Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The most depressing polling response I can recall – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited May 2021

Next July, as in 13 months?
    One year but for a day after our youngest sons wedding delayed from August 2020 is to take place

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Interesting who is missing from this - may just be timing (France?, Italy? Spain?) but I suspect some (Hungary) may never join:

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1396564984428208133?s=20
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

He needs that long to work out how the hell to pay for it.....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343

Bride's family normally
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

I am still wondering how the American game show host that has had 4 kids with 3 different women in 6 months, making it a total of 7 kids, is going to juggle all the nappy duties...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

More mealy mouthed platitudes from the EU Transport Commissioner:

UPDATE: expected landing time in Vilnius 21.19 local time. We need to verify all the facts and passengers on board - we cannot do this until the arrival in Vilnius. This kind of situation will have consequences.

https://twitter.com/AdinaValean/status/1396531443422085125?s=20

She was put forward by Orban and her qualifications include a master's degree in European Integration and Security Studies, postgraduate studies in National Security and Defence Management and a bachelor's degree in mathematics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adina-Ioana_Vălean

Edit - and the pax manifest would have been known before take-off! But the EU Transport Commissioner does not know that!

Different Orban.

She was put forward by the Romanian PM Orban not the more famous Hungarian PM Orban.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,651
    isam said:

Sean Lennon (yes, him) has just tweeted a profoundly important thread:

https://twitter.com/seanonolennon/status/1396532546482184195?s=20

That YouGov RedWall poll the other day surprised me -

“Statement A: The various different ethnic groups living in Britain all generally get along well OR Statement B: There is an increasing amount of tension between the different ethnic groups living in Britain”

Red Wall 48-27 in favour of Statement B
    Rest of Britain 43-30 in favour of B
    I quick like the pun in the name -

Sean Oh No! Lennon
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Use one of the celebrity mags? Not any obvious conflicts of interest or potential accusations of buying influence there. Just pure commercial decisions.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

If people do decide that teleworking from Wiltshire and Somerset is the way forward, London could get that NYC 80s vibe...it already has the low level shitty crime, the knife crime and the gangs...and a piss poor Mayor who is a total do-nothing.

Great music though. 80s NYC I mean.
    NYC in the 1970s and 1980s was NYC at its best - creatively. It wasn't just music. So much came out of that city then. The art, the writing, the energy. Strange but true

It was a toilet but a brilliant toilet
    Same as London over the same period.

Places in decline are often artistically innovative.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082

Bride's family normally
    Not these days I don't think. All the people I know (late 20s) who have got married, their families contributed equally, or they paid for it themselves.
  • Options

Chairs of parliament foreign affairs committees from United Kingdom Germany Ireland Czech Republic Latvia Lithuania Poland United States are calling for the suspension of Belarus from the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

Closing borders to commercial traffic could also be on the table & can be implemented fast

https://twitter.com/NoYardstick/status/1396570970840879106?s=20

Is Belarus likely to care if their airspace is closed to international flights?
    The Russians might as many Moscow flights overfly Belarus - and the obvious diversions via Latvia & Lithuania may end up "subject to ATC delays".

If you want to hurt Belarus hit him in the Putins.....
  • Options

Bride's family normally
    Not these days I don't think. All the people I know (late 20s) who have got married, their families contributed equally, or they paid for it themselves.
    I think it was a joke...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    alex_ said:

Bride's family normally
    I think it was a joke...
    Aye — the "who's going to pay for it" joke is all over Twitter
  • Options
    NYT Brussels correspondent:

The incident with the Ryanair flight today is pretty major for the EU, but one chief’s official tweet was riddled w bad English & typos, another called for an investigation by a civil aviation body & a 3rd celebrated the plane’s release from Minsk as great news for “everyone”

https://twitter.com/MatinaStevis/status/1396553581134848009?s=20
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    From the Observer today:

"After more than a year of obeying lockdown rules, we've been allowed to make decisions again. It's terrifying.

Gaby Hinsliff"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/23/should-we-stay-or-should-we-go-the-return-of-free-will-has-left-us-dithering
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656

OT golf -- it looks like Phil Mickelson will become the oldest winner of a major.

Not a proper sport.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

If people do decide that teleworking from Wiltshire and Somerset is the way forward, London could get that NYC 80s vibe...it already has the low level shitty crime, the knife crime and the gangs...and a piss poor Mayor who is a total do-nothing.

