Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

They Gush over Truss: Betting on the next Tory Leader – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    The UK growth rate of new infections is still slowing - but driven by Scotland now.

Today’s seven-day average is up 30.0% on last week.

Friday: 30.7%
    Thursday: 34.9%
    Wednesday: 42.8%
    Tuesday: 49.0%
    Monday: 53.2%
    Sunday: 66.9%

So cases are still going up, but not as quickly.

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1413876410150703106?s=20
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

The UK growth rate of new infections is still slowing - but driven by Scotland now.

How can the growth rate be driven by Scotland given the relative sizes of the constituent nations?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    edited July 2021

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe it's time for women to play best of 5 sets at Wimbledon. It looks like this final is going to be over in a very short time.

I’ve long advocated equal pay for equal sets. Shorter women’s games has long let the top female players milk the tournaments doubles pot too, in a way that the men cannot.
    I'm not sure there's fan appetite for best of 5 women's matches. Their tennis product is (in general and with exceptions) not as good as the men's. The equal pay is only at slams and is symbolic, not related to time on court or box office power. By setting equal pay (for these slam events where the men and women share the draw and the venue) the tennis world is making a statement that women's hard work and talent is valued as much as men's.
    Without wishing to degenerate this, if the product isn’t as good, why have equal pay? I think you are probably right, in that the depth of talent in women’s tennis is less than in the men’s, and as a rule there are more easy early round wins. But I do think there is an issue with three sets vs five.
    It's just at the slams and is symbolic. A statement by the tennis world that men and women are valued equally. Important and correct imo.

Consider the alternative and you see why this is so. The alternative would be for the slams to define by how much they value men more than women. That's a minefield so they'd shirk it and go for 60% - and justify this by saying it's actually equal because the women play best of 3 instead of best of 5.

The women would then INSIST on playing best of 5. Which there isn't the fan appetite for and would bloat the schedule. You'd have an insoluble mess. And bad messaging flying about left right and centre.

So this is the way. How it is now. It's not a problem.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Leon said:

BREAKING: Netherlands reports 10,345 new coronavirus cases, an increase of 803% from last week

Holy fuck

That's the same Delta curve as India. Almost vertical. A rocket shooting up, not a plane taking off

At this rate - tripling every three days - Holland will have 250,000 cases a day in ten days, and the entire nation will have Delta ten days after that
    We're going to have much the same from a higher starting point. Soonish everyone in the UK will either be hiding or will have CV. An astonishing risk that the government is running.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    edited July 2021
    A Barty win was arguably the closest thing to a certainty in a tennis match for a long time. I wonder what the odds were before the match.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

BREAKING: Netherlands reports 10,345 new coronavirus cases, an increase of 803% from last week

Apparently the most populous German state bordering the Netherlands has suspended contact tracing.

https://twitter.com/giulio_mattioli/status/1413833487682056198
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe it's time for women to play best of 5 sets at Wimbledon. It looks like this final is going to be over in a very short time.

I’ve long advocated equal pay for equal sets. Shorter women’s games has long let the top female players milk the tournaments doubles pot too, in a way that the men cannot.
    I'm not sure there's fan appetite for best of 5 women's matches. Their tennis product is (in general and with exceptions) not as good as the men's. The equal pay is only at slams and is symbolic, not related to time on court or box office power. By setting equal pay (for these slam events where the men and women share the draw and the venue) the tennis world is making a statement that women's hard work and talent is valued as much as men's.
    Without wishing to degenerate this, if the product isn’t as good, why have equal pay? I think you are probably right, in that the depth of talent in women’s tennis is less than in the men’s, and as a rule there are more easy early round wins. But I do think there is an issue with three sets vs five.
    It's just at the slams and is symbolic. A statement by the tennis world that men and women are valued equally. Important and correct imo.

Consider the alternative and you see why this is so. The alternative would be for the slams to define by how much they value men more than women. That's a minefield so they'd shirk it and go for 60% - and justify this by saying it's actually equal because the women play best of 3 instead of best of 5.

