Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What makes an effective protest – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125

Good afternoon everyone.

Did I read that Labour abstained on the Sturgeon vote? SLAB obviously taking its lead from Starmer.

As the saying goes they used to be indecisive but they are not so sure anymore.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    DavidL said:

So Halix.

AIUI is not a large facility at all. This is it: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9391335/Factory-heart-EU-row-supplied-us.html
    It produced stuff which was needed when AZ was being tested. It is not approved for the manufacture of vaccine by either the EU or indeed the UK. We have apparently received some vaccine from there but its use is not yet approved in the UK either.

Which seems on the face of it to make this all rather ridiculous. The EU cannot "steal" our vaccine because it is not authorised for use. Given the lack of authorisation it is not obvious how we can use it to meet our forthcoming shortfall either. Its also a vaccine on which the EU are not very keen and of which they seem to have fairly significant stocks. All very odd.

What the EU are doing is destroying their reputation as a rules based organisation for no obvious benefit whatsoever. It is truly bizarre. Are there no adults left in the room at all?

That sounds as though there's no point in UK engaging in negotiations that lead to concessions in order to stop the EU blocking it, then.

Have I misunderstood?
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

So Halix.

AIUI is not a large facility at all. This is it: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9391335/Factory-heart-EU-row-supplied-us.html
    It produced stuff which was needed when AZ was being tested. It is not approved for the manufacture of vaccine by either the EU or indeed the UK. We have apparently received some vaccine from there but its use is not yet approved in the UK either.

Which seems on the face of it to make this all rather ridiculous. The EU cannot "steal" our vaccine because it is not authorised for use. Given the lack of authorisation it is not obvious how we can use it to meet our forthcoming shortfall either. Its also a vaccine on which the EU are not very keen and of which they seem to have fairly significant stocks. All very odd.

What the EU are doing is destroying their reputation as a rules based organisation for no obvious benefit whatsoever. It is truly bizarre. Are there no adults left in the room at all?

There are destroying their reputation as a rules based organisation as the other option is to admit that the EU has screwed up the purchasing of vaccines so as the UK starts to return to normal vast parts of the EU are going to implementing their third (or even fourth) lockdown.
    But that is really my point. I don't see how vaccine from an unauthorised source not being available is going to either slow us down or speed them up. Its just pointless.
    It's not pointless if the other option is copping the blame for screwing up the purchase of vaccines to the extent that the large parts of the EU are under lockdown for another 3 months.

Given the option of saying - oops we screwed up or blaming AZ and the UK for not providing vaccines that were "promised" what else would you expect a politician to do beyond.
    I could see that if it was going to work; if they could steal enough vaccine from us to allow them to speed up their programs and end lockdown and death earlier. This won't work. At all.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    kinabalu said:

On topic. I'd say that to maximize its chances of achieving change a protest movement here in Britain needs to cause serious disruption to the status quo over a prolonged period, yet at the same time not forfeit popular sympathy and bolster support for the authorities by tipping into gratuitous violence. XR were doing ok, imo, pre pandemic.

XR wenr from being viewed as cheerful scamps articulating a valid concern to being viewed as extremist lunatics and troublemakers. I wouldn't be surprised if people are actually less sympathetic to the environmental cause as a result.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Roger said:

A rather patronising header. It all depends what the objective of the protest is. According to your analysis the 1,000,000 plus who demonstated against the Iraq invasion should have been one of the most successful ever. In fact it achieved nothing. Historically the more havoc the protesters wreak the more successful the action. Protest works when the authorities are goaded into violent counter measures.

And yet the dozens and hundreds of identitkit 'protests' with the same people, same banners, same revolutionary zeal, achieve nothing as well no matter that they seek to 'goad' the authorities. You also seem very confident that protestors weaking havoc will lead to success, when a counter reaction seems at least as likely if not more so.

Do you think someone taking a crap in front of a police officer and smashing up a police sation has made it more likely that the police will be held accountable for their actions or the government to rein in its authoritarian plans? Or will some of the people who were against the plans find it harder to sway more to their side?

I think the point about lack of success of many, nay, most peaceful protests is true, but perennial protestors who do the same shouting slogans and petty criminal damage at every protest they can latch onto don't help the causes they purport to care about. They only care about themselves, about venting their anger or pushing other aims.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2021

Good afternoon everyone.

Did I read that Labour abstained on the Sturgeon vote? SLAB obviously taking its lead from Starmer.

Don't think so, Starmer was shooting his mouth off about how Sturgeon should resign even if she had unknowingly broken the ministerial code just a few days ago.
    Sarwar has wisely decided that with the SCons being the petty, vindictive small people consumed with hatred of the EssEnnPee in the room, he might as well gain some credibility by showing a hint of pragmatic principle (or more cynically that he realised that the whole 'get Nippy' thing had turned into a clown car crash). I'm sticking with my prediction of SLab ousting the SCons as second party in May.
    Though a gloomy performance by the deputy leader of Scottish Labour on Ch4 News last night. She was asked why she was asking for Nicola's resignation before the judgement? She just mumbled about some irrelevant detail on page 457. It would never look good for political leaders-particularly female ones- to line up behind a known woman botherer. It's difficult to believe Ruth Davidson was once talked about as a potential Tory PM. She's a clown. I'd describe it as a rout by Nicola. Can she ever have looked more powerful?
  • Options
    Rising above the moral morass that is the EU
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    MattW said:

End the War on Cash !!!