NYC in the 1970s and 1980s was NYC at its best - creatively. It wasn't just music. So much came out of that city then. The art, the writing, the energy. Strange but true

Hence Manchester's music scene. 😉
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    alex_ said:

Use one of the celebrity mags? Not any obvious conflicts of interest or potential accusations of buying influence there. Just pure commercial decisions.
    Be warned…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12882724/anthea-turner-on-chocolate-bar-wedding-photo/amp/
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462

OT golf -- it looks like Phil Mickelson will become the oldest winner of a major.

Not a proper sport.
    True. I mentioned it in case someone wanted to watch a (potential) small slice of history.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    Leon said:

This is psychologically interesting.

Are there any PBers who still vehemently deny the lab leak hypothesis?

IF so, why? Is it because of the WHO report? The Lancet letter? Perhaps it is because you fear anti-Chinese racism and the "natural origin" hypothesis is preferable in that respect.

Genuine question. On Twitter it mainly seems to be liberal-lefties who still deny the lab leak thingy, so I'm guessing it is a race thing. OR they are paid by China

Liberal lefties deny the lab leak theory because Trump suggested it, and if Trump had suggested that ice cream was tasty they would be boycotting Ben and Jerry's right now.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    isam said:

“Statement A: The various different ethnic groups living in Britain all generally get along well OR Statement B: There is an increasing amount of tension between the different ethnic groups living in Britain”

Which bit surprised you? That the red wall perceives more racial tension, or that there is so little difference, or that everyone perceives it, or that not as many as you would think perceive it?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited May 2021
    Cookie said:

isam said:

Which bit surprised you? That the red wall perceives more racial tension, or that there is so little difference, or that everyone perceives it, or that not as many as you would think perceive it?
    That most people in Britain think there is an increasing amount of racial tension. I thought it, but when I said so everyone told me it was all good.
  • Options
    Great news as 710 Titanic passengers arrived safe in New York Harbour #TweetLikeValean

https://twitter.com/mseltzermayr/status/1396582836753338368?s=20
  • Options

NYT Brussels correspondent:

The incident with the Ryanair flight today is pretty major for the EU, but one chief’s official tweet was riddled w bad English & typos, another called for an investigation by a civil aviation body & a 3rd celebrated the plane’s release from Minsk as great news for “everyone”

https://twitter.com/MatinaStevis/status/1396553581134848009?s=20

This is an excellent point. We've got so used to the likes of Trump conducting "diplomacy by twitter" that it is now seen as the norm.

This could turn into (is?) a potentially extremely dangerous situation. In such circumstances nobody is best served by the hotpotch of mixed and official messages being fired off by random individuals. Official statements should be issued, properly agreed and formatted and if twitter is to be used at all it should be for dissemination only.

It was interesting to note that somebody recently observed (and noted the criticism of) the complete absence of US Government comment about the Israel/Gaza situation. As if "no comment on twitter" meant that the US Govt didn't have a view or wasn't doing anything. When in reality they were reverting to conventional diplomatic techniques - limiting public (official) comment only when necessary.

What good does it do to have EU commissioners firing off random missives leaving themselves open to ridicule. Or "chairs of foreign affairs committees" issuing semi-official press releases as if they have Government powers, and exaggerating their own importance? Or people in general going on twitter and threatening "consequences" without any indication of what those consequences will be? etc etc
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Well quite. Manchester's musical heyday was roughly 1976-1994 - from the Lesser Free Trade Hall gig to Oasis moving to London. (That they were mediocre thereafter is beside the point - they were no longer part of Manchester's music scene. Ditto Morrissey.) Which roughly corresponds to Manchester's economic nadir.
    Manchester is infinitely better nowadays. It's just amazing. Construction going on everywhere, awash with appealing little spots to eat and drink - but I wouldn't pretend Manchester's current music scene is anything like it was in 1990, when it was a dump but also culturally the most important place in the world.
    Would I rather be in Manchester now or 1990? Genuinely hard to say. Now probably has it, on balance, due to the much reduced chance of encountering violence, either casual or life-threatening.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,381
    edited May 2021
    The whole gain-of-function thing gets worse

Another long, challenging but ultimately quite devastating article.

