Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rogue Lawyer – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Racist...would be the screeching if Trump had said it.

Intel's new chief executive has told the BBC it is not "palatable" that so many computer chips are made in Asia.

BBC News - Intel chief Pat Gelsinger: Too many chips made in Asia
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56512430

Actually if a President said it then I don't think it would be racist.

Given the importance to chips to the modern economy, having a reliable domestic supply of chips really could be considered an issue of national security.

The amount that gets spent on nuclear weapons and defence etc - a supply of chips probably is worth more to security than a couple of nukes.
    I was being fascious based on Jon Oliver ridiculous piece where he tried to tie Trump calling covid the China virus as racist hate speech which leads to incidents like the killing of workers at Asian Spas.
    Ah, I get it.

I think Trump was being racist, trying to shift the blame on to Chy-na.

We talk about the South Africa variant, the Brazil variant and the rest of the world talks about the British variant but that's because there's so many not suddenly that it enables people to keep track of what's being talked about.

That wasn't the case when Trump was saying Chy-na, Chy-na, Chy-na for everything.
    China is absolutely to blame for this. They lied and covered up the severity of this for months.
    And yet, if you say "the Chinese virus" you are a racist, but it is perfectly acceptable to say "the British variant" or "the Brazilian variant"

Again, it is clear: China and Russia have weaponised our ludicrous obsession with race, and turned it against us, so we beat ourselves up and they are exonerated. It is painful to watch
    The protestors in Portland and Bristol are the Useful Idiots in this.
    What protesters do you mean in Portland? The peaceful ones? OR the agent provocateurs, either overt like Trumpsky's Proud Boys and federal agents, or covert?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Intel's new chief executive has told the BBC it is not "palatable" that so many computer chips are made in Asia.

Given the importance to chips to the modern economy, having a reliable domestic supply of chips really could be considered an issue of national security.

The amount that gets spent on nuclear weapons and defence etc - a supply of chips probably is worth more to security than a couple of nukes.
    I was being fascious based on Jon Oliver ridiculous piece where he tried to tie Trump calling covid the China virus as racist hate speech which leads to incidents like the killing of workers at Asian Spas.
    Ah, I get it.

We talk about the South Africa variant, the Brazil variant and the rest of the world talks about the British variant but that's because there's so many not suddenly that it enables people to keep track of what's being talked about.

That wasn't the case when Trump was saying Chy-na, Chy-na, Chy-na for everything.
    China is absolutely to blame for this. They lied and covered up the severity of this for months.
    And yet, if you say "the Chinese virus" you are a racist, but it is perfectly acceptable to say "the British variant" or "the Brazilian variant"

Again, it is clear: China and Russia have weaponised our ludicrous obsession with race, and turned it against us, so we beat ourselves up and they are exonerated. It is painful to watch
    Bollocks.

China/Brazil/South Africa is the identifying name people have. The only other name is codes like B117 that people don't understand or use.

"Coronavirus" or "Covid" or "Covid19" is what this was called before Trump started renaming it China virus.
    You seem to believe the weak, powerless, well-meaning Chinese Community Party was largely unaware of the Wuhan virus until about, what, August last year?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited March 2021
    Mortimer said:

Strikes me that the single best piece of news this week is the fall in inflation. My no.1 concern is that too much easy money has been pumped into the system (especially in the US; my timeline is awash with people splurging their stimulus checks on luxury goods) and that we'd see lots of inflation (and rising bond prices) causing immense pain for public purses and private households over the coming years.

Avoiding that will make the recovery so much easier.

The reasons for it are too lockdown-specific to treat today’s figure as of any reassurance
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Sorry but no, I don't think China were very aware of what was going on for months. China lied but not for months and months, not in the same way as Trump did. Just like the UK with the Kent variant, it may have started in October but it wasn't until December we knew what it meant.

Trump lied and covered up the severity of this for months after it was known about.
    What are you fucking talking about? The Chinese were arresting doctors for telling the truth about the Chinese virus back in December 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51364382
    Yes China was lying in December. Trump was lying for months.

This was revealed to the world 31/12/19 - there's no evidence China knew what was going on in September 2019 is there?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Leon said:

alex_ said:

Nobody is up in arms about calling things like Brazil, South African or British variant / covid.
    I think there's a big difference here. The Brazilian/SA/GB variants are described in such a way as a pure statement of fact/identification. It may be factually correct that Covid started in China, but there are clearly ulterior motives at play when the likes of Trump describes it as "China Flu". It is done deliberately to demonise and deflect criticism from himself. So no it is not unreasonable to potentially link it with anti-Asian violence/prejudice IMO. That doesn't mean it was the cause of what happened it Atlanta. But it is possible that there is a link.
    The virus was born in China, in Chinese people, either from a Chinese lab or a Chinese market, it probably spread because the Chinese like to eat weird animals. It was then allowed to explode in China because the Chinese government tried to suppress whistle-blowing Chinese doctors warning the Chinese people about this Chinese virus. Which started in China.