The women would then INSIST on playing best of 5. Which there isn't the fan appetite for and would bloat the schedule. You'd have an insoluble mess. And bad messaging flying about left right and centre.

So this is the way. How it now. It's not a problem.
    In my eyes it is a mess. See my point about the doubles. It would be better to have either both play best of five or best of three. That shows that you value both the same. The current version is wrong.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Without Pogacar, this would have been some Tour. Second place changes hands yet again.*

* I do understand if Uran had been in yellow, then Martin wouldn't have been permitted such leeway.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Holy fuck

That's the same Delta curve as India. Almost vertical. A rocket shooting up, not a plane taking off

At this rate - tripling every three days - Holland will have 250,000 cases a day in ten days, and the entire nation will have Delta ten days after that
    We're going to have much the same from a higher starting point. Soonish everyone in the UK will either be hiding or will have CV. An astonishing risk that the government is running.
    No we’re not because we have had delta longer than anyone bar India and that take off hasn’t happened. Because vaccination.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Leon said:

Gnud said:

Gnud said:

Leon said:

"Disinformation like the media’s early reporting of people falling down and dying on the streets in China? Or perhaps dismissing the increasingly likely lab leak hypothesis as an “alt-right conspiracy theory”? This list is endless. And ongoing."

https://twitter.com/UncleMoses11/status/1413843096077488133?s=20

This is a good question

Remember all the early images we saw of people dropping dead in the streets of Wuhan and elsewhere

A couple of similar images emerged, early on - in Italy and Iran - but there has been nothing since, despite 10m dead, and a plague sweeping the world

So: either those images were real but the virus has somehow changed, OR they were faked for a reason

Who benefited from this kind of fake news? China?

Or they were real but with another cause than (or together with) a SARSCoV2 infection.
    (Too late to edit, but): I think the ones in China and Iran were genuine, but if the ones in China were fake then I doubt any foreign power was responsible for faking them. In Iran too, if a foreign power had come in and faked them, we'd probably have heard an allegation to that effect from the government by now.
    What surprises me is that there hasn't been any serious investigation of all this, from anyone

It is clear that some people were gaming the social media messages about Covid from the get-go, not least the Chinese disguising a possible lab origin, and hyping the bat-eaters in the market. That video of the woman eating the bat springs to mind

10 million have died and the plague still roils the world, and yet there is a distinct absence of mad conspiracy theories, if you ask me, and a near-total lack of scrutiny, of all this, by western governments. Why? Are we mentally and politically paralysed by the bug?
    The bat stew video was from Thailand wasn't it?

And misleading videos on Social Media? Who would have though that?🤔
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

A Barty win was arguably the closest thing to a certainty in a tennis match for a long time. I wonder what the odds were before the match.

Why do you say that, Andy? The betting had it 70%/30% which seemed about right to me. And it was quite close as it turned out.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

In my eyes it is a mess. See my point about the doubles. It would be better to have either both play best of five or best of three. That shows that you value both the same. The current version is wrong.
    Prize money reflects the prestige of the tournament, not the effort of the players. They don't get overtime for a long tie-break.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Prize money reflects the prestige of the tournament, not the effort of the players. They don't get overtime for a long tie-break.
    That’s not the point. See my point about doubles. I may be in the minority, but I just think it’s currently wrong.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    RobD said:

How can the growth rate be driven by Scotland given the relative sizes of the constituent nations?
    Scotland is down nearly 30% on a week ago:

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1413849244776243200?s=20
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited July 2021

d2C/dT2 (2nd differential of growth of cases) is now -0.01.
    Putting that in my simple model gives:
    Peak 7 day average of cases of 55K on 5th August
    Peak deaths at 2,050 on 13th August.
    For what it's worth ...
    (Assumes a local quadratic fit to government data on UK cases and deaths)

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Leon said:

Holy fuck

And what happens then? Does it go round again?
  • Options

Apparently the most populous German state bordering the Netherlands has suspended contact tracing.

Once you reach a high prevalence, contact tracing becomes pretty meaningless. It only works when there are sporadic cases.

