Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi still favourite to be next PM though not as strong a one as he was – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited March 2021

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Council tax bill has come in £2556.48, a 3.7% increase.

Jesus. Mine is £2,778.31 a 4.8% increase.

This issue will start becoming political again soon, methinks.
    What band are you
    Band E.
    Christ on a bike, thought my band E was bad.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

tlg86 said:

Welsh and Scottish people display a level of antipathy to the English flag that is not reciprocated by the English.

Only 44% of Welsh people and 30% of Scottish people hold a favourable view of someone flying the English flag. By contrast, 56-57% of English people have a favourable view of someone flying the Scottish or Welsh flag.
    Quelle fucking surprise.

This was inevitable but baked into the roadmap.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1372905229843374082

We shall see. An excuse to backtrack on April 12th may well yet be found.
    The dates were stated as 'at earliest' when announced. I hope the timetable doesn't slip, but its better that it does rather than have a more radical backtracking later.

• Options

Well well well.

Priti Patel wanted police to stop people gathering at Sarah Everard vigil

Exclusive: some police chiefs feel ‘hung out to dry’ as memo reveals home secretary’s enforcement call

For a few hours at least last Sunday, the Metropolitan police and their embattled commissioner appeared on the brink. Assailed from all sides over their handling of the Sarah Everard vigil on Clapham Common, there seemed every chance Dame Cressida Dick would have to quit the force she has been in charge of since 2017.

Instead she survived, as the Home Office and then Downing Street eventually signalled they retained confidence in her, despite the disturbing scenes of her officers manhandling women.

But the support she received from the home secretary, Priti Patel, raised questions about what role, if any, Patel played behind the scenes before the vigil on Saturday evening. A memo leaked to the Guardian offers some clues.

On Friday as the police and the vigil’s organisers were heading to court over the legality of such an event, a message was sent to all police chiefs making Patel’s position clear. She wanted them to stop people gathering at vigils. She also promised she would personally urge people not to gather – but she never did.

Though the police are operationally independent, the home secretary had made her views clear, which made her criticisms of the way officers broke up the Clapham event particularly galling, according to some police chiefs who spoke to the Guardian.

As a result, some chiefs feel policing was “hung out to dry” when Patel criticised pictures of officers manhandling women at the vigil, rebuked the Met commissioner and ordered an inquiry.

One chief constable said the message from Patel and the government before the vigil had been clear, that a ban on gatherings had to be enforced.

Tensions are now running high between police and ministers.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/19/priti-patel-wanted-police-stop-people-gathering-sarah-everard-vigil?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

you just dont lik her because shes from an Asian background
    Fake news.

I don't like her because she's a terrible human being and a disgraced national security risk.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,130
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Fun with flags time, kids.

What is this one behind Mr Grimes?

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1372854107585839110

It's the 'Canzuk' shield but the red stars of the NZ Southern Cross appear to have been slightly bleached by DG's tears.
    A sneaky nod to White Power? Or less viscerally, the "chaps we can trust"?
    You're a strange one.

Do you think the European Union is a nod to White Power?

Do you think CANZUK has more, less or similar level of "whiteness" to the European Union?
    You're being too reductive and literal. These mindsets don't work like that. You have to ask why somebody like Grimes is flying the CANZUK shield. I'm sure you don't (do you?) so WTF is he and ilk doing it? I suggest it's for similar reasons that people in the States fly the Dixie flag. This is not to advertise a desire to refight the Civil War. It's to show support for a set of values. A set of values that encompass a high degree of nostalgia for a bygone age and the old ways. A set of values that in many cases are at the very least tinged with racism. It could be, I'm musing here but at the same time it's a little more than musing, that the CANZUK shield is becoming our version of the Confederate flag for our version of those Americans who choose to fly it. In which case, good, because it is a "tell". It's better to know than to not know.
    Kinabalu, the Sinfinder General. Pricking the victims, to see if they bleed. Drooling as they strip
    It's simply that I lack the peculiar mindset required to assume that anything short of KKK white sheets and hanging trees is not racist. And I note no substantive counter-argument yet offered by anybody as to why somebody like Darren Grimes would be flying this flag. He's from Durham.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Amazing achievement. Almost 1% of the population. Previous highest was 598,000 I think.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Well well well.

