Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

City Am reporting that internal LD polling has the party 4% behind in Chesham and Amersham – politic

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2021 in General
imageCity Am reporting that internal LD polling has the party 4% behind in Chesham and Amersham – politicalbetting.com

According to City AM it has seen internal LD polling from Chesham and Amersham suggesting that they are on 41% against the Tory 45% for Thursday’s by-election. We have seen this form of revelation before by the party in Richmond Park and the Brecon by-elections where the numbers they said their internal surveys had them on was in fact lower than that which they achieved in the elections.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Matthew Syed of The Times seems to have disappointed some if his followers by tweeting this

‘Catching up with @GBNEWS Andrew Neil Show. @afneil outstanding as usual. A strong programme. Technical and set issues for sure. Covid analysis impressive from @tomhfh and @DarrenGBNews. Definitely going to watch more...’

Syed the sensible arm of the Labour Party....
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,153
    Lots of wishful thinking from LDs. It's not going to happen.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Classic ITV random mid-football adbreak
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I don't see it but one can hope that the Lib Dems will win.

Defund ITV....no 4k, crap commentary / analysts....
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,099
    edited June 2021
    8th.

One fat lady.

I wonder how long it will take GBNews to get to 120k Twitter followers?

Oh - they are at 265k already.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    'Currently the LDs are on 13.5/1 with Betfair to win – a bet that looks very attractive'

Talk it in a little more and you'll be able to cash out for an even money return without having to hold on to your losing ticket to the end - hurrah!
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    So is Outraged of Amersham going to vote LibDem because they can't visit a nightclub next week?

I can't see it.
  • So is Outraged of Amersham going to vote LibDem because they can't visit a nightclub next week?

I can't see it.

No but they might not come out to vote Tory. Very low turnout I reckon.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    On topic... Oooooo. I do like the idea of Johnson getting a bloody nose. It will make no difference in Parliament of course but it might make him think for a moment before taking us all for granted so much.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286

So is Outraged of Amersham going to vote LibDem because they can't visit a nightclub next week?

I can't see it.

No but they may do in support of the LD campaign against housebuilding and HS2.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:
    Do I not get a co credit as the sole proponent of this story for months!

By the way I meant to say to Topping yesterday, anyone that uses the phrase “little green men” in a pejorative way at this point of the game, marks themselves out as being at best intellectually incurious. If I’m polite about it. And in any case, if you’ve paid attention since as far back as Mulder and Scully, it should be “little grey men”.
    You were first! You switched me on to this

As it happens my explanation has switched back to a mixture of hyperbole, pilot error - and elaborate
    US psy-ops exploiting the same, but that is still a huge story - esp given the scale of the establishment reaction. Anyone who dismisses this as a ‘normal’ UFO flap really isn’t paying attention

And I do not rule out other conclusions
    The cross party, multi administration psyops conspiracy theory is too far fetched for me. The only non-“exotic” explanation that makes even remote sense, is that mundane misinterpreted observations have captured the imagination of a hardcore of the US security state and it’s taken on a life of its own with each retelling. Secret US tech and foreign tech make no sense at all to me.

But to be honest this looks less likely than the simple conclusion that there is non human technology on earth / in its atmosphere (which has probably been here a long time, probably predating us). There really is no reason why this should be considered a fantastical explanation, it’s the most simple and logical explanation of the wealth of public evidence. And of course the multiple statements by various individuals with past or present top classification security status.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,288
    Andy_JS said:

I can't see it.

No but they may do in support of the LD campaign against housebuilding and HS2.
    Their candidate is against LD stated policy..
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    So the LDs are liars and the author of the threader is quite happy with that?
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

First. Like Liberals in C&A hopefully.

It would be nice to see the Government take a good kicking for a change but I don't think it's going to happen. The yellows are going to need to completely fillet both the Labour and Green votes, and win over substantial numbers of Tory switchers. Insofar as I can see they've nothing to offer except Nimbyism about HS2 (which the Greens will do with more enthusiasm,) set against which the Tories have a solid core vote that's very far from tired of the Government and ready to protest and to splinter. Again, it's 2021 not 1993.