I note the Netherlands dropped nearly all restrictions on June 23rd.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scotland is down nearly 30% on a week ago:

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1413849244776243200?s=20
    Equivalent to 3% in England terms.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Gnud said:

Gnud said:

Leon said:

"Disinformation like the media’s early reporting of people falling down and dying on the streets in China? Or perhaps dismissing the increasingly likely lab leak hypothesis as an “alt-right conspiracy theory”? This list is endless. And ongoing."

https://twitter.com/UncleMoses11/status/1413843096077488133?s=20

This is a good question

Remember all the early images we saw of people dropping dead in the streets of Wuhan and elsewhere

A couple of similar images emerged, early on - in Italy and Iran - but there has been nothing since, despite 10m dead, and a plague sweeping the world

So: either those images were real but the virus has somehow changed, OR they were faked for a reason

Who benefited from this kind of fake news? China?

Or they were real but with another cause than (or together with) a SARSCoV2 infection.
    (Too late to edit, but): I think the ones in China and Iran were genuine, but if the ones in China were fake then I doubt any foreign power was responsible for faking them. In Iran too, if a foreign power had come in and faked them, we'd probably have heard an allegation to that effect from the government by now.
    What surprises me is that there hasn't been any serious investigation of all this, from anyone

It is clear that some people were gaming the social media messages about Covid from the get-go, not least the Chinese disguising a possible lab origin, and hyping the bat-eaters in the market. That video of the woman eating the bat springs to mind

10 million have died and the plague still roils the world, and yet there is a distinct absence of mad conspiracy theories, if you ask me, and a near-total lack of scrutiny, of all this, by western governments. Why? Are we mentally and politically paralysed by the bug?
    The bat stew video was from Thailand wasn't it?

And misleading videos on Social Media? Who would have though that?🤔
    The bat vids are of Chinese tourists in Palau, Indonesia, probably

https://observers.france24.com/en/20200203-china-coronavirus-bat-soup-debunk-videos-viral-palau-indonesia
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, but there's less prestige if there is less effort needed to win. It just seems a no brainer to me - they have the ability to do it, apparently some of them want to do it, they deserve the prestige of equal footing, not just financial equivalence.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

How do you get to that many deaths with cases only marginally more than now?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Andy_JS said:

I see the hypocrites are gathering, like scavengers at the corpse that they depended on something bigger and stronger than them to kill.

It's possible to support the England team while being against taking the knee.
    Unless your are Lee Anderson.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, but there's less prestige if there is less effort needed to win. It just seems a no brainer to me - they have the ability to do it, apparently some of them want to do it, they deserve the prestige of equal footing, not just financial equivalence.
    Would extending the length of football matches them more prestigious? Make it a game of three halves perhaps?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

14 day lag
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

More than men's, in fact.
    No, Rob, equal, as I explained.
    The effort required is different. I agree that the prize money should be the same, but so should the rules of the game.
    The women don't want to play best of 5. The men don't want the women to play best of 5. The fans don't want to see women's best of 5. The schedule doesn't want to expand to accommodate women's best of 5.

Conclusion? - No women's best of 5. One of life's easier ones.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

14 day lag
    What were the U.K. cases 14 days ago? (Just looked, about 20,000 leading to 35 deaths reported today). I think your deaths ratio is off for the current situation.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The effort required is different. I agree that the prize money should be the same, but so should the rules of the game.
    There is an argument that survival at the top requires 24/7 commitment in terms of lifestyle, training and practice, of which the occasional competitive match only represents a tiny percentage.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Dutch close restaurants, again

Les Pays-Bas annonce le rétablissement de restrictions avec la fermeture des restaurants et des discothèques. #Netherlands #Covid_19

Edit: they aren't closing them, yet, apparently - just limiting the hours

Also Dutch hospitalisations are actually down. At the mo
  • Options
    RTÉ News
    @rtenews
    Those aged under 18 will be able to go inside bars and restaurants if they are accompanied by a vaccinated person, under a plan for reopening indoor hospitality that is due to go to Cabinet on Tuesday

• Options
    Leon said:

