Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rogue Lawyer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited March 2021
    justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (+1)
    LAB: 34% (+1)
    GRN: 7% (+1)
    LDEM: 5% (-2)
    REFUK: 3% (-)

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

Yougov is consistently showing higher Green vote shares than other pollsters - clearly to Labour's detriment. Yesterday's Yougov Wales Westminster poll also had Plaid on 17% - which appears very unlikely. Plaid would do well to reach 12%.
    You have no knowledge of Welsh politics to make that statement

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1372690114753744899?s=19
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Age related data - scaled to 100K population per age group

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534

algarkirk said:

Banning protests, seeking to place the Government above the law, banning people from leaving the country. These are not the actions of a democratically minded open Government.

Limiting protest to protect the rights of individuals from nuisance isn't banning protest. Try Hong Kong or Burman for what that looks like.

The government will still be obliged to abide by its own laws. At least until we have clear examples of this not being the case from the Court of Appeal/SC who will be quick to say so.

Banning leaving is a temporary measure to do with death causing illness, and concerns the medical dangers of acting on your right to return.

1. It is not just limiting protest, it is giving the police such wide ranging powers that they could ban any protest if the felt like it. It is, in effect, an enabling act. There is unlikely to ever be protest march that someone does not find a nuisance, particularly when noise is one criteria. All this law does is allow the authorities to ban any protest they don't like.

2. As Cyclefree has already pointed out the Government has clearly decided it is not obliged to abide by its own laws - see 'break the law in a limited and specific way' as one example. More importantly it has decided that the courts should not be allowed to decide on points of law as to whether or not they have broken said laws.

3. Banning leaving the country is not in any way a proportionate reaction. It also sets a precedent - Governments love those things - for future, perhaps less obvious, situations. If they were that worried about people bringing disease back in they could have said people can leave but may not return until we know they are not infected. That would have been proportionate.

You are trying to defend the indefensible.
    Very sympathetic to your view, which instinctively I follow. but:

1) My difficulty is that I neither trust the police to act with sense (Clapham recently) nor protesters even to want to obey reasonable laws ('Kill the Bill' last week). On balance I want to protect ordinary people from nuisance and society from organised mayhem. I'm not sure whether a better draft has been offered.

2) Government has been foolish to speak of its own lawbreaking. Of course. Quoting it does not make a case. In the special circumstance of Ireland, where both the EU and UK have already threatened unilateral action, this is because Brexit and the island of Ireland are logically incompatible facts given the red lines. I still want real world examples of where the courts won't be able to stop government breaking its own laws.

3) Sympathetic but realistically temporary bans may be the best available in practice.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    So. Do we think the govt will stick to the lockdown timetable? With deaths in double figures and the NHS seemingly protected?

And should they. Or not?
  • Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Figures are a little late today

So many daily tests, Excel COVID edition is taking longer to boot up?
    I did break Excel and the server this morning.

I asked for a transactions report today, and instead of asking for a batched total report I accidentally asked it for every single transaction, which is 18 million transactions. Oops.
    The server should have calculated the number of rows and then refused the batch. Not your fault, it's up to IT to stop the stupid users being stupid.
    I am Head of Regulatory Affairs & Compliance, apparently I have unlimited power to check *everything* that goes on.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes. Who regulates your affairs and compliance?
    The Prudential Regulatory Authority, The Financial Conduct Authority, The Bank of England, The Securities and Exchange Commission, The European Banking Authority, The European Securities and Markets Authority, The European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority, and The Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority

There are a few others, but they are the main ones.
    Blimey, that's a lot of regulation and compliance, they must not trust anybody!
    But who regulates the FCA and the SFMSA?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited March 2021
    isam said:

Sir Keir vs EdM (first 128 Leader Ratings)

Darker colours are Gross Satisfied, lighter shades are Net Satisfaction

This is Sir Keir's lead over EdM in Gross Satisfaction (Blue) and Net Satisfaction (Orange) for the first 128 polls of their Leadership

• Options
    England CFR

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

I understand all of those words, individually. But together they make no sense to me. Can anyone translate?
    If you replace 'pat' with 'firm' it kinda makes sense.
    Its along the lines of if I understand

EU: London you must stop doing euro swaps, they are only allowed to be done in the EU

London: No
    This is A LOT more complicated than that. In particular, there is the issue of whether the BOE will be implicitly backing Euro denominated swaps between EU counterparties.