Besides, from a purely personal POV I find it hard to summon much interest in or sympathy for the Lib Dems. They stood for unpicking the result of the Brexit vote, and now they don't really stand for much at all. Insofar as one can make out, the members just want them to be a marginally less left-wing version of the Labour Party, aimed at Waitrose shoppers. And I think that, after the 2019 phenomenon of voting to put Boris Johnson back into bat because he wasn't Jeremy Corbyn, it would be nice to have some positive reasons to vote for a party at last. "Vote for us - we're not Tories" ought to help them a bit, but simply being the least offensive/most beige option on the ballot paper hardly inspires.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944
    maaarsh said:

'Currently the LDs are on 13.5/1 with Betfair to win – a bet that looks very attractive'

Talk it in a little more and you'll be able to cash out for an even money return without having to hold on to your losing ticket to the end - hurrah!

That's uncalled for. Your charge could be levelled at any betting post or tip made here, and without those we'd be left ranting about low quality news channels. It is only by looking at prices and implied probabilities that we calibrate our own beliefs.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

I wonder what lovingly crafted Tyldesley bon mot we missed as a result?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944

I can't see it.

The BBC weather forecast gives a 33% chance of rain all day which, if it falls, might depress turnout. If not, 20 degrees C is surely a goldilocks voting temperature.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Joe Biden left before the press conference with Ursula von der Leyen and Charles Michel and their joint statement wasn't released for hours afterwards. It doesn't say anything about the Northern Ireland protocol.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    IshmaelZ said:

So the LDs are liars and the author of the threader is quite happy with that?

Both those things are all the rage these days.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    Now that IKEA have pulled their ads from GBNews do supposed wokers like me have to start frequenting that life extracting establishment? Or can we get a pass from the fact that IKEA is owned by an actual Nazi who finds GBNews too extreme?
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    MattW said:

8th.

One fat lady.

I wonder how long it will take GBNews to get to 120k Twitter followers?

Oh - they are at 265k already.

I have no idea if that's good or bad, but they are on 43,000 likes on Facebook and 63,000 followers, and 74,000 subscribers on YouTube. for reference when I cheeked about a week ago they where on less than 10,000 on each, so they are growing,

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    FF43 said:

Now that IKEA have pulled their ads from GBNews do supposed wokers like me have to start frequenting that life extracting establishment? Or can we get a pass from the fact that IKEA is owned by an actual Nazi who finds GBNews too extreme?

Isn't he dead?
  • XtrainXtrain Posts: 337
    FF43 said:

I don't know about that but this Dan Wooten interview with Lady C is pure gold!

I can't see it.

I don't know about that. I thought turnout would be about 30% in Hartlepool yet it ended up being over 40%; Chesham & Amersham could easily get to half.

Incidentally, I hadn't realised until I went looking for information that there is a "Rejoin EU" candidate available in this by-election for the fanatical ex-Remainers. Sadly the OMRLP aren't fielding a candidate so we can't speculate as to which one would receive the fewest votes, but if he does do unexpectedly well then this is unlikely to hurt the Conservatives.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Isn't he dead?
    No idea. Funnily enough, some of the brands as well as GB News itself are probably quite happy with the boycotts and anti-boycotts. Marketing moves in mysterious ways.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044

First. Like Liberals in C&A hopefully.

It would be nice to see the Government take a good kicking for a change but I don't think it's going to happen. The yellows are going to need to completely fillet both the Labour and Green votes, and win over substantial numbers of Tory switchers. Insofar as I can see they've nothing to offer except Nimbyism about HS2 (which the Greens will do with more enthusiasm,) set against which the Tories have a solid core vote that's very far from tired of the Government and ready to protest and to splinter. Again, it's 2021 not 1993.

