Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The right wing press appears uneasy about where BoJo is going – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    The Rozzers turn out to be corrupt and tried to cover it up.

I AM SHOCKED!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,837
    Fishing said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Particularly for one with Australia that has no economic value whatever.

Australia more than anywhere shows the limits of gravity trade models. It became the richest country in the world per capita in the 19th century based on trade with a place that couldn't have been further away.
    The uplift for Australia trade claimed by the government for this arrangement is 0.02% of GDP over 15 years. Even that apparently depends on assumptions that never transpire in practice. This deal is of negligible value
    All such estimates are based on everything else remaining equal which it never does. Things will happen that economists are incapable of predicting.
    Australia traded with the UK before the deal and will trade with it after. The 0.02% uplift of UK GDP in 15 years is what Liz Truss and her lot are claiming for this deal. And even that depends on dodgy assumptions.

I am sorry ...
    To be honest I do not think it is the trade deal that is important to HMG, is all the others that follow and of course each and every trade deal drives us further from the EU and results in those pro EU to agitate
    I am sure there's an element of that. Not something to be proud of in my view. It damages UK livelihoods.
    It is the process of creating a new relationship with others, and reports this morning that it enhances the UK application to join the TPP
    TPP is the big prize here. It will take time, but will be the biggest trade deal in history when it comes into effect. Every smaller trade deal among TPP member states, makes the big one easier.
    You'd have thought a focus on the Pacific would make more sense for countries in the vicinity of the Pacific.
    Hey we have Pitcairn you know...
    Indeed! And we now look to kick on from that and reclaim our buccaneering brio. Build BACK better.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550
    edited June 2021
    Naturally enhanced neutralizing breadth against SARS-CoV-2 one year after infection
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03696-9
    Over one year after its inception, the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) pandemic caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) remains difficult to control despite the availability of several excellent vaccines. Progress in controlling the pandemic is slowed by the emergence of variants that appear to be more transmissible and more resistant to antibodies1,2. Here we report on a cohort of 63 COVID-19-convalescent individuals assessed at 1.3, 6.2 and 12 months after infection, 41% of whom also received mRNA vaccines3,4. In the absence of vaccination antibody reactivity to the receptor binding domain (RBD) of SARS-CoV-2, neutralizing activity and the number of RBD-specific memory B cells remain relatively stable from 6 to 12 months. Vaccination increases all components of the humoral response, and as expected, results in serum neutralizing activities against variants of concern that are comparable to or greater than neutralizing activity against the original Wuhan Hu-1 achieved by vaccination of naive individuals2,5–8. The mechanism underlying these broad-based responses involves ongoing antibody somatic mutation, memory B cell clonal turnover, and development of monoclonal antibodies that are exceptionally resistant to SARS-CoV-2 RBD mutations, including those found in variants of concern4,9. In addition, B cell clones expressing broad and potent antibodies are selectively retained in the repertoire over time and expand dramatically after vaccination. The data suggest that immunity in convalescent individuals will be very long lasting and that convalescent individuals who receive available mRNA vaccines will produce antibodies and memory B cells that should be protective against circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants....
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    Sandpit said:

The U.K./Aus agreement is silent on services.

Yet that is where our comparative advantage lies.
    We are the world’s second largest exporter.

We ought really be attempting to improve service access if we are letting in more goods.

There’s lots on services in the SMH article.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/a-new-dawn-australia-and-britain-agree-on-historic-trade-deal-20210615-p5817c.html

Mutual recognition of qualifications, opening up of Oz market to financial firms and mutually relaxed visa requirements for young temporary workers.
    Mutual recognition of qualifications should solve Australia's problem recruiting health care staff in a trice!

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Roger said:

Great news! .Trade deal with Australia adding 0.02% to our GDP!!

Only another 47.8% and who needs the EU

The Kangaroo piss is on me!

The EU added 47.8% to our GDP?
    So outside of the EU our GDP per capita is going to drop to $28,601 per capita in roger's eyes? And the eyes of the two people (so far) that liked that?

Should be easy enough to test soon enough.
  • My understanding why NZ Lamb is expensive in NZ is because of foreign demand, they can get loads from markets like the Middle East. And why most, if not all NZ lamb is halal.

We prefer (and pretty much only eat) New Zealand lamb, not because it is halal but is unlikely to have been violated by a human, which is the risk with Welsh lamb.

