Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punter Psychology. Finding the perfect balance of arrogance and humility – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

I don't know if people have been following it, but the new champions League format is absolutely stupid...they just need to get on and have a European super League, as clearly thats what they want.

Am I the only one who finds the CL group stage incredibly tedious?
    Same teams every year. Most groups you can pick the 2 qualifiers before it starts. Mismatches and dead rubbers.

Great idea! Let's make it longer and make even more sure it's all the same teams.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    dixiedean said:

I don't know if people have been following it, but the new champions League format is absolutely stupid...they just need to get on and have a European super League, as clearly thats what they want.

Am I the only one who finds the CL group stage incredibly tedious?
    Same teams every year. Most groups you can pick the 2 qualifiers before it starts. Mismatches and dead rubbers.

Great idea! Let's make it longer and make even more sure it's all the same teams.
    Just make it a knock out, as it was when Forest won it two years running.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited April 2021

I'm wondering which is the most trivial and uninteresting topic on today's thread(s). Perhaps there should be a vote. Is it:

a) what Boris should be called
    b) a photo of Starmer/Keir on a train?

You're not going to be saying that when Sir Keir publishes his gripping political memoir, inventively titled A Journey...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Presumably because they are running out of people who want one?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:
    I have never taken the term whitewash to mean white is clean, anything else is not.

I've always taken it to mean like using "white out" on paper to remove mistakes. Blank paper is white and to use whitewash/whiteout on a report essentially means you're getting rid of the inconvenient details/mistakes as part of a cover up, not making it clean.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413
    Genuinely good news, made even better by the fact that it all happened after the Orange One.

Boy, we all dodged a bullet there.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164
    Scott_xP said:
    Outrageous. Surely they must abstain as only applies to England?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    tlg86 said:

Presumably because they are running out of people who want one?
    Though it does simplify admin. Once through the highest risk categories, go to open booking for everyone, and do campaigns to persuade the reluctant groups.
  • Options
    Full time

Real 3 Liverpool 1
  • Options

Full time

Real 3 Liverpool 1

Good game, but both teams are not what they were. I don't think either will win the CL.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,239
    So once again in PB fantasy land, the EU is to blame for a UK vaccine slowdown. Despite actual reported facts saying India is blocking 5 million doses. But this is somehow the EUs fault too for some people.

Just look honestly at your own reactions to the EU threatening to block exports to the UK ("it's a crime against humanity, they are trying to murder us, it's a declaration of war") compared to the reactions to India actually blocking exports ("that's reasonable, they need the vaccines in India")
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited April 2021

Scott_xP said:
    They are politicians. They'll do whatever suits them.

Now, what would they have to gain from going through the voting lobbies with the Evil Tories on a measure that doesn't apply in Scotland? Are there Barnett consequentials available through this?

EDIT: This is what the thick as mince commentary in the newspapers has been neglecting. They've assumed the Government's majority is under threat because there are over 40 Tory rebels. They've failed to account for parties like the SNP and DUP either not turning up, or voting with the Government. I would've thought the former to be more likely than the latter, but neither could be wholly discounted. Basic fail.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    If they're doing the same thing in Scotland, then having the virus under control in England is in Scotland's interest.

But yes I agree they should abstain. This should be an English vote if its an English law. Wouldn't EVEL apply though?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    Scott_xP said:
    Which translates into English as: 'We would quite like to hide behind the English on this one otherwise we might possibly have to make a difficult decision with no right answers ourselves.'
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Retired US General notices France and Germany are a little bit weasely

https://twitter.com/general_ben/status/1379524518818017283
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Now, what would they have to gain from going through the voting lobbies with the Evil Tories on a measure that doesn't apply in Scotland? Are there Barnett consequentials available through this?
    Listening to Sturgeon and Drakeford I expect any scheme will be agreed between all four
  • Options
    kamski said:

So once again in PB fantasy land, the EU is to blame for a UK vaccine slowdown. Despite actual reported facts saying India is blocking 5 million doses. But this is somehow the EUs fault too for some people.

