Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The big issue in Chesham and Amersham wasn’t HS2 – but Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2021 in General
imageThe big issue in Chesham and Amersham wasn’t HS2 – but Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

There’s an interesting feature just published by the Guardian about the C&A by-election just a fortnight ago which makes the interesting point that HS2 is being used by the Tories to explain the shock result rather that was the big issue with many former Tory voters there, the PM Boris Johnson.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited July 2021
    First to call Hartlepool peak Boris, expecting confirmation tomorrow morning.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited July 2021
    Few think Boris is perfect, but he's streets ahead of the likely alternatives at winning elections which count, and even many, like these by-elections, that don't. And the government is doing outstandingly well in popularity for a fourth term government in midterm after a testing and barely precedented health crisis.

The mortuaries of British politics are littered with the corpses of those who have called peak Boris.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Good header, you only have to look at the bloke's record to see he's grade A voter repellent...
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    All parties play “Spot the Squirrel”. The art is in realising when they’re doing it. However, the HS2 squirrel after Chesham and Amersham was a bit too obvious.

I certainly hope we have seen Peak Boris. He needs his Falklands War. Maybe that’s why he was mucking about in Crimea last week.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Surprise surprise another bash Boris thread.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    FPT:

Although I think it regrettable such persons need to prove anything to anybody, I was left wondering just what kind of torture device he was employing for the face-on and side-on photography.

He makes it sound like some kind of CAT-scan.

I don't know for sure, but it is common with online identity checks to ask people to move their face around to detect "liveness" and defeat a photo being presented. It could be simply something like that.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited July 2021
    Boris has found a centre ground that gives him red wall seats at the cost of a few former Tory seats that turn Lib Dem / Labour.

I suspect your typical Tory won't care unless they are the representative of one of those no longer safe seats (see for instance Steve Baker in High Wycombe).
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,929
    Certainly the past couple of weeks have seen it dawn on Conservative MPs what some of us were saying on PB even before the election, that Boris is not like his predecessors and in 2019 he ran against Cameron and May, even with the more popular elements of Jeremy Corbyn's 2017 campaign.

Even before Covid, Boris promised: an end to austerity; state intervention in industry; large-scale public sector investment. (Oh, and oven-ready Brexit.)

This is one reason Labour finds it hard to land a blow on policy grounds. Labour would by-and-large be doing the same sorts of things, and the managerialist argument that "we would do them better" is unpersuasive. Starmer would do better to attack Boris for sleaze and corruption. Instead Labour too often becomes embroiled in unwinnable culture wars and foreign policy irrelevancies.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

All parties play “Spot the Squirrel”. The art is in realising when they’re doing it. However, the HS2 squirrel after Chesham and Amersham was a bit too obvious.

I certainly hope we have seen Peak Boris. He needs his Falklands War. Maybe that’s why he was mucking about in Crimea last week.

Wars are only good for bounces if you have a realistic chance of winning ......

Surprise surprise another bash Boris thread.

Better than another bash the Jocks thread.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    28k...22...259.....

I did find it slightly disconcerting that 2k a day doubled jabbed people are catching COVID. I think it is wise to take some personal responsibility and remain a little cautious.
    Floater said:

Wars are only good for bounces if you have a realistic chance of winning ......
    I know that, you know that, Maggie knew that, but does Long Covid de Pfeffel know that? The residents within a 100 mile radius of HMNB Clyde deserve to know. HMG seems determined to send them to meet their maker.

I know that, you know that, Maggie knew that, but does Long Covid de Pfeffel know that? The residents within a 100 mile radius of HMNB Clyde deserve to know. HMG seems determined to send them to meet their maker.

Do you have any idea what a berk you look like with stuff like "Long Covid de Pfeffel"?

28k...22...259.....

I did find it slightly disconcerting that 2k a day doubled jabbed people are catching COVID. I think it is wise to take some personal responsibility and remain a little cautious.

15 months ago there were some people saying Covid was just bad flu and others getting very indignant about that. I wonder what the reality really is now if you're double jabbed - I suspect on average considerably milder than a bad bout of flu. If Covid had the same hospitalisation and death profile it does now last year, we'd never have had any legal restrictions and the only reason they remain is inertia and sunk cost fallacy.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,773
    eek said:

Boris has found a centre ground that gives him red wall seats at the cost of a few former Tory seats that turn Lib Dem / Labour.

