Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Setting the scene for next Thursday’s local elections – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    There's a fun video of a Belgian parking in his garage which is only 6cm wider than the car. I doubt you could get a modern car that fits.

https://twitter.com/moylato/status/1387139670962843658
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

Just got my Covid Vaccine invitation via text! 💉😁

Will be going tomorrow morning.

38 years old, so into the thirties now.

Not long now, and good to see there's available slots for first doses without any issues or waiting for a week.
    Indeed, I wasn't expecting to get my invite for a few more weeks.

The link came with an address I could get the jab at, and an option to choose different times at different dates. I chose the first available slot at 9:10am tomorrow morning. No point dilly dallying.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    felix said:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/local-mayoral-parliamentary-scottish-welsh-elections-results-polls

Peter Kellner has summarised various targets for each party to claim success.

Conservatives

Open up a five-point lead over Labour in projected Britain-wide vote share
    Re-elect Tory mayors in West Midlands and Tees Valley and win mayoral election in West Yorkshire
    Gain Hartlepool parliamentary seat from Labour
    Win at least 25 per cent support in constituency vote in Scotland
    Win at least 20 (out of 60) seats in Welsh Parliament
    Gain votes in London mayoral election (having achieved 35 per cent of first-preference votes last time)

Labour

Overtake Tories in projected Britain-wide vote share
    Win London mayoralty outright on first preference votes (44 per cent last time)
    Defeat Tory incumbent mayors in West Midlands and Tees Valley; win mayoral election in West Yorkshire
    Hold Hartlepool parliamentary seat
    Win absolute majority in Welsh Parliament (two short last time)

Liberal Democrats

Win at least 16 per cent of projected Britain-wide vote share
    Gain more council seats than they lose
    Win at least 10 per cent of constituency vote in elections to the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly (8 per cent in both elections last time)

SNP

Win overall majority in Scottish Parliament (they need 65 of the 129 seats; they won 63 last time)
    Keep Alex Salmond’s new Alba party out of the parliament completely

Greens

Win at least 8 per cent of first preference votes in the London mayoral election
    Gain 100 seats in English council elections
    Add to the six seats they won last time in Scotland

Plaid Cymru

Win at least 15 seats in Welsh Assembly (12 last time)
    Win at least 25 per cent of the vote in either the constituency or party list vote (21 per cent in both last time)

Golly - with targets like some of those I forecast that most will be losers!
    Only party I can see achieving all of their targets there next week is the Greens
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    McLarens are "cheap" if you lease them. Although they don't meet GW's requirements of not having a shitty plastic interior and his kids would have to sit on the roof.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

I wonder how much awareness there is in the non-political society that there is an election ongoing right now, without campaigning etc?

Not much sign of it in my area. Received a few leaflets from the Tories, a couple from Labour, no others. On my road there's not many placards advertising parties - the house nearby that permanently flies a Unite the Union flag has a Vote Labour placard on its fence. Not seen any others.

At the last general election there were many more placards. Kinabalu might be interested to know that last time the houses that fly Union Jack flags mostly but not all had Tory placards at the General Election. None of them have placards so far, only the Unite flag flying garden one does.

I guess it depends if they still watch 'live' TV - plenty of party politicals in the just before 'The One Show' slot.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2021
    MaxPB said:

Not long now, and good to see there's available slots for first doses without any issues or waiting for a week.
    When I got mine, it was a bit weird, I was able to go the next day or I wouldn't be offered anything for 2 weeks. Then my 2nd dose was only offered at sites only 100s of miles away.

I think the computer might have done a woophsie.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,008
    eek said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19270556.john-curtice-polls-show-snp-independence-support-slipping/

Professor JohnCurtice (for it is He) says that whilst SNP support is slipping, the Greens are romping along, so a majority of MSPs will support independence. Strap yourselves in - when HYUFD explodes as a result of Boris doing what he has endlessly said he won't do, it will be messy.

Although I support Scottish independence, I think the funniest result "for the bantz" would be SNP minority, majority with Greens, second referendum occurs, second referendum goes No.
    That is actually my expected result - the issue needs to be laid to bed and the only way to do that is for the Scottish to see how much they are subsidised by the rest of the UK.

Which I know is something that MalcolmG is going to argue isn't the case but the reality is the oil has gone and Scotland has little else...
    You really are ignorant of Scotland, it has far more natural resources than England.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

I wonder how much awareness there is in the non-political society that there is an election ongoing right now, without campaigning etc?

Not much sign of it in my area. Received a few leaflets from the Tories, a couple from Labour, no others. On my road there's not many placards advertising parties - the house nearby that permanently flies a Unite the Union flag has a Vote Labour placard on its fence. Not seen any others.

