Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting moves sharply to the Tories in Batley and Spen – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2021 in General
The betting moves sharply to the Tories in Batley and Spen – politicalbetting.com

It's really simple for voters in #BatleyAndSpen. If you vote Galloway you get another Tory ally for Narendra Modi's BJP in parliament. The guy exists to sow division – look at his Trump-supporting mates ?? pic.twitter.com/Dunj00XTK0

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    First?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Surely not first?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    First
  • Options
    Should have just typed first!
  • Options
    TimT said:

Surely not first?

I think I had it by a second or two.
  • Options
    Oh well! First like Labour.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

First

Well, third like George...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    I would be surprised if a single voter in B&S sees that Paul Mason tweet other than perhaps the Labour candidate.
  • Options
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    2m
    TELEGRAPH: ⁦
    @MattCartoonist
    ⁩ on the money #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1408170251477471238
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Nine. Like the number David should be calling three times.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    Don't mention the war....

TELEGRAPH FRONT: Red card for fans over anti German chants #TomorrowsPapersToday https://t.co/HcxJLTNjrj
  • Options
    Blazing Saddles on BBC4...

• Options
    TimT said:

Should have just typed first!

Rookie move.

You type 'm' (it's closest to the right hand index finger so quickest), then utilise the edit feature.
  • Options
    Owen Jones Rose
    @OwenJones84
    In order to get elected as Labour leader, Keir Starmer promised to introduce free social care.

Now one of his key Shadow Cabinet members has declared that it would be too expensive.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,146

DavidL, if you're reading this, do call 999 now - I'd not read the detailed symptoms when I wrote general good wishes earlier. It's urgent, please don't wait.

A middle aged man with nasty chest pains should always go to hospital. Get a cab, David!
  • Options
    Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    3h
    “Labour says calling for free social care would ‘just give Tories a stick to beat us with”.

You suspect he won’t be there come next GE, but one upside of Starmer staying is Debonnaire would lose her Bristol West seat.
  • Options

DavidL, if you're reading this, do call 999 now - I'd not read the detailed symptoms when I wrote general good wishes earlier. It's urgent, please don't wait.

Listen to Nick, he's a doctor.
  • Options
    fpt for Big Rich

Yes Fauci explicitly argued for this research in Wuhan. This is him writing in 2012:

"In an unlikely but conceivable turn of events, what if that scientist becomes infected with the virus, which leads to an outbreak and ultimately triggers a pandemic? Many ask reasonable questions: given the possibility of such a scenario – however remote – should the initial experiments have been performed and/or published in the first place, and what were the processes involved in this decision?

"Scientists working in this field might say – as indeed I have said – that the benefits of such experiments and the resulting knowledge outweigh the risks. It is more likely that a pandemic would occur in nature, and the need to stay ahead of such a threat is a primary reason for performing an experiment that might appear to be risky.

"Within the research community, many have expressed concern that important research progress could come to a halt just because of the fear that someone, somewhere, might attempt to replicate these experiments sloppily. This is a valid concern."

Yet he funded it.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/fauci-argued-benefits-of-gain-of-function-research-outweighed-pandemic-risk-in-2012-paper/
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,563
    Batley & Birstall News

https://www.batleynews.co.uk/news/politics

Batley & Birstall News - Council bans Laurence Fox rally in Batley
    Actor-turned-political activist Laurence Fox has been told he can’t hold a rally in Batley town centre.

https://www.batleynews.co.uk/news/politics/council-bans-laurence-fox-rally-in-batley-3285575
  • Options

If he can walk he should get a cab or an Uber. Quicker- and easier
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    Video game playing PBers, take a look at this: https://youtu.be/n0CIaRBgecc
  • Options

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    3h
    “Labour says calling for free social care would ‘just give Tories a stick to beat us with”.

You suspect he won’t be there come next GE, but one upside of Starmer staying is Debonnaire would lose her Bristol West seat.

I know the Greens are doing well in Bristol and even got within 6k in 2015, but she currently has a majority of 28k (down from 37k in 2017!), which is pretty solid.

