Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A reminder that significant portions of Britons are so stupid they should be denied the vote and not

13»

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,931
    edited April 2021

I hadn't realised that the traditional English love of bear-baiting was still so much in evidence.

Heritage is very important. As I've noted before, it's why I support slavery - thousands of years of tradition cannot be steering us wrong. It just needs updating for the modern age, no racial element for a start.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,850
    Isn't there a wild population of wallaby somewhere in the UK?

• FishingFishing Posts: 4,739
    Andy_JS said:

Excess deaths, updated:

Peru
    Bulgaria
    Mexico
    Russia
    Lithuania
    North Macedonia
    Ecuador
    Serbia
    Czech Republic
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    South Africa
    Moldova
    Romania
    Slovakia
    Poland
    Portugal
    Albania
    Bolivia
    Kazakhstan
    Italy

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Interesting that Estonia is at 100 per 100k, while Lithuania is 3x that.

During the Black Death in the 14th century, mortaility in some Italian city states approached 70%, while in Belgium, it was more like 15-20%. Nobody knows why.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,033

Holly Wallaby is a famous TV personality
    Justin Wallaby became Archbishop of Canterbury
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,033

Anyone know if shops are letting you try on clothes yet?

NO, you have to enter in the nude :lol:
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,054
    I have to say that this qualifies as the most stupid, ill informed and fuck witted thread header I have ever seen TSE produce. And that is up against some stiff competition.

I can only assume that he has never actually been outside a city except in a sealed car as he clearly knows fuck all about either the countryside or wildlife.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,834

A serious answer is that it is allowed but I’d guess there will be variations in whether shops will let you.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,748
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

I like baby elephants. Nothing cuter in this world.

There's a big enough problem with lockdown puppies people cannot take care of without introducing baby elephants into the mix.

Meat's a bit tough to sink your teeth into too I bet.
    Best stick to puppies. Just think of the size of the poo bags!
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,748
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Whilst not sure of the seriousness of the header , it is always a point to remember in polls like this that 95% of people surveyed will probably not give a toss either way and therefore not be inclined to think deeply about it but just say yes or no because they are surveyed . For instance being a lover of gothic culture ,i might say (if surveyed) that I think all graveyards should be styled in the gothic style but am not going to "die in a ditch" about it (slight pun intended)

I was so puzzled by those 'birds of prey' and 'waders' that I checked.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/6xo8tuoxu4/Rewilding survey.pdf

The question does qualify with 'extinct in the UK', specimen species quoted, etc but I saw white-tailed sea eagles in Scotland on Rum and Eigg decades ago so why ask? Same with the beavers etc. They're either extinct or not. 'Continuing their reintroduction' yes, but ...
    Yes, I didn't quite understand 'waders' or 'birds of prey' either. I suppose Red kites have been reintroduced albeit that they never quite died out.

Mind you, there was a wild Lammergeier not very far from TSE last summer. Quite a sight it was, too...
    A zoologist friend and I once went up to Muckle Flugga (north end of Shetland, for those who don't know) to see if the resident Wandering Albatross (which had rather lost his way in equatorial waters) was At Home. He wasn't, alas, but lots of gannets and puffins!
    Hope you didn’t get attacked by the bonxies.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821

I have to say that this qualifies as the most stupid, ill informed and fuck witted thread header I have ever seen TSE produce. And that is up against some stiff competition.

I can only assume that he has never actually been outside a city except in a sealed car as he clearly knows fuck all about either the countryside or wildlife.

I think there might be a smidgen of a chance that you are taking it too seriously, Richard!

Just a thought...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,996
    Spot on:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/apr/21/back-to-normal-will-simply-not-suffice-the-super-league-12-need-to-be-punished

Unless we do something about it right now, when the big clubs are at their weakest and most penitent. We can quibble over what an appropriate penalty might be for an aggressive coup attempt on the entire global game, but one thing is certain: European football’s dirty dozen must not simply be allowed to slip back into their domestic routines or resume their residency of Uefa’s top club competitions (now handily skewed even more favourably in their direction). Now, above all, is the time to get vindictive.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,441
    Foxy said:

I killed a female pheasant today.