I suspect your typical Tory won't care unless they are the representative of one of those no longer safe seats (see for instance Steve Baker in High Wycombe).

The fundamental problem is that it's difficult to ride two horses at the same time. There's only so much money to go around, and while few things are zero sum, it's still the case that some Southern taxpayers will feel cross that "their" money is being spent up North.

The same arguments rage in Germany, where the Eastern Lander have progressed economically (and are now wealthier than most regions in the UK), but the burden for regeneration has fallen on the West.

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

28k...22...259.....

If the population was equally split among double and completely unvaccinated then you'd expect vaccinated cases to be somewhere around 1/10 of unvaccinated, all else being equal (if double vaccinated = 90% protection against infection). We're over that share of vaccinations for adults and a much larger number with one dose of vaccine, but still counting cases (and doing a lot of testing) in children so need to look at whole population vax percentages. So... 2k out of 28k seems somewhere about right?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    Savanta Comres just now

A plurality of voters believe Keir Starmer should resign as Labour Party leader if he loses the Batley and Spen by-election which is taking place today, exclusive polling for Left Foot Forward can reveal.

Of those surveyed, 35% of voters think Keir Starmer should quit as Labour leader, compared to 28% who think he should stay on.

The survey, conducted by Savanta for Left Foot Forward consisted of 2,191 voters.

Voters of all age groups, except those aged between 25-34, say Starmer should go if Labour were to lose the by-election, though 37% answered ‘Don’t Know’. The party has held the seat for nearly a quarter of a century.

Calls for Starmer to go were highest in the North-East of the country, with 47% saying the Labour leader should resign if he loses the by-election today.

Support for Starmer to remain however, was highest in the North-West, with 34% of those asked saying he should stay on as leader even if he loses the crucial by-election.

Among those who voted Labour in 2019, 33% believe Starmer should resign if he loses compared to 42% who think he should stay. Of those who had voted Conservative, 46% believe Starmer should quit.

It comes as talk of a leadership challenge grows as voters in Batley and Spen go to the polls.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Another record breaking day in Scotland:

Scotland Daily Coronavirus (COVID-19) Report · Thursday 1st July.

4,234 new cases (people positive) reported, giving a total of 285,456.

6 new deaths reported, giving a total of 7,722.

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1410587251449516042?s=20
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

28k...22...259.....

Personally, we're going to be battening down the hatches slightly from next week - or as much as we can with a child in school. Get deliveries in again and stop playdates between the little 'un and his friends. I guess some on here may laugh or sneer at this - but we'd really prefer not to get the lurgy.

We'll still go running and do most of the stuff we normally do - except for being inside places with lots of other people.
    glw said:

Do you have any idea what a berk you look like with stuff like "Long Covid de Pfeffel"?
    Indeed it is sad that anyone should use long covid in that context

28k...22...259.....

Personally, we're going to be battening down the hatches slightly from next week - or as much as we can with a child in school. Get deliveries in again and stop playdates between the little 'un and his friends. I guess some on here may laugh or sneer at this - but we'd really prefer not to get the lurgy.

We'll still go running and do most of the stuff we normally do - except for being inside places with lots of other people.
    No desire to laugh at you, as long as you don't want the rest of the world to live by your risk appetite and your priorities.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    edited July 2021

glw said:

I'm more worried about the impact on the governance of the UK. Mr Johnson's performance at PMQ was quite disturbing. There's something wrong. Or is he just going deaf? Bad enough as that would be.

Breaking

Nissan confirm they are to build a 1 billion pound car battery factory in Sunderland

Absolutely coincidental that this announced on by Election Day
    I hadn't thought about that but if so good politics
    The BBC also says that
    'The government is contributing to the cost of the expansion, but a precise figure has not been disclosed.'

Ion other words, a massive handout. Some might call it a bribe.

I am sorry but investing in the future green economy is essential and is actively promoted by all governments

All governments recently signed a “level playing field” treaty, but one of the signatories was crossing their fingers behind their back. Guess which one.
    The EU are over and the UK will decide on investments and jobs

Investment decisions will surely be based on access to markets into which to sell, so the EU is not over. It's just that the relationship and dependency is different.
    Big G’s statement that “the EU is over” neatly illustrates why the Conservative Party is not fit for purpose. Even moderates like Big G have now embraced the culture war. The past is alterable. The past never has been altered. Yookania is at war with Redpassportland. Yookania has always been at war with Redpassportland.
    I don’t think that’s quite what Big G meant, rather than the EU is over as a key influence on domestic policy.