At the last general election there were many more placards. Kinabalu might be interested to know that last time the houses that fly Union Jack flags mostly but not all had Tory placards at the General Election. None of them have placards so far, only the Unite flag flying garden one does.

If turnout next week in England exceeds 40% we will be doing well.

Last time the county council seats were up in 2017 only 35% turned out and only 34% turned out for the 2016 district elections, by contrast 67% turned out for the 2019 UK general election.

General elections obviously always get higher turnout than local elections
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    I am just about to change my Skoda Superb for a Toyota Corolla Hybrid. It will be my first ever automatic and for the first time I will buy via a 3 year PCP. I just don't know how many more years of driving I have in me.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19270556.john-curtice-polls-show-snp-independence-support-slipping/

Professor JohnCurtice (for it is He) says that whilst SNP support is slipping, the Greens are romping along, so a majority of MSPs will support independence. Strap yourselves in - when HYUFD explodes as a result of Boris doing what he has endlessly said he won't do, it will be messy.

Although I support Scottish independence, I think the funniest result "for the bantz" would be SNP minority, majority with Greens, second referendum occurs, second referendum goes No.
    That is actually my expected result - the issue needs to be laid to bed and the only way to do that is for the Scottish to see how much they are subsidised by the rest of the UK.

Which I know is something that MalcolmG is going to argue isn't the case but the reality is the oil has gone and Scotland has little else...
    You really are ignorant of Scotland, it has far more natural resources than England.
    The haggis ranging freely over the glens in their herds are a majestic sight.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I doubt you could get a modern car that fits.

Honda S660. 1.48m wide like all kei cars.

Man, that fucker's Flemish accent is something else. Straight off a muddy beet field.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/local-mayoral-parliamentary-scottish-welsh-elections-results-polls

Conservatives

Re-elect Tory mayors in West Midlands and Tees Valley and win mayoral election in West Yorkshire
    Gain votes in London mayoral election (having achieved 35 per cent of first-preference votes last time)

Labour

Defeat Tory incumbent mayors in West Midlands and Tees Valley; win mayoral election in West Yorkshire

Liberal Democrats

Win at least 10 per cent of constituency vote in elections to the Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly (8 per cent in both elections last time)

SNP

Win overall majority in Scottish Parliament (they need 65 of the 129 seats; they won 63 last time)

Greens

Win at least 8 per cent of first preference votes in the London mayoral election

Plaid Cymru

Win at least 25 per cent of the vote in either the constituency or party list vote (21 per cent in both last time)

Only party I can see achieving all of their targets there next week is the Greens
    What, an end to global warming?
  • Options

We are can't take a stance or join a lobbying campaign, but we are taking a stance....

The BBC as a corporation cannot take part in the campaign. We have special duties that don't apply to other organisations under our Royal Charter and editorial guidelines that prevent us from joining lobbying campaigns. So while we have firm policies to deal with online abuse, the corporation cannot join a lobbying campaign no matter how worthy the cause.

This does not mean that the BBC is neutral on issues such as racism or hate crime. They are abhorrent.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/56942511

I genuinely don't see what all these clubs not tweeting for a couple of days will achieve.

Man Utd vs Liverpool this weekend too.

Something tells me the fans of the winning club will not stay quiet on social media.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Chip fat?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646
    Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

Perhaps PB motorists can give me advice.

The last car I owned was a 1967 Triumph Herald convertible. That was back in Auckland, when I was a student.

Fast forward twenty odd years.

I live in London Zone 2, with a driveway. I have two small kids. I would like a car for the wife to commute in, and for country trips on the weekend.

I am not suffering a mid-life crisis and do not need a Ferrari. But I also hate cheap plasticky cars.

What kind of car should I get?
    And, do I buy or lease?

budget?
    I am not a car person; largely I regard them as frustrating opex rather than sensible capex.

So, I am reasonable well off I suppose, but begrudge the cost I am likely to need to spend.

Does that help?
    I have a lot of time for the Asian brands as a rule of thumb, they tend to have much better value for money than the British or European brands and are a very good quality. Frequently just as often made here too.

I've not looked into new cars in a long time. My car is a Kia. It was far cheaper when I bought it than comparable cars then due to being a relatively unknown brand, but came with a seven year warranty as opposed to a three year one. I would strongly recommend them as a brand and anyone I know with a Kia has said the same, but I don't know if they're still as good value for money as they used to be.

I think they still all come now with a seven year warranty as standard which speaks to their respect in their own quality and reliability - not sure what other brands are like.

