Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

If Biden doesn’t run at WH2024 Buttigieg should be as strong a nomination contender as Harris – poli

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2021 in General
imageIf Biden doesn’t run at WH2024 Buttigieg should be as strong a nomination contender as Harris – politicalbetting.com

There seems to be a widespread assumption in the betting that should Joe Biden not be running for the 2024 nomination then Kamala Harris will almost automatically be the chosen one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    1st
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,905
    I love Pete, and think Harris is a weak candidate.

But I just don't see it. Sitting VPs get such an enormous head-start.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,072
    edited April 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Has there ever been a case where a sitting VP who put themselves forward where the President was unavailable was not selected?

1968 they even fiddled the election to let Humphrey take the nomination.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,643
    It's way too soon for a thread about anything other than the late Duke. This is tasteless

All threads for the next 8 days should focus on his life and achievements, and the steadfast service he gave to the nation. For diversity, we could have some that focus on his more lovable gaffes about "slitty eyes", so the lefties and BAMEs don't get too upset by the endless solemnity

At least one thread a day must be simply a photo of him - in uniform, on a horse, staring down a cleavage, etc

Come on PB, this is obvious
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Has there ever been a case where a sitting VP who put themselves forward where the President was unavailable was not selected?

A man who lost to Nixon.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,818
    Leon said:

It's way too soon for a thread about anything other than the late Duke. This is tasteless

All threads for the next 8 days should focus on his life and achievements, and the steadfast service he gave to the nation. For diversity, we could have some that focus on his more lovable gaffes about "slitty eyes", so the lefties and BAMEs don't get too upset by the endless solemnity

At least one thread a day must be simply a photo of him - in uniform, on a horse, staring down a cleavage, etc

There is a superb photo of him on my Twitter timeline, which I would post, but you wouldn't see it...
    Leon said:

Good to see you’re reacting in your usual calm, measured fashion Leon. It’s comforting to know on the day a national institution left us that some things never change.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,926
    Leon said:

Yes, plus please drape all PB threads in black for the next week OGH

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    Which is my point really. However rubbish, however controversial, however electorally unappealing, they get chosen if they run. Al Gore is another case in point, or indeed Nixon himself in 1960. George H. Bush, although he won one term.

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    Nixon also an ex VP and Humphrey lost to Nixon by less than 1%, McGovern lost to Nixon by 23% in 1972.

Humphrey and Nixon always had a good personal relationship and both loathed McGovern
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56dBfyeH2DM
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Today will be a great day for Netflix and Amazon viewing and in turn sign-ups.

That's no disrespect to Philip or the BBC's continuous Philip programming - many people will watch a bit of it but I doubt many will want endless hours of the same stuff being repeated on loop.

People will vote with their feet. Of course the BBC does many good things but people are losing interest - as there are more and more tailored services serving people's wishes much better.

Everyone on here is very interested in politics - I suspect even 5 years ago and certainly 10 years ago most would have watched all the BBC's political programmes regularly. But many now say they've just given up and abandoned them.

And similar is happening across many other genres.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    Leon said:

Perhaps as a compromise only tweets relating to the Duke will automatically be displayed in the comments. The rest you have to click on.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    Which is my point really. However rubbish, however controversial, however electorally unappealing, they get chosen if they run. Al Gore is another case in point, or indeed Nixon himself in 1960. George H. Bush, although he won one term.
    Dan Quayle in 2000 only exception, he withdrew in favour of the son of the President who he served when he was VP
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I think we should actually boycott all PB threads that don't honour the late Prince Philip, in some way, until the eight days of prescribed national grief have elapsed. Also, PB should have some kind of device that squirts onion vapour in your eyes so that you cry when you click on the site

Again, this seems like the bare minimum to me. FFS he has been taken
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Could we all change our avatars to photos of Prince Philip?