If the Italian government defaults on a Euro-denominated swap, and the German government is the beneficiary, do we really want to be guaranteeing that?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Testing, while still huge, trailing off slightly:

That, and the cases - which were essentially flat from 7-15 Mar - look like they may be starting to drop off again. Only very slowly, but it seems like it might be happening nonetheless. Perhaps the two things are related, and enough of the asymptomatic cases amongst kids have been identified and isolated to have some kind of impact upon transmission?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    TOPPING said:

So. Do we think the govt will stick to the lockdown timetable? With deaths in double figures and the NHS seemingly protected?

And should they. Or not?

No way they relax earlier I am sad to say. The slow opening up will run as timetabled or even be put back. Worrying to hear talk of third surge when no evidence for one in UK to be honest.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

I like the quote at the end of the header. There's a similar one from the Buddha -

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."

I like this one too but I'm not sure how true it is. Let's see what happens in Hartlepool.

Consulted fake Buddha quotes on that. (There are a great number around).
    Conclusion. Fake-ish. Inaccurate paraphrase.
    https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/three-things-cannot-be-long-hidden-the-sun-the-moon-and-the-truth/
    Ah ok. I thought it was pukka. I do regular meditations but you are far more clued in to this, I think.
    Fake Buddha quotes is a really interesting site. Top scholarship there.
    The problem with Buddhism, unlike most other religions, is that there is such a vast quantity of stuff. Buddha taught several times a day for 50+ years. He said a great many things. Plus, the Mahayana has humungous swathes of later texts as canon, too. No individual, however learned or devout, can memorise it all.
    Therefore, it is highly susceptible to "random hippy dippy inspirational banality quote." Signed The Buddha.

No man is happier than he who ceases to seek happiness.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

England CFR

The 15-44 line seems absent from both graphs ?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Good. Let's hope this "vaccine ban" really was just absurdist theatre.
    Something will emerge.

Ursula and Friends' arses have not lost their requirement to be covered.

It will be May or June at least before they feel safe on the rollout, and by then a lorra-lorra more people might be dead. I guess their only benign option is to persuade the population to treat vaccination like a cheered on spectator sport, as we do.

EU goes through 600k death toll on Friday.

That's 100k more since I wrote my header last month.

850k would be a rather higher death per pop than UK.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited March 2021
    TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

The all out gamble on vaccines paid off. That gave the government the time and headspace to come up with a sensible, cautious plan. (Germany, amingst others, is in full on panic).We haven't seen a surge in positives from schools going back, so on to stage 2.
    Why potentially chuck the gains away on a reckless gamble just now?
    They should stick with it. Because it is working.
    Will they? Not sure.
    That's my take.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

That, and the cases - which were essentially flat from 7-15 Mar - look like they may be starting to drop off again. Only very slowly, but it seems like it might be happening nonetheless. Perhaps the two things are related, and enough of the asymptomatic cases amongst kids have been identified and isolated to have some kind of impact upon transmission?
    If they can stop infections among kids from leading to community transmission, they that initial increase should burn itself out quickly and then cases should continue to fall.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

They should, apart from foreign holidays.

Will they? Your guess is as good as mine. You'd have to say it's likely, but I'm not actually going to believe any of it until it happens.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Cases in all age groups are falling apart from 0-14 (at least for England). 0-14 still rising.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    This will take the smirks off a few faces...........................

