Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not all parts are following the national trend – this is Cambridgeshire – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    ydoethur said:

Something I hope we can all applaud

Dawn Foster
    @DawnHFoster
    7m
    Jayda Fransen, who Nicola Sturgeon rightly called a racist and fascist on camera yesterday, polls 46 votes at Glasgow Southside and the announcement is met with audible laughter at the count

I misread that for a moment as ‘Jayda Fransen, who rightly called Nicola Sturgeon a racist and fascist on camera yesterday.’

I was surprised to see you had gone sour on her...
    Well, Fransen DID perform one sterling service - IIRC she contributed greatly to Trumpsky's Twitter ban.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Pro_Rata said:

Just seen the graphics on the swings to Labour in various counties relative to 2017.

Minimal. The subtitles I picked up seemed to be a ray of hope narrative for Labour, but I was just thinking 'Ouch'. I mean, I know none of Kent, Essex or Leicestershire constitute Greater Remainia, but still. The NEV is likely to be painful.

I note the unity across the Labour church, that it needs to know what it stands for and have a bold vision (versions of which may differ wildly). You simply can't argue with that. I hope that is developed already and ready to get out there in the next 12 months of comparative normality, and that 2022 puts them in a somewhat different place.

These are awful results for Labour.

I think that there may well be a leadership challenge (40% chance, but my confidence in that number is very small). Not because there should be, but because the opportunity is there.

Normal politics whenever that happens will see Starmer do better, but it's tricky to see him finding the miracle. He's rightly drifting in the next pm market.

Next GE is more firmly in 2024 too in my view.
    Anecdotally, pretty every Labour supporter I know personally wants Burnham as leader. ASAP.
    Anecdotally, none of the Labour supporters I know want Burnham as leader. If Starmer were to go, they all think we should elect a woman as next leader.
    Is my feeling, fwiw. If we haven't turned a corner by say next summer (after a year of post pandemic politics) then I think a change of leader will probably be needed and if so I'd be looking to vote (as I did last time) for a female candidate. It's not as if we don't have any good ones. This isn't mindless box ticking, it's recognition of a genuine embarrassment that the party of the progressive left has never had a female leader and a desire to put this right. So along with all the other qualities relevant to the choice, gender is rightly there. It doesn't rule out a bloke, should he happen to be clearly better on most everything else, but I'd very much want a woman (as it were).
    That was how we got Swinson. Just saying.
    It was indeed. I think Ed Davey would have handled 2019 much better. I did vote for him.

I think though that the best candidates for Labour are female though. Burnham is out of Westminster politics, and there are no standout men in the Shadow cabinet or waiting in the wings. Possibly Lammy.

Most importantly, Labour needs to figure out what it is for. We know what it is against. It needs to move away from welfare too. Campaigning on Foodbanks, Bedroom tax etc is a hiding to nothing, not least because that clientele doesn't turn out, at least not in numbers.

The "has to be a woman" stuff is just bollocks. Surely it has to be the best person to win the next election?
    "Has to be a woman" is "bollocks"? Perhaps you need a refresher course in basic biology?

Actually, sometimes selecting a woman IS definitely the way to go.

That's why Republicans in southwest WA State selected a very young Jaime Hererra Beutler to fill a legislative vacancy back in the early years of the current millennium, to replace a state representative who'd gotten himself into a sex scandal.

She went on to win a seat in Congress previously held by the Democrats, and has kept it ever since.

You MAY have heard of her, as her name came up in the aftermath of Trumpsky's abortive Putsch?
    I'm not sure why you think that specific case would justify that opinion, but okay.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    ydoethur said:

Declaration in Delyn imminent. Candidates called

Labour holding Delyn and Wrexham is rather better news for them. Those are seats that if the Brexit vote was breaking to the Tories in a big way - as initial results hinted - were toast.

That should be a harbinger for good results in Newport and Gower as well.
    By the end of the campaign, I expected them to win Delyn but I wasn't expecting them to hold Wrexham
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    From Spelthorne via the Get Surrey feed:

They've just taken me around the room showing me spoilt ballots - a grand total of two spoilt by phallic drawings - and a number of people spoiling ballots by writing messages like 'no vaccine passports' and 'no more lockdowns'."

The Staines-upon-Thames massive are clearly not happy.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Carnyx said:

Hmm some tactical voting there by the look of it.

Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    5m
    North East Fife (Mid & Fife) Constituency Vote:

Lib Dem ~ 22163 (55.1%, +11.2)
    SNP ~ 14715 (36.6%, +2.9)
    Conservative ~ 2323 (5.8%, -10.8)
    Labour ~ 1056 (2.6%, -3.3)

Also, the Westminster seat was an LD gain in the 2019 election. And Willie Rennie is (relatively) popular.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Pleased to say I was elected an Epping Town Councillor this afternoon in St John's ward with 1,156 votes.

The LDs held the Epping Hemnall district seat where I also stood but increased the Tory vote slightly to 688 votes

Congratulations. And commiserations too.
    Or vice versa. ;)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432

CFR

Ooh, covid - I had forgotten about that.
    Genuinely - this is possibly the longest I've gone for in the past fourteen months without thinking about it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957

The Labour Northumbria PCC had a majority of 6,000 in 2019.
    Today she has a majority of 66,000

And a win in Northumberland on transfers. And very very close on first preferences. Curious vote splitting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pleased to say I was elected an Epping Town Councillor this afternoon in St John's ward with 1,156 votes.

The LDs held the Epping Hemnall district seat where I also stood but increased the Tory vote slightly to 688 votes

Be grateful you didn't win both!

And congrats.
  • Options
    HarryFreemanHarryFreeman Posts: 210

Donkey with a Rosette territory?

SNP hold Dundee City West, 62 per cent of the vote for Joe Fitzpatrick, who had to resign as Drugs Minister over rising deaths. However, his vote up 4 per pent, unaffected by issue on the doorstep in the city

https://twitter.com/Torcuil/status/1390662509682696194?s=20

Insert Jerry Sadowitz Dundee pot noodle joke here..
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,209

That would be a surprise:

I can’t believe I’m writing this. But Tory sources say Shaun Bailey’s campaign now believe they can win the London mayoralty.

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1390687211184705541?s=20

That would - to use a good bit of Lancastrian dialect - be piss funny.
  • Options
    Who is going to risk a tenner on Bailey for London mayor?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Not me!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Many congratulations.
    Is he going do a Trump, and stay loony, or will the responsibilities of office produce a new, sensible HY?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,357
    NeilVW said:

MikeL said:

London - 7/14 seats counting, all about 70% complete:

Khan 38
    Bailey 37

I can’t see Bailey’s in with a chance.. surely
    What the hell is going on there? Tory areas counting first?

If Khan really Khan’t, that would surely be curtains for Starmer. Can’t even process that being right.
    People forget that London had a Tory mayor just a few years back. It is unlikely but not unthinkable that it will happen again. Neither Sadiq nor Shaun Bailey have the presence of Ken or Boris.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Hmm some tactical voting there by the look of it.

Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    5m
    North East Fife (Mid & Fife) Constituency Vote:

Lib Dem ~ 22163 (55.1%, +11.2)
    SNP ~ 14715 (36.6%, +2.9)
    Conservative ~ 2323 (5.8%, -10.8)
    Labour ~ 1056 (2.6%, -3.3)

Also, the Westminster seat was an LD gain in the 2019 election. And Willie Rennie is (relatively) popular.
    Yes, he seems to provide the photo opportunities now Baroness-t-be D. has skailed off. Though not entirely successfully ...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/video-willie-rennie-caught-guard-amorous-pigs-622453
  • Options
    Why can't we have NYTimes needles and such in these elections? I want to see how each new result affects the probability of X being in power.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    HYUFD said:

Congrats, HYUFD.

I've just stood down after nine years as a town councillor, the last two as chairman. It's been fun. Mostly. Although you spend at least 50% of your time raging at the county or district.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    Floater said:

Conservatives GAIN NINE seats in Sandwell.

Conservative GAIN Quinton (Birmingham) from Labour.

Conservative GAIN Oscott (Birmingham) from Labour.

Tories gaining seats where they never had hope before? They even gained a seat in Sheffield
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Congratulations comrade chairman.

Standing in two seats, clever move.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

HYUFD said:

Many congratulations.
    Indeed, congratulation HYFUD. While we often disagree, I have to admire that you stand by your political beliefs and put yourself out there for election
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    SNP Maj back under 2-1.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684

HYUFD said:

Congrats, HYUFD.

I've just stood down after nine years as a town councillor, the last two as chairman. It's been fun. Mostly. Although you spend at least 50% of your time raging at the county or district.
    And the other 50% at the national govvernment...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    Floater said:

Not me!
    Does all suggest that Rory the no longer a Tory would have had a genuine chance.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    HYUFD said:

Was that a big personal vote for you then, H? Or was it all party?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looks like almost no change in Scotland?