Pointing out the Chinese origin of the virus is not "racism", it is sanity

100 years on, everyone seems to talk of "Spanish Flu" - which, er, didn't originate in Spain...
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Sorry but no, I don't think China were very aware of what was going on for months. China lied but not for months and months, not in the same way as Trump did. Just like the UK with the Kent variant, it may have started in October but it wasn't until December we knew what it meant.

Trump lied and covered up the severity of this for months after it was known about.
    What are you fucking talking about? The Chinese were arresting doctors for telling the truth about the Chinese virus back in December 2019

This was revealed to the world 31/12/19 - there's no evidence China knew what was going on in September 2019 is there?
    I don't even know what you are talking about here. Bonkers
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Which does NOTHING to excuse Trumpsky's racism in particular using it for his (supposed) political benefit.

Racist demagoguery that has gotten many Asian people physically attacked, and some killed, here in the USA.

On the other hand, it was also a KEY reason why he lost Georgia.
    Is "Spanish Flu" racist? When it didn't even originate in Spain?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Bollocks.

China/Brazil/South Africa is the identifying name people have. The only other name is codes like B117 that people don't understand or use.

"Coronavirus" or "Covid" or "Covid19" is what this was called before Trump started renaming it China virus.
    You seem to believe the weak, powerless, well-meaning Chinese Community Party was largely unaware of the Wuhan virus until about, what, August last year?
    No, it was revealed to the world in December 2019, just as the UK revealed the Kent variant to the world in December 2020.

When do you think the Chinese became aware of and fully understood the virus? How many months before Dec 2019?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited March 2021
    edit
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    One thing to remember, due to China's lies early modeling in the UK was wrong and presented to SAGE and the government, they didn't lock down. Then they got the Italian data, cranked the handle and Prof Pantsdown showed the new results and everybody shit the bed.
  • Options
    Scum promoted and advanced by your own hero, Boris Johnson?

My guess is, because BJ is a Putinist, just like DT only (just slightly) less crass about it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Sorry but no, I don't think China were very aware of what was going on for months.
    Revisionism on stilts!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Bollocks.

No, it was revealed to the world in December 2019, just as the UK revealed the Kent variant to the world in December 2020.

When do you think the Chinese became aware of and fully understood the virus? How many months before Dec 2019?
    There is a paper train from China that shows it knew about this in early November. I remember articles from The Times about the "mystery flu" around then too which eventually turned into "China covering up extent of mystery flu".

I don't understand why you're attempting to absolve China in this. They closed domestic flights out of Wuhan and kept international flights open. They inflicted this onto the rest of us.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

In the leaked documents, from October 2019 shows correspondence about this being passed to the party.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

You seem to be implying the Chinese only lied for 1 month - bless
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited March 2021

One thing to remember, due to China's lies early modeling in the UK was wrong and presented to SAGE and the government, they didn't lock down. Then they got the Italian data, cranked the handle and Prof Pantsdown showed the new results and everybody shit the bed.

We still should have closed the border in March last year.

Remember this?

"CORONAVIRUS: PASSENGERS ENTERING UK FROM ITALY FACE ‘ZERO CHECKS’ AT AIRPORT
    ‘How can this be possible?’ says returning traveller

Helen Coffey
    @LenniCoffey
    Monday 09 March 2020

People entering the UK from Italy face “zero checks” for coronavirus at the airport, according to passengers. Journalist Federico Gatti tweeted a picture of passport gates at Gatwick with no staff manning them on Sunday 8 March, writing: “Just landed in London from Milan. Zero checks. No info. How can it be possible?” It follows the Italian government announcing that the entire Lombardy region, which includes Milan, plus 14 provinces including Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Padua and Venice are under quarantine. The lockdown applies to approximately 16 million people – more than a quarter of Italy’s whole population."

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-italy-flight-uk-quarantine-gatwick-heathrow-airport-a9387072.html
  • Options
    As a matter of interest when does Germany have a GE next
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Which does NOTHING to excuse Trumpsky's racism in particular using it for his (supposed) political benefit.

Racist demagoguery that has gotten many Asian people physically attacked, and some killed, here in the USA.

Trump being a racist c*** doesn't absolve China of inflicting this on the world.
    THIS x 100
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Remember this?

