.

Had it been "don't dance about like a drunken goat before kicking the ball" then I assume it would have been quoted.
    The BBC and Sky pieces reported 'Fuck' 'Shit' and 'Bastard' but did not mention any racist words, only the headline implied 'racist graffiti'. The MEN did not mention any racist words but the Police said 'racially aggrivated graffiti' whatever that is. I stand corrected if I'm wrong but the reporting of the story either left out some key facts or let their imaginations run wild.
    I saw a picture where there was also something like "suck a d##k". There was one word I couldn't read from the picture, but from what I could see it was very offensive graffiti, but nothing was overtly racist as in the way you may presume was written from the reports.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224

Roger said:

SKS:

The Conservatives have just voted to cut international aid.

Cutting aid to help the world's poorest during a pandemic is callous - and not in our national interest.

Boris Johnson is damaging Britain's reputation around the world.

And possibly improving his own at home.....

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1414971494308929539?s=20

I doubt it. Whatever people might say they expect their leaders to have more humane instincts than they have themselves. It's also an easy one to shoot down. Is his wallpaper worth some kids in Gaza going hungry?
    Actually today's polling does not support that view

Maybe those supporting foreign aid need to make a better case
    The problem is that many people are now deeply into the mindset of -

"I am right. And all the proper politicians agree."

To the voters this sounds like

"We have the coinage and the courts. The rabble can have the scraps."
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Do masks work in theory, but not in practice?

The trouble with masks is that they're rarely worn where they would have the most impact: when indoors in close proximity to others for an extended duration, i.e, at home or in a pub/restaurant with friends and family. Instead, this is where we feel safe enough to take them off.

https://twitter.com/BQuilty/status/1412005377231572996?s=20

The relative trajectories of the pandemics in England & Scotland will be interesting....

The other trouble (as I noticed last night on what would normally have been a near-empty train but which was rammed full because the flash floods in London has caused a lot of other trains to be cancelled) is that the people who don't wear masks, even when they are compulsory, are precisely those who absolutely should be wearing them because they are the most likely to be infectious.

Making it voluntary in such circumstances is raving bonkers. On the contrary, we should be enforcing it more stringently.
    Alternatively you should get your vaccine.

Or an FFP3 mask.

Don't put your faith in strangers to do your job for you.
    Got my vaccine.

Have got FFP3 masks, but was not expecting to need one on this train.

But you are absolutely right. I don't put my faith in all strangers to be responsible. That's exactly why it should be compulsory, not up to random, arrogant, irresponsible 20-year old who is not yet vaccinated, thinks he's invulnerable, and who has been out boozing with his mates so is disproportionately likely to be a danger to others.
    Thankfully we don't live in a totalitarian state and I hope we never do.

Which is exactly why if you were bothered you should have been carrying an FFP3 mask. The 20 year old is doing nothing wrong and should back that up.
    Err, he and a substantial number of others on what I suspect will be a super-spreader crowded train journey were breaking the law.

And mandating sensible, low-impact precautions to protect lives and reduce the impact a very nasty disease during the worst pandemic in at least 100 years is hardly 'totalitarian'. Don't be daft. It's actually just common sense.
    He's only breaking the law if he's not exempt. How do you know he's not exempt? Do you have access to his personal medical history or did you just make a crass assumption about someone else? 🤔

Mask mandates at force of law, where zealots like yourself feel that it should be compelled by force on people who don't want to wear one, who just assume that others aren't medically exempt without knowing anything about other people is not a "sensible, low-impact precaution" it is a high impact one. And the only way to get the law enforced, if people don't want to voluntarily follow the rules, is to be increasingly draconian. And/or to get rid of all the very many exemptions that apply.
    C'mon, I'm not a complete fool. Yes, I am quite certain that the vast majority of those not wearing their masks on this crowded train are not exempt. Quite apart from anything else, many of them had masks round their necks or round their chins.

Is it possible that one or two were exempt? Yes, of course. Is it possible that more than that, mostly healthy youngsters, were? No of course it's not. You're not normally this naive, are you?
    YOung people have made the calculation that the unpleasantness and alienation of mask wearing are not worth doing considering covid doesn't affect them that much.

