Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tonight’s Opinium poll sees CON lead down 4% and Johnson’s approval down 6% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BoJo seems to think those of us working from home don't actually do any work, we just bunk off. What an arsehole
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I wonder how rich the average PB poster is

Discounting employer pension contributions (add a further £9000) my income this financial year will be somewhere around £44,000.

Which apparently puts me in the top 7% of earners in the country.

It’s probably actually higher than that in terms of disposable income, as I live alone and in a very cheap area.

I must admit a bit like Leon’s friend, I find it hard to get my head around that. I don’t feel like one of the wealthy elite - certainly I don’t think I live like them - but it does occur to me that I have more money than I need, a decent house and access to pretty much anything I want, and I seldom have to back off from a project on financial grounds. I think the only thing I’ve had to rethink is buying an electric car, and that wasn’t solely due to money.

And however you look at it, that makes me pretty fortunate.
    There are a couple of things, I think. Firstly, if you work with people who mostly earn more than you, that can make you feel poorer even though relative to the general population you may be fairly well off. This is especially true in London.

Secondly, it's a lot easier to spot the wealth (possessions etc.) of others rather than the poverty of others.
    But I don’t work with or hang round people who earn more than me. I’m at the top end of a teacher’s salary and work in an inner city school.

Similarly, I’m aware I have more assets than most people (how many people in their thirties have two houses)?

I just don’t think of myself as rich. Possibly because I went through a great many years of being very poor, until I was well into my thirties, but I think it’s more because everyone who isn’t absolutely minted thinks ‘rich’ is ‘anyone who earns five grand a year more than me.’

Although I suppose that does link to your first point.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Most governments would settle for a 4% lead, a year and a half after the last election.

FPT, Bristol West is a great example of the shifts that have taken place among urban upper middle class voters. Other seats like Hornsey & Wood Green, Leeds NE and NW, Manchester Withington, Exeter show the same shift. I'd be interested for views as to why upper middle class voters in big cities have become very left wing (even as voters elsewhere have shifted right).

Guilt, and property values, and they are related

If you own a nice house in a nice part of a big UK city, you have enjoyed a huge capital boost from rising house prices over the last decades (and you may have benefited from your parents' houses doing the same, which you have inherited)

This is unearned wealth. You did nothing to deserve this lottery win. You were just lucky. Unearned luck creates guilt, especially when you see the younger generation struggling to buy, with worse jobs and prospects

This is why self-made people are often happily and openly right wing, they didn't luck out (in their eyes) they EARNED the fortune, so Labour and the taxman can take a hike

Also, we have not had a majorly confiscatory leftwing UK government for a long while. One that might lift top tax rates to 60-70%, impose a wealth tax, and so on. So the upper middle feels invulnerable and able to virtuously vote left. The Commies will never arrive

Views would rapidly change in the urbanite metropolitans if a Corbynite party ever came to power
    I find there is also often a strange delusion of "we aren't actually very rich" mentality, because we only have the cars on finance and thus any talk of soak the rich is well that's not us obviously, we only have a household income of £100-150k+ a year.
    The definition of "rich" has been tested with polling I believe. And produced actual results.....

It's someone who earns 3-4 times more than the person you ask.

So in the case you mention - they will be going on about the barstewards on £500K
    Also, lots of upper middle class rich people tend to mix with other upper middle class rich people. It's human nature

So they often encounter people who are much richer than them, so they feel kind of average, even tho they might have a net worth of £500k-£1m and be earning, as a couple, £100-150k a year

That puts them in the top 1-2% of the country but they will feel "quite ordinary middle class" because they see others with SO much more, very frequently

I am affluent. Decidedly so, by average British standards. But when my friend bought a private jet for $57m I thought "basically, I'm skint, I'm practically Oliver Twist"

Tis only natural
    And a three bedroom terrace is still only a three bedroom terrace even if its valued at nearly a million.

It must be difficult to think of yourself as rich when you're living in the same sort of house as seen on Coronation Street.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,824
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Discounting employer pension contributions (add a further £9000) my income this financial year will be somewhere around £44,000.

It’s probably actually higher than that in terms of disposable income, as I live alone and in a very cheap area.

I must admit a bit like Leon’s friend, I find it hard to get my head around that. I don’t feel like one of the wealthy elite - certainly I don’t think I live like them - but it does occur to me that I have more money than I need, a decent house and access to pretty much anything I want, and I seldom have to back off from a project on financial grounds. I think the only thing I’ve had to rethink is buying an electric car, and that wasn’t solely due to money.

There are a couple of things, I think. Firstly, if you work with people who mostly earn more than you, that can make you feel poorer even though relative to the general population you may be fairly well off. This is especially true in London.

Secondly, it's a lot easier to spot the wealth (possessions etc.) of others rather than the poverty of others.
    Wealth and income are separate things of course.

If we look at wealth, including housing capital, then the under 40s are worse off than previous generations, even those on what appear to be good incomes.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    With the discussion on the last thread, I'm wondering if we're going to reach a bit of a plateau - or at least shallow out a bit.