Not intentionally. But I was going 50mph, it was prevaricating in the middle of the road, I couldn't swerve to avoid it (oncoming traffic) and nor could I do an emergency stop with cars behind me - so I sounded the horn repeatedly hoping it might move.

It didn't.

Pheasant or peasant? That perpetual Tory dilemma.
    Is that why shotguns come with two barrels ?
    edited April 2021

What a fascinating and varied discussion, sparked by a wonky TSE post! So typical of PB.

Must say I'm impressed by number of PBers with personal acquaintance with wilder parts of North America, not to mention Europe and its obscure off-shore islands.

Heck, even TSE has ventured to some of the wilder parts of WA State! Like the lawn below the Space Needle?

I spent ages at the Space Needle trying to work out where Frasier Crane's apartment building was.

Turns out it doesn't exist.
    I’ll be honest that it took me quite a while to realise it was filmed in a studio, so good was the view.
    Ironic, in that the view from Frasier Crane's apartment was the most authentically "Seattle" part of the whole show.

Which otherwise was NY TV producer stereotypical view of city they knew nothing about and cared less.

Just like American sitcom allegedly about any city west of the Hudson or east of Pasadena.

For example, has ANYONE ever been to a Seattle coffeeshop where they bring your coffee to your table? NO!

AND is it ALWAYS raining in Seattle? No again. (though we keep THAT to ourselves, as it helps discourage the riff-raff).

AND does everyone in Seattle carry an umbrella? NOOOOO. In fact, that is a sign that you are either a tourist OR just got off the bus.

Still remember the local hoots of derision, when someone on the show referred to a week-end get-away to Lake Chelan. Because THEY pronounced last syllable to rhyme with "lawn" whereas WE say it to rhyme with "Anne".

Nevertheless, folks in the Emerald City loved the show in its prime (the final years were dreck) just like everyone else. And more so, because it was (allegedly) about Our Fair City.

My view of Seattle is from Grey's Anatomy: A nice enough city but not one I'd love to live in as its struck by some form of disaster every year - plane crashes, ferry boats crashing, gunmen rampaging etc

Actually the last one seems representative of every city in America.
    The most beautiful city in the world. Not for its architecture but rather the natural setting.

Sydney, Cape Town and Rio are much more spectacularly sited.

But Seattle's situation I agree is pretty good when you can see it through the rain. Like Wellington, NZ.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

A serious answer is that it is allowed but I’d guess there will be variations in whether shops will let you.
    Yeah, it’s the larger ones mostly I think, where the fitting room attendant can take it off you if you don’t want it and pretend to sanitise it so people feel better.

I think there might be a smidgen of a chance that you are taking it too seriously, Richard!

Just a thought...
    But his underlying idiocy shines through. What is the point of a thread header where everything he says is based on ignorance?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

There seems to be a lot of deer about.

Don't know if that's because their numbers are increasing or somehow covid related.

Alpacas are becoming quite common as well.

Where, the Andean altiplano? One has to ask.
    Quite a few Alpaca farms in southern Yorkshire and the north midlands and no doubt some people keeping them as pets.

From what I've heard some are now semi-feral.

They're certainly a shock when you see them the first time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEIY_aaTVI8
    There is always Pablo Escobar's hippos in Colombia: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56011594

Just a thought...
    But his underlying idiocy shines through. What is the point of a thread header where everything he says is based on ignorance?
    I wouldn't go so far as to say everything he says is based on ignorance. He's certainly sound on the merits, let alone the authenticity, of infecting pizza with pineapple.

I always think it is very difficult to come up with something original or interesting to say about UK or US politics twice or thrice a day. I am in awe that Mike manages to do it so regularly.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,290
    tlg86 said:

Spot on:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/apr/21/back-to-normal-will-simply-not-suffice-the-super-league-12-need-to-be-punished

Unless we do something about it right now, when the big clubs are at their weakest and most penitent. We can quibble over what an appropriate penalty might be for an aggressive coup attempt on the entire global game, but one thing is certain: European football’s dirty dozen must not simply be allowed to slip back into their domestic routines or resume their residency of Uefa’s top club competitions (now handily skewed even more favourably in their direction). Now, above all, is the time to get vindictive.