But your general point is correct.

Nevertheless, the Brexity culture warriors know their cause is both potent and fragile; hence the government’s bung to the totemic Nissan.
    In what way is Brexit “fragile”? I’ve lost count of the number of formerly strident Remainers who have reconciled themselves to the new status quo, not least the entire Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party.

Brexit is now firmly embedded in BritNat mythology. England is stuck with it for the foreseeable. The other three have an escape route, although the Welsh path to victory looks long.

In what way is a Japanese car company “totemic”? Is it just because they’re not European?
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

That's true, but that's why the flaws need to be properly acknowledged and addressed, not dealt with in a defensive manner, otherwise they aren't resolved and gives and gave ammunition to opponents. I've been on both sides of the issue.

It's also why being in the room, having a seat at the table, making the rules, is better than running away and hoping nobody hurts you, like we did.
    Except we're massively better off out.

We've taken our money with us and our law making is our own. There is no real downside, besides special interest whingers.
    In what ways are we better off? Can you name any?
    1: We control our own money, so we're about £10 billion per annum better off.
    2: We control our own laws, so we pass whichever laws our Parliament decides at our elections.
    3: We control our own borders, not something I ever cared about but since we don't have a free market in housing and NIMBYs are still doing all they can to halt construction it seems in hindsight I was wrong to support free movement.
    4: The NHS has gained over £400mn a week in real terms. More than meeting that £350mn promised.

A few massive benefits.
    “ £10 billion per annum better off.”. That’s a long way short of £340M a day 😮. And that’s even before the £££ extra in extra costs on business Brexit has introduced that also needs to be subtracted from the £10B. And also the other bits of the £10B not saved because we didn’t opt out, security, policing, science etc.
    “ The NHS has gained over £400mn a week in real terms. More than meeting that £350mn promised.”. Whaaaaaaaaaaat? That needs explaining.
    NHS funding in real terms:
    2016 £137.4 bn
    2021 £159bn [excluding Covid expenditure]

Difference = £21.6bn = £416mn per week.

Funding the NHS instead of the EU ✅
    Firstly, we have stopped contributing about 0.6% of our GDP to EU, so there should be a little bit to play with. But we haven’t saved anything like £340M a week to play with, stop repeating that gross figure gross lie.

Secondly, without disputing the tractor stat you reeled off, as a lone wolf better than a political party’s rebut unit, where did that money come from, as it wasn’t the Brexit dividend. To what extent was NHS and NHS pay starved whilst ring fenced in austerity years before that rise? Has it come from adding to government debt, or from cuts and sneaky tax rises? Is it just NHS you refer to, or was that swallowed by Social Care.

The better in economic argument, supported by big majority of world economists , we won’t become frantically worse off straight away, but poorer over years with less to spend on Nissan Bungs and NHS.
    Carnyx said:

glw said:

I'm more worried about the impact on the governance of the UK. Mr Johnson's performance at PMQ was quite disturbing. There's something wrong. Or is he just going deaf?
    I think you may have a point

Yesterday, Boris just mumbled and could not think on his feet

To me, he looked exhausted and he may have some residual issues with covid and even deafness

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

28k...22...259.....

I think at the moment the country, and its leaders, are stuck in a lost middle. We're clearly not doing enough to stop the spread of Delta Covid. Equally clearly, we don't really need to, because we have vaccinated enough.

Yet we're asking loads of people to take tests, to isolate, to wear masks, to not dance at weddings, in a pretend attempt to control the spread which we're not really seriously trying to control.

Personally, I will be cautious until two weeks after my second dose, but as a society is the hassle, and the legal restrictions on trade, really worth it? If it was worth it, then I think it would be worth reimposing some restrictions to actually reverse the increase in cases.

The muddled middle doesn't make sense to me in this case.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,285
    IshmaelZ said:

You think Labour may hold Batley?
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

The fundamental problem is that it's difficult to ride two horses at the same time. There's only so much money to go around, and while few things are zero sum, it's still the case that some Southern taxpayers will feel cross that "their" money is being spent up North.

The same arguments rage in Germany, where the Eastern Lander have progressed economically (and are now wealthier than most regions in the UK), but the burden for regeneration has fallen on the West.

So, the former DDR is now wealthier than most of the UK. According to Brexiteers the EU is a basket case and all things Yookay are an unmitigated triumph.

