Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Setting the scene for next Thursday’s local elections – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

There's a fun video of a Belgian parking in his garage which is only 6cm wider than the car. I doubt you could get a modern car that fits.

https://twitter.com/moylato/status/1387139670962843658

I did like this one.

Basically every map showing data on Europe.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,958
    eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19270556.john-curtice-polls-show-snp-independence-support-slipping/

Professor JohnCurtice (for it is He) says that whilst SNP support is slipping, the Greens are romping along, so a majority of MSPs will support independence. Strap yourselves in - when HYUFD explodes as a result of Boris doing what he has endlessly said he won't do, it will be messy.

Although I support Scottish independence, I think the funniest result "for the bantz" would be SNP minority, majority with Greens, second referendum occurs, second referendum goes No.
    That is actually my expected result - the issue needs to be laid to bed and the only way to do that is for the Scottish to see how much they are subsidised by the rest of the UK.

Which I know is something that MalcolmG is going to argue isn't the case but the reality is the oil has gone and Scotland has little else...
    You really are ignorant of Scotland, it has far more natural resources than England.
    Whatever - we are never going to agree
    Exactly , you spouting about things you have absolutely NO clue about is extremely pointless.
    Except for the fact you don't provide any evidence of anything that actually generates money.
    Maybe not an entirely non-partisan source, but here is some data to start with:

https://www.businessforscotland.com/scotland-is-one-of-the-worlds-most-naturally-wealthy-nations/

Of course, some of the countries with the greatest natural resources wealth are not exactly paradigms of paradise. Russia, Congo ...
    What tax revenue or profit comes from that. If it's just sat there being unutilised it's not worth anything.
    The question was over whether Scotland is rich in natural resources. The answer is yes.

Now the benefit of having natural resources is an entirely different question. You have many examples of low natural resource countries doing very well, many examples of high natural resource doing badly, and a few high resource countries doing well. I don't see much of a correlation between natural resources per se and economic performance.

However, there is a correlation between share of national income from exploitation of natural resources and overall economic performance - a negative correlation between over-dependence economically on natural resources and economic performance.

https://www.piie.com/publications/chapters_preview/6765/02iie6765.pdf
    It wasn't.

I only mentioned oil as that in the last referendum was the answer as to where all the additional revenue Scotland needed would come from. And my question has always been whether Scotland can afford to go independent and with a budget deficit of 8% a year since 2011 it's got 2 options, to massively reduces government expenditure or find additional tax revenue.
    Liar , I said it had lots of natural resources and you said it had nothing but whisky. You have been found out as an empty suit. You also have absolutely no clue what the budget or deficit would be like outside the UK, using the current UK mess is never going to be replicated. You guys cannot see reason and just spout crap because you cannot stand the thought that Scotland can survive on its own, bricking it that England has as much chance of failing on its own and not wishing it to be so.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited April 2021

kinabalu said:

ITV drops Viewpoint after allegations made against star https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56940444

Yes - glad I'd only invested in one episode.
    What nonsense though. They won't broadcast it, but they will stream it....

I mean you either take a stance over as yet unproven allegations or you don't.
    It's utter nonsense. I won't say the W word. Really pisses me off and and discourtesy to the other actors and actresses and the many others who produced the programme.
  • Options
    felix said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19270556.john-curtice-polls-show-snp-independence-support-slipping/

Professor JohnCurtice (for it is He) says that whilst SNP support is slipping, the Greens are romping along, so a majority of MSPs will support independence. Strap yourselves in - when HYUFD explodes as a result of Boris doing what he has endlessly said he won't do, it will be messy.

Although I support Scottish independence, I think the funniest result "for the bantz" would be SNP minority, majority with Greens, second referendum occurs, second referendum goes No.
    That is actually my expected result - the issue needs to be laid to bed and the only way to do that is for the Scottish to see how much they are subsidised by the rest of the UK.

Which I know is something that MalcolmG is going to argue isn't the case but the reality is the oil has gone and Scotland has little else...
    Don’t forget as well, rUK will be paying Scottish pensions in the event of indy
    More garbage, Scotland will pay its own pensions like normal countries, England will pay the debts it owes for the money people paid into their pension scam scheme or perhaps welch on their commitments.
    There are no such 'debts' owed by England other than to english people. The OAP doesn't work that way. Current Scots would pay Scottish pensions , etc
    The UK government guarantees to pay a state pension to anyone, UK citizen or not, that has made sufficient qualifying contributions.
    Ha ha nice try!
    Intelligent response as usual.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

A Nigerian qualifies for a UK state pension having worked in London for 30 years and has recently retired and moved to Edinburgh.

Scotland becomes independent.

Who pays his future pension liability?

Who pays if he then moves to New York?

You will have their heads spinning soon.
    LOLs. Presumably, Scottish citizens, as UK citizens, currently pay a share of that Nigerian's pension. I presume they will continue to do so after independence.

[Ducks and takes cover]
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    felix said:

Alistair said:

A Nigerian qualifies for a UK state pension having worked in London for 30 years and has recently retired and moved to Edinburgh.

That would depend entirely on his status if he became a Scottish citizen it would be Scotland , etc, etc
    I suspect it would be where he was tax resident...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,666
    THE nationalised shipyard company at the centre of Scotland's ferry building fiasco has made a £100m loss in its first four months of Scottish Government control.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19269200.state-run-ferry-fiasco-ferguson-marine-shipyard-firm-makes-100m-loss-four-months/
  • Options
    eek said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:

We've discussed this before but for me it's pretty clear. He has 30 years of conts and will receive his UK state pension wherever he lives, but not quite a full one because that needs 35 years contribs. It is not conditional upon living in the UK, only building up contribs in the UK.

Whether the state pension is index linked, however, will depend on which country he moves to. E.g. Canada, Australia no - USA, Spain yes.
    That doesn't answer the question - as the UK won't exist if Scotland leaves. The question is which country (independent Scotland or rUK) take responsibility for the pension upon separation. And given that the person now lives in Edinburgh I would expect it to be the (newly Independent) Scottish Government.

Others around here think different but I've not seen any reason as to why that would be the case. When the USSR and Czechoslovakia split up pensions became the responsibility of the country the person was living in (Countries picked as they were the last countries to split up that had such things)
    "The UK won't exist if Scotland leaves" - not true surely? UK remains without Scotland in it. If what you say is true then everyone in the UK must get a vote in any referendum not just the Scots.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Perhaps PB motorists can give me advice.