Limits of one dose
    One dose of vaccine is strong protection. But strong protection is not perfect protection. The SIREN data shows to show that a single dose reduces symptomatic infections by around 60%, reduces hospitalisations by 80% and fatalities by 85%. We've been racing out those first doses and Groups 1-4 are now in the "protected by Dose 1" category. So, with cases stable, their outcomes (illness, hospitalisation, and death) should stabilise in this window of time: down 80% on hospitalisations against these case numbers, and down 85% on deaths.

The ICNARC report shows that over the last week or so, after a long period of falls, the Group 1-4 admission to ICU has plateaued at around 30 per week - way, way down on the 500+ per week of the peak, but it has plateaued. Groups 5-9 are still falling (as I'd expect as more and more of them go into the "protected" category), and those outside those groups have also plateaued against the plateaued case numbers.

The CFR of the over-90s (the first group dosed) has been dropping from nearly 40% and levelled off at 14% or so - which fits. Death figures have kept descending because more and more in Groups 5-9 are getting one-dose protection.

However - the oldest groups are by far the largest component of deaths, so the reducing effects in the other age groups will have diminishing returns.

But now we’re well past 3 million second doses and accelerating. It takes a couple of weeks after Dose 2 to be up at full protection, so just under 1.5 million of the most vulnerable are now at full protection, which we expect (from the trials, and from Israel's experience) to be significantly better still.

It does mean that we MAY see a flattening for a week or three in deaths and a lesser flattening (as it's not quite so dominated by age) in hospitalisations as well. The raw numbers in hospital and ICU should continue to march downwards, as the fact that people stay in hospital for a considerable time dominates these figures - they need time to empty the wards back down of the accumulated numbers of people they have needed to treat.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    ydoethur said:

It's an unfair world. On the previous thread you said I should be ignorned because I'm permanently confused. Yet those who employ me consider me worth a hell of a lot more than you.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

BoJo seems to think those of us working from home don't actually do any work, we just bunk off. What an arsehole

I think he's desperate for London not to collapse.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

Latest EMA gives the Tories a 6% lead and an overall majority of 30.

Barnesian said:

That table is showing a Tory lead of 5.8% - a swing to Labour of 2.9% since December 2019. On the basis of UNS , it implies 28 Labour gains. The LD figure - 6.9% - implies a swing to Con from LD of circa 1.6%. On a UNS basis , no LD seats would fall - Tim Farron would just squeak home in Westmoreland. Tory majority would be circa 20 - depending on performance in seats held in Scotland.
    There are still the boundary changes to come. A further ~5 seats, minimum, in the blue column and away from the reds.

Tory maj back to circa 30.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2021

I live in London dude. I can assure you that telling people that working from home is taking "days off" is not the way to resolve the issue of central London collapsing.

Zone 2/Zone 3 will do absolutely fine.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Germany woefully behind with COVID vaccinations, and shortages only small part of an "unbelievable" problem...

Dr. Joachim Wunderlich, a cardiologist who has helped staff a local vaccination center in Berlin, told CBS News that the bureaucratic process for people to get vaccinated in Germany was "unbelievable," and the amount of paperwork involved, "insane."

"You can't expect an over-80-year-old to fill out 10 pages and numerous consent forms and ask them to call a hotline to make an appointment," he said. "And then they risk being turned away because they forgot some forms at home."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/germany-covid-vaccine-slow-rollout-shortages-bureaucracy-european-union/

I guess its even harder for Fritz the 3 year old who has been invited because he has an old dude name and he gets his crayon out....

They say they will only be able to start vaccinations in GP surgeries from the end of April and the health minister is asking people to be patient.

https://twitter.com/BILD/status/1375826046507958276
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited March 2021

I think the heading should be "down to 4%" - but the poll is an interesting confirmation of the trend recently. The pattern is consistently that the Tories get a temporary bounce when there's good news, and it then drifts down again.

Except this isn't true.....look at the smoothed national voting intention. there is no bounce / unbounce pattern at all. Tories steadily lost vote share since the GE, Labour picked up, it then stabilised at about even for 3-4 months, and then since Christmas, Tories opened up a gap which at the moment loads steady (maybe in 1 point).

https://www.politico.eu/europe-poll-of-polls/united-kingdom/
    You can map the smoothed trends onto the story of the pandemic, for the most part.

Phase 1: Tory support climbs immediately after GE, with formal exit from the EU and the Labour leadership process. There may also have been a rally round the flag effect from the initial emergency and lockdown. This is also the period during which the modest Lib Dem bounce from the GE unwinds, presumably with the yellow Tory tendency migrating back to supporting the Government once the Remain cause was lost. Tory support peaks in April, around the time both of the first wave mortality peak and the election of Keir Starmer.

Phase 2: The boost in Government support unwinds heading into the Summer period. The death toll from the disease has been terrible, but it looks like we might just be over the worst of the emergency. The Lib Dems continue to flatline so Labour, having finally got rid of Corbyn and replaced him with someone who won't scare the horses, are the sole beneficiaries.

Phase 3: We head into Autumn, and it becomes obvious that the disease hasn't gone away. We're heading into what may very well be a dismal Winter, with cases on the rise again and the Government having not exactly covered itself in glory. Lockdowns make a comeback in November. The parties are now neck-and-neck. This continues through the tier system mess, the re-tightening of restrictions and the Christmas fiasco. The Tories are averaging around 38% in December (equating, at a guess, to about 42% in England,) which may be a fair indication of the overall floor of their support at the moment.