"In the years leading up to the COVID-19 pandemic, plenty of experts were warning that “gain of function” research was a pandemic waiting to happen. In 2019, Vox reported on the controversy around researchers who were trying to make a more easily transmissible bird flu. (“Can we not?” asked the headline.) It quoted the head of the Center for Health Security at Johns Hopkins saying that “the risks of proceeding in this way on this work are high, very high.”

"The previous chief science advisor to the U.K. government, Lord May, called the research “absolutely crazy” and “exceedingly dangerous,” and said that “there is a danger, but it’s not arising from the viruses out there in the animals, it’s arising from the labs of grossly ambitious people.” Indeed, one of the researchers who made a new bird flu openly stated that his team had produced “probably one of the most dangerous viruses you can make,” a virus that Science said “could change world history if it were ever set free.”"

And:

"A 2014 Guardian article summarizes the views of Harvard epidemiologist Mark Lipsitch saying these experiments “could unleash a catastrophic pandemic if a virus escaped or was intentionally released from a high-security laboratory.” Lipsitch called the flu experiments “exceptionally dangerous” and warned that as labs proliferated, so did the possibility of a pandemic that could kill over a billion people. Virologist Simon Wain-Hobson of the Pasteur Institute said: “It’s madness, folly… If society, the intelligent layperson, understood what was going on, they would say ‘What the F are you doing?’”"

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2021/05/the-stakes-of-finding-covid-19s-origins

The rest of the article focuses on the origins. And it doesn't look good for Wuhan, China, the USA, or Saint Peter Daszak

It came from the lab
  • Options
    Also incredible, if true

"Here are Baric and Peter Daszak scheming to get all their colleagues -- nearly all getting
    @nih
    Fauci
    @NIAIDFunding
    -- to sign a letter denying lab leak despite no proof it wasn't and (still) no evidence of wet market or natural origin."

https://twitter.com/BobSchaller/status/1396586938925203456?s=20
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,726
    Leon said:

IF so, why? Is it because of the WHO report? The Lancet letter? Perhaps it is because you fear anti-Chinese racism and the "natural origin" hypothesis is preferable in that respect.

Genuine question. On Twitter it mainly seems to be liberal-lefties who still deny the lab leak thingy, so I'm guessing it is a race thing. OR they are paid by China

It's a hypothesis, right? Where's the evidence?

(Hint: Trump pushing it is not evidence.)
  • Options
    "But perhaps the most surprising discovery of all in comparing the two exhibitions is the greater variety, vigor, and quality of the Russian artistic output in the chosen periods. This superiority raises important and unsettling questions about the relationship of art to freedom, which clearly is not linear: the more freedom, the better the art."

https://www.city-journal.org/html/freedom-and-art-15343.html
  • Options

Leon said:

There is literally NO evidence for any other hypothesis - and, boy, they've tried. Testing 80,000 animals

Meanwhile this exceptionally infectious novel bat coronavirus leapt into humans in a city, Wuhan, which hosts the only lab in the world researching novel bat coronaviruses (and, coincidentally, a lab which was trying to make the viruses even nastier and more infectious).

Meanwhile, the bats responsible live 900 miles away in a Yunnanese cave. Which was, er, visited by the Wuhan Institute of Virology, collecting novel bat coronaviruses
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Well quite. Manchester's musical heyday was roughly 1976-1994 - from the Lesser Free Trade Hall gig to Oasis moving to London. (That they were mediocre thereafter is beside the point - they were no longer part of Manchester's music scene. Ditto Morrissey.) Which roughly corresponds to Manchester's economic nadir.
    Manchester is infinitely better nowadays. It's just amazing. Construction going on everywhere, awash with appealing little spots to eat and drink - but I wouldn't pretend Manchester's current music scene is anything like it was in 1990, when it was a dump but also culturally the most important place in the world.
    Would I rather be in Manchester now or 1990? Genuinely hard to say. Now probably has it, on balance, due to the much reduced chance of encountering violence, either casual or life-threatening.
    One could make a similar point about Liverpool from 1961 onwards.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

That most people in Britain think there is an increasing amount of racial tension. I thought it, but when I said so everyone told me it was all good.
    I guess this is the sort of thing it's easier to say in a yougov poll than in polite conversation. And perhaps red-wallers are simply less bound by metropolitan niceties in their responses.
  • Options
    Hate to say it, but this weather is unreal
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