Carnyx said:

glw said:

I'm more worried about the impact on the governance of the UK. Mr Johnson's performance at PMQ was quite disturbing. There's something wrong. Or is he just going deaf?

To me, he looked exhausted and he may have some residual issues with covid and even deafness

Maybe his baby kept him up all night. It happens.
    edited July 2021
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

I think the seats that matter at a general election are those that are 50% Red Wall and 50% Blue Wall. Constituencies like those in Milton Keynes, Northampton, Swindon, Stevenage, Ipswich, Calder Valley, Colne Valley, etc. Whichever party/leader appeals most to those hybrid seats wins the election most of the time.
    edited July 2021
    Selebian said:

28k...22...259.....

If the population was equally split among double and completely unvaccinated then you'd expect vaccinated cases to be somewhere around 1/10 of unvaccinated, all else being equal (if double vaccinated = 90% protection against infection). We're over that share of vaccinations for adults and a much larger number with one dose of vaccine, but still counting cases (and doing a lot of testing) in children so need to look at whole population vax percentages. So... 2k out of 28k seems somewhere about right?
    Oh it is absolutely to be expected. Disconcerting was probably the wrong choice of word. The media focus on for instance the story of Andrew Marr getting it despite double jabbed is somewhat annoying, its going to happen.

I am not going to be building the barricades just yet, but not in a rush to stand indoors with 100/1000s of people. It going to be another couple of months for this wave to work its way through.

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

So, the former DDR is now wealthier than most of the UK. According to Brexiteers the EU is a basket case and all things Yookay are an unmitigated triumph.
    The former DDR is, vast parts of other parts of europe. While the DDR has done wonders economically, Italy and Greece have gone backwards since 2001.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

You think Labour may hold Batley?
    Personally I think the Tories will take it, but if by any chance they don't the narrative will become how Boris lost two by-elections in a row that the Tories were expected to win easily ...
    ... and if Boris is no longer seen as a winner he becomes quite vulnerable.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    maaarsh said:

28k...22...259.....

No desire to laugh at you, as long as you don't want the rest of the world to live by your risk appetite and your priorities.
    Not in the least: we all have to judge our own risk levels. Certainly looking at the figures in my area, only 3 people have been admitted to Cambridge University Hospitals over the last week, and there has only been 1 death, despite increasing case levels. That's far better than I'd expect (although, of course, tragic for anyone affected). If we look at the figures one way, they're good.

But as I said earlier, my wife had severe lung issues in 2019, and we'd rather avoid her getting anything that might cause her lungs problems - especially as the cause was never 100% nailed down. And we're in a fortunate position where we can practically and financially take a little more care.
    edited July 2021

Personally, I will be cautious until two weeks after my second dose, but as a society is the hassle, and the legal restrictions on trade, really worth it? If it was worth it, then I think it would be worth reimposing some restrictions to actually reverse the increase in cases.

Stronger restrictions would probably do more harm than good now, as they come with their own health costs. My hunch is that any further restrictions will only be used to slow the rate of increase of cases, not to try and reverse it. I'm sure that the government know that covid is going to reach almost every unvaccinated person, so lockdowns are only going to delay the inevitable. So the plan is to mitigate rather than suppress the virus from now on, and although the government is unlikely to say so I suspect they would rather the remaining cases amongst the least vulnerable occur now rather than later in the year.
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Fishing said:

Carnyx said:

glw said:

Or thoughts of the million quid May has made since he ousted her…
    Not a big Cavendish fan, but that was magnificent.

Philipsen and Merlier have to decide who is top dog. Philipsen looks like a whiner to me.

That French sprinter Bouhanni is looking great.

Eddy Merckx will have to get in training again :smiley:
    edited July 2021
    One continued positive take away, the level of reinfection, even with Indian variant is still incredibly low. So far a total of 15k potential cases, i think 500-600 probable but only 50 confirmed.

Even if its the full 15k, that is an incredibly small number.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    UK cases by specimen date

Oh, I was wrong, it is going to be another Jockbashing thread.
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

England PCR positivity

UK case summary

• RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    The kiss of death for Kim:

https://twitter.com/PaulWilliamsLAB/status/1410550609820925953

"Happy to be out in the sun this morning campaigning for
    @kimleadbeater
    in #BatleyAndSpenByelection #labour"

Not a big Cavendish fan, but that was magnificent.

Philipsen and Merlier have to decide who is top dog. Philipsen looks like a whiner to me.