Interestingly, that seat has gone from LD by 10k, to not even standing a LD candidate!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I agree with Dr Palmer, chest pain is 999.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I am really looking forward to going for a picnic with friends in a couple of weeks...oh wooophs, I appear to be a massive violent racist......

The university has created a list of words and idioms, including 'picnic' and 'rule of thumb,' which it claims are 'violent' and suggests dreary alternatives such as 'outdoor eating' for the former and 'general rule' for the latter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9721153/Brandeis-University-anti-violence-group-bans-trigger-warning-violent-language.html
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Video game playing PBers, take a look at this: https://youtu.be/n0CIaRBgecc

Trying a bit too hard to be memey from the looks of it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

fpt for Big Rich

Yes Fauci explicitly argued for this research in Wuhan. This is him writing in 2012:

"In an unlikely but conceivable turn of events, what if that scientist becomes infected with the virus, which leads to an outbreak and ultimately triggers a pandemic? Many ask reasonable questions: given the possibility of such a scenario – however remote – should the initial experiments have been performed and/or published in the first place, and what were the processes involved in this decision?

"Scientists working in this field might say – as indeed I have said – that the benefits of such experiments and the resulting knowledge outweigh the risks. It is more likely that a pandemic would occur in nature, and the need to stay ahead of such a threat is a primary reason for performing an experiment that might appear to be risky.

"Within the research community, many have expressed concern that important research progress could come to a halt just because of the fear that someone, somewhere, might attempt to replicate these experiments sloppily. This is a valid concern."

Yet he funded it.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/fauci-argued-benefits-of-gain-of-function-research-outweighed-pandemic-risk-in-2012-paper/

Just watched the last video you shared, he comes across as tenably argent, it sounds to me as: 'I'm very clever, I know what's best for you, only I can understand the risks and I am better than you'

I don't know what happened, but I do hope this is the end of his career.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    3h

I know the Greens are doing well in Bristol and even got within 6k in 2015, but she currently has a majority of 28k (down from 37k in 2017!), which is pretty solid.

Interestingly, that seat has gone from LD by 10k, to not even standing a LD candidate!
    There was a deal with the Greens I think.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

kle4 said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    3h

Nevertheless a deal that you stand down in an area demonstrates you were, rightly, considered a superfluous weak link in that area.

(I think the LDs stood down in something like 5 seats?)
  • Options
    Leon said:

fpt for Big Rich

Yet he funded it.

Did he argue explicitly that "gain of function" research was worthwhile? Or did he argue "for this research in Wuhan".

Because my reading of his piece is the former, but you've written the latter.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

kle4 said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    3h

Unite to Remain! I'd forgotten that was a thing.
  • Options

Batley & Birstall News

Actor-turned-political activist Laurence Fox has been told he can’t hold a rally in Batley town centre.

https://www.batleynews.co.uk/news/politics/council-bans-laurence-fox-rally-in-batley-3285575

That ban will probably get him more attention that the rally would have. but probably still not many votes?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Batley & Birstall News

That ban will probably get him more attention that the rally would have. but probably still not many votes?
    The best thing is to just ignore these attention seeking people.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    3h

Nevertheless a deal that you stand down in an area demonstrates you were, rightly, considered a superfluous weak link in that area.

(I think the LDs stood down in something like 5 seats?)
    More than that, I recall, and fairly random. IOW was one, and a Green target, but also Cannock, which was a no hoper.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,178
    I know QT has a selected audience now but did they have to get Titania McGrath?
    (Uncannily similar looking woman)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

fpt for Big Rich

Yet he funded it.

Did he argue explicitly that "gain of function" research was worthwhile? Or did he argue "for this research in Wuhan".

Because my reading of his piece is the former, but you've written the latter.
    Fauci is talking about SARS type flu viruses, throughout that interrogation, and Wuhan was one of THE main BSL4 labs doing GoF SARS-type virus research - perhaps the only one? Certainly not many

And remember that Daszak personally emailed Fauci in April 2020, to thank him for "suppressing" the lab leak hypothesis

https://twitter.com/The_Justice7/status/1407263184206114819/photo/1

• Options
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

fpt for Big Rich

Yet he funded it.

