Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This is going to dominate the news for the next few days and a good politician will be able to explo

1235»

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511

Pulpstar said:

Latest: The Super League has warned UEFA & FIFA it has already filed motions in several courts as pre-emptive strikes against possible bans. Also says has secured 4billion Euros funding: https://t.co/hertf5EDBh

— Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) April 19, 2021
    This does not surprise me at all

Those creating the new Super League have billions behind them and will not have launched this without investing in expert legal advice and must be confident that this is going to come to pass

It is extraordinary that this is happening now with Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs, struggling to qualify for the Champions League this year and they represent half of the English clubs involved.

LostPassword has cracked it I think. You need clubs with a brand, a following and good organisation. Current success doesn't matter. You can then port them wherever you want. Arsenal have a non-place specific name. Chelsea have a small stadium they can't redevelop. Does Milan need two teams in this league? Does Manchester?
  • One thing this will have done is create doubt and division amongst players in these clubs, those who are not including PSG and Bayern players, and turned the transfer market on its head
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,554

((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    6m
    Liverpool FC: "We are committed to working with all stakeholders, particularly supporters, as plans for the competition develop". No you're not. You don't give a toss. So stop pretending.

On one hand, DPJH is obviously right- has to happen sometimes, I guess.

However, elite professional football hasn't really given a toss about local, going to the ground regularly supporters for ages. Because that's not where the money is any more. And most fans will put up with all sorts of nonsense if it brings in oodles of cash to try to buy glory; look (or rather, don't) at the owners of Portsmouth over the years.

The trouble with this plan is that it's rubbing people's faces in it. In particular, that the paying customers in China are maybe more significant than the ones in Chelsea.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    So I’ve woken up and I’m still so f*cking angry about this.
    I wonder if Beckham's outfit will get in on this too in some way?
  • tlg86 said:

I mean do you really want to be on the same side as Richard Burgon?

You’re in favour of this, aren’t you?

I can tell when you start trotting out stupid arguments like this.
    No, a closed shop, or an overwhelming closed shop will atrophy and this European Super League will eventually become a glorified version of the Scottish Premier League.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

Latest: The Super League has warned UEFA & FIFA it has already filed motions in several courts as pre-emptive strikes against possible bans. Also says has secured 4billion Euros funding: https://t.co/hertf5EDBh

— Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) April 19, 2021
    This does not surprise me at all

Those creating the new Super League have billions behind them and will not have launched this without investing in expert legal advice and must be confident that this is going to come to pass

It is extraordinary that this is happening now with Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs, struggling to qualify for the Champions League this year and they represent half of the English clubs involved.
    LostPassword has cracked it I think. You need clubs with a brand, a following and good organisation. Current success doesn't matter. You can then port them wherever you want. Arsenal have a non-place specific name. Chelsea have a small stadium they can't redevelop. Does Milan need two teams in this league? Does Manchester?

Yes because Manchester City is the City franchise around the world (https://www.cityfootballgroup.com/)

And Manchester United is United.

Nowhere else do you have 2 teams with such name recognition
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    It’s weird to see Tories upset about the consequences of capitalism. One dollar one vote, not one person one vote.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    Greed is the word. Nothing more nothing less. Any pretension that they give a monkeys about the supporters is laid bare. They can still make loads with betting on games even if there us noone watching at the ground.

If it wasn't for Rugby league and with cricket rights looking dodgy, I would give up my sky subscription.
  • moonshine said:

Not if Internazionale Milano have their way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/sports/soccer/inter-milan-inter-miami.html
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,609
    moonshine said:

Sponsored sarongs?
  • The Super League will require upto 38 matches played mid week throughout the season so none of these clubs will play in the FA Cup, League Cup, and of course any remaining European competitions
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368

Greed is the word. Nothing more nothing less. Any pretension that they give a monkeys about the supporters is laid bare. They can still make loads with betting on games even if there us noone watching at the ground.

If it wasn't for Rugby league and with cricket rights looking dodgy, I would give up my sky subscription.