I wonder which one Dura Ace would choose?
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478

1st

You are number 1.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    Dan Quayle in 2000 only exception, he withdrew in favour of the son of the President who he served when he was VP
    He also wasn’t the incumbent VP.
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I think we should actually boycott all PB threads that don't honour the late Prince Philip, in some way, until the eight days of prescribed national grief have elapsed. Also, PB should have some kind of device that squirts onion vapour in your eyes so that you cry when you click on the site

I particularly want to hear TSE wailing with grief!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,188
    edited April 2021
    FPT

kinabalu said:

Personal vaccine update. Just had my second AZ dose, yippee.

No sign of a blood clot thus far. As a precautionary measure, I'm drinking copious amounts of red wine in order to pre-empt any circulatory problems. I hope PB medics agree that this is a sensible course of action.

Oh yes. And Chilean is the way to go in my (stupendously uninformed) opinion.
    French, actually. Crate of Beaujolais from The Wine Society. Easy drinking. I rarely go outside France for my wine - bit of a traditionalist.

Edit: not that I intend to drink the whole crate tonight.
    Beaujolais isn’t the best choice, really you want Bordeaux, since Cabernet and Merlot both contain the highest levels of procyanidins, which improve blood flow and reduce risk of inflammation and blood clots.

(noting that official advice is not to drink alcohol at all for several days after)
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

And yet you’re still posting on this one...
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    He only ran on his own in 2000, in 1992 he ran when he was the incumbent with Bush 41 but the Bush-Quayle ticket lost
  • TresTres Posts: 2,199
    Leon said:

Isn't Edward the new Duke now?

Mother been for her second AZN jab today, said it was incredibly busy, far more than when she got her first dose...no sign of lack of supply or more importantly vaccine hesitancy.

Keep calm and carry on?
    edited April 2021
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    He only ran on his own in 2000, in 1992 he ran when he was the incumbent with Bush 41 but the Bush-Quayle ticket lost
    Hyufd, I said INCUMBENT VPs. I do not care when Quayle did or didn’t run as he doesn’t meet that criteria. My point was about parties in power where the president was ineligible/retiring, and I can’t think of a single case where the Veep was willing to run that they weren’t chosen.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    RobD said:

Mother been for her second AZN jab today, said it was incredibly busy, far more than when she got her first dose...no sign of lack of supply or more importantly vaccine hesitancy.

Keep calm and carry on?
    She said it was more kick the doors down with the stampede of oldies determined to get their second dose. Had the marshall the big queues outside to ensure social distancing as too many too keen to get into the centre.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    rcs1000 said:

And so ruin the chance of the first female President to boot? Forgivable when running in an open field, but when the incumbent VP runs?

He'll wait his turn.

He and Ossoff will duke it out in about 30 years.
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Apparently not. I seem to remember him having been promised the title but Gallowgate found a post from the College where they said Charles inherited his titles as the eldest son.
  • Tres said:

Leon said:

No, Charles
    Buttigieg currently on 7% for the 2024 Democratic nomination if Biden does not run again, Harris on 28%
    https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1367296732019576834?s=20
    Leon said:

For your first line to be true it would need to be the case that thread headers signified the main topic of discussion in a thread. Faulty logic.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    rcs1000 said:

Completely agree. But Harris ticks a few criteria. And she's got a couple/few years to prove herself.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    Can anyone explain the eight days mourning? Is this to be expected? Don't remember that for the Queen Mother.
  • Jesus fucking Christ the curse of the new thread has just hit me badly:

rcs1000 said:
    Is anyone offering odds on when Queen Elizabeth II starts dating again? Also, which dating app do people think she is likely to use?

She’s on it already...

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,373
    "Mark Holt
    @MarkHolt4

The transition into the Prince Philip News on BBC R1 Dance was something else Down pointing backhand index"

https://twitter.com/MarkHolt4/status/1380489633797177350
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,271
    I hope someone brings that topic about 'Jeff Bezos's Oracle killer' into this thread, because I wanted to say 'Oh, is it a bit temple-imental?' Like the temple where you go and see the Oracle.

Can anyone explain the eight days mourning? Is this to be expected? Don't remember that for the Queen Mother.