Just watched the last video you shared, he comes across as tenably argent, it sounds to me as: 'I'm very clever, I know what's best for you, only I can understand the risks and I am better than you'

I don't know what happened, but I do hope this is the end of his career.
    Don't forget this video.

I, Doctor Anthony Fauci, am SCIENCE. Le Science, c'est MOI. Attacks on me are on attack on science!!!!!

Good grief

https://twitter.com/LiberalsLeaving/status/1404190829741174784?s=20
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2021
    I was very skeptical that the Tories could take B&S (but then I was also disbelieving that they would take 'Pool)

But, the flare-up in Israel/Palestine came at a perfect time for GG to exploit it. Now, I would not be at all surprised to see Labour lose it because of GG.

But the point is: B&S was a completely unnecessary by-election.

SKS may be forensic. But, he is just useless at politics, which needs a certain grubby street wisdom.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

I was very skeptical that the Tories would take B&S (but then I was also disbelieving that they would take 'Pool)

But, the flare-up in Israel/Palestine came at a perfect time for GG to exploit it. Now, I would not be at all surprised to see Labour lose it because of GG.

SKS may be forensic. But, he is just useless at politics, which needs a certain grubby street wisdom.

The Jewish Chronicle reports that Muslims in B&S are boycotting Labour because

Labour’s position on Palestine
    Kim Leadbetter is a lesbian
    Sir Keir’s wife is Jewish

Cultural Diversity is to be applauded I suppose?

• Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

I was very skeptical that the Tories would take B&S (but then I was also disbelieving that they would take 'Pool)

If this is true, how does Starmer (or any Labour leader) hope to keep together the coalition of current voters?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

I agree with Dr Palmer, chest pain is 999.
    Happened to a friend of mine last week. The paramedics found him in ten mins in a lay-by through his mobile phone and bizarrely gave him an aspirin before taking him to hospital.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer is calling on Boris Johnson to scrap his plans for a “vanity yacht” and instead spend the money on tackling antisocial behaviour.

Pledging to make Labour “the party of law and order”, Starmer highlighted the blight of antisocial behaviour, such as off-road bikes and high-powered cars being raced through residential neighbourhoods.

“As chief prosecutor, I saw far too many examples of crimes perceived as ‘low-level’ not being tackled quickly enough before they escalate,” the Labour leader said. “People can end up afraid in their own homes, or scared to go out at night.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/24/keir-starmer-tells-pm-to-ditch-yacht-and-tackle-antisocial-behaviour

Sounds like the Blair and Cameron playbook.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Gosh I wonder why he brought up BJP ........
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Con hold in Swindon.
  • Options
    isam said:

The inevitable endpoint of Wokeness and multi-kulti and CRT is people voting almost entirely on their race and identity, as that is all that ‘matters’

So Muslims will abandon Labour for a Gallowayish Muslim Party

And, in the end, many white people will vote for white pride and a White Party. It is already happening in the USA. We hurtle towards tragedy
  • Options
    Colombia reports 32,997 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record, and 689 new deaths

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1408184464723808258?s=20
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

Keir Starmer is calling on Boris Johnson to scrap his plans for a “vanity yacht” and instead spend the money on tackling antisocial behaviour.

On the subject of yachting, they should bring back Howards’ Way.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

The inevitable endpoint of Wokeness and multi-kulti and CRT is people voting almost entirely on their race and identity, as that is all that ‘matters’

And, in the end, many white people will vote for white pride and a White Party. It is already happening in the USA. We hurtle towards tragedy
    Don't forget the BLM party.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

isam said:

Yes I think that is exactly what will happen. If/when Muslims stop voting for Labour, an Islamic party will step into the vacuum. In 20 years or so they will probably be one of the big three parties and dominate inner cities

Watching ‘The Road to Partition’ the other night it struck me again that Muslims could well end up getting a part of the country the way Protestants got Northern Ireland, in 50-100 years time
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Pledging to make Labour “the party of law and order”, Starmer highlighted the blight of antisocial behaviour, such as off-road bikes and high-powered cars being raced through residential neighbourhoods.