EDIT: Kia C'eed is my model, sort of an SUV but not as big as most SUVs. Would probably suit unless you want something smaller.
    I've recently bought a Hyundai i10 as a runaround and for my daughters to learn to drive in. It's perfect. It replaces a Audi A1 which I would have gone for again but for the insurance cost for learner drivers.

All cars are plasticky these days aren't they?

I'd recommend either of above two cars but maybe look at minis as well?
    I know nothing, but when has that stopped any of us? We have a Kia Picanto and I believe it is basically the same car as the Hyundai i10 under the bodywork, but you get 7 years rather than 5 year warranty. So if the Hyundai is recommended the Picanto must be in with a shout I guess.
  • Options

I guess it depends if they still watch 'live' TV - plenty of party politicals in the just before 'The One Show' slot.
    Good question. I haven't watched a PPB in years, except clicking links online as someone interested in politics.

How many people actually watch stuff like The One Show live? And not recorded, fast-forwarding through the PPBs?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Im not sure how the abundance of wind, water and dwindling oil levels will cover the current day to day spending of the snp. But there we go
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

What's live tv?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

The last car I owned was a 1967 Triumph Herald convertible. That was back in Auckland, when I was a student.

I live in London Zone 2, with a driveway. I have two small kids. I would like a car for the wife to commute in, and for country trips on the weekend.

I am not suffering a mid-life crisis and do not need a Ferrari. But I also hate cheap plasticky cars.

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?
    I am not a car person; largely I regard them as frustrating opex rather than sensible capex.

So, I am reasonable well off I suppose, but begrudge the cost I am likely to need to spend.

Does that help?
    I have a lot of time for the Asian brands as a rule of thumb, they tend to have much better value for money than the British or European brands and are a very good quality. Frequently just as often made here too.

I've not looked into new cars in a long time. My car is a Kia. It was far cheaper when I bought it than comparable cars then due to being a relatively unknown brand, but came with a seven year warranty as opposed to a three year one. I would strongly recommend them as a brand and anyone I know with a Kia has said the same, but I don't know if they're still as good value for money as they used to be.

I think they still all come now with a seven year warranty as standard which speaks to their respect in their own quality and reliability - not sure what other brands are like.

EDIT: Kia C'eed is my model, sort of an SUV but not as big as most SUVs. Would probably suit unless you want something smaller.
    I've recently bought a Hyundai i10 as a runaround and for my daughters to learn to drive in. It's perfect. It replaces a Audi A1 which I would have gone for again but for the insurance cost for learner drivers.

I know nothing, but when has that stopped any of us? We have a Kia Picanto and I believe it is basically the same car as the Hyundai i10 under the bodywork, but you get 7 years rather than 5 year warranty. So if the Hyundai is recommended the Picanto must be in with a shout I guess.
    A second thumbs up for the Picanto if you want a small vehicle.

I had a Picanto from 2005 to 2010, when I changed it for the C'eed. For a small car it is really good quality - and yes essentially an i10, with a longer warranty, and (last I saw) thousands off the list price.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

I've been Toyota for the last three cars. AA men frequently comment (when attending other vehicles, such as our classic mini), that they rarely attend Japanese cars as they are so reliable. I also know of a story from a mechanical engineer about Ford. Apparently they routinely castigate parts suppliers if the parts last too long. So if the spec says last 100,000 miles, Ford would prefer it to fail at 100,001, not 200,000.
    Currently have a hybrid. Bit of a con really, as the self-charging really just makes it more economical (so from about 40 mpg to more like 55 in reality). That said its automatic and electric drive, and drives really nicely.
    I think I'd prefer plug-in hybrid with small petrol tank as reserve if needed, at least until rapid charging is much more widely established.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,991
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Whatever - we are never going to agree
  • Options
    kjh said:

Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

If you are not into my niche fetish of having multiple partially disassembled non-functional high performance cars and just want pleasant and reliable transport then the Korean brands are terrific VFM.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

We're drowning in LibDem leaflets here - I've had six so far, all variations on the same themes: we are great personalities, only we can beat the Tories, Labour can't win. They narrowly hold one County seat here (where Labour didn't stand last time, but will this time - it was a deal and the LibDems reneged on a promise not to stand in the other seat) and have probably unrealistic hopes of taking the other. Only one Tory (keep council tax down, repair the roads) and two Labour leaflets (send a message to Johnson, improve schools, fight anti-social behaviour) so far. My subjective impression is that both Tories and LDs are short of deliverers, relying heavily on Royal Mail. Labour has lots of helpers this time following encouraging gains in the Borough elections but start from a weak position.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

I hear that the turnip harvests are the envy of the free world.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Im not sure how the abundance of wind, water and dwindling oil levels will cover the current day to day spending of the snp. But there we go
    Then an independent Scotland will need to grow its economy to afford all that day to day spending, or cut its cloth to what it can afford. Teach a man to fish ... what's not to like about that??
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Fenman said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Chip fat?
    Turnips?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

The haggis ranging freely over the glens in their herds are a majestic sight.
    They don't compare to the spaghetti forests of northern Italy! Or the paella pines of Andalucia!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Hartlepool: Labour Party now out to 2.7 with BF. Is this too big?