Plus, NZ lamber tastes nicer as well.
    Ask the Aussies. They believe the Kiwis prefer woolly love.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Sandpit said:

Breaking on Sky News

Shocking report of institutional corruption in the MET Police over the Daniel Morgan case

Look as if Priti Patel could be in trouble as she is condemned in the report over her efforts to delay its publication

Really? Where abouts? Her name only appears twice - once in the cover letter, the second time in her response to the panel:

https://www.danielmorganpanel.independent.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/CCS0220047602-001_Daniel_Morgan_Inquiry_Web_Accessible.pdf
    The family had critisised the Home Office for delaying the publication of the report by a month, as they wanted to have the lawyers check for anything that might be required to be redacted on security grounds. The report is today published unabridged.
    Probably worth checking though, right?
    I’d say so, yes. The good Baroness, however, took the view that it was threatening independence of her report. She might have had a point, if they’d actually redacted it.
    edited June 2021

My understanding why NZ Lamb is expensive in NZ is because of foreign demand, they can get loads from markets like the Middle East. And why most, if not all NZ lamb is halal.

We prefer (and pretty much only eat) New Zealand lamb, not because it is halal but is unlikely to have been violated by a human, which is the risk with Welsh lamb.

Is it a wonder the Welsh are so threatened by competition there?

My understanding why NZ Lamb is expensive in NZ is because of foreign demand, they can get loads from markets like the Middle East. And why most, if not all NZ lamb is halal.

Have you got the “Dick Out” headline ready to go, if the Met commissioner falls on her sword?
    Sandpit said:

Have you got the “Dick Out” headline ready to go, if the Met commissioner falls on her sword?
    Dick out out following repeated cock ups and more.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

We ought really be attempting to improve service access if we are letting in more goods.

There’s lots on services in the SMH article.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/a-new-dawn-australia-and-britain-agree-on-historic-trade-deal-20210615-p5817c.html

Mutual recognition of qualifications, opening up of Oz market to financial firms and mutually relaxed visa requirements for young temporary workers.
    Mutual recognition of qualifications should solve Australia's problem recruiting health care staff in a trice!

They got themselves a good deal, by the looks of it.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited June 2021
    I totally missed this two and a half years ago: Rupert Murdoch selling all his shares in Sky News. Maybe explains the channel's change in tone since then.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-end-of-era-as-rupert-murdochs-21st-century-fox-exits-sky-11509560

The Aussies believe any old rubbish out the All Blacks nation.

New Zealand is lovely. You can understand why Peter Jackson selected it to be the home of the shire and Middle Earth.

Yes, services rather than physical goods chugging between us and the other side of the world is where I can see the power of "the world's our oyster". Seems a bit ridiculous to me if it's the other way round.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Here's the new Australian free trade deal in context...
    https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1404742990401257473

some say the Australian trade deal isn’t life changing but government says it will save the average person 1p a week on imports
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1404777667333922820
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

New Zealand is lovely. You can understand why Peter Jackson selected it to be the home of the shire and Middle Earth.
    I suspect being a Kiwi himself was quite a large factor. You make it sound like he toured the world for locations and stumbled across an unknown gem.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Ireland:

More than 400,000 people who are waiting for a second dose of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine have been told they cannot travel abroad.

The “vaccine bonus” for those who are a month on from their first AstraZeneca jab does not involve foreign travel, the updated advice from the HSE has warned.

People in their 60s, and a significant number of those with underlying conditions, have been left waiting for a second dose of the vaccine, which will take at least eight weeks, but may be even longer for many.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/foreign-travel-ban-for-400000-with-only-one-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-40539824.html
    "@BBCBreakfast

“There probably will be measures we want to maintain for a bit longer, face mask wearing is an obvious one”

Shadow Health Secretary Jonathan Ashworth tells #BBCBreakfast it would be ‘sensible’ to continue wearing face masks this Autumn.

http://bbc.in/2TxE4St"

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1404688007081431041
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

I expect sheep-fancying is pretty widespread in any part of the world where they’re farmed.
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

I totally missed this two and a half years ago: Rupert Murdoch selling all his shares in Sky News. Maybe explains the channel's change in tone since then.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-end-of-era-as-rupert-murdochs-21st-century-fox-exits-sky-11509560

The tone shift happened long before that.

https://www.newsweek.com/murdoch-family-split-follows-biden-donations-climate-science-fight-1522115

Plus, before you get a meme started in your head that Comcast are a bunch of woke liberals they donated to Trump and the GOP, a lot and quite regularly.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5886359/msnbc-comcast-rnc/
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Australia more than anywhere shows the limits of gravity trade models. It became the richest country in the world per capita in the 19th century based on trade with a place that couldn't have been further away.
    The uplift for Australia trade claimed by the government for this arrangement is 0.02% of GDP over 15 years. Even that apparently depends on assumptions that never transpire in practice. This deal is of negligible value
    All such estimates are based on everything else remaining equal which it never does. Things will happen that economists are incapable of predicting.
    Australia traded with the UK before the deal and will trade with it after. The 0.02% uplift of UK GDP in 15 years is what Liz Truss and her lot are claiming for this deal. And even that depends on dodgy assumptions.