STATEMENT FROM ALEX SALMOND AT CONCLUSION OF INQUIRIES

This is my third and final public statement on the subject of the parliamentary and Hamilton investigations and the Dunlop Review.
    The Inquiries are over and despite their manifest limitations, the findings are in and must be accepted, just like the verdicts of juries and the judgements of courts.
    A year ago, outside the High Court, I said that there was evidence which I wished to see the light of day. Some of that key material, including the government legal advice, eventually emerged through the Parliamentary Committee. Much of it did not.
    https://wingsoverscotland.com/time-to-shine-a-light/
  • Options

Cookie said:

I understand all of those words, individually. But together they make no sense to me. Can anyone translate?
    Very sensible of the UK regulators. Why on earth would we do otherwise? It's entirely the EU's stupid fault if they want to impose arbitrary and irrational restrictions on whether their banks can access the dominant European financial market; we don't have to match their stupidity.

While we're on the subject, why on earth are UK high street banks restricting whether EU residents can hold accounts here and closing ex-pat accounts? OK, the EU might not like us offering services to EU residents, but who cares what they like? It's none of their business.
    Money laundering regulations and the lack of banking licenses in the EU.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

Cookie said:

Very sensible of the UK regulators. Why on earth would we do otherwise? It's entirely the EU's stupid fault if they want to impose arbitrary and irrational restrictions on whether their banks can access the dominant European financial market; we don't have to match their stupidity.

While we're on the subject, why on earth are UK high street banks restricting whether EU residents can hold accounts here and closing ex-pat accounts? OK, the EU might not like us offering services to EU residents, but who cares what they like? It's none of their business.
    Deposit insurance?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Cookie said:

It's completely stupid, as the article points out the biggest losers have been EU based banks that have been forced to give up access to London's markets, usually to US and UK based rivals. The main damage being done is to EU companies.

On retail banks, they're also being stupid. There's no scenario where they get fined by the FCA for ensuring European people have got bank accounts.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Endillion said:

But Democrats do aspire to MLK's vision. The current arguments are not about the ends, but the means: how do you achieve a society in which character is always more important than skin colour?

No, I don't agree. I don't think the hard left Democrats want racial equality. In the same way as certain elements of the UK Labour party don't want equality, because it would restrict their ability to claim victimhood, and paint their political opponents as evil.
    Biden has just appointed a woman who has argued "Melanin endows Blacks with greater mental, physical and spiritual abilities – something which cannot be measured based on Eurocentric standards" as head of the Civil Rights Division of the US Department of Justice.
    Looks like a distinguished career from her Wiki biography. Do you want to cancel her for something she wrote as a student in 1994 in response to the racist Bell Curve stuff?
    I think the answer to that is probably yes.

She was born in 1976, so would have been 18 back then...
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

No way they relax earlier I am sad to say. The slow opening up will run as timetabled or even be put back. Worrying to hear talk of third surge when no evidence for one in UK to be honest.
    The lockdown happy combined with those frit of normality make up the majority at the moment. If they continue to down this route there will be a lot more rioting this summer.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Its along the lines of if I understand

EU: London you must stop doing euro swaps, they are only allowed to be done in the EU

London: No
    This is A LOT more complicated than that. In particular, there is the issue of whether the BOE will be implicitly backing Euro denominated swaps between EU counterparties.

If the Italian government defaults on a Euro-denominated swap, and the German government is the beneficiary, do we really want to be guaranteeing that?
    Thanks everyone. I'm slightly the wiser.
    'Pat' was the biggest mystery.
    Everything else was the secind biggest mystery.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    Pulpstar said:

England CFR

Bloody Boomers. Making Millenials invisible.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

The all out gamble on vaccines paid off. That gave the government the time and headspace to come up with a sensible, cautious plan. (Germany, amingst others, is in full on panic).We haven't seen a surge in positives from schools going back, so on to stage 2.
    Will they? Not sure.
    That's my take.
    'Why potentially chuck the gains away on a reckless gamble just now?'

Because people are fed up and the economy is suffering?

I don't pretend to know the right answer but there is an argument for gambling on reopening - The Gambler being the title of the Boris Johnson biography.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

England CFR

That is because the CFR for 15-44 is tiny. The CFR for everyone is a fraction of a percent. But the CFR for the elderly was 40% at one point.

