Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters confident that the Tories will win the July 1st Batley and Spen by-election – politicalbetti

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited May 2021 in General
imagePunters confident that the Tories will win the July 1st Batley and Spen by-election – politicalbetting.com

The Betdata.io chart of the Betfair market has shown very little real movement since the former LAB MP quit the seat after becoming the May of West Yorkshire. Given how poorly Labour is doing at the moment you would have thought that the party would have done everything in its power to stop by-elections from happening. Not so – the former MP was allowed to run for the mayoralty and now Starmer has another problem on his hands.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    i got a bet on Labour at 3/1 straight after the locals and happy with that. I think the big event before Batley and Spen will be the 21st June deadline for ending all covid restrictions. If Johnson does not do this he will either be viewed as having being dishonest with the people or too weak to challenge the covid obsessives . This is the sort of thing that will not go down well with the ordinary folk of Yorkshire who like plain speaking and keeping to ones word
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

i got a bet on Labour at 3/1 straight after the locals and happy with that. I think the big event before Batley and Spen will be the 21st June deadline for ending all covid restrictions. If Johnson does not do this he will either be viewed as having being dishonest with the people or too weak to challenge the covid obsessives . This is the sort of thing that will not go down well with the ordinary folk of Yorkshire who like plain speaking and keeping to ones word

Flip side of that is that if (as I very solidly expect) on 14th June Boris confirms we will end the legal Covid restrictions and it is over to you, guys, to be sensible - then that will feel like War Is Over.

I don't see how he doesn't get a big boost from having steered us through and out the other side. And B&S is the first chance, politically, to express that relief.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Does anyone know whether the Heavy Woollens are likely to deploy themselves again? That seems to me to be the key here.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    As per the graph in the header, betting has moved slightly to the Conservatives.
    Conservative 8/15 (Skybet)
    Labour 13/8 (Ladbrokes, Hills)
  • Options

As per the graph in the header, betting has moved slightly to the Conservatives.
    Conservative 8/15 (Skybet)
    Labour 13/8 (Ladbrokes, Hills)

If the Heavy Woollens did stand Labour would be value. If they don't that seems about right.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited May 2021
    If after 11 years in Opposition Labour can't hold Batley & Spen, a seat with far more favourable demographics than Hartlepool and with the advantage of a unique sympathy candidate unavailable to them literally anywhere else in the country, then they are done as a political force for this Parliament and will be even heavier underdogs at the next election than they already were.

Even with the aid of Gorgeous George, I expect, sadly, a Labour hold.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

Flip side of that is that if (as I very solidly expect) on 14th June Boris confirms we will end the legal Covid restrictions and it is over to you, guys, to be sensible - then that will feel like War Is Over.

I don't see how he doesn't get a big boost from having steered us through and out the other side. And B&S is the first chance, politically, to express that relief.
    After Cumming's intervention it would seem, "steered us through and out the other side" in his clown car.

Some (like Edmunds and Ferguson) are not convinced that we are out the other side yet. FWIW I hope you are right and they are wrong.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited May 2021
    DavidL said:

I will be amazed if Galloway troubles the scorers in a way that impacts on the results. His latest Scottish venture was yet another embarrassment.

I thought it was great, though it has made me ponder exactly what level of embarrassing failure would put a blush on Galloway’s grizzled cheeks.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

If after 11 years in Opposition Labour can't hold Batley & Spen, a seat with far more favourable demographics than Hartlepool and with the advantage of a unique sympathy candidate unavailable to them literally anywhere else in the country, then they are done as a political force for this Parliament and will be even heavier underdogs at the next election than they already were.

I'd say the same about the Tories maintaining their 29% majority in Chesham and Amersham.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242

Then see the header or my earlier post with the odds, and get thee to a betting shop (or website!).
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    DavidL said:

I will be amazed if Galloway troubles the scorers in a way that impacts on the results. His latest Scottish venture was yet another embarrassment.

There are fewer Muslims in Scotland than in Bethnal Green, Bradford or Batley.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    DavidL said:

I suspect we give him more attention than anyone else (press, voters) does.
  • Options
    Does George pull these stunts because it raises his profile in order to generate a short term, rent a minor z-list celebrity income? I wonder.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I'd say the same about the Tories maintaining their 29% majority in Chesham and Amersham.
    Bit of expectation management going on here. We know from the locals that the Tory majority will be dented so let's not pretend. Unless the LDs pull off a gain it isn't going to register. In the old days they would walk it of course. As for B & S I'd expect a modest Labour hold unless and until we get reliable polling suggesting a Tory win. If they do win it will be even more significant than Hartlepool.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

Good Morning

I am very uneasy how the media seem to have been captivated by the zero covid, anti government brigade and that they are almost subservient to their views

Just when we need a vigorous and serious media they are failing the country big time and their narrative needs to be challenged

I think it was said on the last thread that if the country is not opened on the 21st June there will we be widespread anger and I do agree, but I think it is more likely that it will be ignored as people decide they are not going to be dictated to by a select few of zero covid zealots who have no care on the economic damage or of course the mental health and delayed urgent medical attention required by so many of our fellow citizens

I do believe we should be provided with far more forensic detail on hospitalisation including the vaccine state of those in hospital, the severity of their condition, and just how many are succumbing to covid and the exact state of the NHS

Yesterday, I listened to Sturgeon and when she was asked to provide these details she prevaricated (which she is a world champion at) and went around the question and it was quite apparent she did not want to reveal how many in Scotland's hospital were unvaccinated or had had their first dose.