Phase 4: Vaccination gets properly underway in the New Year. We are now stuck in yet another horrible lockdown and there are a lot of people dying, but there's also the prospect of escape. The Government gradually re-opens a polling gap over Labour, until it gets to about 6%.

We're now at the point where all the oldies have had their jabs but most of the rest of us are waiting. The oldies are very grateful, everybody else mainly wants to be let out of jail.

My guess is that the Government may get some further electoral benefit from unlocking on April 12th, but more likely it is already widely expected by the public and therefore baked into the current figures. There might be some further benefit to be gained from completing the vaccination project, but OTOH the remaining recipients are at substantially less risk and it'd probably be too late to help the Tories in the forthcoming round of elections even if it happens: we're still being told not to expect significant progress on cohort 10 until May.

Sixteen GB/UK VI polls have been conducted and published so far in March, and the mean Conservative lead indicated by them is 6.6% (Con 42.5%, Lab 35.9%.) That's probably the best indication we have of where people are at the moment, and it's likely where they'll still be come the locals.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517

With good reason
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615
    Foxy said:

Floater said:
    Bit crass to say so, but it is true.

Ultimately all order in society is by threat of violence, and the police are the sharp end of that.

It is why policing needs to be by consent, and in turn for the laws to have widespread support. When communities feel that the laws are unfair, the police are seen as an oppressive occupying force. There are plenty of examples in British history.
    'The use of force as a last resort by officers sworn to keep the peace is a necessary instrument of any civil society, capitalist or otherwise, dedicated to protect the weak and vulnerable from those who would hurt them' is the same thing in different words.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

It's an unfair world. On the previous thread you said I should be ignorned because I'm permanently confused. Yet those who employ me consider me worth a hell of a lot more than you.
    You come across as the Harvey Weinstein of the advertising world.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

Germany woefully behind with COVID vaccinations, and shortages only small part of an "unbelievable" problem...

Dr. Joachim Wunderlich, a cardiologist who has helped staff a local vaccination center in Berlin, told CBS News that the bureaucratic process for people to get vaccinated in Germany was "unbelievable," and the amount of paperwork involved, "insane."

"You can't expect an over-80-year-old to fill out 10 pages and numerous consent forms and ask them to call a hotline to make an appointment," he said. "And then they risk being turned away because they forgot some forms at home."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/germany-covid-vaccine-slow-rollout-shortages-bureaucracy-european-union/

I guess its even harder for Fritz the 3 year old who has been invited because he has an old dude name and he gets his crayon out....

One thing that surprised many people about the UK rollout, was how it expected and built in the idea of being approximate. That is, from the first, when the very oldest were being prioritised, it was assumed that 25% of dose would go to much younger people - to avoid wastage.

Before it started, many, for example, were demanding that the NHS be placed in the priority list. In fact, since the spare vaccinations were mostly occurring in a medical context, the NHS has been rapidly vaccinated - reaching 92% of frontline staff a little while ago, IIRC.

I would suggest that one of the lessons that could be learnt from this is that pointless accuracy doesn't help - the vaccinations of the older groups are more valuable, it is true. But we are aiming to vaccinate everyone in the end.
  • Options

Its a widespread view among those who travel to their work location.
  • Options

I live in London dude. I can assure you that telling people that working from home is taking "days off" is not the way to resolve the issue of central London collapsing.

Zone 1 makes all the money. And it is in deep pain
  • Options
    Leon said:

With good reason
    Then he should come up with better advice than telling people that working from home is basically bunking off.

I've done more work in the last 6 months than the previous two years. I've worked 12 hour days, all from home. I have not taken "days off". I've only recently had a bit of time off.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

I didn't dispute that, I disputed that telling people that working from home is bunking off or taking time off is the way to resolve that.

This kind of think is frankly insulting to a lot of us that have worked throughout this pandemic.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

One thing that surprised many people about the UK rollout, was how it expected and built in the idea of being approximate. That is, from the first, when the very oldest were being prioritised, it was assumed that 25% of dose would go to much younger people - to avoid wastage.

Before it started, many, for example, were demanding that the NHS be placed in the priority list. In fact, since the spare vaccinations were mostly occurring in a medical context, the NHS has been rapidly vaccinated - reaching 92% of frontline staff a little while ago, IIRC.

I would suggest that one of the lessons that could be learnt from this is that pointless accuracy doesn't help - the vaccinations of the older groups are more valuable, it is true. But we are aiming to vaccinate everyone in the end.
    Perfect is the enemy of good....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Foxy said:

Phil said:

Skewed somewhat by a few oddballs I imagine! I suspect the median PB poster is still considerably wealthier than the median UK earner even so.
    Probably simpler to list the PBers with incomes below the median. A pretty short list I expect, probably mostly pensioners.
    I'm quite surprised to learn I am above the median by a couple of grand. That's really not good for most people.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

I get quite angry at people who don't realise this basic truth. Most people don't earn large amounts, by definition. Median household income in the UK is around £28-30k

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyear2020#:~:text=Median income between the financial,on average 0.8% per year.