And they are correct in that calculation.
    If putting a mask on causes them distress then they are exempt and there is no need in the law to show meddling curtain twitching busybodies like Mr Nabavi that.
    But we never used to hear about this huge mass of people upset to the point of illness by wearing masks, which are required in many employments.

The implications are

(a) some people simply kept away from these jobs
    (B) some people are trying it on because they are crybabies or inconsiderate or selfish etc
    (c) some people have been panicked by the general covid situation (very real issue as someone (Selebian?) suggested was the case for children more generally ion a discussion fo long covid data)

What was the balance? I don't know.
    On (c) if it was in reference to my comment, then what I said (or at least, meant to say) was that the study I'm aware of seems to be finding little difference in long Covid symptoms in children among those who did and did not have Covid, but the symptoms do seem far more common than pre-pandemic (although there wasn't so much research on these symptoms pre-pandemic). If so, there seems to be a real pandemic effect on children's health - at least in the short term - but not, as far as can be seen, from actually getting infected.

(the study is still in progress, not published or even pre-pub, so give as much weight for now as any anecdote, it's just chat among colleagues a couple of times removed)
    Thank you. It's certainly a serious possibility on principle anyway.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

Why should they?

Why should they silence themselves, rather than using their own voice to raise awareness and fight the issue?
    Who says anything about silencing them? The PL has loads of money. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult for them to launch their own social media platform that they could police as they see fit.

Twitter is a private company. Twitter polices Twitter. Don't like the way they do it? Leave.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Why should they? It's like - for people 40 years ago - not being allowed to read a newspaper because it might be upsetting. Victim's fault, see.
    Eh? Surely you just buy a different paper!

And social media is more like a pub than a newspaper.
  • Options
    @Philip_Thompson if it comes from the top down, with a PM who has said racist things and said stupid things, then why do you support him?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Why should they?

Who says anything about silencing them? The PL has loads of money. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult for them to launch their own social media platform that they could police as they see fit.

Twitter is a private company. Twitter polices Twitter. Don't like the way they do it? Leave.
    That's one option.

Complaining and being vocal is another, perfectly valid, option.

If Twitter doesn't want people complaining on their platform, they're free to ban those that do.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    Brom said:

Selebian said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Well, if there was no racist language then jumping to the conclusion because the person in question is black does seem odd.

This seems to be the best image I can find:

Hard to make out the words to the right - "shite in a..." could be followed by 'black'? Hard to say and there's more text I can't make out at all.
  • Options

@Philip_Thompson if it comes from the top down, with a PM who has said racist things and said stupid things, then why do you support him?

I was joking. [Stuff] all the way down is an old Terry Pratchett joke, it might even be older than Pratchett.

I think the PM has said stupid things, I don't particularly care. I don't think he's been racist - mocking racism and being racist are not the same thing.
  • Options

lloydy said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Plague done, war next?

A Chinese military video from 2 days ago. Threatening first strike nukes against Japan if the Japs try to defend Taiwan

#CCP Vows to Nuke #Japan if Japan defends #Taiwan. As Japan is the only country that has been nuked, so nuking Japan "will get twice the result with half the effort."
    中共軍事頻道威脅對日本實施連續核打擊,直到日本第二次無條件投降。

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1414971285160005634?s=20

Seems to be legit, millions of views (in China, on the original military propaganda channel)

China is flexing its muscles, and they are powerful. Japan will have no choice but to back down. I do not see the West going to nuclear war to defend Taiwan, I do not see how Taiwan can defend itself for that long. Ergo, it is lost

China would have to be insane to attack Taiwan, or to launch nuclear weapons against Japan. When one set flies, they all fly.
    Indeed. I couldn't see the yanks not getting involved.
    The more they push Japan to acquire nuclear weapons... well, if the Chinese manage that, they will really be out of friends in their part of the world.

The joker in the pack is if the Taiwanese do a side deal with someone and get their own nukes. Then we are really in the fun zone.
    This will be what prompted the Chinese sounding off.