Exclusive: some police chiefs feel ‘hung out to dry’ as memo reveals home secretary’s enforcement call

For a few hours at least last Sunday, the Metropolitan police and their embattled commissioner appeared on the brink. Assailed from all sides over their handling of the Sarah Everard vigil on Clapham Common, there seemed every chance Dame Cressida Dick would have to quit the force she has been in charge of since 2017.

Instead she survived, as the Home Office and then Downing Street eventually signalled they retained confidence in her, despite the disturbing scenes of her officers manhandling women.

But the support she received from the home secretary, Priti Patel, raised questions about what role, if any, Patel played behind the scenes before the vigil on Saturday evening. A memo leaked to the Guardian offers some clues.

On Friday as the police and the vigil’s organisers were heading to court over the legality of such an event, a message was sent to all police chiefs making Patel’s position clear. She wanted them to stop people gathering at vigils. She also promised she would personally urge people not to gather – but she never did.

Though the police are operationally independent, the home secretary had made her views clear, which made her criticisms of the way officers broke up the Clapham event particularly galling, according to some police chiefs who spoke to the Guardian.

As a result, some chiefs feel policing was “hung out to dry” when Patel criticised pictures of officers manhandling women at the vigil, rebuked the Met commissioner and ordered an inquiry.

One chief constable said the message from Patel and the government before the vigil had been clear, that a ban on gatherings had to be enforced.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/19/priti-patel-wanted-police-stop-people-gathering-sarah-everard-vigil?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Fake news.

I don't like her because she's a terrible human being and a disgraced national security risk.
    so was Osborne yet he was your pop idol
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Below 1 when we've just opened schools and the % vaccinated is only going to rise. I'll absolutely take that.
    Factor in there's a stronger variant than 12 months ago and lockdown isn't being observed as strictly as 12 months ago then it's an excellent place to be all things considered.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    DavidL said:

One of them was my wife. Very efficient and no ill effects at all she said from her second head.
    In which head did she have the CVST?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

It's the 'Canzuk' shield but the red stars of the NZ Southern Cross appear to have been slightly bleached by DG's tears.
    You're a strange one.

Do you think CANZUK has more, less or similar level of "whiteness" to the European Union?
    You're being too reductive and literal. These mindsets don't work like that. You have to ask why somebody like Grimes is flying the CANZUK shield. I'm sure you don't (do you?) so WTF is he and ilk doing it? I suggest it's for similar reasons that people in the States fly the Dixie flag. This is not to advertise a desire to refight the Civil War. It's to show support for a set of values. A set of values that encompass a high degree of nostalgia for a bygone age and the old ways. A set of values that in many cases are at the very least tinged with racism. It could be, I'm musing here but at the same time it's a little more than musing, that the CANZUK shield is becoming our version of the Confederate flag for our version of those Americans who choose to fly it. In which case, good, because it is a "tell". It's better to know than to not know.
    Q: Why are you calling Darren Grimes a racist?
    A: Because he's flying the CANZUK flag.
    Q: Why is that racist?
    A: Because racists fly that flag.
    Q: Racists like who?
    A: Darren Grimes.

See also: St George's cross, the Union Jack.
    Welcome to the warped world of Kinabalu. Start from a set of pre-determined views and then twist the evidence to fit them.
    Feel free to actually think about the issue at hand.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Thumping! We were already doing a record 0.68 per 100 per day before this, so this'll take us in the stratosphere.

Calling @IanB2 :wink:
  • Options

Well well well.

Fake news.

Well he wasn't, but you need to move on, George Osborne CH hasn't been Chancellor for nearly five years and an MP for nearly four years.

It'll be good for your soul.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Kinabalu, the Sinfinder General. Pricking the victims, to see if they bleed. Drooling as they strip
    It's simply that I lack the peculiar mindset required to assume that anything short of KKK white sheets and hanging trees is not racist. And I note no substantive counter-argument yet offered by anybody as to why somebody like Darren Grimes would be flying this flag. He's from Durham.
    I literally gave you the reason. 🤦‍♂️

It is a campaign to get a free trade and free movement (but no political union) agreement between the 4 countries named.

Flying that is the same as flying the EU flag, it is symbolising your support for that project. What part of that are you struggling to understand?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

Well well well.

you just dont like her because shes from an Asian background
    The only person I consider to be more authoritarian - and therefore least suited to be Home Secretary - than Patel is the awful excuse for a human being Theresa May.