I am sorry ...
    To be honest I do not think it is the trade deal that is important to HMG, is all the others that follow and of course each and every trade deal drives us further from the EU and results in those pro EU to agitate
    I am sure there's an element of that. Not something to be proud of in my view. It damages UK livelihoods.
    It is the process of creating a new relationship with others, and reports this morning that it enhances the UK application to join the TPP
    TPP is the big prize here. It will take time, but will be the biggest trade deal in history when it comes into effect. Every smaller trade deal among TPP member states, makes the big one easier.
    You'd have thought a focus on the Pacific would make more sense for countries in the vicinity of the Pacific.
    It's interesting in these situations to see what the other parties are saying. Apparently there are four potential joiners: South Korea (view from PacRim: slam dunk);Taiwan (very sympathetic, under normal circumstances an ideal member, but with the Chinese politics may end up in the too difficult basket); USA (gamechanger if it happens, not holding breath); UK (not sure what that's about, but kind of flattering that they are thinking of this).

To be clear I am in favour of nice-to-have treaties with Australia etc as long as you don't lose sight of what really matters. And that's in Europe. We have lost 20% of our EU trade since leaving several months ago and 10% of our total trade. It's worse than that, actually, because we are also missing out on investment on a slower burn. Big issues in Northern Ireland as well. This is where the tyre hits the road and where we need to focus our attention.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    Nigelb said:

Naturally enhanced neutralizing breadth against SARS-CoV-2 one year after infection
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03696-9
    Over one year after its inception, the coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) pandemic caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2) remains difficult to control despite the availability of several excellent vaccines. Progress in controlling the pandemic is slowed by the emergence of variants that appear to be more transmissible and more resistant to antibodies1,2. Here we report on a cohort of 63 COVID-19-convalescent individuals assessed at 1.3, 6.2 and 12 months after infection, 41% of whom also received mRNA vaccines3,4. In the absence of vaccination antibody reactivity to the receptor binding domain (RBD) of SARS-CoV-2, neutralizing activity and the number of RBD-specific memory B cells remain relatively stable from 6 to 12 months. Vaccination increases all components of the humoral response, and as expected, results in serum neutralizing activities against variants of concern that are comparable to or greater than neutralizing activity against the original Wuhan Hu-1 achieved by vaccination of naive individuals2,5–8. The mechanism underlying these broad-based responses involves ongoing antibody somatic mutation, memory B cell clonal turnover, and development of monoclonal antibodies that are exceptionally resistant to SARS-CoV-2 RBD mutations, including those found in variants of concern4,9. In addition, B cell clones expressing broad and potent antibodies are selectively retained in the repertoire over time and expand dramatically after vaccination. The data suggest that immunity in convalescent individuals will be very long lasting and that convalescent individuals who receive available mRNA vaccines will produce antibodies and memory B cells that should be protective against circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants....

Good news, but not really surprising.

Andy_JS said:

The tone shift happened long before that.

https://www.newsweek.com/murdoch-family-split-follows-biden-donations-climate-science-fight-1522115

Plus, before you get a meme started in your head that Comcast are a bunch of woke liberals they donated to Trump and the GOP, a lot and quite regularly.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5886359/msnbc-comcast-rnc/
    Be fair, Comcast (and Disney) are an equal opportunity buyer of politicians. One of the scummiest companies in America.
    Scott_xP said:

So should we not do deals then? Is that your point?
  • Andy_JS said:

"@BBCBreakfast

“There probably will be measures we want to maintain for a bit longer, face mask wearing is an obvious one”

Shadow Health Secretary Jonathan Ashworth tells #BBCBreakfast it would be ‘sensible’ to continue wearing face masks this Autumn.

He can do one as well.
    Scott_xP said:

- British farming will be dismantled over 15 years, not killed off immediately.

Right well that guy isn't stark raving mad and shouing his bias.

I wonder what attracts you to these religious zealots who worship at the altar of the EU? Oh wait.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Dura_Ace said:

I think WilliamG should do a thread-header on his 180 degree flip from Remain to Brexit.

He’s now even repeating Brexity nonsense that he would have directly rebutted in his earlier incarnation.

Perhaps he could choose some of his choicest cuts from 2016-2019 and explain why he now thinks he was so fundamentally wrong.

No one else can do this, it would be truly enlightening.

It's like when Rio went from Leeds to Man Utd.
    Mo!