Japan mentions Taiwan stability in defense paper for first time
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/07/13/national/japan-taiwan-defense-paper/

Also, I think there's little chance that Japan will accept South Korea's defence budget becoming so much larger than theirs. Expect a ramp in Japanese spending, too.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,640
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.
    Britons are curtain-twitching, Mail-reading, spite-mongers. Who hate freedom (especially other people’s).
    Do you not concede that this poll supports the reduction in foreign aid across all political groups and ages
    I don’t believe in running the country according to whatever lowest-denominator impulses can be discerned from polling.

Sad that this is another example of your piously refusing to part with a smidgeon of your triple-locked wealth.
    I am still awaiting an apology as I have always supported cancelling the triple lock, though both my wife and I are pensioners

Was 0.7% an optimum that it would have been wrong to cut or increase?
    If it had been cut from 0.9% to 0.7% would that have been ok?
    If it had been 0.4% last year and we moved up to 0.5% would that have been simply wrong too?

I am in favour of spending some of our income on foreign aid but not wedded to a particular % so do find it hard to see why 0.7% is sacred and 0.5% simply wrong.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

The fact the Government called the Overseas Aid vote, and that the Prime Minster opened the debate, shows Boris still believes Britain isn’t Twitter. And he’s probably right.

Paul Waugh's analysis is today is a big victory for Sunak, and the day he takes over from Johnson could be getting closer.

Difficult to disagree.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Why should they?

That's one option.

Complaining and being vocal is another, perfectly valid, option.

If Twitter doesn't want people complaining on their platform, they're free to ban those that do.
    They did the weekend boycott (hilariously the weekend when the super league story broke, that must have been painful for the football press). But most of the gestures are on the pitch. And that's what annoys me. The abuse is online, not in the grounds. Get fighting on the internet lads.
  • Options
    England 19 runs after 6 legal deliveries.

But then Malan out for a duck.

Be an interesting chase.
  • Options

Paul Waugh's analysis is today is a big victory for Sunak, and the day he takes over from Johnson could be getting closer.

Difficult to disagree.
    I have long said that the ideal play for the Tories is to get through COVID and then shuffle off Boris before the GE. They can then say he was responsible for whatever Brexit problems and I am sure any public inquiry will lay any blame at his and Hancock's door.
  • Options

Be an interesting chase.

He hasn't nicked the ball and he walked, it's incredible.....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.

If it had been 0.4% last year and we moved up to 0.5% would that have been simply wrong too?

I am in favour of spending some of our income on foreign aid but not wedded to a particular % so do find it hard to see why 0.7% is sacred and 0.5% simply wrong.
    I wouldn't argues it's sacred, but making such dramatic aid cuts during a pandemic which is affecting, and will continue disproportionately to affect aid receiving countries is wrong, IMO.
  • Options

Be an interesting chase.

The field peppered by Salt.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Brom said:

Selebian said:

Brom said:

HYUFD said:

Well, if there was no racist language then jumping to the conclusion because the person in question is black does seem odd.

This seems to be the best image I can find:

Hard to make out the words to the right - "shite in a..." could be followed by 'black'? Hard to say and there's more text I can't make out at all.
    It looks like Shit fucking bastard to me. Reporting of incidents like this need to be careful, adding a racial angle where there possibly isn't one due to shoddy reporting is certainly not going to help Mr Rashford (or millions of others) feel any better, and nor will it help social cohesion.
  • Options

I was joking. [Stuff] all the way down is an old Terry Pratchett joke, it might even be older than Pratchett.

I think the PM has said stupid things, I don't particularly care. I don't think he's been racist - mocking racism and being racist are not the same thing.
    You are commended for standing up to Corbyn for racism but you have a total blindspot with Johnson. If Corbyn had said what Johnson said, you would not turn a blind eye.

You will not combat it in your own party - and I can only conclude that is for factional reasons. Disappointing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Be an interesting chase.

The field peppered by Salt.
    I am surprised he hasn't had a call up to the T20 before.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,862
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    slade said:

Has the latest Redfield and Wilton poll been mentioned? Con 41, Lab 33, LD 12, Gr 6. SNP 4, REF 3, Oth 1.

Not long to wait for LD crossover!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.