The last car I owned was a 1967 Triumph Herald convertible. That was back in Auckland, when I was a student.

Fast forward twenty odd years.

I live in London Zone 2, with a driveway. I have two small kids. I would like a car for the wife to commute in, and for country trips on the weekend.

I am not suffering a mid-life crisis and do not need a Ferrari. But I also hate cheap plasticky cars.

What kind of car should I get?
    And, do I buy or lease?

budget?
    I am not a car person; largely I regard them as frustrating opex rather than sensible capex.

So, I am reasonable well off I suppose, but begrudge the cost I am likely to need to spend.

Does that help?
    Seconded on a BMW X series (5 is the biggest, 3 is a smaller 5 and 1 is the SUV of the Touring). Or touring if you prefer closer to the ground and traditional rear wheel drive.

But we are all skating on thin ice here once Dura comes on and spells out exactly what it is you actually do need.
    X7 is the largest BMW SUV. This discussion is like watching me try to opine on wine or coffee.
    What do you make of hybrids?

I'm asking for a mate who because of the ULEZ expansion will have to kiss goodbye to his beloved old Merc.
    New clean diesels are Ulez exempt – you don't need to buy a hybrid should you prefer an ICE.
    Yes, I'll probably get another (and final) ICE. Only true compelling reason I need a car is golf. Otherwise I could just do hire and uber and train/bus. Golf, you have to have your own car.
    I have been known to throw the (pitch and putt) clubs in the boot of an Uber so I can have a few quiet pints afterwards.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

MaxPB said:

Just got my Covid Vaccine invitation via text! 💉😁

Will be going tomorrow morning.

38 years old, so into the thirties now.

Not long now, and good to see there's available slots for first doses without any issues or waiting for a week.
    Indeed, I wasn't expecting to get my invite for a few more weeks.

The link came with an address I could get the jab at, and an option to choose different times at different dates. I chose the first available slot at 9:10am tomorrow morning. No point dilly dallying.
    Beginning tomorrow we will be monitoring your post to see IF there are any signs of adverse reaction to the jab.

My prognostication: the vac may make your posts even nuttier than per usual!

[EDIT] Just kidding! (I think!!)
    Hehe. I think if the vaccine had been rolled out under a Labour government, rather than one led (and I use that word loosely) by his hero from Eton, Philip would have been a fully paid up Q-Anon antivaxer.
    Only because you're an illiterate fool who can't tell the difference.

That you think that, despite my repeated unequivocal attacks on Trumpism, QAnon and anything like that, which others have said to you time and again too, just shows that you're an ignorant zealot yourself.

You have never been able to see or show a single thing Trumpist about me. My philosophy isn't hidden, I want to see a liberal, small, Thatcherite English state. I would welcome anyone who wants to migrate to England to do so, so long as they can support themselves and pay taxes I'd be very happy to see immigration go up as long as they have no claim on benefits.

What about that is Q?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    eek said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

That would depend entirely on his status if he became a Scottish citizen it would be Scotland , etc, etc
    No - I am tax resident in Spain but not a Spanish citizen - I retain my full UK pension.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

You really are ignorant of Scotland, it has far more natural resources than England.
    Exactly , you spouting about things you have absolutely NO clue about is extremely pointless.
    Except for the fact you don't provide any evidence of anything that actually generates money.

https://www.businessforscotland.com/scotland-is-one-of-the-worlds-most-naturally-wealthy-nations/

Of course, some of the countries with the greatest natural resources wealth are not exactly paradigms of paradise. Russia, Congo ...
    What tax revenue or profit comes from that. If it's just sat there being unutilised it's not worth anything.
    The question was over whether Scotland is rich in natural resources. The answer is yes.

Now the benefit of having natural resources is an entirely different question. You have many examples of low natural resource countries doing very well, many examples of high natural resource doing badly, and a few high resource countries doing well. I don't see much of a correlation between natural resources per se and economic performance.

However, there is a correlation between share of national income from exploitation of natural resources and overall economic performance - a negative correlation between over-dependence economically on natural resources and economic performance.

It wasn't.

I only mentioned oil as that in the last referendum was the answer as to where all the additional revenue Scotland needed would come from. And my question has always been whether Scotland can afford to go independent and with a budget deficit of 8% a year since 2011 it's got 2 options, to massively reduces government expenditure or find additional tax revenue.
    Liar , I said it had lots of natural resources and you said it had nothing but whisky. You have been found out as an empty suit. You also have absolutely no clue what the budget or deficit would be like outside the UK, using the current UK mess is never going to be replicated. You guys cannot see reason and just spout crap because you cannot stand the thought that Scotland can survive on its own, bricking it that England has as much chance of failing on its own and not wishing it to be so.
    Nope - you just made assumptions that I was talking about natural resources when I've always been talking about that IFS budget estimate.

But there is zero point arguing with someone who believes a Scottish Tax payer should receive their pension from a rUK Government..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,838
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Hartlepool: Labour Party now out to 2.7 with BF. Is this too big?

I've topped up a bit, but I've no confidence in calling this one.

Listening to a reporter on the ground, she expects turnout to be low. Which party will this favour?

Might favour Labour if their GOTV op is superior.

But you know my feelings here. This should be a Con win and I personally don't think Lab at 2.7 is value.
    Shouldn't you be in your idyllic leafy pub where you can just waltz in to their rose garden and have a cold beer on Downshire Hill?
    I'm back now. Nice little interlude though. Couple of chilled ones in the middle of the day doesn't hurt. Felt no need to augment with any oysters, oddly.

The only downside was it still wasn't at all "leafy".
    But out of the way and quiet right. With a couple of tables. In Belsize Park.

Sounds like I might give it a go myself. Which pub is it?
    I had assumed The Stag, although the garden there is quite sizeable IIRC?
    Considering a family day trip to London on Sunday - not sure yet though as weather may not come right.

Any idea from you London chaps as to what to do/where to go? Shopping, no doubt, and we'd usually visit Borough Market but it's closed on Sundays. Spitalfields Market is open, is that a decent alternative?

Any other ideas. Or should we wait until 17 May when we can sit inside if it's a bit nippy?
    Borough Market is open on a Sunday, surely?