Rising turnout by Nats is cancelled by rising turnout for No (plus unionist tactical voting)

This comment will probably look ridiculous by late August, when they finally finish counting

Can someone explain to me why we have gone from being the envy of the world at counting ballots* to taking effing days? The votes should be counted overnight, everywhere. Wales, Scotland, NI, London, Jersey, the Balliwick of South Sark. Everywhere.

Its partly COVID restrictions I think....??
    I keep forgetting that the virus only comes out at night. Soz.
    Public transport for count staff is also quite a big issue, I expect.
    Timetables are almost back to normal in Scotland.
    In tdhe small hours of the night? OK, maybe I need to take another look at the bus stop.
    They were never available in the small hours so it's irrelevant.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mazel tov, HYUFD! Your intrepid exploits by land AND sea have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Running in more than one seat at the same time, was something Eamon deValera used to do IIRC.

Gratified to see you are following a fine Fenian example!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

HYUFD said:

Congrats, HYUFD.

Sounds like you had a good stint anyway, though yes always a few tensions with the town and district and county councils and here is no exception either
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,161
    Nunu3 said:

Floater said:

Conservatives GAIN NINE seats in Sandwell.

Conservative GAIN Quinton (Birmingham) from Labour.

Conservative GAIN Oscott (Birmingham) from Labour.

Tories gaining seats where they never had hope before? They even gained a seat in Sheffield
    They used to hold Quinton and Oscott in the past.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    Cookie said:

CFR

Genuinely - this is possibly the longest I've gone for in the past fourteen months without thinking about it.
    I suppose I should apologise...
  • Options
    I'm a bit surpised that in the South West (where UKIP did pretty well historically), all of Lab, LD and Con are down...
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Congratulations comrade chairman.

Standing in two seats, clever move.
    Thanks, I stood in the Tory Epping ward we held at district for town and for district in the LD Epping ward they held which explains the difference in result
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    edited May 2021

I can’t believe I’m writing this. But Tory sources say Shaun Bailey’s campaign now believe they can win the London mayoralty.

Whatever they're on, could I have some please?

Unrelated good news: two-thirds of the adult population of the UK have now had their first Covid jab.
    66.6% no less

What will the....errr... religiously interesting types make of that?
    And somewhere, the spirit of David Shepherd is lifting a foot.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

In retrospect, it is now obvious that one of the worst of the many failings of the Corbynites was the total lack of attention to any strategic thinking about what was happening in the ‘left behind’ areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartlepool_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#/media/File:Hartlepool_vote_share_graph.png

"Your preoccupation with the working-class vote is wrong. They've got nowhere to go” - Peter Mandelson to Peter Hain, 1999
    May have applied in 1999. It certainly didn’t by the time Corbyn became leader in 2015. Ed Balls had just lost his seat.
    I would argue it takes a few years for your party's base to realise it is no longer culturally or economically aligned with the leadership.

Just as now the home counties are about to experience slow disenfranchisement from the New-Conservatives.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,260
    In English local councils now the Lib Dems are now +1. As you were.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Pro_Rata said:

Just seen the graphics on the swings to Labour in various counties relative to 2017.

Minimal. The subtitles I picked up seemed to be a ray of hope narrative for Labour, but I was just thinking 'Ouch'. I mean, I know none of Kent, Essex or Leicestershire constitute Greater Remainia, but still. The NEV is likely to be painful.

I note the unity across the Labour church, that it needs to know what it stands for and have a bold vision (versions of which may differ wildly). You simply can't argue with that. I hope that is developed already and ready to get out there in the next 12 months of comparative normality, and that 2022 puts them in a somewhat different place.

I think that there may well be a leadership challenge (40% chance, but my confidence in that number is very small). Not because there should be, but because the opportunity is there.

Normal politics whenever that happens will see Starmer do better, but it's tricky to see him finding the miracle. He's rightly drifting in the next pm market.

Anecdotally, pretty every Labour supporter I know personally wants Burnham as leader. ASAP.
    Anecdotally, none of the Labour supporters I know want Burnham as leader. If Starmer were to go, they all think we should elect a woman as next leader.
    Is my feeling, fwiw. If we haven't turned a corner by say next summer (after a year of post pandemic politics) then I think a change of leader will probably be needed and if so I'd be looking to vote (as I did last time) for a female candidate. It's not as if we don't have any good ones. This isn't mindless box ticking, it's recognition of a genuine embarrassment that the party of the progressive left has never had a female leader and a desire to put this right. So along with all the other qualities relevant to the choice, gender is rightly there. It doesn't rule out a bloke, should he happen to be clearly better on most everything else, but I'd very much want a woman (as it were).
    It was indeed. I think Ed Davey would have handled 2019 much better. I did vote for him.

