Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

City Am reporting that internal LD polling has the party 4% behind in Chesham and Amersham – politic

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,159
    Thank goodness that we've unshackled ourselves from the corrupt and undemocratic EU.

• Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    If the LDs win and the Tories were to win the other it would be very bad for Starmer?
  • Options

isam said:

It would probably do the country, and the government, a favour if the Lib Dem’s won this by election, as in don’t think it’s healthy for the Boris & the Tories for them to keep winning everything so easily

That is a line that I'm told is resonating with Tory voters in C&A
    Good old C&A. I miss their safe but interesting shirts.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551

Which may explain some of the (negative) reactions to it:

NEW: (paywall) UK-Australia trade deal could complicate post-Brexit solution in Northern Ireland, officials fear

https://twitter.com/Annaisaac/status/1404805761742561288?s=20

In other words, it takes dynamic alignment perpetual rule-taking on SPS off the table....

I think the negative reactions come from people who just realise that it would take 2000 such deals to replace the loss of trade pursuant to Brexit.

Some trade analysts are also claiming that the deal look very weighted in Australia’s favour.
    Ed Conway of Sky News pointed out last night that Australia has made significant concessions on migration.

There will effectively be free movement for under 35s, up to a total of three years, with unrestricted working and residency rights.
    But I thought we only wanted trade deals, none of that political FOM shite.
    If you can point to the overarching political body like the EU that effectively runs the relationship..
    FOM between countries of broadly comparable culture and economic performance has never been controversial for most people. Politicians can't say this I suppose because of Guardianistas playing the race card but it is still true, and is bound be relevant to how policy develops.

Somehow I can't see Farage and friends running elections standing in front of pictures of long lines of NZ and Aussie actuaries, surfers and entrepreneurs passing through Heathrow on their way to the UK.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    moonshine said:

June 16 (Reuters) - Britain is in talks with six companies for building gigafactories to produce electric vehicle batteries, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing people briefed on the discussions.

Ford Motor Co (F.N), Nissan Motor Co Ltd (7201.T), LG Corp (003550.KS), Samsung (005930.KS) and start-ups Britishvolt and InoBat Auto are in talks with the British government or local authorities about locations for potential factories and financial support, according to the report.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-talks-with-6-firms-about-building-gigafactories-ev-batteries-ft-2021-06-16/

It’s amusing how the word Gigafactory has entered popular parlance, a portmanteau dreamed up by Musk when he was in maximum hype phase for equity raising purposes.
    It's not quite as original as it might seem, the term gigafab was already in use before gigafactory. Musk was likely inspired by that.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

This might just alter the running order this weekend ?

F1 teams face new cold pressure tyre checks from French GP
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-new-cold-pressure-tyre-checks-at-french-gp/6572403/

Whether Red Bull have been bending the tyre pressure rules more than have Mercedes is an interesting question.
    It's not insignificant, as optimising tyres is the single biggest differentiator of performance, race to race.

Sounds like the teams have been doing something funky with the tyres - rumours of filling them with various unapproved gases and carefully timing heating and cooling so they measure as being of being legal pressure, while in practice being well below the pressure limit on the track. Give them an inch...
    My wife couldn't believe that Red Bull had been "cheating" in Baku. She couldn't accept my argument that everything not explicitly outlawed in the rulebook is fair game.
    Don’t tell her about Ferrari allegedly pulsing the fuel pump in time with the fuel flow meter, to make the meter under-read the actual volume of fuel going past it. Nor the ‘bendy’ rear wings, nor hundreds of similar acts of gamesmanship over the years.

Put a bunch of engineers in a room with a rule book, and they’ll find a way to make something that looks like it complies with the letter of the law, but not close to the spirit of it.

It’s why Ross Brawn at FOM hired a bunch of senior ex-F1 engineers, to write the new 2022 technical regulations, trying to find and close as many loopholes as possible before letting the teams develop their cars.

No-one thought of the Mercedes DAS system, until they saw it on their car last year!
    Oh I know - I think the issue is that she is a Town Planner so works on the basis that there are a set of rules that need to be complied with.