The prime minister was heralded here a few days ago saying that greed is good. Is that no longer the case?
  • Greed is the word. Nothing more nothing less. Any pretension that they give a monkeys about the supporters is laid bare. They can still make loads with betting on games even if there us noone watching at the ground.

You mean you follow a sport that went rogue and broke away and turned from a winter sport to a summer sport for money?

Cannot get more greedy than that.

The Super League will require upto 38 matches played mid week throughout the season so none of these clubs will play in the FA Cup, League Cup, and of course any remaining European competitions

We don't know that yet - and it's highly unlikely that the English teams would want to play themselves 4 times a season.
    Jonathan said:

It’s weird to see Tories upset about the consequences of capitalism. One dollar one vote, not one person one vote.

It does highlight the tension in this iteration of the Conservative Party. Maggie would have been all for this; entrepreneurs shaking up a corrupt network of blazers to make a fortune on the global stage.

And what is government intervention meant to achieve?
    Regarding PSG

@Chasportch It's pretty likely that the only reason that PSG aren't attached to it right now is that they're worries about Qatar losing the World Cup as a consequence.

@garius Well, that and being the only big club left in the Champions League might actually mean they finally win it.
    Quote Tweet
  • eek said:

The Super League will require upto 38 matches played mid week throughout the season so none of these clubs will play in the FA Cup, League Cup, and of course any remaining European competitions

We don't know that yet - and it's highly unlikely that the English teams would want to play themselves 4 times a season.
    The Super League is to comprise 15 founding clubs plus 5 clubs qualifying annually with details of qualification to be announced

The league will be divided into 2 sections of 10 teams with the top four in each divisions playing knock out to the final, all happening mid week

It is expected Bayern, Borussia Dortmund and PSG will join as founding clubs making the 15 founding members

Jonathan said:

It does highlight the tension in this iteration of the Conservative Party. Maggie would have been all for this; entrepreneurs shaking up a corrupt network of blazers to make a fortune on the global stage.

It's irritating when people think being right leaning means you don't believe there's a role for government in correcting the failings and abuses of the free market. This is an abuse of the market by creating a cartel.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

Jonathan said:

I doubt Mrs T would have had much of an opinion either way.

Personally I don’t think the government should get involved. The leagues and UEFA should chuck them out right now.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,333

IanB2 said:

Latest brainwave from this government: a registration scheme for foreign spies

Like this?

https://www.justice.gov/nsd-fara
    The point would be that any unregistered foreign agents would be looking at life imprisonment if caught by our own agencies, rather than simply a free flight back home.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

malcolmg said:

ping said:

Boris very lucky general, gets to say British football for British people, up the werkers....rather than all the lobbying stuff dominating 100hrs of coverage.

The tories sleaze problem hasn’t gone away, though.
    Indeed, Labour have now been drawn into it
    They will never rival the Tories for sleaze
    Liverpool: "Hold my pint...."
    The Joe Ashton allegations are typical of Labour brown envelope scandals down the years. They bring the party into disrepute.

I am not sure how pointing out that Labour politicians in Liverpool allegedly trousered public funds in an old- fashioned Northern Labour council scam, absolves the Conservatives of any guilt over lobbying for a bailout for Greensill, and NHS procurement contract questions.
    Telling lobbyists "no, we won't give your project any money" is now worse than endemic corruption in public works is it? No wonder Labour is losing the voters.....
    But that isn't the story is it? Although we agree on half of it.

Labour corruption in local authorities run by those wearing a red rosettes in safe Labour areas (not a worry these days) has been endemic, post war. The rebuilding of war ravaged towns and cities in the 1960s and 1970s was possibly the point of peak corruption. This criminality should be (and was) punished and the guilty thrown in jail.

From someone on the opposite side of the political divide to yourself (although I am without a political party) I, like you would find narratives like Len, with his grace and favour lifestyle feeding scraps to the Labour Party to call his tune, troublesome too.

When it comes to the bad smell emanating from the Labour Party it seems we agree.