That is enough for a decent life, of course, and we are a safe, wealthy country. But it means you don't have to go much higher than this to be obviously wealthy to MOST people, even if you don't feel it. Such as you

Someone with a personal net income of £50k a year is RICH. They will furiously deny it, they certainly won't believe it. But they are. To most of the country
    A lot of people also don't realise that it's median HOUSEHOLD income. Therefore two adults earning 30k have double the median household income but probably don't feel "rich".
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

I get quite angry at people who don't realise this basic truth. Most people don't earn large amounts, by definition. Median household income in the UK is around £28-30k

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyear2020#:~:text=Median income between the financial,on average 0.8% per year.

That is enough for a decent life, of course, and we are a safe, wealthy country. But it means you don't have to go much higher than this to be obviously wealthy to MOST people, even if you don't feel it. Such as you

Someone with a personal net income of £50k a year is RICH. They will furiously deny it, they certainly won't believe it. But they are. To most of the country
    Why do they deny it? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

I thought you made your living letting out properties?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Floater said:
    For some people, a boot in the face is all they deserve.
  • Options
    If the bounce is dipping it could be because many people have had a vaccine but we are all still in lockdown. The numbers could improve again as we start to relax.
  • Options
    Leon said:

With good reason
    There's no particular reason to suppose that London will "collapse," and to the extent that economic activity migrates to the provinces (as a product of hybrid working - one would imagine that the end state of all of this will primarily be part of the week in an office, part of the week at home,) that benefits areas that vote Tory to the detriment of a city that doesn't.

That's not to say that the Government cares nothing for London, but the urban cores are solid Labour and the deep rural shires are solid Tory, and the electoral battleground is in the red wall towns. The focus of Government effort and expenditure has to shift towards them.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    One of the less successful Conservative GE slogans, yet still more effective than 'Are you thinking what we're thinking?'
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

That table is showing a Tory lead of 5.8% - a swing to Labour of 2.9% since December 2019. On the basis of UNS , it implies 28 Labour gains. The LD figure - 6.9% - implies a swing to Con from LD of circa 1.6%. On a UNS basis , no LD seats would fall - Tim Farron would just squeak home in Westmoreland. Tory majority would be circa 20 - depending on performance in seats held in Scotland.
    There are still the boundary changes to come. A further ~5 seats, minimum, in the blue column and away from the reds.

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

That may well be so - we shall have to wait and see. There are suggestions that Tory gains in Red Wall seats in 2019 might mean that net gains from a boundary view will be more limited than usual.Also population growth in London seats might help Labour there.
    I suspect the original forecast is based on Electoral Calculus - which I view with suspicion whilst not dismissing it.I much prefer UNS.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

So you're saying you're worth a fair wodge of wedge, Woger?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    According to the CDU, criticism of Germany's vaccine rollout is unfair, but look who's been left off their graph...
    https://twitter.com/cducsubt/status/1375801301737558020
  • Options

According to the CDU, criticism of Germany's vaccine rollout is unfair, but look who's been left off their graph...

Somebody has helpfully replied....

https://twitter.com/argonerd/status/1375879680822292480?s=20
  • Options

Typical, can’t bear the Israelis being good at anything even now.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.

Middle class morality disapproves of 'excess wealth' ie more than they have.

It especially disapproves of working class people who have become wealthy ie overturning the 'natural order'.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Out of interest, if that was said about - say - a teacher who foolishly showed controversial images for no obvious reason, how would you have reacted?
  • Options

Leon said:

With good reason
    There's no particular reason to suppose that London will "collapse," and to the extent that economic activity migrates to the provinces (as a product of hybrid working - one would imagine that the end state of all of this will primarily be part of the week in an office, part of the week at home,) that benefits areas that vote Tory to the detriment of a city that doesn't.

That's not to say that the Government cares nothing for London, but the urban cores are solid Labour and the deep rural shires are solid Tory, and the electoral battleground is in the red wall towns. The focus of Government effort and expenditure has to shift towards them.
    Clueless
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

That doesn't surprise me. Someone as full of their own importance as you is unlikely to see tings outside a very narrow window
  • Options

We often leave out Israel too, but that's a particularly pathetic attempt by them.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Leon said:

It's the professional services of Zone 1 that make all the money and that is carrying on but just at home. The collapse of Pret in central London is not calamitous to the nations finances - especially if their activity relocates to the suburbs. Admittedly it will remove the attraction for those living in zone 1 if their surroundings become a ghost land.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Out of interest, if that was said about - say - a teacher who foolishly showed controversial images for no obvious reason, how would you have reacted?
    I would say it of people rioting for no reason. Someone expressing an opinion? Not so much.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

lol. A graphic just asking to be ratio'd. And lo, it came to pass
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

That doesn't surprise me. Someone as full of their own importance as you is unlikely to see tings outside a very narrow window
    Leaving aside the spelling errors and the truly awesome lack of self awareness, the other hints on this thread suggest you also work in advertising. Or possibly sexual procurement, but I will assume advertising.

I can imagine you would be well suited to it. Confusion, muddle headedness, rudeness, an inability to deal with facts and a total refusal to engage in a meaningful way with others would presumably be de rigeur.

So I’m not altogether surprised if it earns you a large income.