I meanwhile design computer systems so end up trying to work out how to get square pegs into very fixed round holes.
    Yes, very different mindsets, Mrs Eek would be no good at designing a prototype racing car! She can work in a spec series, where all the cars are the same and no interpretation of technical rules is allowed. :)
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

isam said:

isam said:

It would probably do the country, and the government, a favour if the Lib Dem’s won this by election, as in don’t think it’s healthy for the Boris & the Tories for them to keep winning everything so easily

That is a line that I'm told is resonating with Tory voters in C&A
    Yes, understandable I’d say.
    If I was a C&A voter I'd spoil my ballot this week rather than vote Tory.

If the Lib Dems were campaigning on liberalism instead of NIMBYism I'd vote for them this week.
    Spoiled ballots won’t change policy, only lost seats.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,652
    edited June 2021
    Emails reveal Trump pressured top DOJ officials to overturn election results

https://www.axios.com/trump-doj-election-fraud-emails-a0308dfc-1f3b-4b9f-9142-75b7fe637f4e.html
    Between December 2020 and early January, former President Trump and his allies repeatedly pressed senior Justice Department officials to investigate baseless conspiracy theories and challenge the results of the 2020 election, according to documents released by the House Oversight Committee.

Why it matters: The documents reveal new details about the extent to which Trump and his aides — including White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows — were willing to go to maintain power and advance the lie that the election was stolen.

Details: The documents show that on Dec. 14, the day that the Electoral College met to certify results in all 50 states, Trump's assistant sent then-Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen materials and "talking points" about debunked election fraud claims in Michigan.

40 minutes after the email was sent, Trump announced that Attorney General Bill Barr — who disputed false election claims — would step down and be replaced by Rosen.
    Richard Donoghue, then a senior DOJ official, sent the same documents to the U.S. attorneys for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan. His promotion to Acting Deputy Attorney General was announced shortly thereafter.
    On Dec. 29, Trump sent Rosen, Donoghue, and Acting Solicitor General Jeffrey Wall a 54-page legal brief demanding that the Supreme Court “declare that the Electoral College votes cast” in six states Trump lost “cannot be counted,” and that a “special election” must be held in each one.

The president's private attorney Kurt Olsen then contacted senior DOJ officials on Trump's behalf, urging them to file a complaint.
    Trump pressured Rosen and then-Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark to challenge election results during meetings on Dec. 31, 2020, and Jan. 3, 2021, according to emails.
    Byung Pak, then-U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia, resigned on Jan. 3 following pressure from the administration, which was pushing videos alleging fraudulent votes in Fulton County...

A handful more Trump appointees in the right places, and it might have worked.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,018
    Frost explaining to the committee exactly how he fucked everything up...

"We knew exactly what we were doing at all times and understood every aspect of the talks"

So what's the problem?

"The result doesn't match our intent..."
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Likely just too big a gap from the GE to make up I think though. What's not normal is for the main opposition party to be going backwards in by-elections.
    Starmer's ratings underwater with the muslim vote ! Probably does for him in Batley.
    I’ll probably be corrected, but it seems to me that, on the whole, Muslims and Jews have never really got on, and the rising levels of islamophobia & anti- semitism are nothing more than there being more opportunities for them to clash in England than there used to be. We never really saw it this close up before

The worry for me is that if Labour lose the Muslim vote in the inner cities, an Islamic party will step into the vacuum - that would be a disastrous outcome
    George Galloway is probably going to get enough votes in B&S, to hand the seat to the Tories.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,332
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Likely just too big a gap from the GE to make up I think though. What's not normal is for the main opposition party to be going backwards in by-elections.
    Starmer's ratings underwater with the muslim vote ! Probably does for him in Batley.
    I’ll probably be corrected, but it seems to me that, on the whole, Muslims and Jews have never really got on, and the rising levels of islamophobia & anti- semitism are nothing more than there being more opportunities for them to clash in England than there used to be. We never really saw it this close up before

The worry for me is that if Labour lose the Muslim vote in the inner cities, an Islamic party will step into the vacuum - that would be a disastrous outcome
    I don't think all islamophobes are jewish or all anti-semites are muslim.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

NEW: (paywall) UK-Australia trade deal could complicate post-Brexit solution in Northern Ireland, officials fear

In other words, it takes dynamic alignment perpetual rule-taking on SPS off the table....