Just look honestly at your own reactions to the EU threatening to block exports to the UK ("it's a crime against humanity, they are trying to murder us, it's a declaration of war") compared to the reactions to India actually blocking exports ("that's reasonable, they need the vaccines in India")

Yeah, but PB Brexiteers are just doing a bit of Facebook stalking of their Ex, as indeed are the EU.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    They need to crack on vaccinating their people...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024

Leon said:
    I have never taken the term whitewash to mean white is clean, anything else is not.

I've always taken it to mean like using "white out" on paper to remove mistakes. Blank paper is white and to use whitewash/whiteout on a report essentially means you're getting rid of the inconvenient details/mistakes as part of a cover up, not making it clean.
    Then you're a fool. It will be gone soon. Like anything that associates "white" with "better" and not-white as "inconvenient details/mistakes"

Indeed "whitewashed" is now being used by on-trend American scholars as a pejorative term to describe a racist process

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-10/modern-philosophical-canon-has-always-been-pretty-whitewashed/11678314

It is so problematic and complex people just won't use it. Cf "niggardly"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_niggardly
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Scott_xP said:

Listening to Sturgeon and Drakeford I expect any scheme will be agreed between all four
    Any scheme should be a signal for the liberty loving people to remove their consent to be governed or policed
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Calling Johnson "Boris" of course is also ridiculous. He is Johnson, just as Theresa was May, Tony was Blair etc

He's Boris, its his name.

Just like in Blair's day he was often called Tony, in Cameron's day he was often called Dave, Sturgeon is often called Nicola. Trump was often called Donald, even Biden has sometimes been called Jo.

Starmer is sometimes called Keith.

It happens. We don't live in a prim and proper 19th century society when people can only use surnames.

Calling Johnson "Boris" of course is also ridiculous. He is Johnson, just as Theresa was May, Tony was Blair etc

Just like in Blair's day he was often called Tony, in Cameron's day he was often called Dave, Sturgeon is often called Nicola. Trump was often called Donald, even Biden has sometimes been called Jo.

It happens. We don't live in a prim and proper 19th century society when people can only use surnames.
    He is not known as Boris in private life - by his family and close friends. His real name is Alexander or Alex.
    I know this has been addressed, but it really is worth reflecting that that is an even sillier criticism that some people make of him being known as Boris (though I don't think you are making it as a criticism). Someone with your exhaustive knowledge of historical politics will have no trouble listing the many PMs and politicians who did not go by their first or 'real' names. Some altered their surnames at various points in their lives too.

Edit: And that the others may have gone by their second names with most others is hardly the point. The use of 'real' suggests going by a different name with others is fake somehow, which is nonsense. Our politics seems set up for this sort of thing, given you can put your full name on the ballot, or what you are known as.
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

He is not known as Boris in private life - by his family and close friends. His real name is Alexander or Alex.
    I know this has been addressed, but it really is worth reflecting that that is an even sillier criticism that some people make of him being known as Boris (though I don't think you are making it as a criticism). Someone with your exhaustive knowledge of historical politics will have no trouble listing the many PMs and politicians who did not go by their first or 'real' names. Some altered their surnames at various points in their lives too.

Edit: And that the others may have gone by their second names with most others is hardly the point. The use of 'real' suggests going by a different name with others is fake somehow, which is nonsense. Our politics seems set up for this sort of thing, given you can put your full name on the ballot, or what you are known as.
    I came quite late into that discussion , but my comment was little more than an observation rather than a criticism. What would be the impact if Labour and other politicians suddenly started refering on a regular basis to 'Mr Alexander Johnson'?The public reaction would be interesting.
    It'd be very petty. If he wants to be known as Mr Boris Johnson, that's his choice.
    Has he actually said that - rather than having just gone along with it? I have read somewhere that he himself pointed out to somebody that 'Boris' is not his real name - as used by family etc.
    Your obsession on this is rather pathetic. It's really sad.

I can't recall a single Tory banging on about Mr James Brown when Labour were last in office.