Spitalfields is fun, but not as good foodwise

Camden is looking quite buzzy, I just past it. Kids love it. Has good food. But there's not much else to do around there, unlike Borough or Spitalfields - unless you love Georgian architecture, Victorian canals and Regency parks

Just wandering around the City can be fun, especially at the moment, as it wakes from its lockdown slumber. A very eerie feeling, worth experiencing
    Camden (Town) can a bit sleazy though, don't you think? Or maybe that's me misinterpreting what I see.
    No you're not. Camden Town is horrible.
  • Options
    eek said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

If a Brit moved to Spain now - where would he pay tax and who would pay his pension ?

Answer might be Spain and the Uk. But not double Spain.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

It wasn't.

I don’t think there’s any doubt Scotland can survive on its own. What I do think is that the journey to that point will be long, protracted, difficult and will ultimately require Scotland to make extremely tough decisions.

To deny that is to kid the rest of the population. Whether that is worth the emotional case for Indy that is for Scotland to decide
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    edited April 2021
    Alistair said:

You know some of your fellow Nats, such as MalcolmG, have said if as part of the Scexit divorce deal Scotland doesn't get a fair deal in their eyes then an iScot are not taking on any liabilities, this is corollary of that.

The RUK will say well if you won't honour your debts then we won't honour our debts to you.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,163
    edited April 2021
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Listening to a reporter on the ground, she expects turnout to be low. Which party will this favour?

But you know my feelings here. This should be a Con win and I personally don't think Lab at 2.7 is value.
    Shouldn't you be in your idyllic leafy pub where you can just waltz in to their rose garden and have a cold beer on Downshire Hill?
    I'm back now. Nice little interlude though. Couple of chilled ones in the middle of the day doesn't hurt. Felt no need to augment with any oysters, oddly.

Considering a family day trip to London on Sunday - not sure yet though as weather may not come right.

Any idea from you London chaps as to what to do/where to go? Shopping, no doubt, and we'd usually visit Borough Market but it's closed on Sundays. Spitalfields Market is open, is that a decent alternative?

Any other ideas. Or should we wait until 17 May when we can sit inside if it's a bit nippy?

Camden is looking quite buzzy, I just past it. Kids love it. Has good food. But there's not much else to do around there, unlike Borough or Spitalfields - unless you love Georgian architecture, Victorian canals and Regency parks

Just wandering around the City can be fun, especially at the moment, as it wakes from its lockdown slumber. A very eerie feeling, worth experiencing
    Camden (Town) can a bit sleazy though, don't you think? Or maybe that's me misinterpreting what I see.
    Parts of it are truly horrible. Yet a few hundred yards from the Tube it becomes exquisite - if you go in the right direction. Primrose Hill must be one of the most desirable places to live in Europe.

It has all of London's contradictions in one little corner
  • Options

eek said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

If a Brit moved to Spain now - where would he pay tax and who would pay his pension ?

Now it would be UK and Spain (if he/she had entitlement in Spain). If what some posters are saying and the UK would't exist then what about those already in Spain etc who are currently receiving UK state pensions?
  • Options
    felix said:

eek said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

No - I am tax resident in Spain but not a Spanish citizen - I retain my full UK pension.
    Where people were Tax resident when contributions were made I suspect will be the deciding factor.

For people who were tax resident in Scotland their entire career that's simple enough, the Scottish state takes them.
    For people who were tax resident in rUK their entire career that's simple enough too.

What's going to be awkward is the people who've been across the UK through their career. That's a mess that will need resolving I suspect.

Of course in 2014 the Scottish Government were unequivocal that Scotland would be paying Scottish Pensions - and making the point they already do and its already set up. So I'm guessing it could just continue via who pays what already?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

A bit? Its like saying Boris is a bit liberal with the truth....
  • Options
    felix said:

Alistair said:

Actually no - I am wrong there. The Nigerian would almost certainly be paid his pension by the new Scottish government. It would depend on any post separation agreement however - regarding non-citizens of the new country. If he became a Scots citizen I think it near certain Scotland would carry the can.
  • Options

eek said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

But Scottish independence and payment of pensions is not analogous to an individual pensioner moving from one tax jurisdiction to another. It will be about how to split jointly assumed liabilities. I presume it would be part of a detailed divorce negotiation.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Parts of it are truly horrible. Yet a few hundred yards from the Tube it becomes exquisite - if you go in the right direction. Primrose Hill must be one of the most desirable places to live in Europe.

Yes, it's grim around the tube station then rapidly improves at the lock and beyond.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

ITV drops Viewpoint after allegations made against star https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56940444

It's utter nonsense. I won't say the W word. Really pisses me off and and discourtesy to the other actors and actresses and the many others who produced the programme.
    The logic in the past has been that any program featuring people subject to (Police) investigation have not been shown while the investigation is on going. 1 past example resulted in a series of Countdown episodes having to be skipped.

So I can see why ITV are deciding to show something else.
  • Options
    TimT said:

eek said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

But Scottish independence and payment of pensions is not analogous to an individual pensioner moving from one tax jurisdiction to another. It will be about how to split jointly assumed liabilities. I presume it would be part of a detailed divorce negotiation.
    Don't worry about such things - In Malcs world - rUK pays for everything forever.
  • Options
    TimT said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

You will have their heads spinning soon.
    LOLs. Presumably, Scottish citizens, as UK citizens, currently pay a share of that Nigerian's pension. I presume they will continue to do so after independence.

[Ducks and takes cover]
    Who knows what will be negotiated, in the end I am sure it will not mean pensions disappear. UK had to pay their full share of EU pensions obligations after all so why would this be different.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    Some more Caitlyn Jenner fun facts (via Politico.com) for punters to consider:

> Caitlyn Jenner did NOT vote in 2018 general when her opponent Gavin Newsom was elected Governor.

> Nor did Jenner vote in the 2016 general election, or in the previous gubernatorial recall election in 2003 that put Gov. Gray Davis out and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in.

> In fact, official voter records show that Jenner voted just 9 out of 26 CA statewide elections since 2000; all but two were in presidential-year general elections.

> "Meanwhile, Jenner's entrance into the race has given Newsom a new fundraising pitch, and his campaign said he collected $300,000 in the first 36 hours after her announcement. Newsom has played heavily on Jenner's reliance on Trump advisers, including Brad Parscale, who was for a time Trump's 2020 campaign manager."
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,188
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Not particularly out of the way.
    True. I can't then think what public house this is.

It's like the marginally less mundane follow up to The Girther Conspiracy.