Surprised to find a Corbyn so exercised about the unpopularity of Bill Cash.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    Scots Tories still don’t have any friends.
  • Options
    MattW said:

End the War on Cash !!!

Before the plague there were some swampy types that often protested in the centre of Manchester, targeting the banks.

Apparently the war on cash is to keep the elites richer and with the abolition of cash it allows the state to keep their eyes on you.

Amusingly they were pro Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

On topic. I'd say that to maximize its chances of achieving change a protest movement here in Britain needs to cause serious disruption to the status quo over a prolonged period, yet at the same time not forfeit popular sympathy and bolster support for the authorities by tipping into gratuitous violence. XR were doing ok, imo, pre pandemic.

XR wenr from being viewed as cheerful scamps articulating a valid concern to being viewed as extremist lunatics and troublemakers. I wouldn't be surprised if people are actually less sympathetic to the environmental cause as a result.
    I'm not convinced they've crossed over so completely for everyone just yet. They were certainly very successful in grabbing attention and being persistent and even getting some action taken, in some local areas certainly. In some areas they still are. But there is a danger and they are closer to the line than they were.
  • Options
    Breaking: The Duke of Sussex has joined Silicon Valley startup BetterUp as its chief impact officer, the company told CNN Business on Tuesday. A spokesperson for Harry also confirmed the prince's new role.

BetterUp provides coaching and mental health services to clients. The company's website lists Harry as part of its leadership team, describing him as a "humanitarian, military veteran, mental wellness advocate, and environmentalist."
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    TimT said:

Endillion said:

All very sensible stuff. It just strikes me how much easier it is to recall unsuccessful protests than successful ones. Are there some good recent examples of how following these principles can "change a government’s intended actions or leads it to do something it might not otherwise have done"?

I can think of, off the top of my head, Joanna Lumley and justice for Ghurkas, and (arguably) the fuel tax protests. Maybe a select few of the strike actions, like the firefighters' one.

Foxhunting, the Iraq War, anti-Brexit - I would say all of those had huge support and followed all those rules, more-or-less. All failed totally.

Your reference to Joanna Lumley and the Ghurkas suggests another item for Cyclefree's list - a cause which is not selfish, but is for either the greater good, or for the good of someone other than the protester - a group that is unable to represent itself fairly. Protests on behalf of children, or the mentally handicapped, etc... would fall into this category too.
    Possibly; that's a more charitable view of the world than mine. I was wondering if it hinted to the need to have your campaign fronted by a National Treasure (TM).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    kle4 said:

All of this could be solved with one phone call between Biden, Kamala, Boris and Angela. It must be sorted, and it will be. I think intellectual paralysis has afflicted our continental friends, but it will pass.

I think the idea it could be solved with a phone call is flawed, because it isn't a personality issue that is causing this, nor is it one solved with a quick decision those personalities could resolve. The pressure on the EU side is broader than that, pushing on all the leaders, so Merkel cannot simply fix it. Indeed, she seems to have been a big part of letting things get to this point, by action or inaction.
    We'll see ;)
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Stocky said:

Excellent article:

"This is perhaps the most uncomfortable aspect of the new legislation: that the government isn’t just trying to control who comes into the country, but extending its control over who goes out. If other countries are accepting of visitors, for any variety of reasons, it seems a much deeper infringement on personal liberty that the UK government would stop people from leaving."
    Not having had the vaccine, I am not expecting to be allowed abroad, or in pubs or restaurants, or football matches, or even my place of work as a result.

That's my fault. I may or may not be a stupid idiot for acting like that. And at some juncture it may well occur to me I am a stupid idiot, and I will get the vaccine.

But the rest of you should be effing furious. You locked down. You got the vaccine when asked. You played ball. YO You are still in prison.

And relying on the people who put you in prison, to get you out of prison. After they reneged on a bucket of other promises.
    I still don't understand why you didn't get the vaccine when offered it? It makes no sense whatsoever.
    The clue may be in the screen name...
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

An impotent minority group, helpless bystanders as the Union rots away South as well as North of the Tweed.
  • Options

I don't think the US are going to be able to stop this pipeline.
    What right do they have to stop the pipeline? Why is it any of their business?

Of course it is disappointing that the EU wants to increase its dependence on Russian fuel and limit its freedom of maneuver vis a vis Russia going forward but that is an EU decision. America should reflect on such choices and choose its friends accordingly but they should not be seeking to bully Germany into not completing the pipeline if so minded.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,085
    edited March 2021
    Anyway, sorry, wrote this for PT. Too late. Stick it here instead. No harm.