I’m just puzzled as to why you think it shows you are in some way more valuable than people who do useful work.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

As well as that sensible use of any excess another good thing is that the siren calls for special priotisation of all sort of groups were ignored. I have not a shadow of a doubt that had the vaccination programme attempted to follow those demands that it would have slowed down considerably.

If we were trying to rank every risk group, occupation, and age band we'd probably still be arguing about who gets it when, not already half way through the first doses.
  • Options

Also, income is one of the classical statistical distributions where the mean and the median are very different.

The mean income is more like 45-50k in the UK. The median is 28-30k.

There are a lot of people at the bottom, earning very little. The median is skewed way lower than the mean.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Be careful. One day it may be your face that the police decide they don't like.
    Almost certainly not, unless he decides to take up rioting as a hobby.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    I would say it of people rioting for no reason. Someone expressing an opinion? Not so much.
    The implication of your comment was that Webbe herself deserved a boot in the face. And while she is an unpleasant woman and a very bad MP, that struck me as going much too far.

Was that not what you meant?

(I have to say, I’m not sure even rioters deserve ‘a boot in the face.’ Five years, perhaps.)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    edited March 2021

Indeed. And this is far from the first time he has said it. It's been several times over many months, so it is clearly his opinion.
    It does, at least open up a front to be shot at. Not everyone is going to be happy being coerced into offices again (particularly when it is for little good reason).
    Speaks to a general feeling that the Tory view of the economic structure of the workplace in 2022 is exactly the same as it was in 2019.
    Which I'm not sure is even achievable, let alone beneficial.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    That seems over the top.

It's very, very strange that someone like this is an MP though. She's clearly recommending anarchy. She's also clearly an idiot.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

A lot of people also don't realise that it's median HOUSEHOLD income. Therefore two adults earning 30k have double the median household income but probably don't feel "rich".

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

I actually did fell pretty rich when our household income was about £60k - we had no children, we're comfortably saving £1000/month for a house deposit and still doing everything we wanted.

Now I'm about there myself and wife not working (well, more than full time as maon child carer!) and obviously feel much poorer with mortgage, kids and eyeing up affordability for a bigger house /extension. Still feel lucky though. My parents' household income was low, I guess that gives me a bit more perspective.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Leon said:

It's the professional services of Zone 1 that make all the money and that is carrying on but just at home. The collapse of Pret in central London is not calamitous to the nations finances - especially if their activity relocates to the suburbs. Admittedly it will remove the attraction for those living in zone 1 if their surroundings become a ghost land.
    No, it is the collapse of central London as a world class centre of tourism, music, theatre, art, gastronomy, and education. Along with that there is an entire elite of billionaires and millionaires paying hefty taxes (and employing thousands) to enjoy this world city. Then add in the infrastructure that supports them all - transport to accommodation

If that goes, we could lose 5-10% of GDP permanently. That is Depression style stuff, along with what we have already suffered. It could even be worse than that. Tourist cities across the UK will shudder :Bath to Cambridge, York to Edinburgh,

This is not "a few Prets", it is a terrible savaging of our economy.

Now, you could argue this will be, in the end, a positive thing. A rebalancing away from London. Perhaps so (I reckon it will just be bad). Either way, this is going to be, very shortly, very painful for us all, in terms of the tax take, and our national wellbeing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Leaving aside the spelling errors and the truly awesome lack of self awareness, the other hints on this thread suggest you also work in advertising. Or possibly sexual procurement, but I will assume advertising.

I can imagine you would be well suited to it. Confusion, muddle headedness, rudeness, an inability to deal with facts and a total refusal to engage in a meaningful way with others would presumably be de rigeur.

I’m just puzzled as to why you think it shows you are in some way more valuable than people who do useful work.
    I assume -- from his random comments on women -- Roger makes ads like these:

https://tinyurl.com/4wdaezw2
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

He already has other hobbies which are almost as bad - compulsive lying and shagging multiple women whilst supposedly in a committed relationship.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

Turkeys. Xmas. :D:D

"... Another returning at Malaga airport today was Shaun Cromber who despite voting for Britain to leave the EU, didn’t believe it would end his Spanish lifestyle, he said: ” Yes I voted out, but I didn’t realise it would come to this, my application has been rejected and we are on our way home – the wife is in tears, she’s distraught if I’m honest and I’m not too happy at the prospect of returning back to the UK. ..."

https://global247news.com/2021/03/26/tears-flow-for-brits-as-they-head-home-to-avoid-being-deported-as-illegals-in-spain/amp/

The most fustrating thing about Brexit to me, is not that the UK now isn't in the EU, it's that it's made UK citizens lose freedom of movement in the EEA, something which most British people (including quite a few Leavers) didn't want.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    That seems over the top.