Let's call it the The NW3 Mystery. It has all the hallmarks of another PB classic.
    Echoes of Boris. Just tell us.
    ALSO, didn't he say "in Hampstead"?

Now he says, "Belsize Park". Yes that is certainly *out of the way* in terms of Hampstead, since it is not actually in Hampstead

The mystery thickens
    There is no "now he says" about it.

I never said "in Hampstead". Or "leafy". The place is just a nice little bar, not some xanadu or platform 7 and a half that only "special ones" can find.

People trying to impute invention and shiftiness to what is purely straightforward reportage.
  • Options

Alistair said:

You know some of your fellow Nats, such as MalcolmG, have said if as part of the Scexit divorce deal Scotland doesn't get a fair deal in their eyes then an iScot are not taking on any liabilities, this is corollary of that.

The RUK will say well if you won't honour your debts then we won't honour our debts to you.
    You boys really are thick and mendacious. I explicitly said , unlike your lie, that if Scotland took a share of the UK debts then it would be entitled to a share of the UK assets. You cannot have your cake and eat it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Ah, so it remains on "ITV Hub" then, does it?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Alistair said:

I have to say that if the Scots won't take their share of UK liabilities I'd be entirely happy with us not paying their pensions.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

You boys really are thick and mendacious. I explicitly said , unlike your lie, that if Scotland took a share of the UK debts then it would be entitled to a share of the UK assets. You cannot have your cake and eat it.
    Of course you would take a share of assets.

Otherwise the UK would still own Holyrood Parliament etc.

Every new peacefully formed new country I can ever think about has taken a share of debts and a share of assets.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

The last car I owned was a 1967 Triumph Herald convertible. That was back in Auckland, when I was a student.

I live in London Zone 2, with a driveway. I have two small kids. I would like a car for the wife to commute in, and for country trips on the weekend.

I am not suffering a mid-life crisis and do not need a Ferrari. But I also hate cheap plasticky cars.

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?
    I am not a car person; largely I regard them as frustrating opex rather than sensible capex.

So, I am reasonable well off I suppose, but begrudge the cost I am likely to need to spend.

Does that help?
    Seconded on a BMW X series (5 is the biggest, 3 is a smaller 5 and 1 is the SUV of the Touring). Or touring if you prefer closer to the ground and traditional rear wheel drive.

But we are all skating on thin ice here once Dura comes on and spells out exactly what it is you actually do need.
    X7 is the largest BMW SUV. This discussion is like watching me try to opine on wine or coffee.

I'm asking for a mate who because of the ULEZ expansion will have to kiss goodbye to his beloved old Merc.
    New clean diesels are Ulez exempt – you don't need to buy a hybrid should you prefer an ICE.
    Yes, I'll probably get another (and final) ICE. Only true compelling reason I need a car is golf. Otherwise I could just do hire and uber and train/bus. Golf, you have to have your own car.
    "Golf, you have to have your own car."

Really? Way back when, as a cab driver in Baton Rouge, used to take Japanese sailors from their merchant ships back & forth to local (municipal) golf courses.

Also used to transport Norwegian sailors to & fro. NOT to golf courses, but in their case to a whorehouse just outside of town!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

It wasn't.

I don’t think there’s any doubt Scotland can survive on its own. What I do think is that the journey to that point will be long, protracted, difficult and will ultimately require Scotland to make extremely tough decisions.

To deny that is to kid the rest of the population. Whether that is worth the emotional case for Indy that is for Scotland to decide
    I think England will struggle for years as well but the hysteria , hypebole and downright lies by some people
    on here are astonishing. They just open their mouths and let their bellies rumble, pure conjecture built on ignorance. It may be tough it may not, but for sure the budget and policies will be very different from that imposed by London. Maybe for the better maybe not, I for one think it would be for the better, perhaps because I have money and am unlikely to be affected. It cannot be an advantage to have someone else deciding how your money is spent , they have no care for your interests.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I don't think there are many parts of London where you are not 100yds from potential death.

Perhaps around Wilton Place, the Campdens, some parts of Chelsea.

Other hugely desirable areas you are as likely to get mugged as find a nice quiet and out of the way pub.
  • Options

eek said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

Once resident you pay tax in Spain - except for Crown Pensions [ teachers, police, etc] - they remain largely taxed in the UK. There is no douible taxation here.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I don't understand why anyone still watches broadcast in 2021 but that seems a reasonable compromise to me.

Broadcast they are choosing the schedule, they are saying "at this time we are showing this". If you've got the channel on then it will come on automatically at this time.

Streaming its a case of no choice made. They're saying "if you want to watch this, you can, if you don't then don't."
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Let's call it the The NW3 Mystery. It has all the hallmarks of another PB classic.

Now he says, "Belsize Park". Yes that is certainly *out of the way* in terms of Hampstead, since it is not actually in Hampstead

The mystery thickens
    Don't remember the Hampstead bit. This was the exchange:

Kina: "I've had beers and coffees in a few places since April 12th and have not once had to give any personal details other than those on my debit card when I pay."

You: "In north London? Beers? Every pub was booked, around me, when I last looked. It’s one reason I bugged out for Cornwall. Has the sitch changed?"

The Kinmeister: "Mainly coffees/cafes tbf and the pub was out of the way and quiet."

Belsize Park came today I think.
    A long shot. I used to drink in The Washington, England's Lane, just off Belsize Park. But I don't think it has any outside space. And it's quite large.
    Don't think that's reopened yet. North London boozers seems to be a real PB area of expertise. Totally cross-dressed too. Reductive reactionaries and effete superwokies alike know their way around them. Great to see.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

The mystery thickens

I never said "in Hampstead". Or "leafy". The place is just a nice little bar, not some xanadu or platform 7 and a half that only "special ones" can find.

People trying to impute invention and shiftiness to what is purely straightforward reportage.
    So what is it then?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

It wasn't.

I think England will struggle for years as well but the hysteria , hypebole and downright lies by some people
    on here are astonishing. They just open their mouths and let their bellies rumble, pure conjecture built on ignorance. It may be tough it may not, but for sure the budget and policies will be very different from that imposed by London. Maybe for the better maybe not, I for one think it would be for the better, perhaps because I have money and am unlikely to be affected. It cannot be an advantage to have someone else deciding how your money is spent , they have no care for your interests.
    I agree with you and its why I think you'd be better off independent.