We've seen a strong turnout by the liberty gang on PB today and it got me thinking. I’m partial to a bit of the old freedom myself so why am I not a fully paid-up member? Why do I think that although the government has been taking liberties they have not (by and large) been taking liberties?

And the answer is, because apart from on care homes (where the ‘no visits’ policy was imo inhumane) and on household mixing (did we really need micro-managing legislation for this?), I can’t see where the government has been overly gratuitous or heavy-handed. And even on the mixing, the rules were in any case not assiduously policed. I have never felt I couldn’t meet whoever I wanted to. As to the rest. WFH? Surely commonsense. Closing businesses? Had to be done to formalize the financial support. It wouldn’t have been fair to leave shops and hospitality trading with no customers. Masks and social distancing? The bread and butter of virus mitigation.

The big picture is that measures were needed to stop the NHS collapsing and the societal chaos which would have ensued. They were not excessive because the NHS did for a brief time collapse (or as near as makes no difference) in both the first wave and the second, in April last year and January this year. So the response was necessary, QED. Only covid denialists would dispute this. And our PB libertines have only the one covid denialist. The rest aren’t, although one or two have flirted with it. So what’s the beef apart from tonal trivia like “people aren’t moaning about it enough”? Where are we saying freedoms have been seriously curtailed without a clear justification?

Unless there are credible answers to this, I’m going to harbour a suspicion that what we’re seeing is essentially virtue-signalling. A way of saying, “I like freedom more than the average bear”.

Plus soon it’ll be over. The roadmap is going to be met. April 12th is just round the corner and that’s the big one for me. Shops and outdoor pubs and indoor leisure. Can’t wait. Or rather my point is I can. I can wait and I’m really looking forward to it. Then full domestic freedom by the start of summer and foreign holidays by the end of it. Brill.

I just do not feel much of a need for Steve Baker to protect me from tyranny and I don’t totally understand why others do. I'd like to understand but atm I can't.
  • Options
    German hotel owners are unhappy over an extension to measures that bizarrely bar citizens from going on vacation in their own country but allow them to travel abroad.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,218
    DavidL said:

I don't think the US are going to be able to stop this pipeline.
    What right do they have to stop the pipeline? Why is it any of their business?

Of course it is disappointing that the EU wants to increase its dependence on Russian fuel and limit its freedom of maneuver vis a vis Russia going forward but that is an EU decision. America should reflect on such choices and choose its friends accordingly but they should not be seeking to bully Germany into not completing the pipeline if so minded.
    Part of the design of the system is to bypass Eastern European countries - so Russia can then turn off gas to the "Near Abroad" without cutting off Germany etc.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

So Halix.

There are destroying their reputation as a rules based organisation as the other option is to admit that the EU has screwed up the purchasing of vaccines so as the UK starts to return to normal vast parts of the EU are going to implementing their third (or even fourth) lockdown.
    But that is really my point. I don't see how vaccine from an unauthorised source not being available is going to either slow us down or speed them up. Its just pointless.
    It's not pointless if the other option is copping the blame for screwing up the purchase of vaccines to the extent that the large parts of the EU are under lockdown for another 3 months.

Given the option of saying - oops we screwed up or blaming AZ and the UK for not providing vaccines that were "promised" what else would you expect a politician to do beyond.
    I could see that if it was going to work; if they could steal enough vaccine from us to allow them to speed up their programs and end lockdown and death earlier. This won't work. At all.
    It's not about vaccines though - it's a look, squirrel policy.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Politicans care less about policies now so it seems that they adopt most popular ideas before they get to mass protest level. Last ones in the UK to get policy change furthering their aims, probably, the anti-war demos, which did nothing about Iraq but probably held off operations in Syria.
  • Options
    Yup. All part of the short road to the inevitable diplomatic solution.
  • Options
    More potential trouble in France: French authorities are investigating the death of a 26-year-old medical student days after he received AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine, while stressing that no link has been established to the jab.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

So Halix.

That sounds as though there's no point in UK engaging in negotiations that lead to concessions in order to stop the EU blocking it, then.

Have I misunderstood?
    That was my point. One of the reasons that our government may have been somewhat insouciant about this behaviour is that it will make very little difference, if any at all. It would be different if they threatened the Pfizer deliveries of course.

I am starting to think that taking out Paris and Brussels may be an overreaction after all.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

I'd agree with that. XR dug up a wildflower meadow in Cambridge as part of the protest against the University investing in oil.

That is right -- they dug up a meadow of beautiful wildflowers in front of Trinity College.

Environmentalism should be the easiest thing in the world to build an inclusive, strong & powerful coalition around.

You just need to harness the kind of interest in nature & the planet that is evident in the viewing figures to David Attenborough's TV series -- together with the Countryside Alliance, the Campaign to Protect Rural England/Wales/Scotland, the NationalTrust, Ramblers' Associations, Angling groups, and so on.