That French sprinter Bouhanni is looking great.

Eddy Merckx will have to get in training again :smiley:

https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1410620792967110657?s=19
  • eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

The former DDR is, vast parts of other parts of europe. While the DDR has done wonders economically, Italy and Greece have gone backwards since 2001.
    The former DDR is a good example of leveling up - paid for by a 5.5% additional East German solidarity tax for 30 years.
    UK hospitals

edited July 2021

How is that jock bashing? People post exactly this for all sorts of countries every thread.
    edited July 2021
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

That's not quite true.

Greece GDP per capita
    2001 - $12,500
    2019 - $19,500

Italy
    2001 - $20,400
    2019 - $33,200
    UK deaths

glw said:

Other more accurate epithets are available: Liar, Shagger, Clown.

Whatever we call him, he's an absolute wazzock.
    UK R

Age related data

Savanta Comres just now

A plurality of voters believe Keir Starmer should resign as Labour Party leader if he loses the Batley and Spen by-election which is taking place today, exclusive polling for Left Foot Forward can reveal.

[snip]

Time to recall Nabavi's Rule of Resignation Polling: Any opinion poll which asks if politician X should resign will always produce a plurality in favour of X resigning - even if X is a made-up name.
    Are you saying Keir Starmer is a fictional character?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Savanta Comres just now

[snip]

Time to recall Nabavi's Rule of Resignation Polling: Any opinion poll which asks if politician X should resign will always produce a plurality in favour of X resigning - even if X is a made-up name.
    He might as well be, for all the impact he's making!
    UK vaccinations

• YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Carnyx said:

glw said:

I suspect it is just not worth Boris taking PMQs seriously at the mo.

Remember Hague regularly beat Blair at PMQs with his questions -- & much good did it do Hague. He went down to a thumping defeat.

Boris is far happier mouthing optimistic banalities at photo-ops like visiting the new Nissan plant -- and more to the point, they are just much more effective for his purposes.

My guess is Boris probably thinks : why waste the energy boning up on a lot of dull detail for Sir Forensics ?

It is like Man City playing Forest Green Rovers Reserve Team. We are not going to see de Bruijne & Co puffing about the pitch, exerting themselves.

Maybe if Sir Forensics were a bit closer in the polls, lazy Boris might have to exert himself.

But, of course, Sir Fornesics is struggling to hold on to seats that Corbyn won rather easily.

Breaking

Nissan confirm they are to build a 1 billion pound car battery factory in Sunderland

Absolutely coincidental that this announced on by Election Day
    I hadn't thought about that but if so good politics
    The BBC also says that
    'The government is contributing to the cost of the expansion, but a precise figure has not been disclosed.'

Ion other words, a massive handout. Some might call it a bribe.

I am sorry but investing in the future green economy is essential and is actively promoted by all governments

All governments recently signed a “level playing field” treaty, but one of the signatories was crossing their fingers behind their back. Guess which one.
    The EU are over and the UK will decide on investments and jobs

Investment decisions will surely be based on access to markets into which to sell, so the EU is not over. It's just that the relationship and dependency is different.
    Big G’s statement that “the EU is over” neatly illustrates why the Conservative Party is not fit for purpose. Even moderates like Big G have now embraced the culture war. The past is alterable. The past never has been altered. Yookania is at war with Redpassportland. Yookania has always been at war with Redpassportland.
    I don’t think that’s quite what Big G meant, rather than the EU is over as a key influence on domestic policy.

But your general point is correct.

Nevertheless, the Brexity culture warriors know their cause is both potent and fragile; hence the government’s bung to the totemic Nissan.
    In what way is Brexit “fragile”? I’ve lost count of the number of formerly strident Remainers who have reconciled themselves to the new status quo, not least the entire Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party.

Brexit is now firmly embedded in BritNat mythology. England is stuck with it for the foreseeable. The other three have an escape route, although the Welsh path to victory looks long.

In what way is a Japanese car company “totemic”? Is it just because they’re not European?
    Nissan doing what they threatened and shutting the place would have been a pretty major PR blow for the government. £100m is pretty cheap in the scheme of things - is the cash going to Nissan to develop a new car or to Envision to develop the new battery?
    Hospitalisation vs cases

Anecdata re the great unlocking. Paradoxically, I've now seen a couple of people book holidays but then decline social activity in order not to endanger their covid-free test status.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587

Savanta Comres just now

Of those surveyed, 35% of voters think Keir Starmer should quit as Labour leader, compared to 28% who think he should stay on.