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

I came quite late into that discussion , but my comment was little more than an observation rather than a criticism. What would be the impact if Labour and other politicians suddenly started refering on a regular basis to 'Mr Alexander Johnson'?The public reaction would be interesting.
    It'd be very petty. If he wants to be known as Mr Boris Johnson, that's his choice.
    Has he actually said that - rather than having just gone along with it? I have read somewhere that he himself pointed out to somebody that 'Boris' is not his real name - as used by family etc.
    Your obsession on this is rather pathetic. It's really sad.

I can't recall a single Tory banging on about Mr James Brown when Labour were last in office.
    I am not in the least obsessed by this - indeed I arrived late to the discussion. Gordon Brown has always had the same name in private and public life - as did Harold Wilson and Harold Macmillan. That is not true of Johnson.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Any scheme should be a signal for the liberty loving people to remove their consent to be governed or policed
    Then it would need to apply across the four governments

Remember Sturgeon and Drakeford want a covid zero policy unlike Boris
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

Presumably English MPs should be able to vote on Scottish laws given that English would be affect who go to see friends or work in Scotland?

Just goes to show again that the SNP's "self restraint" in English matters is just their self interest and not principles. The question is the same its always been, the West Lothian Question. If English MPs can't vote on Scottish laws for an issue, then Scottish MPs shouldn't be able to vote on English laws for the same issue.
  • Options
    kamski said:

That’s fair comment. However I do think that the eu has damaged its business reputation by its behaviour with AZ. Clearly a contract means nothing to them if they don’t like it. That will surely have long lasting consequences. The U.K. has had shortfalls in expected vaccine supply all through this, yet you don’t see us starting fights with the companies. We also invested in the manufacture. We have every right to be annoyed if our contract is being ignored by the eu in preference for theirs based on the location a private manufacturing facility.
  • Options
  • Options
    kamski said:

You are the only place that is literally blocking contracted vaccine exports

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1379425730061291520?s=20
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I should get a vote on independence then as I have relatives in Scotland...
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Either Sir Kir "Royale" Starmer never changes his shirt and only looks the exact same way with the same exact mask when he does the exact same train journey with remarkably identical weather conditions and with his laptop identically placed, or his social media team is just lying.

LOL

If you look very closely, the masks are slightly different. One is flatter and the ear loops are further apart. He must just like repeating himself.
    The clouds are quite different too.
    Not sure if serious, but they are definitely taken at different times/places along the trip. Surely someone in PB should be able to identify what mile marker they are at in both? ;)
    Paging @Sunil_Prasannan!
    Well the clouds are definitely different, that's for sure!
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Then it would need to apply across the four governments

Remember Sturgeon and Drakeford want a covid zero policy unlike Boris
    I dont care what wales and scotland does, if the tories try bringing it in as mandatory then it is down to all liberty loving people to be as obstructive to policing and government as possible until they come to their senses and repeal it just like happened with the poll tax. Another tory policy that had people in favour of it when first polled and soon led to civil disobedience
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Very few people without a vaccine are going to want to get involved in repeated testing twice a week (on the off chance that you decide you want to visit a "mass event" at short notice) when triggering a positive result (including false positives) could leave you stuck at home in isolation for ten days.

And the question that the whole "compulsory vaccine debate" still refuses to answer is why/how it should/can exist for a few categories of mass participation events, without significant restrictions continuing on "essential" public transport or in the many other places where large gatherings might happen (large weddings, private house parties etc etc).

To justify them for venues that have the capacity to enforce the production of "passports" on entry, there are going to have to be significant restrictions backed up by large fines for all those venues/places where there won't. If social distancing, backed up by force of law, remains, then in all practical terms we are absolutely a million miles away from anything approaching a "return to normal".
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    If they're doing the same thing in Scotland, then having the virus under control in England is in Scotland's interest.

But yes I agree they should abstain. This should be an English vote if its an English law. Wouldn't EVEL apply though?
    From parliament.uk:

On 22 October 2015, the House of Commons approved Standing Order changes that gave effect to the Government's plans to introduce 'English votes for English laws' (EVEL).