It's being overwritten by the 0-14 line at the bottom of the graph.....
  • Options

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

Yougov is consistently showing higher Green vote shares than other pollsters - clearly to Labour's detriment. Yesterday's Yougov Wales Westminster poll also had Plaid on 17% - which appears very unlikely. Plaid would do well to reach 12%.

To be absolutely fair to Justin, a PC performance as good as 17% at a General Election would be something of a turn-up for the books. They only managed 10% last time. AFAIK Plaid have never come close to winning a Commons seat beyond the four they currently hold and Ynys Mon; at the last GE they were no better than third anywhere else, and a pretty poor third at that in every case except Llanelli.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

Will they? Not sure.
    That's my take.
    I wouldn't call it a gamble - with the possible execution of the 12 week gap for Pfizer (12 weeks is the recommended gap for AZN). Unless you are referring to the original vaccine development program.

Both vaccines were known to be highly effective in the months before they were approved. The end of trials and the acceptance simply put a stamp on that.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

Will they? Not sure.
    That's my take.

I don't pretend to know the right answer but there is an argument for gambling on reopening - The Gambler being the title of the Boris Johnson biography.
    This being Boris Johnson we're talking about here, you'd be a fool to rule out a volte face, I quite agree. However, the Government has thus far been uncommonly disciplined in sticking to these five weeks gaps, with strong backing from the sensible wing of the scientific community. I'd be surprised if they suddenly decided to hurry things along. Not very surprised. But surprised nonetheless.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Should be mandatory as a condition for reopening. If it's optional then competition will make pubs reluctant to do it. What's the problem? Most adutls will have had vaccinations shortly, so excluding those who haven't will merely affect the recalcitrant types who refuse (fine, I'm not in favour of it being mandatory, but then don't claim the right to mingle and infect others)
  • Options
    SforzandoSforzando Posts: 18
    edited March 2021
    Another one?

Neil Gray MP (SNP, Airdrie & Shotts) has become Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead (effectively resigning from parliament).

A by-election will be held!

— Election Maps UK (@ElectionMapsUK) March 24, 2021
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

With respect I grew up in Wales and most of my family still live in Pembrokeshire. Beyond that , I suspect that your knowledge of the electoral history of the Wrexham ward quoted is far from complete.It has a very quirky history indeed! In 1995 it was the sole Tory gain from Labour across the country when won by Stuart Andrew - now MP for Pudsey. For many years it then became a LibDem stronghold before eventually falling to Labour - largely due to a strong personal vote for the candidate. Reading anything into that result would be a mistake - other than that the personal vote matters a great deal there.

• Options

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

Will they? Not sure.
    That's my take.
    I wouldn't call it a gamble - with the possible execution of the 12 week gap for Pfizer (12 weeks is the recommended gap for AZN). Unless you are referring to the original vaccine development program.

Both vaccines were known to be highly effective in the months before they were approved. The end of trials and the acceptance simply put a stamp on that.
    We should get some pfizer 12 week antibody? numbers in anger soon I think ?
  • Options
    Sforzando said:

Another one?

Neil Gray MP (SNP, Airdrie & Shotts) has become Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead (effectively resigning from parliament).

This has already been heavily trailed. He's running for the corresponding seat in the Scottish Parliament.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

It's completely stupid, as the article points out the biggest losers have been EU based banks that have been forced to give up access to London's markets, usually to US and UK based rivals. The main damage being done is to EU companies.

On retail banks, they're also being stupid. There's no scenario where they get fined by the FCA for ensuring European people have got bank accounts.
    Don't forget that MiFID relates to where the customer is, not where the financial services provider is.
  • Options

Should be mandatory as a condition for reopening. If it's optional then competition will make pubs reluctant to do it. What's the problem? Most adutls will have had vaccinations shortly, so excluding those who haven't will merely affect the recalcitrant types who refuse (fine, I'm not in favour of it being mandatory, but then don't claim the right to mingle and infect others)
    It's fine for old fucks, not for the rest of the population.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

Will they? Not sure.
    That's my take.