However, is it really so true that all is spick and span in the house of Boris, move along, nothing to see, have you heard about the European Super League?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    Big decision for Norwich.

Do we stay in the PL and settle in to 14th?

Or do we join the Super League. Can't be relegated if there is no relegation.
  • tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

Personally I don’t think the government should get involved. The leagues and UEFA should chuck them out right now.
    Problem with that is that Sky and BT investments would be seriously undermined and litigation would be on the way as a response
  • eek said:

The Super League is to comprise 15 founding clubs plus 5 clubs qualifying annually with details of qualification to be announced

The league will be divided into 2 sections of 10 teams with the top four in each divisions playing knock out to the final, all happening mid week

It is expected Bayern, Borussia Dortmund and PSG will join as founding clubs making the 15 founding members
    2 sections of ten teams means only 18 mid week slots for the league part, and 6 for the knock out slots.

38 is a fiction in your head.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,137
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Like this?

The point would be that any unregistered foreign agents would be looking at life imprisonment if caught by our own agencies, rather than simply a free flight back home.
    And how would the governments of said agents deal with our agents abroad?
    If the big 6 get stripped of their titles, Alan Pardew becomes a Premier League winning manager. :D

*troll face*
  • eek said:

2 sections of ten teams means only 18 mid week slots for the league part, and 6 for the knock out slots.

I said upto 38 and have qualified it with the detail

There is no need to be so personal
  • IanB2 said:

Six opposition parties in the Commons are urging the Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, to allow a vote on an inquiry into Boris Johnson’s “consistent failure to be honest” in statements to MPs.

They want Hoyle to let them table a motion saying that Johnson’s conduct should be referred to the committee of privileges, on the grounds that making a deliberately misleading statement to MPs amounts to a contempt of parliament under the Commons rulebook, Erskine May.

Anyone would think there were elections coming up.....
    They have a point, and Hoyle isn't just going to dismiss this as he has repeatedly pulled up the PM. No likelihood of this happening pre-elections, but it should happen. Johnson is a serial liar who endlessly talks so much bollocks at the dispatch box that the speaker has to tell him to stop. Tories thought that removing Bercow would stop the "attacks" on the PM - wrong.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/19/labour-will-never-govern-unless-it-can-appeal-again-to-working-class-report

Their starter for 10 should be to drop all references to the "working class".

Healey argues for a focus on what he calls the “real middle” – people who earn around the median British wage of just under £25,000 – saying these should be Labour’s “core constituency”.

The "real middle" do not consider themselves to be the working class...

Bloody hell! Hurrah!

Some in the party are actually waking up.

As I've said here more than once, don't obsess about the top 10% and bottom 10%, appeal to the 80% in the middle. People who aren't fussed about the bedroom tax. Or use food banks. Or what term might replace BAMER. Or Palestine. But they want a good school for their kids, a quality NHS they can rely on in times of need, feel safe in their own homes and communities and be confident that if they play by the rules the system will treat them fairly.

Those are the Tories targetted voters.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,524
    F1: apparently, Miami's actually going ahead next year:

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1383884679145607168

The circuit I saw a year or two ago suggested it'd be another identikit snoozathon street circuit.
  • eek said:

You said none of them would play in the FA Cup or League Cup, which is untrue.
  • Big decision for Norwich.

Stay out as it means facing Luis Suarez on a regular basis.
    Alex Wickham
    @alexwickham
    Scoop: Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has told officials to draw up a list of "very robust options" to take action against the 6 English ESL clubs

Told one of the options is the German 50+1% model of fan representation

All options on the table

https://politi.co/3svJcDk
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,333
    edited April 2021

The circuit I saw a year or two ago suggested it'd be another identikit snoozathon street circuit.

This one is going to be a slightly different snoozeathon flat street circuit - with the mayor and most of the council opposed to the plans. I'll believe it's happening only when the cars are on the track.
    tlg86 said:

Jonathan said:

Trouble is that if the football authorities do that, this league (and to be clear, it is a Bad Thing) WILL happen. And even if it turns into a meaningless circus, that WILL hurt the rest of the football system.