I think the negative reactions come from people who just realise that it would take 2000 such deals to replace the loss of trade pursuant to Brexit.

Some trade analysts are also claiming that the deal look very weighted in Australia’s favour.
    Ed Conway of Sky News pointed out last night that Australia has made significant concessions on migration.

There will effectively be free movement for under 35s, up to a total of three years, with unrestricted working and residency rights.
    Free movement to Aus could see quite a few young people give it a go, and even if planning only to stay 'for a while' ending up staying there.
    Like my brother - "for 18 months" - over a quarter of a century ago. There's a reason the British diaspora is as large in Australia alone as the whole of the EU.....
    A lot of people do a few years then return. I agree though that the appeal of Australia is far wider than EU countries due mainly to language issues.
    What an indictment of education in this country that we'd prefer a monoculture than one with 28 countries speaking 24 languages.

Lets all move to Stoke-on-Trent
    But I already have free movement with Stoke on Trent. Nothing to stop me taking a job there, should I want to.

But if I wanted to take a job abroad - without taking into account where I was allowed to go - my order of preference would probably be something like:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

I know you've lived abroad, and I admire your ability to function in an environment outside of your mother tongue. But I don't think I could. And I know relatively few people who could. I'm perfectly well educated, and my brain works well in most respects - I can retain facts, write code, solve equations - but foreign languages have just defeated me.
    You need a level of competence at a language equivalent to at least A level to function abroad. Imagine if you could only move abroad if you were competent at A level maths. That would exclude a lot of people from those opportunities. But that's the sort of barrier which exists to moving to a non-Anglophone country.
    I take no perverse pride in my inability with languages. It wasn't for want of effort at school (either by me or my teachers). It's just an area in which I failed to excel.

I have never understood the love people have for New Zealand
    I don't understand it either to be honest. It's an emotional thing, not a rational thing. I've never even been to the southern hemisphere. In most respects I'm perfectly happy being British. But I have an irrational yearning not just to go there but to actually BE a New Zealander. Images of the MacKenzie Country stir my soul with a feeling of hiraeth for my gwlad in the same way - far more rationally, being firmly rooted in the North of England - that images of the Lake District or the Pennines do. I support New Zealand teams when they're playing sports (not over England/GB, but in all seriousness only just not). The Christchurch earthquake bothered me as much as if it happened in Christchurch, Hampshire* People tell me its boring but it's hard to see how I could get bored with a country with that much outdoors. Skiing in the morning, surfing in the afternoon, and so on.
    I understand the pubs aren't as good, though. And I'm no particular fan of Jacinda.

This is very much an emotional rather than a rational reaction. As I say, I've never been; I have no antecedents from there, and know no-one who lives there. I'm, rationally, sure it has its problems and its drawbacks. I think it just strikes me as an idealised country. Which I guess is why it was chosen as the filmic location for the Shire, which is itself an idealised England.

*/Dorset, depending on taste.
  • Options
    glw said:

moonshine said:

June 16 (Reuters) - Britain is in talks with six companies for building gigafactories to produce electric vehicle batteries, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing people briefed on the discussions.

Ford Motor Co (F.N), Nissan Motor Co Ltd (7201.T), LG Corp (003550.KS), Samsung (005930.KS) and start-ups Britishvolt and InoBat Auto are in talks with the British government or local authorities about locations for potential factories and financial support, according to the report.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-talks-with-6-firms-about-building-gigafactories-ev-batteries-ft-2021-06-16/

It’s amusing how the word Gigafactory has entered popular parlance, a portmanteau dreamed up by Musk when he was in maximum hype phase for equity raising purposes.
    It's not quite as original as it might seem, the term gigafab was already in use before gigafactory. Musk was likely inspired by that.
    Gotcha. Will be interesting to see if Musk decides to build one of them too. It’s been rumoured.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    edited June 2021
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-new-cold-pressure-tyre-checks-at-french-gp/6572403/

Whether Red Bull have been bending the tyre pressure rules more than have Mercedes is an interesting question.
    It's not insignificant, as optimising tyres is the single biggest differentiator of performance, race to race.