Such people should not be allowed within a million miles of positions of authority because they lack the basic ability to empathise.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Amazing achievement. Almost 1% of the population. Previous highest was 598,000 I think.
    At what point does the UK second dose figure start to rank #1 in EU + UK and Keating has to find another statistic to prove that the EU is better?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,944
    tlg86 said:

Welsh and Scottish people display a level of antipathy to the English flag that is not reciprocated by the English.

Only 44% of Welsh people and 30% of Scottish people hold a favourable view of someone flying the English flag. By contrast, 56-57% of English people have a favourable view of someone flying the Scottish or Welsh flag.

'Three in ten Labour voters (31%) and four in ten Lib Dem voters (42%) have an unfavourable view of someone flying the England flag. Among Conservative voters this figure is only 16%.

Likewise, 26% of Labour voters and 30% of Lib Dem voters have an unfavourable view of someone flying the Union Jack, compared to just 12% of Conservative voters.'
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Why would half the members of the Labour Party be flying the Palestinian flag when they're from Islington?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Quelle fucking surprise.

The dates were stated as 'at earliest' when announced. I hope the timetable doesn't slip, but its better that it does rather than have a more radical backtracking later.

Depends how much it slips by. If it's "not now but in two weeks' time" then that's vastly better then "not now, not telling you when." Although that said I'm in full-on cynic mode about all these timetables and milestones. I won't believe any of them are going to be met until it actually happens.
  • Options
    Here you go @kinabalu maybe educate yourself before you assume others are racist just because you're unaware of what they mean: https://www.canzukinternational.com/
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Welcome to the warped world of Kinabalu. Start from a set of pre-determined views and then twist the evidence to fit them.
    Feel free to actually think about the issue at hand.
    I do. You can't.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Well well well.

Fake news.

Well he wasn't, but you need to move on, George Osborne CH hasn't been Chancellor for nearly five years and an MP for nearly four years.

It'll be good for your soul.
    No its just good remembering how we dodged the bullet.
  • Options
    LOL. That is a bollocks poll! So you go to some blokes's house and see he's got the flag of St George billowing from the roof - and OVER HALF of people say they APPROVE of that?

Come off it. You get out of there pronto, wondering what's down in the cellar.

No, that's people not answering honestly for fear of coming over as snobby and judgemental.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    TimT said:

DavidL said:

One of them was my wife. Very efficient and no ill effects at all she said from her second head.
    In which head did she have the CVST?
    Actually neither but she had an unfair advantage. When she had her op on Tuesday they offered her a blood thinning injection afterwards and she thought that might be handy. Unfortunately the nurse gave it to her before they removed the needle from her hand, which proved messy.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,399
    kinabalu said:

LOL. That is a bollocks poll! So you go to some blokes's house and see he's got the flag of St George billowing from the roof - and OVER HALF of people say they APPROVE of that?

No, that's people not answering honestly for fear of coming over as snobby and judgemental.
    Tricky one, though. Many people may think as you do, but then think some more and, well, do they want to diss the Queen?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440
    edited March 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

The Confederate flag is literally linked with a doomed Civil War to try to maintain slavery.

The flags of Canada, the UK, New Zealand and Australia are not whatsoever.

You are making up your own strawmen.
    There's not enough meaty racism left in the Britain for an insatiable disapprover of people like our Kinabula - sadly he came to it too late. Short of inventing a time machine whereby he can return to a time of the National Front and 'No blacks' signs in boarding houses, he must be content with 'tells' to convince him of how thoroughly wicked most other people are.
    Just because you don't want to see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Our little nationalists are going to grow under an enabling government and certain insignia will be used to unite against the other. What's more appealing to those with specific tendencies than a union of the Anglophone, the old colonies and the populace of Empire deemed to be people like us.

Fortunately for the Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders they get a say this time and we know they are not supportive.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Are you sure you're not Emily Thornberry stuck in 2014?

My parents used to do this during the World Cup, and while it's not something I would do, I wouldn't prejudge someone based on that alone.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kinabalu said:

Whereas you are happy to be seen as such
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Church of England joins culture war. Tories laughing all the way to the 2024 GE.

https://twitter.com/Fox_Claire/status/1372849050857451522

How can this be? When Colston and the docklands dude were tipped in the drink, some PBers raised the alarm, and suggested iconoclasm was generally bad, tended to get out of hand, and history was being erased. Those anxieties were loudly shouted down by lefties who asked: has any other statue toppled? No, so it will end here, stop fretting

And yet, on and on it goes. It has not stopped
    It's interesting that this report specifically references the toppling of the Colston statue as if that was somehow representative of the mood of the nation and desired by Black people in particular, to which the CoE must respond.