Hence, the most likely endpoint is UEFA conceding enough control/money/virtually guaranteed slots to keep the superelite clubs happy. Goodbye Champions League, hello UEFA Super League.

We've long established what both the clubs and the blazers are. All that remains is haggling over the price.
  • Alex Wickham
    @alexwickham
    Scoop: Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has told officials to draw up a list of "very robust options" to take action against the 6 English ESL clubs

Told one of the options is the German 50+1% model of fan representation

All options on the table

https://politi.co/3svJcDk

So the government will be supporting trade unions making up 50%+1 of the board of companies.

This is a hard left government in action.
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Like this?

Precisely. That's why the Americans have had this scheme for nearly a century, its surprising its taken us this long to catch up.

This way if Russian spies are caught in Salisbury then they've broken the law even if we can't prove what they were doing while sightseeing.
  • eek said:

It has been commented that there will be no participation in these competitions due to the commitments to the Super League

I am happy to be corrected if the Super League clubs do participate in domestic competitions
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,160

eek said:

It's 18 plus up to 5 knock out games. Plus 38 league matches that's 53-58 matches already. No idea how you then fit in at least the FA cup and England matches for the players. Exhaustion becomes a serious factor, especially in even years for tournaments. We're potentially talking about 65-69 competitive club and country matches per season, plus an additional 5-9 in world cup/euro years. I'm just not sure the players have been considered in this grab for cash.

Big decision for Norwich.

Stay out as it means facing Luis Suarez on a regular basis.
    Give him a Snickers before kick off and he might not bite people though.

eek said:

Two legged quarter finals and semi's means you play 23 matches including the final. But they won't hold the knockout matches to clash with each other. I had heard of a playoff concept before the knockouts but that doesn't seem to have been confirmed.
    edited April 2021

eek said:

Up to 7 for the knock out slots surely?

2 for the Play Off
    2 for the Quarter Final
    2 for the Semi Final
    1 Final

So up to 25 games. Plus 38 for the Premier League is 63 games without considering the FA or League Cup.
  • F1: apparently, Miami's actually going ahead next year:

Another American F1 race in a car park. Yay!

F1 needs a boot up the arse. We do not need to keep touring the world to stupid tracks in dubious places like Jeddah and Miami. We need proper races at places like Imola.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,453

eek said:

eek said:

A commentator famously said (was it Des Lynam?) maybe 20 years ago " they will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions this evening " after TNS (welsh league) won a game . i think he meant that a team that is essentially a company cannot possibly have a soul. Roll forward 20 years and most of the premier league are essentially part of bigger global companies. If a local grown talent makes a premier league side these days it is as rare as Halleys Comet and even the managers come from all over the world . I fail to see how anyone can have a local affinity to a premier league club these days as essentially you are suppoting a franchise of a (probably) dodgy global company/Big Cheese

Unless you support Newcastle in which case the potential Big Cheese is so dodgy even the other firms don't want to be associated with him.
    Which could also be said of Man City and Chelsea frankly. And I don't think the other big clubs are squeaky clean.

This has been fermenting for a lot longer than the micro brewery in the new Spurs stadium.
    Oh I commented on them earlier - were this to be being introduced when it was previously hinted at 20 years ago neither Man City or Chelsea would be founding members.
    Should Arsenal today?

As it stands Arsenal are ninth in the Premier League. Qualification from on the field results this season would justify Everton, Leicester and West Ham more than the Gunners this season.

As a Liverpool fan I have been disappointed in the seasons where we failed to qualify for the Champions League, but that made it all the more special when we won qualification back. If qualification isn't earnt it becomes meaningless.
    Arsenal are fifth on the sort of lists that matter to this proposal.

https://withafunfilter.com/the-top-15-biggest-and-most-supported-football-teams-in-the-world/
  • eek said:

2 for the Play Off
    2 for the Quarter Final
    2 for the Semi Final
    1 Final

So up to 25 games. Plus 38 for the Premier League is 53 games without considering the FA or League Cup.
    They plan to play the final on a Saturday, so no need for a midweek slot.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/19/labour-will-never-govern-unless-it-can-appeal-again-to-working-class-report

Their starter for 10 should be to drop all references to the "working class".