Besides, from a purely personal POV I find it hard to summon much interest in or sympathy for the Lib Dems. They stood for unpicking the result of the Brexit vote, and now they don't really stand for much at all. Insofar as one can make out, the members just want them to be a marginally less left-wing version of the Labour Party, aimed at Waitrose shoppers. And I think that, after the 2019 phenomenon of voting to put Boris Johnson back into bat because he wasn't Jeremy Corbyn, it would be nice to have some positive reasons to vote for a party at last. "Vote for us - we're not Tories" ought to help them a bit, but simply being the least offensive/most beige option on the ballot paper hardly inspires.
    I'm so old I remember the Greens being the only party calling for high speed rail in Britain.
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Isn't he dead?
    No idea. Funnily enough, some of the brands as well as GB News itself are probably quite happy with the boycotts and anti-boycotts. Marketing moves in mysterious ways.
    Well he is. So you might want to withdraw your comment unless you are arguing the current owner is an actual Nazi.
    edited June 2021
    Lib Dem. Internal polling... has it ever been anything like accurate,?.. or is it hope and expectation over reality.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,289
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:
    Do I not get a co credit as the sole proponent of this story for months!

By the way I meant to say to Topping yesterday, anyone that uses the phrase “little green men” in a pejorative way at this point of the game, marks themselves out as being at best intellectually incurious. If I’m polite about it. And in any case, if you’ve paid attention since as far back as Mulder and Scully, it should be “little grey men”.
    You were first! You switched me on to this

As it happens my explanation has switched back to a mixture of hyperbole, pilot error - and elaborate
    US psy-ops exploiting the same, but that is still a huge story - esp given the scale of the establishment reaction. Anyone who dismisses this as a ‘normal’ UFO flap really isn’t paying attention

And I do not rule out other conclusions
    The cross party, multi administration psyops conspiracy theory is too far fetched for me. The only non-“exotic” explanation that makes even remote sense, is that mundane misinterpreted observations have captured the imagination of a hardcore of the US security state and it’s taken on a life of its own with each retelling. Secret US tech and foreign tech make no sense at all to me.

But to be honest this looks less likely than the simple conclusion that there is non human technology on earth / in its atmosphere (which has probably been here a long time, probably predating us). There really is no reason why this should be considered a fantastical explanation, it’s the most simple and logical explanation of the wealth of public evidence. And of course the multiple statements by various individuals with past or present top classification security status.
    Your first paragraph is a more articulate expression than mine: of what is my present explanation - tho I add extra psy-ops, to fuck with Chinese minds

But I don’t rule out anything else

One of the things that makes me wonder is the multiple descriptions of 2 metre diameter illuminated metal spheres moving with ease between water and air. These, it seems, have been observed by Russian, Iranian and US military in recent decades, always near water

And then I find this. A spherical object apparently flying over the Bristol Channel, filmed by police. Invisible to the eye, observable by IR. Are these ALL weather balloons, but misidentified?!

https://twitter.com/bristollive/status/780776519186743296?s=21
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    The picture quality of GB news is shit and looks low budget

But with the campaign against it on Twitter, part of me hopes it pulls through
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,718

I can't see it.

No but they might vote Reform UK on that while the LDs get the Nimby vote
    I’d forgotten how marvelous it is, to be in a house in the English countryside, on a fine summer’s evening, as the long light departs

HYUFD said:

I can't see it.

I stand to be corrected by events but RefUK looks dead in the water to me.
    In 2019 the Tories got 55% in Chesham and Amersham, the LDs got 26%, Labour got 13% and the Greens got 5%. There was no Brexit Party candidate.

If the LDs are on 41% now that suggests they have squeezed most of the 18% who voted Labour and Green in 2019 to be up 15% on last time.

If the Tories are down to 55% from 45% that also suggests ReformUK could be on 5-10%

I can't see it.

I don't know about that. I thought turnout would be about 30% in Hartlepool yet it ended up being over 40%; Chesham & Amersham could easily get to half.

Incidentally, I hadn't realised until I went looking for information that there is a "Rejoin EU" candidate available in this by-election for the fanatical ex-Remainers. Sadly the OMRLP aren't fielding a candidate so we can't speculate as to which one would receive the fewest votes, but if he does do unexpectedly well then this is unlikely to hurt the Conservatives.
    May do. At 55% Remain, and 55 per cent Tory there must be plenty Remain Tories.
    edited June 2021

HYUFD said:

I can't see it.

I stand to be corrected by events but RefUK looks dead in the water to me.
    If the polling numbers CityAm are reporting are correct it seems Boris' announcement on Monday may have revived Farage and Tice's Party faster than Lazarus if the Tory voteshare is down 10%
    edited June 2021

Lib Dem. Internal polling... has it ever been anything like accurate,?.. or is it hope and expectation over reality.