Sounds like the teams have been doing something funky with the tyres - rumours of filling them with various unapproved gases and carefully timing heating and cooling so they measure as being of being legal pressure, while in practice being well below the pressure limit on the track. Give them an inch...
    My wife couldn't believe that Red Bull had been "cheating" in Baku. She couldn't accept my argument that everything not explicitly outlawed in the rulebook is fair game.
    Don’t tell her about Ferrari allegedly pulsing the fuel pump in time with the fuel flow meter, to make the meter under-read the actual volume of fuel going past it. Nor the ‘bendy’ rear wings, nor hundreds of similar acts of gamesmanship over the years.

Put a bunch of engineers in a room with a rule book, and they’ll find a way to make something that looks like it complies with the letter of the law, but not close to the spirit of it.

It’s why Ross Brawn at FOM hired a bunch of senior ex-F1 engineers, to write the new 2022 technical regulations, trying to find and close as many loopholes as possible before letting the teams develop their cars.

No-one thought of the Mercedes DAS system, until they saw it on their car last year!
    Oh I know - I think the issue is that she is a Town Planner so works on the basis that there are a set of rules that need to be complied with.

I meanwhile design computer systems so end up trying to work out how to get square pegs into very fixed round holes.
    I Lolled slightly at that.

IME Town Planners (assuming we are on MRTPIs) are the Alias Smith & Jones of the Planning Profession; the people you send in with a Planning Application if you want to be within the rules whilst actually bending them to breaking point, whilst scaring the Council at the same time.

"They never killed anyone (but still got away with the loot)".

There may of course be Town Planners who are herbivores.
  • Options

England v India Test about to start. Seems like England have decided to bat first, before the remaining life drains out of the used pitch. I hope they put on a better show of things than Root's lot.

Ooh, thanks for the memory jog. I’m WFH today, so can watch England get skittled for 100 before lunch.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

Free movement to Aus could see quite a few young people give it a go, and even if planning only to stay 'for a while' ending up staying there.
    Like my brother - "for 18 months" - over a quarter of a century ago. There's a reason the British diaspora is as large in Australia alone as the whole of the EU.....
    A lot of people do a few years then return. I agree though that the appeal of Australia is far wider than EU countries due mainly to language issues.
    What an indictment of education in this country that we'd prefer a monoculture than one with 28 countries speaking 24 languages.

But I already have free movement with Stoke on Trent. Nothing to stop me taking a job there, should I want to.

But if I wanted to take a job abroad - without taking into account where I was allowed to go - my order of preference would probably be something like:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

I know you've lived abroad, and I admire your ability to function in an environment outside of your mother tongue. But I don't think I could. And I know relatively few people who could. I'm perfectly well educated, and my brain works well in most respects - I can retain facts, write code, solve equations - but foreign languages have just defeated me.
    You need a level of competence at a language equivalent to at least A level to function abroad. Imagine if you could only move abroad if you were competent at A level maths. That would exclude a lot of people from those opportunities. But that's the sort of barrier which exists to moving to a non-Anglophone country.
    I take no perverse pride in my inability with languages. It wasn't for want of effort at school (either by me or my teachers). It's just an area in which I failed to excel.