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    OT One hour to go before the first race at Royal Ascot. Other sporting events are available.
    Where we were when the India travel restrictions were introduced:

Delta variant:

Alpha variant:

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838

Andy_JS said:

"@BBCBreakfast

He can do one as well.
    I don't mind the continuation of face coverings in non voluntary settings - I'd classify hospitals and grocers in that category, but I think they need to be done away with in pubs, restaurants, indoor music and other voluntary places.
    Numberwang news. Just scored 89/89 on the finger gadget we all bought at the start of the pandemic. No idea what it means but it's the first time I've got matching numbers.
    maaarsh said:

I suspect being a Kiwi himself was quite a large factor. You make it sound like he toured the world for locations and stumbled across an unknown gem.
    Well the ghastly Harvey Weinstein wanted to film in America to take advantage of tax breaks and Jackson nearly went for it, thinking it would allow him to have the money to film the books the way he wanted to do so.

Ultimately it came down to cash, the tax breaks would have been offset against the additional CGI budget that wouldn't have been needed if they filmed in New Zealand.

As an aside, they tried to portray the LOTR trilogy as a loss maker thanks to Hollywood accounting.

Numberwang news. Just scored 89/89 on the finger gadget we all bought at the start of the pandemic. No idea what it means but it's the first time I've got matching numbers.

Doesn’t that mean that one is rather high, and the other rather low?

The reaction by some to the trade deal seems a bit like the overreaction to GBNews.

If we weren't doing trade deals the same voices would be saying see told you we couldn't...

Talking of GB News, they'd not exorcised the gremlins when I looked in this morning.
    Perhaps they've blown all the money on the 'talent'. Eg Carole Malone was on yesterday. Also Lord Sugar. And later today - at about 5 pm - I understand we have the much anticipated return to our screens of Dr David Starkey. GB News have taken the brave decision to uncancel him. Exactly what they were set up to do. Things like that. It's a must watch because he's doing a piece on something we've tossed around quite a lot on here recently - whether taking a Knee can be deemed a straightforward antiracist gesture or whether it indicates support for the organization, Damn Black Lives Matter.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

I’m gonna try to read the detail on the U.K.-Aus deal before passing any comment.

In principles, deals are good.
    We need as many as possible.

In practice, there was an obvious divide inside Cabinet between Eustace/Gove vs Truss/Johnson based largely on the resultant prospects for the UK’s own (and importantly Scottish, Welsh, Irish) producers.

Will be interesting to see who “won”.

Farmers mostly voted for Brexit, if there is sucking up to do, then they will have to do it I’m afraid.

I look forward to hearing the "trying not to explode yet" noises !
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

maaarsh said:

Well the ghastly Harvey Weinstein wanted to film in America to take advantage of tax breaks and Jackson nearly went for it, thinking it would allow him to have the money to film the books the way he wanted to do so.

Ultimately it came down to cash, the tax breaks would have been offset against the additional CGI budget that wouldn't have been needed if they filmed in New Zealand.

As an aside, they tried to portray the LOTR trilogy as a loss maker thanks to Hollywood accounting.
    Has any film ever made money using Hollywood accounting?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

These agreements are more political rather than practical. The public doesn’t pay attention to the data involved, and simply sees the government apparently chalking up these wins as compensation for the damage they have self inflicted on the many more companies that trade with our closest neighbours. That they do nothing to make up for the loss is lost on most people.
    Sandpit said:

No idea. I just take the view that if there is a sudden jump, it's curtains, but while the numbers just bounce around in a small range, there is no need to bother the doctors, which is probably just as well if the NHS is closed to everything bar Covid.
    Sandpit said:

If thats your O2 then you are in trouble... Should be>95

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I am sorry ...
    It will dwarf the EU especially when the US join
    Well it's a big ocean, the Pacific. But even with such a 'can do' PM as Boris Johnson we'll struggle to get any closer to it than we are now.
    IanB2 said:

These agreements are more political rather than practical. The public doesn’t pay attention to the data involved, and simply sees the government apparently chalking up these wins as compensation for the damage they have self inflicted on the many more companies that trade with our closest neighbours. That they do nothing to make up for the loss is lost on most people.
    What loss?
    kinabalu said:

Perhaps they've blown all the money on the 'talent'.

It's an interesting media experiment.

They hired a bunch of presenters who are well known thanks to the professionalism of the BBC and Sky who made them look good on screen.

Would any professional media organisation hire any of these presenters if their current GBN output was their only audition tape?

If these people look good on the BBC, and look like idiots on GBN, does that tell us something?
    Where we were when PHE declared Delta a VOC:

Delta:

Alpha:

Sandpit said:

Pulse of 89 a bit high, blood O2 of 89 too low - seek medical attention.