It's Bistromathics.

Lib Dem claims follow Hitchhiker ... from Infinite Improbability to numbers dependant upon movements in restaurants:

A major step up from the Infinite Improbability Drive, Bistromathics is a way of understanding the behavior of numbers. Just as Einstein observed that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement through space, so it was realised that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.

Lib Dem numbers are never absolute, but depend upon movement in, particularly, Bars.

It was accurate in Richmond Park
    HYUFD said:

In 2019 the Tories got 55% in Chesham and Amersham, the LDs got 26%, Labour got 13% and the Greens got 5%. There was no Brexit Party candidate.

If the LDs are on 41% now that suggests they have squeezed most of the 18% who voted Labour and Green in 2019 to be up 15% on last time.

If the Tories are down to 55% from 45% that also suggests ReformUK could be on 5-10%

If.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,597

GBNews is there, only to make angry people angrier. On the left as well as the right it would appear
    The cottage where I sleep dates back at least to Henry VIII: the 16th century. Possibly long before. The owners, when they restored it, found a mummified cat in the walls. Also two shoes, one 14th century - and one from the 1940s. Brilliant. That’s a ghost story right there

The estate was owned by Cardinal Wolseley who gave it to Sir Richard Rich

I love Britain.
    HYUFD said:

Once.. in how many elections.. ? I have o feeling as I am not in the constituency but I would trust this polling as much as I would a Llb Dem bar chart.
    Leon said:

The cottage where I sleep dates back at least to Henry VIII: the 16th century. Possibly long before. The owners, when they restored it, found a mummified cat in the walls. Also two shoes, one 14th century - and one from the 1940s. Brilliant. That’s a ghost story right there

I love Britain.

Mummified cats are quite normal aiui. Have they found the witch, yet?

Just put a future mummified cat in my avatar.
    Ministers considering giving Scottish MPs the right to vote down English legislation.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1404914403368214531?s=20

Without an English Parliament it would be an outrage

HYUFD said:

Once.. in how many elections.. ? I have o feeling as I am not in the constituency but I would trust this polling as much as I would a Llb Dem bar chart.
    On which point...
    Are there any local PB ers? Or with a connection to the area? Or been canvassing?
    We seem short of this kind of inside information.
    Leo Varadkar has been apparently ‘ramping up tensions’ with this

‘United Ireland ‘can happen in my lifetime’ – Leo Varadkar tells Fine Gael ard fheis
    belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-…’

Leo V is 42. He is therefore saying something ‘can’ happen in the next four decades, maybe

If you are stoked by this you are easily triggered

Within 40 years we will be ruled by computers based in space, or worse. I doubt we will be worrying about ‘Irish unification’
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

I can't see it.

In the 40 years I've known Amersham I don't ever remember there being a nightclub. Chesham had one but it was considered naff even in 1988
    HYUFD said:

Ministers considering giving Scottish MPs the right to vote down English legislation.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1404914403368214531?s=20

Without an English Parliament it would be an outrage

Which reaction it is entirely designed to provoke...
    Like GB News. I adopt an amused shrug.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,978
    Dirty Chelsea player bites the French player.

Lock him up and ban him for two years.

https://twitter.com/romankemp/status/1404888461069459463
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    Just had a small bet on Reform coming third in the Chesham by election at 33/1 (Ladbrokes). i would have thought some tories annoyed by the non lifting of social distancing and the tactical voting by Labour and Greens may give this a good chance
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,620
    Professor Tim Spector seems to be hinting that the PB early shout that the ‘cases’ inflation rate is slowing might be right.

“Update tomorrow” he promises…

Dirty Chelsea player bites the French player.

Lock him up and ban him for two years.

https://twitter.com/romankemp/status/1404888461069459463

Sexual assault as well...titty grab.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

If Dick gets the chop, will it mark a transition for the Met?

Well Spotted, Dick may get her just desserts.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    8% of kids getting long covid, best to take the vaccination for them tbh.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    Leon said:

I love Britain.

Be a wrench when you scuttle off to whichever bastion of freedom you plump for.

Leon said:

I love Britain.