I don't think there is anything magical about 0.5 vs 0.7, but I think it is a small amount in the big picture and the main professed reasoning behind cutting it doesn't stack up so it should be maintained given whilst things are not spent perfectly we can be pretty sure there will be some quite serious netagative effects..
  • Options

You are commended for standing up to Corbyn for racism but you have a total blindspot with Johnson. If Corbyn had said what Johnson said, you would not turn a blind eye.

You will not combat it in your own party - and I can only conclude that is for factional reasons. Disappointing.
    I've called out plenty in my own party for racism and I quit my own party when someone I considered a racist xenophobe became leader.

Why do you find it so hard to believe that I genuinely consider May and Corbyn to be racists but not Keir or Boris?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1414982870796541959

No principles in this Tory Party. Boris Johnson doesn't have any, so no surprise
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.

I wouldn't argues it's sacred, but making such dramatic aid cuts during a pandemic which is affecting, and will continue disproportionately to affect aid receiving countries is wrong, IMO.
    Surely we are going to be spending significant sums financing vaccines against Covid in the next 2-3 years for countries that cannot afford them? Surely we are going to ensure that the manufacturing capacity for vaccines we have built in this country at considerable expense keeps going at full tilt until this pernicious disease is under control everywhere? Why is this not going to make this argument academic? I can't help feeling that Boris wants this fight but will in fact spend more than 0.7% in the end.

Is this just gesture politics on both sides?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

SKS:

Cutting aid to help the world's poorest during a pandemic is callous - and not in our national interest.

I doubt it. Whatever people might say they expect their leaders to have more humane instincts than they have themselves. It's also an easy one to shoot down. Is his wallpaper worth some kids in Gaza going hungry?

The zeitgeist definitely seems to be moving away from you. It's a very fickle thing but if you start with pressure groups like Oxfam and mainstream charities and most decent MPs and respected personalities and sportsmen you might find yourself struggling.
  • Options

Mr CHB, here's a straight question for you.

If the conservatives bring back domestic vaccine passports in the autumn for venues like night clubs, live music venues and rock festivals, what do you think labour should do? back or vote against?? (they may well have the balance of power on this after all).

• Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.

I don't think there is anything magical about 0.5 vs 0.7, but I think it is a small amount in the big picture and the main professed reasoning behind cutting it doesn't stack up so it should be maintained given whilst things are not spent perfectly we can be pretty sure there will be some quite serious netagative effects..
    The fact that the Covid response has blown out budget wide open and left a massive deficit that needs closing back down doesn't stack up?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited July 2021
    Roger said:

Roger said:

SKS:

The zeitgeist definitely seems to be moving away from you. It's a very fickle thing but if you start with pressure groups like Oxfam and mainstream charities and most decent MPs and respected personalities and sportsmen you might find yourself struggling.
    To be honest on this subject I am sitting on the fence

I can see both sides of the argument but haven't Oxfam had their own issues over safeguarding of children
  • Options
    edited July 2021

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.

The fact that the Covid response has blown out budget wide open and left a massive deficit that needs closing back down doesn't stack up?
    There are many other ways they could close the deficit, ways which would close it much more significantly.

The level of focus on international aid to help close the deficit as opposed to anything else is what does not stack up for me. That some people have wanted to reduce it for a long time adds to that suspicion.

Yes, every little helps, but on so many other areas it's magically not an issue but it is for this one? I don't buy that

That's why while I'm not opposed to the principle the way some others are, it seems like the wrong move for the wrong reasons when we can be sure of pretty immediate effect.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,051

2nd if their lucky under useless SKS

"Oh Jeremy Corbyn"
  • Options

If the conservatives bring back domestic vaccine passports in the autumn for venues like night clubs, live music venues and rock festivals, what do you think labour should do? back or vote against?? (they may well have the balance of power on this after all).

What's this got to do with racism in the Tory Party? Deflect, deflect. It is pathetic.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Roger said:

Roger said:

SKS:

There needs to be a much better debate on this topic (along with others!). One problem is that I suspect many voters have low confidence that the money is being spent properly / wisely / morally. Why not put out an annual summary (reasonably detailed) of taxation, domestic expenditure and foreign aid to all households in a similar manner to the expenditure breakdown sent out by local councils?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

What's this got to do with racism in the Tory Party? Deflect, deflect. It is pathetic.
    I think he's actually genuinely curious.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.