The survey, conducted by Savanta for Left Foot Forward consisted of 2,191 voters.

Voters of all age groups, except those aged between 25-34, say Starmer should go if Labour were to lose the by-election, though 37% answered ‘Don’t Know’. The party has held the seat for nearly a quarter of a century.

Calls for Starmer to go were highest in the North-East of the country, with 47% saying the Labour leader should resign if he loses the by-election today.

Support for Starmer to remain however, was highest in the North-West, with 34% of those asked saying he should stay on as leader even if he loses the crucial by-election.

Among those who voted Labour in 2019, 33% believe Starmer should resign if he loses compared to 42% who think he should stay. Of those who had voted Conservative, 46% believe Starmer should quit.

It comes as talk of a leadership challenge grows as voters in Batley and Spen go to the polls.

You seem to be very keen to see the back of Starmer. Any favourites for PM in waiting? RLB, Richard Burgon, and don't forget if the Conservatives lose their lustre that is the sort of moron we could be lumbered with...but of course Johnson was looking gorgeous in Sunderland today.
    Some history

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Big final Labour push on the national phone banks at the moment to get the last of the vote out. Everyone's commented on the Tory stealth campaign, which for all I know may be working well, but it's worth saying now that there's been a well-organised, determined Labour push from the start which the "unhappy unnamed campaigners" quoted by journalists have rather helpfully obscured.

Whether it will be enough I somewhat doubt but morale seems surprisingly good. We'll know in, uh, 12 hours or so.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Carnyx said:

glw said:

Remember Hague regularly beat Blair at PMQs with his questions -- & much good did it do Hague. He went down to a thumping defeat.

Boris is far happier mouthing optimistic banalities at photo-ops like visiting the new Nissan plant -- and more to the point, they are just much more effective for his purposes.

My guess is Boris probably thinks : why waste the energy boning up on a lot of dull detail for Sir Forensics ?

It is like Man City playing Forest Green Rovers Reserve Team. We are not going to see de Bruijne & Co puffing about the pitch, exerting themselves.

Maybe if Sir Forensics were a bit closer in the polls, lazy Boris might have to exert himself.

But, of course, Sir Fornesics is struggling to hold on to seats that Corbyn won rather easily.
    BoJo is no Tony Blair

Big final Labour push on the national phone banks at the moment to get the last of the vote out. Everyone's commented on the Tory stealth campaign, which for all I know may be working well, but it's worth saying now that there's been a well-organised, determined Labour push from the start which the "unhappy unnamed campaigners" quoted by journalists have rather helpfully obscured.

Whether it will be enough I somewhat doubt but morale seems surprisingly good. We'll know in, uh, 12 hours or so.

Decoded....Labour easy win.

Savanta Comres just now

You seem to be very keen to see the back of Starmer. Any favourites for PM in waiting? RLB, Richard Burgon, and don't forget if the Conservatives lose their lustre that is the sort of moron we could be lumbered with...but of course Johnson was looking gorgeous in Sunderland today.
    Stamrer slaughtered BoJo at PMQs yesterday.

Savanta Comres just now

[snip]

Keir Starmer = Enoch Soames

Was anyone else in the British Museum Reading Room at the appointed hour?
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

That's not quite true.

Greece GDP per capita
    2001 - $12,500
    2019 - $19,500

Italy
    2001 - $20,400
    2019 - $33,200
    A PBer telling fibs? Who’d’ve thunk it?
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

I think a lot of people on here like Scots as a whole. Nats on the other hand, well, you may have seen my previous post about the erstwhile party of the man that was described by his QC as a bully and a sex pest. You shouldn't equate being critical of the Scottish Nasty Party as being critical of the Scottish people, they are not one and the same, even though the Nats would like to think so.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    edited July 2021

The kiss of death for Kim:

https://twitter.com/PaulWilliamsLAB/status/1410550609820925953

"Happy to be out in the sun this morning campaigning for
    @kimleadbeater
    in #BatleyAndSpenByelection #labour"

That's an awful hashtag - what are the chances of typing that correctly on a phone?

I suspect #FBPE may be trending on Friday - Failed Batley, Pick Evertonian :wink:

On Betfair, Labour's come in a smidge to 5.6 from 6.2 most of the day, but the market is so thin that I'd not read too much into it.