Mr. Walker, I'll be glad if Dick goes. Her desire to use race to discriminate in hiring practices is wretched.

Can you suggest a "not wretched" way to make the Met more representative of the population it's policing then, Morris?
    edited June 2021
    Great find - these quotas are HUGE: rising to much more than half UK beef imports, and higher than historic peak - 1959 - of Australian beef imports to the UK. Lamb similar. Effectively no limits. @EdConwaySky

https://twitter.com/DEHEdgerton/status/1404782791410192387

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1404778797078134788
    kinabalu said:

The reaction by some to the trade deal seems a bit like the overreaction to GBNews.

If we weren't doing trade deals the same voices would be saying see told you we couldn't...

Talking of GB News, they'd not exorcised the gremlins when I looked in this morning.
    Perhaps they've blown all the money on the 'talent'. Eg Carole Malone was on yesterday. Also Lord Sugar. And later today - at about 5 pm - I understand we have the much anticipated return to our screens of Dr David Starkey. GB News have taken the brave decision to uncancel him. Exactly what they were set up to do. Things like that. It's a must watch because he's doing a piece on something we've tossed around quite a lot on here recently - whether taking a Knee can be deemed a straightforward antiracist gesture or whether it indicates support for the organization, Damn Black Lives Matter.
    I've quite a few David Starkey DVDs on history but don't really care what he thinks on current affairs. By the same token, I don't watch Dimbleby or Marr on history. Two sides of the same broadcasting coin, with presenters being chosen for their fame rather than expertise.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I am sorry ...
    Well it's a big ocean, the Pacific. But even with such a 'can do' PM as Boris Johnson we'll struggle to get any closer to it than we are now.
    You're right.

In the era of the internet, data on undersea cables travelling at the speed of light is already capable of travelling 300,000 km per second.
    It is approximately 15,000 km from the UK to Australia.

So it takes approximately 1/20th of a second for data to reach Australia from the UK.

Not much that Boris can do to reduce that time gap or distance.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    why would this figure of hospital admissions by variant be redacted in the SAGE modelling subgroup latest analyses for step 4 of the roadmap?

The responses seem to indicate that the numbers were so tiny the individuals would be identifiable.

• VompVomp Posts: 36
    edited June 2021

Ireland:

More than 400,000 people who are waiting for a second dose of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine have been told they cannot travel abroad.

The “vaccine bonus” for those who are a month on from their first AstraZeneca jab does not involve foreign travel, the updated advice from the HSE has warned.

People in their 60s, and a significant number of those with underlying conditions, have been left waiting for a second dose of the vaccine, which will take at least eight weeks, but may be even longer for many.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/foreign-travel-ban-for-400000-with-only-one-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-40539824.html

So it's Irexit then? The EU Digital Covid Certificate (which doesn't have to be digital) will allow EU citizens to travel throughout the EU with a negative test result. It won't require vaccination. The link on "HSE" in that Independent article just goes to an index of other Independent articles.

This is what marchers should be demanding: Britain signing up to the DCC or introducing a fully compatible equivalent. Interesting that it's due to become operational on 19 July.

London seems like a desert without visitors from EU countries.
    edited June 2021

Sandpit said:

Pulse of 89 a bit high, blood O2 of 89 too low - seek medical attention.
    Or take several readings to double check. Did you try it when you first got it & remember what the results were?

I find my pulse varies depending on what I've been doing but O2 is 97-99 whenever.

Sandpit said:

Hmm. Are you sure? Normally mine is in the 90 to 95 range. Maybe the thing to do is buy another one from a different maker in case mine is wrongly calibrated. This would be easier if I could remember what the gadgets are called.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Where we were when PHE declared Delta a VOC:

Delta:

Alpha:

Having looked at the dates, it seems pretty obvious to me that the government applied the wrong test.

it acted quickly once Delta was a VOC, but India had seen cases soaring well before then. The government was tracking a group of variants, but was dependent on imperfect information out of India.

It therefore succeeded in its own terms, whilst also contributing to Delta becoming a problem in the UK.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. kinabalu, you can't compel people to apply for jobs or to be the best candidates.

Right now we have more female than male nurses and doctors. And we have a disproportionately high number of non-white doctors.

That isn't a problem. Or a bad thing. Hiring men or white people to even up the scales and basing employment on demography rather than competence is dumb.

So what if a group isn't representative? I've never had a white GP. Does that matter? No.