Furthermore, I listened to the Welsh news last night which reported there were 8 mile queues accessing North Wales (and they are so welcome) and I was almost 'open mouthed' when Drakeford said that of course everyone coming into Wales must have had a covid test and continue having them whilst here.

Either he was extreme naivety or he is just divorced from reality

I believe we should open on the 21st June, am content for Boris to leave the decision until the 14th, despite again the crescendo of demands from our 'out of touch' media for an answer now, and I have every intention of doing my own thing but with common sense no matter what the media, covid apparatchiks or anyone else says to the contrary

It's not just zero covid types now who are repeatedly on the media, if by that you mean those who want eradication.

We are now seeing what feels like wall-to-wall interviews with those scientists who seem to want us in a position where no one dies of covid or is in hospital. They focus on that at all costs, ignoring the wider health issues that you mention never mind the economy and small businesses. Yes, in an ideal world no one would die of covid. But if the price for that is loads of other people die from undetected cancer then I would say you have lost a sense of balance and proportion.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I thought it was great, though it has made me ponder exactly what level of embarrassing failure would put a blush on Galloway’s grizzled cheeks.
    You know, as he staggers from one election contest to the next I am beginning to suspect that the man has a bit of an ego and really can't contemplate a world where people are not listening to him. He should come on PB, its a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

Good Morning

I am very uneasy how the media seem to have been captivated by the zero covid, anti government brigade and that they are almost subservient to their views

Just when we need a vigorous and serious media they are failing the country big time and their narrative needs to be challenged

I think it was said on the last thread that if the country is not opened on the 21st June there will we be widespread anger and I do agree, but I think it is more likely that it will be ignored as people decide they are not going to be dictated to by a select few of zero covid zealots who have no care on the economic damage or of course the mental health and delayed urgent medical attention required by so many of our fellow citizens

I do believe we should be provided with far more forensic detail on hospitalisation including the vaccine state of those in hospital, the severity of their condition, and just how many are succumbing to covid and the exact state of the NHS

Yesterday, I listened to Sturgeon and when she was asked to provide these details she prevaricated (which she is a world champion at) and went around the question and it was quite apparent she did not want to reveal how many in Scotland's hospital were unvaccinated or had had their first dose.

Furthermore, I listened to the Welsh news last night which reported there were 8 mile queues accessing North Wales (and they are so welcome) and I was almost 'open mouthed' when Drakeford said that of course everyone coming into Wales must have had a covid test and continue having them whilst here.

I believe we should open on the 21st June, am content for Boris to leave the decision until the 14th, despite again the crescendo of demands from our 'out of touch' media for an answer now, and I have every intention of doing my own thing but with common sense no matter what the media, covid apparatchiks or anyone else says to the contrary

It's not just zero covid types now who are repeatedly on the media, if by that you mean those who want eradication.

We are now seeing what feels like wall-to-wall interviews with those scientists who seem to want us in a position where no one dies of covid or is in hospital. They focus on that at all costs, ignoring the wider health issues that you mention never mind the economy and small businesses. Yes, in an ideal world no one would die of covid. But if the price for that is loads of other people die from undetected cancer then I would say you have lost a sense of balance and proportion.
    Absolutely and we are on the same page
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited May 2021
    FPT:
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Welcome news for some on here I think:
    Expats to get lifetime general elections vote as 15-year limit abolished
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/27/british-expats-get-lifetime-general-elections-vote-government/

So my son in Spain is to be re-enfranchised.

So, the government is enfranchising Brits abroad who may not have paid UK taxes in two decades (and who won't need any ID) while making it harder for Brits who don't drive cars (and therefore don't carry photo ID on them).
    The taxes point is a red herring as we enfranchise unemployed people and 18-year-olds who may never have paid any taxes at all.

And France, Germany, Holland, Italy and Canada require ID to vote don't they? And Northern Ireland has required it for many years.
    Yes, but all those countries have mandatory ID. (Aka ID cards.)

Which is fine. All citizens are required to have ID, and therefore no citizen is disadvantaged in carrying out their desire to vote.

The UK doesn't have ID cards.

And many young, urban Brits do not have a driving license. Poorer pensioners probably do not either.

They will therefore need to spend their time (which has value) to vote to secure photo ID, relative to a car owner, who will carry their ID with them at all times.

To even the playing field, I would therefore suggest that anyone with a driving license spends 20 minutes waiting at the polling station prior to voting so that the time cost on all citizens is equalized.