The clubs made a proposal and then quite rightly withdrew. Their bargaining chip went seriously wonky, but what great crime have they committed? Under what set of rules do you propose “being vindictive”?
    Fishing said:

I always think it is very difficult to come up with something original or interesting to say about UK or US politics twice or thrice a day. I am in awe that Mike manages to do it so regularly.
    The poll itself is of interest and worthy of a header if times are quiet. The opinions attached to it are utterly worthless given the degree of ignorance they display.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,414
    The main danger from carniverous animals being introduced would be to livestock - wolves would be a very very remote danger to humans indeed; cows are probably more dangerous.
    Can't see many raptors being as likely to knick food as seagulls are either.
  • I have to say that this qualifies as the most stupid, ill informed and fuck witted thread header I have ever seen TSE produce. And that is up against some stiff competition.

Just a thought...
    Do you think Mr Tyndall is going to have an aneurysm if I tell him I spent the better part of a decade living in parts of rural England?

Still getting abuse from people called Tyndall has been the lot of my family since the 1970s.
    edited April 2021
    Pulpstar said:

The main danger from carniverous animals being introduced would be to livestock - wolves would be a very very remote danger to humans indeed; cows are probably more dangerous.
    Can't see many raptors being as likely to nick food as seagulls are either.

Kites certainly would nick food, if they were resident in urban areas. Of course we already have kites, in quite large numbers now especially in the Chilterns. We occasionally see them down here in Sussex, but the big change over the past decade or so has been the huge increase in the number of buzzards. They are now a daily sight around us, whereas there were none when we came here thirty-odd years ago.
    Pulpstar said:

We could get hunts to chase wolf packs instead of foxes. Fairer fight.
  • Pulpstar said:

People partaking in wolf hunts must wear kimonos.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,267

tlg86 said:

Spot on:

The clubs made a proposal and then quite rightly withdrew. Their bargaining chip went seriously wonky, but what great crime have they committed? Under what set of rules do you propose “being vindictive”?
    They entered into a contract to play in a competition without prior permission.
    A breach of PL rules.
    Now. We can argue about the scale of the punishment.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,850

Pulpstar said:

Typo in the fourth word there...

Night all.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,290
    ... 🐺

Just a thought...
    Do you think Mr Tyndall is going to have an aneurysm if I tell him I spent the better part of a decade living in parts of rural England?

Still getting abuse from people called Tyndall has been the lot of my family since the 1970s.
    That s a low fucking comment from you you twat.

I am insulting you because you are ignorant, something you repeatedly exhibit on here sadly.
  • I have to say that this qualifies as the most stupid, ill informed and fuck witted thread header I have ever seen TSE produce. And that is up against some stiff competition.

Just a thought...

I am insulting you because you are ignorant, something you repeatedly exhibit on here sadly.
    Poor Tyndall, likes to dish it out, cannot take it back.

I shall end this conversation by going to bed, you can keep on being abusive towards me if it helps you with your issues.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

What a fascinating and varied discussion, sparked by a wonky TSE post! So typical of PB.

Must say I'm impressed by number of PBers with personal acquaintance with wilder parts of North America, not to mention Europe and its obscure off-shore islands.

Heck, even TSE has ventured to some of the wilder parts of WA State! Like the lawn below the Space Needle?

I spent ages at the Space Needle trying to work out where Frasier Crane's apartment building was.

I’ll be honest that it took me quite a while to realise it was filmed in a studio, so good was the view.
    Ironic, in that the view from Frasier Crane's apartment was the most authentically "Seattle" part of the whole show.

Which otherwise was NY TV producer stereotypical view of city they knew nothing about and cared less.

Just like American sitcom allegedly about any city west of the Hudson or east of Pasadena.

For example, has ANYONE ever been to a Seattle coffeeshop where they bring your coffee to your table? NO!

AND is it ALWAYS raining in Seattle? No again. (though we keep THAT to ourselves, as it helps discourage the riff-raff).

AND does everyone in Seattle carry an umbrella? NOOOOO. In fact, that is a sign that you are either a tourist OR just got off the bus.

Still remember the local hoots of derision, when someone on the show referred to a week-end get-away to Lake Chelan. Because THEY pronounced last syllable to rhyme with "lawn" whereas WE say it to rhyme with "Anne".