Know when to hold 'em, etc...
    As I said. Not sure they will.
    For me. The plan is working.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

The ability of European banks to be totally wrong-footed by the blindingly obvious is hardly a new thing.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

And should they. Or not?

Will they? Not sure.
    That's my take.

This being Boris Johnson we're talking about here, you'd be a fool to rule out a volte face, I quite agree. However, the Government has thus far been uncommonly disciplined in sticking to these five weeks gaps, with strong backing from the sensible wing of the scientific community. I'd be surprised if they suddenly decided to hurry things along. Not very surprised. But surprised nonetheless.
    I think they'll stick to the dates. It's close to a certainty. And if they do move, it's imo more likely they'll speed up than slow down.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983

Er, what about twentysomethings who will probably have to wait until June do their jabs? Sideline them despite all the sacrifices they have made for the elderly?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Cookie said:

If they are UK high street banks, operating accounts in the UK, what on earth have EU banking licenses got to do with anything? We can and do offer bank accounts to people from any country, and always have. For that matter I had a French bank account in 1974, and my father had a Swiss bank account in the 1960s, because he'd inherited some money there. There were no reciprocal banking licences as far as I know.

As for money laundering, what is the issue? We can check the identities as usual (in fact, these are existing accounts being closed).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Endillion said:

But Democrats do aspire to MLK's vision. The current arguments are not about the ends, but the means: how do you achieve a society in which character is always more important than skin colour?

No, I don't agree. I don't think the hard left Democrats want racial equality. In the same way as certain elements of the UK Labour party don't want equality, because it would restrict their ability to claim victimhood, and paint their political opponents as evil.
    Biden has just appointed a woman who has argued "Melanin endows Blacks with greater mental, physical and spiritual abilities – something which cannot be measured based on Eurocentric standards" as head of the Civil Rights Division of the US Department of Justice.
    Looks like a distinguished career from her Wiki biography. Do you want to cancel her for something she wrote as a student in 1994 in response to the racist Bell Curve stuff?
    She chose to respond to the Bell Curve not by arguing that character is more important than skin colour, but that the colour of her skin gave her "greater mental, physical and spiritual abilities... which cannot be measured based on Eurocentric standards".
    But that cuts both ways: are you saying that anyone who says anything that might be considered as supportive of "The Bell Curve" should be banned from any government job?
    They key thing surely is whether people can back up their positions with credible science and data?
    Isn't the key thing that saying 'black people are better than white people' wouldn't be acceptable the otger way around?
    I say this not out of white fragility, @kinbalu, but to show that the application of differential standards according eding to race is a feature of Democrat culture.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Most adults? Thus speaks a 75-yr old. When is a 30-yr old due a jab?
    Covid has made far too many of us lacking in empathy.
  • Options

Cookie said:

If they are UK high street banks, operating accounts in the UK, what on earth have EU banking licenses got to do with anything? We can and do offer bank accounts to people from any country, and always have. For that matter I had a French bank account in 1974, and my father had a Swiss bank account in the 1960s, because he'd inherited some money there. There were no reciprocal banking licences as far as I know.

As for money laundering, what is the issue? We can check the identities as usual (in fact, these are existing accounts being closed).
    As mentioned MiFID relates to where the customer is so British banks would be caught by this and we are seeing divergence already in the UK.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

It's even worse than that, I think - UK citizens have had their UK accounts closed because they happen to live in the EU. What on earth is that about?
  • Options

Sforzando said:

Another one?

This has already been heavily trailed. He's running for the corresponding seat in the Scottish Parliament.

Labour should be seriously targetting this seat.Failure to pick it up will be a blow to them.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Covid has made far too many of us lacking in empathy.
    Plus Nick's "don't claim the right to mingle" WTAF.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

The ability of European banks to be totally wrong-footed by the blindingly obvious is hardly a new thing.
    You can strike "European" from that and still have a solid offering.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Bravo to @Cyclefree for the Yes Minister quote :)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

By July, I believe? (I'm 71) In the meantime, who is actually in fabour of a resurgence?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

By July, I believe? (I'm 71) In the meantime, who is actually in fabour of a resurgence?
    The deal was these measures are in place to protect the NHS from imminent threat, not as permanent just in case safety blanket.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

So the 20-30 yr olds will be there, noses pressed against the window for three months.