Be a wrench when you scuttle off to whichever bastion of freedom you plump for.
    I shall divide my time
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

‘United Ireland ‘can happen in my lifetime’ – Leo Varadkar tells Fine Gael ard fheis

Leo V is 42. He is therefore saying something ‘can’ happen in the next four decades, maybe

Within 40 years we will be ruled by computers based in space, or worse. I doubt we will be worrying about ‘Irish unification’

All Irish parties have always supported Irish unity, just FF and FG support a slower timetable for it than SF do so no news there.

In any case it is a matter for the people of Northern Ireland not the Irish government

(Anyway, who would control and programme the computers?)
    Leon said:

He's also saying some interesting things. Thinking about ways in which the Republic would have to change so that a United Ireland would be a success. Talking about a closer relationship with the UK.

Very different from the Sinn Fein approach of completing the war of independence.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,038
    They're probably 10-12% behind then.
    Looks like Castillo has it:

Peru, presidential election results:

100% counted

Castillo (PL, left): 50.12%
    Fujimori (FP, right): 49.88%

The validity of some votes is still being challenged by Keiko Fujimori but it is not expected to be enough to reverse Castillo’s lead.

#Peru #EleccionesBicentenario https://t.co/gckXQxLF4u

FF43 said:

I do have to wonder quite what GB news have done that is so offensive. This is proving everything about woke behaviour, without even having to try.
    Nothing. The Spectator fought back on this by giving a lifetime ban to any organisation that played this game.

It got the Co-op to fold.
  • XtrainXtrain Posts: 337
    Leon said:

I’d forgotten how marvelous it is, to be in a house in the English countryside, on a fine summer’s evening, as the long light departs

Yes with a dog by your side and a beer in your hand.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,755
    FPT
    sarissa said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I just had gin, tonic and fine quirky cheeses in the garden of a quite famous Tory judge (retired) who says he encountered Sir Kir ‘Royale’ Starmer many times as Kir Royale rose through the ranks

Says Kir is outstandingly intelligent. But… zero charisma… is true

Our best prime minister is probably a combo of Boris and Royale. Boris to win elections, Royale to rule

I think that you should write a London newspaper column, say twice a week, with at least one-third (better more) devoted to your wanders to & fro across the (mostly London & English) countryside. With the spice of your views on whatever topic has got you interested - obsessed - enthralled - enraged at any given moment.

Certainly your word pictures, culinary reviews AND high-brow chit-chat are some of the best of PB.
    A splendid idea!
    Did you ever get to the Danakil and Erte Ale? Being a volcano junkie, it has always been on my bucket list.
  • citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90
    This from a Whitehall leak in march as problems in vaccine supply are emerging tonight
    The final milestone is due on June 21st where ALL restrictions were promised to be lifted. This will not be allowed to happen. Vaccine passports / Track and Trace will be mandatory, as will masks and social distancing. The entire week of the 21st will be taken up by a third wave, which will suddenly be ‘rampant’, and this will be attributed to a new variant which they will declare is more deadly than the previous strains of Covid allegedly doing the rounds. This will be accompanied with yet more issues with vaccine supplies. Authorities will declare that one of the vaccines is effective against the deadlier strain, but a ‘problem’ with its manufacture will emerge.

The Whitehall source went on to say –

“All the measures are aimed at two things, vaccine passports and lockdowns starting next winter, The ultimate goal is to have the public, back in their box."

• citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90
    And this is tonight's telegraph article
    Pfizer supply shortage forces Covid vaccine rollout to slow down

Rate at which jabs dispensed set to fall further as supplies cut in hotspots where infections have taken hold among younger groups

ByBill Gardner and Laura Donnelly, HEALTH EDITOR

This from a Whitehall leak in march as problems in vaccine supply are emerging tonight
    The final milestone is due on June 21st where ALL restrictions were promised to be lifted. This will not be allowed to happen. Vaccine passports / Track and Trace will be mandatory, as will masks and social distancing. The entire week of the 21st will be taken up by a third wave, which will suddenly be ‘rampant’, and this will be attributed to a new variant which they will declare is more deadly than the previous strains of Covid allegedly doing the rounds. This will be accompanied with yet more issues with vaccine supplies. Authorities will declare that one of the vaccines is effective against the deadlier strain, but a ‘problem’ with its manufacture will emerge.