Nevertheless, folks in the Emerald City loved the show in its prime (the final years were dreck) just like everyone else. And more so, because it was (allegedly) about Our Fair City.

My view of Seattle is from Grey's Anatomy: A nice enough city but not one I'd love to live in as its struck by some form of disaster every year - plane crashes, ferry boats crashing, gunmen rampaging etc

The most beautiful city in the world. Not for its architecture but rather the natural setting.

Walking through most residential areas (such as my hood) is like walking though a garden, thanks to all the trees, flowers, etc., etc. Truly amazing on a day like today (Sunny Temp mid 70s F).

Mountains, or rather two mountain ranges - Cascades to east, Olympics to the west - and two volcanoes (Mt Rainier to south, Mt Baker to north).

Plus Puget Sound, a saltwater fjord, and glacial freshwater Lake Washington. And that just (some) of the waters within city limits.
    But isn’t the who NW coast due to get wiped out by a tsunami at some point? Plus also the next Cascadia event is probably only 100-150 years away at most
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,596
    TimT said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Don't know if that's because their numbers are increasing or somehow covid related.

Quite a few Alpaca farms in southern Yorkshire and the north midlands and no doubt some people keeping them as pets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEIY_aaTVI8
    There is always Pablo Escobar's hippos in Colombia: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56011594
    Contains this line, a certain entry for the 2021 No Shit Sherlock Awards:

"Hippo castrations are a dangerous and logistically complicated exercise, experts say."

Carnyx said:

My daughter spent this weekend hanging out in the herd
    Pulpstar said:

About a third of the buzzard diet is worms.

I have been loosely involved in two successful reintroduction programmes. As a student I volunteered at Riber Castle in Derbyshire which was involved in providing Lynxes for reintroduction into the Vosges Mountains in France. More recently I have been part of at the team monitoring the spread of Red Kites from the original reintroduction areas in Buckinghamshire up through Northamptonshire and into Lincolnshire.

Today over my land we had Buzzards (there are two pairs nesting in the adjacent woods), Red Kites, a Sparrowhawk, a Kestrel and the first migratory Hobby of the year. Not a single sandwich was stolen and nor were any of my free ranging chickens.

Just a thought...

Poor Tyndall, likes to dish it out, cannot take it back.

I shall end this conversation by going to bed, you can keep on being abusive towards me if it helps you with your issues.
    Crawl away you coward.

tlg86 said:

Spot on:

Guardian not liking rich people rules
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,596

Pulpstar said:

I have been loosely involved in two successful reintroduction programmes. As a student I volunteered at Riber Castle in Derbyshire which was involved in providing Lynxes for reintroduction into the Vosges Mountains in France. More recently I have been part of at the team monitoring the spread of Red Kites from the original reintroduction areas in Buckinghamshire up through Northamptonshire and into Lincolnshire.

Today over my land we had Buzzards (there are two pairs nesting in the adjacent woods), Red Kites, a Sparrowhawk, a Kestrel and the first migratory Hobby of the year. Not a single sandwich was stolen and nor were any of my free ranging chickens.
    Red Kites are rather partial to earthworms.

I've seen Osprey in Senegal. They seem quite happy to give up fish in favour of flying over landfill sites and making off with a disposable nappy.....
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,150
    Fishing said:

But Seattle's situation I agree is pretty good when you can see it through the rain. Like Wellington, NZ.
    Not sure I agree that the cities you menton are "much more spectacularly situated". Is your contention based on personal visits to all four places?

However, the Lesser Seattle Association thanks you for your continuation of the "it's always raining in Seattle" stereotype.

And even when it IS raining, we love it!
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Spot on:

Guardian not liking rich people rules
    Rule of thumb here is this - when a shithead is down, kick 'em in the head.

Then stomp on it for good measure.

You keep going on that as though these land pirates deserve anything better. They don't.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,898
    edited April 2021
    No takes 4% lead in new Comres Scottish independence poll

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1384997258496811015?s=20

Pulpstar said:

"About a third of the buzzard diet is worms."

That certainly explains their amazing density in and about Palm Beach & Mar el Lardo these days!

Pulpstar said:

Red Kites are rather partial to earthworms.