“As chief prosecutor, I saw far too many examples of crimes perceived as ‘low-level’ not being tackled quickly enough before they escalate,” the Labour leader said. “People can end up afraid in their own homes, or scared to go out at night.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/24/keir-starmer-tells-pm-to-ditch-yacht-and-tackle-antisocial-behaviour

Sounds more like he's read a page from it, but unfortunately is missing most of the rest of the book.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,426

Spend money on Good Thing by cutting Bad Thing.

It's as old as the hills, it's not dignified, and it may not work, but you have to admit, the boy Starmer is learning.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Yes I think that is exactly what will happen. If/when Muslims stop voting for Labour, an Islamic party will step into the vacuum. In 20 years or so they will probably be one of the big three parties and dominate inner cities

Watching ‘The Road to Partition’ the other night it struck me again that Muslims could well end up getting a part of the country the way Protestants got Northern Ireland, in 50-100 years time
    Do we think they will have much time for LGTB+ issues?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

From the Owen Jones vox pox in B&S (he isn't anywhere near as good at it as John Harris), it certainly felt like a "Muslim Party" could be very popular. Lots of stories of Labour ever since I have been able to vote in the UK, but Labour doesn't represent us, our values, our way of life, they don't stand for our community. Palestine is obviously one issue, but at least from the Owen Jones talking to man on the street it did sound like they didn't think any of the major parties see things the way they do.

The question is, is that just a small minority, or a wider held view. And if it is, how do any of the major parties change their perception, can they change it?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

I think that completely daft. Such a "Muslim Party" would have a similar tiny bigoted minority vote as a "White people's party".

That is why the Respect party failed, even in more divisive times like the Iraq and Afghan wars.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

It's as old as the hills, it's not dignified, and it may not work, but you have to admit, the boy Starmer is learning.
    Not so good on the numbers though.... In an Ipswich bingo hall today...8 and zero...88....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRBEQyfo4E&
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Leon said:

isam said:

This short clip from Glenn Loury sums up how counterproductive it is to promote white racial identity.

https://twitter.com/glennloury/status/1405165872096886787
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    Just catching up with this.
    May I add to the best wishes for @DavidL.
    All the best.
  • Options
    meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

Politico.com - Wine, watermarks and a farmer’s nudge: How the infrastructure deal got done
    The Senate’s centrist core is suddenly on a hot streak, winning White House buy-in for its nearly $1 trillion bipartisan plan.

". . .The Senate’s centrist core is suddenly on a hot streak, pushing forward the largest infrastructure proposal in U.S. history after helping clinch a $900 billion coronavirus package late last year. There’s still a chance their work goes down, but Thursday’s Biden endorsement set them apart from the failed array of congressional gangs that have tried in vain to make ambitious aisle-crossing laws." . . .

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/24/how-the-infrastructure-deal-got-done-496121

Off Topic - best wishes to DavidL!
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Not so good on the numbers though.... In an Ipswich bingo hall today...8 and zero...88....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbRBEQyfo4E&
    Imagine Diane Abbott had done that

‘3 fat ladies…’
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,373
    edited June 2021
    Deleted -- too subtle for this time of night.
  • Options
    LD hold in West Somerset.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Well, 4.4% of the UK population is Muslim, so that probably is your ceiling for vote share.

Fortunately, there is a list of Muslim share of population by seat, and there are only three constituencies where they more than 40% of the vote - Birmingham Hodge Hill, Bradford West and Birmingham Hall Green.

So, I'm not sure they can make it up to SNP levels of support. Or even LibDem or Green.
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

This short clip from Glenn Loury sums up how counterproductive it is to promote white racial identity.

https://twitter.com/glennloury/status/1405165872096886787
    That’s probably why surveys find BLM makes things worse rather than better.
  • Options
    Sesame Street casting call for a new Cookie Monster?

https://www.batleynews.co.uk/webimg/QVNIMTIxMTc4OTA2.jpg?&width=640
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,603
    LD hold in Somerset.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Well, 4.4% of the UK population is Muslim, so that probably is your ceiling for vote share.