Alternatively, we can use my simple and free method of avoiding personation. If you seek to vote without photo ID, they take a photo of you at the polling station, and you sign the back of it. Simple, avoids personation, doesn't act as a voter suppression mechanism.
    Canada doesn't actually have compulsory national ID cards. I'm not sure Northern Ireland does either. So your premise is wrong.
  • Options

DavidL said:

There's quite a number in Glasgow including the current leader of Scottish Labour. It didn't help Galloway much. He's done.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There's quite a number in Glasgow including the current leader of Scottish Labour. It didn't help Galloway much. He's done.
    The only issue is, in a tight election George's 666 votes could swing the election from Labour to Conservative.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You know, as he staggers from one election contest to the next I am beginning to suspect that the man has a bit of an ego and really can't contemplate a world where people are not listening to him. He should come on PB, its a lot cheaper.
    He’s incredibly thin skinned, blocked me on Twitter years ago (I didn’t even follow him) just for a bit of gentle pish taking of one of his more egregious claims. Don’t think he’d last five minutes here where even the fragile know a bit of bruising is the price of entry.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Then you would be wrong.

The Conservatives were defending a 29% majority in Ryedale in 1986 and lost it on a 19% swing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Ryedale_by-election

A year later they won a landslide general election victory.

Then there's Crosby, Portsmouth South, Eastbourne, Ribble Valley and no doubt others.
    Well indeed - I'm afraid Boris drives the otherwise sane utterly deluded...
  • Options

Have the Tories have been in Opposition for over 11 years and are thus expected to win by-elections handsomely against a superannuated government, as the Tories did Crewe & Nantwich in 2008 and Norwich North in 2009, and as Labour did Mid Staffordshire in 1990, Monmouth in 1991, Langbaurgh in 1991, Dudley West in 1994, South East Staffordshire in 1996, and Wirral South in 1997? As for that matter did the Lib Dems in Eastbourne in 1990, Ribble Valley in 1991, Kincardine and Deeside in 1991, Newbury in 1993, Christchurch in 1993, Eastleigh in 1994, and Littleborough and Saddleworth in 1995?

As is normal in by-elections, the Tory majority in C&A should fall substantially - indeed, on the historical precedent detailed above, it should be an easy Lib Dem gain. The fact that we're even expecting it to be held shows the extent of Tory strength under Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Good Morning

Of course you are, that's how we post on the same thread.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

For all you know, he's already on PB. There's some pretty weird folk posting on here....
    We prefer the term eccentric.
    Apologies - I meant eccentric, not weird.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited May 2021
    "Not so – the former MP was allowed to run for the mayoralty and now Starmer has another problem on his hands."

Yes, I agree -- it looks a stupid, tactical misstep. A completely unnecessary gamble by SKS -- which, if lost, provides still more ammunition for his enemies.

Why on earth was Tracy Brabin allowed to do this?

She should not have stood in GE 2019 in B&S if she wanted to go for the Mayoralty.

No doubt when elected in B&S, Brabin emphasised the honour of succeeding her friend & predecessor, the murdered Jo Cox.

But, that only lasted until a better opportunity came along.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

These things are relative. There's a certain concentration of people of that background in Glasgow (and, to a lesser extent, in the other principal cities,) but Muslims in Scotland only amount to about 1.5% of the population.

Scotland is one of the most homogeneous, monocultural societies on Earth. Take the cities out of the equation and it's white as the driven snow.
  • Options
    Galloway used to at least be entertaining but its just a bit sad now - perennial candidates should be jokers or single issue campaigners, and I dont think he realises he's the former. Hes not a political player anymore.
  • Options
    felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

The Conservatives were defending a 29% majority in Ryedale in 1986 and lost it on a 19% swing:

Then there's Crosby, Portsmouth South, Eastbourne, Ribble Valley and no doubt others.
    Indeed he does, and the fanbois are out early today, is there a full moon?

The garden won't dig itself.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

For all you know, he's already on PB. There's some pretty weird folk posting on here....
    We are all twinkling sub programmes in the Leadronic AI.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I'd say there are far fewer cranks here than on most websites of its size and renown, the odd lazy anti-vaxxer notwithstanding.
  • Options
    On the by-election, in Hartlepool not everyone knew Labour would lose but it was clearly a big possibility and it just felt like that would happen. I dont get that impression here as everyone seems to agree itd be a tougher prospect anyway.

But though they are no longer used to losing or being behind losing the next one shouldn't spook the Tories too much.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

These things are relative. There's a certain concentration of people of that background in Glasgow (and, to a lesser extent, in the other principal cities,) but Muslims in Scotland only amount to about 1.5% of the population.

Scotland is one of the most homogeneous, monocultural societies on Earth. Take the cities out of the equation and it's white as the driven snow.
    It doesn't bother me at all but I do find it startling when I come to London in particular how incredibly multicultural and ethnically diverse London has become.

It is not unusual to hear foreign languages in Edinburgh but they are mainly Spanish, French and Polish with a bit of Romanian thrown in. You do hear the odd bit of Punjabi or Hindi and a smattering of Chinese but the vast bulk of our immigrants are white Europeans. So I would say not quite monocultural (compared to the likes of Japan) but certainly nowhere near as diverse.
  • Options

Have the Tories have been in Opposition for over 11 years and are thus expected to win by-elections handsomely against a superannuated government, as the Tories did Crewe & Nantwich in 2008 and Norwich North in 2009, and as Labour did Mid Staffordshire in 1990, Monmouth in 1991, Langbaurgh in 1991, Dudley West in 1994, South East Staffordshire in 1996, and Wirral South in 1997? As for that matter did the Lib Dems in Eastbourne in 1990, Ribble Valley in 1991, Kincardine and Deeside in 1991, Newbury in 1993, Christchurch in 1993, Eastleigh in 1994, and Littleborough and Saddleworth in 1995?