It would perhaps be more middle-of-the-road than an XR protest. But, such a broad coalition is much more likely to effect change.

Instead, XR end up alienating people with protests on trains in East London stopping tired working-class people getting home after work.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Speak for yourself. I always saw the rank and file as option 2 and I never thought the organisers cared about the environment at all.
  • Options

Thank you for sharing another of your streams of consciousness.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

End the War on Cash !!!

Wrong. It's Pat Cash he's defending.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

You're in a bad place when Johnson occupies the moral high ground!
    LOL!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Thank you for sharing another of your streams of consciousness.
    Pleased you agree
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,387
    AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

So Halix.

Have I misunderstood?
    It has at least a couple of lines iirc - one is a 1000 litre whatever-it-is-called, and one is 250 litre one .

That may have been refitted.

EU waving an even bigger rubber stick - they seem to be gearing up to have a go at J&J.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-vaccines/eu-to-tighten-vaccine-export-rules-in-possible-blow-to-firms-backloading-supplies-source-idUSL1N2LL1P4
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

End the War on Cash !!!

I do enjoy patting cash.

Every time I go to the ATM.

It reminds me I now have money.

So I can walk side by side with him on that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

More potential trouble in France: French authorities are investigating the death of a 26-year-old medical student days after he received AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine, while stressing that no link has been established to the jab.

Off we go again... How long before another domino run of suspensions?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,086
    edited March 2021
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

So Halix.

It works only to the extent that it distracts attention, not works to the extent of correcting the earlier mistake.

Given there is loads of media coverage of the potential for vaccine trade wars, and not so much about where the EU went wrong last year, then it seems to be working (for the EU's political leaders).
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

IanB2 said:

There is nothing as contagious as a vaccine scare story.

Not even COVID.
  • Options
    MattW said:

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

So Halix.

Have I misunderstood?
    It has at least a couple of lines iirc - one is a 1000 litre whatever-it-is-called, and one is 250 litre one .

That may have been refitted.

EU waving an even bigger rubber stick - they seem to be gearing up to have a go at J&J.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-eu-vaccines/eu-to-tighten-vaccine-export-rules-in-possible-blow-to-firms-backloading-supplies-source-idUSL1N2LL1P4
    So now VDL is not channeling Trump.... she's channeling Francisco Solano López?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

We've seen a strong turnout by the liberty gang on PB today and it got me thinking. I’m partial to a bit of the old freedom myself so why am I not a fully paid-up member? Why do I think that although the government has been taking liberties they have not (by and large) been taking liberties?

And the answer is, because apart from on care homes (where the ‘no visits’ policy was imo inhumane) and on household mixing (did we really need micro-managing legislation for this?), I can’t see where the government has been overly gratuitous or heavy-handed. And even on the mixing, the rules were in any case not assiduously policed. I have never felt I couldn’t meet whoever I wanted to. As to the rest. WFH? Surely commonsense. Closing businesses? Had to be done to formalize the financial support. It wouldn’t have been fair to leave shops and hospitality trading with no customers. Masks and social distancing? The bread and butter of virus mitigation.

The big picture is that measures were needed to stop the NHS collapsing and the societal chaos which would have ensued. They were not excessive because the NHS did for a brief time collapse (or as near as makes no difference) in both the first wave and the second, in April last year and January this year. So the response was necessary, QED. Only covid denialists would dispute this. And our PB libertines have only the one covid denialist. The rest aren’t, although one or two have flirted with it. So what’s the beef apart from tonal trivia like “people aren’t moaning about it enough”? Where are we saying freedoms have been seriously curtailed without a clear justification?

Unless there are credible answers to this, I’m going to harbour a suspicion that what we’re seeing is essentially virtue-signalling. A way of saying, “I like freedom more than the average bear”.

Plus soon it’ll be over. The roadmap is going to be met. April 12th is just round the corner and that’s the big one for me. Shops and outdoor pubs and indoor leisure. Can’t wait. Or rather my point is I can. I can wait and I’m really looking forward to it. Then full domestic freedom by the start of summer and foreign holidays by the end of it. Brill.

I just do not feel much of a need for Steve Baker to protect me from tyranny and I don’t totally understand why others do. I'd like to understand but atm I can't.

I'm not sure whether you consider me a PB Libertine (like the branding BTW) but I kinda started this this morning by agreeing with Dan Hodges' tweet that it's a matter of tone. The government cannot and should not be trumpeting its (undeniable) vaccine success while simultaneously reverting to daily earnest "words of caution" that make looking forward to 12 April / 17 May / 21 June feel like the vapid, frivolous act of a cockeyed, optimistic greenhorn.

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    edited March 2021
    IanB2 said:

Breaking: The Duke of Sussex has joined Silicon Valley startup BetterUp as its chief impact officer, the company told CNN Business on Tuesday. A spokesperson for Harry also confirmed the prince's new role.