Helen Coffey
    @LenniCoffey
    Monday 09 March 2020"

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-italy-flight-uk-quarantine-gatwick-heathrow-airport-a9387072.html
    I think some of us on here were calling for this from early as with the crazy decision to only test those in hospital.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Floater said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

You seem to be implying the Chinese only lied for 1 month - bless
    https://twitter.com/asfarasdelgados/status/1245821289186693120?s=21
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

September.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Bollocks.

There is a paper train from China that shows it knew about this in early November. I remember articles from The Times about the "mystery flu" around then too which eventually turned into "China covering up extent of mystery flu".

I don't understand why you're attempting to absolve China in this. They closed domestic flights out of Wuhan and kept international flights open. They inflicted this onto the rest of us.
    Philip's Wokery is so bad he will defend the Chinese Communist Party when it enables a worldwide plague, and he does this for fear of being "racist"?!

It is a bizarre pathology. I do not pretend to understand it, even as I marvel at its symptoms
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

In the leaked documents, from October 2019 shows correspondence about this being passed to the party.
    Yes, and the whistleblower doctor mysteriously ended up dead. It's laughable to think that China isn't to blame for this situation.
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Bollocks.

Someone seems to be forgetting how China got very bent out of shape at the begining over naming conventions

For a country that seems to be strutting around the world stage they seem very insecure at times.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Yes, and the whistleblower doctor mysteriously ended up dead. It's laughable to think that China isn't to blame for this situation.
    And there is going to be zero punishment for that behaviour.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Can anyone explain why Neil Gray was allowed to resign his seat and stand as an MSP, but Joanna Cherry wasn’t?

As I recall Cherry was offered the same option but refused it. I’m not sure why she felt it was such an obstacle.

Ah.

'She said: "It is unprecedented in our party’s history of dual mandates to demand that a parliamentarian make themselves and their constituency staff unemployed in order to be eligible to be a candidate. It is particularly unreasonable to demand this in the middle of a pandemic.'

https://tinyurl.com/twyypk94
    Supposedly she did not want to have to sack all her staff, she most certainly knew that she was going to be stiffed to let the imposter in anyway so did not agree. She should have gone and stood as an independent. Hopefully Bonnie Prince Bob will take enough votes off Robertson that he gets whipped, would be poetic justice.
    Aye, but she faced the same conditions as any other MP wanting to stand for Holyrood, not some special vendetta against her as was implied. She could still have put herself up for the Edinburgh Central SNP candidate election without resigning her Westminster seat as far as I can see.
    Don't think so TUD, from what I remember she had to resign to put her name forward.
    Did the SNP not change the rules to prevent her standing, then change them back again afterwards?
    Don't know if the rules were changed back, but the rule stated here is 'any member of its Westminster team selected as a Scottish Parliament candidate would have to stand down ahead of polling day.' I can't see any obvious reason Cherry didn't go for it, in the event of her not being selected as the candidate she could have carried on being an MP.

https://tinyurl.com/t8j6ke7n
  • Options

September.
    Thank you
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Andy_JS said:

Remember this?

Helen Coffey
    @LenniCoffey
    Monday 09 March 2020"

I think some of us on here were calling for this from early as with the crazy decision to only test those in hospital.
    We came back from Norway in February and were surprised there were no checks at Glasgow Airport. Not convinced the airline industry has improved since.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

I buy the dreadful story that Dr Li Wenliang was killed by the virus.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

The Chinese produced the RNA sequence surprisingly quickly after the wider world became aware of the virus.

Indeed. It's almost as if they had already known about it for weeks but tried to cover it up.
    Even now just think about how hard it was to get even the sham WHO "investigators" into the country just recently

And they tried to blame the US Military

And on and on and on
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

The opposite of punishment. China has profited, relatively, from the plague, which attacks western countries more than Asian societies. It has recently supplanted the USA as the main trading partner of the EU, due to the reshaping of world trade consequent on Wuhan Flu

Almost as if, once they realised what it was, they thought: right, let's give it to everyone else, because we will benefit in the end.

But only a nation capable of a genocide would do something like that, so thank God that didn't happen
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Floater said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Bollocks.

Someone seems to be forgetting how China got very bent out of shape at the begining over naming conventions

For a country that seems to be strutting around the world stage they seem very insecure at times.
    I don't think it, it is more the chinese state know how sensitive the west are over any charges of racism and can use it against us..where as in china, its perfectly acceptable part of society, from the state locking up ethnic minorities to being able to.openly discriminate against non-chinese in restaurants and shops.