It looks bloody marvellous on film, but it's so far away that most people have never been there, and so can project onto it what they like. It's easy to imagine that it's all the good bits about Britain and Australia, with none of the bad bits.
    That's probably the same point as I was making, using myself as an example, only much more succinctly put!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,013

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    There are one or two NZ-bashers on here; @Anabobazina is the other one.
    As I've said before, I like the country – it has beautiful landscapes and I had a very enjoyable holiday there. But I couldn't live there. It's dull culturally, socially and gastronomically. A mate who moved there from England said lockdown in NZ was almost indistinguishable from Not Lockdown, as there are no pubs he'd ever want to visit anyway. Many if not most towns, even those of 100,000+ inhabitants, have no good restaurants or pubs. It made touring the country extremely frustrating. Public transport is nonexistent. There are very few theatres or clubs outside Auckland.
  • Options
    MattW said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I Lolled slightly at that.

IME Town Planners (assuming we are on MRTPIs) are the Alias Smith & Jones of the Planning Profession; the people you send in with a Planning Application if you want to be within the rules whilst actually bending them to breaking point, whilst scaring the Council at the same time.

"They never killed anyone (but still got away with the loot)".

There may of course be Town Planners who are herbivores.
    The herbivores tend to work for the council.
    *cough, Cookie, MRTPI*
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

Very sad.

We used to have a very active officer exchange program with both Australia and New Zealand. However both countries, but NZ in particular, were cynically asset stripping the exchangees by offering the good ones fast track citizenship and a lateral transfer to the ADF/NZDF. As we never send duffers on exchange very few of them ever came back due to the superior pay and terms of service on offer. The program has been trimmed back to almost nothing now.

Most exchanges are now with the US who never offer citizenship/lateral transfer in any circumstances.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, very different mindsets, Mrs Eek would be no good at designing a prototype racing car! She can work in a spec series, where all the cars are the same and no interpretation of technical rules is allowed. :)
    My Town Planner would come up with a precedent from 19xx that meant that the desired system was legal now and there is therefore nothing that can be done to stop it.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,402
    Trade deals. Trigger warning for arch-Remainers:

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1405088529445687300?s=20
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551

Thank goodness that we've unshackled ourselves from the corrupt and undemocratic EU.

I think you are slightly missing the point that Saudi Arabia has no law making powers binding on our parliament.

And yes, we have all sorts of relationships with disgusting regimes.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

darkage said:

Why did you choose Stoke-on-Trent? Looks like a punch-line from a second-rate middle class stand-up.
    Brexit Central (Hartlepool's overused)
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Very sad.

We used to have a very active officer exchange program with both Australia and New Zealand. However both countries, but NZ in particular, were cynically asset stripping the exchangees by offering the good ones fast track citizenship and a lateral transfer to the ADF/NZDF. As we never send duffers on exchange very few of them ever came back due to the superior pay and terms of service on offer. The program has been trimmed back to almost nothing now.

Most exchanges are now with the US who never offer citizenship/lateral transfer in any circumstances.
    I wonder what they are flying in NZ these days.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Dura_Ace said:

Very sad.

I wonder what they are flying in NZ these days.
    Gliders? The mountains are awesome!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857

I’m an arch-Remainer, but I welcome as many (quality) trade deals as possible.

Sorry, not “triggered” (is that your intent - to trigger people?) except by the GB News logo and Liz Truss’s smug gob.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    Im not a NZ basher I just didn't find it that great. There is fabulous scenery there, but there is also fabulous scenery in the UK. The pubs are rubbish, the restaurants lack choice, food is very expensive, and its 4 hours from anywhere.

My wife is from NZ, she came here in 1995, we have only been to NZ once. She loves it here and has no desire to ever go back to NZ again. Her parents have also left NZ and live in Brisbane and her brother has moved to Sydney.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

That's an interesting post but to me it misses the things I love about being joined to 28 counries with different cultures and languages (of which I speak hardly any). The trivial things you don't have to think about. The labelling and standards are the same. For the most part so is the currency. You can move about completely unimpaied by passports or anything else and you know the water wont poison you. But what you get are cafe's in France being served by Italians Spanish Poles French etc. You can jump in a train in Nice and be in Barcelona or Amsterdam without hassle.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    As I've said before, I like the country – it has beautiful landscapes and I had a very enjoyable holiday there. But I couldn't live there. It's dull culturally, socially and gastronomically. A mate who moved there from England said lockdown in NZ was almost indistinguishable from Not Lockdown, as there are no pubs he'd ever want to visit anyway. Many if not most towns, even those of 100,000+ inhabitants, have no good restaurants or pubs. It made touring the country extremely frustrating. Public transport is nonexistent. There are very few theatres or clubs outside Auckland.
    Hmmm.