The Queen Mother had 10 days of national mourning

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/mar/31/queenmother.politics
    edited April 2021

As for the duration, likely the time before the funeral.
  • This came to me with the caption ‘Prince Phillip’s ghost is spotted at Buckingham Palace’. I’m sure the game old cove would’ve appreciated the humour.

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2021

This was originally quoted as the Queen' own private mourning, but I suppose if no laws are passed during that time, and campaigning for the local elections is also suspended, it extends unofficially to national mourning, in the usual ad hoc british style.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

Yeah, but what does that actually mean?
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

For your first line to be true it would need to be the case that thread headers signified the main topic of discussion in a thread. Faulty logic.
    No, we need to combine my ideas with RobD's very sensible "compromise" that only comments which reference the late Prince and his wartime valour, say, would actually be visible to anyone else.

I do understand that not everyone feels quite as desolated by this, and might want to talk, occasionally, if disagreeably, about something other than the late Prince Philip's incredible life of duty and sacrifice, but if you DO make a comment that disrespectfully talks about something else, then it will only be visible to you.

This seems like a judicious balance

HYUFD said:

Not much in the grand scheme of things. Less activity from the government is probably the biggest thing we will notice.
  • Got this as well.
    I said Biden would never make it because he was creepy, so what do I know?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,150
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    Hyufd, I said INCUMBENT VPs. I do not care when Quayle did or didn’t run as he doesn’t meet that criteria. My point was about parties in power where the president was ineligible/retiring, and I can’t think of a single case where the Veep was willing to run that they weren’t chosen.
    Digging around, I can't find one either. Harris is the heir presumptive, I think.

edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

There we are, my avatar is now Yr Iarll Meirionnydd.
  • RobD said:

Keep calm and carry on?
    She said it was more kick the doors down with the stampede of oldies determined to get their second dose. Had the marshall the big queues outside to ensure social distancing as too many too keen to get into the centre.
    My mum was in for the second one on Weds, and said the exact same. Apparently the local health board were trying to get many of the 70-80 year olds jabbed over two days, and she does live in a large village which is rammed with pensioners.

HYUFD said:

You stay indoors, feel sad, and drink too much.

It’ll be a real change
    HYUFD said:

So we're getting FEWER mourning?

*bewildered face*
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,184

1st

Agree with your header, Mike.
    I have a few quid on just in case.

I hope someone brings that topic about 'Jeff Bezos's Oracle killer' into this thread, because I wanted to say 'Oh, is it a bit temple-imental?' Like the temple where you go and see the Oracle.

If you ever get the chance to go to Delphi, do. It is an amazing place: the local town is full of tourist tat, but that doesn't matter because you would have found the equivalent there two and a half millennia ago. The actual site is incredibly well preserved with a huge amount to see and perched on the side of a mountain with a fabulous view out over the sea (I think the Gulf of Corinth).
    edited April 2021

If you ever get the chance to go to Delphi, do. It is an amazing place: the local town is full of tourist tat, but that doesn't matter because you would have found the equivalent there two and a half millennia ago. The actual site is incredibly well preserved with a huge amount to see and perched on the side of a mountain with a fabulous view out over the sea (I think the Gulf of Corinth).
    Absolutely fully agreed. It's one of the most amazing vistas and locations in Europe, if not the world.

Best visited slightly out of season, early in the morning or at sunset and dusk, too, I would say.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,829
    I reckon Philip was a Remainer.

(Ducks).

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    Digging around, I can't find one either. Harris is the heir presumptive, I think.

I’ve found one - Charles Fairbanks, TR’s vice-president, in 1908. He had spent most of his tenure fighting against Roosevelt and Roosevelt backed Taft as his successor as a result.
    On topic, Buttigieg has been handed infrastructure, and at least part credit for $2T of stuff which might improve the average voter's day to day existence.
    (And gets to appear on TV making Fox presenters look ridiculous when they try to attack the plan.)

Harris, immigration.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,918
    For some the move to Trumpite, loonball conspiracy grifting just isn't working. Let's hope it's a growing trend.

https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1380533422628741120?s=20
    edited April 2021

Absolutely fully agreed. It's one of the most amazing vistas and locations in Europe, if not the world.