As is normal in by-elections, the Tory majority in C&A should fall substantially - indeed, on the historical precedent detailed above, it should be an easy Lib Dem gain. The fact that we're even expecting it to be held shows the extent of Tory strength under Boris Johnson.
    I totally agree on the point that the implications of a loss there seem overdone, but as a minor point I think it is possible to overplay how much they should lose it. Historical precedent is relevant, it's why them losing or nearly losing should not cause Tories to wet the bed, but we clearly in very different timed to the old days. LDs in particular storming by elections may not be something we see again as a matter of course.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He’s incredibly thin skinned, blocked me on Twitter years ago (I didn’t even follow him) just for a bit of gentle pish taking of one of his more egregious claims. Don’t think he’d last five minutes here where even the fragile know a bit of bruising is the price of entry.
    I think he might post here - as malcolmg.....
  • Options
    edited May 2021

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

PB is truly an ecumenical forum - it even includes people who can't stand polling data and log off at the sight of political opinions other than their own...
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    Fishing said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Welcome news for some on here I think:
    Expats to get lifetime general elections vote as 15-year limit abolished
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/05/27/british-expats-get-lifetime-general-elections-vote-government/

So my son in Spain is to be re-enfranchised.

So, the government is enfranchising Brits abroad who may not have paid UK taxes in two decades (and who won't need any ID) while making it harder for Brits who don't drive cars (and therefore don't carry photo ID on them).
    The taxes point is a red herring as we enfranchise unemployed people and 18-year-olds who may never have paid any taxes at all.

And France, Germany, Holland, Italy and Canada require ID to vote don't they? And Northern Ireland has required it for many years.
    Yes, but all those countries have mandatory ID. (Aka ID cards.)

Which is fine. All citizens are required to have ID, and therefore no citizen is disadvantaged in carrying out their desire to vote.

The UK doesn't have ID cards.

And many young, urban Brits do not have a driving license. Poorer pensioners probably do not either.

They will therefore need to spend their time (which has value) to vote to secure photo ID, relative to a car owner, who will carry their ID with them at all times.

To even the playing field, I would therefore suggest that anyone with a driving license spends 20 minutes waiting at the polling station prior to voting so that the time cost on all citizens is equalized.

Alternatively, we can use my simple and free method of avoiding personation. If you seek to vote without photo ID, they take a photo of you at the polling station, and you sign the back of it. Simple, avoids personation, doesn't act as a voter suppression mechanism.
    Canada doesn't actually have compulsory national ID cards. I'm not sure Northern Ireland does either. So your premise is wrong.
    We're not required to carry our driving licence either. I lost mine a few years ago and it hasn't inconvenienced me in any way (I have just applied for a replacement as I have just renewed my passport so the Government has a new photo of me on file).

Of course anyone can get a provisional licence and it acts as primary ID in the same way as a full licence. But I am, sadly, coming to the conclusion that inability to provide ID is becoming such a problem for less-advantaged members of the community that we do need ID cards for all.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Praying more like not saying...
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We prefer the term eccentric.
    Except when it comes to Roger, where bonkers springs to mind..
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    kle4 said:

Good Morning

Of course you are, that's how we post on the same thread.
    Brilliant comment
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It doesn't bother me at all but I do find it startling when I come to London in particular how incredibly multicultural and ethnically diverse London has become.

It is not unusual to hear foreign languages in Edinburgh but they are mainly Spanish, French and Polish with a bit of Romanian thrown in. You do hear the odd bit of Punjabi or Hindi and a smattering of Chinese but the vast bulk of our immigrants are white Europeans. So I would say not quite monocultural (compared to the likes of Japan) but certainly nowhere near as diverse.
    The Euro squads for England, Wales and Scotland are being announced.

I expect -- visually -- there will be quite an obvious difference.

And -- not unconnected -- is the fact that the former two have been much more successful in recent years than the third. :)

Current FIFA rankings 4th, 17th and 44th.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ....Meanwhile we've got a lying incompetent freeloader for our prime minister but we don't care!

Many of us thought the country would go down the toilet after Brexit. Few realised it would happen so quickly
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    Roger said:

....Meanwhile we've got a lying incompetent freeloader for our prime minister but we don't care!

Many of us thought the country would go down the toilet after Brexit. Few realised it would happen so quickly

Maybe his opponents should have put up a credible alternative at the last election then - rather than an enabler of racism who wanted to overturn the result of a referendum?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

And you'd be wrong.

You're desperate for an agenda sorry, but the reality is Government's lose by elections.

If it happens it would have all the electoral significance of eg Crosby 1981.
  • Options

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

PB is truly an ecumenical forum - it even includes people who can't stand polling data and log off at the sight of political opinions other than their own...
    Some posters are not funded by Conservative Party Central Office, and we genuinely have other things to do.

Toodle Pip!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Good Morning

Classic FM (who I think get their news from LBC) just dropped a clanger as well. Their leading story described Christina Pagel, a zero Covid idiot who wants to keep us locked down until at least the end of August, as ‘a member of SAGE.’ Well, she isn’t. She’s a member of Independent SAGE, who are a pressure group (and AIUI she’s a mathematician not an epidemiologist anyway). That, to me, is deliberate dishonesty, or so negligent it might as well be dishonesty.