It's very, very strange that someone like this is an MP though. She's clearly recommending anarchy. She's also clearly an idiot.
    She was parachuted by Corbyn into Leicester East to replace Keith Vaz, strongly objected to by the local party. She has been as useless as expected, and I think likely to be deselected next GE.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

I assume -- from his random comments on women -- Roger makes ads like these:

https://tinyurl.com/4wdaezw2
    Wow! It sounds like I’ve missed a whole PB saga here! Is that the sort of thing he talks about when I’m out at work? I assumed he just made random weird insults about people he didn’t approve of, I.e. most people - like SeanT but not funny. But clearly there’s more to it than that.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

No, it is the collapse of central London as a world class centre of tourism, music, theatre, art, gastronomy, and education. Along with that there is an entire elite of billionaires and millionaires paying hefty taxes (and employing thousands) to enjoy this world city. Then add in the infrastructure that supports them all - transport to accommodation

If that goes, we could lose 5-10% of GDP permanently. That is Depression style stuff, along with what we have already suffered. It could even be worse than that. Tourist cities across the UK will shudder :Bath to Cambridge, York to Edinburgh,

Now, you could argue this will be, in the end, a positive thing. A rebalancing away from London. Perhaps so (I reckon it will just be bad). Either way, this is going to be, very shortly, very painful for us all, in terms of the tax take, and our national wellbeing.
    You should write a book on London Life or at least a whole novel set in it. I know one of your past ones had a bit of the Strand area ? in it
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    That seems over the top.

She was parachuted by Corbyn into Leicester East to replace Keith Vaz, strongly objected to by the local party. She has been as useless as expected, and I think likely to be deselected next GE.
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    That seems over the top.

I find it difficult not to be suspicious re- the forces at play in certain areas of Leicester Labour politics. The influence of the Janners comes to mind.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

He already has other hobbies which are almost as bad - compulsive lying and shagging multiple women whilst supposedly in a committed relationship.
    Are you quite sure that we're talking about the same person? :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    CatMan said:

"... Another returning at Malaga airport today was Shaun Cromber who despite voting for Britain to leave the EU, didn’t believe it would end his Spanish lifestyle, he said: ” Yes I voted out, but I didn’t realise it would come to this, my application has been rejected and we are on our way home – the wife is in tears, she’s distraught if I’m honest and I’m not too happy at the prospect of returning back to the UK. ..."

https://global247news.com/2021/03/26/tears-flow-for-brits-as-they-head-home-to-avoid-being-deported-as-illegals-in-spain/amp/

The most fustrating thing about Brexit to me, is not that the UK now isn't in the EU, it's that it's made UK citizens lose freedom of movement in the EEA, something which most British people (including quite a few Leavers) didn't want.
    Without the Leave campaign getting high turnout from working class voters, particularly in the North and Midlands, to end free movement from Eastern Europe in particular to the UK and replace it with a points system then Remain would probably have won. That was also a key plank of the winning 2019 Tory manifesto

• Options
    Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

Did Central Londons tourism and leisure depend on people working in offices in the centre however - since its getting workers back in their office that Johnson seemed to be advocating.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    That seems over the top.

To be honest, she comes across as quite thick

Her subtitler is unable to spell "dispicable"

How has the country of Shakespeare ended up with tribunes of the people like this?!

https://twitter.com/UniteEastMids/status/1375547616663105540?s=20

Labour used to be the party of the whip-smart working classes, men and women you could admire, who had fought their way out of poverty, grabbed a great education, and could argue a Tory wanker under the table

Today's Labour is just dispiriting. Mediocrities, at best
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Most governments would settle for a 4% lead, a year and a half after the last election.

FPT, Bristol West is a great example of the shifts that have taken place among urban upper middle class voters. Other seats like Hornsey & Wood Green, Leeds NE and NW, Manchester Withington, Exeter show the same shift. I'd be interested for views as to why upper middle class voters in big cities have become very left wing (even as voters elsewhere have shifted right).

Guilt, and property values, and they are related

If you own a nice house in a nice part of a big UK city, you have enjoyed a huge capital boost from rising house prices over the last decades (and you may have benefited from your parents' houses doing the same, which you have inherited)

This is unearned wealth. You did nothing to deserve this lottery win. You were just lucky. Unearned luck creates guilt, especially when you see the younger generation struggling to buy, with worse jobs and prospects

This is why self-made people are often happily and openly right wing, they didn't luck out (in their eyes) they EARNED the fortune, so Labour and the taxman can take a hike

Also, we have not had a majorly confiscatory leftwing UK government for a long while. One that might lift top tax rates to 60-70%, impose a wealth tax, and so on. So the upper middle feels invulnerable and able to virtuously vote left. The Commies will never arrive

Views would rapidly change in the urbanite metropolitans if a Corbynite party ever came to power
    I find there is also often a strange delusion of "we aren't actually very rich" mentality, because we only have the cars on finance and thus any talk of soak the rich is well that's not us obviously, we only have a household income of £100-150k+ a year.
    For some reason I hear a lot about problems whenever I suggest the the CGT Exemption on Main Dwellings be phased out.

I never knew there were so many "buts" in the world.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    That seems over the top.

To be honest, she comes across as quite thick

Her subtitler is unable to spell "dispicable"

How has the country of Shakespeare ended up with tribunes of the people like this?!

https://twitter.com/UniteEastMids/status/1375547616663105540?s=20

Labour used to be the party of the whip-smart working classes, men and women you could admire, who had fought their way out of poverty, grabbed a great education, and could argue a Tory wanker under the table

Today's Labour is just dispiriting. Mediocrities, at best
    It's a cliche, but it really is true we get the politicians and leaders we deserve. We want mediocrities. Certainly we reward the behaviours that lead to them being the only ones who make it.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

Did Central Londons tourism and leisure depend on people working in offices in the centre however - since its getting workers back in their office that Johnson seemed to be advocating.
    To some extent it does - it provides critical mass .
  • Options

Thanks for the assurance 'dude', I wasn't actually commenting on whether I think it will collapse, or whether he's right or wrong, or whether it should or shouldn't be allowed to 'collapse' in its current form anyway.
  • Options
    Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

I don't see London falling away, perhaps the reverse in the long term. Huge challenges are ahead though. Damage London and you damage us all (UK).