Best visited slightly out of season, early in the morning or at sunset or dusk, too, I would say.
    I've been there twice, both on school Classics trips as a teacher and each time during the Easter holiday.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    Anyway - an update on my second dose. Apparently despite being registered with my new GP I was still on the Accubook system at my old GP. So I've taken myself off that and that should allow my new GP to book a second Pfizer dose somewhere in Barrow.

Alas the nurse practitioner was not in today so I won't know until Monday.

Meanwhile Son was given the day off today because of the news. He said it was quite weird walking round a largely empty London with all these photos of Philip in uniform and medals.

There is a short story in his experiences so far - something Russian - perhaps like in Gogol - of a man's pointless wandering around a deserted locked down city while solemn music is played.

Or maybe Alan Bennett-ish: commenting on urban mundanities and how common or otherwise people's front doors are.

Thanks - I shall keep it in mind.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

It’ll be a real change
    At least the shops will be open ...
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Nah - if we have to do that I'm going to have one with golden globes (@MarqueeMark will know what I'm talking about) and all your Philip avatars can stare at them. That seems to me to be in the finest PB tradition - as some of the recent threads will attest.
    But which of us would dare to look down on you ?
    Jesus Christ. What is their problem?

They are the ones continuously stoking it. They've grabbed our jabs, they are now motoring ahead, yet still they want to revisit this argument?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,324
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

Germany two day's data - UK dips below 30% of total for first time:

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

Germany really motoring there, very impressive. France, Spain, Poland, Italy all catching up. Excellent

Hopefully the AZ debacle won't knock them - or us - off our stride, and we can put the absurd Vaccine Wars behind us. What an unedifying chapter
    AstraZeneca has agreed that almost all the Covid vaccine doses made in the Netherlands over which the UK has made a claim will stay in the EU, as Brussels’ vaccine tsar said Europe was now on track for an “almost normal” tourist season. Thierry Breton, the European commissioner leading the bloc’s vaccine taskforce, said the chief executive of AstraZeneca had confirmed to him that all but 1.2 million to 1.5 million doses at the Dutch plant would now be delivered to EU member states.

The Dutch factory, where the Anglo-Swedish firm’s subcontractor, Halix, makes the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, produces about 7.5 million doses a month, over which the UK claimed it had a contractual right during recent talks. Whitehall officials had proposed a 50/50 split but Mr Breton, a French former finance minister, said Pascal Soriot, AstraZeneca’s French-born chief executive, had recognised that all but one batch of the jabs would go to EU residents.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/vaccine-tsar-says-eu-will-get-astrazeneca-doses-over-which-uk-made-claim-1.4532523

"Almost normal" tourist season.....without British tourists?

Breton has been a consistent liar through this.

Even in this piece he is quoted as claiming that the UK has had full promised AZ deliveries. He's also making "would have been better rollout than the UK if AZ had met their commitments" noises. Like all the others, he seems to have assumed that Q2 will be perfect in terms of deliveries, and to have missed out the extra month for distribution and development of immunity.

Covering his backside, like all the others. Liar.

And modelling the new EU principle of pissing on the law.
    Fishing said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

It’ll be a real change
    At least the shops will be open ...
    Covered in black and selling Philip memorabilia
    Norway’s prime minister, Erna Solberg, has been fined 20,000 kroner (£1,713) after breaking coronavirus social-distancing rules when organising a family gathering to celebrate her birthday.

The matter came to light in a report by the public broadcaster NRK, which triggered a police investigation.

The two-term leader has apologised several times for organising the event for her 60th birthday with 13 relatives at a mountain resort in late February, despite a government ban on gatherings of more than 10 people.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,919
    I think the question becomes one of who will be President when the next election kicks off.

If it's Biden and it looks like he will be there for all 4 years than Buttigieg will have a great chance.