I've topped up a bit, but I've no confidence in calling this one.

Listening to a reporter on the ground, she expects turnout to be low. Which party will this favour?

Might favour Labour if their GOTV op is superior.

But you know my feelings here. This should be a Con win and I personally don't think Lab at 2.7 is value.
    What proportion are PVs already in I wonder. Still expect a tight Labour hold.
    Normally I’d expect over half to be returned by now - my guess would be 60%, with the remainder divided between the last weekend, and those that get taken to the polling station (perhaps less of those this year). An anecdotal report from our council is that the return of postal votes is so far lower than expected, especially with more applications due to the pandemic.
    c.40% returns yesterday in our area in Lancashire. Should get another update later today.
  • Options
    Accord to ONS figures 1 case per 1010 people - a 40% drop on last week.

We've hit herd immunity.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

I've been Toyota for the last three cars. AA men frequently comment (when attending other vehicles, such as our classic mini), that they rarely attend Japanese cars as they are so reliable. I also know of a story from a mechanical engineer about Ford. Apparently they routinely castigate parts suppliers if the parts last too long. So if the spec says last 100,000 miles, Ford would prefer it to fail at 100,001, not 200,000.
    Currently have a hybrid. Bit of a con really, as the self-charging really just makes it more economical (so from about 40 mpg to more like 55 in reality). That said its automatic and electric drive, and drives really nicely.
    I think I'd prefer plug-in hybrid with small petrol tank as reserve if needed, at least until rapid charging is much more widely established.
    I love my Toyota CH-R
  • Options
    edited April 2021

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Then an independent Scotland will need to grow its economy to afford all that day to day spending, or cut its cloth to what it can afford. Teach a man to fish ... what's not to like about that??
    Why does England not do that then , enlighten me. It runs a huge deficit but we never see you halfwits whining about how you will not survive.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Thanks for the achingly dull recommendations, although I accept my requirement is achingly dull.

So, do I buy or lease?

Honda Accord, achingly dull, but absolutely reliable, and very comfortable. Say, six years old, 40,000 miles on clock, price around £9 to £10k.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

We are can't take a stance or join a lobbying campaign, but we are taking a stance....

The BBC as a corporation cannot take part in the campaign. We have special duties that don't apply to other organisations under our Royal Charter and editorial guidelines that prevent us from joining lobbying campaigns. So while we have firm policies to deal with online abuse, the corporation cannot join a lobbying campaign no matter how worthy the cause.

This does not mean that the BBC is neutral on issues such as racism or hate crime. They are abhorrent.

I genuinely don't see what all these clubs not tweeting for a couple of days will achieve.

Lady on TalkSPORT was keen to stress that it is a social media boycott rather than a blackout as the latter phrase has negative racial connotations.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,593
    Does anyone else find it amusing that the abbreviation for Reform UK is Refuk?

Re-fu(c)k? Sounds like poetic justice!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Why does England not do that then , enlighten me.
    Because of pride and not wanting to lose the union I'm guessing?

They should.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Exactly , you spouting about things you have absolutely NO clue about is extremely pointless.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2021
    felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Don’t forget as well, rUK will be paying Scottish pensions in the event of indy
    More garbage, Scotland will pay its own pensions like normal countries, England will pay the debts it owes for the money people paid into their pension scam scheme or perhaps welch on their commitments.
    There are no such 'debts' owed by England other than to english people. The OAP doesn't work that way. Current Scots would pay Scottish pensions , etc
    The UK government guarantees to pay a state pension to anyone, UK citizen or not, that has made sufficient qualifying contributions.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Super Thursday ! Will it be the most ever UK seperate elections on one day ?

Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery - even when you get the day wrong.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Another Scotch expert, jog on.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I've had an off the wall idea re the wallpaper (ho ho).

The PM says he has now "covered" the costs. Odd word that - "covered".

Maybe what has happened is that the entire sum has been paid by the annual £30k allowance - using unused annual allowances from previous years and years to come. The original donor has been repaid from that sum. So the entire cost has come from the taxpayer but using the annual allowance the PM has for his flat.