Dutch close restaurants, again

Les Pays-Bas annonce le rétablissement de restrictions avec la fermeture des restaurants et des discothèques. #Netherlands #Covid_19

How long before this is us again?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited July 2021
    On female sport, been watching the women's cricket. The ball is a little smaller and lighter and the ground is slightly smaller. Scores are, generally speaking, lower than in equivalent mens games, the bowling is slower, and the ball doesn't seem to be hit as far.
    The fielding often hasn't been as good as in the mens game, but, to be fair, yesterday's Indian fielding was as good overall as any I've seen.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The women don't want to play best of 5. The men don't want the women to play best of 5. The fans don't want to see women's best of 5. The schedule doesn't want to expand to accommodate women's best of 5.

Do you know all that is true? What difference is it if the men don’t want them to play best of 5? Scheduling is fine, there will be a middle Sunday next year, and two courts with lights. I personally think it is unfair, and dare I say it reverse sexism.
  • Options
    Today's edition of 'Surely it's a parody?' from a Scottish nationalist:

Reading interesting stuff about England’s hand in starting the Second World War. Scotland and Ireland actually had a pretty good relationship with Europe but England’s was confrontational which led to imposing harsh sanctions on Germany.

https://twitter.com/CalistaHebburn/status/1413845725155373060
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Peak admissions at 2,050 on 13th August.
    For what it's worth ...

14 day lag
    What were the U.K. cases 14 days ago? (Just looked, about 20,000 leading to 35 deaths reported today). I think your deaths ratio is off for the current situation.
    14,066 was the 7 day moving average 14 days ago, driving admissions today.
    It is now 30,504.
    My simple model is showing it going up to 55,000, so admissions will quadruple to 2,050 with a 14 day lag.

EDIT: Many apologies - I'm predicting admissions not deaths
  • Options

RTÉ News
    @rtenews
    Those aged under 18 will be able to go inside bars and restaurants if they are accompanied by a vaccinated person, under a plan for reopening indoor hospitality that is due to go to Cabinet on Tuesday

In Ireland? Or is that U.K.?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Would extending the length of football matches them more prestigious? Make it a game of three halves perhaps?
    Perhaps automatic Extra Time.

Not that that improves the game. AET is usually not great football. Spain/Croatia possibly excepted.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

It would if the men played three halves and the women only played two. One would be seen as the more testing challenge.

Seriously, I don't understand the reluctance on this front at all - despite the comments about quality from some here women's tennis is one of those where the attention and money rightly recognises that it is genuinely elite in its own right, with big names and big prizes. With no physical impediment to making the rules the same for men and women, why the heck not? It doesn't play second fiddle to the men's game, nor should it, so why not let both genders compete on the same basis? Why give succour to arguments the tournaments are not equivalent because the rules are not the same?

Make it equal in all things, as it should be.

We could reduce the men to three sets, that which they play most of the year, if you'd prefer.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

14 day lag
    14,066 was the 7 day moving average 14 days ago, driving deaths today.
    It is now 30,504.
    My simple model is showing it going up to 55,000, so deaths will quadruple to 2,050 with a 14 day lag.
    Quadruple 35 is 140... have you done 35 to the power 4?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

14 day lag
    It is now 30,504.
    My simple model is showing it going up to 55,000, so admissions will quadruple to 2,050 with a 14 day lag.

I can believe 2050 admissions, just not deaths.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Holy fuck

No we’re not because we have had delta longer than anyone bar India and that take off hasn’t happened. Because vaccination.
    We will see.
  • Options
    Everything in NL was reopened on 26th June apparently.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

14 day lag
    14,066 was the 7 day moving average 14 days ago, driving admissions today.
    It is now 30,504.

That makes a whole lot more sense! And is a fair prediction.
  • Options

Reading interesting stuff about England’s hand in starting the Second World War. Scotland and Ireland actually had a pretty good relationship with Europe but England’s was confrontational which led to imposing harsh sanctions on Germany.

IIRC the SNP's position on WWII was somewhat 'questionable'.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2021
    The only way we hit 2000 deaths a day, is if vaccines will have totally failed...
  • Options

RTÉ News
    @rtenews

In Ireland? Or is that U.K.?
    Ireland. Apparently there will also be a time limit of 1 hour and 45mins.