Just to be clear, that isn't to say I think all chinese are racist, that would be racist. More there is a culture, where it is acceptable to openly discriminate in a way it hasn't been in the west for 50 years.

Russia uae exactly this tactic via GRU. They know what things the west are sensitive about and pull at those threads.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

I don't.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

You think that the way Trumpsky talked, spoke and ranted about China was NOT racist?

Your analogy is a red herring.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    “UK vaccine roll out is driven by greed and capitalism.”

It’s refreshing to have an honest up front government, after all the years of spin and slight of hand under New Labour and Cameroonies, an honest government being square with us
  • Options

Leon said:

alex_ said:

Nobody is up in arms about calling things like Brazil, South African or British variant / covid.
    I think there's a big difference here. The Brazilian/SA/GB variants are described in such a way as a pure statement of fact/identification. It may be factually correct that Covid started in China, but there are clearly ulterior motives at play when the likes of Trump describes it as "China Flu". It is done deliberately to demonise and deflect criticism from himself. So no it is not unreasonable to potentially link it with anti-Asian violence/prejudice IMO. That doesn't mean it was the cause of what happened it Atlanta. But it is possible that there is a link.
    The virus was born in China, in Chinese people, either from a Chinese lab or a Chinese market, it probably spread because the Chinese like to eat weird animals. It was then allowed to explode in China because the Chinese government tried to suppress whistle-blowing Chinese doctors warning the Chinese people about this Chinese virus. Which started in China.

Pointing out the Chinese origin of the virus is not "racism", it is sanity

100 years on, everyone seems to talk of "Spanish Flu" - which, er, didn't originate in Spain...
    Yes. It got that name because (during WWI) Spain was one of the very few countries where news of the emerging pandemic was NOT suppressed for reasons of national (in)security.

NOTE that, as far as I know, there was zero campaign against Spain or Spanish people due to the pandemic.

QUITE a contrast to what Trumpsky was up to.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Lots of people need a reminder that in 2010, Barack Obama was very keen to put blame for the Deepwater Horizon incident on a non-existent company called "British Petroleum".

Anyone who thinks references to "Chinese flu" etc are racist, has a fair amount of verbal gymnastics to perform to explain why these two cases are different, or else accept that Obama is also a racist.
  • Options

Floater said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Bollocks.

I don't think it, it is more the chinese state know how sensitive the west are over any charges of racism and can use it against us..where as in china, its perfectly acceptable part of society, from the state locking up ethnic minorities to being able to.openly discriminate against non-chinese in restaurants and shops.

Just to be clear, that isn't to say I think all chinese are racist, that would be racist. More there is a culture, where it is acceptable to openly discriminate in a way it hasn't been in the west for 50 years.

Russia uae exactly this tactic via GRU. They know what things the west are sensitive about and pull at those threads.
    Yes an we are better and they are worse for it.

Instead of wanting to be pleased that we are better than China, some like Leon want to view it as a weakness to be ashamed about.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Lots of people need a reminder that in 2010, Barack Obama was very keen to put blame for the Deepwater Horizon incident on a non-existent company called "British Petroleum".

Anyone who thinks references to "Chinese flu" etc are racist, has a fair amount of verbal gymnastics to perform to explain why these two cases are different, or else accept that Obama is also a racist.

Easy.

Obama was also a racist.

Any other questions?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

I don't.
    Anything more than a gut feeling?

• Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    gealbhan said:

It’s refreshing to have an honest up front government, after all the years of spin and slight of hand under New Labour and Cameroonies, an honest government being square with us

NHS: National health service
  • Options

gealbhan said:

To secure the vaccines by taking it away from both doomed EU plan and Ministry of the NHS, brave enough to go with first dose strategy, and the logistical triumph of the roll out, this is truly any UK governments finest hour.

They should be 20% ahead in the polls not two percent! There is an obvious question being thrown up by polling, in the face of their triumph why is this government not trusted and is so disliked?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

You think that the way Trumpsky talked, spoke and ranted about China was NOT racist?

So "Spanish Flu" is racist or not?

And what's your opinion on Chinese treatment of the Muslim Uighur people?
  • Options
    I fear @Philip_Thompson 's account has been taken over by a Chinese bot!

EDIT and @SeaShantyIrish2 as well!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    China's unbelievable coronavirus performance
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

The opposite of punishment. China has profited, relatively, from the plague, which attacks western countries more than Asian societies. It has recently supplanted the USA as the main trading partner of the EU, due to the reshaping of world trade consequent on Wuhan Flu

Almost as if, once they realised what it was, they thought: right, let's give it to everyone else, because we will benefit in the end.