Savanta Comres just now

[snip]

Which one?

Charles Pooter in The Diary of a Nobody

Perhaps not, Pooter is a bit too lively :)

I think a lot of people on here like Scots as a whole. Nats on the other hand, well, you may have seen my previous post about the erstwhile party of the man that was described by his QC as a bully and a sex pest. You shouldn't equate being critical of the Scottish Nasty Party as being critical of the Scottish people, they are not one and the same, even though the Nats would like to think so.
    I'm not sure it is Jock bashing to look at things like this and ask "Wut?"

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    Israel said negotiating COVID vaccine swap deal with UK

https://timesofisrael.com/israel-said-negotiating-covid-vaccine-swap-deal-with-uk/

Carnyx said:

glw said:

BoJo is no Tony Blair
    I hope not. We don't want another failed military intervention in the Middle East.
    Fishing said:

Carnyx said:

glw said:

...or maybe he isn't very good at speaking without a script or a well rehearsed gag.

The answer to any question now appears to be a derivative of "Labour jabber, Conservatives jab", even if the question to which he is answering relates to a totally unconnected subject like a decline in rape convictions.
    edited July 2021

On Betfair, Labour's come in a smidge to 5.6 from 6.2 most of the day, but the market is so thin that I'd not read too much into it.
    Given the Tories have run no visible campaign, you would be mistaken that they are even trying to win. Their candidate runs away at the sight of a journalist.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

Carnyx said:

glw said:

BoJo is no Tony Blair
    I find it hard to imagine someone with the inflated ego of Boris Johnson thinking "oh, well jolly japes, er er er I don't mind if I lose at this er er er PMQs malarkey."!!

The lengths that his fanbois will go to to try and excuse his shitness really is quite funny.

Savanta Comres just now

[snip]

Yes, I think that is a good literary fit to Starmer. Excellently well done.

Savanta Comres just now

[snip]

Which one?

Charles Pooter in The Diary of a Nobody

Perhaps not, Pooter is a bit too lively :)
    Enoch Soames. A character who had so little effect in the story "Enoch Soames" by Max Beerbohm, that when he appears 100 years in the future, the only reference to himself in the British Library is as a fictional character in the story "Enoch Soames" by his friend Max Beerbohm....
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

That's not quite true.

Greece GDP per capita
    2001 - $12,500
    2019 - $19,500

Italy
    2001 - $20,400
    2019 - $33,200
    Economically illiterate comparison as those are nominal numbers.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    What price do you make the Tories in Chesham & Amersham at the next GE @MikeSmithson ?

Savanta Comres just now

[snip]

Yes, I think that is a good literary fit to Starmer. Excellently well done.
    I very nearly shook hands with Mr Soames when he appeared at 2:10pm on the day - then realised that might upset the timeline...

Well done to Teller.

Are you a fellow Catholic Diabolist?
    edited July 2021
    Apparently there is first class and cattle class even in illegal immigrant smuggling....

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/1410626268253523971?s=19
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184

UK R

Malmesbury - I know I keep going on about this - but why is hospital admissions R going up when hospital admissions look fairly flat at the moment?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089

Carnyx said:

glw said:

BoJo is no Tony Blair
    I find it hard to imagine someone with the inflated ego of Boris Johnson thinking "oh, well jolly japes, er er er I don't mind if I lose at this er er er PMQs malarkey."!!

The lengths that his fanbois will go to to try and excuse his shitness really is quite funny.
    Trouble is that Boris isn't really being undone by not grasping the detail. Though that's never going to be his strong point. He's allowed a great big folder of facts and lines, after all.

Boris's trouble is that he can never apologise when things go wrong. He will always try to relax the tension with a joke, even when it's totally the wrong thing to do. For someone who I think has a superpower of reading individuals to make them feel good, he's surprisingly awful at reading the room.

And all of that will be much harder for him to fix... because that's kind of who he is.

What is the line about high office being an X-ray of the officeholder's soul?
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    How long before the daily cases overtakes the daily first doses?

A couple of weeks maybe?
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

That's not quite true.

Greece GDP per capita
    2001 - $12,500
    2019 - $19,500

Italy
    2001 - $20,400
    2019 - $33,200
    I used the PPP-adjusted numbers from the World Bank to avoid that issue.