• Options

The only way we hit 2000 deaths a day, is if vaccines will have totally failed...

True and @Barnesian has realised his typo...
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

14 day lag
    It is now 30,504.
    My simple model is showing it going up to 55,000, so deaths will quadruple to 2,050 with a 14 day lag.
    Apologies - I'm predicting admissions not deaths.

Deaths are only about 8% of admissions so 2,050 admissions is about 160 daily deaths.
  • Options
    Delta in Holland is what Delta looks like without any lockdown

So it could be us in ten days. However we have quite an advantage in vaccinateds. Is it enough?

And, the Dutch deaths and hospital stats are still fine, as of now
  • Options

That's because the English are "natural aggressors whereas we and Ireland always looked to work with others instead of against them".

https://twitter.com/CalistaHebburn/status/1413853561360891909
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited July 2021
    Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

I think you mean admissions, not deaths.

Edit: I see your correction above.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Leon said:

Delta in Holland is what Delta looks like without any lockdown

So it could be us in ten days. However we have quite an advantage in vaccinateds. Is it enough?

And, the Dutch deaths and hospital stats are still fine, as of now

If the UK had got delta while still at EU levels of vaccination, it would have been a total blood bath.
  • Options

On female sport, been watching the women's cricket. The ball is a little smaller and lighter and the ground is slightly smaller. Scores are, generally speaking, lower than in equivalent mens games, the bowling is slower, and the ball doesn't seem to be hit as far.
    The fielding often hasn't been as good as in the mens game, but, to be fair, yesterday's Indian fielding was as good overall as any I've seen.

I thought their games were at Bristol?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

You may be thinking of WW1 (which was probably more to do with conscientious objection/socialism?). WW2 saw very little of that sort of thing. Arthur Donaldson is the best known example, delated on false information (he was very quickly released). But compare, however, Unionists suich as Archibald Ramsay MP and Sempill.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Boundary tends to be brought in a bit.
  • Options

That's because the English are "natural aggressors whereas we and Ireland always looked to work with others instead of against them".

She is now getting royally ratio'd
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

On TV. There's a 20/20 at Chelmsford before long, though.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited July 2021

Ah yes the famously non-agressive Scots and Irish.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Are these your opinions, or facts? I've never looked into whether players (of either gender) want 3 or 5 sets to be honest.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Because despite this being a global pandemic effects happen locally.

Scotland went from 164 cases on the 1st of May to 3333 and the 30th of June peak ni Scotland.
    The North West went from 258 to 4430 on the 30th
    The North East 71 to 2532

The East Midlands meanwhile has gone from 157 to 1476, ditto London, South East and East of England.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options

Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

I think you mean admissions, not deaths.

Edit: I see your correction above.
    Yes - Apologies. I can only blame the two pints of Pimms I have just consumed at the Barnes Summer Festival and the rush to analyse the latest 4pm numbers. Sorry.
  • Options
    England PCR positivity

• Options
    edited July 2021
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

But its rewarding less work, so its only half a statement. I only watch tennis occasionally but I cannot say I notice that much of a difference, and the top ones surely have the talent and physicality for best of 5, I don't see what the big deal is that is holding off from it.

Fan appetite certainly isnt a reason, under that argument there wouldn't be nearly as much reporting on women's football and cricket as there is (albeit it isn't that much), and women's tennis is much more high profile than those. There's appetite for the best women to prove themselves over best of 5, people like long matches featuring the best.
    There isn't serious fan appetite for women's best of 5. And at the slams you can't separate ticket sales so you can't link prize money to revenue. Rewarding less work? If work = time on court, yes, but this pales into insignificance given the symbolic positive power of 'equal prize money at slams' and the intractable problems that come with any other approach. Ie, (i) Have women's best of 5 at the slams despite no desire amongst fans or in the game for it, or (ii) Go backwards in time and set the women's prize money to be a fraction of the men's. Neither improves on the current situation. Both would replace a non problem with a real problem.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Because despite this being a global pandemic effects happen locally.