Of course it isn't, as polling shows, but it will be boosted - again - when Rhodes falls at Oriel, which is precisely why the Left does it.
    There are now more Anglicans in Nigeria than England, this is just reflecting that and removing statues linked to slavery.

65% of BAME voters backed removing the Colston statue (though half of those disapproved of the way it was done), compared to 53% of voters as a whole who backed taking down the Colston statuehttps://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/06/26/nine-ten-bame-britons-think-racism-exists-same-lev
    In the most recent test of public opinion amongst ethnic minorities by “Hope Not Hate” (dated August 2020) (https://www.hopenothate.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/BAME-report-2020-08-v3-00000003.pdf) around two-thirds supported the removal of statues of slavers but a very wide majority of 60% to 15% felt it was a distraction from the substantive issue of race equality.

A majority of ethnic minorities also agreed that the statues debate represented "political correctness" going too far by 52% to 22%.

As Sunder Katwala has said this shows “a concern to differentiate between the most egregious examples and a sweeping 'year zero' idea of interrogating every historical figure by contemporary standards”; “views of ethnic minority Britons could be summed up as one of frustration that these polarising culture wars misrepresent and trivialise ethnic minority concerns about race equality.”

The CoE seems to have decided to go for the year zero approach in response. It's wrong.
    It isn't, just move statues of slavers to museums
    You haven't read or understood the CofE report, nor have you understood the poll listed above, or what it means, and you're now trying to change the subject.

That's ok. That's what you do - we all know that - and, of course, it's entirely pointless to engage you on discussion on it, so I won't.
    No I have understood it.

The poll you linked to yourself suggested most ethnic minorities wanted statues of slavers removed, which is what the CofE is doing.

A future black Archbishop of Canterbury could be the next step which would be fine
    You missed (a) that they said it was a distraction from race equality and (b) that they said it represents political correctness going too far. As Sunder says they want to differentiate between the most egregious examples and a year zero approach, because that'd be a polarising distraction. The CoE report points to far more of the latter.

I supported Sentamu for Archbishop of Canterbury so yes, it would be - why wouldn't it? - but I did so because I thought he'd be the best man for the job.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

You better not come to my home during The Ashes or World Cup then.

Maybe over half the country are rational and not hate-filled closed-minded bigots like yourself.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kinabalu said:

And that is why your political analysis is just so much GIGO!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

The Confederate flag is literally linked with a doomed Civil War to try to maintain slavery.

There's not enough meaty racism left in the Britain for an insatiable disapprover of people like our Kinabula - sadly he came to it too late. Short of inventing a time machine whereby he can return to a time of the National Front and 'No blacks' signs in boarding houses, he must be content with 'tells' to convince him of how thoroughly wicked most other people are.
    Just because you don't want to see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Our little nationalists are going to grow under an enabling government and certain insignia will be used to unite against the other. What's more appealing to those with specific tendencies than a union of the Anglophone, the old colonies and the populace of Empire deemed to be people like us.

Fortunately for the Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders they get a say this time and we know they are not supportive.
    https://twitter.com/PhilipYip3/status/1104921552146124801?s=20
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Comedy Dave has finally realised that the EU have made some mistakes in this rather long thread. TL;DR - Mean US & UK prioritized their own citizens. Poor, trusting EU was naive.

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1372897635577761803
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Oh really?

Actually they are supportive and trade talks are already underway. The Conservative Party of Canada and other parties and politicians across the four countries have endorsed the project - and all four countries are undergoing official trade talks right now.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

The percentage of non-white people will almost certainly be higher in Australia, NZ, UK and Canada compared to the EU. In NZ 17% of the population are Maori for example.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    kinabalu said:

You must distinguish between patriotic flag shagging (very, very good) and nationalist flag shagging (very, very bad). A very, very easy distinction to make apparently.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Church of England joins culture war. Tories laughing all the way to the 2024 GE.

How can this be? When Colston and the docklands dude were tipped in the drink, some PBers raised the alarm, and suggested iconoclasm was generally bad, tended to get out of hand, and history was being erased. Those anxieties were loudly shouted down by lefties who asked: has any other statue toppled? No, so it will end here, stop fretting

It's interesting that this report specifically references the toppling of the Colston statue as if that was somehow representative of the mood of the nation and desired by Black people in particular, to which the CoE must respond.