Yes, we have some nuts who want to keep us locked down for ever, like Pagel, or Contrarian (who is patently refusing the vaccine so he can be proved right on endless restrictions). But they can and should be ignored.

Bottom line is, if schools can be reopened without everything descending into chaos, then there’s no reason to keep anything else under control. If there were likely to be a steep rise in hospitalisations and deaths from reopening, given we’ve been open for six consecutive weeks it would have happened by now. It was an extremely brave call to reopen them on the 8th March and although it was plainly made for all the wrong reasons it has turned out to be the right decision.

Therefore, the argument is to bring forward the ending of restrictions, not put it back.

And an even better argument is that everyone is starting to ignore them anyway and attempting to keep imposing them will merely bring the law into disrepute.

In fact, the only good argument for trying to extend is that I think Harper and Baker would actually be able to topple Johnson and put a half-decent PM in.
  • Options

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

Some posters are not funded by Conservative Party Central Office, and we genuinely have other things to do.

Toodle Pip!
    Yes, of course, the only opposition to your nonsense must come from people paid to write it. If any party were funding you, I think they'd be in their rights to demand an immediate refund, if not damages on top...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    kle4 said:

Galloway used to at least be entertaining but its just a bit sad now - perennial candidates should be jokers or single issue campaigners, and I dont think he realises he's the former. Hes not a political player anymore.

Such a low quality individual these days. Latest "cause" appears to be regime change in the Labour Party. Anybody who votes for him will have done something extremely disappointing. Hopefully there won't be many.
  • Options

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

Toodle Pip!
    Yes, of course, the only opposition to your nonsense must come from people paid to write it. If any party were funding you, I think they'd be in their rights to demand an immediate refund, if not damages on top...
    If anyone is paying you, they should demand a discount given the number of contractions you use. :smile:
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

Toodle Pip!

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

Toodle Pip!
    Thinking that “the only reason people might pretend not to accept that I am right is because they are paid to do so” (made up quote, but my interpretation of the subtext of your reply to @BluestBlue) is a really bad idea as it blinds you to the reasons someone might actually say such things.
    I’m not saying it never happens; there are always a number of new accounts that start up during election campaigns and are never heard from again once the Exit Poll drops, but it’s probably best to assume everyone is genuine.
  • Options
    Also on the previous thread: One for @DavidL in light of his earlier post:

https://www.tes.com/news/sqa-assessment-2021-unfair-say-most-teachers-survey

And I thought the disaster the drug addled retards at the DfE had cooked up was bad...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

If you win your bet - which I hope you do - I doubt it will be for that reason. There's little chance of the roadmap being delayed.
  • Options
    What is significant is the party Mike Smithson doesn't mention.

The LibDems.

Traditionally the LibDems would be looking to challenge strongly in a byelection wherever it was and whoever had held the seat previously.

Now, not a mention.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

Toodle Pip!
    If anyone is paying you, they should demand a discount given the number of contractions you use. :smile:
    Look, the contract is specifically drawn up as 'pence per word', and in this economy we all have to do what we can to keep our heads above water... :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Good Morning

Classic FM (who I think get their news from LBC) just dropped a clanger as well. Their leading story described Christina Pagel, a zero Covid idiot who wants to keep us locked down until at least the end of August, as ‘a member of SAGE.’ Well, she isn’t. She’s a member of Independent SAGE, who are a pressure group (and AIUI she’s a mathematician not an epidemiologist anyway). That, to me, is deliberate dishonesty, or so negligent it might as well be dishonesty.

Yes, we have some nuts who want to keep us locked down for ever, like Pagel, or Contrarian (who is patently refusing the vaccine so he can be proved right on endless restrictions). But they can and should be ignored.

Bottom line is, if schools can be reopened without everything descending into chaos, then there’s no reason to keep anything else under control. If there were likely to be a steep rise in hospitalisations and deaths from reopening, given we’ve been open for six consecutive weeks it would have happened by now. It was an extremely brave call to reopen them on the 8th March and although it was plainly made for all the wrong reasons it has turned out to be the right decision.

Therefore, the argument is to bring forward the ending of restrictions, not put it back.

And an even better argument is that everyone is starting to ignore them anyway and attempting to keep imposing them will merely bring the law into disrepute.

In fact, the only good argument for trying to extend is that I think Harper and Baker would actually be able to topple Johnson and put a half-decent PM in.
    Schools are, I agree, the key. It will be interesting to see if there is a drop in cases this week for half-term. Years 11 and 13 finishing should also have an effect (though it might actually be an uptick in cases from that depending on how much Y13 decide they want to party...)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Good Morning

Schools are, I agree, the key. It will be interesting to see if there is a drop in cases this week for half-term. Years 11 and 13 finishing should also have an effect (though it might actually be an uptick in cases from that depending on how much Y13 decide they want to party...)
    Don’t know what it’s been like in your school, but this half term we’ve had very few cases and hardly more isolating. There was a very strange spike yesterday which obviously had nothing to do with half term. But it’s been quiet.

That’s a stark contrast to November where at no time did we have significantly under 25% off even after the government had ordered us to ignore their own rules on what constituted a close contact to keep the numbers as low as possible.

