Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This is why Friday was National Fish and Chips Day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414
    Alistair said:

Little Chefs are brilliant.

WERE brilliant. The brand has been defunct since 2018.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,575
    isam said:

DougSeal said:

Congratulations to the happy couple.

BABY NEWS: Harry and Meghan’s baby girl has arrived. She’s called Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1401569722336940032

Congratulations, and that name is just trying a bit too hard.

It'd be like me declaring a fatwa and launching a intifada against this site and calling my next son Mike Robert TSE Royale.
    Short price for the first criticism of choice of name!
    Yeah, but I mean COME ON.

"Lilibet" Diana?

I wish the kid all the best, but it's nauseating.
    Absolutely, because no parent has ever named their sprog after family members.

I mean the Queen has the same name as her mother.
    Lilibet is an affectionate (and private) family nickname for the Queen.

It's shameless self aggrandisement.
    It’s not really that private. Everyone knows about it. Maybe it’s an attempt to mend fences? Who knows or, at this point, cares.
    We all know the nickname but it's very private and personal to HMQ.

That's why no-one uses it except her very closest family.
    And Peter Townsend in The Crown! Sealed his fate
    Who? (I know, that's a Pete Townshend joke).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,322

kinabalu said:

Boris Johnson vs. Keir Starmer (31 May):

Who best embodies ‘stands up for the interests of the UK’?

Johnson: 49% (+3)
    Starmer: 27% (-2)

Changes +/- 24 May

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1401550745971871746?s=20

Absolutely inexplicable to me. Are people impressed by that new ship or something? I'd love to meet some of these respondents and get a handle on what's going on in their heads. Make them comfortable on a couch and encourage them to tell me all about it. And I'd just listen.
    Fairly straightforward.

Brexit backers: 80%+ will go Johnson
    ex-Remainers: 50% Starmer, 35% no view, 15% Johnson

Brexit has to fail or the economy tank (obviously closely related) to change those numbers much.
    Yes I share that analysis. Johnson owns Leave but Starmer doesn't own Remain. And Leave is also bigger than Remain in FPTP terms. Such is the mountain. A different Labour leader probably wouldn't make much difference either. This is largely structural.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

rcs1000 said:

The French eat all.kill kinds of filthy food
    No.lessons from the frogs(legs) thank-you.

Our first cultural day out post lockdown. Music from the shows at Chichester Festival theatrel.

It pains me to say this but the French produce better food than us Brits.

They have the Michelin Guide, we have Wetherspoons, the deep fried Mars bar, and Little Chefs.
    While that was true 30 years ago, I'm not sure it's true today.

Britain has had a bit of a food revolution, with the quality of cuisine in gastropubs and the number of truly world class restaurants having increased markedly.

This doesn't mean you can't eat sensationally well in France (see Guy Savoy in Paris), but in general, small town French restaurants have gone backwards, while the UK has done nothing but improve.
    Isn't that what a former PBer has been telling us for years ?

Would you be taking your gastronomic opinions from Mr T ?
    One doesn't need to listen to MrT to see the rise in the number of British restaurants ranked among the world's elite.

When I was 19 years old, my parents took me to a restaurant called Tante Claire in London. At the time, it was one of just two Michelin Three Star restaraunts in the whole of the UK (along with the Waterside Inn).

There's now seven or eight (I don't know whether Araki is still on the list).

There's been a similar growth in the number of two and one star restaurants.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Alistair said:

When the revolution comes....
    They're doing the catering and supply lines? Jesus.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

isam said:

BABY NEWS: Harry and Meghan’s baby girl has arrived. She’s called Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor.

It'd be like me declaring a fatwa and launching a intifada against this site and calling my next son Mike Robert TSE Royale.

"Lilibet" Diana?

Nice idea from them, but I don’t like nicknames as the official name for kids really. Elizabeth known as ‘Lilibet’ would have been nicer, but then again maybe that’s just me being old fashioned.

Who cares what the Queen is called in private? Who cares what anyone is called in private? The determination to peek inside one family’s life is completely bizarre.
    I've always felt that M'lud with a doff of the cap was acceptable to the 'My Lord' I usually would require.

Harry really needs to stop this crap or do a DNA test.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,131
    Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

Why do I get the feeling no matter what they named their daughter you and the Mail would have been complaining.