I guess this is the sort of thing it's easier to say in a yougov poll than in polite conversation. And perhaps red-wallers are simply less bound by metropolitan niceties in their responses.
    Interesting forced question - many people would go for both A and B, if allowed, I think
  • Options
    Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

There really isn't much difference.
    Also. I'd be interested in which definition of "Red Wall" and Rest of Britain was used.
    Am not aware there is, as yet, a standard definition.
    A point I frequently make whenever it is mentioned, I know. But I do think it is important if anything sensible is to be said.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

There is literally NO evidence for any other hypothesis - and, boy, they've tried. Testing 80,000 animals

Meanwhile this exceptionally infectious novel bat coronavirus leapt into humans in a city, Wuhan, which hosts the only lab in the world researching novel bat coronaviruses (and, coincidentally, a lab which was trying to make the viruses even nastier and more infectious).

Meanwhile, the bats responsible live 900 miles away in a Yunnanese cave. Which was, er, visited by the Wuhan Institute of Virology, collecting novel bat coronaviruses
    You're a sucker for conspiracy theories.

Most likely, this was a natural spillover infection. I do not deny that there's a possibility it was caused by malpractice at a research lab in Wuhan, elsewhere in China - we just do not know. What we do know is that new viruses and variants have occured naturally throughout recorded history and most probably throughout prehistory.

Occam's razor applies.
  • Options
    isam said:

Those damn Chinese labs been fiddling with it again? 😉
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Most likely, this was a natural spillover infection. I do not deny that there's a possibility it was caused by malpractice at a research lab in Wuhan, elsewhere in China - we just do not know. What we do know is that new viruses and variants have occured naturally throughout recorded history and most probably throughout prehistory.

Occam's razor applies.
    Well that's a fascinating and brilliant new insight which really advances the debate
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.
    Well that's a fascinating and brilliant new insight which really advances the debate
    The truth is often mundane.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

I was out for a meal earlier - bloody freezing on way home and put the heating on when I got in
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.
    Well up to a point with Occam.
    Occam's razor would suggest that if we have a new coronavirus pandemic, the most likely source is spillover from viruses in other species.
    But Occam's razor might also suggest that if a new pandemic arises in one of the very few cities in the world where research is carried out into creating artificial coronaviruses, that lab leak might be something of a contender for its source.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.
    The X Files would never have got made if you'd done the pitching.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218

Just checking if my spidey senses are working, The Pursuit of Love is a load of unalloyed tripe, right?

It taught me I'd been mispronouncing Cheyne Walk all my life.
    Pronounced Fanshaw isn’t it?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.
    You don't even understand Occam's razor, amongst many other things
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362

isam said:

Those damn Chinese labs been fiddling with it again? 😉
    Looks like @Benpointer's account has been hijacked by a Chinese bot :lol:
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,367

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.
    Wait a sec. There's a lab that works on bat coronaviruses in the exact same city where a novel coronavirus emerges - surely the simplest explanation is that it came from the lab? It probably requires more steps for it not to have come from the lab.

Now, you would hope that they would have good containment measures at a lab, overall making a leak unlikely, but a snafu at the lab is a simpler explanation than an unlikely coincidence - even though that is by itself not evidence that a leak occurred.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.
    Wait a sec. There's a lab that works on bat coronaviruses in the exact same city where a novel coronavirus emerges - surely the simplest explanation is that it came from the lab? It probably requires more steps for it not to have come from the lab.

Now, you would hope that they would have good containment measures at a lab, overall making a leak unlikely, but a snafu at the lab is a simpler explanation than an unlikely coincidence - even though that is by itself not evidence that a leak occurred.
    See also the 2007 Foot and Mouth outbreak:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_foot-and-mouth_outbreak
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.
    Actually, I have rarely found that to be the case.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.

One of the few reasons to disbelieve the Lab Leak was that a Level 4 lab has superstrict security......

But now it has been revealed there are ancillary labs in Wuhan which do this scary virus research in conditions akin to that of a dentist in the West - lab coats, gloves, that's it

It came, yawn, from the lab
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

One of my good friends in the Insurance industry is selling his London place and moving up to Derbyshire and will WAH post pandemic

I am moving further away from station as I do not expect to be commuting anywhere near as much going forward.