Fortunately, there is a list of Muslim share of population by seat, and there are only three constituencies where they more than 40% of the vote - Birmingham Hodge Hill, Bradford West and Birmingham Hall Green.

So, I'm not sure they can make it up to SNP levels of support. Or even LibDem or Green.
    Well it was 4.4% a decade ago.
    What was it a decade before that?
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Dem Muslamics all think alike don't they, no possibility that they might vote intelligently...🙄

C'mon @isam, you are not as dumb as that.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Well, we'll find out soon, but immigration from Pakistan and Bangladesh was fairly muted in the 2010s - bringing spouses and other family members (as @Sandpit can attest) is increasingly tough - so I'm not sure it'll have moved that much.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,603
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

The only caveat is that those figures are slightly more than 10 years out of date.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Well, we'll find out soon, but immigration from Pakistan and Bangladesh was fairly muted in the 2010s - bringing spouses and other family members (as @Sandpit can attest) is increasingly tough - so I'm not sure it'll have moved that much.
    2001 was 2.7%

What’s your spread on the 2021 Census Muslim %?
  • Options
    New York 1 - Rudy Giuliani suspended from practicing law in New York

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2021/06/24/rudy-giuliani-suspended-from-practicing-law-in-new-york

A New York appellate court Thursday barred Rudy Giuliani, the former New York City mayor and personal lawyer to former President Donald Trump, from practicing law in New York because he made false claims about the 2020 election.

The state’s bar association first said in January that it would consider pushing for Giuliani to be disbarred after his statements helped fuel the violent mob that invaded the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 with the aim of overturning the presidential election.

Giuliani called for a “trial by combat” that day, drawing rebuke from prominent lawyers who filed complaints with the state Supreme Court's Attorney Grievance Committee, who accused Giuliani of playing a “role in fomenting a violent insurrectionist attack” on the Capitol.

Lawyers for Giuliani criticized the decision. . . .

Trump, repeating false claims about the election, issued a statement defending Giuliani.

"Can you believe that New York wants to strip Rudy Giuliani, a great American Patriot, of his law license because he has been fighting what has already been proven to be a Fraudulent Election? The greatest Mayor in the history of New York City, the Eliot Ness of his generation, one of the greatest crime fighters our Country has ever known, and this is what the Radical Left does to him," Trump said in a statement. "All of New York is out of control, crime is at an all-time high-it's nothing but a Witch Hunt, and they should be ashamed of themselves. TAKE BACK AMERICA!"

The panel of judges wrote in its decision that “there is uncontroverted evidence that respondent communicated demonstrably false and misleading statements to courts, lawmakers and the public at large” in defending Trump’s false claim that he won the 2020 election.

The panel said that Giuliani’s conduct “immediately threatens the public interest.”

The panel cited state rules of conduct for attorneys that bar lying to tribunals of judges and require that lawyers not “engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation.”

The decision rejected Giuliani’s arguments that his statements were protected by constitutional guarantees of free speech, and his suggestion that he did not know his statements about the election were false when he made them. . . .

“Respondent argues that there was no misconduct because he truthfully told the court that day that there were no fraud claims,” the judges wrote. “This defense rings hollow.” . . .
    Giuliani has denied wrongdoing, and has remained a fixture of conservative media. He made an appearance Tuesday evening at the victory party for Curtis Sliwa, the projected Republican nominee in this year’s mayoral race.

Giuliani has 20 days to request a hearing on the suspension.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    UK now overtaken Israel on first doses and no sign the UK have run out of people who want to be jabbed.

Do we think Israel is going to be able to get many more people vaccinated or have they now hit their ceiling?
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

2001 was 2.7%

I'll sell at 4.9% if you like.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    According to ONS FOI request in 2018, they said it was now 5.2% in the UK.