Soz about the age. You post like a much sprightlier type.
  • Options

Er, what about twentysomethings who will probably have to wait until June do their jabs? Sideline them despite all the sacrifices they have made for the elderly?
    No - just protect them and other twentysomethings from catching a disease which probably won't kill them but may well cause permanent damage to them. We're at the end of March. Is it really responsible to let the disease start soreading again, just so people can go indoors in a pub in the next 3 months?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

One thing the current debacle over vaccine supply chains highlights is that the Commission is full of people who don't understand how business actually works. It's like pulling back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

As mentioned MiFID relates to where the customer is so British banks would be caught by this and we are seeing divergence already in the UK.

But MiFID is an EU set of regulations. We have no agreement on services. We have no equivalence or passporting.
    So why on earth should UK regulators have to impose the idiotic bits of MiFID on UK banks and UK citizens?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sforzando said:

Another one?

By the way, I love this about Britis politics. You can't simply resign your seat, you have to be appointed to one of two very specific positions which, almost as a happy coincidence, cannot be occupird at the same time as a seat in parliament.
    Which clever clogs can say who the existing Steward of the Manor of Northstead is? And who is the Chiltern Hundreds one? (I don't know the answer OTTOMH)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    BBC News - Coronavirus: EU and UK try to end row with 'win-win' on vaccines

After weeks of tensions over Covid vaccine supplies, the UK government and European Commission have said they are working together to improve their relationship over the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56509521

Doesn't it take two to have a row?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

UK deaths

I'm very interested at watching the deaths-by-date-of-death from around the 18th onwards. Cases looked like they plateaued(-ish) three weeks before, and with reporting lag, the final few days of deaths-by-date look as though they could be hinting at a plateau around 50-60 per day.
    Hopefully not, but worth watching.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

With respect I grew up in Wales and most of my family still live in Pembrokeshire. Beyond that , I suspect that your knowledge of the electoral history of the Wrexham ward quoted is far from complete.It has a very quirky history indeed! In 1995 it was the sole Tory gain from Labour across the country when won by Stuart Andrew - now MP for Pudsey. For many years it then became a LibDem stronghold before eventually falling to Labour - largely due to a strong personal vote for the candidate. Reading anything into that result would be a mistake - other than that the personal vote matters a great deal there.

Not interested in history, just the present and Plaid are doing a lot better than your presumed knowledge of Welsh politics and will hurt labour in May

• Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Sforzando said:

Another one?

By the way, I love this about Britis politics. You can't simply resign your seat, you have to be appointed to one of two very specific positions which, almost as a happy coincidence, cannot be occupird at the same time as a seat in parliament.
    Which clever clogs can say who the existing Steward of the Manor of Northstead is? And who is the Chiltern Hundreds one? (I don't know the answer OTTOMH)

By current, of course, I meant previous.
  • Options

Cookie said:

You mentioned ex pat accounts.

You need a banking license in the EU state where the ex pat is, some banks have decided the cost outweighs any benefits.

Some UK banks are closing accounts now because of how Brexit is likely to change 'passporting' arrangements at the end of this year.

'Passporting' is when UK banks are allowed to provide services to customers in other states in the European Economic Area (EEA) – that's the European Union plus Iceland, Liechenstein and Norway – without having to get direct authorisation in those states. Current passporting rules are set to end on 31 December 2020 unless a new agreement is reached with the EU.

What that means is that, as things stand, from 1 January 2021 each UK bank will need to have separate authorisation in every EEA country it wants to operate in. This would mean applying for a licence in any of those countries it doesn't already trade in. As a result, some banks have decided to simply close accounts in countries where they no longer wish to operate.