There are many other ways they could close the deficit, ways which would close it much more significantly.

The level of focus on international aid to help close the deficit as opposed to anything else is what does not stack up for me. That some people have wanted to reduce it for a long time adds to that suspicion.

Yes, every little helps, but on so many other areas it's magically not an issue but it is for this one? I don't buy that.
    It's nonsense kle, spot on. They can't play the unlimited magic money tree on the one hand and then this on the other.

We're either pro austerity in which case tax rises + cuts all over or we're not.

Johnson's Tory Party is cakeism on steroids
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,362
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.

And it's worth remembering that any sudden spending cut in any field is always inefficient; it's going to be a case of cutting what can be cut for the next few years, not the things it makes sense to cut.

But the politics is the same as "we send X million pounds a week to Brussels". It will always be more popular to spend that money on us instead.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Very good visualisation here of the current wave vs the previous one:

https://twitter.com/RP131/status/1414982191961067524

Updated wave compare mirror charts based on latest (13-Jul) data. Using the dates in these charts, at this point in the previous wave we had:

- 4 x covid +ve daily admissions.
    - 6 x covid +ve patients in hospital.
    - 19 x the daily covid +ve deaths.

The jabs are doing the biz, but the number of hospitalisations of the 18-64 age band is quite high. That is the worrying stat.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2021

"Oh Jeremy Corbyn"
    Oh just leave it Pete, John is just an anti-Starmer bot
  • Options

Updated wave compare mirror charts based on latest (13-Jul) data. Using the dates in these charts, at this point in the previous wave we had:

The jabs are doing the biz, but the number of hospitalisations of the 18-64 age band is quite high. That is the worrying stat.

I remember when the stories were that young people don't go into hospital for COVID
  • Options
    edited July 2021

What we really need is the data broken down by vaccinated vs 1st dose vs unvaccinated.....to have a better idea of where things are going.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Eh? Surely you just buy a different paper!

And social media is more like a pub than a newspaper.
    Not if the same thing is in all the news about you.

Also, if you go to the local pub and have to leave because of some ned then the landlord is not doing his job.
  • Options

What we really need is the data broken down by vaccinated vs 1st dose vs unvaccinated.....to have a better idea of where things are going.
    Yes, it's very frustrating that we don't have that.
  • Options
    Salt licked.
  • Options

I remember when the stories were that young people don't go into hospital for COVID
    The huge queue outside Venue Cymru today, and this week, has been dominated by very young people
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2021

The other thing is 18-64 all been batched together for hospital admissions is too wide an age range.
  • Options

Unfortunately that's a very wide band, presumably it's mainly 40+ who are being admitted to hospital.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1414990391728803841

Is Johnson going to kick them all out?
  • Options

are you OK or has Scott P hacked your account? Im so glad twitter is no longer embedded on this site.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Plague done, war next?

A Chinese military video from 2 days ago. Threatening first strike nukes against Japan if the Japs try to defend Taiwan

#CCP Vows to Nuke #Japan if Japan defends #Taiwan. As Japan is the only country that has been nuked, so nuking Japan "will get twice the result with half the effort."

Seems to be legit, millions of views (in China, on the original military propaganda channel)

China is flexing its muscles, and they are powerful. Japan will have no choice but to back down. I do not see the West going to nuclear war to defend Taiwan, I do not see how Taiwan can defend itself for that long. Ergo, it is lost

China would have to be insane to attack Taiwan, or to launch nuclear weapons against Japan. When one set flies, they all fly.
    They just have to bully Japan into submission, then they could probably take Taiwan with threats. And not fire a single bullet. They are close to having that military superiority
    Why would either Taiwan or Japan allow themselves to be bullied? Without question, if China launched a nuclear strike against Japan, the US would hit back very hard. And, trying to take a heavily defended island, across 100 miles of sea sounds like a prelude to disaster to me.
    "Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?"
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No surprise.