Healey argues for a focus on what he calls the “real middle” – people who earn around the median British wage of just under £25,000 – saying these should be Labour’s “core constituency”.

The "real middle" do not consider themselves to be the working class...

Bloody hell! Hurrah!

Some in the party are actually waking up.

As I've said here more than once, don't obsess about the top 10% and bottom 10%, appeal to the 80% in the middle. People who aren't fussed about the bedroom tax. Or use food banks. Or what term might replace BAMER. Or Palestine. But they want a good school for their kids, a quality NHS they can rely on in times of need, feel safe in their own homes and communities and be confident that if they play by the rules the system will treat them fairly.

Of course he’s right but there are far too many in labour worried about offending people on social media, especially twitter. They need to realise what plays well with their voters and what plays well with vocal minorities on twitter aren’t the same. It would also be good for,some in the party to stop demonising people in these communities for,voting the wrong way and to stop taking their votes for granted.

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

eek said:

It has been commented that there will be no participation in these competitions due to the commitments to the Super League

I am happy to be corrected if the Super League clubs do participate in domestic competitions
    My understanding (but others following it more may know otherwise) is that they are willing to do both (hence the emphasis on midweek) but the domestic competitions are threatening to ban them (which iMO would be cutting off their nose to spite their face). It does mean that the top club footballers will have to work harder in return for their interesting salaries.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260

Boris very lucky general, gets to say British football for British people, up the werkers....rather than all the lobbying stuff dominating 100hrs of coverage.

Except it's a terrible subject for him. He probably thinks football is some inferior, new-fangled version of the Eton wall game.

eek said:

2 for the Play Off
    2 for the Quarter Final
    2 for the Semi Final
    1 Final

So up to 25 games. Plus 38 for the Premier League is 53 games without considering the FA or League Cup.
    Still 24 midweek slots, 63 games per club even without FA or League Cup is an immense planned commitment.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    How on Earth is a european super league against the interests of British business. The EPL would still continue.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,160

eek said:

2 for the Play Off
    2 for the Quarter Final
    2 for the Semi Final
    1 Final

The league cup was dead either way, I'm not sure it would have survived even with the uefa plan. It's the FA cup and 20 team league structure that are in trouble. They'll start talking about an 18 team league and fourth round entry for ESL clubs for the FA cup soon. That makes it 34 league games per season and only a maximum of 5 FA cup matches.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,039
    I yield to no man in my indifference to football. I wouldn't bother to watch any of the aforementioned teams if they were playing in the field outside my house, although the variable slope and luxuriant vegetation would make it slightly more interesting than usual. But isn't the current imbroglio just a logical extension of the Premier League exit 20-odd years ago? The blazers screamed and screamed but soon kowtowed after wads of fivers were dangled before their noses. Chances are they'll do the same this time for wads of tenners.
  • NEW THREAD

• Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

It does have some merits. It will be well attended as Florida has an amazing car/motorsport scene and Miami is a fantastic location for the post race hedonism.

eek said:

2 for the Play Off
    2 for the Quarter Final
    2 for the Semi Final
    1 Final

Still 24 midweek slots, 63 games per club even without FA or League Cup is an immense planned commitment.
    Just add some more players to the squad...

eek said:

My understanding (but others following it more may know otherwise) is that they are willing to do both (hence the emphasis on midweek) but the domestic competitions are threatening to ban them (which iMO would be cutting off their nose to spite their face). It does mean that the top club footballers will have to work harder in return for their interesting salaries.
    You don’t get it.

The PL is going to be completely devalued in both scenarios. If they let them do it, the “big 6” become even more entrenched with vast unshared and seemingly never-ending revenues, effectively pulling the ladder up on the rest of the league for perpetuity. If they kick them out, it’s going to be devalued but at least you retain some degree of sporting integrity.