The issue has been flagged by the Treasury Committee, with its chair Mel Stride this week calling for people to be given 'sufficient warning' if their account is being closed. He has written to the financial regulator asking it to set out how much notice banks should give.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/09/thousands-of-british-expats-face-uk-account-closures/

As for EU citizens here, there's a tendency to remit large money transfers to and from EU states which causes all sorts of money laundering regulations, again costs outweigh the benefits.

One thing that really flags up checks is lots of/regular transactions with organisations like Western Union on your bank account.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

But MiFID is an EU set of regulations. We have no agreement on services. We have no equivalence or passporting.
    So why on earth should UK regulators have to impose the idiotic bits of MiFID on UK banks and UK citizens?
    It applies to EU customers. Just like the Fed oversees all dollar cleared transactions.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Pure Mafioso tactics....

The Italian government said the Carabinieri health squad had gone to "verify" batches after a request by the European Commission. Internal Market Commissioner Thierry Breton told the BBC that he had asked for the raid to ensure everything was on track and it had been "helpful to understand what was happening in Italy".
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

Not interested in history, just the present and Plaid are doing a lot better than your presumed knowledge of Welsh politics and will hurt labour in May

Those who ignore history are doomed....
  • Options
    edited March 2021

UK deaths

I'm very interested at watching the deaths-by-date-of-death from around the 18th onwards. Cases looked like they plateaued(-ish) three weeks before, and with reporting lag, the final few days of deaths-by-date look as though they could be hinting at a plateau around 50-60 per day.
    Hopefully not, but worth watching.
    Yes. Though the admissions numbers have continued down pretty steadily.

• Options
    I think vax passports aren't a bad idea but the gap between the economy being reopened and all adults being offered a jab is... inconvienient.
    There'll be some fudge or other
  • Options
    SNP hold unless there's an Alex Salmond backed independence party that stands and even then it should be an SNP hold.
  • Options

Cookie said:

You mentioned ex pat accounts.

You need a banking license in the EU state where the ex pat is, some banks have decided the cost outweighs any benefits.

Some UK banks are closing accounts now because of how Brexit is likely to change 'passporting' arrangements at the end of this year.

'Passporting' is when UK banks are allowed to provide services to customers in other states in the European Economic Area (EEA) – that's the European Union plus Iceland, Liechenstein and Norway – without having to get direct authorisation in those states. Current passporting rules are set to end on 31 December 2020 unless a new agreement is reached with the EU.

What that means is that, as things stand, from 1 January 2021 each UK bank will need to have separate authorisation in every EEA country it wants to operate in. This would mean applying for a licence in any of those countries it doesn't already trade in. As a result, some banks have decided to simply close accounts in countries where they no longer wish to operate.

The issue has been flagged by the Treasury Committee, with its chair Mel Stride this week calling for people to be given 'sufficient warning' if their account is being closed. He has written to the financial regulator asking it to set out how much notice banks should give.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/09/thousands-of-british-expats-face-uk-account-closures/

As for EU citizens here, there's a tendency to remit large money transfers to and from EU states which causes all sorts of money laundering regulations, again costs outweigh the benefits.

One thing that really flags up checks is lots of/regular transactions with organisations like Western Union on your bank account.
    It is UK accounts in UK branches of UK banks being closed (usually when an ex-pat keeps the account they had when they emigrated). So the bank isn't providing a banking service or operating in the EU country, it is providing a banking service in the UK. Why should we care a toss whether the EU likes this or not?
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

Not interested in history. Big G you do often remind us of your historic connections to Scotland.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited March 2021

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

The trend matters and it is away from labour in Wales and Plaid are in reasonable shape and maybe the Lib Dems will become extinct in Wales in May
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Sforzando said:

Another one?

Personally I wish they would abolish this sillyness.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

I am surprised you have no interest in history , but Plaid doing well in the May Assembly elections is not relevant to my point. Plaid has always outperformed at those elections , but it consistently fails to translate into support at Westminster elections. I believe your own seat of Aberconway provides a good example of that.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    Sforzando said:

Another one?