One of my team is looking at moving out into the sticks as he anticipates less need for train access due to reduced commuting

Working patterns for some job types will certainly change
  • Options
    Floater said:

isam said:

I was out for a meal earlier - bloody freezing on way home and put the heating on when I got in
    Heating on here in central London, on 23rd May

I cannot remember a time, before, when I had the heating on this late in spring. It is exceptional
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.

To repeat: I don't deny that a lab leak was possibly the cause; I just don't think it's the most likely explanation.

Did the lab engineer the virus or did they just happen to collect it and then allow it to escape? If the latter the virus was already out in the wild. The former would be another level of culpability.

Focusing on 'China caused the virus' risks ignoring the fact that new pathogens have always occured naturally from time to time and will do so again in future.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.

One of the few reasons to disbelieve the Lab Leak was that a Level 4 lab has superstrict security......

But now it has been revealed there are ancillary labs in Wuhan which do this scary virus research in conditions akin to that of a dentist in the West - lab coats, gloves, that's it

It came, yawn, from the lab
    You don't, yawn, actually know that - it could have been the aliens.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Floater said:

isam said:

I cannot remember a time, before, when I had the heating on this late in spring. It is exceptional
    The Met Office long range forecast is suggesting that warmer weather is coming by the end of next week 🤞
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.

To repeat: I don't deny that a lab leak was possibly the cause; I just don't think it's the most likely explanation.

Did the lab engineer the virus or did they just happen to collect it and then allow it to escape? If the latter the virus was already out in the wild. The former would be another level of culpability.

Focusing on 'China caused the virus' risks ignoring the fact that new pathogens have always occured naturally from time to time and will do so again in future.
    It is by far the most likely explanation. A lab.

What is new is the growing believe the virus was engineered for "gain of function", hence its hideous lethality and transmissibility.

I had no idea until recently that there were labs around the world doing this, making viruses so evil they could kill billions. I mean: WTAF. The scientific justification is so tenuous even virologists question the rationale and morality

Did the Wuhan labs CREATE the SARS2 virus, in its pathogenic endform?

I don't know. But it doesn't look good, right now. Seems highly likely that it leaked from there, at least
  • Options
    Leon said:

Floater said:

isam said:

2013?

I think the main difference is that you would have been out of the country during any previous crap spring.
  • Options

Leon said:

Floater said:

isam said:

2013?

I think the main difference is that you would have been out of the country during any previous crap spring.
    Yes, bang on. This is the first English winter (and crap spring) I have endured in its entirety for 20 years at least

NEVER AGAIN
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Leon said:

Floater said:

isam said:

I'm sure I turned our heating on (east London suburbs) for a couple of days in June last year.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Steppin' Out by Joe Jackson is almost the perfect example of an early 80s New York City song, written and performed by a Brit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJwt2dxx9yg
  • Options
    More on shooting of BLM lady...

It is believed that the shooting occurred near a house where a party was taking place and that a number of people may have been in the area, a Met police statement said.

BBC News - Sasha Johnson: Black Lives Matter activist critical after shooting, her political party says
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57223755
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Occam's razor applies.

I'm not focusing on "China caused the virus", but I do dispute your use of Occam's Razor in an attempt to downplay the possibility that a Chinese lab may have been involved. It's important to know so that we can avoid a repeat - one of the strengths of a democracy over an authoritarian dictatorship is that the causes of failures are exposed. We shouldn't go easy on one dictatorship (China) because a wannabee imitator (Trump) used them as a scapegoat to deflect blame for his own failings.
  • Options
    Kids in cages ice boxes...

Child migrants detained in US in “cold and filthy conditions” - BBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-7UG0jORoA
  • Options
    Just reading Labour suspended its one year Party membership rule to get Kim Leadbetter in as candidate.
    Good.
    Need to get serious. That starts with candidate choice. Local with a track record of doing summat useful. The Airdrie and Shotts not dire result was a pointer standing in stark contrast to Hartlepool.
    Am leaning to Labour hold now.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

It's odd how a period like the late 1990s was perceived by almost everyone as being a very good time for relations between all types of people in the UK, whereas now apparently isn't.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Not much social distancing at the 18th at Kiawah Island.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Not much social distancing at the 18th at Kiawah Island.