The police is there to do a job impartially, not to act as the living embodiment of the country's demographic composition.
    edited June 2021

Savanna ComRes

Who is to blame for the delay

The public 28%

HMG 23%

Both 38%

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1404760038577672196?s=19

Masochism is clearly a great deal more popular in the UK than previously realised.
    No10 suggests Andrew Lloyd Webber could benefit from an events research pilot for his show Cinderella. Asked if this is favouritism to a former Tory peer: "No, absolutely not, like I say the aim of the events pilot is to bring together a variety of different settings."

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1404784897156333568

Sandpit said:

Hmm. Are you sure? Normally mine is in the 90 to 95 range. Maybe the thing to do is buy another one from a different maker in case mine is wrongly calibrated. This would be easier if I could remember what the gadgets are called.
    Pulse oximeter:

https://www.healthline.com/health/normal-blood-oxygen-level
  • VompVomp Posts: 36
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Savanna ComRes

The public 28%

HMG 23%

Both 38%

Masochism is clearly a great deal more popular in the UK than previously realised.
    Got to see the funny side in asking in one and the same poll whether people support the delay (getting lots of yeses) and then asking who they think is to "blame" (with lots of fingers pointed at "the public"). They could do a followup with a different respondent set asking to whom we should be grateful. Is there a word for a combination pompom and brickbat?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

Savanna ComRes

The public 28%

HMG 23%

Both 38%

Ironically it's actually the polls that are to blame. If yougov found a majority wanted an end of lockdown we'd be free by teatime.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706

The top 5 UK exports to Australia are machinery, pharmaceuticals, vehicles, precious stones and metals and optical and medical apparatus
    https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/imports/united-kingdom
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Scott_xP said:

No we should give it the prominence it deserves. Time to stop treating the public like idiots. The Red Bus showed SOME people will buy any old bullshit. It ill behoves a government to do the same
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    Swedish cider company Kopparberg has suspended all their GB News advertising after a Twitter user complained they’d hosted Nigel Farage as a guest. Nivea has also apparently announced a boycott.
    Scott_xP said:

Great find - these quotas are HUGE: rising to much more than half UK beef imports, and higher than historic peak - 1959 - of Australian beef imports to the UK. Lamb similar. Effectively no limits. @EdConwaySky

https://twitter.com/DEHEdgerton/status/1404782791410192387

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1404778797078134788

Truss on R4 suggested that Oz beef imports will likely substitute EU beef imports (tough luck, Ireland...)

Swedish cider company Kopparberg has suspended all their GB News advertising after a Twitter user complained they’d hosted Nigel Farage as a guest. Nivea has also apparently announced a boycott.

WTAF?

Presumably on those grounds they don't advertise on C4, ITV or Sky already too?
    Mr. Urquhart, not watched GB News (saw a few minutes only) but chasing companies and trying to get them to pull ads is creepy behaviour.

WTAF?

And I presume UKTV....which the BBC owns a 100% of....
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

WTAF?

Dissenting voices will not be allowed
    Andy_JS said:

Savanna ComRes

The public 28%

HMG 23%

Both 38%

The most important thing when it comes to masochism/hiring a dominatrix or dominatrices is to choose a good safe word.

Don't choose 'mower' because that ends up sounding like 'more'.

The best safe word is 'Meatloaf' because you're telling the other person 'I'd do anything for love but I won't do that.'

Also never date a dominatrix, when you're tired and you tell them 'it's time to hit the sack', boy did I learn that lesson the hard way
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,261
    Andy_JS said:

Savanna ComRes

The public 28%

HMG 23%

Both 38%

Worth noting that opinion is much the same in all age ranges - the idea suggested here by some that young people are chafing at the delay being imposed by old people seems (in the aggregate) to be wrong.

I’m gonna try to read the detail on the U.K.-Aus deal before passing any comment.

In principles, deals are good.
    We need as many as possible.

In practice, there was an obvious divide inside Cabinet between Eustace/Gove vs Truss/Johnson based largely on the resultant prospects for the UK’s own (and importantly Scottish, Welsh, Irish) producers.

Will be interesting to see who “won”.

Farmers mostly voted for Brexit, if there is sucking up to do, then they will have to do it I’m afraid.

The genuine evidence on whether farmers "mostly" voted for Brexit is unclear. It depends on what survey/poll you want to believe, but it is a myth that they were "mostly" Brexity, largely driven by a poll done by Farmers Weekly that was self selecting and therefore voodoo. This is a good article on the subject:

https://westcountrybylines.co.uk/challenging-the-myth-that-farmers-voted-for-brexit-and-therefore-deserve-whats-coming-to-them/
    I think there is probably more myth in the creative construction of "what's coming to them".