I partly agree; the pubs are “gash”, and the primarily suburban development means there are few opportunities to get enjoy yourself in a pub anyway, unless you want to drive home drunk.

And, if you are going to NZ for the Shakespeare you are definitely in the wrong place. The visual arts scene is interesting though, and the music scene can be.

People are insanely friendly.
    The food is generally fresh and good quality, but cannot compete with London for choice, or at the top end.

But you are going to eat better in Wgtn, ChCh and Ddn than Bham, Leeds, or Liverpool.

We also basically invented the cafe culture which various rancid PBers love to rant about (identifying the flat white as an accursed affection of the metropolitan elite).

The landscape, and the beaches, are incomparable.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

Euro 2020 has been a great tournament so far. Doesn’t really support the “bloated” theory by @Foxy and others who dismissed the 24 team format before it had even started.

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Glorious scenery, friendly people, decent food, rugby mad and generally sporty. Decent sized houses, usually detatched with decent garden. Great beaches, mountains, fjords.

Downside - its a bit remote. It used to be described as 20-30 years behind the rest of the world, but less so now I think.

Lastly - I assume you've been?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    Im not a NZ basher I just didn't find it that great. There is fabulous scenery there, but there is also fabulous scenery in the UK. The pubs are rubbish, the restaurants lack choice, food is very expensive, and its 4 hours from anywhere.

My wife is from NZ, she came here in 1995, we have only been to NZ once. She loves it here and has no desire to ever go back to NZ again. Her parents have also left NZ and live in Brisbane and her brother has moved to Sydney.
    I have been in touch with the NZ High Commissioner (Murray), and he has had your wife’s passport revoked.

Sorry.
  • Options

I’m an arch-Remainer, but I welcome as many (quality) trade deals as possible.

Sorry, not “triggered” (is that your intent - to trigger people?) except by the GB News logo and Liz Truss’s smug gob.
    Very arch.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited June 2021

Hmmm.

I partly agree; the pubs are “gash”, and the primarily suburban development means there are few opportunities to get enjoy yourself in a pub anyway, unless you want to drive home drunk.

And, if you are going to NZ for the Shakespeare you are definitely in the wrong place. The visual arts scene is interesting though, and the music scene can be.

The food is generally fresh and good quality, but cannot compete with London for choice, or at the top end.

But you are going to eat better in Wgtn, ChCh and Ddn than Bham, Leeds, or Liverpool.

We also basically invented the cafe culture which various rancid PBers love to rant about (identifying the flat white as an accursed affection of the metropolitan elite).

I have an Aussie mate who would disagree with the cafe culture lol. I heard NZ tried to claim the flat white recently too lol. As if anyone believes that.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

That's an interesting post but to me it misses the things I love about being joined to 28 counries with different cultures and languages (of which I speak hardly any). The trivial things you don't have to think about. The labelling and standards are the same. For the most part so is the currency. You can move about completely unimpaied by passports or anything else and you know the water wont poison you. But what you get are cafe's in France being served by Italians Spanish Poles French etc. You can jump in a train in Nice and be in Barcelona or Amsterdam without hassle.
    Yep.

We should restore FOM with Europe, and drop Schengen in the bargain.

Europe is British as much as British is European.

Let the people free.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Hmmm.