Please note: the standing orders relating to English votes for English laws are suspended temporarily following a decision by the House on 22 April 2020.

EVEL is not dead. It's just resting.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Then you're a fool. It will be gone soon. Like anything that associates "white" with "better" and not-white as "inconvenient details/mistakes"

Indeed "whitewashed" is now being used by on-trend American scholars as a pejorative term to describe a racist process

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-10/modern-philosophical-canon-has-always-been-pretty-whitewashed/11678314

It is so problematic and complex people just won't use it. Cf "niggardly"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_niggardly
    Language evolves. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

Presumably English MPs should be able to vote on Scottish laws given that English would be affect who go to see friends or work in Scotland?

Just goes to show again that the SNP's "self restraint" in English matters is just their self interest and not principles. The question is the same its always been, the West Lothian Question. If English MPs can't vote on Scottish laws for an issue, then Scottish MPs shouldn't be able to vote on English laws for the same issue.
    It's a moot point - if the SNP abstain then the chances of the Government losing any vote are miniscule anyway.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

From parliament.uk:

On 22 October 2015, the House of Commons approved Standing Order changes that gave effect to the Government's plans to introduce 'English votes for English laws' (EVEL).

Please note: the standing orders relating to English votes for English laws are suspended temporarily following a decision by the House on 22 April 2020.

Why?

An improved EVEL system needs to be figures out and replace the convoluted mess that was in place.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

Just one more good argument in favour of whacking the Union with a big hammer until it smashes. If the Union won't provide equity of treatment - and it never will - then it deserves to die. And good riddance.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

Just one more good argument in favour of whacking the Union with a big hammer until it smashes. If the Union won't provide equity of treatment - and it never will - then it deserves to die. And good riddance.
    100% agreed.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

From parliament.uk:

Why?

An improved EVEL system needs to be figures out and replace the convoluted mess that was in place.
    Not going to happen.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    kamski said:

The difference is the EU can afford to pay top dollar for vaccines, and they didn't. India doesn't have such luxury.
  • Options

Genuinely good news, made even better by the fact that it all happened after the Orange One.

The Biden administration have been superb on the vaccine drive. The abject chaos that would have ensued under Biden’s moronic predecessor doesn’t bear thinking about.
  • Options
    Ohhh. Is that a global record, for any country in any one day? I see that the USA did worse on one or two days

Grim, nonetheless
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    My first thought when he conjured up Alba was that he was being extremely clever.

Now I'm starting to think that he's fecking nuts.

With delusions of grandeur that would make Napoleon appear shy & introverted.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Floater said:

Russia is going to invade Ukraine very soon under some invented pretext isn't it?

Putin wants to restore the former USSR territories as far as possible.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    Scott_xP said:
    Can we have a referendum on English independence from Scotland?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192

The Biden administration have been superb on the vaccine drive. The abject chaos that would have ensued under Biden’s moronic predecessor doesn’t bear thinking about.
    Yet we were told he was too old to run.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

Floater said:

Russia is going to invade Ukraine very soon under some invented pretext isn't it?

From what I read somewhere Russia needs to find a source of fresh water for the Crimea
  • Options
    The Boris’ name discussion is the dullest debate on PB since the doctors’ date notation classic of the genre.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Re the (excellent) Header, I’d add in 2 specifics to avoid if you can when betting. These apply only if you care about the outcome - and therefore do apply to most of us here when it comes to politics.

First one is the dreaded Confirmation Bias. We all know about this and if we don’t “Casino Royale” will soon put us right. It’s where you so want a particular outcome that you analyse all the data looking for how it supports the outcome whilst finding ways to ignore things which indicate otherwise. A current example is how the marginalized and sulking Corbynite Left in Labour interpret everything as proof positive that Keir Starmer is a dud and Jeremy would be doing miles better. Fine, I’m tempted myself, I do miss Jeremy, but if you habitually bet this way you’ll lose money.