But its only honest to say that you're not just getting your own money now, you're getting transfers too.

However I still think Scotland will be better off independent even if it loses out on the transfers. The comparison really ought to be with Ireland - the Irish don't get any Barnett consequentials but they're better off than the Scots are. Because they've got a state ran for themselves to their own interests.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why an independent Scotland can't be every bit as successful as an independent Ireland is. Even if that means cutting the purse strings.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

The mystery thickens

Kina: "I've had beers and coffees in a few places since April 12th and have not once had to give any personal details other than those on my debit card when I pay."

You: "In north London? Beers? Every pub was booked, around me, when I last looked. It’s one reason I bugged out for Cornwall. Has the sitch changed?"

The Kinmeister: "Mainly coffees/cafes tbf and the pub was out of the way and quiet."

A long shot. I used to drink in The Washington, England's Lane, just off Belsize Park. But I don't think it has any outside space. And it's quite large.
    Don't think that's reopened yet. North London boozers seems to be a real PB area of expertise. Totally cross-dressed too. Reductive reactionaries and effete superwokies alike know their way around them. Great to see.
    I do hope you're not referring to me as an effete superwokie? Just because I used to live in Primrose Hill, surrounded by luvvies? And probably Leon, of course.

Anyway, I was priced out of Primrose Hill and moved to Hackney Downs, long before it was gentrified, to earn my gritty urban stripes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

The mystery thickens

So what is it then?
    Mods!
  • Options
    edited April 2021

kinabalu said:

I don't understand why anyone still watches broadcast in 2021 but that seems a reasonable compromise to me.

Broadcast they are choosing the schedule, they are saying "at this time we are showing this". If you've got the channel on then it will come on automatically at this time.

Streaming its a case of no choice made. They're saying "if you want to watch this, you can, if you don't then don't."
    I watch broadcast TV here in the US because it is free, except for the cost of a converter box. (My old one died recently after many years of faithful service, cost $50 or thereabouts for replacement.)

Personally wouldn't pay a plugged nickel for content via the internet, except of course for the monthly access fees extorted by my provider.

Here in the States there are plenty like us, mostly geezers it seems based on the ads run on the channels created for us that run old movies & sitcoms. Which are 90% for burial insurance, assisted living centers and "Help I can't get up!" ads for MedicAlert.

Also watch free movies & other stuff on YouTube. Amazing what's available. For example, just watched "Battle of the River Platte (aka Pursuit of the Graf Spee)" (1956). NOT cutting edge, but very entertaining and informative.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    edited April 2021
    glw said:

Alistair said:

I have to say that if the Scots won't take their share of UK liabilities I'd be entirely happy with us not paying their pensions.
    Back in 2014 Osborne and Carney assured the markets that if Scotland voted for independence no matter what RUK would honour the UK's debts, I'd expect the same at the time of the next Indyref to reassure the markets, so this threat from the Nats would be an empty threat.

Back in 2014 Osborne was too nice to point out the direct consequences of that to an IScot, I suspect this time a Chancellor won't be so nice.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

Alistair said:

Back in 2014 Osborne and Carney assured the markets that if Scotland voted for independence no matter what RUK would honour the UK's debts, I'd expect the same at the time of the next Indyref to reassure the markets, so this threat from the Nats would be an empty threat.

Back in 2014 Osborne was too nice to point out the direct consequences of that to an IScot, I suspect this time a Chancellor won't be so nice.
    Good.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Striking map.

I know - Portugal have done really well...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    edited April 2021
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Thanks for the achingly dull recommendations, although I accept my requirement is achingly dull.

So, do I buy or lease?

FWIW I buy and write it off. Probably not the cheapest, but I simply can't be arsed with leases and finance on cars and all the Delboy nonsense that goes with it.
    Except that if you lease you tend to get better offers on the purchase price, and there are some very low interest (indeed a few zero per cent) offers around. If you can get a zero per cent lease offer, you don’t need to decide whether to buy the car until the three years are up, at no extra cost.
    But be careful about your mileage. Buy gap insurance if you think your annual mileage might exceed the lease terms - otherwise you'll get a big bill at the end of the lease and lose the car.
    If you buy the car at the end of the lease, the mileage makes no difference, whatever you agreed at the beginning. The mileage charges are only relevant if you hand back the car.

And gap insurance is for a different issue entirely - the difference between the market value and the purchase price, if you write the car off early in its life. It’s worth getting (although not necessarily from the manufacturer).
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

I have been known to throw the (pitch and putt) clubs in the boot of an Uber so I can have a few quiet pints afterwards.
    Yes, that can work for a casual game. And I've done it. But if you're playing a lot - and especially at a smart club - you need to be arriving in your own car and controlling your environment and your prep. It's part of the ritual.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited April 2021
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I don't think there are many parts of London where you are not 100yds from potential death.

Perhaps around Wilton Place, the Campdens, some parts of Chelsea.

Other hugely desirable areas you are as likely to get mugged as find a nice quiet and out of the way pub.
    Potential death? London is probably one of the safest cities in the world with more than 5 million people.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

I'm eyeing up the new Yaris hybrid for when my ancient Fiesta finally dies. It looks pretty nifty with the F1-esque nose.

I rented one of those for a trip to France years ago. I couldn't believe how efficient it was – IIRC I only spent about €35 on fuel for ten days of buzzing about. Extraordinary.
    Hybrids come into their own on local trips and back roads; on a long motorway trip the advantage is much smaller. The mpg on a hybrid for urban or rural driving is greater than on the motorway, which is the opposite way round to an ICE car.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I'd be pretty certain that if Scotland becomes independent that every UK citizen will become either an rUK or a Scottish citizen. Most will be simply allocated the new citizenship but some may well have a choice (e.g. born in England living in Scotland and vice versa). The relevant state will pay pensions of citizens independent of residence. If you are English in Scotland you may lose the right to vote (and vice versa) unless there is some agreement on this. Dual citizenship will no doubt be something that can be applied for but that doesn't confer or change pension rights as far as I know.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

Really? Way back when, as a cab driver in Baton Rouge, used to take Japanese sailors from their merchant ships back & forth to local (municipal) golf courses.

Also used to transport Norwegian sailors to & fro. NOT to golf courses, but in their case to a whorehouse just outside of town!
    That sounds like an interesting but stressful job. Did it send you a bit "Bickle"?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

The mystery thickens

I do hope you're not referring to me as an effete superwokie? Just because I used to live in Primrose Hill, surrounded by luvvies? And probably Leon, of course.