I have an Aussie mate who would disagree with the cafe culture lol. I heard NZ tried to claim the flat white recently too lol. As if anyone believes that.
    Your mate can do one.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    I think if you are going for the pubs you are in the wrong place - much more the local hotel in small villages/towns. There were some 'proper' pubs in Auckland when i lived there, and I am sure they are still there, but there isn't a pub culture in the same way. Much more likely to socialize in peoples homes and gardens. People go for the outdoor life, the decent weather, the friendly people. I chose not to stay after a year, but I could have done. If i'd met my NZ girlfriend a few months earlier I may have been living there now.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    I think if you are going for the pubs you are in the wrong place - much more the local hotel in small villages/towns. There were some 'proper' pubs in Auckland when i lived there, and I am sure they are still there, but there isn't a pub culture in the same way. Much more likely to socialize in peoples homes and gardens. People go for the outdoor life, the decent weather, the friendly people. I chose not to stay after a year, but I could have done. If i'd met my NZ girlfriend a few months earlier I may have been living there now.
    Decent weather? The South Islands weather is very similar to the UKs
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited June 2021

Nations make hypocritical alliances with unsavoury states for their perceived gain you say? This is certainly a very new thing and Brexit related.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,001

malcolmg said:

Can Gove really be as thick as he makes out..........

Scottish MPs will be given the right to vote down English legislation in a major constitutional reform being considered by the government to rejuvenate the Union

How is that a reform? Surely they could do it already? Or did English Votes for English Laws actually happen?
    I thought it had happened but way these clowns run things who knows. Would assume it must have if Gove's master plan is to reverse it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    A cousin went a dozen or so years ago, plus wife and family. It was a bit difficult for a couple of years because he was relying on selling his house here for funds and the sale fell through while they were airborne. However, he got it sorted and they seem to have a really good life; his two boys are adults now, both with good jobs and into all sorts of sports and generally enjoying life.
    As with anywhere else, if you get out and about, are willing to take part in life, you'll be welcomed.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    Not really.

Marlborough region - in the Sth Island - is maybe the world’s largest producer of Sav Blanc.

Further south we have proper Alps for skiing.

NZ is like a mixture of U.K., Switzerland and Italy north of Rome.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Roger said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

Why did you choose Stoke-on-Trent? Looks like a punch-line from a second-rate middle class stand-up.
    Brexit Central (Hartlepool's overused)
    You should experience the area first-hand. All part of the rich cultural tapestry of the UK. Some of the area has been pummelled by the decline of industry and some parts are insular but there is much that is good and much that is interesting and quite a lot to be optimistic about. Quite a lot to be pessimistic about as well TBH.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    Well I lived in Auckland for a year and it was sub-tropical. Lovely.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    Not really.

Marlborough region - in the Sth Island - is maybe the world’s largest producer of Sav Blanc.

To be fair the West Coast of S. Island is WET.
  • Options
    Totally O/T, i have heard that an electrician who used to work with us is now working part time as a Covid vaccinator. He has no medical training at all and has just done a one day course in vaccinations. Is anyone aware of this type of thing happening?

My reason for asking is that when my daughter qualified as a nurse and started paid work in the hospital she was not allowed to give injections for months, yet this fella seems to be giving injections after a days training.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,001
    algarkirk said:

I think you are slightly missing the point that Saudi Arabia has no law making powers binding on our parliament.

And yes, we have all sorts of relationships with disgusting regimes.

Think it is you that is missing the point , though it sounds like you are happy that we are aligned with despots , murderers and ne'er do wells. It must be a Tory thing.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Roger said:

darkage said:

1) NZ
    2) Aus
    3) ROI
    4) Canada
    5) USA
    6) Rest of Europe.

Very sad.
    Not really.

I would also contend that you don’t visit NZ to visit Auckland, although the city and its especially surrounds have their charms.

I found the most expensive thing I ever bought to be the Lord of the Rings blu ray. Because every time I watched it, I booked a trip to NZ. I like to think that a long time from now, the place will have my bones.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    Oh this is going to be fun. This was always the danger for Hancock and Johnson. That their defence rested on Cummings not having copies of what they said. Which was always very unlikely to be the case.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    The Sun article says Tories concerned they could lose. All MPS ordered to go to Chesham and canvass. Seems a week too late to me but there you go. Obviously its going to be close one way or the other. Recounts?
This discussion has been closed.