But only a nation capable of a genocide would do something like that, so thank God that didn't happen
    I don’t like the Chinese regime, but it has to be said, you do write a load of xenophobic shit. If it wasn’t so repulsive it would be laughable for its complete intellectual vacuousness
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

Easy.

Obama was also a racist.

Any other questions?
    Crikey. I'll be the first to shout about how Obama is neither a perfect human being, nor a particularly good President, but I'd bet a fair amount he's generally less prejudiced than I am. So fair play to you if you can honestly say differently, but that really wasn't the answer I was trying to lead you towards.

I would say both are examples of political expediency, tinged in something we could agree to disagree on whether it was patriotism, nationalism or outright xenophobia. At worst.
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

I don’t like the Chinese regime, but it has to be said, you do write a load of xenophobic shit. If it wasn’t so repulsive it would be laughable for its complete intellectual vacuousness
    Aren't the Chinese xenophobic towards Muslims?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    “All of us have to be really careful interpreting death data connected with COVID-19, whatever its source - none of them are perfect,” Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at Britain’s University of Edinburgh, told Reuters.

“They do raise a question about whether, in fact, Sweden’s strategy was relatively successful. They certainly raise that question,” he said, commenting on data first published in Swedish media and checked by Sweden’s statistics office.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-europe-mortality-idUSKBN2BG1R9
  • Options

2 cheeks of the same bot?
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

A very good evening to you too, Nigel.
  • Options

“All of us have to be really careful interpreting death data connected with COVID-19, whatever its source - none of them are perfect,” Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at Britain’s University of Edinburgh, told Reuters.

“They do raise a question about whether, in fact, Sweden’s strategy was relatively successful. They certainly raise that question,” he said, commenting on data first published in Swedish media and checked by Sweden’s statistics office.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-europe-mortality-idUSKBN2BG1R9

Some people are still going to be arguing the toss over who did best and why when the next bloody Plague rolls along.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

To secure the vaccines by taking it away from both doomed EU plan and Ministry of the NHS, brave enough to go with first dose strategy, and the logistical triumph of the roll out, this is truly any UK governments finest hour.

They should be 20% ahead in the polls not two percent! There is an obvious question being thrown up by polling, in the face of their triumph why is this government not trusted and is so disliked?
    To say the roll out is driven by capitalism is a lie.

The AZ vaccine was discovered in a public institution, funded by public research bodies, Its expedition and scale up was funded by the government. And the scale and selectivity of the national 'roll out' was possible only through a truly national health service.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Masked official photos will look so strange to future generations.
    https://twitter.com/SarahMacFCDO/status/1374834913699061761
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1374755456711856133?s=19
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Some people are still going to be arguing the toss over who did best and why when the next bloody Plague rolls along.
    Its easier just to argue who did well, and that group is an ever diminishing set of nations. We don't hear much about South Korea these days, but they are still doing incredibly well, although quite slow on vaccination front.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

To say the role out is driven by capitalism is a lie.

The AZ vaccine was discovered in a public institution, funded by public research bodies, Its expedition and scale up was funded by the government. And the scale and selectivity of the national 'roll out' was possible only through a truly national health service.
    You calling Honest Boris a liar? 😠
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

So "Spanish Flu" is racist or not?

And what's your opinion on Chinese treatment of the Muslim Uighur people?
    The Chinese are engaged in genocide which is far worse than Trump being a racist white supremacist twunt looking to scapegoat others for his own failings.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1374759406567628800?s=09
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

Trump being a racist c*** doesn't absolve China of inflicting this on the world.
    But also China (the Chinese Govt) being culpable for what happened doesn't excuse Trump deliberately deflecting attention from his own clear failures (when he provably knew a lot more about what was going on than he let on) by wilfully seeking to blame the Chinese race and encourage an upsurge in prejudice and violence against the Asian American community.

China being primarily responsible does not justify anti Asian violence. Trump calling out China does not mean that his words didn't inspire targeting of the Asian community. And that when warned about the consequences of his words that he didn't have a responsibility to rein it in.

• Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Public opinion is simply too heterogeneous. A Government polling in the low 40s is actually doing well by historical standards: no party has won over 45% of the popular vote in a UK general election since 1970.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I need some advice from you all.

What are the best books to read about the Hungarian revolution (1956) and the Prague spring?

I'm keen to learn about the Soviet reaction/politics in both.

Raymond Pearson’s The rise and fall of the Soviet empire is a very good introduction, although it would only be an introduction given what you’re looking for.
    Cheers, I've always been fascinated by the fact that Yuri Andropov was Ambassador to Hungary at the time of the Hungarian revolution and that it had a profound impact on him.
    Yes, it turned him into the hardest of hard men.