The PM has not paid anything himself. He has simply covered the costs out of his annual allowance. The taxpayer has not been charged anything more than they would have been had the allowance been used up every year.

This would explain the tortured refusals to explain everything simply - not just because it looks greedy to blow a 5-year budget in one go but also because it looks bad to have to repay the original rich Tory donor.

Maybe completely wrong of course.

Oh and I doubt it will affect a single vote.

Unless it's different from MP allowances, you can't carry it forward (let alone anticipate it) - use it or lose ir.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Exactly , you spouting about things you have absolutely NO clue about is extremely pointless.
    Except for the fact you don't provide any evidence of anything that actually generates money.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Thanks for the achingly dull recommendations, although I accept my requirement is achingly dull.

So, do I buy or lease?

Honda Accord, achingly dull, but absolutely reliable, and very comfortable. Say, six years old, 40,000 miles on clock, price around £9 to £10k.
    Also, there are loads of cheap turbo kits for them on ebay. The stock K24 bottom end can go to 500hp before you blow it up.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Except for the fact you don't provide any evidence of anything that actually generates money.
    As wind power is taking over, surely Holyrood can generate enough hot air to get them through?
  • Options

I think the media will go 1. Hartlepool 2. Scotland 3. London/WM mayors 4. Net gains/losses, comparative year disregarded 5. BBC calculated vote share. Everything else will only get local reports.

What is the sequence with which results will come through? Most County seats are counting on Friday, I believe. So Hartlepool/Mayors/some district seats late Thursday, Counties and other districts Friday, Scotland late Friday?

Wales says 'Hi' Nick
    Hasn't forgotten, but sadly I think the UK-wide media will, apart from a footnote. Not defending it - it's just how they are.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Listening to a reporter on the ground, she expects turnout to be low. Which party will this favour?

But you know my feelings here. This should be a Con win and I personally don't think Lab at 2.7 is value.
    Good question - and I hope you're right about the result.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,302
    MaxPB said:

I am not suffering a mid-life crisis and do not need a Ferrari. But I also hate cheap-feeling, plasticky cars.

And, do I buy or lease?

Mini Countryman. It's a good size for London and fun to drive outside of London.
    I've got a Mini John Cooper Works (and I'm picking up a new model, the 2021 version, today)

Yes yes, a girly car, overpriced, all that - but wow they are fast and growly and fantastic fun to drive
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Normally I’d expect over half to be returned by now - my guess would be 60%, with the remainder divided between the last weekend, and those that get taken to the polling station (perhaps less of those this year). An anecdotal report from our council is that the return of postal votes is so far lower than expected, especially with more applications due to the pandemic.
    A survey a decade or so ago in King County WA re: when voters returned their vote-by-mail ballots, showed that one key reason why many folks waited until the last minute to return their voted ballots, was because they were afraid that some late-breaking news MIGHT change how they wanted to vote on something.

For example, four years ago there was a late-breaking story about the incumbent elected Sheriff of King Co, he was alleged to have committed sexual harassment & assault. This resulted in him losing key endorsements, and the election (to one of his deputies). However, quite a few votes had already been cast BEFORE the story broke.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

It has never stopped you! Nice the see you are making your angry inarticulate posts even more Trumpian WITH capitals used randomly. How are the anger management courses going btw?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    felix said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

I love my Toyota CH-R
    Like lots of people round our way we have a Subaru, for the AWD for our hills in winter. An Impreza in our case (it's not considered a boy racer car here), and it's been amazingly reliable, although we've not really stretched it: just 30,000 miles in six years!
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

You are the one claiming to be the expert on Scotland's budget and resources , now you expect me to show how little you know.
  • Options

There's a fun video of a Belgian parking in his garage which is only 6cm wider than the car. I doubt you could get a modern car that fits.

He's basically speaking English from the 8th century. That's what King Offa would have sounded like
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Shouldn't you be in your idyllic leafy pub where you can just waltz in to their rose garden and have a cold beer on Downshire Hill?
    I'm back now. Nice little interlude though. Couple of chilled ones in the middle of the day doesn't hurt. Felt no need to augment with any oysters, oddly.