If they picked a modern name you'd be saying it was hopelessly woke.
    Christabel Germaine Winnie would have been great.
    Add in Brenda and we would have had perfection.
    Well I'm happy that Meghan has had a healthy baby girl. I do think the name is a bit insulting to the queen tbh though.
    Yup, I agree with that sentiment, first and foremost glad the baby is healthy but the name. They really are awful
    Royal names are never given in the diminutive - Lilibet's father is officially Henry Charles Albert David on the records.
    Personally I think Alex or Mary would have been a better nod to the queen.
    Who cares?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,989

isam said:

DougSeal said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

It’s not really that private. Everyone knows about it. Maybe it’s an attempt to mend fences? Who knows or, at this point, cares.

And Peter Townsend in The Crown! Sealed his fate
    Who? (I know, that's a Pete Townshend joke).
    I’ve fallen into these traps before and I won’t get fooled again!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,990
    isam said:

Much more important than the name of some offspring, I reckon England cricket has taken a turn for the worse today. If I was at Lords I'd be pretty pissed off and maybe booing. A very generous declaration from NZ, but no effort by England to get the runs before shutting up shop. They could have sought to rotate the strike for the first 30 overs or so, then had a dash, before defending if wickets were lost. You don't need big hitters to get a target of less than 4 an over.

My other major complaint is the over rate in all form of cricket these days. When I was a lad, 20 overs an hour was the norm. Not this constant fiddling with the field, and drinks breaks. Poor value for money now.

Yes, pretty poor show from England
    There's just no appropriate punishment for poor over rates. 5 runs added to the opponent's score for each deemed slow over would soon cut it out.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Alistair said:

That surely has to result in banishment to Conservative Home for a month, no 6 months!!!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,131
    Omnium said:

isam said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

Nice idea from them, but I don’t like nicknames as the official name for kids really. Elizabeth known as ‘Lilibet’ would have been nicer, but then again maybe that’s just me being old fashioned.

Who cares what the Queen is called in private? Who cares what anyone is called in private? The determination to peek inside one family’s life is completely bizarre.
    I've always felt that M'lud with a doff of the cap was acceptable to the 'My Lord' I usually would require.

The obsession with one family you have never met is beyond bizarre.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Our first cultural day out post lockdown. Music from the shows at Chichester Festival theatrel.

They have the Michelin Guide, we have Wetherspoons, the deep fried Mars bar, and Little Chefs.

Britain has had a bit of a food revolution, with the quality of cuisine in gastropubs and the number of truly world class restaurants having increased markedly.

This doesn't mean you can't eat sensationally well in France (see Guy Savoy in Paris), but in general, small town French restaurants have gone backwards, while the UK has done nothing but improve.

One doesn't need to listen to MrT to see the rise in the number of British restaurants ranked among the world's elite.

When I was 19 years old, my parents took me to a restaurant called Tante Claire in London. At the time, it was one of just two Michelin Three Star restaraunts in the whole of the UK (along with the Waterside Inn).

Actually, having researched it, I think Tante Claire only had two stars when I went there in '93/'94.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Much more important than the name of some offspring, I reckon England cricket has taken a turn for the worse today. If I was at Lords I'd be pretty pissed off and maybe booing. A very generous declaration from NZ, but no effort by England to get the runs before shutting up shop. They could have sought to rotate the strike for the first 30 overs or so, then had a dash, before defending if wickets were lost. You don't need big hitters to get a target of less than 4 an over.

My other major complaint is the over rate in all form of cricket these days. When I was a lad, 20 overs an hour was the norm. Not this constant fiddling with the field, and drinks breaks. Poor value for money now.

There's just no appropriate punishment for poor over rates. 5 runs added to the opponent's score for each deemed slow over would soon cut it out.
    How about, however many overs you are short for the first innings, those who bowled cannot bowl in the second innings until after that number of overs in the second innings?

EDIT: The five who bowled the most overs to prevent everyone having a bowl in the first innings.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,863
    If they really wanted to piss off the rest of the family they could have gone for Jamie-Diana.....
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,523
    That's better. They are calling her Lili, with Lilibet reserved for the birth certificate.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,350
    Why did he bother to review that? It was deader than Corbyn’s career.
  • Options
    Michael Vaughan

Former England captain on BBC Test Match Special

I would think Ollie Robinson would miss out at Edgbaston with some disciplinary action. I think it's the right decision. Potentially Olly Stone will come in for Mark Wood and Jack Leach will come in. It wouldn't surprise me, either, if Craig Overton played for one of Broad or Anderson.