Anyway, I was priced out of Primrose Hill and moved to Hackney Downs, long before it was gentrified, to earn my gritty urban stripes.
    No, don't worry. That was me and Anabobazini. You can't be "effete" with a name like Northern Al.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

It wasn't.

I agree with you and its why I think you'd be better off independent.

But its only honest to say that you're not just getting your own money now, you're getting transfers too.

However I still think Scotland will be better off independent even if it loses out on the transfers. The comparison really ought to be with Ireland - the Irish don't get any Barnett consequentials but they're better off than the Scots are. Because they've got a state ran for themselves to their own interests.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why an independent Scotland can't be every bit as successful as an independent Ireland is. Even if that means cutting the purse strings.
    Agree, but it took a while to get to that state. Wasn't helped by WWII, of course.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

I have a large hybrid from a well known German manufacturer. The only thing to really commend it is that it is warm when you get into it in the winter in the morning. Other than that I think the hybrid aspect of it is a bit pointless. It will only go about 15 miles on a full charge. The quoted MPG is ludicrous. I am thinking about going the whole hog and getting a fully electric at some point though
    If you have a five to seven mile commute every day, then that 15 mile range is awesome. It means that you basically never have to fill up your petrol tank, except when you take long trips - and because electricity is dramatically cheaper than petrol, you save money too.

Compared to electric, on long trips, you don't have to worry about range anxiety.

And those plug-in hybrids feel a bit more "nippy" than a regular ICE because they can use petrol and electricty when accelerating.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

I'd be pretty certain that if Scotland becomes independent that every UK citizen will become either an rUK or a Scottish citizen. Most will be simply allocated the new citizenship but some may well have a choice (e.g. born in England living in Scotland and vice versa). The relevant state will pay pensions of citizens independent of residence. If you are English in Scotland you may lose the right to vote (and vice versa) unless there is some agreement on this. Dual citizenship will no doubt be something that can be applied for but that doesn't confer or change pension rights as far as I know.

I really wish an independent Scotland the very best of luck. Happy to help too. Somebody put me down for a food parcel.
  • Options
    Seattle Times - How to reach the ‘fence sitters’? Men lag behind women on COVID vaccination in Washington state

Men in Washington state — who represent 53% of deaths from the coronavirus — are at the same time receiving far less than their share of life-protecting vaccines.

It’s a trend vexing researchers studying COVID-19, physicians treating it and public health officials leading the charge against the disease.

Of those fully vaccinated as of April 19, 57.1% were women. Men, meanwhile, were at 42.2%, with gender going unreported or reported as “other” in the remainder of data shared by the Washington Department of Health. Washington’s vaccine gender gap mirrors the nationwide trend.

Addendum - according to ST, gap between women versus men receiving vaccination is greatest in Western WA, which in political terms is much more Democratic than Eastern WA.

And east of the Cascades, the gap is widest in the less Republican counties.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

I'm eyeing up the new Yaris hybrid for when my ancient Fiesta finally dies. It looks pretty nifty with the F1-esque nose.

I'm hoping my Peugeot is good for another 100k.
  • Options

Why wouldn't every person left in Scotland (and there would be a big exodus) not in that consideration then choose to have a rUk passport as it would assure you a pension.

Would anyone give up their assured pension to have a vote in an Indy Scotland ?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

That sounds like an interesting but stressful job. Did it send you a bit "Bickle"?
    Yes to the first bit. As to your question, please translate?
  • Options

Seattle Times - How to reach the ‘fence sitters’? Men lag behind women on COVID vaccination in Washington state

Men in Washington state — who represent 53% of deaths from the coronavirus — are at the same time receiving far less than their share of life-protecting vaccines.

It’s a trend vexing researchers studying COVID-19, physicians treating it and public health officials leading the charge against the disease.

Of those fully vaccinated as of April 19, 57.1% were women. Men, meanwhile, were at 42.2%, with gender going unreported or reported as “other” in the remainder of data shared by the Washington Department of Health. Washington’s vaccine gender gap mirrors the nationwide trend.

Addendum - according to ST, gap between women versus men receiving vaccination is greatest in Western WA, which in political terms is much more Democratic than Eastern WA.

Is that because GOP women are not getting the vaccine also? (As opposed to more Dem women getting the vaccine in other areas)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1388146101685981189

It's clear that Starmer is just not doing good enough.

People know who Boris is, and they love him or hate him.

The more people see of Starmer, the more they dislike.

The detailed report is interestingly nuanced. They say that Johnson is widely disbelieved, even by Conservatives, and relatively few say they "don't know" or aren't following the story. They go on:

"Might it simply be the fact that the public are aware of the stories, think that the Prime Minister has done wrong, but ultimately it does not deviate from their expectations about him or about politics in general?

Looking at data on trust in politics and in Boris Johnson, this rather sombre theory may well hold some weight. Only around one fifth to one quarter of the public in any given survey report that they trust politicians, and the figure tends to be even lower for trust in government. Our latest data suggests that only 28% of people trust Members of Parliament to tell the truth.

Further, the majority of the British public think that Boris Johnson is untrustworthy. Our latest polling on this question revealed that 52% of the population said Johnson was not to be trusted, versus 30% who trusted him (net -22). These figures compare badly to Keir Starmer, of whom 26% say is untrustworthy versus 35% who view him as trustworthy (net +9).

So, why is vote intention not moving in the face of repeated negative news stories about the country’s Prime Minister? The answer could be as simple as the public expect nothing better. While there is certainly an amount of party-political framing going on, and a fair degree of uncertainty about what has actually happened, we already know that voters do not have very positive views about politics and politicians, and stories such as those dominating the news cycle this week do nothing to challenge that.

If the crisis deepens for Johnson and he finds himself facing potential charges and prosecution, this may well tip the balance. For now, however, the stories are certainly sticking in the minds of the public, but don’t appear to be changing them."
  • Options
    TimT said:

Is that because GOP women are not getting the vaccine also? (As opposed to more Dem women getting the vaccine in other areas)
    Suspect that may be the case.

Anecdote alert: yesterday happened to run into a friend, who told me that her husband has been vaccinated but she has not, because she's "still thinking about it".