Yes, every little helps, but on so many other areas it's magically not an issue but it is for this one? I don't buy that.
    It's nonsense kle, spot on. They can't play the unlimited magic money tree on the one hand and then this on the other.

We're either pro austerity in which case tax rises + cuts all over or we're not.

Johnson's Tory Party is cakeism on steroids
    Honestly why do the tories need to even turn up to elections when labour are so keen to jump into elephant traps.

44% of labour voters support the aid cuts, polls show.

The New Statesman admitted today that 70% of twitter abuse of black players came from abroad. The labour narrative of a nation of racists just does not hold water.

And vaccine passports is another poison pill heading labour's way, since its YOUR voters that are going to be most affected.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    Apols if I have missed this but did @HYUFD follow Natalie Elphicke's lead and issue a grovelling apology?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9779813/Tory-MP-Natalie-Elphicke-forced-groveling-climbdown-attack-England-ace-Marcus-Rashford.html
  • Options
    Er, hardly. I love Matt but that's not one of his best.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,899
    I'd love it if these footballers were so passionate about homophobia in football.

Like why there is not a single Premier League (professional male footballer?) who is openly gay?

I hate racism: but football needs to get its own house in order in many ways before it starts lecturing others.
  • Options

The huge queue outside Venue Cymru today, and this week, has been dominated by very young people
    Er... for vaccines? If so, that's good news.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,020
    Nigelb said:

lloydy said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Fuck

Plague done, war next?

Indeed. I couldn't see the yanks not getting involved.
    The more they push Japan to acquire nuclear weapons... well, if the Chinese manage that, they will really be out of friends in their part of the world.

The joker in the pack is if the Taiwanese do a side deal with someone and get their own nukes. Then we are really in the fun zone.
    This will be what prompted the Chinese sounding off.

Japan mentions Taiwan stability in defense paper for first time
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/07/13/national/japan-taiwan-defense-paper/

Also, I think there's little chance that Japan will accept South Korea's defence budget becoming so much larger than theirs. Expect a ramp in Japanese spending, too.
    This was the Chinese media view last week:

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1228036.shtml

Japan will dig its own grave if it crosses red line of Taiwan question
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Yes it's been our vaccine centre all along

Sorry if I misled you
  • Options

"Oh Jeremy Corbyn"
    Oh just leave it Pete, John is just an anti-Starmer bot
    I think BJO has been on here longer than you have. I disagree with him on many things, but he does represent a significant strand of leftist pro-Corbyn sentiment.

And I'm hardly one to agree with him, considering his views ...
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129
    Apologies if anyone else has already commented on this, but I've been looking at the Covid dashboard stats and found something quite encouraging.

The "percentage change in recent seven day case rates, by specimen date" metric has been in decline for the UK as a whole since late June - peaking at 74.2% on 28 June, and now standing at 30.4% for 8 July, the most recent date for which definitive figures are shown.

However, in Scotland - which, of course, got hit harder and earlier than most of the rest of the country - the comparable figures are a peak of 133.8% on 26 June, falling all the way down to -11% on 8 July, i.e. the rolling seven day case rate has begun to contract outright. It's the first time that negative figures have been reported in Scotland for two months.

Hopefully the remainder of the country will, at its own pace, follow Scotland along a similar trajectory - although it'll be interesting to see if there is marked divergence later in the month, after England abandons mask compulsion and opens the nightclubs. I'm not at all sure that it'll make a huge amount of difference at this stage in proceedings, but frankly, with this rotten disease, who knows?
  • Options

Apols if I have missed this but did @HYUFD follow Natalie Elphicke's lead and issue a grovelling apology?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9779813/Tory-MP-Natalie-Elphicke-forced-groveling-climbdown-attack-England-ace-Marcus-Rashford.html

Not that I have seen
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

HYUFD said:

Footballers are part of the country, they have a right to say what they believe.
    He did not say she was racist, he said she did not support their anti-racism campaign.
    Asians can be racist.
    Yes, I am sane, and the actions and words of the people kids want to be like, make a real difference to the number of racists in the country.