Can anyone explain why Neil Gray was allowed to resign his seat and stand as an MSP, but Joanna Cherry wasn’t?
  • Options
    Nick just out of interest would you describe yourself as a pub going type?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:
    And labour championing the army is beyond parody
  • Options
    That the Tories won't stand aside and campaign for Labour in defence of their "precious Union."
    Whilst simultaneously urging Labour voters to vote Tory to defeat the SNP at Holyrood.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

BBC News - Coronavirus: EU and UK try to end row with 'win-win' on vaccines

After weeks of tensions over Covid vaccine supplies, the UK government and European Commission have said they are working together to improve their relationship over the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56509521

Doesn't it take two to have a row?

Yes. That's a misleading headline.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

The trend matters and it is away from labour in Wales and Plaid are in reasonable shape and maybe the Lib Dems will become extinct in Wales in May
    If you knew anything you'd already know the Lib Dems became extinct in Wales in 2019 at one level.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Sforzando said:

Another one?

By current, of course, I meant previous.
    The existing Steward is Neil Gray :smile:

His immediate predecessor was John Bercow (I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of these things, I looked it up.)

The Stewardships of the Manor of Northstead and of the Chiltern Hundreds are both positions to which MPs are appointed when they want to resign, apparently because resignation is technically illegal - but so is being an MP whilst holding "an office of profit under the Crown." So an MP effectively gets themselves booted out by taking one of these ceremonial offices. They then hold it until the next one who wants to quit comes along and is appointed in their place.

The current Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds is the Labour chap who just quit in Hartlepool.

(Blockquotes going to pot again...)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

Not interested in history. Big G you do often remind us of your historic connections to Scotland.
    And how has that anything to do with Mays elections in Wales where the trend is away from labour, plaid doing OK and the Lid Dems likely becoming extinct
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nick just out of interest would you describe yourself as a pub going type?
    Nick will be down the pub on 17 May while ensuring all 21-year-olds are locked inside with a Zoom party.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

And how has that anything to do with Mays elections in Wales where the trend is away from labour, plaid doing OK and the Lid Dems likely becoming extinct
    Because you use history as a relevant factor in your political analysis.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Pulpstar said:

I think vax passports aren't a bad idea but the gap between the economy being reopened and all adults being offered a jab is... inconvienient.

Vax passports for internal use are vastly more illiberal than banning people from the country for a short period. Frankly any place that demands to see one is a place not getting my custom. It is vaccine compulsion by the backdoor.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

The very first Wales Assembly elections held in the late 1990s under Blair were good for Plaid. I recall Llanelly was captured from Labour.2016 saw Plaid win the Rhondda - but it meant very little when it came to the general elections in 2017 and 2019.
  • Options

MaxPB said:
    Why's that Big G? Do you not think Labour are interested in the defence of our country and the armed forces?
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

SKS fans please explain

via
    @YouGov
    , 18 - 19 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar

If you knew anything you'd already know the Lib Dems became extinct in Wales in 2019 at one level.
    They still have a seat in the Senedd
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    dixiedean said:

That the Tories won't stand aside and campaign for Labour in defence of their "precious Union."
    Whilst simultaneously urging Labour voters to vote Tory to defeat the SNP at Holyrood.
    Easy SNP hold. Richard Leonard is standing for Labour.
  • Options
    Really struggling not to deploy the word ‘selfish’, which is usually the favourite word of the PB Authoritarians. I won’t do it though.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:
    Why's that Big G? Do you not think Labour are interested in the defence of our country and the armed forces?
    Maybe refer you to Jeremy Corbyn and other members of the labour party
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:
    Maybe refer you to Jeremy Corbyn and other members of the labour party
    That is history Big G.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

MaxPB said:
    Someone’s rattled...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Before the vaccination program is finished they're an evil imposition on the young. After it's finished then, given the likely level of uptake of the vaccines, they should be wholly unnecessary.

Certification might be needed for foreign travel; for domestic purposes, unless you want to punish anti-vaxxers and try to force them into line then it's a rotten idea.
This discussion has been closed.