BetterUp provides coaching and mental health services to clients. The company's website lists Harry as part of its leadership team, describing him as a "humanitarian, military veteran, mental wellness advocate, and environmentalist."

I know the army love to portray themselves always giving aid etc and never about killing (at least these days) but I always find it hard to reconcile how anyone can be a military veteran and a humanitarian in the same sentence, Almost as absurd as claiming to be a police officer and an anarchist
  • Options

Judging by Chris Whitty's comments today. all we can expect from today's press conference is another giant dollop of gloom.

I hope you are bracing yourselves.

- "England's chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty says the rates of people falling ill with coronavirus is continuing to fall, and although it is "going down more slowly" this was expected, as children return to school.

He says the number of people in hospital with coronavirus has come down "rapidly".

Deaths registered after 28 days of a positive coronavirus test result have started to fall "much more rapidly", he adds."

- "New surges will meet a wall of vaccinated people".

Your definition of "gloom" and mine do seem to vary.

No here you are right Andy. Hands up. It was much more upbeat that I was expecting. They even talked about the enormous challenges ahead in terms of mental health issues and cancer backlogs.

Trouble is, you could argue that their measures in part, exacerbated those problems. I think they even sort of acknowledged that.

Is it possible to watch the briefings online (I missed it)?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    DavidL said:

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

So Halix.

Have I misunderstood?
    That was my point. One of the reasons that our government may have been somewhat insouciant about this behaviour is that it will make very little difference, if any at all. It would be different if they threatened the Pfizer deliveries of course.

I am starting to think that taking out Paris and Brussels may be an overreaction after all.
    I agree with this and add the corollary that it isn't worth the EU picking a fight over this small number of doses. If it was lots, it would be different. Principle doesn't really come into any of this. It's about perceptions of self-interest and acting accordingly.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

It's been amazing for me to learn that there are apparently a non-trivial number of people who would actually prefer a policy of UK locked down + open borders. These must be people who live in a luxury apartment in Canary Wharf and whose normal travel plans involve going to one of the London airports and flying to another country. They don't usually visit anywhere else in the UK, so this policy would be the one that suits them, and annoys them to have it replaced by no UK lockdown + closed borders, which would be preferred by the overwhelming majority of people.

False dichotomy. Locking down is a choice. Abandoning our very system of living and junking the civil liberties that go with it can only be justified in exceptional circumstances and for a short period of time, i.e. when there is a clear and present danger resulting in health services being under imminent risk of being overwhelmed. If a new virus emerges (which always could have happened and always will be a risk) then we deal with it in this limited manner as-and-when. Not by imagining what might happen. We have to start getting out of this risk-averse unprincipled mindset and giving proper weight to liberty and economic matters.
    The trouble is most of the media have been bashing the public for years with the ideas that 1p on fuel duty or VAT on Cornish pasties are apocalyptic impositions, that the public have been conditioned that nothing bad must ever happen.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

A rather patronising header. It all depends what the objective of the protest is. According to your analysis the 1,000,000 plus who demonstated against the Iraq invasion should have been one of the most successful ever. In fact it achieved nothing. Historically the more havoc the protesters wreak the more successful the action. Protest works when the authorities are goaded into violent counter measures.

And yet the dozens and hundreds of identitkit 'protests' with the same people, same banners, same revolutionary zeal, achieve nothing as well no matter that they seek to 'goad' the authorities. You also seem very confident that protestors weaking havoc will lead to success, when a counter reaction seems at least as likely if not more so.

Do you think someone taking a crap in front of a police officer and smashing up a police sation has made it more likely that the police will be held accountable for their actions or the government to rein in its authoritarian plans? Or will some of the people who were against the plans find it harder to sway more to their side?

I think the point about lack of success of many, nay, most peaceful protests is true, but perennial protestors who do the same shouting slogans and petty criminal damage at every protest they can latch onto don't help the causes they purport to care about. They only care about themselves, about venting their anger or pushing other aims.
    You are doing what cyclefree was doing. Giving her views on the behaviour of the demonstrators. I'm sure most people find burning police vans and taking a crap on a policeman's shoes undesirable but that's not what her header was about. It was about the effectiveness of the action.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

Judging by Chris Whitty's comments today. all we can expect from today's press conference is another giant dollop of gloom.

- "England's chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty says the rates of people falling ill with coronavirus is continuing to fall, and although it is "going down more slowly" this was expected, as children return to school.

He says the number of people in hospital with coronavirus has come down "rapidly".

Deaths registered after 28 days of a positive coronavirus test result have started to fall "much more rapidly", he adds."

No here you are right Andy. Hands up. It was much more upbeat that I was expecting. They even talked about the enormous challenges ahead in terms of mental health issues and cancer backlogs.

Trouble is, you could argue that their measures in part, exacerbated those problems. I think they even sort of acknowledged that.

I think that much of the criticism that comes your way on this site comes from the fact that everyone knows these measures have such effects. Its the balancing of them against the effect of not locking down that is the problem. You will doubtless point to Florida or Sweden but views differe.