A much better response would be that that hides an almighty boom in the early 2000s, and that Greek GDP per capita is still nowhere near the peak of 2008.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Carnyx said:

glw said:

BoJo is no Tony Blair

Trouble is that Boris isn't really being undone by not grasping the detail. Though that's never going to be his strong point. He's allowed a great big folder of facts and lines, after all.

Boris's trouble is that he can never apologise when things go wrong. He will always try to relax the tension with a joke, even when it's totally the wrong thing to do. For someone who I think has a superpower of reading individuals to make them feel good, he's surprisingly awful at reading the room.

And all of that will be much harder for him to fix... because that's kind of who he is.

What is the line about high office being an X-ray of the officeholder's soul?
    I do wonder if his knee jerk whimsy may prove to be his fatal flaw.
    One of these days he may well make light of the wrong thing.
    Cookie said:

UK R

Malmesbury - I know I keep going on about this - but why is hospital admissions R going up when hospital admissions look fairly flat at the moment?
    Remember that this is a lagging indicator - "driving while looking in the rear view mirror"

Last date is 25th

Is you look at the raw numbers chart, you can see what happens -

edited July 2021
    The Red Wall / Blue Wall division is another one of those silly ideas that ignores the fact that it's the seats in the middle that are most important, just as the so-called North/South divide ignores the Midlands where people don't feel part of the north or the south. But the Midlands has more marginal seats other part of the country.

Savanta Comres just now

Stamrer slaughtered BoJo at PMQs yesterday.
    He did. Even BJO was impressed.

PB Tories seem to be as desperate to see the back of Starmer as do Corbynistas. I guess both PB Tories and Corbynistas have a similar aim, namely to return Conservative Prime Minister after Conservative Prime Minister
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

That's not quite true.

Greece GDP per capita
    2001 - $12,500
    2019 - $19,500

Italy
    2001 - $20,400
    2019 - $33,200
    I used the PPP-adjusted numbers from the World Bank to avoid that issue.

A much better response would be that that hides an almighty boom in the early 2000s, and that Greek GDP per capita is still nowhere near the peak of 2008.
    That doesn't avoid that issue. If they are nominal it is still misleading and economically illiterate to compare two dates.

Your other point is valid, though again needs to be made with data in real terms to be proved.
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

That's not quite true.

Greece GDP per capita
    2001 - $12,500
    2019 - $19,500

Italy
    2001 - $20,400
    2019 - $33,200
    It get's interesting when you look at the tricks being pulled here

Firstly exchange rates $1=0.90€ in 2001, $1=1.12€ in 2019

so
    Greece
    2001 - €13888
    2019 - €17410

Italy
    2001 - €22666
    2019 - €29642

Then look at inflation - for which let's use the Italy rate which says €100 in 2001 is €134.74 in 2019 https://www.inflationtool.com/euro-italy?amount=100&year1=2001&year2=2019

which gives me at 2019 prices

Greece
    2001 - €18713
    2019 - €17410

Italy

2001 - €30541
    2019 - €29642

So I think all you've shown there is that there are lies, damn lies and statistics. And anecdotally my Euro figures feel correct...

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

The former DDR is a good example of leveling up - paid for by a 5.5% additional East German solidarity tax for 30 years.
    The problem for the U.K. is:

a) there’s no evidence any government is willing to fund the levelling up required to bring the “non South” up to, say, the EU average for GDP per capita.

b) the DDR is something like 20% of overall German population, the “Not-South” is something like 50% of the U.K. population.

The U.K. “Not-South” is falling behind East Germany, old Central Europe (Czech etc) and the Baltics in terms of living standards.
    carnforth said:

Israel said negotiating COVID vaccine swap deal with UK

https://timesofisrael.com/israel-said-negotiating-covid-vaccine-swap-deal-with-uk/

This is the deal Israel failed to get past the Palestinians. Israel has a lot of Pfizer that is due to expire by the end of the month, so wants to swap it for longer-dated Pfizer. The deal is only a good one for us if we can rustle up sufficient willing arms in the next couple of weeks.
    isam said:

What price do you make the Tories in Chesham & Amersham at the next GE @MikeSmithson ?

No idea at this stage. Depends how well Sarah Green is at building up an organisation and from that her party starts winning council seats. The Tories also need to build an organisation which they simply haven't had
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

Carnyx said:

glw said:

I think menheer De Bruyne actually spells his name with a y. Whereas Johan Cruyff was actually Cruijff. It may be a Belgian v Dutch thing, at least in personal names. Or maybe just personal preference.
This discussion has been closed.