----

So they are going to ban Robinson for something he did 10 years ago, but pick somebody who got done for making racist comments of batsmen.
  • Options

Alistair said:

That surely has to result in banishment to Conservative Home for a month, no 6 months!!!
    \Senetence commuted: Little Chefs have been defunct since 2018.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    edited June 2021

Edit - I shall of course withdraw all this if England score 140 off the last 20 overs. Likely chance.

This was perhaps the most depressing England batting display I've seen:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/pakistan-tour-of-england-2001-61459/england-vs-pakistan-2nd-test-63933/full-scorecard

200 more needed from the last two sessions with 9 wickets in hand, didn't go for the runs, still lost.

All the more disappointing as they had chased down a total in the Karachi dark a few months earlier:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-tour-of-pakistan-2000-01-61759/pakistan-vs-england-3rd-test-63901/full-scorecard
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999

Michael Vaughan

I would think Ollie Robinson would miss out at Edgbaston with some disciplinary action. I think it's the right decision. Potentially Olly Stone will come in for Mark Wood and Jack Leach will come in. It wouldn't surprise me, either, if Craig Overton played for one of Broad or Anderson.

----

So they are going to ban Robinson for something he did 10 years ago, but pick somebody who got done for making racist comments of batsmen.

If it was something done before someone was playing not just for them but for any professional team, then is it really disciplinary action? It's punitive action, certainly, but it's not disciplinary. I can see such action being appropriate in theory, but after such a length of time with, it appears, not recent repeat? Come on.
  • Options

Michael Vaughan

----

Which has nothing whatever to do with the English hierarchy’s great reluctance to take Robinson to Australia where they believe he won’t be effective, despite the fact Jason Gillespie thought otherwise and when he played for England Lions in Oz he took seven wickets.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Tainte Claire is a place I've not visited for ages. It used to be great. I stopped going because I chose to buy dinner for a French chap that turned up without a tie - they insisted that he had one of theirs. I might be wrong in my recollection, but I'm sure I'd have visited again otherwise.

My guest (the French chap) was uncomfortable throughout the evening and as such basically not only ruined, but went against the whole point of the dinner. It was an unconscionable tie that they lent him.

The big London restaurant is, in my view, on the decline. And precisely for this sort of crap.

I'd like to tell you of the best places, but those I suspect I can't get a booking :)

• Options
    edited June 2021

Michael Vaughan

----

Ollie Robinson is 42 - 11 - 101 - 7 for the match, aside from Burns he's been our best player.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

kle4 said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

Why do I get the feeling no matter what they named their daughter you and the Mail would have been complaining.

If they picked a modern name you'd be saying it was hopelessly woke.
    How remiss of them not to get approval from the pb reactionaries before finalising the name, how will they ever recover?
    It's just gauche, like naming a boy 'Dick 'Dicky' Smith' - with the added sting that 'Dick' was the cherished nickname of the family patriarch in whose face you'd been spitting at every opportunity. Sad to instrumentalize their own child like that.
    People really need to chill the heck out.

'Gauche instrumentalising' really? Even if it was, is throwing hissy fits on behalf of the Queen, who for all we know is delighted, a rational reaction?
    No intention of being the Queen's spokesman; it just strikes me as a thoroughly avoidable lapse of taste and decorum. The fact that they were either unwilling or unable to avoid it rather symbolizes why their relationship to the rest of the family has become as fraught as it is.
    They weren't unwilling or unable to avoid it. They went out of their way to create an utterly tasteless portmanteau name. Lucky she's been born in to money with parents as daft as that.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

How about, however many overs you are short for the first innings, those who bowled cannot bowl in the second innings until after that number of overs in the second innings?

EDIT: The five who bowled the most overs to prevent everyone having a bowl in the first innings.
    30 overs a session requirement - if they're slow then the intervals are reduced.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,566
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Tainte Claire is a place I've not visited for ages. It used to be great. I stopped going because I chose to buy dinner for a French chap that turned up without a tie - they insisted that he had one of theirs. I might be wrong in my recollection, but I'm sure I'd have visited again otherwise.

My guest (the French chap) was uncomfortable throughout the evening and as such basically not only ruined, but went against the whole point of the dinner. It was an unconscionable tie that they lent him.

The big London restaurant is, in my view, on the decline. And precisely for this sort of crap.

I'd like to tell you of the best places, but those I suspect I can't get a booking :)

The Glasshouse at Kew is well worth a visit, if you are in London
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I’ve never got particularly worked up about slow over rates, except where clearly being used as a deliberate, and blatant ploy in specific match situations (a run chase, or declaration period). Complaints and suggested “solutions” also tend to ignore the extent to which batting teams and yes, even the umpires, often contribute to what’s happening. Things like DRS etc do also make a significant difference to cricket of the distant past. Clamping down too hard can often even undermine the spectator experience, when captains start bringing on part-timers to race through the overs, when the match situation might otherwise be quite interesting.