Partly I think that’s due to low numbers of cases outside, but equally, that in itself is a sign the vaccine programme has worked.

I was totally opposed to schools going back in a panicky rush in two weeks over the 8th March because I thought it would lead to an explosion of cases. I have held my hands up and admitted I was totally wrong. Why are these scientists on Indie SAGE too cowardly or too dishonest to do the same?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680

The LibDems.
    Traditionally the LibDems would be looking to challenge strongly in a byelection wherever it was and whoever had held the seat previously. Now, not a mention.

Not always, Mr Richard. It always depended on circumstances. So this is just yet another of those myths that you Tories have made up in order to belittle the Lib Dems.

In passing, how do you rate the Tories' chances of holding on to Chesham and Amersham? This is a seat that the Conservatives have never lost, and now it looks like a marginal.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

ydoethur said:

Good Morning

There will be fewer tests taking place thus a drop in detected cases may well happen.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The old 'you'd be as racists as us if you had as many people to be racist towards as us' argument.
    I've noticed purveyors of that argument tend not to be keen on testing their hypothesis by allowing Scotland the powers to sully our 'homogeneous, monocultural' society. That their reason for this is that it would make Scotland an entry point for loads more foreigns to make their way to England thereby providing even more folk to be racist towards is quite entertaining though.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Maybe his opponents should have put up a credible alternative at the last election then - rather than an enabler of racism who wanted to overturn the result of a referendum?
    I too am beginning to question whether Labour made a mistake choosing the quiet forensic type. I wonder if they gave enough thought to their opponent?

If the brief had been to better an unscrupulous amoral chisseler rather than a simple incompetent I think they'd have gone for a brawler.

Forget the forensics go for the groin. I'm thinking Jess Phillips or Andy Burnham.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Good Morning

How would a journalist get confused between the game of a group of scientists who advise the government, and a cranky pressure group with a similar name?

Well, for starters the people actually advising the government aren’t constantly trying to get themselves on the news!

Hopefully the “Independent SAGE” cranks will be lining up for a live half-hour interview with Andrew Neil on GB news in a couple of weeks’ time...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Roger said:

The thing is, political opponents always claim that the PM of the day is a liar, or incompetent, or a freeloader, etc. This means that one comes along who actually is the attacks have been blunted and voters just think it’s the usual hyperbole.
    The contrast between G W Bush andTrump is particularly instructive here: at the time Bush was seen as appalling, stupid, possibly the worst President ever. And the Trump came along and made him look like Lincoln in comparison, but any attempts to warn voters of this were made much harder by the fact that that is what political opponents always say.
    A very good post. G W Bush did seem to come over as not very bright, yet he has shone since.

It is difficult to believe anyone (within a democracy) will come close to Trump so comparing Boris to Trump is not wise for the reasons you say.

There are characteristics that do become apparent early on. For instance May came across as honest, but stubborn and inflexible and not a communicator. Boris seems to be not concerned with any detail, yet willing to state stuff that it turns out not to be true. In many cases this may not be intentional, but there is no correction afterwards. The quote to remember is the one in front of the Committee where Andrew Tyrie said 'That is very interesting Boris, except none of it is really true is it Boris'. He was just rattling off the old untrue EU rules myths. This has all continued as PM eg border down the Irish sea stuff. This seems to be reflected in his life generally, which appears chaotic. It may be a good trait for a 'on the hoof' campaigner, but not for a CEO/PM.

He is however not a Trump and we should remember that when being critical.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I'm beginning to question whether Labour made a mistake choosing the quiet forensic type for leader. I wonder if they gave enough thought to their opponent.

If the brief had been to better an unscrupulous amoral chisseler rather than a simple incompetent I they'd have gone for a brawler.

Forget the forensics go for the groin. I'm thinking Jess Phillips or Andy Burnham.
    Surely, ‘go for the Johnson?’
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524

ydoethur said:

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

Toodle Pip!
    Look, the contract is specifically drawn up as 'pence per word', and in this economy we all have to do what we can to keep our heads above water... :wink:
    If it's 'pence per word', there's another PB Tory on here who posts rather frequently and at length who must by now be a multi-millionaire, surely.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good Morning

Don’t know what it’s been like in your school, but this half term we’ve had very few cases and hardly more isolating. There was a very strange spike yesterday which obviously had nothing to do with half term. But it’s been quiet.

That’s a stark contrast to November where at no time did we have significantly under 25% off even after the government had ordered us to ignore their own rules on what constituted a close contact to keep the numbers as low as possible.

Partly I think that’s due to low numbers of cases outside, but equally, that in itself is a sign the vaccine programme has worked.

I was totally opposed to schools going back in a panicky rush in two weeks over the 8th March because I thought it would lead to an explosion of cases. I have held my hands up and admitted I was totally wrong. Why are these scientists on Indie SAGE too cowardly or too dishonest to do the same?
    We have had a couple of cases and no transmission in school: the vast majority of my lessons have had the usual level of attendance. Some pupils missed a significant amount of time due to quarantine on returning from trips to India.
    As I’ve been double jabbed and am now more than three weeks past the second I’ve stopped wearing a mask except to go between lessons or my office, and I’ve told my pupils that it is up to them if they wear masks in my lessons.
    I have noticed that some need to take their masks off for me to hear them; I suspect that I really should get my hearing checked out properly, but I’m too vain.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Good Morning

There will be fewer tests taking place thus a drop in detected cases may well happen.
    Students and staff are meant to keep testing through half term.