You are right on a couple of things, taking the knee is indeed gesture politics, by definition, but gesture politics is not always bad. And the coverage has been overblown.
    Of course footballers are free to express themselves but his statement indicates that unless you support taking the knee then you are stoking the fires of racism. I just don't think it's true. Even when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s the racism on the terraces was called just that. It was identified and it was wrong.

You may think that footballers being against racism will have an impact on the hardcore nutters who make up racists in this county, I will respectfully disagree but I should not have doubted anyone's sanity

And of course Asians like any group can be racist. I was a naive student in Bradford in the late 90s and I have to say that I was gobsmacked at the levels of anti semitism.

I'm pretty riled up with the coverage as it really doesn't take much brain power to question some of the reports.
  • Options

The other thing is 18-64 all been batched together for hospital admissions is too wide an age range.
    I asked for both from PHE - there is no prospect of banding it into 5 year increments, like deaths and cases, apparently. Or of vaccinated status being added to the data.
  • Options

Sorry if I misled you
    No that's fine. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't got the wrong end of the stick, which I am prone to do ;-)
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Apologies if anyone else has already commented on this, but I've been looking at the Covid dashboard stats and found something quite encouraging.

The "percentage change in recent seven day case rates, by specimen date" metric has been in decline for the UK as a whole since late June - peaking at 74.2% on 28 June, and now standing at 30.4% for 8 July, the most recent date for which definitive figures are shown.

However, in Scotland - which, of course, got hit harder and earlier than most of the rest of the country - the comparable figures are a peak of 133.8% on 26 June, falling all the way down to -11% on 8 July, i.e. the rolling seven day case rate has begun to contract outright. It's the first time that negative figures have been reported in Scotland for two months.

Hopefully the remainder of the country will, at its own pace, follow Scotland along a similar trajectory - although it'll be interesting to see if there is marked divergence later in the month, after England abandons mask compulsion and opens the nightclubs. I'm not at all sure that it'll make a huge amount of difference at this stage in proceedings, but frankly, with this rotten disease, who knows?

It has been said Scotland’s football excursion and schools breaking happened a few weeks ago
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited July 2021

Unfortunately far more Tory MP (the vacuous pea brain variety) voted with the disingenuous racist fat fornicator's wretched Government. Very sad that this has happened.
  • Options

And do we think footballers have or don't have power? Interesting question. A lot have money but probably less power than that might normally signify.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

I asked for both from PHE - there is no prospect of banding it into 5 year increments, like deaths and cases, apparently. Or of vaccinated status being added to the data.
    I have a suspicion that lack of breakdown in terms of vaccination status is a deliberate ploy, as worry about the scare headline of 1000s infected despite being double jabbed etc....you and I know that it exactly as to he expected, but look how they ran the Andrew Marr story.

Also, I think it looks like all of us are getting covid at some point, but government doesn't want to have that conversation (yet).
  • Options

Sorry if I misled you
    No that's fine. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't got the wrong end of the stick, which I am prone to do ;-)
    To be honest it brings joy to my heart each time I pass Venue Cymru and see so many young people wanting to be vaccinated
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,807
    China will retake Taiwan within the next decade, possibly much quicker than that
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Roger said:

Roger said:

SKS:

I can see both sides of the argument but haven't Oxfam had their own issues over safeguarding of children
    Classy stuff.
    What are you trying to say? Foreign aid might be bad because child molesters?
  • Options
    Leon said:

China will retake Taiwan within the next decade, possibly much quicker than that

On the sauce a bit late today aren't we?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1414982870796541959

No principles in this Tory Party. Boris Johnson doesn't have any, so no surprise

Conservative Party = Banana Republic Government.

It's shocking that so many on here defend this wretched Government. Probably thick and ugly but hey-ho!
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

SKS:

Classy stuff.
    LOL!
  • Options

I have a suspicion that lack of breakdown in terms of vaccination status is a deliberate ploy, as worry about the scare headline of 1000s infected despite being double jabbed etc....you and I know that it exactly as to he expected, but look how they ran the Andrew Marr story.