I think though that the best candidates for Labour are female though. Burnham is out of Westminster politics, and there are no standout men in the Shadow cabinet or waiting in the wings. Possibly Lammy.

Most importantly, Labour needs to figure out what it is for. We know what it is against. It needs to move away from welfare too. Campaigning on Foodbanks, Bedroom tax etc is a hiding to nothing, not least because that clientele doesn't turn out, at least not in numbers.

The "has to be a woman" stuff is just bollocks. Surely it has to be the best person to win the next election?
    "Has to be a woman" is "bollocks"? Perhaps you need a refresher course in basic biology?

Actually, sometimes selecting a woman IS definitely the way to go.

That's why Republicans in southwest WA State selected a very young Jaime Hererra Beutler to fill a legislative vacancy back in the early years of the current millennium, to replace a state representative who'd gotten himself into a sex scandal.

She went on to win a seat in Congress previously held by the Democrats, and has kept it ever since.

You MAY have heard of her, as her name came up in the aftermath of Trumpsky's abortive Putsch?
    I'm not sure why you think that specific case would justify that opinion, but okay.
    I think the point, Rob, is that in certain circumstances, being a [woman] (or, in other circumstances, insert other identity) is an integral part of being the best candidate to win.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Binface camp confident of coming 5th
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Many congratulations.
    Is he going do a Trump, and stay loony, or will the responsibilities of office produce a new, sensible HY?
    I don't agree with everything he writes, and have, I am sure, possibly even been unkind and even sarcastic (no, never I hear you cry) , but I have always been impressed that HYUFD remains polite. Something to be admired.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

Cookie said:

CFR

I suppose I should apologise...
    Why? Are you a member of the Chinese government?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Be grateful you didn't win both!

And congrats.
    Thanks, yes the more you take on at council level the more you have to do no doubt, if you get to county council level, certainly at cabinet level. it is a full time job in itself really
  • Options

That’s a real shame. Imagine how much he would add to the gaiety of national life as Mayor.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

In @ 55, out @ 25. Smug City - :smile:

And, no, surely not. That would be an earthquake. I'd have to move to Cambridge or Brighton.
  • Options

Currently 9th - so much to do.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Can someone please explain with the Scottish AMS system does the SNP taking East Lothian (from South Scotland region) probably mean that the SNP will lose one of their three List MSPs they had? Or does it not work that way?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Pro_Rata said:

I agree. It is how the LDs chose Swinson, and the Tories chose May. Not exclusively, but significantly because they were women.

The Tories chose May because the three men either stabbed each other or self-immolated and the other woman was, er, sub-optimal. Gender had nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He only got in because canvassing is banned, so he missed the chance to tell all his voters that, sorry, they aren’t Tory enough?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Many congratulations.
    Thanks Nigel
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,642
    Thread on the EU rejection of UK's suggested "risk based approach" to food standards/SPS in NI; in short "Computer says no":

https://twitter.com/RaoulRuparel/status/1390692908815327237?s=20
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Congratulations. And commiserations too.
    Thanks Dixiedean
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tories - Epping Here!
    Thankyou Sunil
  • Options

Can someone please explain with the Scottish AMS system does the SNP taking East Lothian (from South Scotland region) probably mean that the SNP will lose one of their three List MSPs they had? Or does it not work that way?

Yes, almost certainly so there is no net gain for them. If they were to pick up another constituency such as Dumfries as well they probably would have an overall gain.
  • Options
    Shetland Islands (Highlands & Islands) Constituency Vote:

Lib Dem ~ 5803 (48.6%, -18.8)
    SNP ~ 4997 (41.9%, +18.8)
    Conservative ~ 503 (4.2%, +0.5)
    Labour ~ 424 (3.6%, -2.3)
    Independent ~ 116 (1%, +1)
    Restore Scotland ~ 90 (0.8%, +0.8)

Bloody odd Unionist tactical voting ...
  • Options
    Uk(LDs) holds Shetland.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Unrelated good news: two-thirds of the adult population of the UK have now had their first Covid jab.
    66.6% no less

The elephant and locomotive painter?
  • Options

TOTAL VICTORY

Er, no. Word from the Lozza camp is he won't be making the run-off.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598
    DavidL said:

I think a lot of the more promising Lib Dem prospects are being counted tomorrow (the legendary yellow shift), so their numbers should improve. Looks like a solid set of results overall and the slight risk of virtual wipeout in Scotland seems to have been averted.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

What the blazes are my ward doing?