As a nation we want London to be the world's capital - it sort of is. We also want the other cities of the UK to be powerful and wonderful in their own right - they are, but there's room to be greater.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    That seems over the top.

Assuming she survives her legal troubles, which sound quite involved one way and another:

https://courtnewsuk.co.uk/mps-lawyer-taken-to-hospital/

Incidentally, I’m starting to think I was a little unfair on Roger. Autocorrect is acting really weirdly tonight. Not sure if it’s my iPad cracking up or a generally thing.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Johnson?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

You come across as the Harvey Weinstein of the advertising world.
    Come now, Harvey was probably more self aware
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    Taking a small number and doubling it does not make a big number. Twice average earnings does not create wealthiness. It makes someone more comfortably off.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    CatMan said:

And we are coming up to the 90 day Schengen limit (assuming Day 1 was 1st Jan 2021) so it might not be just Spain that will be sending Brits back.

In other news, Brexit continues to be a success at reducing exports with figures showing a 40% drop across food and drink sectors.

Now with £5K fines for holidaying abroad, I wonder how the foreign travel sector will do this year? And Brits do love their foreign holidays....

Interesting times ahead for Boris and HMG
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Johnson?
    No, I was talking about @Sean_F when you jumped in with your amusingly lurid accusations about him...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Johnson?
    I was thinking that while SeanF and I don’t agree on too much, that was a rather strange non-sequitur. I’ve never seen him discuss his private life, and again, I was wondering what I had missed.

But apparently you thought we were referring to the esteemed First Lord of the Treasury.
  • Options

CatMan said:

And we are coming up to the 90 day Schengen limit (assuming Day 1 was 1st Jan 2021) so it might not be just Spain that will be sending Brits back.

In other news, Brexit continues to be a success at reducing exports with figures showing a 40% drop across food and drink sectors.

Now with £5K fines for holidaying abroad, I wonder how the foreign travel sector will do this year? And Brits do love their foreign holidays....

(Perhaps I just have missed your posts, but nice to see you back.)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

Londoncentric claptrap.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Johnson?
    I was thinking that while SeanF and I don’t agree on too much, that was a rather strange non-sequitur. I’ve never seen him discuss his private life, and again, I was wondering what I had missed.

But apparently you thought we were referring to the esteemed First Lord of the Treasury.
    I am sorry - I appear to have misread that. I withdraw it.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

Yes, you need the whole ecosystem. And that includes a million office workers flooding in, filling restaurants, going to pubs after work, having lunch and evening meetings. That makes the *buzz* of a world city

Take them away and you lose an awful lot of the buzz and you have a museum town - Venice - except London is not remotely as beautiful as Venice (nowhere is)

Take away foreign students, as well....

London is a precious thing. I know many resent it. But it generates great wealth, like all world cities. We fuck with it at our peril
  • Options
    @Leon do you have a link to a good Singapore chicken laksa recipe?
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

The critical mass will still be there, it will just be travelling in from home to do something in the evening / weekend. As long as everyone doesn't move to the country, city centres should still survive although they may just become more tourist / leisure focused.
  • Options
    Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

JonathanD said:

Leon said:

Yes, you need the whole ecosystem. And that includes a million office workers flooding in, filling restaurants, going to pubs after work, having lunch and evening meetings. That makes the *buzz* of a world city

Take them away and you lose an awful lot of the buzz and you have a museum town - Venice - except London is not remotely as beautiful as Venice (nowhere is)

Take away foreign students, as well....

London is a precious thing. I know many resent it. But it generates great wealth, like all world cities. We fuck with it at our peril
    Its not even the wealth it generates its the hope , opportunity and confidence , alongside cultural (not necessarily high brow) excellence and a feel good buzz you just dont get in say Tunbridge Wells
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Omnium said:

CatMan said:

(Perhaps I just have missed your posts, but nice to see you back.)
    Thanks but I have not been bothering with posting here. Of late, I have found PB a bit too Trumpian for my taste and even tonight there are people posting about kicking people in the face because they disagree with their opinions.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.

The trouble is modern day Christians have turned the meaning of that line upside down.
    They interpret it as "we must stop people being poor".
    But the original meaning was "don't worry about being poor - you're going to heaven".
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

Doesn't Mr Smithson Iike Boris?

Maybe highlighting poor polls for Boris and downplaying the good ones really will influence the next election result.

And don’t forget the yellow firewall!
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Johnson?
    No, I was talking about @Sean_F when you jumped in with your amusingly lurid accusations about him...
    Thank you for pointing it out!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    That seems over the top.