Subdisies are already being pivoted (more slowly devolved administrations) away from food production to environmental care, which will make quite a difference.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Floater said:

WTAF?

The way things are going there will have to be a "boycott the boycotters" campaign. In terms of public sentiment the boycotters would lose if this were to happen.

boy did I learn that lesson the hard way

Is that not the whole point???
    edited June 2021
    354,331 vaccinations in 🇬🇧 yesterday (ex NI)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 114,606 1st doses / 174,262 2nd doses
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 13,793 / 23,347
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 2,072 / 26,251

NI has been having data processing issues so I've left them out, Scotland may also be an undercount because of similar issues.

Should I even bother giving my opinion of this number...I think everybody knows what it is.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I am sorry ...
    You're right.

In the era of the internet, data on undersea cables travelling at the speed of light is already capable of travelling 300,000 km per second.

So it takes approximately 1/20th of a second for data to reach Australia from the UK.

Starlink!
    Scott_xP said:

boy did I learn that lesson the hard way

Is that not the whole point???
    Yes but not when I wanted to go to sleep.
    edited June 2021
    FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I am sorry ...
    It's interesting in these situations to see what the other parties are saying. Apparently there are four potential joiners: South Korea (view from PacRim: slam dunk);Taiwan (very sympathetic, under normal circumstances an ideal member, but with the Chinese politics may end up in the too difficult basket); USA (gamechanger if it happens, not holding breath); UK (not sure what that's about, but kind of flattering that they are thinking of this).

To be clear I am in favour of nice-to-have treaties with Australia etc as long as you don't lose sight of what really matters. And that's in Europe. We have lost 20% of our EU trade since leaving several months ago and 10% of our total trade. It's worse than that, actually, because we are also missing out on investment on a slower burn. Big issues in Northern Ireland as well. This is where the tyre hits the road and where we need to focus our attention.
    I agree. There's so much baloney on this subject. These trade deals with farflung parts of the world - when not just replacing what we had via the EU anyway - are mainly about symbolism rather than wealth creation. Part of the Brexit proposition was "world's our oyster" as evidenced by loads of trade deals, so loads of trade deals is what we will now have to have. So I think the reason we're seeking them out and signing them has little to do with expected impact on GDP. The reason is much simpler than that. It's so they can be announced.

Hate to be so cynical - it doesn't come naturally to me - but there you go. It's my honest take.
    Why "Trade Deals" are about more than just "trade":

Expansion of Working Holiday scheme is one of the most significant elements of the UK-AU free trade deal. Makes it much more feasible for young professional Aussies to settle in the UK & vice versa. An immigration provision sidestepping UK's tied hands on mobility in trade deals.

https://twitter.com/sophgaston/status/1404758913355063301?s=20

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I am sorry ...
    You're right.

During two decades working for global tech, I used to have a table showing network latency between countries. Once I asked management chasing performance whether they wanted us to shrink the Atlantic or increase the speed of light. Can't think why I never got promoted.

This is one reason companies use CDNs, whose occasional failure can shut down large parts of the internet. Rather than pay to duplicate server infrastructure all round the world, Dunny-on-the-Wold borough council can pay a CDN to cache content in America, China, Australia and so on, so that Chinese would-be tourists get a fast response. (Other reasons for using CDNs are available but we are drifting off-topic for pb.)

Sandpit said:

Healthy should be above 95% in general. How is your CV health? But yes, might be worth checking other devices.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    edited June 2021
    maaarsh said:

Like many countries, New Zealand has wonderful landscapes.

Yet it is remarkably dull place to live.

Andy_JS said:

Savanna ComRes

The public 28%

HMG 23%

Both 38%

Worth noting that opinion is much the same in all age ranges - the idea suggested here by some that young people are chafing at the delay being imposed by old people seems (in the aggregate) to be wrong.
    People like restrictions ON OTHER PEOPLE.

I have just spoken to my bride friend, who was given false hope yesterday by Boris. She is now having to reduce her wedding size from 130 to 75 because of ludicrous social distancing rules. Her bridesmaids have to wear masks. There can be no dancing. Her wedding is in a fortnight and she was promised a decision on 24 May, now has to go ahead and cannot postpone again without a huge financial penalty.

She has been in tears all day as she has now got to tell 55 people they cannot attend.

However, you will continue to defend this nonsense.

They offered him the most money?

They are paying Amazon $114m US dollars to host the TV series there...
    https://qz.com/1997678/amazon-is-spending-a-fortune-on-lord-of-the-rings-in-new-zealand/
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

No we should give it the prominence it deserves. Time to stop treating the public like idiots. The Red Bus showed SOME people will buy any old bullshit. It ill behoves a government to do the same
    Also applies to trade to the EU. Some behaved before the'deal' as if no deal meant no trade, rather than the possible imposition of tariffs.