The second one is less discussed but imo is more insidious. It’s where you do the opposite of the above. Negative Confirmation Bias, if you like, but best described as the Emotional Hedge. Here, you don’t go looking for why what you want to happen will happen, you go looking for why what you fear will happen will happen. You overestimate the likelihood of what you dread coming to pass and you bet accordingly. The idea is that if (say) as a Remainer your worst fears are justified and the country votes in a Referendum to become an insular, impoverished backwater, living in the past, pretty much doomed to irrelevance on the international stage, your anguish is cushioned by the fact that you’ve won a few quid on betfair and can take your sweetheart out for a chicken dinner. Again, fine, but if you habitually bet this way you’ll lose money.

Good example of this from recent history, how many PB Tories talked themselves into believing Corbyn might well pull off a shock hung parliament in the last GE. This wasn’t just overreliance on recent history (GE17), it was pure unadulterated, ‘wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat’ fear of the man. Fear of an actual socialist in actual power who would attack all that they hold dear – i.e. hardcoded class privilege – and possibly even remove a vestige of it. But, phew, it didn’t happen. Cons by 80. Their betting losses were a small price to pay for such a flood of relief.

So there you go, Confirmation Bias and the Emotional Hedge. Bad betting practice and very very common. You need to avoid both - and you want to be on the other side of bets made by those who succumb.

I think emotional hedge is an excellent term.
    As in emotional support hedge?

"Sir, why are you trying to bring that boxwood onto the airplane?"

"This is my emotional support hedge, Steward. I'll just keep it on my lap."
    What happens if your hedge overindulges on the little bottles of spirits during the flight and becomes both tired and emotional? This needs more thought...
    Think the REAL question here is, what KIND of hedge?

Boxwood? Leylandii? Privet? Poison ivy?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Leon said:

kamski said:

You are the only place that is literally blocking contracted vaccine exports

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1379425730061291520?s=20
    I recall that the EU told Australia that they should veto the UK joining the TPP on the basis that we were in their sphere of influence or some such bollux. I am a bit suspicious that this bizarre behaviour is a response to the Australian reply.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    edited April 2021

Scott_xP said:
    I should get a vote on Independence then as some of my tax money must go to Scotland via the Barnett formula.
  • Options

I despised Trump and never had a good word to say about him, but at least under his administration procurement and investment into vaccines was good. They didn't penny pinch and avoid investing in procurement like our neighbours did. So Biden inherited vaccines able to be used.

Having said that Trumps answer to any problem economically was to throw money at it, so this was nothing unique or smart, it was more broken clock being right syndrome. The deficit spending PRE pandemic under Trump was truly atrocious.

How anyone economically right wing could be anything other than repulsed by Trump and the Republican Congress who only care about sound finances when a Democrat is in the Oval Office is beyond me.
  • Options
    eek said:

Floater said:

From what I read somewhere Russia needs to find a source of fresh water for the Crimea
    The Green Party were warning about water wars in the 90s.
  • Options

Demented Vegetable beats Rabid Weasel
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182

Leon said:

Absolutely bizarre post. Not sure what to make of it.

If anything.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

100% agreed.
    And yet when BJ once again says he'll block another referendum you and others will be rolling over to have your balls tickled.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    I don’t love London and hopefully by May 6th I’ll have done the deal to move out!

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1379526792055291908?s=21
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    I should get a vote on Independence then as some of my tax money must go to Scotland via the Barnett formula.
    I know the SNP are just deliberately trying to wind the English up but..

..I shall not rise to it
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Cultural appropriation noted
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    RobD said:

kamski said:

The difference is the EU can afford to pay top dollar for vaccines, and they didn't. India doesn't have such luxury.
    Although they had enough to gift Bhutan.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

From parliament.uk:

Why?

Not going to happen.
    Why not?