Not sure why the hesitancy in her case. FYI she's a Native American in excellent physical shape; she drives a truck for Seattle Public Libraries and his all the time hauling tons of books on and off her truck.

I tried my humble best to gently persuade her that getting jabbed is a VERY good thing to do.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

Anyone born in the current UK while it exists would be entitled to citizenship of rUK. it's how it worked when RoI became fully independent. I'm not sure of the date but it's similar to the reason that Terry Wogan could be given a full knighthood whereas Bob Geldof can't despite them both being born in RoI. People living in Scotland at the time of independence would be able to choose citizenship and people born in Scotland living in rUK would be entitled to Scottish citizenship.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

Ah sorry. I meant De Niro in Taxi Driver. The iconic "Travis Bickle" character.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2021
    felix said:

Alistair said:

No, he's a Nigerian. Who is eligible for and receives a UK state pension due to his years of qualifying NIC payments. He is neither a Scottish nor British citizen.

Who pays his UK state pension?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

More garbage, Scotland will pay its own pensions like normal countries, England will pay the debts it owes for the money people paid into their pension scam scheme or perhaps welch on their commitments.
    There are no such 'debts' owed by England other than to english people. The OAP doesn't work that way. Current Scots would pay Scottish pensions , etc
    The UK government guarantees to pay a state pension to anyone, UK citizen or not, that has made sufficient qualifying contributions.
    The clown just talks through his posterior. They are so ignorant due to their bigotry that they cannot even rationalise that if you have paid someone for a pension they cannot just dump you, pathetic.
    Except they're not dumping you, if you vote for independence then you're voting to dump them. Since pensions are PAYG, in the future Scottish taxes and Scottish pensions would be the responsibility of the Scottish state.

Otherwise are you expecting to still be paying taxes to Westminster in the future?
    The British state currently, right this second, pays non-uk citizens who are not resident in the UK a British state pension.

That's because the law says that anyone who has qualified for a state pension gets a state pension.

These are people who are currently no contributing a single penny of tax to the UK exchequer.

Now, non-residents do not get the annual _increases_ to the state pension - they get the pension at the level it was first awarded to them but that is the setup.
    Law? Which law? I mean this is really basic. Scotland would be outside of the UK for jurisdictional purposes. There's simply no way that and independent Scotland could count on the UK treasury for anything at all.
    The one's covering state pension eligibility? Based on how many years of qualifying NICs you have made?

I mean this is really basic.

Literally anyone in the world who has made sufficient NICs gets a UK state pen sion if they want one.
    Under what jurisdiction? UK law will no longer apply.
    So upon Scottish independence all British laws are rendered void?

This is an exciting frontier of lawlessness we approach.
  • Options

TimT said:

Suspect that may be the case.

Anecdote alert: yesterday happened to run into a friend, who told me that her husband has been vaccinated but she has not, because she's "still thinking about it".

Not sure why the hesitancy in her case. FYI she's a Native American in excellent physical shape; she drives a truck for Seattle Public Libraries and his all the time hauling tons of books on and off her truck.

I tried my humble best to gently persuade her that getting jabbed is a VERY good thing to do.
    Ditto with a neighbour (horse woman, very independent, no idea of politics). She hates vaccines in general (though not really an anti-vaxxer), but is holding out for J&J as it's only one shot. I tried the 'the best vaccine is the one you can get today' line with her - and MD is walk-up, no appointment vaccinations now at the super centers - but to no avail.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

Thanks, really should have picked up on that.

Was a bit stressful at times, but not THAT bad! One of the worst parts, was that the air conditioning in the cabs only worked when you had a paying fare. Which was a bit of a hardship in south Louisiana in the summertime! Knew every bit of shade where you could park a car in the whole damn town.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    Alistair said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

No, he's a Nigerian. Who is eligible for and receives a UK state pension due to his years of qualifying NIC payments. He is neither a Scottish nor British citizen.

Who received their pensions from the tax and NIC payments he made?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    The stark difference between Norway and Finland, and Sweden is profound.
  • Options

Alistair said:

So you are going with the rUK stopping paying the Nigerian's pension then?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

I have a large hybrid from a well known German manufacturer. The only thing to really commend it is that it is warm when you get into it in the winter in the morning. Other than that I think the hybrid aspect of it is a bit pointless. It will only go about 15 miles on a full charge. The quoted MPG is ludicrous. I am thinking about going the whole hog and getting a fully electric at some point though
    If you have a five to seven mile commute every day, then that 15 mile range is awesome. It means that you basically never have to fill up your petrol tank, except when you take long trips - and because electricity is dramatically cheaper than petrol, you save money too.

Compared to electric, on long trips, you don't have to worry about range anxiety.

And those plug-in hybrids feel a bit more "nippy" than a regular ICE because they can use petrol and electricty when accelerating.
    Don't get me wrong the technology is amazing. However, if I compare it with the same model diesel version Chelsea tractor, it is very expensive.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    My grandmother is a French citizen, not a British citizen, although she is a resident and has been for 60+ years. She gets the state pension.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Alistair said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

As I said earlier, this is an obligation jointly assumed by all current UK citizens. The provenance going forward of jointly assumed obligations will no doubt be part of the complex divorce negotiations. It is naive to assume that all such jointly assumed obligations will be left entirely to rUK.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

I suspect that it'll depend on the Treaty signed by rUK and IScot. there would have to be a lot of co-operation initially to ensure that people can get the pensions that they are entitled to when they are entitled to them. I suspect that the someone is living in Scotland at the time of independence then they'd automatically become the responsibility of IScot
  • Options
    Alistair said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

As far as I know that depends upon where you've been paying your NICs too.

In Scotland it is the centre in Motherwell and Dundee that processes them and they're the ones that an independent Scotland planned to continue doing so in 2013. https://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/3000/https://www.gov.scot/resource/0043/00434502.pdf - page 41.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

The clown just talks through his posterior. They are so ignorant due to their bigotry that they cannot even rationalise that if you have paid someone for a pension they cannot just dump you, pathetic.
    Except they're not dumping you, if you vote for independence then you're voting to dump them. Since pensions are PAYG, in the future Scottish taxes and Scottish pensions would be the responsibility of the Scottish state.

Otherwise are you expecting to still be paying taxes to Westminster in the future?
    The British state currently, right this second, pays non-uk citizens who are not resident in the UK a British state pension.

That's because the law says that anyone who has qualified for a state pension gets a state pension.