The only downside was it still wasn't at all "leafy".
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    Fckn hell.
    The HoL, the brightest and the best making decisions on our behalf so let's not worry about the democracy thing.

https://twitter.com/danielmgmoylan/status/1388066714714316806?s=20
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Maybe not an entirely non-partisan source, but here is some data to start with:

https://www.businessforscotland.com/scotland-is-one-of-the-worlds-most-naturally-wealthy-nations/

Of course, some of the countries with the greatest natural resources wealth are not exactly paradigms of paradise. Russia, Congo ...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

More garbage, Scotland will pay its own pensions like normal countries, England will pay the debts it owes for the money people paid into their pension scam scheme or perhaps welch on their commitments.
    There are no such 'debts' owed by England other than to english people. The OAP doesn't work that way. Current Scots would pay Scottish pensions , etc
    The UK government guarantees to pay a state pension to anyone, UK citizen or not, that has made sufficient qualifying contributions.
    The clown just talks through his posterior. They are so ignorant due to their bigotry that they cannot even rationalise that if you have paid someone for a pension they cannot just dump you, pathetic.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

You are the one claiming to be the expert on Scotland's budget and resources , now you expect me to show how little you know.
    Nope you claim it has large amounts of resources that generate real income and tax.

And I have not got a clue what they are as I don’t believe they exist.

As it’s impossible to prove a negative it makes sense to ask you to provide a list of things in Scotland (beyond oil and whiskey) that generate large amounts of profit and so tax...
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?
    Seconded on a BMW X series (5 is the biggest, 3 is a smaller 5 and 1 is the SUV of the Touring). Or touring if you prefer closer to the ground and traditional rear wheel drive.

But we are all skating on thin ice here once Dura comes on and spells out exactly what it is you actually do need.
    X7 is the largest BMW SUV. This discussion is like watching me try to opine on wine or coffee.
    What do you make of hybrids?

I'm asking for a mate who because of the ULEZ expansion will have to kiss goodbye to his beloved old Merc.
  • Options

Fckn hell.
    The HoL, the brightest and the best making decisions on our behalf so let's not worry about the democracy thing.

https://twitter.com/danielmgmoylan/status/1388066714714316806?s=20

That's so mad I wonder if he is trolling for fun, trying to get ratio'd
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Lady on TalkSPORT was keen to stress that it is a social media boycott rather than a blackout as the latter phrase has negative racial connotations.
    Dear God - will the nonsense ever end?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

The clown just talks through his posterior. They are so ignorant due to their bigotry that they cannot even rationalise that if you have paid someone for a pension they cannot just dump you, pathetic.
    haha malcolmg accuses others of being bigots. Absolutely priceless. He will accuse others of being angry next.
  • Options
    TimT said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

https://www.businessforscotland.com/scotland-is-one-of-the-worlds-most-naturally-wealthy-nations/

Of course, some of the countries with the greatest natural resources wealth are not exactly paradigms of paradise. Russia, Congo ...
    What tax revenue or profit comes from that. If it's just sat there being unutilised it's not worth anything.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I am not suffering a mid-life crisis and do not need a Ferrari. But I also hate cheap-feeling, plasticky cars.

And, do I buy or lease?

Mini Countryman. It's a good size for London and fun to drive outside of London.
    I've got a Mini John Cooper Works (and I'm picking up a new model, the 2021 version, today)

Yes yes, a girly car, overpriced, all that - but wow they are fast and growly and fantastic fun to drive
    What's the engine size? 1600?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited April 2021
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Shouldn't you be in your idyllic leafy pub where you can just waltz in to their rose garden and have a cold beer on Downshire Hill?
    I'm back now. Nice little interlude though. Couple of chilled ones in the middle of the day doesn't hurt. Felt no need to augment with any oysters, oddly.

But out of the way and quiet right. With a couple of tables. In Belsize Park.

Sounds like I might give it a go myself. Which pub is it?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Except they're not dumping you, if you vote for independence then you're voting to dump them. Since pensions are PAYG, in the future Scottish taxes and Scottish pensions would be the responsibility of the Scottish state.

Otherwise are you expecting to still be paying taxes to Westminster in the future?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

felix said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

I love my Toyota CH-R
    Like lots of people round our way we have a Subaru, for the AWD for our hills in winter. An Impreza in our case (it's not considered a boy racer car here), and it's been amazingly reliable, although we've not really stretched it: just 30,000 miles in six years!
    If you (literally) hammer the end of the blow off valve flat you'll get a compressor surge on a closed throttle and that authentic 90s rally car turbo flutter noise. You're welcome.
  • Options
    Eight seat increase in the pro-independence majority.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Nope you claim it has large amounts of resources that generate real income and tax.

As it’s impossible to prove a negative it makes sense to ask you to provide a list of things in Scotland (beyond oil and whiskey) that generate large amounts of profit and so tax...
    'I really don't care if the Scots clear off' seems a long time and 100s of posts ago.
  • Options

Nice one. That is quite young to get it. You're beating par quite easily there, I reckon.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?
    Seconded on a BMW X series (5 is the biggest, 3 is a smaller 5 and 1 is the SUV of the Touring). Or touring if you prefer closer to the ground and traditional rear wheel drive.