Just seen this:

Election results for Victoria
    Sefton Council Elections 2021 - Thursday 6th May, 2021

Counting tomorrow most likely?
    They're done now! That was fast from thirty minutes ago.
    My preferred candidate did not win, though she is getting closer every time.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

Mazel tov, HYUFD! Your intrepid exploits by land AND sea have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Running in more than one seat at the same time, was something Eamon deValera used to do IIRC.

Gratified to see you are following a fine Fenian example!
    De Valera was certainly a canny politician no doubt, not a bad example to follow
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He only got in because canvassing is banned, so he missed the chance to tell all his voters that, sorry, they aren’t Tory enough?
    Oi, come on, say congratulations. It won't hurt!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Congratulations, it won’t hurt.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2021
    DavidL said:

Here in Solihull, they’re a busted flush despite the greens giving them a free run.

The greens need to stop playing mr nice guy.
  • Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    2m
    Glasgow Maryhill and Springburn (Glasgow) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 16428 (59%, +3.4)
    Labour ~ 8504 (30.5%, -1.3)
    Conservative ~ 2241 (8%, -1.7)
    Lib Dem ~ 688 (2.5%, -0.5)

#SP21 #BBS21 http://ballotbox.scot

Again no sign of tactical voting here. It's literally all over the place from constituency to constituency.
  • Options
    I am thinking of starting a Truth and Decency party.
  • Options
    Epping Forest was parliamentary constituency of Winston Churhill 1924-45.

Am sure that Sir Winston's ghost is smiling at your victory in his old patch. And in a good way!
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    DavidL said:

Yes, almost certainly so there is no net gain for them. If they were to pick up another constituency such as Dumfries as well they probably would have an overall gain.
    yes sort of "seats for show , votes for dough" rule
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Much as I would like to think it was a personal vote for me no it was really an excellent campaign all round from the Tory team in Epping and Theydon Bois and across the Epping Forest district
  • Options
    Congratulations HYUFD. We often disagree but I respect you for standing and well done for winning.
  • Options
    Wow, Cardiff Central now topping the turnout tables - 64%.

That’s got to be good for Labour, surely.
  • Options
    BBC suggesting Con may well lose Ayr.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    Floater said:

Emmanuel Macron calls for "the Anglo-Saxons" to stop blocking vaccine exports.

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1390677730568572932

LOL - the bloody cheek of it
    It won't play well anyway. The French people aren't going to buy such obvious pups.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Turnout up 11 percentage points in Moray.

Why is turnout so low for Holyrood elections? If its your national election effectively, then shouldn't turnout be like General Election levels (eg 67.3% in 2019)?
    It does seem to be much higher, at that sort of level (65-70) this year.
    Keep the faith. The overall majority is shorter than it was an hour ago. Looking like a 1 in 4 chance.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    HYUFD said:

Well done HYUFD.

Hopefully the onerous civic duties will not reduce your postings rate.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Much as I would like to think it was a personal vote for me no it was really an excellent campaign all round from the Tory team in Epping and Theydon Bois and across the Epping Forest district
    To quote that great political commentator Mandy Rice Davis, well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

Which does NOT mean that it's NOT true.
  • Options

Congratulations HYUFD. We often disagree but I respect you for standing and well done for winning.

Yeah, fair play to him.

I just hope his brief has nothing to do with geography...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    MikeL said:

Con Ayr, the action blockbuster starring Nicola Cage as Cameron Go!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    As you were...

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1390689259368194061

Senior Shaun Bailey source tells Guido off the back of this, “it’s closer than everyone thinks. Still a long way to go though, but Shaun will have beaten the polls by a fair whack”
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yeah, fair play to him.

I just hope his brief has nothing to do with geography...
    Or tanks
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    kinabalu said:

In @ 55, out @ 25. Smug City - :smile:

And, no, surely not. That would be an earthquake. I'd have to move to Cambridge or Brighton.
    You'd fit in just fine in Brighton. They even tolerate northerners like me.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Congratulations. Don’t let the power go to your head ;)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

It'll never catch on.
  • Options
    Any idea which of the SNP Constituency Targets are counting/declaring today?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

That would be a scalp for the Nats.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I know the geography round there, but even to me "Theydon Bois" sounds like a crack team of (young, male) Tory canvassers!