These are people who are currently no contributing a single penny of tax to the UK exchequer.

Now, non-residents do not get the annual _increases_ to the state pension - they get the pension at the level it was first awarded to them but that is the setup.
    Law? Which law? I mean this is really basic. Scotland would be outside of the UK for jurisdictional purposes. There's simply no way that and independent Scotland could count on the UK treasury for anything at all.
    The one's covering state pension eligibility? Based on how many years of qualifying NICs you have made?

Literally anyone in the world who has made sufficient NICs gets a UK state pen sion if they want one.

In Scotland, yes. You wouldn't be in the UK any more. It's the whole point of independence.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The main lesson I take from the last 15 months is that risk and probability need to be taught in schools, because most people don't seem to have a clue about either of them.

My main argument to my vac-hesitant friend, was that the odds of a bad outcome from vaccination are MUCH MUCH less than odds of getting COVID without a jab.

And that WITH vaccination the odds of getting it are VERY low, and ditto with the odds of getting seriously sick or becoming contagious IF you do come down with the crud anyway.
  • Options

My grandmother is a French citizen, not a British citizen, although she is a resident and has been for 60+ years. She gets the state pension.

She's a resident.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

Great film - De Niro at his best surely?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I imagine probably if they're currently getting paid by Motherwell then probably yes.
    I imagine probable if they're currently getting paid by Burnley then probably no.

What do you think?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

In Scotland, yes. You wouldn't be in the UK any more. It's the whole point of independence.
    Cool, so we've established the UK government would still pay state pensions to Scottish people then as directed by the law.

Bonza.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

there is no such thing as british law. there's Scottish law already and it'd continue to apply. Just like Northern Irish Law would or Engish or Welsh.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Cool, so we've established the UK government would still pay state pensions to Scottish people then as directed by the law.

Bonza.
    Probably yes, if they're currently getting paid by eg the Burnley pension centre because that's who's been receiving their NICs then making their payments.

If they were processed by Motherwell or Dundee then no. Would be the responsibility of iScot.

Scottish pensions are already independently processed separate to English ones, so . . . that's why the Scottish Government in 2013 said they'd continue with that. What's changed?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Bonza.
    No? You can lie to yourself about what independence entails if you want. Maybe it helps you sleep at night. The facts are that the UK government isn't going to be paying out for Scotland once it becomes independent. Pensions are part of that responsibility of being independent. If you don't like it maybe you've wasted the last 20 years of your life campaigning for it.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The main lesson I take from the last 15 months is that risk and probability need to be taught in schools, because most people don't seem to have a clue about either of them.

My main argument to my vac-hesitant friend, was that the odds of a bad outcome from vaccination are MUCH MUCH less than odds of getting COVID without a jab.

And that WITH vaccination the odds of getting it are VERY low, and ditto with the odds of getting seriously sick or becoming contagious IF you do come down with the crud anyway.
    Most risks of the type that cause people problems are not actually amenable to quantitive approaches. Sure, probabilities have to be understood by those driving public health policies and decision-making, but they have very little impact on how individuals act - and not for issues of ignorance, but more issues of biology and social psychology.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

The stark difference between Norway and Finland, and Sweden is profound.

What about Albania? Seems to be going almost as well as we are.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It is a risk for him but he can easily move back to the RUK and get his pension paid that way.

Scottish independence means Scottish independence.

You Scot Nats are like the Brexiteers, you think after the divorce the wife is still going to give you a blowjob every day after the divorce. Ain't happening.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Pulpstar said:
    Starmer is really quite good (as Labour types go). His advisors and PR team seem really quite poor.

Quite ridiculously in this instance he doesn't look his normal (and quite reasonable) 'totally embarrassed'.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Bonza.
    No? You can lie to yourself about what independence entails if you want. Maybe it helps you sleep at night. The facts are that the UK government isn't going to be paying out for Scotland once it becomes independent. Pensions are part of that responsibility of being independent. If you don't like it maybe you've wasted the last 20 years of your life campaigning for it.
    It makes me wonder what's changed from 2013 that the Scots are seemingly terrified of being responsible for Scottish pensions, when they were proud that it was easily sorted 8 years ago.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

Don't get me wrong the technology is amazing. However, if I compare it with the same model diesel version Chelsea tractor, it is very expensive.
    If you do 240 commute days of 15 miles, that's roughly 4,000 miles a year. At 30 mpg, that's 133 gallons or roughly £750. Less the cost of electricity, that's £600 of savings a year.

Now, you also have road tax savings, etc. So shall we say £900 of savings over the year?

So the price gap really has to be £2,500 or less to make economic sense - and that's for people who commute every day.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

Are you talking to me, Stocky?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

My personal favorite De Niro performance is in "Analyze This"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp_0ChLUn3s
  • Options
    TimT said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

Alistair said:

As I said earlier, this is an obligation jointly assumed by all current UK citizens. The provenance going forward of jointly assumed obligations will no doubt be part of the complex divorce negotiations. It is naive to assume that all such jointly assumed obligations will be left entirely to rUK.
    Of course in reality there would be a negotiated settlement between rUK and Sco but there seems a great mant people on this board who don't understand how thr uk state pension works and don't realise that "being foreign" isn't a disqualifying criteria for receiving a UK state pension.

And say things had went nuclear and we were looking at a hard divorce I do t think anyone on this board has been able to suggest how the law would be changed to stop Scottish pensioners receibging the UK state pensions without also stopping other foreign nationals receivong their obligate doe sion payments.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    edited April 2021
    Pulpstar said:

It's the obligatory boxing pic for Starmer !

Hmm...
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It is a risk for him but he can easily move back to the RUK and get his pension paid that way.

Scottish independence means Scottish independence.

You Scot Nats are like the Brexiteers, you think after the divorce the wife is still going to give you a blowjob every day after the divorce. Ain't happening.
    Hey now, I think that's an unfair characterisation. Most people voting to leave fully understood it would mean the end to a lot of the "niceties" but figures it was still worth it. As it happens border pedantry is the main problem wrt food trade and I have to say it's a real who gives a fuck situation for me. We didn't vote leave and then say, please EU Commission, please pay for our pensions. In fact as the leaving party we took ok the pension liabilities of British citizens who worked for the EU as it's the responsible thing to do.

The delusion of the Nats on what the UK will keep paying for after independence is actually quite funny, but I guess it helps them sleep at night.
This discussion has been closed.