But we are all skating on thin ice here once Dura comes on and spells out exactly what it is you actually do need.
    X7 is the largest BMW SUV. This discussion is like watching me try to opine on wine or coffee.

I'm asking for a mate who because of the ULEZ expansion will have to kiss goodbye to his beloved old Merc.
    I have a large hybrid from a well known German manufacturer. The only thing to really commend it is that it is warm when you get into it in the winter in the morning. Other than that I think the hybrid aspect of it is a bit pointless. It will only go about 15 miles on a full charge. The quoted MPG is ludicrous. I am thinking about going the whole hog and getting a fully electric at some point though
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2021

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Except they're not dumping you, if you vote for independence then you're voting to dump them. Since pensions are PAYG, in the future Scottish taxes and Scottish pensions would be the responsibility of the Scottish state.

Otherwise are you expecting to still be paying taxes to Westminster in the future?
    The British state currently, right this second, pays non-uk citizens who are not resident in the UK a British state pension.

That's because the law says that anyone who has qualified for a state pension gets a state pension.

These are people who are currently no contributing a single penny of tax to the UK exchequer.

Now, non-residents do not get the annual _increases_ to the state pension - they get the pension at the level it was first awarded to them but that is the setup.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,688
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Quite right, Malcolm. The UK government including Scotland does and would have that obligation.

However, when Scotland decides to become independent, the "UK government including Scotland" ceases to exist.

Who then has the obligation to pay pensions to indpendent Scots?

• Options
    Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

The British state currently, right this second, pays non-uk citizens who are not resident in the UK a British state pension.

That's because the law says that anyone who has qualified for a state pension gets a state pension.

These are people who are currently no contributing a single penny of tax to the UK exchequer.

Now, non-residents do not get the annual _increases_ to the state pension - they get the pension at the level it was first awarded to them but that is the setup.
    But indy is sui generis. And it changes everything

If you ask for pensions we will just say Fuck off. What are you gonna do, invade us with your army of 6 old men in kilts?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

MaxPB said:

The link came with an address I could get the jab at, and an option to choose different times at different dates. I chose the first available slot at 9:10am tomorrow morning. No point dilly dallying.
    Beginning tomorrow we will be monitoring your post to see IF there are any signs of adverse reaction to the jab.

My prognostication: the vac may make your posts even nuttier than per usual!

[EDIT] Just kidding! (I think!!)
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

And, do I buy or lease?

JCW Minis have the 2.0 BMW B48 IL4.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,698
    "@EuropeElects

Germany, YouGov poll:

GRÜNE-G/EFA: 25% (+4)
    CDU/CSU-EPP: 24% (-3)
    SPD-S&D: 14% (-3)
    AfD-ID: 11%
    FDP-RE: 11% (+1)
    LINKE-LEFT: 8%

+/- vs. 25-29 March 2021

Fieldwork: 23-26 April 2021
    Sample size: 2,021 total respondents, 1,643 declared"

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1388059351315881984
  • Options

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

'I really don't care if the Scots clear off' seems a long time and 100s of posts ago.
    It's also true - my concern is your typical independence voting scot is being shown all these lovely things when in reality they aren't worth a penny.

Remember I posted an IFS report https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14982 that said the average Scottish deficit has been 8% of Scottish GDP between 2011 and 2020 - and I really can't see what has or can change,
  • Options

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Possibly they were just referring to you and malcolmg on here.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

And, do I buy or lease?

By "girly car" do you mean to say, you're eager to discover just how many girls you can fit into your new Mini at the same time?

The rest of us a just as eager for your report!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Law? Which law? I mean this is really basic. Scotland would be outside of the UK for jurisdictional purposes. There's simply no way that and independent Scotland could count on the UK treasury for anything at all.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    eek said:

TimT said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

What tax revenue or profit comes from that. If it's just sat there being unutilised it's not worth anything.
    The question was over whether Scotland is rich in natural resources. The answer is yes.

Now the benefit of having natural resources is an entirely different question. You have many examples of low natural resource countries doing very well, many examples of high natural resource doing badly, and a few high resource countries doing well. I don't see much of a correlation between natural resources per se and economic performance.

However, there is a correlation between share of national income from exploitation of natural resources and overall economic performance - a negative correlation between over-dependence economically on natural resources and economic performance.

https://www.piie.com/publications/chapters_preview/6765/02iie6765.pdf
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293

And, do I buy or lease?