I've seen Osprey in Senegal. They seem quite happy to give up fish in favour of flying over landfill sites and making off with a disposable nappy.....
    I keep hoping the birds of prey I see will go for the cats that shit in my garden. Currently no such luck, but I live in hope.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

sarissa said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

What the hardest mammal - i.e. would be certain to beat any other mammal on earth in unarmed combat?

My money is on the tiger.
    Bull elephant or killer whale.
    A tour guide in Tanzania told me the Cape Buffalo were the most dangerous to humans, mainly to people who took them for oversized cattle.
    I think Hippos are pretty dangerous too. They are always tipping over canoes, and most Africans cannot swim, so drown. Never get between a Hippo and the water either.
    IIRC, more tourists in Africa are killed by Hippos than by crocdiles. People know that crocs are dangerous and stay away from them. Hippos, OTOH are just an African water-cow...
    I have sailed a dinghy on Lake Naivasha and was a bit shaken to realise that the large brown water lilies were actually the tops of hippo heads. An incentive not to capsize.
    A bit further up the rift valley at lake Bogoria I was in a motor canoe with half a dozen other tourists. The skipper took us a bit too close to a hippo with young. It leapt out of the water, sufficiently that we could see the lowest part of the belly. The splash was awesome, and it was hard to keep the canoe upright. We decided that we had got enough photos, so gingerly backed away.

Very few animals anywhere kill humans deliberately, it being mostly accidental. It is humans that kill humans deliberately.
    "It is humans that kill humans deliberately"

A doctor speaks...

Seattle is a hole.
    Only if you don't like homeless heroin addicts.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,535
    rcs1000 said:

Seattle is a hole.
    Seattle is nirvana.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,426

There used to be one on The Roaches in Staffordshire. Sadly I think they died out a number of years ago now.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1384853465223028736

Would be overjoyed to see Street win West Midlands again, he's done a good job, and is by all accounts a good guy.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,309
    There appears to be some kind of missile attack in Israel. Whilst the lobbing from the Gaza strip isnt unusual, this appears to have been aimed into the rough area of the Dimona Nuclear facility and possibly didnt come via Gaza.

All a bit confused at the moment but will be worth seeing what comes out in the next hour or two.
    And now reports of strikes in Syria.

This is all very quick.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,426
    Charles said:

Walking through most residential areas (such as my hood) is like walking though a garden, thanks to all the trees, flowers, etc., etc. Truly amazing on a day like today (Sunny Temp mid 70s F).

Mountains, or rather two mountain ranges - Cascades to east, Olympics to the west - and two volcanoes (Mt Rainier to south, Mt Baker to north).

Plus Puget Sound, a saltwater fjord, and glacial freshwater Lake Washington. And that just (some) of the waters within city limits.
    But isn’t the who NW coast due to get wiped out by a tsunami at some point? Plus also the next Cascadia event is probably only 100-150 years away at most
    That's the thing. My friends who lived in Seattle had a wooden framed apartment, which is much better at withstanding earthquake damage than concrete, but it was still a worry. There's probably a Richter 8 somewhere in the future, much like San Francisco (but much less talked about), and I wouldn't fancy being anywhere near.

There has also been a lot of building on the likely route of debris flows / lahars from Rainier. I would guess that there would be more advance warning of an eruption than an earthquake but still, it will make a mess.

The geology doesn't half make a good landscape though. And it really doesn't rain that much (unless you go to the Olympic peninsula, which is the wettest part of the continental US).

rcs1000 said:

Seattle is a hole.
    If you were a homeless heroin addict (assuming that you are not) would YOU rather live in Seattle OR the Bronx (aka Westchester South)?

As a port city on the edge of the continent, Seattle has always had a serious problem with homelessness. In fact, the term "Skid Row" comes from early Seattle, originally was skid road, that is the log flume used to transport timber from the heights above Elliott Bay down to the waterfront. Alongside it sprung up bars, cheap boarding houses, brothels & the like.

Indeed it was where the Trumpsky family made their first fortune, in whorehouses and other property investments.

Charles said:

That's the thing. My friends who lived in Seattle had a wooden framed apartment, which is much better at withstanding earthquake damage than concrete, but it was still a worry. There's probably a Richter 8 somewhere in the future, much like San Francisco (but much less talked about), and I wouldn't fancy being anywhere near.