Also, I think it looks like all of us are getting covid at some point, but government doesn't want to have that conversation (yet).
    They are very sensitive about providing errr.. detail on who is vaccinated. For fairly obvious reasons...
  • Options
    England are going to lose the cricket.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

SKS:

Classy stuff.
    Not at all

I am neutral on foreign aid but Oxfam has sullied it's reputation over this matter

And where is my apology over your ascertain I support the triple lock, which I do not
  • Options

Following Beckham getting sent off against Argentina, the abuse he got from every quarter was absolutely incredible and unrelenting. It was a total pile on for weeks / months, the media, the fans.

The mental toughness he must have had to come back from that was quite incredible.

This is the exact reason I think some of the coverage has been overblown. Criticising a player who is black is not racist if you would say the same about a white player. I've no doubt whatever was on the Rashford mural was racist. It would have been reported somewhere if not. And I don't use Twitter - I used to manage with Scott pasting it here ;-), so I am not sure the volume of racist abuse there but can there be more than a very very small number of racists - I don't think so. But that small number can be both detrimental to society, and inhibit the inclusion of black people as an integral part of society as they are made to feel 'other'.
  • Options
    He's right, this would be awkward

New Zealand-born rugby union star Quade Cooper has been refused Australian citizenship - despite playing for the national team on 70 occasions.

The former Wallabies fly-half, who has lived in Australia since the age of 13, described the moment his application was rejected on Tuesday as "awkward".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57804651
  • Options
    Leon said:

We live in interesting times. I think it's possible that the whole panoply of post-war global institutions will go the way of the League of Nations.
  • Options

Top of page 104 of this latest ICNARC seems to indicate circa 35% of Covid ICU admissions are under 30 in recent weeks. Unfortunately, it's just a graph, no stats.

https://www.icnarc.org/DataServices/Attachments/Download/aa75698e-6dde-eb11-9132-00505601089b
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited July 2021
    Let’s be clear.

Today’s cut is an unholy alliance between Sunak’s “New Austerity” and Boris’s “Own the Libs strategy.”

Big G is cheering it on of course from his Clywdian redoubt.

The victims? Poor people in the third world (and Britain’s reputation / soft power).
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    edited July 2021
    If you* had any understanding of Xi thought, the approach of the CCP and their view of renegade provinces then you might be less patronising.

*That is the "it's on!!!" merchant.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (+2)
    LAB: 32% (-3)
    LDEM: 9% (-1)
    GRN: 6% (+1)

via @Survation, 05 - 13 Jul
    Chgs. w/ 26 Jun

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1414995810526314499
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Following Beckham getting sent off against Argentina, the abuse he got from every quarter was absolutely incredible and unrelenting. It was a total pile on for weeks / months, the media, the fans.

The mental toughness he must have had to come back from that was quite incredible.

This is the exact reason I think some of the coverage has been overblown. Criticising a player who is black is not racist if you would say the same about a white player. I've no doubt whatever was on the Rashford mural was racist. It would have been reported somewhere if not. And I don't use Twitter - I used to manage with Scott pasting it here ;-), so I am not sure the volume of racist abuse there but can there be more than a very very small number of racists - I don't think so. But that small number can be both detrimental to society, and inhibit the inclusion of black people as an integral part of society as they are made to feel 'other'.
    Acurally from the photos i have seen it doesn't look like it was racist language... just knuckle dragging abuse.calling him shite, a bastard, drawing of a cock and balls.

That isn't to say he hasn't had a stream of racist abuse on social media.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120

Note it is 18 to 64. It’s very wide age range, and will be skewed to the older end.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He's right, this would be awkward

New Zealand-born rugby union star Quade Cooper has been refused Australian citizenship - despite playing for the national team on 70 occasions.

The former Wallabies fly-half, who has lived in Australia since the age of 13, described the moment his application was rejected on Tuesday as "awkward".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57804651

Australia seems to be leading the way in Tumpian birtherisms.
  • Options

Let’s be clear.

Today’s cut is an unholy alliance between Sunak’s “New Austerity” and Boris’s “Own the Libs strategy.”

Big G is cheering it on of course from his Clywdian redoubt.

The victims? Poor people in the third world (and Britain’s reputation / soft power).

Very sad day and does not reflect well on this country. Whatever the right-wing dimwits on here say.
This discussion has been closed.