The new Corolla hybrid is worth a look.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Law? Which law? I mean this is really basic. Scotland would be outside of the UK for jurisdictional purposes. There's simply no way that and independent Scotland could count on the UK treasury for anything at all.
    Im not even sure why this is a argument - Scottish pensions become the responsibility of a newly independent Scotland.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

First Boris will refuse indyref2 regardless as 2014 was a once in a generation referendum, if a referendum is granted by the UK government before a generation has elapsed even if No narrowly wins the Nationalists would demand a third referendum within a year.

Second a plurality of Scottish Green voters now oppose independence so only an SNP and Alba majority can even be considered to have a mandate for indyref2, an SNP and Green majority will not count
    https://archive.ph/eg2lt
    Bit in bold really is a nonsense. Even the best analysts have blind spots and Scotland is yours. Mine is Japan. I have no clue at all what's going on over there. But I'm planning a trip to see the blossoms soon (covid allowing) so that will hopefully change.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,750
    It does seem "ambitious" to think that there is a good claim against AZ for "only" delivering 50m doses, when identical contracts with other suppliers were entered into at the same time or earlier who have delivered zero.

https://twitter.com/SpinningHugo/status/1388135206637408259?s=20

Well, this is embarrassing. Checked my bank balance this morning and couldn’t understand why I was missing 324m euros. Then I remembered. I gave a non-refundable down payment to Sanofi for 300 million doses of vaccine that didn’t work. Silly me.

They’re French though, so it’s ok

https://twitter.com/EuRollout/status/1388110515877171206?s=20
  • Options
    Re: new cars, yours truly is holding out for the introduction of the personal jet packs, that I was promised as a kid would be the norm "within a few decades".

Got my helmet already, made of high-quality tin-foil!
  • Options

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Possibly they were just referring to you and malcolmg on here.
    Luvin' the 'this a Unionist site for Unionist people' bantz from newbies.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So, do I buy or lease?

FWIW I buy and write it off. Probably not the cheapest, but I simply can't be arsed with leases and finance on cars and all the Delboy nonsense that goes with it.
    Except that if you lease you tend to get better offers on the purchase price, and there are some very low interest (indeed a few zero per cent) offers around. If you can get a zero per cent lease offer, you don’t need to decide whether to buy the car until the three years are up, at no extra cost.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Striking map.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,013

I rented a really smart almost brand new shiny black Audi A6 Sportline on a trip to Tuscany. The villa's gates were approx 100mm wider than the car. One hungover morning, I completely forgot, put the tunes on full blast as I was leaving the premises ––– and ran a three foot long scratch down the passenger side, incurring a €600 excess claim. Thankfully the excess cover paid out - albeit several months later...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Beginning tomorrow we will be monitoring your post to see IF there are any signs of adverse reaction to the jab.

My prognostication: the vac may make your posts even nuttier than per usual!

[EDIT] Just kidding! (I think!!)
    Hehe. I think if the vaccine had been rolled out under a Labour government, rather than one led (and I use that word loosely) by his hero from Eton, Philip would have been a fully paid up Q-Anon antivaxer.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I'm eyeing up the new Yaris hybrid for when my ancient Fiesta finally dies. It looks pretty nifty with the F1-esque nose.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

And, do I buy or lease?

JCW Minis have the 2.0 BMW B48 IL4.
    Wow. Plenty of poke then.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

And, do I buy or lease?

budget?

Does that help?

New clean diesels are Ulez exempt – you don't need to buy a hybrid should you prefer an ICE.
  • Options
    felix said:

Conservatives

Labour

Liberal Democrats

SNP

Greens

Plaid Cymru

Yes, those look like the bars for claiming significant success. It would be useful to calibrate with what an undeniably bad result would look like, which would least define a ‘not too bad, not too good’ range within which most of the results will probably fall.
  • Options

Striking map.

Because people in the UK were happy to take the AZ vaccine, whereas in other countries they weren't.
  • Options

Striking map.

Looks like the Swedish Gambit was a roaring success - NOT.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

But out of the way and quiet right. With a couple of tables. In Belsize Park.

Sounds like I might give it a go myself. Which pub is it?
    I had assumed The Stag, although the garden there is quite sizeable IIRC?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

One of my favourite Jonathan Meades programmes is this one about Belgium, from 1994.

http://meadesshrine.blogspot.com/1994/01/fa.html#ep5
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

You stated Scotland had nothing and would be skint , so you can do your own research thank you. I am perfectly happy that we can survive well without subsidising England's follies and be just like all other small independent nations. I will not be making up my mind based on people on here talking through their trousers.
This discussion has been closed.