There has also been a lot of building on the likely route of debris flows / lahars from Rainier. I would guess that there would be more advance warning of an eruption than an earthquake but still, it will make a mess.

The geology doesn't half make a good landscape though. And it really doesn't rain that much (unless you go to the Olympic peninsula, which is the wettest part of the continental US).

Speaking of the Olympic Peninsula, it blocks much of the rain coming eastward from the Pacific from falling on Seattle (rain shadow effect).

It's also an excellent defense against tsunami. Which it is true is a clear & present danger on the Washington coast, which is about fifty miles from Seattle on the other side of the Peninsula.

Area in Puget Sound at most risk is Tacoma, because it is right in the path of any lahar from Mt Ranier, which would flow (at a pretty fast clip) down the Puyallup River valley right to the City of Destiny (aka "The Aroma that is Tacoma" so called due to the paper mills).

Oldtimers are reasonably aware of the risks. Newcomers less so. Can still remember the Nisqually Earthquake of Feb 2001.

Shook the wood-frame house I was living in then pretty bad, so much that the (old) window were rattling. Ran outside to a clear space next door (away from any buildings or trees) until it stopped after 20-30 seconds.

Did major damage to the State Capitol, which turned out to be a good thing because the building was in serious need of restoration BEFORE the quake but the legislature was dragging its collective feet about doing anything about it. After the quake, they HAD to do something or the dome would have collapsed - NOT a good look!

Building I currently live in (wood frame with brick veneer) shows signs of damage done by the Nisqually Quake.

Fishing said:

Not sure I agree that the cities you menton are "much more spectacularly situated". Is your contention based on personal visits to all four placees?
    Yes. Several to each as it happens Yours?

The best thing about Seattle is the concrete troll under the Freeway.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,215

Pulpstar said:

Kites certainly would nick food, if they were resident in urban areas. Of course we already have kites, in quite large numbers now especially in the Chilterns. We occasionally see them down here in Sussex, but the big change over the past decade or so has been the huge increase in the number of buzzards. They are now a daily sight around us, whereas there were none when we came here thirty-odd years ago.
    What do you mean “if”? If I go out of my house in day light and look up chances are I can see at least one, and more often several, kites. I live a ten minute walk from the town centre.
    Scottish independence voting intention:

Yes: 45% (-)
    No: 48% (+3)

via @SavantaComRes, 16 - 20 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 07 Apr

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2021/04/scottish-independence-poll-tracker-will-scotland-vote-leave-uk
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Not sure I agree that the cities you menton are "much more spectacularly situated". Is your contention based on personal visits to all four placees?

You've got me licked re: carbon footprint!

The Troll is still there, under the Aurora Bridge, still digesting that Volkswagen.
    Yokes said:

There appears to be some kind of missile attack in Israel. Whilst the lobbing from the Gaza strip isnt unusual, this appears to have been aimed into the rough area of the Dimona Nuclear facility and possibly didnt come via Gaza.

All a bit confused at the moment but will be worth seeing what comes out in the next hour or two.

Reportedly this was a Syrian air defence missile that just happen to fly onward and towards the Dimona area.

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

The Troll is still there, under the Aurora Bridge, still digesting that Volkswagen.
    Glad to hear it. Somehow fitting that the city's most distinctive feature was created to harass the homeless.
    @Yokes - Any more thoughts on what is going on in Ukraine? Apparently Big Hat is going to Moscow tomorrow for talks with Putin.

Pulpstar said:

What do you mean “if”? If I go out of my house in day light and look up chances are I can see at least one, and more often several, kites. I live a ten minute walk from the town centre.
    We definitely have kites within Seattle city limits. Best place to see them here, is down on Lake Washington by Husky Stadium (home of UW football team) in the marsh next to the UW rowing team (big deal in these parts) boathouse.