If Harris is President then he will have to wait his turn.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,689
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

Best visited slightly out of season, early in the morning or at dusk, too, I would say.
    The ban on travel has given me an incredible yearning for Greece. Not anywhere else. I'd love to go to Thailand or Portugal or America or Greenland or bloody Belgium, but it is Greece that haunts me. Perhaps because it is the last foreign country I visited - last September - but also....Greece.

The simplicity. Grilled fish, white wine, blue sea, Greek salad, burning sun
    Leon, do you have any Portugal tips? I've only been once, a city break to Lisbon. Loved it but done that and I'm not enthused by the usual Algarve naff over-developed stuff. Any ideas? I'm think Portugal is favourite in Europe to be green lit from 17 May.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044

(Ducks).

I remember a story Will Hutton told about being invited to Buckingham Palace as part of a group to discuss the EU with Philip one evening. Most those present were Altanticist Eurosceptics like William Rees Mogg so Hutton took the chance to remind Philip that whilst the USA was a republic there were several monarchies within the EU. Apparently the Duke nodded vigorously - make of that what you will.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,918
    Amusingly Rangers FC are commencing a 7 day boycott of social media for team, club and supporters at 6pm tonight. Let's see how good The People's self control is..

https://twitter.com/TheShamrock1888/status/1380545298385281030?s=20

That was way too Delphic for me.
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

Best visited slightly out of season, early in the morning or at dusk, too, I would say.
    The ban on travel has given me an incredible yearning for Greece. Not anywhere else. I'd love to go to Thailand or Portugal or America or Greenland or bloody Belgium, but it is Greece that haunts me. Perhaps because it is the last foreign country I visited - last September - but also....Greece.

Yes. The Greek landscape and light is magical, and away from the tourist traps there's a lot of warmth from people.

Prince Charles apparently feels the same way, as he seemed to risk the brickbats that came his way for the only major royal visit overseas a few weeks ago during covid for the Greek independence day celebrations. He even talks about the place as part of his identity, which I think is because his very hellenised grandmother was living where he was living in his youth, at Phil's invitation, topically for today.

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,175
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway - an update on my second dose. Apparently despite being registered with my new GP I was still on the Accubook system at my old GP. So I've taken myself off that and that should allow my new GP to book a second Pfizer dose somewhere in Barrow.

Meanwhile Son was given the day off today because of the news. He said it was quite weird walking round a largely empty London with all these photos of Philip in uniform and medals.

There is a short story in his experiences so far - something Russian - perhaps like in Gogol - of a man's pointless wandering around a deserted locked down city while solemn music is played.

Or maybe Alan Bennett-ish: commenting on urban mundanities and how common or otherwise people's front doors are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdRFMp8Xwo
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    How is Dan Quayle in 2000 an exception? He wasn't a sitting Veep, the sitting Veep was Gore and he was selected.
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon, do you have any Portugal tips? I've only been once, a city break to Lisbon. Loved it but done that and I'm not enthused by the usual Algarve naff over-developed stuff. Any ideas? I'm think Portugal is favourite in Europe to be green lit from 17 May.
    North Portugal (sometimes called green Portugal, a warning flag that they don’t always get Algarve weather, is well worth a visit. Up the coast north of and inland from Porto (itself worth spending some time in)

(Ducks).

I remember a story Will Hutton told about being invited to Buckingham Palace as part of a group to discuss the EU with Philip one evening. Most those present were Altanticist Eurosceptics like William Rees Mogg so Hutton took the chance to remind Philip that whilst the USA was a republic there were several monarchies within the EU. Apparently the Duke nodded vigorously - make of that what you will.
    Not sure that quite sufficient evidence.

But I reckon he was; part of an “internationalist” generation, see also his work for WWF.
    Leon said:

Never been to Greece for some reason. Can't wait to go sometime in the next couple of years.
    For those interested, how BBC1 broke the news:

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1380479577823268869?s=21
    edited April 2021
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

I recommend Sintra - one of the most beautiful places in Europe.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

A man who lost to Nixon.
    How is Dan Quayle in 2000 an exception? He wasn't a sitting Veep, the sitting Veep was Gore and he was selected.
    And turned out not to be the best candidate...