Of course it isn't, as polling shows, but it will be boosted - again - when Rhodes falls at Oriel, which is precisely why the Left does it.
    There are now more Anglicans in Nigeria than England, this is just reflecting that and removing statues linked to slavery.

65% of BAME voters backed removing the Colston statue (though half of those disapproved of the way it was done), compared to 53% of voters as a whole who backed taking down the Colston statuehttps://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/06/26/nine-ten-bame-britons-think-racism-exists-same-lev
    In the most recent test of public opinion amongst ethnic minorities by “Hope Not Hate” (dated August 2020) (https://www.hopenothate.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/BAME-report-2020-08-v3-00000003.pdf) around two-thirds supported the removal of statues of slavers but a very wide majority of 60% to 15% felt it was a distraction from the substantive issue of race equality.

A majority of ethnic minorities also agreed that the statues debate represented "political correctness" going too far by 52% to 22%.

As Sunder Katwala has said this shows “a concern to differentiate between the most egregious examples and a sweeping 'year zero' idea of interrogating every historical figure by contemporary standards”; “views of ethnic minority Britons could be summed up as one of frustration that these polarising culture wars misrepresent and trivialise ethnic minority concerns about race equality.”

The CoE seems to have decided to go for the year zero approach in response. It's wrong.
    You haven't read or understood the CofE report, nor have you understood the poll listed above, or what it means, and you're now trying to change the subject.

That's ok. That's what you do - we all know that - and, of course, it's entirely pointless to engage you on discussion on it, so I won't.
    No I have understood it.

The poll you linked to yourself suggested most ethnic minorities wanted statues of slavers removed, which is what the CofE is doing.

A future black Archbishop of Canterbury could be the next step which would be fine
    You missed (a) that they said it was a distraction from race equality and (b) that they said it represents political correctness going too far. As Sunder says they want to differentiate between the most egregious examples and a year zero approach, because that'd be a polarising distraction. The CoE report points to far more of the latter.

I supported Sentamu for Archbishop of Canterbury so yes, it would be - why wouldn't it? - but I did so because I thought he'd be the best man for the job.
    The fact they want race equality as well does not change the fact most of them still wanted to remove statues of slavers.

They only said the statues debate was PC gone too far on a general level eg Churchill's statue for instance, they still supported removing slavers statues overall
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

No I have understood it.

Quite. A fine man. And I would imagine high up in his order of business would be to gut the CofE of its parasitical manager class that comes up with utter twaddle like this statues report.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Quelle fucking surprise.

Precisely nobody I know is paying any heed to the "at the earliest" garbage.

The roadmap is already extremely conservative.

It must be adhered to.
  • Options

Well well well.

That should be enough to lose her her job. It probably won't but it should do.

It doesn't remove criticism of the police for the way they behaved but she should have been honest that she was in agreement with them rejecting compromise rather than pretending it had nothing to do with her. It makes those who were calling for Kahn's look pretty foolish. (and for the record I wouldn't vote for Khan in a million years)
    Why would she lose her job? What has she done?
    She told the police they should stop people gathering
    She told the police she would speak out publicly not to gather - and didn't
    She criticised the police for stopping people gathering
    She told the police they have her full support

It doesn't matter that she is a scheming cow happy to throw people under the bus for her own smirking self-advancement. This isn't remotely the worst thing she has done and gotten away with. She is untouchable.

This though is the context through which I view Tory calls for Sturgeon to resign. As Patel doesn't even consider her position why should nippy?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    French PM does get his AstraZeneca jab.
    https://twitter.com/CNEWS/status/1372909619366989824
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RobD said:

So let me get this straight, the vaccine that is only 'quasi-effective' for the oldies can now only be used exclusively for the oldies. Macron, you are a complete tool.

I think you meant to say "self taught expert"

• Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Oh really?

Actually they are supportive and trade talks are already underway. The Conservative Party of Canada and other parties and politicians across the four countries have endorsed the project - and all four countries are undergoing official trade talks right now.
    Actions peak louder than words no?

Australia rejects visa-free immigration deal with UK
    https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6119925706001

A trade deal is not a promise of EU style freedom of movement.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited March 2021

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I don't know what they have decided, as no one has seen the full report yet. Since a huge number of these statues will be listed, it may well be mainly educational notices or paragraphs in the church guide.

