Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If Biden doesn’t run at WH2024 Buttigieg should be as strong a nomination contender as Harris – poli

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Leon said:

NB

Spanish flu eventually killed 18m people in India. The biggest total in any country.

History may be repeating itself, horribly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic_in_India

Yeah, this is why I was ok with them holding on to the vaccines we ordered. Their need really is greater. Plus, well, it’s the Commonwealth. And it’s India and we still owe them one.
  • Options
    MattW said:

What's the average death rate for a major royal?

Once.
    The pedant in me feels the need to point out it will actually be slightly more than once, because of false alarms.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,694
    "What AstraZeneca vaccine fears reveal about our skewed sense of risk
    No one gives a second thought to the dangers of driving to a vaccination centre, yet that is a far more significant risk than blood clots.

Phil Whitaker"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2021/04/what-astrazeneca-vaccine-fears-reveal-about-our-skewed-sense-risk
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,591

MattW said:

What's the average death rate for a major royal?

Once.
    The pedant in me feels the need to point out it will actually be slightly more than once, because of false alarms.
    To one significant figure.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

No one gives a second thought to the dangers of driving to a vaccination centre, yet that is a far more significant risk than blood clots.

Phil Whitaker"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2021/04/what-astrazeneca-vaccine-fears-reveal-about-our-skewed-sense-risk

Yes, we (as humans) are crap at understanding real risks. If we (think we) are in control, such as when we are driving, we think there is none.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

There are lots of things that are absurd, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do them. Maybe this is one of those things.

It was amusing earlier, though, that when we tired of the constant news about the Duke's death on Radio 4 and turned over to RTÉ radio 1 for the "real news" we still had two stories about the Duke's death anyway.

What's the average death rate for a major royal, meriting suspension of BBC schedules? Probably an average of about one a decade at most. Feels like it's not a terrible thing for a country to take a moment once a decade to stop and take stock of itself, if perhaps a strange lens to do it through.

That's the "joy" - or horror - of a constitutional monarchy. It is like a national family. The big events come quite randomly, but they come. Weddings, funerals, births.

I sometimes envy republics with their regular national events. July 4th. Bastille Day. The German one where they celebrate Hitler's christening (do they still do that?). Whatever they do in Italy. Russia with its Tractor Day. China's Celebration of Mao's Sparrow Killing Campaign

And yet a monarchy adds mystique because the national events are interwoven with a human event: a death, a birth, a failed arrest for child molestation

So let us gorge on our occasional royal bean-feasts

This is your BBC royal correspondent, signing off for some ket

The Queen's funeral will be a huge sombre affair both here and globally, the coronation of King Charles III will also combine the pageantry of centuries with the first coronation broadcast in the modern media age
    I thought he’d let it be known he’s going to be George VII
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,694
    edited April 2021

Andy_JS said:

Phil Whitaker"

Yes, we (as humans) are crap at understanding real risks. If we (think we) are in control, such as when we are driving, we think there is none.
    Not sure if this is true, but I've heard a few times that it would be safer for the seats in aeroplanes to be facing backwards, but they have to face forwards simply because people "feel" safer that way. (Apologies if it's an urban myth).
  • Options
    I agree with RCS at the top of this thread that despite Buttigieg's undoubted credentials, his prospects in overtaking Kamala Harris as the incumbent Veep, to secure the Democratic nomination in 2024 appear to be nigh-on impossible.
    I prefer instead to look at the POTUS market instead, where the Republicans have the making of an excellent candidate in Nikki Haley who appears to be terrific value at 20/1 for the top job with betway (although some other bookmakers go as short as 11/1 and 12/1), compared with Harris' best odds of 4/1 with the same bookie.
    I know which candidate I'd rather be on, especially should the POTUS 2024 election prove to be an all-female contest.
This discussion has been closed.