It should be done before the Tories lose office.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited April 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:
    Golly, weren't you suggesting just a few days ago that people should be putting their identity as English and British on the Census to preserve the Union?
  • Options
    The child/adult distinction exists in many areas, and they aren't challenged on the grounds of discrimination.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

100% agreed.
    And yet when BJ once again says he'll block another referendum you and others will be rolling over to have your balls tickled.
    I most definitely will not.

My opinion on Scottish independence hasn't changed. I don't take the Tory line on this issue.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

kamski said:

A country with 1/2000th of their population. Basically like the UK and their overseas territories.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

100% agreed.
    To be fair to Phil T, I think he’s consistently argued that a ref should happen ...

May as well deal with the consequences of a vote for once, instead of blaming it all on Westminster. It’ll be quite cathartic in the end.
  • Options

The Boris’ name discussion is the dullest debate on PB since the doctors’ date notation classic of the genre.

For me it's the "West Lothian question".

Gosh that's a yawner.
  • Options

Floater said:

And the EU is going to be terribly disappointed. And then they will put on their Russian gas fired kettle for a pot of tea to get over it.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

100% agreed.
    To be fair to Phil T, I think he’s consistently argued that a ref should happen ...

May as well deal with the consequences of a vote for once, instead of blaming it all on Westminster. It’ll be quite cathartic in the end.
    Yeah, quite an absurd attack given Phillip's record on that matter.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

If anything.
    I'm saying etymologically I never thought whitewash was racist.

Any more than the liquid 'white out' being used to go over mistakes on paper is racist. The name comes from making the paper white again to cover up what was written, there's no judgement in it.

Though I haven't used whiteout since I was at school downunder in the 90s, so no idea if it's still called that or even manufactured anymore. Computers kind of removed the purpose of using that.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited April 2021

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

This is pb.com kid-ology at its most ridiculous.

First, Drakeford is on record as speaking highly approvingly of vaccine passports ("I think there are definitely prizes to be won through domestic vaccine certification....")

I understand Labour barely function as a coherent party anymore, but Labour will look ridiculous if SKS leads a vote against vaccine passports for England while Labour in Wales are busy singing their praises.

Drakeford has to govern, so he doesn't have the luxury of posturing like SKS. So, unless Labour want to look even less like a political party and even more like a disorganized rabble than they already do, SKS will have to accede to vaccine passports at some level.

And, second, the virus does not stop at Clawdd Offa or at the River Tweed.

I don't much care for Blackford, but on this point he is correct. This should be a decision that all the countries of GB collectively should reach.

It concerns us all, because you can't kid the virus with a border.
  • Options
    isam said:

I don’t love London and hopefully by May 6th I’ll have done the deal to move out!

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1379526792055291908?s=21

So is SKS leaving Parliament to get some actual decision making power somewhere else too?
  • Options
    RobD said:

The child/adult distinction exists in many areas, and they aren't challenged on the grounds of discrimination.
    But what about the science issue?

A football match (as one example of a mass crowd event needing a vaxport) will have quite a few youngsters attending.

Now maybe we have decided kids don't pass it on. In which case why have we shut schools for months on end?

• Options
    edited April 2021

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:
    Golly, weren't you suggesting just a few days ago that people should be putting their identity as English and British on the Census to preserve the Union?
    Don't recall that. I just said that was what I had done. Anyway, this most recent comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

If anything.

Any more than the liquid 'white out' being used to go over mistakes on paper is racist. The name comes from making the paper white again to cover up what was written, there's no judgement in it.

Though I haven't used whiteout since I was at school downunder in the 90s, so no idea if it's still called that or even manufactured anymore. Computers kind of removed the purpose of using that.
    Are Blackboards racist?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Scott_xP said:

EDIT: This is what the thick as mince commentary in the newspapers has been neglecting. They've assumed the Government's majority is under threat because there are over 40 Tory rebels. They've failed to account for parties like the SNP and DUP either not turning up, or voting with the Government. I would've thought the former to be more likely than the latter, but neither could be wholly discounted. Basic fail.
    If the SNP vote for it will get through and rightly so if we are to restore confidence to our hospitality and entertainment industries
  • Options
    Are the other vaccines being monitored for blood clots in the same way as the AZ vaccine?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

My first thought when he conjured up Alba was that he was being extremely clever.