I don't think even the Church's own planning system can move listed parts of buildings with a Max Bygraves "Just Like That". It can be subject to Judicial Review.

My concern is that the whole thing is a one-eyed view of slavery, and I don't think the CofE should agree to be gaslit.

We can be sure that Simon Jenkins will have kittens several weeks in a row.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Oh really?

Last time I went to Oz, it was a short online form followed by putting my passport into a machine for 15 seconds at the airport.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Quelle fucking surprise.

It must be adhered to.
    Nonetheless the dates were announced as such.

(Personally I think it's entirely reasonable to allow slippage if needed, and sensible to have announced the plan as they did.)
  • Options

Well well well.

It doesn't remove criticism of the police for the way they behaved but she should have been honest that she was in agreement with them rejecting compromise rather than pretending it had nothing to do with her. It makes those who were calling for Kahn's look pretty foolish. (and for the record I wouldn't vote for Khan in a million years)

It doesn't matter that she is a scheming cow happy to throw people under the bus for her own smirking self-advancement. This isn't remotely the worst thing she has done and gotten away with. She is untouchable.

This though is the context through which I view Tory calls for Sturgeon to resign. As Patel doesn't even consider her position why should nippy?
    I think Sturgeon should go as well. She has tried to destroy a man's reputation in the most vile manner. And I say that as someone who was, until last year, a big fan of Sturgeon even if is disagreed with some of her policies. I am hugely disappointed that she has lived down to the reputation of all politicians.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Ok its popular but will it happen? The Australian government seem pretty keen to keep Brits at arms length.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    kinabalu said:

You might be correct Mrs Thornberry
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Ok its popular but will it happen? The Australian government seem pretty keen to keep Brits at arms length.
    Given how many end up going there it doesn't seem to be that effective!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Oh really?

Free movement doesn't need to be EU-style, there are other ways of having free movement.

From your own link "changes to work rights would be proposed and accepted on both sides but not full free movement" - so it depends what changes are accepted.

Australia and New Zealand already have a free movement agreement between themselves but it is not full EU style free movement. There are many flaws in the EU free movement scheme that don't exist in the Aus/NZ one and if a future agreement was close to the Aus/NZ one that would be a good thing.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

Well well well.

I think Sturgeon should go as well. She has tried to destroy a man's reputation in the most vile manner. And I say that as someone who was, until last year, a big fan of Sturgeon even if is disagreed with some of her policies. I am hugely disappointed that she has lived down to the reputation of all politicians.
    If trying to destroy a mans reputation is the bar. Most of the PLP would be off
  • Options
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Oh really?

Last time I went to Oz, it was a short online form followed by putting my passport into a machine for 15 seconds at the airport.
    To travel yes but you were not treated as a citizen of Australia nor have the freedom to live, work and retire in the lucky country.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

They are? Then why are they, as per your own link, saying that "changes to work rights would be proposed and accepted on both sides"?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

The main reason it won't happen is that the population of Britain would drop like Lithuania in the noughties.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

tlg86 said:

Quelle fucking surprise.

It must be adhered to.
    Nonetheless the dates were announced as such.

(Personally I think it's entirely reasonable to allow slippage if needed, and sensible to have announced the plan as they did.)
    It is already extremely conservative. Any slippage will be a disaster for the hospitality industry, which is already gearing up for those launch dates. Of course, many on PB will be happy to see it slide.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

You're not the deepest of thinkers on this topic, though, are you? Somebody would need to be sat on a Union Jack sofa, wearing a "Jim Davidson: The White Riot Tour" tee-shirt, and watching endless reruns of Love Thy Neighbour before your antenna would pick up the faintest signal. And even then ...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Oh really?

Free movement doesn't need to be EU-style, there are other ways of having free movement.

From your own link "changes to work rights would be proposed and accepted on both sides but not full free movement" - so it depends what changes are accepted.

Australia and New Zealand already have a free movement agreement between themselves but it is not full EU style free movement. There are many flaws in the EU free movement scheme that don't exist in the Aus/NZ one and if a future agreement was close to the Aus/NZ one that would be a good thing.
    And as much as the world cares I'd be very happy with a close a deal as possible and I was wrong about the popularity of it.