Congratulations :smile:
  • Options
    ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174
    malcolmg said:

ridaligo said:

Carnyx said:

Graun's Libby Brooks making an interesting point about the high turnout in Scotland -

1m
    1/2 Thinking aloud on Scotland's high (yippee!) turnout: early analysis will focus on which parties most successfully GOTV & suggest this is about both voters' enthusiasm for indyref2, and those determined to stop it. But could it also be a **vote of confidence** in Holyrood...
    Libby Brooks
    @libby_brooks
    Replying to
    @libby_brooks
    2/2 ...after a year plus of (not so) subtle threats to devolution via UKIM, Cummings, Johnson calling Scottish devolution "a disaster", added to its handling of pandemic? Did this cut through enough for high turnout to also be a message to Westminster: "hands off our parliament"?

That's a bit out there as a theory isn't it? My folks (and I'm sure they're not alone) regard Holyrood as a joke, filled with low calibre people who are doing a terrible job running the country (Education, Health etc.).

Surely this election was more or less entirely about sending messages re Indyref2 and that's what drove turnout?
    Your folks are obviously out of touch with reality and the joke is on them.
    C'mon, Malc, how can they be out of touch with reality? They live in Scotland so they live the reality every day. I do agree with you about one thing - the joke is on them ... not very funny though.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2021
    Khan 39% Bailey 37% is with results from

78% of Bexley & Bromley
    78% of West Central (Westminster, Hammersmith, Chelsea, Kensington)
    67% of Lambeth & Southwark
    64% of Brent & Harrow
    60% of North East (Islington and Waltham Forest)
    59% of Ealing & Hillingdon
    54% of Havering & Redbridge (from the constituency result looks it is from Havering rather than Redbridge)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

You wouldn't be eligible to join it, though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I had a full stop after the imperative and before the exclamatory about the lack of pain.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

I wonder whether the Sewell report has done the tories a big favour in some constituencies.

The report made it OK to be a WWC person in an old town again.

Of course labour reviled the report, and with it some of their base.

Straight into the elephant trap.

I suspect you are reading too much into that report - this is just the 2017-20 political party realignment taking full effect..
    It's a new politics - and apart from the opportunities for 'new punditry' and betting opps, boy do I not like it.

On which point (betting), money where mouth is, I said that post Hartlepool I'd be betting into the trend not with it, and so I have. I've done Starmer Next PM @ 7.4.

I like this because I think he will ride this out and lead into the GE. And Johnson's going nowhere, so he will too. So I have an enormous 7.4 on one runner in a 2 horse race. I'll be able to lay it back (if I want) at less than half that price in a year from now.
    I concur. So long as he survives, his odds are bound to come in at some stage.
    Yep, it's a punt on that. And if I'm wrong I'll lose my money! The perfect poetry and simple metrics of betting. It weeds out the nonsense.
    Sounds a shrewd bet to me.
    I don't think he will be next PM. But 7.4 sounds more than generous.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Delyn result

Labour 12,486
    Tories
    UKIP 962
    RefUK 297
    Conservatives 9,135
    Plaid 2,097
    LDs 1,094

Labour hold Delyn then in a slightly better result for the reds, though a 0.7% swing to the Tories
  • Options
    Durham elects it’s first Green. A gain in Brandon from Labour.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Excellent idea!

May I suggest that you get Laurence Fox to compose AND perform your campaign theme song?

EDIT - Though upon mature reflection, fear that TAD just MIGHT be a front for extreme Cornish Nationalist elements who want to establish a beachhead in the Big Smoke?

To undermine English tyranny at its roots, and usher in the dawn of the Greater East Cornwall Co-Prosperity Sphere, stretching from the banks of the Tamar to the Shepard's Bush roundabout.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I had a full stop after the imperative and before the exclamatory about the lack of pain.
    My dictation software didn’t pick those up.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Lab win Delyn today pretty easily - whereas Con won at 2019 GE.

Seems very poor for Con.
  • Options
    Khan won't win at the first stage this time - which way will the binface votes go ?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

66.6% no less

The elephant and locomotive painter?
    Well, who knows? But I was thinking of the umpire :smile:
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    Binface has won a moral victory in London.
  • Options

Excellent idea!

May I suggest that you get Laurence Fox to compose AND perform your campaign theme song?
    As well as the Kung fu
  • Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    41s
    Paisley (West) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 17495 (50%, +0.2)
    Labour ~ 11420 (32.7%, +0.5)
    Conservative ~ 3342 (9.6%, -2.4)
    Green ~ 1584 (4.5%, +4.5)