Assuming she survives her legal troubles, which sound quite involved one way and another:

https://courtnewsuk.co.uk/mps-lawyer-taken-to-hospital/

Incidentally, I’m starting to think I was a little unfair on Roger. Autocorrect is acting really weirdly tonight. Not sure if it’s my iPad cracking up or a generally thing.
    The local party is also annoyed that she hasn't dropped her role as Concillor in Islington.

There was also a strong feeling that the candidate should be Asian, and there were a number of well supported local ones. I am a bit suspicious of such sentiments, but it is more justified where the other 2 Labour MPs are white British.
  • Options

Thanks for the assurance 'dude', I wasn't actually commenting on whether I think it will collapse, or whether he's right or wrong, or whether it should or shouldn't be allowed to 'collapse' in its current form anyway.
    Dude is a perfectly normal thing to say, I don't know why you always respond like I'm an alien.

What an odd poster you are.
  • Options

CatMan said:

I’m not going abroad for the moment, even though I like travelling and I could live perfectly comfortably in quarantine for a couple of weeks as long as they had WiFi and let me keep my laptop. And could afford to. It just isn’t worth the risks and extra hassle.

But then, I do like holidaying in the UK as well, so it’s not a hardship. I’m thinking a week in Salisbury and possibly a few days in Durham or Northumberland. That will suit me nicely once lockdown ends, which it hopefully will have done by July.

And on that cheerful thought, good night.
  • Options

I do! This is the one I just did. It is one of tastiest dishes I have ever cooked

https://www.recipetineats.com/laksa-soup/

Sublime. So many deep, near-infinite flavours. You can order the more obscure ingredients online - there aren't many - if you can't find an Oriental supermarket.

Waitrose does a good laksa paste.

The one REALLY tricky thing to find is tofu puffs, but amazon can sort that

Enjoy! It takes about an hour to cook. But not a stressful hour. Lots of time to chill and drink wine
  • Options
    Odd stories from tonight's World Cup qualifiers:

1. The Dutch allowed 5,000 supporters in to watch their win over Latvia. This may turn into an interesting epidemiological study into the risk of letting fans back into stadiums. The Netherlands' per capita Covid case rate is over twice that of Germany (a little over 400 per million per day) and is closely tracking the upward trajectory seen in France
    2. Republic of Ireland 0, Luxembourg 1
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

justin124 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Floater said:
    Wow. Just wow.

Johnson?
    Actually it was @Sean_F (check upthread!).
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Loft laggers of the world have been given their P45...

BBC News - Green Homes Grant scheme to insulate houses axed
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56552484
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

The trouble is modern day Christians have turned the meaning of that line upside down.
    But the original meaning was "don't worry about being poor - you're going to heaven".
    yeah like its a good idea to literally stick with the old scriptures - maybe make a sacrifice of the first born as well will help? I am not a massive Christ fan but the modern interpretation is far better than basically saying accept your lot on earth . Even Christ went berserk with the moneylenders so he must have thought the poor needed less exploitation
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

justin124 said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

That may well be so - we shall have to wait and see. There are suggestions that Tory gains in Red Wall seats in 2019 might mean that net gains from a boundary view will be more limited than usual.Also population growth in London seats might help Labour there.
    I suspect the original forecast is based on Electoral Calculus - which I view with suspicion whilst not dismissing it.I much prefer UNS.
    Isn't London supposed to be down by half-a-million people or so?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I do! This is the one I just did. It is one of tastiest dishes I have ever cooked

https://www.recipetineats.com/laksa-soup/

Sublime. So many deep, near-infinite flavours. You can order the more obscure ingredients online - there aren't many - if you can't find an Oriental supermarket.

Waitrose does a good laksa paste.

The one REALLY tricky thing to find is tofu puffs, but amazon can sort that

Enjoy! It takes about an hour to cook. But not a stressful hour. Lots of time to chill and drink wine
    Cheers. I'll give it a go. There's a big Chinese/asian supermarket in Newcastle so I'll give them a try first!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

It seems pretty clear to me that it means redistribution of wealth. The line occurs in this context (KJV):

18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

• Options

Dude is a perfectly normal thing to say, I don't know why you always respond like I'm an alien.

What an odd poster you are.
    OK cool - I think a good way forward might be for me just not to respond.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Odd stories from tonight's World Cup qualifiers:

1. The Dutch allowed 5,000 supporters in to watch their win over Latvia. This may turn into an interesting epidemiological study into the risk of letting fans back into stadiums. The Netherlands' per capita Covid case rate is over twice that of Germany (a little over 400 per million per day) and is closely tracking the upward trajectory seen in France
    2. Republic of Ireland 0, Luxembourg 1

On 1, I reckon we could have carried on having fans in grounds the whole time without any problems. The issue for the bigger grounds is transportation, but I think we could have allowed lower league clubs to have c.2,000 fans.

On 2, it's worth noting that Luxembourg has a population that's getting on for twice the size of Iceland who, of course, qualified for the 2018 World Cup. I read a piece in World Soccer magazine that said one of the problems Luxembourg have is that it's difficult to get their people to play football. Whereas for most of the world playing second or third tier football would be a good career, it isn't if you're from Luxembourg!
  • Options
    Apparently Ed Davey has been out and about in Wiltshire today as part of local election campaigning. Be interesting to see if gains can be made, 2017 was a bad locals for many LDs expecting a better time.
This discussion has been closed.