“All the measures are aimed at two things, vaccine passports and lockdowns starting next winter, The ultimate goal is to have the public, back in their box."

What's the source for this?
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    RobD said:

The internet. Init

Lib Dem internal polling is very good generally.

Also they tend to be quite good at by-elections - see Brecon, Richmond. Remember it's normal for opposition parties to do better in by-elections than the governing party typically; it's just Starmer is so shit he is going backwards in Labour's old heartlands.

The gap is I think too great for the Lib Dems to overcome here but they'll be within 10%, a decent swing from the GE.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,748

I think the lo-fi nature of this channel works in its favour. They should just keep it like this. Maybe it is deliberate.

The suggestion from the woke is that it is funded by sinister Murdoch like trillionaires. Well that can't be true, they would surely have funded a decent studio. How hard can that be? The technology costs a fraction of what it used to.

It looks like it is under siege. It is under siege. It looks like a low budget youtube channel. Everyone is desperately trying to cancel it. Woke Scandinavian brands are desperately begging for forgiveness for being associated with it.

All this just increases its appeal. It puts the focus on the actual content, which in terms of commentary and analysis is far better than the obvious bias of the BBC and Sky.

ping said:

RobD said:

The internet. Init
    Conspiraloons dot com.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Foxy said:

If Dick gets the chop, will it mark a transition for the Met?

Well Spotted, Dick may get her just desserts.
    With a photo entitled “Dick Pic”

Leon said:

He's also saying some interesting things. Thinking about ways in which the Republic would have to change so that a United Ireland would be a success. Talking about a closer relationship with the UK.

Very different from the Sinn Fein approach of completing the war of independence.
    I'd be interested in understanding what a "new and closer relationship" with the UK would look like.

Just a bit of cosmetics whilst keeping the Euro and plunging full deep into the machinations of EU political union wouldn't cut it.
    RobD said:

Good question. Sounds a bit like shit-stirring to me.

And this is tonight's telegraph article
    Pfizer supply shortage forces Covid vaccine rollout to slow down

Rate at which jabs dispensed set to fall further as supplies cut in hotspots where infections have taken hold among younger groups

ByBill Gardner and Laura Donnelly, HEALTH EDITOR

Tbh we'll be hitting the long demand limitation tail with first doses soon anyway so reduced supply isn't a colossal issue.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Leon said:

I'd be interested in understanding what a "new and closer relationship" with the UK would look like.

Just a bit of cosmetics whilst keeping the Euro and plunging full deep into the machinations of EU political union wouldn't cut it.
    How about an United Ireland under the British Crown? That would sort out the border problem immediately
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Leon said:

It's almost a certainty he means the other way around, that the UK will be crowbarred back into the EU's orbit.
    darkage said:

I think the lo-fi nature of this channel works in its favour. They should just keep it like this. Maybe it is deliberate.

The suggestion from the woke is that it is funded by sinister Murdoch like trillionaires. Well that can't be true, they would surely have funded a decent studio. How hard can that be? The technology costs a fraction of what it used to.

It looks like it is under siege. It is under siege. It looks like a low budget youtube channel. Everyone is desperately trying to cancel it. Woke Scandinavian brands are desperately begging for forgiveness for being associated with it.

All this just increases its appeal. It puts the focus on the actual content, which in terms of commentary and analysis is far better than the obvious bias of the BBC and Sky.

Classic joke from Porkies on GBNews.

#gbnews #DewbsandCo can't believe they fell for Mike Hunt gag from Porkys ffs 😂 https://t.co/gFruI0iGJi

https://twitter.com/skywhistleblow1/status/1404867732106104833?s=19
    ping said:

RobD said:

The internet. Init
    Various nutters.
    edited June 2021
    So far as I can work out the various betting markets and so on indicate Labour might lose their deposit :D
    They're actually 6-4 to come third with Ladbrokes, might be worth a punt. I was allowed all of £1.67 anyhow.