Soviet joke. Andropov met the Central Committee after the death of Brezhnev, and he was elected successor. His first words were, ‘Very well, Comrades, now you have voted you may lower your hands and step away from the wall.’

And yet, of course, in other important ways he was a reformer even if he was no Gorbachev. His anti-corruption Drive was important and wouldn’t have happened under Chernenko.

I don’t know of any good biography of him in English, although that doesn’t mean there isn’t one. Johanna Granville has done some work on the Hungarian rising, and Martin McCauley is probably the big expert on Khrushchev in English. Might be worth checking their work out.
    Cheers, I'll check them out.
    There is a massive amount of literature on Hungary and Czechoslovakia. Some is by actors involved and a lot by academics with access to the post-communist documentation. For a first hand account of 1968 see Zdenek Mlynar's Night Frost in Prague.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

To say the role out is driven by capitalism is a lie.

You calling Honest Boris a liar? 😠
    Never! Never! Never!
  • Options

Its easier just to argue who did well, and that group is an ever diminishing set of nations. We don't hear much about South Korea these days, but they are still doing incredibly well.
    Indeed. along with Taiwan, South Korea's performance is maybe the most astonishing of all. A big crowded country with multiple airlinks to China. They had zero warnings of Covid's reality (thanks to China lying), they had a big early outbreak. They were set for a terrible plague

Now? They have 99,000 cases TOTAL (not much more than we got in one day at peak Covid) and just 1,700 deaths (again similar to our daily peak)

Amazing. Hats off to Korea. A model to the world.

And to those who say Well they did it with mass surveillance we will never tolerate, I say: look at us now. Locked down in our homes for a YEAR, on and off, and now facing mass surveillance anyway. Who is freer?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

In the interest of balance, I think the Chinese are victims of this too, in the same boat as we are regards fighting virus, I am open minded if it leaked from a lab or dripped from a bat, they didn’t want it to happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    NHS staff in Scotland to be offered 4% pay rise

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-56518221

Is there an election coming up or something?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

But also China (the Chinese Govt) being culpable for what happened doesn't excuse Trump deliberately deflecting attention from his own clear failures (when he provably knew a lot more about what was going on than he let on) by wilfully seeking to blame the Chinese race and encourage an upsurge in prejudice and violence against the Asian American community.

China being primarily responsible does not justify anti Asian violence. Trump calling out China does not mean that his words didn't inspire targeting of the Asian community. And that when warned about the consequences of his words that he didn't have a responsibility to rein it in.

What justifies the Chinese regime's targeting of its Muslim community?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

In the interest of balance, I think the Chinese are victims of this too, in the same boat as we are regards fighting virus, I am open minded if it leaked from a lab or dripped from a bat, they didn’t want it to happen.
    Yes, of course. It is quite possible to differentiate between the Chinese people and the vile Chinese Communist Party, in fact it is essential to differentiate

It was the CCP that lied, it was the CCP that let this bug infect the world, not the Chinese people, who got glued inside their homes and suffered horribly. It is the regime at fault, not any "race"
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

If that is Peak Triumph, total disaster for the Tories.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 778
    Are others on here increasingly tired of the delay before we are legally allowed to do very basic, low risk activities like meeting a group of friends outdoors? Preferably with more than 6 people / 2 households, because that's how friendship groups work for young people in particular.

Weekly excess deaths now negative; 7 day average deaths within 28 days of a positive test now below 80 (and falling >30% a week); people in hospital with Covid below 5,000 with the latest England data; pretty much all over 50s and high risk groups vaccinated... yet we can't meet a group of friends for a picnic or walk outside, which is practically zero risk?

The timing of "indoors" parts of the plan are fine. But the limits on group sizes outside are no longer justified by the data.

Then you have older or vaccinated people discussing vaccine or testing requirements for pubs. No, just no. Everything that has been done in this pandemic has been for them, right down to the ordering of vaccinations. If you don't want to go to a pub that allows non-vaccinated people, you can wait at home until everyone has been offered one, which you'll be waiting a while for as children won't be until the autumn at the earliest.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

I need some advice from you all.

What are the best books to read about the Hungarian revolution (1956) and the Prague spring?

I'm keen to learn about the Soviet reaction/politics in both.

Anne Applebaum’s acclaimed ‘Iron Curtain’ tells the story of the Soviet takeover in E Europe from 1945-56, so would provide a broad perspective.

Victor Sebestyen’s book Twelve Days tells the story of 1956

I don’t have a book specifically about 1968, although I know that Gorbachev’s book has a fair bit about it in it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited March 2021
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Really

I think Boris will take a 9% lead
  • Options

alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Ah, I get it.