Scotland went from 164 cases on the 1st of May to 3333 and the 30th of June peak ni Scotland.
    The North West went from 258 to 4430 on the 30th
    The North East 71 to 2532

The East Midlands meanwhile has gone from 157 to 1476, ditto London, South East and East of England.
    I get that, but a change of under a thousand cases isn't actually that significant when the total is 30,000+
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

But its rewarding less work, so its only half a statement. I only watch tennis occasionally but I cannot say I notice that much of a difference, and the top ones surely have the talent and physicality for best of 5, I don't see what the big deal is that is holding off from it.

Fan appetite certainly isnt a reason, under that argument there wouldn't be nearly as much reporting on women's football and cricket as there is (albeit it isn't that much), and women's tennis is much more high profile than those. There's appetite for the best women to prove themselves over best of 5, people like long matches featuring the best.
    There isn't serious fan appetite for women's best of 5. And at the slams you can't separate ticket sales so you can't link prize money to revenue. Rewarding less work? If work = time on court, yes, but this pales into insignificance given the symbolic positive power of 'equal prize money at slams' and the intractable problems that come with any other approach. Ie, (i) Have women's best of 5 at the slams despite no desire amongst fans or in the game for it, or (ii) Go backwards in time and set the women's prize money to be a fraction of the men's. Neither improves on the current situation. Both would replace a non problem with a real problem.
    You’ve not addressed the doubles issue. It allows the top women to earn more than the men, which is not fair.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

• Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

You’ve not addressed the doubles issue. It allows the top women to earn more than the men, which is not fair.
    Albeit efforts at gender equality that cause reverse sexism are always quite funny.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

For what it's worth ...

14 day lag
    It is now 30,504.
    Apologies - I'm predicting admissions not deaths.

Deaths are only about 8% of admissions so 2,050 admissions is about 160 daily deaths.
    Yes, that sounds more plausible.

Hopefully we won't have to use our surge plan again, discontinuing operating and redeployment theatre staff and junior doctors.
  • Options
    Hospitals vs cases

• Options
    glw said:

Or, as a somewhat racist 'joke' of the 50's put it 'The Irish don't know what they want and are willing to fight for it!"
  • Options

glw said:

Or, as a somewhat racist 'joke' of the 50's put it 'The Irish don't know what they want and are willing to fight for it!"
    Careful OKC you’ll get cancelled!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Albeit efforts at gender equality that cause reverse sexism are always quite funny.
    Actual gender equality in sport would probably involve abolishing the separate men's and women's competition and just having one which is open to all...
  • Options

To be fair, so was much of the Conservative Party, with Lord Halifax for example, and the former Edward VIII.

As an aside. If Edward VIII had stayed on in 1936 would we now be a Republic?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Actual gender equality in sport would probably involve abolishing the separate men's and women's competition and just having one which is open to all...
    Would solve all trans issues with one swoop. Not popular I suspect.
  • Options

glw said:

There was a German spy parachuted into Ireland to stir up the IRA and cause trouble in the north. In the few weeks he was working for them before the Garda caught up, he become rather disillusioned. He once told his hosts ‘you may know how to die for Ireland, but you don’t have a fucking clue how to fight for it.’
  • Options

glw said:

If I could remember what the rest of the 'joke' was I might be!

Ah; memory stirs a bit 'The English are self-made and worship their Creator!'
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Except possibly for Billie Jean King.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Why her?
  • Options

glw said:

The Welsh pray on their knees and on their neighbours.

The Scots keep the Sabbath and everything else they can lay their hands on.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

To be fair, so was much of the Conservative Party, with Lord Halifax for example, and the former Edward VIII.

Probably a National Socialist one!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Why her?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

glw said:

The Welsh pray on their knees and on their neighbours.