I also people often are far too apt to use the phrase “spectators aren’t getting their money’s worth” (implying they should get money back) without fully acknowledging why this will always be a non-starter - basically accept the principle that people are paying to see a set number of overs and you open the door to refunds for any pay lost to bad weather etc.

I think also the role of the TV companies in wanting breaks in play to show their advertising etc is usually overlooked.

So basically it’s all a big conspiracy, not just the “fault” of fielding sides.
  • Options

Edit - I shall of course withdraw all this if England score 140 off the last 20 overs. Likely chance.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/pakistan-tour-of-england-2001-61459/england-vs-pakistan-2nd-test-63933/full-scorecard

200 more needed from the last two sessions with 9 wickets in hand, didn't go for the runs, still lost.

All the more disappointing as they had chased down a total in the Karachi dark a few months earlier:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-tour-of-pakistan-2000-01-61759/pakistan-vs-england-3rd-test-63901/full-scorecard
    Admittedly, four of the wickets should have been no balls.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Tante Claire closed about 15 years ago!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Wow, people here are seriously complaining about someone naming their child after the child's great grandmother and late grandmother?

Wow. Even for the scraping of the barrel hatred this couple attracts for no sane reason, that is low.
  • Options

Speaking of nicknames, does anybody else have a problem with using them to people? I hate nicknames and believe Brian Clough used to as well for example.

At work, a couple of people like to be called their initials and especially this I refuse to engage in .

I don't care for them. I started smoking very young and at school was called Woodbine. Once they stick they stick. It wasn't terrible - in fact it lessened the isolating effect of my relentless top grades - but I'd have preferred my actual given name. And my parents didn't like it, especially my mum.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Wow, people here are seriously complaining about someone naming their child after the child's great grandmother and late grandmother?

Wow. Even for the scraping of the barrel hatred this couple attracts for no sane reason, that is low.

Twit.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

30 overs a session requirement - if they're slow then the intervals are reduced.
    but only for the bowling side . Batsmen should still be able to have lunch
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Omnium said:

For those of us who don't frequent Michelin restaurants, it's fair to say there has been a huge improvement in the quality of food out there. Even in my part of London, there are plenty of good places to eat (and some bad ones as well to be fair).

Pub food, as others have said, has undergone a revolution and there are some extremely good meals to be had at some of London's suburban pubs (a shameless plug for the Cuckfield at Wanstead).
  • Options

DougSeal said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

You come over to me as somebody who would challenge another man to a duel.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

There was little or no risk in the Karachi match - there were always going to be able to go off for the light if they lost wickets.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

Swords or pistols?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

The session after tea is always the longest so that wouldn't work.
    An uninterrupted test should be 450 overs (90 overs per day, 5 days); 6 hours of playtime / day @ 15 overs per hour = an over every 4 minutes of playing time. If there are rain delays then the 4 minutes / over of active play time should still stand.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

There was little or no risk in the Karachi match - there were always going to be able to go off for the light if they lost wickets.
    I was thinking of the second Test at Manchester. Saqlain Mushtaq bowled several no balls that even Mohammed Asif would have blinked at, all of them missed by the umpire and four of which took wickets.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Everyone loves a good sandwich. It is so satisfying, coherent, simple, yet fantastically open to variation

Except the Nordics who failed to grasp the single most important element...
    Or the Yanks, who don’t use butter.
    Eh?

Maybe it's a California thing, but my local (excellent) sandwich place (Mendocino Farms) does in fact use butter.
    My experience is that Americans cover lots of things, certainly including sandwiches, in heavily salted butter.
    Marlon Brando springs to mind.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Must have ran out of unconscionable ties to lend to scruffs
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Must have ran out of unconscionable ties to lend to scruffs
    They sold it to Gordon Ramsay, so the whole establishment would have been a low class dive after that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

An uninterrupted test should be 450 overs (90 overs per day, 5 days); 6 hours of playtime / day @ 15 overs per hour = an over every 4 minutes of playing time. If there are rain delays then the 4 minutes / over of active play time should still stand.
    Have you ever been to a Lords test? For many of the spectators the intervals aren’t long enough! The thing is that many people just see a test match as a day out. It’s not just watching 90 overs of cricket.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Boris Johnson vs. Keir Starmer (31 May):

Who best embodies ‘stands up for the interests of the UK’?