What justifies the Chinese regime's targeting of its Muslim community?
    Er, nothing? What's that got to do with it?
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Really

But where is he going to take it? 😃
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Guardian really going for a special on institutionally racist schools in tomorrow paper.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Really

Into the May elections
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Jesus Christ. Make it Stop

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/mar/24/british-schools-are-institutionally-racist-that-must-change-fast

British schools are NOT institutionally racist. This shit is poisonous.

Easy rule of thumb: in any lefty tract, just replace the word 'institutionally' with 'not' to translate to reality.
    I read somewhere the other day (perhaps here?) that you can build an entire career from saying "xxxxx is institutionally racist". This gets you articles in the Guardian and then a place on worried government quangos who will try and address the alleged issue. Then you just move on to the next "xxxx"

Hence "gardening is institutionally racist" or "the monarchy is institutionally racist" or "mathematics is institutionally racist" or "Georgian houses are institutionally racist". All of these examples are real, and there are a million more

These days I just tend to shrug when I see them, it is so much meaningless dross. But this one angered me. I have daughters. I know British schools. They do their utmost NOT to be racist. They have black history month every week. They are inclusive and welcoming. The kids play together in a non racially aware way, it's not Eden but it is a sign of hope. I see schoolkids walking home through Regents Park in big multiracial groups, happy and laughing, and I think Great: that is the future, It can work. People entirely unaware of or unconcerned by skin colour, people experiencing other people as fellow humans, not as members of "a race".

And then along comes a twat like this (white) Guardian writer trying to stir up all kinds of anxiety and animosity, undoing decades of hard work, and it will end with more bitter division and awareness of skin colour than before. "Racial micro invalidations". Jesus.
    Couldn’t we just get them to focus on the DfE as being institutionally racist (it is basically a bunch of thick white poshos so it shouldn’t be that hard) and sit back and smile in the knowledge that any damage the Woke do in that campaign will merely help children’s education?
    I think it is time I wrote the ultimate Guardian article, "the Guardian is institutionally racist, and so am I"
    Is the Guardian aware that in saying that teachers are all racists they are switching off their entire readership, consisting 100% of teachers who believe that everyone in the world is racist except themselves?

The Guardian is now in a very English state of quiet desperation, as their unique way of funding falls apart, as ad spend drops and no one buys folding papers. Their begging letters at the end of each article have got worse, recently they have started hiding the "I don't want to register" button

I reckon the New York Times will devour them, the same way Netflix ate Lovefilm
    Unlikely, the Scott Trust which owns the Guardian has an endowment fund of £1.01 billion.

But they are faced with an existential choice (a bit like the BBC), do they want to slowly burn through that money, and then fold, anyway, or do they want to adjust now, and maybe prosper in future?

Until Covid the Guardian was inching its way back to profit, the plague has sent it into another tailspin. On the Scott endowment they could keep going for another decade, or more, but with no long term future.

Meanwhile the detestable NYT is unfortunately thriving. 7 MILLLION paying subscribers. Profits rising

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/05/business/media/new-york-times-q3-2020-earnings-nyt.html

it occupies the exact same place on the liberal spectrum, and it has infinitely greater resources, and they are - noticeably - offering subscriptions to UK readers for 50p a week.

The NYT can afford to open a UK office doing UK news and they will do it better than the Guardian (because they can pay more), with the same political slant. It is the same, as I say, as Netflix devouring Lovefilm

The Guardian approaches nemesis
    Guardian has been bleeding cash since the 1950s, that despite being set up in exactly the kind of Death Duty dodging tax avoidance structure they excoriate in 1936.

There's quite a good piece here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48111464

It lost £257m between 2008 and 2015, when they flogged off their last substantial asset - the rest of Autotrader - via a secrecy jurisdiction. For £650m.

Suddenly £1bn does not look like very much. And cash has continued to drip away.

Now the owning trust is a Company Limited by Guarantee I think. If I understand correctly it is the same tax avoidance model as used by Oxfam to avoid Corporation Tax on the profits of their bookshops (commercial subsidiaries Gift Aid profits). Not totally sure on that.

For tax avoidance campaigners, both have an integrity problem.

One point that does interest me is whether they pay the once-a-decade charge on Trust Assets like the Duke of Westminster.

Personally I will be delighted when the damn thing goes belly-up.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Are others on here increasingly tired of the delay before we are legally allowed to do very basic, low risk activities like meeting a group of friends outdoors? Preferably with more than 6 people / 2 households, because that's how friendship groups work for young people in particular.