The Scots keep the Sabbath and everything else they can lay their hands on.
    Obliged.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

glw said:

There was a German spy parachuted into Ireland to stir up the IRA and cause trouble in the north. In the few weeks he was working for them before the Garda caught up, he become rather disillusioned. He once told his hosts ‘you may know how to die for Ireland, but you don’t have a fucking clue how to fight for it.’
    The Germans and the Irish seem unlikely bed-fellows.
  • Options
    Looking at the Telegraph's frankly absurd home page. Subtitles relating to travel:
    "Kick in the teeth", "Summer nightmare', "'Arbitrary' ban".

Has anyone told them we're in the middle of a global pandemic?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Actually, Halifax was an appeaser from the position of hating the Nazis*. And Stalinism. He believed that another general war would kill millions and hand Europe to one dictator or the other. He was prepared to do just about anything to stop that.

*Read his diaries on this.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

De Valera agreed with you. But the IRA thought of their enemy’s enemy as a friend. And so did the Nazis.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Foxy said:

Actually, Halifax was an appeaser from the position of hating the Nazis*. And Stalinism. He believed that another general war would kill millions and hand Europe to one dictator or the other. He was prepared to do just about anything to stop that.

*Read his diaries on this.
    Yes, very different from the SNP nutjobs who actively wanted the Nazis to win.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    RobD said:

Looking at the Telegraph's frankly absurd home page. Subtitles relating to travel:
    "Kick in the teeth", "Summer nightmare', "'Arbitrary' ban".

Has anyone told them we're in the middle of a global pandemic?

Frankly absurd? The Telegraph?
    Not a sudden development.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Why her?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)
    I never saw how that helped anything: Riggs was getting on for twice King's age and even so he had beaten the women's world number 1, Court, a few months earlier.

If she had beaten the then men's number 1 it would have been much more convincing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

De Valera agreed with you. But the IRA thought of their enemy’s enemy as a friend. And so did the Nazis.
    The wars between the Soviet Union and Finland are a case in point. Finland was rather unlucky to be 'done over' by the allies; for example, if they'd pressed on towards Leningrad, instead of stopping when they'd recouped the land they'd lost the Siege might well have been broken and the city taken by the Germans.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

It's just at the slams. They are special because they are the masthead of the sport and the draw and venue is shared by the sexes. You can't hypothecate the revenue. Tennis is unusual in this respect of having shared events at the pinnacle.

Given this, and given no appetite in the game or from the fans for women's best of 5, you have a choice between equal prize money or setting the women's as a fraction of the men's. The latter is a can of worms. So the bottom line is, equal prize money at tennis grand slams might irritate some blokes on the internet - and I get why - but it's better than any viable alternative.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

glw said:

The Germans had been trying to use the IRA as a weapon against the UK since *before* WWI...
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Foxy said:

Once you reach a high prevalence, contact tracing becomes pretty meaningless. It only works when there are sporadic cases.

I note the Netherlands dropped nearly all restrictions on June 23rd.
    First, I live in NRW and I haven't heard that contact tracing has stopped. Which doesn't mean it hasn't, but the only report I have seen is the above tweet. What has happened is that in districts with a 7 day incidence of less than 10, some of the the requirements to collect contact data from people (to be used later in contact tracing, eg when visiting a library last week I had to sign in and out, now I won't have to) have been dropped. I don't know if this is a bad idea, but I suspect it has been done because the data showed almost no cases being traced that way?

Second, the 7 day per 100000 incidence rate in NRW is 6.6. This is slightly up on last week but obviously massively down on rates of 200 earlier in the year when contact tracing was still happening. So if it has stopped it won't be because a high prevalence has been reached.

Third the Netherlands dropped restrictions, but started bringing some back yesterday.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

It's just at the slams. They are special because they are the masthead of the sport and the draw and venue is shared by the sexes. You can't hypothecate the revenue. Tennis is unusual in this respect of having shared events at the pinnacle.

Given this, and given no appetite in the game or from the fans for women's best of 5, you have a choice between equal prize money or setting the women's as a fraction of the men's. The latter is a can of worms. So the bottom line is, equal prize money at tennis grand slams might irritate some blokes on the internet - and I get why - but it's better than any viable alternative.
    Except the viable alternative is both play three sets or both play five...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

And I should say I am not objecting to equal pay. It’s the unequal nature of the set up, especially the doubles opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.