But, this is not the thrust of what I was arguing before. That a minority in the UK see the flag and are not using it for the principle of closer union but division at home.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Going to be SADDDDDD when we go back down to 300-400k a day in a few weeks....when we know the infrastructure and systems are in place to efficiently do double that.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    I see the EU are coming over here winning our races at Cheltenham

They appear to hold all the cards
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Why not show just a little intellectual curiosity about why people do what they do? It won't bring you out in a rash, I promise.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

At what point does the UK second dose figure start to rank #1 in EU + UK and Keating has to find another statistic to prove that the EU is better?
    This is vs EU average.

So maybe a new graph needed around end of March.

• Options
    I presume comedy dave has given up with the alister haimes type charts showing the EU winning....
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    One of the big consistent takeaways I repeatedly hear about the vaccination system is just how quick, efficient and well organized it....which isn't the universal experience of normally going to the GPs or NHS appointments.

Its seamless to book a vaccinantion slot, something that can't be said about GP visit for many.

Hopefully lessons can learned across the system and wider across other customer facing public sector.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    HYUFD said:
    Unionist vote realising it had to coalesce around Labour to beat the SNP.....
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited March 2021
    MattW said:

I don't know what they have decided, as no one has seen the full report yet.
    Haven't they?

Last year the church set up a ‘taskforce’ whose resulting report (‘From Lament to Action: Report of the Archbishops’ Anti-Racism Taskforce’) is due before the Archbishops’ Council next week. Happily, a copy found its way into my hands first... 'The BLM movement and in particular the dumping of the Colston statue in Bristol docks shed new light and brought needed urgency to the C of E’s consideration of its own contested heritage.’ The report makes it clear that the church is going to have to bring down monuments and statues that disturb the modern mind, for ‘Our churches should be welcoming spaces for all and we must deal with any part of the church building that may cause pain or offence’.

We'll see how accurate that summary may be shortly, but 'The report makes it clear that the church is going to have to bring down monuments and statues' is pretty categorical...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Why not show just a little intellectual curiosity about why people do what they do? It won't bring you out in a rash, I promise.
    Remember that Darren Grimes' chair has 4 legs.

And there are 4 arms on a Swastika.

He must be a real Nazi.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Going to be SADDDDDD when we go back down to 300-400k a day in a few weeks....when we know the infrastructure and systems are in place to efficiently do double that.
    They always have been. Supply has always been the biggest constraint. If the UK hadn't much such efforts to secure our supply chain then we would probably be in a similar position to the EU. I suspect though even if we had we would have distributed it better than them and certainly not have encouraged anti-vaccers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    MattW said:

TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

This is vs EU average.

So maybe a new graph needed around end of March.

The Drakeford surge.
  • Options

Cookie said:

What is interesting about the Tories going after Paul Williams with his daft tweets of eons ago is that they didn't feel the need to bother before.

In 2017 they were so assured of victory in Stockton South that Where's Wharton spent the whole campaign elsewhere (so no change to normal). And in 2019 with Paul Williams conceding verbally to Matt Vickers in early in the campaign, they were happy to campaign on daft videos of local boy Matt Vickers where he went to school, had his first fight, threw up his first parmo etc.

This time? Gloves off. Destroy Paul Williams, remove any chance of party loyalty holding the seat, keep Labour voters at home. Though the suggestion that he is a misogynist is utterly laughable...

I don't really see anything wrong with Paul Williams' tweet - I didn't really pick up at first that this was a hit job. A little coarse, perhaps, and not something I'd necessarily put my name to in an entirely public forum, but still - my first thought was to genuinely consider the question. Anyone here claim never to have considered the question of which from a set of people of the opposite sex is most attractive? I suppose the constantly offended who I understand make up the Hartlepool Labour Party might object, though whether to the objectification, the use of the word 'milf' or the suggestion that a Tory might be attractive is hard to say.
    It's beyond ridiculous confected outrage, yet again. I mean, look at PB. Many Tories on here admit to fancying Labour MPs – Lisa Nandy, Rosena Allin-Khan, Liz Kendall etc etc. So what? Sexual attraction isn't bounded by politics. I mean many people have wives/husbands who vote the opposite way. I had a staffer who was dyed-in-the-wool Labour who objectified Jeremy Hunt. A leftie primary school teacher friend fancies Boris.