Johnson: 49% (+3)
    Starmer: 27% (-2)

Changes +/- 24 May

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1401550745971871746?s=20

And I'd just listen.
    That would be a start....
    ☺ - 👂👂👂
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,569
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

I was thinking of the second Test at Manchester. Saqlain Mushtaq bowled several no balls that even Mohammed Asif would have blinked at, all of them missed by the umpire and four of which took wickets.
    Not just any umpire, David Shepherd.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    stodge said:

Omnium said:

For those of us who don't frequent Michelin restaurants, it's fair to say there has been a huge improvement in the quality of food out there. Even in my part of London, there are plenty of good places to eat (and some bad ones as well to be fair).

Pub food, as others have said, has undergone a revolution and there are some extremely good meals to be had at some of London's suburban pubs (a shameless plug for the Cuckfield at Wanstead).
    And in Millom, of course, where even the waitresses are highly experienced criminal lawyers and the food is exquisite.

(Please make the cheque out to Y Doethur, Cyclefree.)
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I’ve never got particularly worked up about slow over rates, except where clearly being used as a deliberate, and blatant ploy in specific match situations (a run chase, or declaration period). Complaints and suggested “solutions” also tend to ignore the extent to which batting teams and yes, even the umpires, often contribute to what’s happening. Things like DRS etc do also make a significant difference to cricket of the distant past. Clamping down too hard can often even undermine the spectator experience, when captains start bringing on part-timers to race through the overs, when the match situation might otherwise be quite interesting.

I also people often are far too apt to use the phrase “spectators aren’t getting their money’s worth” (implying they should get money back) without fully acknowledging why this will always be a non-starter - basically accept the principle that people are paying to see a set number of overs and you open the door to refunds for any pay lost to bad weather etc.

I think also the role of the TV companies in wanting breaks in play to show their advertising etc is usually overlooked.

15 overs an hour is not particularly quick, and yes it is the fault of the fielding side 90% of the time. To name names, Stuart Broad is particularly bad for constantly resetting fields and taking an age to get through his overs.
    The third umpire can 'stop the clock' for DRS reviews and so forth, there's an extra half hour for 'stuff' built in and a change of innings is known to cost 2 overs.
  • Options

Omnium said:

isam said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

You individually telling two dozen people that no one but them is interested in a topic is one of my fav PB things
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    edited June 2021
    stodge said:

Omnium said:

If you look for Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurants you’ll find very good food without the “consommé of chefs tears, sputum and curdled semen” at the 3* places. They cook for you not for the chef’s ego.

Anyone who thinks that France is the start and finish of good restaurants is living in the past. FWIW I used to live in Paris (in the 18th and work at place du Marche St. Honore) so this isn’t just sub-Telegraph “all French are evil”.

See eg: https://guide.michelin.com/gb/en/greater-london/london/restaurant/provender
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    Good British food:

Cheddar Cheese, Apple Crumble, Coronation Chicken, Mrs King’s Pork Pies, Roast Beef and Horseradish Sandwiches, Stilton, Cumberland Sausage, Marmalade, Dover Sole, Clotted Cream and Jam Scones, Haggis, Stout, Rhubarb and Custard, Chips, Chips, Chips, Bakewell Tart etc etc etc etc

Obviously we cannot compete with French, Italian and Japanese which are all God Tier.

It is still not possible to dine “serendipitously” outside of London, like it is in France.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Omnium said:

99.9% of the food I ever eat is not flash. I like baked beans on toast. Admittedly I might add some Tabasco sauce to the beans and be slightly fussy about the bread that I toast.

Even at the height of expense accounts I'd guess that 99% of what I ate was simple food.

Just once in a while though the expense is rewarded by really good food.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

A rare dud test from him.

Edit - from his obituary:

At Old Trafford in 2001, Shepherd had a rare bad match against Pakistan, missing at least two no-balls that took wickets. He was so upset he tried to resign, and also forgot to skip on 333. That, he concluded, was responsible for a small earthquake off the North Devon coast.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/david-shepherd-473023
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    1-0 England

Rashford (pen)
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Good British food:

Cheddar Cheese, Apple Crumble, Coronation Chicken, Mrs King’s Pork Pies, Roast Beef and Horseradish Sandwiches, Stilton, Cumberland Sausage, Marmalade, Dover Sole, Clotted Cream and Jam Scones, Haggis, Stout, Rhubarb and Custard, Chips, Chips, Chips, Bakewell Tart etc etc etc etc

Obviously we cannot compete with French, Italian and Japanese which are all God Tier.