He can say what he wants, Boris will ignore him.

Then the Salmond v Sturgeon civil war will start as to what to do next
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

kamski said:

Only a few yaks and sherpas live there, though :lol:
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    Andy_JS said:

Are the other vaccines being monitored for blood clots in the same way as the AZ vaccine?
    You can be sure that the Russian and Chinese ones aren't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He can say what he wants, Boris will ignore him.

Then the Salmond v Sturgeon civil war will start as to what to do next
    Add in Galloway
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

If anything.

Never heard the phrase "whiteout" at all - and I lived in Sydney for a while back then. You must have been in the outback.

But I agree. Tippex isn't racist. If somebody is saying that as part of the culture wars they need to back off.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

And the EU is going to be terribly disappointed. And then they will put on their Russian gas fired kettle for a pot of tea to get over it.

No doubt when Ukraine asks NATO for help repulsing the Russians the Germans will put out a statement that sounds suitably like a dissapointed parent scolding misbehaving children, one that urges a cease-fire and a negiotiated settlement. They will refuse to get involved in any other way.

And we may get to find out if Ukraine really did get rid of all its nukes, or if they have a couple tucked away. Just in case.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

It might be the reverse. It might be the example of Scotland imposing something unwanted on England that would counterbalance the Brexit decision.

Unless, of course, Scotland decided they wouldn't bother with passports themselves.
  • Options

Floater said:

"Tsar Alexander went all the way to Paris!" - Stalin in 1945.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    Leon said:
    As Russia plans its invasion of Eastern Europe, conservative freedom fighters are exercised by the expansionary evil of wokery.
  • Options
    Hmm Kinabalu's comment surprised me as I thought I was clear it was an etymological remark. So I googled it and the term white out which I used is according to Google common in the USA, Canada and Australia but it doesn't name the UK. So not sure if it was clear this is what I was referring to: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correction_fluid

What would people call that sort of fluid? I've always used the term white out.

And would people consider that to be racist or avoid using that term today? I've never even thought twice about it and if I had a bottle of that fluid I'd call it white out still as it's the name I know it by.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_xP said:
    Pathetic argument.

It might be the reverse. It might be the example of Scotland imposing something unwanted on England that would counterbalance the Brexit decision.

Unless, of course, Scotland decided they wouldn't bother with passports themselves.
    Your last sentence is the immediate bone of contention - though if the Union were dissolved then Scotland would be free to go back into the EU if it wanted, of course.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

What would people call that sort of fluid? I've always used the term white out.

Tipp-Ex.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

If anything.

Never heard the phrase "whiteout" at all - and I lived in Sydney for a while back then. You must have been in the outback.

But I agree. Tippex isn't racist. If somebody is saying that as part of the culture wars they need to back off.
    Melbourne not Sydney but it's simply what it was called. I always had a bottle of whiteout in my pencil case.

I was contrasting whiteout or as you call it Tippex with whitewash. It's about covering up, not cleanliness.
  • Options
    The Comedy club at the centre of the Liverpool Vax Pass trial controversy have issued a statement.

https://twitter.com/HWCCLiverpool/status/1379511256961458178?s=19
  • Options
    edited April 2021

DavidL said:

No doubt when Ukraine asks NATO for help repulsing the Russians the Germans will put out a statement that sounds suitably like a dissapointed parent scolding misbehaving children, one that urges a cease-fire and a negiotiated settlement. They will refuse to get involved in any other way.

And we may get to find out if Ukraine really did get rid of all its nukes, or if they have a couple tucked away. Just in case.
    We may also find out how effective their Turkish drones are in a European theatre. If they are anything like as effective as they were in Nagorno Karabakh this could escalate rapidly.
  • Options
    A few years ago everyone was saying that during the 21st century China would become more like Western countries. At the moment it looks like the West is becoming more like China.
This discussion has been closed.