Greens are 8-15.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

It's almost a certainty he means the other way around, that the UK will be crowbarred back into the EU's orbit.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/ireland-expects-uk-brexit-position-shift-following-g7-pressure-2021-06-15/

Coveney: Ireland expects UK Brexit position to shift following G7 pressure
    Pulpstar said:

So far as I can work out the various betting markets and so on indicate Labour might lose their deposit :D

There is a real chance on tonight's poll Labour could come 5th on Thursday in Chesham and Amersham behind the Tories, LDs, ReformUK and the Greens
    edited June 2021
    From GB News....if you want a giggle, 2 mins onward, the lady in the red in the background appears to have a temper tantrum....initially I thought she was perhaps celebrating a goal in the footie or something, but watch he come back to her desk..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNmsygTcbHU
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

That's his objective.

The logical implication of what he's saying though is a common market for the British Isles, and a more semi-detached relationship for Ireland within the EU.
    Pulpstar said:

Also they tend to be quite good at by-elections - see Brecon, Richmond. Remember it's normal for opposition parties to do better in by-elections than the governing party typically; it's just Starmer is so shit he is going backwards in Labour's old heartlands.

The gap is I think too great for the Lib Dems to overcome here but they'll be within 10%, a decent swing from the GE.
    I am always suspicious of "internal polling says X".

Published polling is bad enough, but polling that we don't know sample size, sample method, weighting or breakdown is as reliable as Mystic Megs tea leaves.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Can someone remind me: how accurate was the LibDems constituency push polling back in (I think) 2017?

Weren’t they supposed to win 40 seats or something?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited June 2021
    Tory MP for Rutland & Melton defends GB News and takes on IKEA.

"Alicia Kearns MP for Rutland and Melton
    @aliciakearns
    IKEA with its “humanistic values” found guilty of spying on its staff illegally… today.

Turns out it used slave labour of political opponents of East Germany.

Thanks for making me do my research IKEA.

#GBNews

https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141054/The-Ikea-sofa-political-prisoners-Stasi-camps.html

https://google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2021/jun/15/ikea-fined-1m-by-french-court-for-spying-on-staff
    9:10 PM · Jun 15, 2021"

https://twitter.com/aliciakearns/status/1404894144540065797

Leon said:

I wouldn't expect him to have any answers at this stage, but it's interesting that he's putting the questions out there and saying that these things need to be considered.

Commonwealth membership probably comes into the cosmetic category - but I think symbols are unusually important in this case - but it would mark a significant change in approach from Ireland.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Charles said:

Can someone remind me: how accurate was the LibDems constituency push polling back in (I think) 2017?

I seem to remember something about preparing for government a little further back than that

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/ireland-expects-uk-brexit-position-shift-following-g7-pressure-2021-06-15/

What's fascinating about the EU's behaviour at the G7 is that they're so narrow-minded and insular that crowbarring the UK back into alignment via the NI protocol is more important to them than standing up to China, or global economic recovery or climate change.

Nothing must defy The Project.

I suspect Biden was fed up of them by the end.
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

I am always suspicious of "internal polling says X".

Published polling is bad enough, but polling that we don't know sample size, sample method, weighting or breakdown is as reliable as Mystic Megs tea leaves.
    Lib Dem internal data/polling has a decent record on by-elections !
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,288

FF43 said:

I do have to wonder quite what GB news have done that is so offensive. This is proving everything about woke behaviour, without even having to try.
    Lol! That's what happens when you let the free market determine everything 😂
    edited June 2021

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

What's fascinating about the EU's behaviour at the G7 is that they're so narrow-minded and insular that crowbarring the UK back into alignment via the NI protocol is more important to them than standing up to China, or global economic recovery or climate change.

Nothing must defy The Project.

I suspect Biden was fed up of them by the end.
    To be fair to Macron he did back Boris and Biden on more infrastructure spending by the G7 in the developing world to counter Chinese influence but it was Merkel who was pushing back on it.

For Macron though "France never took the liberty to question the sovereignty, the territorial integrity of the United Kingdom."

"I remember that when Boris Johnson came to power, he didn't want to keep the backstop, which was defended by Theresa May," he added. "Prime Minister Boris Johnson knew very well then that an issue of controls would be posed and he signed a protocol for northern Ireland that provided for these controls."

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/macron-says-we-love-sausage-lets-not-waste-time-this-2021-06-13/
This discussion has been closed.