There was a distinct "light at the end of the tunnel" feeling about tonight's press conference I thought.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,224
    kinabalu said:

I'd like to understand but atm I can't.

It seems so.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

You are doing what cyclefree was doing. Giving her views on the behaviour of the demonstrators. I'm sure most people find burning police vans and taking a crap on a policeman's shoes undesirable but that's not what her header was about. It was about the effectiveness of the action.
    The Bristol riot is likely to be extremely effective - at getting the Police, Crime, Sentencing, and Courts Bill through Parliament, that is.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I think that much of the criticism that comes your way on this site comes from the fact that everyone knows these measures have such effects. Its the balancing of them against the effect of not locking down that is the problem. You will doubtless point to Florida or Sweden but views differe.

There was a distinct "light at the end of the tunnel" feeling about tonight's press conference I thought.
    I just hope that we are nearly there and don't start drifting backwards on the unlocking plan. The fact that we're now more than a fortnight on from the schools reopening and there hasn't been a disaster - the case rate per 100k per week is now marginally lower than it was on March 8th - gives cause for a degree of optimism.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

There is nothing as contagious as a vaccine scare story.

Not even COVID.
    What's the R number?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    One thing i still don't get about this who vaccine export ban idea, is exactly what the EU think happens next. Because simply banning exports doesn't get them more vaccine unless the exporting company gives it to them. But they are under no obligation to do so. Even less if it is a company like Pfizer that is actually meeting the delivery targets in its EU contract.

So Pfizer (or whoever) can just sit on the vaccines produced. At which point the EU have to massively escalate even further and actually move towards forced appropriation. Which surely is a route they REALLY don't want to go down?

And then in 6 months time when the UK has become a global superpower in vaccine production - completely self sufficient and then some - and the EU are looking around for winter booster jabs, where are they going to go?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

I just hope that we are nearly there and don't start drifting backwards on the unlocking plan. The fact that we're now more than a fortnight on from the schools reopening and there hasn't been a disaster - the case rate per 100k per week is now marginally lower than it was on March 8th - gives cause for a degree of optimism.
    Things can still go very wrong but I think that today or yesterday the number of deaths dropped below the equivalent day last year and, God willing, they will never go back above.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    DougSeal said:

I think Contrarian is able to take criticism quite easily/ Most contrarians can ,given by definition almost, they are arguing a minority or at least anti establishment view. Its a lesson the cancel culture movement needs to learn that people can have views totally opposite and they need to be considered otherwise you end up with establishment groupthink (establishment having a wider meaning that just government but also including many "woke" causes )
  • Options
    Seems a bit unlikely. I can't think of too many things that would explain a 7pt swing in one month. More likely two outliers at opposite ends of the spectrum.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

One thing i still don't get about this who vaccine export ban idea, is exactly what the EU think

The whole problem has arisen because the EU *hasn’t* done any thinking.

That’s why they’re in a bad mess and carefully taking action to make matters worse.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    DougSeal said:

Exactly this.
    By the way, here’s a possibly overoptimistic prediction: the macro-effect of the vaccines decreasing R will be considerably greater than the individual effects.

That is, case transmission will fall significantly further than modelling would suggest it should when the reduction in R is modelled, but this will happen after a certain proportion of the population are dosed.

The logic is that covid has a high “k” - it’s very reliant on superspreaders (loads of people pass it on to zero or one or at most two people; the average is kept up by the occasional superspreader doing 30 or 40 or more).
    The reduction in viral load will make superspreading far harder quicker than normal spreading, and by making superspreaders fewer, it makes the necessary “joining up” of superspreaders to fuel an outbreak far far harder.

And cases crater faster than R would suggest.

It’s rather guessworky, but I think there’s a decent chance of it unfolding like that.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    DougSeal said:

Yes absolutely agreed. I might even go further. Almost an end of term feeling.
  • Options

"People falling ill with coronavirus" or "people testing positive for coronavirus"?

Aren't most of the increased cases just schoolchildren, er, getting tested?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The problem is that Scottish Labour still like to think they are fighting the Tories. Its truly bizarre displacement activity. It doesn't matter how many times the SNP smash them to the 4 winds, take all their seats, take all their Councils, replace all their chums and placemen in the broader state, they still want to go on about fighting the Tories.

I have had leaflets in Dundee West, even at the last election, saying vote Labour to stop the Tories. The SNP majority in that seat is now over 12k. Labour have been annihilated and yet will still not engage with their true foe. Abstaining today when SKS has already called for Sturgeon to go is simply typical. Its pathological and, frankly, insane.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Seems a bit unlikely. I can't think of too many things that would explain a 7pt swing in one month. More likely two outliers at opposite ends of the spectrum.
    It is comparing its April 2020 poll (Cons at 46 Labour at 29) to today

• Options
    Can somebody explain why Starmer is far closer to Johnson in popularity in NW than in the Midlands?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

It's not in one month, look at what it is compared to
  • Options
    alex_ said:

No foreign holidays hinting / the absurd "commemmeration "today of anyone dying in the UK in the last year (people are just not in the mood for more doom and gloom meaningless gestures)
  • Options

DougSeal said:

A reminder that most secondaries only started back properly at the start of last week, and indeed some only fully reopened yesterday.