Whether anyone will is a different question, of course.

Similarly, given how ridiculously long it takes I have given up reporting my test results on the government website. Why should I waste about 10 minutes reporting a negative test because they are too stupid to save the key info correctly and then have to get an even stupider text telling me what the result was? (And there is no facility to opt out of doing so, either, you have to enter a mobile phone number.)

I’d obviously report a positive, but a negative? Forget it. It needs to be a 30-second process or it just isn’t worth the hassle.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Roger said:

Had both your jabs yet Roger?
  • Options

The LibDems.

Traditionally the LibDems would be looking to challenge strongly in a byelection wherever it was and whoever had held the seat previously.

Now, not a mention.

Total rubbish.

Even at their peak, there were frequently by-elections where the Lib Dems effectively passed and weren't a factor.

This sort of one is a classic case, and would have been even if the LDs were at 20% in the polls. A seat where they've never been higher than third, in a contest where they are throwing everything at a better prospect.

I'm afraid PB is increasingly dominated by people like Richard, with no interest in having a serious, informed discussion.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Roger said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I'm beginning to question whether Labour made a mistake choosing the quiet forensic type for leader. I wonder if they gave enough thought to their opponent.

If the brief had been to better an unscrupulous amoral chisseler rather than a simple incompetent I they'd have gone for a brawler.

I completely agree with your thinking, and with half of your conclusion. I am quite confident Labour would be doing better in the polls with Jess Phillips as leader

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/06/06/the-case-for-making-personality-ratings-a-good-electoral-indicator/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Aren’t governments supposed to lose by-elections, not be favourites to take seats from the Opposition? Again.

Yep, but I don't think this is because of the quality of the Conservative party / Boris, but that we just don't have any opposition currently in either Labour or the Lib Dems. It is a very sad state of affairs.

Cummings was right on at least one point. What sort of system do we have when the choice at the last election was Corbyn vs Johnson and Labour and the Lib Dems have done nothing of note since.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good Morning

We have had a couple of cases and no transmission in school: the vast majority of my lessons have had the usual level of attendance. Some pupils missed a significant amount of time due to quarantine on returning from trips to India.
    As I’ve been double jabbed and am now more than three weeks past the second I’ve stopped wearing a mask except to go between lessons or my office, and I’ve told my pupils that it is up to them if they wear masks in my lessons.
    I have noticed that some need to take their masks off for me to hear them; I suspect that I really should get my hearing checked out properly, but I’m too vain.
    Almost all of mine have taken them off. In fact, all my tutor group did within literally five seconds of me telling them it wasn’t compulsory.

That’s a relief, as it means I can go back to lip reading and actually understand what they’re saying. Much less exhausting and frustrating.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The old 'you'd be as racists as us if you had as many people to be racist towards as us' argument.
    I've noticed purveyors of that argument tend not to be keen on testing their hypothesis by allowing Scotland the powers to sully our 'homogeneous, monocultural' society. That their reason for this is that it would make Scotland an entry point for loads more foreigns to make their way to England thereby providing even more folk to be racist towards is quite entertaining though.

Your post rests on the premise that English are more racist than Scots. You’re entitled to that view, mistaken as it is, but the statistics are that despite being subject to the exactly same immigration controls coming to both for 300 years, far more immigrants (in both proportionate and absolute terms) have chosen to make their homes in England.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

The LibDems.
    Traditionally the LibDems would be looking to challenge strongly in a byelection wherever it was and whoever had held the seat previously. Now, not a mention.

Not always, Mr Richard. It always depended on circumstances. So this is just yet another of those myths that you Tories have made up in order to belittle the Lib Dems.

In passing, how do you rate the Tories' chances of holding on to Chesham and Amersham? This is a seat that the Conservatives have never lost, and now it looks like a marginal.
    Firstly I'm not a Tory.

And yes the LibDems always looked to challenge at byelections.

Sometimes they did well and sometimes they didn't.

But they never gave up before they even started as they did in Hartlepool and Airdrie.

As to C&A, not my part of the world, but as it contains plenty of the LibDems core vote of posh remainers they should do well.

Though they may have a difficulty juggling their messages of "don't build more house" to the oldies and their "build houses" to the younger voters.

Though whatever happens its almost certain to return to being a safe Conservative seat at the next general election.
  • Options

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

Toodle Pip!
    Well that's not strickly true. The Bamfords are independent private donors
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    ClippP said:

The LibDems.

I think the Tories will lose it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Surely, ‘go for the Johnson?’
    Has Johnson ever come up a woman whom he couldn't charm, apart from Frau Dr von der Leyen?
    And his encounter with her didn't end well. Imagine him faced with a more combative, better informed, woman such as Jess Phillips. He'd be back to arguing with Nanny!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Good Morning

Similarly, given how ridiculously long it takes I have given up reporting my test results on the government website. Why should I waste about 10 minutes reporting a negative test because they are too stupid to save the key info correctly and then have to get an even stupider text telling me what the result was? (And there is no facility to opt out of doing so, either, you have to enter a mobile phone number.)