Weekly excess deaths now negative; 7 day average deaths within 28 days of a positive test now below 80 (and falling >30% a week); people in hospital with Covid below 5,000 with the latest England data; pretty much all over 50s and high risk groups vaccinated... yet we can't meet a group of friends for a picnic or walk outside, which is practically zero risk?

The timing of "indoors" parts of the plan are fine. But the limits on group sizes outside are no longer justified by the data.

Then you have older or vaccinated people discussing vaccine or testing requirements for pubs. No, just no. Everything that has been done in this pandemic has been for them, right down to the ordering of vaccinations. If you don't want to go to a pub that allows non-vaccinated people, you can wait at home until everyone has been offered one, which you'll be waiting a while for as children won't be until the autumn at the earliest.

Absolutely. Although to be honest, and reassuringly, i can't see too many pubs being keen on the vaccine passport idea. Unless we're somehow being softened up for such an idea to be made a legal requirement on the grounds that "responsible" pubs are punished for loss of trade (similar to the smoking ban argument)
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited March 2021
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeDVGULe/

..an interesting explanation as to how jabs such as psizer work.

Science really has saved us.
  • Options
    Very greedy of Belgium to have a 3rd dose in the footy....must be because they have a stockpile of 30 million hidden away.
  • Options

Guardian really going for a special on institutionally racist schools in tomorrow paper.

It is repulsive clickbaity journalism. It is as corrosive and irresponsible as anything the Daily Mail does, but from the opposite side

It disheartens everyone, teachers, kids, parents, it stirs up resentment, and distrust. British schools have made marvellous strides in this area, you can see it if you go into any London comprehensive.

Then the Guardian just decides to call them all racist, because it is desperate and is losing money and wants to grab readers with provocative headlines.

If the Guardian does die, I won't miss crap like this
  • Options
    More than one thing can be true at the same time.

The way that China have acted, for years now, is awful. Absolutely atrocious. We possibly are heading into a Cold War against them.

The way that Trump spoke was wrong. He did so because his obfuscation and denialism about this "all going away by itself by Easter" and all the other times he said it was all going away were ridiculously wrong.

China wrong, Trump wrong. Nobody right there.
  • Options
    Leon said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Yes, of course. It is quite possible to differentiate between the Chinese people and the vile Chinese Communist Party, in fact it is essential to differentiate

It was the CCP that lied, it was the CCP that let this bug infect the world, not the Chinese people, who got glued inside their homes and suffered horribly. It is the regime at fault, not any "race"
    They are called Communist, do you think they are communist with the amount of millionaires and billionaires? Regardless what they would like to be called, to be honest to ourselves it’s more Nationalist isn’t it?

A key question would be how are they doing in their fight against poverty, not just creating super rich elite!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited March 2021

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Better for Labour than it looks given the 7% Green vote. Unlikely to exceed 3% in a GE.
  • Options

NHS staff in Scotland to be offered 4% pay rise

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-56518221

Is there an election coming up or something?

The Barnett Formula, don't you just love it?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Better for Labour than it looks given the 7% Green vote. Unlikely to exceed 3% in a GE.
    You say that but the Corbynistas really hate Keir.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

As reliable as Comedy Dave on the EU.....the man who has never seen a bad poll for Labour since 1954.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Really

Into the May elections
    Yes. The Vaccine Bounce Election. And then? 😃
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Example:

https://twitter.com/OllyHFR/status/1374794179201667074?s=20
  • Options
    justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

When we were talking earlier we were at crossed purposes as I was talking about the May Senedd elections

I was not talking about a GE 3 years away
  • Options
    justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Why won't Greens get 7% if the Lib Dems are down to 5%?

Green + Lib Dems = 12% seems low, not high.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

There are no tanks in Baghdad
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Not showing up with other pollsters though! A bit like the unlikely 17% for Plaid yesterday.
  • Options

justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Example:

That just makes me feel sorry for Benitez.

And a little bit Bruce, but he kind of deserves it.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Leon said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

They are called Communist, do you think they are communist with the amount of millionaires and billionaires? Regardless what they would like to be called, to be honest to ourselves it’s more Nationalist isn’t it?

A key question would be how are they doing in their fight against poverty, not just creating super rich elite!
    To be fair to the CCP (not easy) "they" have lifted a billion Chinese out of poverty in forty years. An incredible achievement.

But it isn't hard, if you just stand back and let capitalism do its work: this is what capitalism does. The CCP has simply creamed off the profits.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

justin124 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Example:

Trending on twitter this evening, StarmerOut. I believe lots of people very annoyed that he hasn't stopped the government taking control of Liverpool council affairs.
This discussion has been closed.