It is still not possible to dine “serendipitously” outside of London, like it is in France.

..Branston Pickle
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

A rare dud test from him.
    The thing was the third umpire repeatedly told Shepherd that the Pakistani spinners were bowling massive no balls and to keep an eye on it throughout that final day.
  • Options

Good British food:

French food is on the slide, it's just as easy to get a poor meal there as here.
  • Options
    Grealish best player in the two matches.....bet he warms the bench for most games.
  • Options
    England actually score a penalty!
  • Options

Couldn't believe they didn't go for it.
  • Options
    On Friday, when it was raining at Lords, they showed highlights of a Test match from 1999, and there was an England player I had never heard of playing. I am a relative anorak on cricket and couldn’t believe what I was seeing or hearing. I’d never heard of him as a county player even, let alone ‘I didn’t realise he’d played for England’

Anyone guess the player?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

isam said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

There was a great story about HM the Q and the Duke of Edinburgh going to a school for deaf children. The Queen had a wonderful time and was running late. The Duke leaned into her and said something. The children all roared with laughter - he had forgotten they could all lip read.

What they had learned was his nickname for the Queen, when he said "C'mon Cabbage, time to go...."
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,574
    @rcs1000

Yes, two undoubted good things about Britain in the last 20 years: real ale has been saved, and is more delicious and varied than ever, and our food is now outstanding.

God, I remember how bloody awful British food, drink and hotels were even in the 1990s. Never again.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Have you ever been to a Lords test? For many of the spectators the intervals aren’t long enough! The thing is that many people just see a test match as a day out. It’s not just watching 90 overs of cricket.
    Whilst i get that people dont necessarily come to watch a test to see 90 overs bowled and get pissed off because only 85 are , cricket has to be careful because if draws become more frequent due to slow over rates (or even too flat pitches) then test cricket will become pointless. Most spectators dont mind a thrilling draw due to batsman holding out or due to high scoring first innings (if not a result of a too dull pitch) but dont want to pay to see draws caused by slow over rates .
  • Options
    isam said:

On Friday, when it was raining at Lords, they showed highlights of a Test match from 1999, and there was an England player I had never heard of playing. I am a relative anorak on cricket and couldn’t believe what I was seeing or hearing. I’d never heard of him as a county player even, let alone ‘I didn’t realise he’d played for England’

Anyone guess the player?

Aftab Habib?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Good British food:

French food is on the slide, it's just as easy to get a poor meal there as here.
    I think it’s true it’s on the slide, but I disagree with your last statement. It is not “just as easy”.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

*slaps your face virtually with glove, and throws it theatrically to the floor*
  • Options
    isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Gavin Hamilton?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Good British food:

Compare what the French do with a fish soup to anything the British have ever done. Gods of food!

(To my mind this is a really weird difference. How can the recipe not have spread.)
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d14467f2-c564-11eb-a80c-dfb0d2172f4f?

Batley and Spen by-election: are Muslim voters the next brick to crumble in Labour’s red wall?

Full text:

https://old.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/ntiorb/batley_and_spen_byelection_are_muslim_voters_the/h0s80ra/

George Galloway puff piece, but if he does get above 10% then that's more of less Labour done and dusted, surely followed by him getting IDS'd.

However, if Labour want a leader from outside of London it's extremely slim pickings.

Milliband and Cooper weren't the answer back then, and both are likely to lose their seats as things stand. Jarvis and Lavery (ew) have a similar problem.

They're basically left with Nandy, who is just about safe, RLB, Rayner, Phillips, Reeves, and errrr Luke Pollard?

Losing Batley won't mean the end of SKS. He has a year to turn things around.
    Frankly it should do! I was perfectly content to give Starmer time to recover from the extended period during which normal party politics has been in abeyance. There was really nothing at all that he could have done to prevent the 'vacine bounce'.He has alienated me - bigtime - by gifting Labour seats to the Tories by calling unnecessary by elections at stupid times. It has really persuaded me that there is something seriously missing in him in terms of what is required of a party leader. His grasp of psephology appears to be minimal , and he has failed to surround himself with others who are much better informed. He might as well as left the timing of the by-elections to Johnson. Perhaps he is psephologically autistic.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    England missed penalty

Great save
  • Options
    isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Having looked it up, I can only guess Aftab Habib or Ed Giddins, though I hasten to add I remember both of their glorious contributions.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Aftab Habib?
    Yes.