I’d obviously report a positive, but a negative? Forget it. It needs to be a 30-second process or it just isn’t worth the hassle.
    Are we supposed to report tests to the government? I’ve just been filling in a form at school.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Museums, theaters, cinemas and a wide range of other venues can reopen across The Netherlands from June 5, Prime Minister Mark Rutte announced late Friday.

"This is actually the end of the lockdown," he told a news conference.

Restaurants will be allowed to offer indoor dining again and opening hours can be extended until 10pm. The Dutch will also be allowed to invite up to four people to their homes instead of two.

https://www.politico.eu/article/netherlands-coronavirus-lockdown-ends-june-5/

New cases /million 7 day average : vaccinations/100
    Netherlands: 182, : 51.6
    UK: 42 : 92.3.....
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Aren’t governments supposed to lose by-elections, not be favourites to take seats from the Opposition? Again.

Yep, but I don't think this is because of the quality of the Conservative party / Boris, but that we just don't have any opposition currently in either Labour or the Lib Dems. It is a very sad state of affairs.

Cummings was right on at least one point. What sort of system do we have when the choice at the last election was Corbyn vs Johnson and Labour and the Lib Dems have done nothing of note since.
    Opposing the government during a natural disaster is not the easiest of tasks. They need to be constructive and ask the right questions, rather that try and ‘get’ a minister or ask him when he stopped beating his wife.

That said, they really don’t seem to have tried.

What doesn’t help, is that the areas the government messed up (international restrictions etc), the opposition either would have done the same thing, or opposed purely from the view of protecting public-sector workers - at a time when millions of low-paid private sector workers were keeping supermarkets and delivery services alive.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Your post rests on the premise that English are more racist than Scots. You’re entitled to that view, mistaken as it is, but the statistics are that despite being subject to the exactly same immigration controls coming to both for 300 years, far more immigrants (in both proportionate and absolute terms) have chosen to make their homes in England.
    Thank you for allowing me to be entitled to a view, and even telling me what that view is. My cup runneth over.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

To be fair that’s much more likely to be about weather than anything else...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

The point has been made before that the SNP are now the third party in Parliament, so the LD leader doesn't called as of right. Even in the days when there were only 5 Liberal MP's they were still the third party, so Jo Grimond got a chance to speak before the Press went back to the bar.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Good Morning

Christina Pagel advocated in the New European, on a mathematical basis, for the batshit insane decision by Remainers in the Commons to vote for an election in Dec 2019. Something I’ll never understand.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/election-best-bet-stop-brexit-61664
  • Options
    Roger said:

felix said:

Then you would be wrong.

Toodle Pip!
    Well that's not strickly true. The Bamfords are independent private donors
    Who is paying you as a matter of interest?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Good Morning

Are we supposed to report tests to the government? I’ve just been filling in a form at school.
    Yes, including void results, amazingly.

https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result

But like I say, don’t bother unless you test positive. It is a complete and utter waste of time.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

"Not so – the former MP was allowed to run for the mayoralty and now Starmer has another problem on his hands."

Yes, I agree -- it looks a stupid, tactical misstep. A completely unnecessary gamble by SKS -- which, if lost, provides still more ammunition for his enemies.

Why on earth was Tracy Brabin allowed to do this?

She should not have stood in GE 2019 in B&S if she wanted to go for the Mayoralty.

No doubt when elected in B&S, Brabin emphasised the honour of succeeding her friend & predecessor, the murdered Jo Cox.

But, that only lasted until a better opportunity came along.

People say this sort of thing and then in the same breath accuse party HQ of meddling, parachuting candidates, etc. In reality, the local party members decide on the candidate unless there is a decisive reason why someone is unsuitable, and there is no mechanism for the party to order Tracy Brabin to stand or not stand. Some meddling does happen at short-listing stage but that's not enough to prevent this kind of event.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Good Morning

Yes, including void results, amazingly.

https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result

But like I say, don’t bother unless you test positive. It is a complete and utter waste of time.
    Amazing what you can learn from PB 😀

Edit: I missed the initial induction/ training for the LFTs as I was still shielding at the time. It might have been mentioned then.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Opposing the government during a natural disaster is not the easiest of tasks. They need to be constructive and ask the right questions, rather that try and ‘get’ a minister or ask him when he stopped beating his wife.

That said, they really don’t seem to have tried.

What doesn’t help, is that the areas the government messed up (international restrictions etc), the opposition either would have done the same thing, or opposed purely from the view of protecting public-sector workers - at a time when millions of low-paid private sector workers were keeping supermarkets and delivery services alive.
    Agree with all of that. As an aside this isn't helped by our style of Government. The default is one party runs stuff, the other opposes, almost regardless. This falls apart in a national emergency where the opposition feels obliged to be supportive and there is no opposition. Although I also agree they could have made a better fist of it.

As you will probably be aware I really don't like our style of democracy, which I have referred to before as an elected dictatorship. One party runs everything, with little meaningful debate on decisions. The other opposes everything regardless. I would like to see more meaningful constructive debate with fluid alliances and coalitions so that Govts really do take notice of parliament. It is a difficult compromise because you don't want to end up with a Government that can't goven which does happen.
This discussion has been closed.