Do people have to be vaccinated to attend? Therr have been quite a few events like that in the US, where they are happy to have large crowds with little social distancing provided you have been vaccinated.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    4,450 deaths today in India

I believe that's the highest death toll of any one country on any one day

Grim, still
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Happy 80th birthday to the great Bob Dylan.
    No Restless Farewell nor need to see that his grave is kept clean just yet.
    Not Dark Yet, but it's getting there. Etc., etc.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    dixiedean said:

Just reading Labour suspended its one year Party membership rule to get Kim Leadbetter in as candidate.
    Good.
    Need to get serious. That starts with candidate choice. Local with a track record of doing summat useful. The Airdrie and Shotts not dire result was a pointer standing in stark contrast to Hartlepool.

Yes, she was a former member but didn't get round to renewing during the period dealing with her sister's death. Would have been insanely churlish to bar her. I see she got 80% of the membership vote in the constituency, so no factional nonsense this time.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,651

It is believed that the shooting occurred near a house where a party was taking place and that a number of people may have been in the area, a Met police statement said.

BBC News - Sasha Johnson: Black Lives Matter activist critical after shooting, her political party says

"a number of people may have been in the area" !

Sharp as tacks, those Metropolitan Police boys and girls.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    dixiedean said:

Good.

Suspect it will make no actual difference all the votes they gain from sympathy will be lost to people who think they need to go for the sympathy vote as they have nothing else to offer and vote otherwise
  • Options
    MattW said:

"a number of people may have been in the area" !

Sharp as tacks, those Metropolitan Police boys and girls.
    Reminds me of the headline, "Body found in Duffel Bag. Police suspect homicide."
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

It's odd how a period like the late 1990s was perceived by almost everyone as being a very good time for relations between all types of people in the UK, whereas now apparently isn't.
    It should be noted that racial tension should be read as white vs other....round my way there are often clashes between various ethnicities. Though I am sure it will be touted as all white on other
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    edited May 2021
    To be clear.

1. Biosecurity at the Wuhan Virology site had already been repeatedly flagged as poor and completely not upto BSL4 as far back as 2017 by visting western officials

2. The ancillary evidence is that there was some kind of outbreak incident in Wuhan weeks, in fact as much as 2 months before any actual statements

4. The Chinese state lied, to its own people and the world about it for weeks before eventually coming clean. At the very least they didnt seem keen at first to release what they knew.

5. Stories later emanated from China claiming it was variously passed on during the World Military Games by foreign particpants to coming from Fort Detrick in the US, despite the fact Chinese officials, when they did come forth, suggested it came from a food market. Why then start the 'not made here' stories?

6. Chinese officials sought to suppress and silence medics early on who wanted to get the story out because they recognised the severity of it.

Few are claiming this was a dellberate bioweapons deployment but that the lab was involved in hoking about with coronavirus (thats part of their job) was known and that they were into gene splicing was known and the lab was not exactly good in its operational practice, also known.

There is just as much a possibility that Sars-COV2 originated leaked from the Wuhan lab into the public domain than it just randomly turned up in some dodgy food. The sheer extent of the unwillingness of Chinese authorities to come clean early, their suppression of information and the subsequent rumour mill stories at the least suggest they had something to cover up. Add that to the intelligence that did indicate a major health risk issue in Wuhan in the autumn of 2019 and the Chinese government story does not add up.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Good.

Labour’s odds have shortened a lot from the opening quotes, so the market thinks the candidate choice is good
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    isam said:

dixiedean said:

Good.

Labour’s odds have shortened a lot from the opening quotes, so the market thinks the candidate choice is good
    Conservatives still a clear favourite on WHill - I think it is going to be tight but a Labour hold (admittedly I said that about H'pool) - it may come down to the Tory brand vs the Jo Cox brand (very cynical I know)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,015

Sandpit said:

This hijacked plane in Belarus is going to cause huge problems for NATO and the EU tomorrow.

Belarus now as likely to see planes flying over as North Korea, but serious questions to be asked about how a country would deploy their military, to force down a civilian airliner purely to apprehend someone on board as a passenger.

In the American Civil War the Union stopped and boarded a British ship which had two Confederate envoys on board: that nearly lead to the British joining the war on the side of the CSA until the two were released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Affair
    Two VF-74 F-14s from the Saratoga intercepted an Egyptian 737 over the Med and forced it into Sigonella to try to capture two Palestinians. The Italians cops weren't having it and an armed stand off resulted. The Italians refused extradition although the US got one of them in Iraq years later and Epsteined him in custody.
This discussion has been closed.