But you are right, so far so encouraging.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

I have a similar feeling because I am one of the XX million people who is next week going to be taking the last opportunity to use up my 2020 rolled over vacation.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,349
    Why the DSMB got riled up by the AZN press release.
    https://twitter.com/biosbenk/status/1374400705247604745
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363

kinabalu said:

I'm not sure whether you consider me a PB Libertine (like the branding BTW) but I kinda started this this morning by agreeing with Dan Hodges' tweet that it's a matter of tone. The government cannot and should not be trumpeting its (undeniable) vaccine success while simultaneously reverting to daily earnest "words of caution" that make looking forward to 12 April / 17 May / 21 June feel like the vapid, frivolous act of a cockeyed, optimistic greenhorn.

Fully agree. And @kinabalu, you can't say it wasn't enforced: there were dozens and dozens of stories of the police not only enforcing the rules(old lady in Gloucestershire having a cup of tea-gate) but alsi enforcing rules which didn't exist (having a coffee counts as a picnic). But even if they hadn't, 'just ignore the rules' doesn't work, because we are, by and large, a law-abiding bunch. I couldn't see my parents not because they were afraid of being caught but because they follow rules. My kids couldn't play with their friends not because their friends' parents thought there was any risk but because they follow the rules. The stories about the rule breakers obscure just how rule-fillowing the Britush tend to be, even if we think the rules are stupid .
    I take your point about the impact on businesses had it all been advisory though.
    Tge ibkt reason it's fallen to Steve baker to make thesr points is that no one else will.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Oh right - misread it! What's the point of that!!!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Janet Yellen is talking about US corporation tax going up to 28%
    https://twitter.com/DailyFXTeam/status/1374424162144448519
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    Hmm. I wonder if all this talk of vaccine standoffs and trade wars is reflecting as badly on Boris's Brexit as it is on the EU. He promised us a golden age but it's looking decidedly naff at present. As with Sunny Jim all those years ago, perhaps a beaming personality starts to grate when the cold wind blows.
  • Options

Can somebody explain why Starmer is far closer to Johnson in popularity in NW than in the Midlands?

Is this a supposition derived from digging about in the cross-tabs of an opinion poll? Not necessarily the most reliable metric; however, if we make the assumption that it's correct then the best explanation can be obtained from looking at the map after the 2019 GE and seeing where Labour's remaining bases of strength are. QED.
  • Options

Hmm. I wonder if all this talk of vaccine standoffs and trade wars is reflecting as badly on Boris's Brexit as it is on the EU. He promised us a golden age but it's looking decidedly naff at present. As with Sunny Jim all those years ago, perhaps a beaming personality starts to grate when the cold wind blows.
    The detail makes interesting reading but overall Boris beats Starmer and the red wall seats are still pro Boris
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Fully agree. And @kinabalu, you can't say it wasn't enforced: there were dozens and dozens of stories of the police not only enforcing the rules(old lady in Gloucestershire having a cup of tea-gate) but alsi enforcing rules which didn't exist (having a coffee counts as a picnic). But even if they hadn't, 'just ignore the rules' doesn't work, because we are, by and large, a law-abiding bunch. I couldn't see my parents not because they were afraid of being caught but because they follow rules. My kids couldn't play with their friends not because their friends' parents thought there was any risk but because they follow the rules. The stories about the rule breakers obscure just how rule-fillowing the Britush tend to be, even if we think the rules are stupid .
    I take your point about the impact on businesses had it all been advisory though.
    Tge ibkt reason it's fallen to Steve baker to make thesr points is that no one else will.
    yes there is a lot of truth in that - people follow things because they are the rules - At an individual level it is kinda cute (although I try and never follow an instruction unless I agree with it ) but it becomes ugly when neighbours grass up other neighbours like we have seen this year with the disgusting hotline priti patel championed. The film Jo JO Rabbit has a lot of this culture in it - the mother of the boy refusing to follow the law because she disagrees with it (not overtly but inwardly and not public ) , the boy being a massive Hitler fan at the start and gradually being won over by his own humanity
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

What I would like to know is why the police did not give them a good doing, what were the dogs for, horses, tazers , etc. They should have got stuck in about them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

UK vaccinations

One thing about NI, its population is young compared to rUK
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Nigelb said:

I think this has been a chastening experience for AZ wrt vaccines. A lot to learn for them.
  • Options

Is this a supposition derived from digging about in the cross-tabs of an opinion poll? Not necessarily the most reliable metric; however, if we make the assumption that it's correct then the best explanation can be obtained from looking at the map after the 2019 GE and seeing where Labour's remaining bases of strength are. QED.
    It was quoted in the Independent article that goes with the poll, no idea if they're looking at the crosstabs or not mate.