The fact is the “big 6” are a total bunch of selfish c*nts because the rest of the English pyramid relies on the success of the PL and in undermining that, they’ve undermined the entire national football infrastructure.

Like stated last night, the next PL tv rights must be completely worthless until this is sorted out.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Also off-topic, but Johnson refusing to put India in the red zone cos he's trying to do a visit and persuade them a trade deal without migration is in India's interests seems like a Bad Thing. We know the threat from new variants to our vaccination programme. Unlocking and allowing people to gather and praise Him is more important than anything, yet he is ignoring the blindingly obvious again.

Do you know for a fact that Johnson has overruled the advice of the experts that make a recommendation to the relevant committee?

I’m very surprised that hasn’t leaking more widely. It would be dynamite! You must be really well connected. Wow!
    We know they have interfered at various points. Hiding behind the science when it suits them. Being clear at press conferences that they listen to the science but get to make the decisions when it suits them. So stop being naive with the suggestion that He can't possibly have any influence.

Pox is currently tearing India asunder and we have a few isolated cases of their variant here already. India is an obvious country to go on the red list to anyone with a brain. It is hardly a great leap to connect its exclusion with the forthcoming trade delegation.

After all, we cannot upset the troops. Covid comes to an end on 21st June. It is an ever fixed mark.
    It would have been quicker to write

“No. I made it up”
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,877
    Charles said:

Also off-topic, but Johnson refusing to put India in the red zone cos he's trying to do a visit and persuade them a trade deal without migration is in India's interests seems like a Bad Thing. We know the threat from new variants to our vaccination programme. Unlocking and allowing people to gather and praise Him is more important than anything, yet he is ignoring the blindingly obvious again.

Do you know for a fact that Johnson has overruled the advice of the experts that make a recommendation to the relevant committee?

I’m very surprised that hasn’t leaking more widely. It would be dynamite! You must be really well connected. Wow!
    Ah. The Rochdale Thin Air Theory of politics.

India will be on the list in a few days I'd say. Here, Bangladesh and Pakistan are on the list, the rest are not.

Taz said:

How on Earth is a european super league against the interests of British business. The EPL would still continue.

Because the EPL would become a secondary league, devaluing the product and therefore the revenues.

In fact the revenues of the entire english pyramid is going to be hit now, regardlessly, because of selfish greed.

Why would Arsenal or Chelsea, or anyone involved, care where they finish in the PL when they are guaranteed a spot in the Super League? It turns the PL into the league cup.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,461

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Once again:

It’s a bargaining chip.

A 12 team closed shop (whether or not with a mythical three additions and five guest teams per year) ain’t gonna happen.

it's quite a detailed bluff, if bluff it is

They have their own website already

https://thesuperleague.com/

Slightly weak point, however

"Games will be played mid-week, and all clubs will remain in their domestic leagues."

My sense is that the threat of being expelled from the EPL will make English clubs back down, they are not as financially desperate as the Spaniards

But who knows. Popcorn!
    The only bluffs that are worthy of the name are detailed and coordinated.

Anything else is just going on tilt.
    You're wrong, I believe. This is not a bluff. This is a very definite attempt to break away, and guarantee income - and they must have gamed the possibility of domestic leagues expelling them

Just don't know if it will succeed. Will Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool really quit English football with all its great history?
    3.5bn guaranteed, 10bn been said to be the likely income....per club...that's a huge carrot.
    That's not per season though, that's for 10 seasons split 15 ways. The numbers don't work at all.
    "In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic."

That makes it sound like they are getting it upfront.
    Split 15 ways and mortgaged against future TV rights earnings. It's a joke.
    "Super League organisers say each club participating in the competition will receive a payment of €3.5bn"

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11661/12279732/european-super-league-plans-live-updates

I'm sceptical about the header theme - Johnson and Starmer and Davey have all said gosh, this is unacceptable, but does anyone expect the Government to do anything about it? And what? Pass a law saying you can play in this competition but you are forbidden to play in that one? I can't see a vaguely leftist argument - big capitalist clubs forming an elite - but essentially it seems off-field for the politicians.