Stroll around and kites will check you out, by swooping in from the rear at ear level about a foot from your head. Both reconnaissance and warning.
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Glad to hear it. Somehow fitting that the city's most distinctive feature was created to harass the homeless.
    ??? Most Volkswagens do have homes. And "only distinctive feature"? That's a crock and a half!

rcs1000 said:

Seattle is a hole.
    Seattle is nirvana.
    Very good
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,181
    Bloody hell, 315k cases in India.....if the gradient of the line gets any steeper it will do a loop de loop.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,181
    edited April 2021
    According to Data I'm looking at over 9k people moved to Austin in January alone with an average salary of 142k. Austin, TX

https://twitter.com/bp22/status/1384908580894253058?s=20

Will the last one out of the bay area please turn the lights off.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,544

According to Data I'm looking at over 9k people moved to Austin in January alone with an average salary of 142k. Austin, TX

Why anyone would want to live in the bay area is beyond me. It's a complete dump.
    RobD said:

Why anyone would want to live in the bay area is beyond me. It's a complete dump.
    Didn't you live in Berkeley? The Bay Area has plenty of places which are not dumps.
    Getting the feeling that goodly number of PBers have had some very bad dating experiences in some very nice cities!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,268
    "UK’s Foreign Office slashes aid to China by 95 percent

Opposition and NGOs criticize ‘sweeping’ aid cuts and lack of detail in allocations."

https://www.politico.eu/article/china-uk-foreign-aid-95-percent/
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,004
    edited April 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"UK’s Foreign Office slashes aid to China by 95 percent

Opposition and NGOs criticize ‘sweeping’ aid cuts and lack of detail in allocations."

https://www.politico.eu/article/china-uk-foreign-aid-95-percent/

That is badly misleading. What is being complained of is the cut of £500 million in humanitarian aid, part of the wider cut to aid from .7 to .5 per cent of gross national income (GNI) (against a commitment in the Conservative manifesto) with details not announced to Parliament.

ETA from the linked story:-
    Sarah Champion, the Labour MP who chairs of the House of Commons international development committee, welcomed the cut in funding to China, but said it was “very surprising” that such a major economy was still receiving U.K. aid.

“Amid sweeping aid cuts to some of the world’s poorest nations, it is astounding that the U.K. still gives any ODA to China,” she told POLITICO. “I expect U.K. taxpayers would much rather see aid going to countries that are on the brink of humanitarian crises rather than to the second largest economy in the world.”

Conservative MP Bob Seely, a longstanding critic of Beijing, also welcomed the cut, noting that China is richer than Britain and has a large defense budget.

Raab also faced criticism from Labour and the Liberal Democrats for announcing the allocations in a written parliamentary statement, without a detailed breakdown by country.

“To sneak out a written statement at the end of the day shows a lack of respect for both parliament scrutinizing these cuts and the aid organizations that are hearing about the spend for the first time only now,” Champion said.

Layla Moran, the Liberal Democrats’ spokesperson for foreign affairs, said the government was hiding from “MPs’ scrutiny because they know how damaging this is to the U.K.’s reputation on the world stage.”
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,268
    "The American Political Crisis Deepens
    Beneath the surface, the center continues to collapse.

Andrew Sullivan"

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/the-american-political-crisis-deepens-5bc
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,414

Getting the feeling that goodly number of PBers have had some very bad dating experiences in some very nice cities!

Do you have Sseahawks in Seattle ?
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,463
    Fascinating resignation/sacking comments by Jonny Mercer regarding the Johnson Govt - I always him down as part of the blokey Boris clique - he could very quickly become a part of the awkward squad that so often troubles Tory PMs. I intend to watch with interest....

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,509

Just a thought...

Malc can surely beat that?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,313
    Never mind birds of prey. Try straying too near to a bonxie's nesting site!

We have of course had massive success in this country with some bird of prey reintroductions/boosting of numbers. The white tailed eagles on the outer hebridies are a case in point and closer to home the red kite reintroductions give something more interesting to look at on the Yorkshire (and southern, of course) motorways.

Every case needs careful consideration, of course. I've walked the countryside in plenty of coutries where there are bears and wolves in the wild, but I'd rather not find out first hand whether bears would shit in the woods in the UK.
  • valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606
    Latest Wales polling
    https://twitter.com/roger_scully/status/1385098247073533953?s=19

I have been expecting around 26 for Labour for some time. If it wasn't for the 'Boris' vaccine bounce Tories would be doing poorly as their man in Cardiff is having an abysmal time.
This discussion has been closed.