Literally never heard of him. I wouldn’t have believed there was a test match player for England in the last 35 years that I wouldn’t have known

Had to rewind it about ten times to clock the name, then google
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Omnium said:

maaarsh said:

Good British food:

Compare what the French do with a fish soup to anything the British have ever done. Gods of food!

(To my mind this is a really weird difference. How can the recipe not have spread.)
    Cullen skink is a very decent fish soup if it is made properly.
  • Options

isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Gavin Hamilton?
    The other rather obscure player to play for England in 1999 was Peter Such (one test at Old Trafford, where he took an hour over scoring a duck).

I am assuming it’s not Ed Giddins who had a long and prominent career with Warwickshire and Sussex, or Darren Maddy, Leicestershire and later Warwickshire captain.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

i personally would move up steak and kidney pudding and relegate cauliflower cheese but apart from that in full agreement

steak and kidney pudding is horrible , it really needs the kidney replaced by sausages to be a real steak pie.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Good British food:

Vegan sausage roll

Obviously we cannot compete with French.

Snails and frogs' legs? Seriously?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Gavin Hamilton?
    The other rather obscure player to play for England in 1999 was Peter Such (one test at Old Trafford, where he took an hour over scoring a duck).

I am assuming it’s not Ed Giddins who had a long and prominent career with Warwickshire and Sussex, or Darren Maddy, Leicestershire and later Warwickshire captain.
    I wouldn't call Peter Such obscure.
  • Options
    I lost my phone today.

Really weird. I feel lost and listless; disconnected, like I've lost a limb. The closest feeling I can approximate it to is the early stages of a family bereavement.

Strange. This is a not a good thing. I don't want to feel this way about losing a frigging phone.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337

Good British food:

I presume this is just trying to get a reaction and you are not as stupid as you are pretending.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,705
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    edited June 2021

@rcs1000

Yes, two undoubted good things about Britain in the last 20 years: real ale has been saved, and is more delicious and varied than ever, and our food is now outstanding.

God, I remember how bloody awful British food, drink and hotels were even in the 1990s. Never again.

Its almost as if theme tunes for sport programmes is in inverse correlation to food at British eateries in terms of quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSP1E04zp5Y

Maybe all the country's theme tune talent retrained as chefs?
  • Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Aftab Habib?
    Yes.

Literally never heard of him. I wouldn’t have believed there was a test match player for England in the last 35 years that I wouldn’t have known
    Played for Leicestershire in their championship winning season of 1998, making 114 to beat Surrey and win the title in the final match. Called up on the strength of that when England needed more runs, failed and eventually finished his career as a spare part at Essex.
  • Options

Omnium said:

isam said:

"Lilibet" Diana?

When you say obsession then you'd suggest I've posted about them before I presume?

Try to find an example.

Turns out there are none. Hang your head.
  • Options

Good British food:

Good list, but I'm not sure how much you've travelled outside of London recently?

The food in Hampshire is very good to phenomenal in most places - it has to be, or they'd close - and that's also the case in Dorset, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall.

I wonder if there's a strange symbiosis going on here with the smoking ban and change in attitudes to drink-driving here - good food is almost the only way rural hostelries can now survive.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Gavin Hamilton?

I remember Such playing loads of Tests. Or were they ODIs? I remember him always looking as if he was in pain.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

15 overs an hour is not particularly quick, and yes it is the fault of the fielding side 90% of the time. To name names, Stuart Broad is particularly bad for constantly resetting fields and taking an age to get through his overs.
    The third umpire can 'stop the clock' for DRS reviews and so forth, there's an extra half hour for 'stuff' built in and a change of innings is known to cost 2 overs.
    I doubt there are more than a handful of bowlers in a similar profile to Broad who bowl their overs at 15+ an hour. There is also no “golden age” in living (to most) memory when things were any different (in fact in the 80s it was probably far worse, especially when accounting for DRS etc). The thing is, even if it is often the “fault” of the fielding side, once you start trying to penalise them in real time, the batting team will rapidly find ways to slow them down.

You can say that third umpire makes allowance for things like DRS breaks etc (indeed they do, when considering citing captains under existing rules), but this doesn’t feed into reported over-rates only penalties.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

I lost my phone today.

Really weird. I feel lost and listless; disconnected, like I've lost a limb. The closest feeling I can approximate it to is the early stages of a family bereavement.