The power of the free market! I'm sure GB News would approve (at least in the general case).

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    why would this figure of hospital admissions by variant be redacted in the SAGE modelling subgroup latest analyses for step 4 of the roadmap?

The responses seem to indicate that the numbers were so tiny the individuals would be identifiable.

Some of the respondents to that thread are serious nutters. The zerocovidians outdo even the antivaxxers on the conspiracy theory front.

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Also applies to trade to the EU. Some behaved before the'deal' as if no deal meant no trade, rather than the possible imposition of tariffs.
    Roger thinks that EU membership added 47% to our GDP, which means our GDP should drop this year by 33% since we're no longer in the EU.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 13,793 / 23,347
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 2,072 / 26,251

NI has been having data processing issues so I've left them out, Scotland may also be an undercount because of similar issues.

Should I even bother giving my opinion of this number...I think everybody knows what it is.

I'll do it for you.

PISSPOOR.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952

Scott_xP said:

- British farming will be dismantled over 15 years, not killed off immediately.

Right well that guy isn't stark raving mad and shouing his bias.

I wonder what attracts you to these religious zealots who worship at the altar of the EU? Oh wait.
    Looking forward to Scott_P posting Australia deal versus loss of trade by EU into UK. On the same scale.....
    edited June 2021
    Vomp said:

Ireland:

So it's Irexit then? The EU Digital Covid Certificate (which doesn't have to be digital) will allow EU citizens to travel throughout the EU with a negative test result. It won't require vaccination. The link on "HSE" in that Independent article just goes to an index of other Independent articles.

This is what marchers should be demanding: Britain signing up to the DCC or introducing a fully compatible equivalent. Interesting that it's due to become operational on 19 July.

With Delta about to hit, the encouragement to allow non-vaccinated the run of Schengen from July 1 (unless it has changed) is deranged.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 13,793 / 23,347
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 2,072 / 26,251

I'll do it for you.

PISSPOOR.

My understanding is within all the docs that were released yesterday SAGE were working on the presumption it will slow further over the coming weeks.

Andy_JS said:

Savanna ComRes

The public 28%

HMG 23%

Both 38%

The most important thing when it comes to masochism/hiring a dominatrix or dominatrices is to choose a good safe word.

Don't choose 'mower' because that ends up sounding like 'more'.

The best safe word is 'Meatloaf' because you're telling the other person 'I'd do anything for love but I won't do that.'

Also never date a dominatrix, when you're tired and you tell them 'it's time to hit the sack', boy did I learn that lesson the hard way
    I vaguely recall an old documentary about Soho, and a dominatrix explaining that most of her gentleman clients did not really want to be hurt. They thought they did, but they didn't, and it was all about the ritual.
    As an aside, trying to scare off companies for advertising with GB News isn't exactly harming the suggestion that other news stations are all thinking the same way and that an alternative perspective might be needed.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I am sorry ...
    You're right.

Is that how lamb chops are going to get here then? Via the Internet Of Things?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879

Mr. kinabalu, you can't compel people to apply for jobs or to be the best candidates.

Right now we have more female than male nurses and doctors. And we have a disproportionately high number of non-white doctors.

That isn't a problem. Or a bad thing. Hiring men or white people to even up the scales and basing employment on demography rather than competence is dumb.

So what if a group isn't representative? I've never had a white GP. Does that matter? No.

The police is there to do a job impartially, not to act as the living embodiment of the country's demographic composition.

I think it is a problem when police force doesnt include certain communities. Makes it much harder for police to gain trust, which is really important.

There's been efforts to raise number of Catholics in N. Ireland police for ages.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

WTAF?

The way things are going there will have to be a "boycott the boycotters" campaign. In terms of public sentiment the boycotters would lose if this were to happen.
    Whilst I hadn't mentioned that I had decided not to purchase anything from them in view of their stance
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    kinabalu said:

Mrs Foxy has rather taken to GBNews as carcrash television at its finest. Alex Phillips was struggling to keep a straight face yesterday, it seems.
    MattW said:

Vomp said:

Ireland:

With Delta about to hit, the EU requirement to allow non-vaccinated the run of Schengen from July 1 is deranged.
    It is deranged as Carthage deciding to attack Rome, what do they expect the response to be? Even worse they put that loser Hannibal in charge.

Ursula von der Leyen = Hannibal
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

It's even better than that.

A twitter user congratulated them for not bowing to left wing pressure, and they responded by saying thank you for bringing this to our attention, we have immediately suspended all advertising with them pending an investigation.
This discussion has been closed.