Cyclefree said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdRFMp8Xwo
    I would say go ahead and book, but don't worry about dates especially.

I'm cev, and my 2nd isn't until the end of the month.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Germany two day's data - UK dips below 30% of total for first time:

https://www.politico.eu/coronavirus-in-europe/

Germany really motoring there, very impressive. France, Spain, Poland, Italy all catching up. Excellent

Hopefully the AZ debacle won't knock them - or us - off our stride, and we can put the absurd Vaccine Wars behind us. What an unedifying chapter
    AstraZeneca has agreed that almost all the Covid vaccine doses made in the Netherlands over which the UK has made a claim will stay in the EU, as Brussels’ vaccine tsar said Europe was now on track for an “almost normal” tourist season. Thierry Breton, the European commissioner leading the bloc’s vaccine taskforce, said the chief executive of AstraZeneca had confirmed to him that all but 1.2 million to 1.5 million doses at the Dutch plant would now be delivered to EU member states.

The Dutch factory, where the Anglo-Swedish firm’s subcontractor, Halix, makes the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, produces about 7.5 million doses a month, over which the UK claimed it had a contractual right during recent talks. Whitehall officials had proposed a 50/50 split but Mr Breton, a French former finance minister, said Pascal Soriot, AstraZeneca’s French-born chief executive, had recognised that all but one batch of the jabs would go to EU residents.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/vaccine-tsar-says-eu-will-get-astrazeneca-doses-over-which-uk-made-claim-1.4532523

"Almost normal" tourist season.....without British tourists?

Breton has been a consistent liar through this.

Even in this piece he is quoted as claiming that the UK has had full promised AZ deliveries. He's also making "would have been better rollout than the UK if AZ had met their commitments" noises. Like all the others, he seems to have assumed that Q2 will be perfect in terms of deliveries, and to have missed out the extra month for distribution and development of immunity.

Covering his backside, like all the others. Liar.

And modelling the new EU principle of pissing on the law.
    From the most recent YouGov:

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union

Right: 46%
    Wrong: 43%
    DK: 11%

Excluding fence-sitters: 52:48 :smiley:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/gqj25ruu0h/TheTimes_VI_Track_Results_210401_W.pdf
    A thread on Prince Philip and how he got into conservationism via twitching.

https://twitter.com/antonhowes/status/1272864771604447240?s=21
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,310
    IanB2 said:

Norway’s prime minister, Erna Solberg, has been fined 20,000 kroner (£1,713) after breaking coronavirus social-distancing rules when organising a family gathering to celebrate her birthday.

The matter came to light in a report by the public broadcaster NRK, which triggered a police investigation.

The two-term leader has apologised several times for organising the event for her 60th birthday with 13 relatives at a mountain resort in late February, despite a government ban on gatherings of more than 10 people.

Yes, the police chief said they wouldn't normally impose such a harsh fine on someone for having a slightly too large family gathering (13 instead of the permitted 10), but the law should be applied with particular strictness to public figures as they set an example to others.

So like the way we deal with prominent figures seeking favourable treatment....
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

For those interested, how BBC1 broke the news:

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1380479577823268869?s=21

She did well I think. I think he was held in higher regard than he might have imagined.
    Nigelb said:

That was way too Delphic for me.
    Sorry, didn't mean to Pythia off.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Never been to Greece for some reason. Can't wait to go sometime in the next couple of years.
    Me neither sadly. Watching The Guns of Navarone the other day made me want to. :lol:

A thread on Prince Philip and how he got into conservationism via twitching.

https://twitter.com/antonhowes/status/1272864771604447240?s=21

Twitching? He streamed himself videogaming? What a cool dude.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,689
    Fishing said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

I recommend Sintra - one of the most beautiful places in Europe.
    Thanks, I've looked at Sintra area, specifically Penha Longa hotel. Lisbon and coast both within striking distance.
    Some websites have become black and white affairs. For example, national rail.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Me neither sadly. Watching The Guns of Navarone the other day made me want to. :lol:
    An early entry for the worst reason for visiting Greece ever?
This discussion has been closed.