Hope you are well BTW.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Oh right - misread it! What's the point of that!!!
    Maybe that was their most recent poll? :lol:
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Nigelb said:

Astrazeneca do seem to have a problem with their stakeholder management...
  • Options
    The Tories need to find something else to talk about other than Brexit, it will be interesting to see if this assumption proves correct or not in Hartlepool.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

DougSeal said:

What difference will a couple of weeks or a month make. Key is to make sure it is totally safe and not have to go through it again.
  • Options
    OK so as mentioned, I am off next week using up 2020 holidays. Can't, however, effing go anywhere (certainly not to Aix, say).

So what am I going to do? Long lunches on my own don't somehow seem as indulgent or luxurious.

And no one please say learn Greek.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Exactly this.
    By the way, here’s a possibly overoptimistic prediction: the macro-effect of the vaccines decreasing R will be considerably greater than the individual effects.

That is, case transmission will fall significantly further than modelling would suggest it should when the reduction in R is modelled, but this will happen after a certain proportion of the population are dosed.

The logic is that covid has a high “k” - it’s very reliant on superspreaders (loads of people pass it on to zero or one or at most two people; the average is kept up by the occasional superspreader doing 30 or 40 or more).
    The reduction in viral load will make superspreading far harder quicker than normal spreading, and by making superspreaders fewer, it makes the necessary “joining up” of superspreaders to fuel an outbreak far far harder.

And cases crater faster than R would suggest.

It’s rather guessworky, but I think there’s a decent chance of it unfolding like that.
    There is some evidence of this in Israel I think.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe AZ have decided they've had enough of this whole vaccine (produced at cost) lark and are quite happy to only go where they're wanted!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

What difference will a couple of weeks or a month make. Key is to make sure it is totally safe and not have to go through it again.
    It's never going to be totally safe, Malc.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

kle4 said:

Roger said:

What I would like to know is why the police did not give them a good doing, what were the dogs for, horses, tazers , etc. They should have got stuck in about them.
    Avon and Somerset have just been on to explain that they would have given them a good going over but you’ve taken all their turnips to hurl at Nicola Sturgeon, John Swinney and that idiot at Justice.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe AZ have decided they've had enough of this whole vaccine (produced at cost) lark and are quite happy to only go where they're wanted!
    I bet working out the cost price of their vaccine is a cost accountants wet dream! Boring his colleagues with overhead absorption, marginal activity based costing
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

The problem is that Scottish Labour still like to think they are fighting the Tories. Its truly bizarre displacement activity. It doesn't matter how many times the SNP smash them to the 4 winds, take all their seats, take all their Councils, replace all their chums and placemen in the broader state, they still want to go on about fighting the Tories.

I have had leaflets in Dundee West, even at the last election, saying vote Labour to stop the Tories. The SNP majority in that seat is now over 12k. Labour have been annihilated and yet will still not engage with their true foe. Abstaining today when SKS has already called for Sturgeon to go is simply typical. Its pathological and, frankly, insane.
    If Labour had done as Starmer asked the vote today would have been 58 v 65
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

OK so as mentioned, I am off next week using up 2020 holidays. Can't, however, effing go anywhere (certainly not to Aix, say).

So what am I going to do? Long lunches on my own don't somehow seem as indulgent or luxurious.

And no one please say learn Greek.

Go stealth camping like Steve Wallis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ7F3xpGFfo
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,085

kinabalu said:

Ah ok. Well I just screen all that chuntering out. This is nearly over now. Mine's a double voddy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

Scottish Labour learned the hard way, the price of associating with toxic Tories
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,387

Andy_JS said:

Does anyone know what this is all about?

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1374400918548934667

If they target the US or US companies they have gone mad.
    Proposals to tighten up the EU export control regime to weekly not quarterly periods.

J&J are planning to backload their EU deliveries for Q2, and ED bods are not very happy.

Looks a little bit like another misunderstood contract.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

End the War on Cash !!!

Maybe he hated the way Pat Cash clambered up Wimbledon Centre Court to embrace his folks after winning in 1987?
  • Options
    I see Matt Goodwin has not posted this poll yet, he'll be waiting on another poll to come out that shows a larger Tory lead.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

It's never going to be totally safe, Malc.
    With most of the 50+ vaccinated, there must be a serious argument for implementing the "Barrington Declaration" plan of locking everyone up 70+ and letting everyone else get it as rapidly as possible. With added bonus that you don't have to lock up the 70+ (because they're vaccinated), you get to "lockup" the 50+ chucked in!

We could be wasting time here by delaying release from lockdown...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

I have a similar feeling because I am one of the XX million people who is next week going to be taking the last opportunity to use up my 2020 rolled over vacation.
    LOL me too. Hopes of an early end to it all dashed and two days of what the f8ck am I going to do with this.
This discussion has been closed.