Strange. This is a not a good thing. I don't want to feel this way about losing a frigging phone.

Bloody hell. Sorry to hear that. And yes. That is a misapplication of priorities.

You are posting now hence you found it?
  • Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Aftab Habib?
    Yes.

To be fair many England cricket fans have repressed large parts of the 1990s.

Wisden do a lot of quizzes like this and it is a great reminder of who has played for England.

https://wisden.com/play-and-win/quizzes/quiz-every-england-player-who-has-batted-with-alastair-cook-in-tests

https://wisden.com/category/play-and-win/quizzes
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    I do know one set of twin brothers where one has the formal version of the name and the other the diminutive.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

England PCR percentages

The Pennine split is very noticeable.
    It is bleeding very gradually through and out of Lancashire - cases keep rising in Manchester, and are on the rise in Cheshire as well - but compared to the Kent catastrophe it's all pretty pedestrian. And, much more importantly, it's only had a modest effect on hospital admissions and almost none on deaths.

Again, the catastrophe stubbornly fails to materialise. The publicity seekers on ISAGE must be tearing their hair out.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I lost my phone today.

Bloody hell. Sorry to hear that. And yes. That is a misapplication of priorities.

You are posting now hence you found it?
    Thanks. No, I haven't found it, sadly. I'm sulking on my desktop at home.

You're getting the brunt of it so my wife doesn't have to deal with it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Omnium said:

maaarsh said:

Good British food:

Cullen skink is a very decent fish soup if it is made properly.
    I've been itching for fresh razor clams for years.

A week on the North Norfolk coast next week will be the opportunity.

I will be taking the rucksack, tide tables, salt for the squirty bottle of salt water, and optimism.
  • Options

isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Aftab Habib?
    Yes.

To be fair many England cricket fans have repressed large parts of the 1990s.

Wisden do a lot of quizzes like this and it is a great reminder of who has played for England.

https://wisden.com/play-and-win/quizzes/quiz-every-england-player-who-has-batted-with-alastair-cook-in-tests

https://wisden.com/category/play-and-win/quizzes
    I’ll have a go. This is a good football one. I didn’t do so well, especially on the recent squads. Got most of 90-98. I think I scored about 200

https://theblizzard.co.uk/quiz-every-england-squad-since-italia-90/quiz/
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Good British food:

I presume this is just trying to get a reaction and you are not as stupid as you are pretending.
    Whoa Chris hold your horses. A great list.

Walls Sausages an obvious omission. Plus potted shrimps, black pudding, grilled kidneys, and Domino's pizza.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

But the extra length of the third session would be much reduced as it would only be the third set of 30 overs which would be extending play rather than the whole 90.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Good British food:

Good list, but I'm not sure how much you've travelled outside of London recently?

The food in Hampshire is very good to phenomenal in most places - it has to be, or they'd close - and that's also the case in Dorset, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall.

I wonder if there's a strange symbiosis going on here with the smoking ban and change in attitudes to drink-driving here - good food is almost the only way rural hostelries can now survive.
    I was in the Kentish Weald last week.
    I guess it’s got better? It’s hard to remember what it was like twenty years ago.

But I stand by my claim that serendipitous dining is not really possible, as in you can’t pull into any random pub and expect well cooked, local fare.

Whereas even motorway services in France will give you a decent meal.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Anyone guess the player?

Gavin Hamilton?

I remember Such playing loads of Tests. Or were they ODIs? I remember him always looking as if he was in pain.
    Eleven Tests. Largely when they couldn’t think of anyone else to try out.

Played quite a lot of first class though.

As of course did Aftab Habib and Gavin Hamilton.

What did Hamilton and Such have in common, along with Mike Denness?
  • Options
    It hasn't reopened yet, but this is one of my favourites - sublime and indulgent food, and beds that feel like heaven. A totally English and fully relaxing romantic experience. Get the train to Yeovil Junction, and switch off - completely:

http://www.littlebarwick.co.uk/
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Good British food:

I think it’s true it’s on the slide, but I disagree with your last statement. It is not “just as easy”.
    Don't tell Mr Macaron, for heaven's sake..
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    kle4 said:

Michael Vaughan

----

If it was something done before someone was playing not just for them but for any professional team, then is it really disciplinary action? It's punitive action, certainly, but it's not disciplinary. I can see such action being appropriate in theory, but after such a length of time with, it appears, not recent repeat? Come on.
    He was in between professional contracts at Kent and Yorkshire at the time, so that defence doesn't really apply.
This discussion has been closed.