Theoretically the government could stop it. I mean, they closed down every pub in the country for six months, banned every taxpayer from visiting their own parents for five months, and had their state broadcaster stream a rolling obituary of a royal on all 156 BBC channels simultaneously.

What makes you think they couldn’t pull up the grass at White Hart Lane?
    Technically Spurs have already pulled up the grass at White Hart Lane (demolished 2017).

Liverpool vs Real Madrid is exciting because it is rare, and there is a list of historic games between the sides that everyone remembers.

Once they play 6 times a year? Meh. And who will want to fly to Madrid 3 times a year on a Wednesday, followed by Milan the following week?

Who or what is financing this based on future earnings? Sell. Bury. Salt the ground.

Spurs are still at White Hart Lane albeit in a new stadium!
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Thanks to @Charles who replied to this after I had retired for the night: anti-lockdown he reckons.

rottenborough said:
    Anyone know what this is?

https://twitter.com/UKcitizen2021

I googled it and a couple of anti-lockdown tweets came up with that hash tag but no more insight than that
    edited April 2021
    Though it's worth a note that the Indian vaccination rollout is running quite quickly.

This is not at all a carefully chosen chart. Ahem.

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,461
    tlg86 said:

I mean do you really want to be on the same side as Richard Burgon?

You’re in favour of this, aren’t you?

I can tell when you start trotting out stupid arguments like this.
    Yes, it’s moronic and predictable from Eagles. As one of many PB ‘Scousers’ who has zero connection to Merseyside, who should be surprised?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,103
    IanB2 said:

Six opposition parties in the Commons are urging the Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, to allow a vote on an inquiry into Boris Johnson’s “consistent failure to be honest” in statements to MPs.

They want Hoyle to let them table a motion saying that Johnson’s conduct should be referred to the committee of privileges, on the grounds that making a deliberately misleading statement to MPs amounts to a contempt of parliament under the Commons rulebook, Erskine May.

They might do better to take out a full page advert in the papers and publish the list of Boris's consistent failures to be honest.

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Like this?

Precisely. That's why the Americans have had this scheme for nearly a century, its surprising its taken us this long to catch up.

This way if Russian spies are caught in Salisbury then they've broken the law even if we can't prove what they were doing while sightseeing.
    Good luck catching Russian spies in Salisbury. MI5 could not spot ISIS recruits leaving the country with a one-way ticket to Syria. And suppose you could, what then? Imprison said Russkis and a week later a couple of British tourists visiting St Basil's Cathedral would be arrested in order to be swapped, and a Russian ship accidentally collide with a North Sea trawler. The United States can do this because it has lots of pointy things that go bang and we do not.
    edited April 2021

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Like this?

Good luck catching Russian spies in Salisbury. MI5 could not spot ISIS recruits leaving the country with a one-way ticket to Syria. And suppose you could, what then? Imprison said Russkis and a week later a couple of British tourists visiting St Basil's Cathedral would be arrested in order to be swapped, and a Russian ship accidentally collide with a North Sea trawler. The United States can do this because it has lots of pointy things that go bang and we do not.
    If that is the price that has to be paid, then that is the price that has to be paid.

The argument is similar to never negotiating with highjackers.
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Like this?

If that is the price that has to be paid, then that is the price that has to be paid.

No it is not, unless the hijackers in question have a powerful army and not just a disorganised street gang.

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Like this?

No it is not, unless the hijackers in question have a powerful army and not just a disorganised street gang.
    That would then be plan B.
  • ridaligoridaligo Posts: 174
    moonshine said:

So it seems after 90 years of family ties to the Arsenal, I’m in the market for a new club. Any recco’s?

afc.co.uk ... my team ... you can still support an afc that has won 2 European trophies! Job done.
This discussion has been closed.