Woophs, looks like I have ruined a bet.
  • Options

In which case, I'll be losing money selling at 4.9% :blush:

But I'm a bit surprised. The non-EU born % of the UK has only increased by 0.9% in the last decade from 8.1% to 9.0%. Even if you assume that half of these are Muslim, that would only add 0.45%.

Now, birth rates are probably higher in those communities, but even if you assume 4 children per mother, that can't possibly add more than 0.2%.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

2001 was 2.7%

I'll sell at 4.9% if you like.
    Ok how much?
  • Options
    Plaid gain in Harlech.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

It worked on the Bus.
  • Options
    Con hold in Rugby
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    slade said:

Con hold in Rugby

Infringement in the scrum?
  • Options
    LD gain in Chichester.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @isam:

Here's the latest data from 2019:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/religion/adhocs/10999religionbysexandagegroupingreatbritain2018to2019

On these numbers, there are 1,565,485 Muslims in England out of a population 56 million - which works out as under 3%.

Edit to add.

OK. IGNORE THAT ANALYSIS!
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Woophs, looks like I have ruined a bet.

The ONS published number from 2019 has under 3% for England - see the link above.
    IGNORE THIS
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@isam:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/religion/adhocs/10999religionbysexandagegroupingreatbritain2018to2019

On these numbers, there are 1,565,485 Muslims in England out of a population 56 million - which works out as under 3%.

If you want to sell at 4.9% on the 2021 census I will buy, what size?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

@isam:

That's more than half the ONS from the previous year.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/muslimpopulationintheuk/

1.5 million doesn't sound right at all. It was 2.5 million in 2011 census. It doesn't seem likely that it has gone down by 1 million in the 8 years between the 2011 and that 1.5 ONS figure.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cyclefree said:

What has happened to @DavidL?

Whatever it is, I hope he gets the care he needs and gets better soon.

Xx

He complained of suffering chest pains and feeling hot. He said he had phoned 111 and they said somebody would get back to him. Dr Foxy (and others less medically qualified) said don't mess about with that, get to A&E straight away.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@isam:

That'll be because I can't add up.

I divided the number of Muslim women by the total English population.

OK.

Trying again.

There are 3.36m Muslims in Great Britain in 2019 on the ONS data, out of a population of 63.8m, giving a total percentage of 5.2%. UK numbers will be slightly lower, of course, because there are fewer Muslims in Northern Ireland, but I doubt it'll change the numbers more than a fraction.

You can do the maths yourself from the spreadsheet.

So, no, I won't sell at 4.9%.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@isam:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/muslimpopulationintheuk/

1.5 million doesn't sound right at all. It was 2.5 million in 2011 census. It doesn't seem likely that it has gone down by 1 million in the 8 years between the 2011 and that 1.5 ONS figure.
    That's because I can't add up, and only included the women.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

@isam:

It’s 3.2m on there I think Robert only counted the males. Works out about 6%
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam:

I was going to say.....I know Brexit is like well racist and the Tories are all a bunch of Islamophobes, but I highly doubt half the Muslim population of the UK upped and left.

I wouldn't be surprised in the census if it a reasonable amount north of 3.5m now.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam:

I was going to say.....I know Brexit is like well racist and the Tories are all a bunch of Islamophobes, but I highly doubt half the Muslim population of the UK upped and left.

I wouldn't be surprised in the census if it a reasonable amount north of 3.5m now.
    Pushing 7% I’d say

Look at the total Christian to Muslim split and compare with the under 16 split

Something like 89-11 and 81-19
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,373
    In a very thin market, Galloway has drifted from 20 to 24 in the last couple of minutes, possibly as a result of the spreadsheet calculations on this thread!
  • Options
    edited June 2021

In a very thin market, Galloway has drifted from 20 to 24 in the last couple of minutes, possibly as a result of the spreadsheet calculations on this thread!

Only problem being those spreadsheet calculation were about as accurate as the PHE testing ones when they get a massive batch of tests in a day....
This discussion has been closed.