Who cares?
    Loads of female Labour MPs are fit. Those are great picks (although Liz Kendall isn't quite my type) and Gloria de Piero, Stella Creasey and Luciana Berger? Gorgeous. And I liked Caroline Flint. Even Angela Rayner can have something about her, as can Sarah Champion.

However, I can't imagine it'd be much fun dating them. So earnest and serious, and you'd be treading on eggshells the whole time whilst waiting to receive lectures about patriarchy and transgenderism.

Ugh.
    Very odd post. The last para, I mean.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

The main reason it won't happen is that the population of Britain would drop like Lithuania in the noughties.
    So would New Zealand's to be fair, Australia's would probably double overnight.

Though it might reduce the pressure here for new housing
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Oh really?

And as much as the world cares I'd be very happy with a close a deal as possible and I was wrong about the popularity of it.

But, this is not the thrust of what I was arguing before. That a minority in the UK see the flag and are not using it for the principle of closer union but division at home.
    I don't think anyone is using it for division because few people even know what it means. Its been designed as a symbol of friendship and unity between countries so you and @kinabalu trying to turn it into a symbol of division is just bitter.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

They always have been. Supply has always been the biggest constraint. If the UK hadn't much such efforts to secure our supply chain then we would probably be in a similar position to the EU. I suspect though even if we had we would have distributed it better than them and certainly not have encouraged anti-vaccers.
    Yes we know this, but to see the supply appear for a week or two, seeing it actually been done consistently, then back down to half that is psychologically worse.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Thinking of Zoom. Everyone I know now hates it. I don’t know anyone that ‘likes’ it. Fam and friends have all stopped using it. Unpopular on here as well.

The hatred (which I share) is disproportionate. It’s just a video call app. I wonder if Zoom has become the lightning rod for all our loathing and despair about lockdown? It is the true emblem of lockdown

If so, short Zoom

Teams is preferable in almost every way.

AND TEAMS SUCKS !!!
    Video calls are extremely useful in some areas. School had a parents evening for my older daughter last week, all done on video, very sensible, much easier than the chaos of traipsing round a school with 1000 other parents.

Also doctor’s appointments. Video. You’re sick. Why go into the GP and spread your weary germs. Why didn’t we do video calls before?

But group video calls for socialising and chatting with friends and fam? Never again. Ugh
    A lot of lonely people rely on things like visiting their doctor to actually meet someone in person. If you stop those things, they wouldn't have contact with anyone. Sad fact of life.
    Indeed. Everyone should have the option, is what I suggest. My mum's visits to docs and hospitals are basically her social life, apart from family. She'd genuinely miss them
    That's very sad. I hope you're exaggerating a tad.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

HYUFD said:
    Unionist vote realising it had to coalesce around Labour to beat the SNP.....
    Yes encouraging as the Tories got the Unionist vote in Helensburgh and gained the seat there so tactical voting clear again

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1372915784205369347?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Although both Aus and NZ are having problems with their inflated housing markets. If you can't buy in the UK you can't buy in the antipodean.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited March 2021
    Time arrest and imprison Toby Young & Lockdown sceptics, they peddling dangerous bullshit that would make Macron proud.

https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1372921159084343309
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Helensburgh and Lomond South (Argyll & Bute) first preferences:

CON: 50.7% (+11.7)
    SNP: 23.6% (+5.8)
    LDEM: 14.0% (-8.1)
    LAB: 5.6% (-2.9)
    GRN: 5.2% (+5.2)
    WORK: 0.9% (+0.9)

Seat change:
    Conservative GAIN from Liberal Democrat.

LDem elected under STV in 2017.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

AlistairM said:

Comedy Dave has finally realised that the EU have made some mistakes in this rather long thread. TL;DR - Mean US & UK prioritized their own citizens. Poor, trusting EU was naive.

Why do I get the feeling that this Keating twitter thread leads inexorably to the final conclusion that what the EU did wrong was being too lovely and too kind to the evil Brits and that they really should have practiced tough love and bombed London.
    Yes. It's just the latest version of a fabricated narrative, pulling together what he happens currently to have noticed.

On this one he hasn't realised yet that the USA has announced exports to Canada and Mexico, so here he says:

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1372897671053213699
  • Options

One of the big consistent takeaways I repeatedly hear about the vaccination system is just how quick, efficient and well organized it....which isn't the universal experience of normally going to the GPs or NHS appointments.

Its seamless to book a vaccinantion slot, something that can't be said about GP visit for many.

Hopefully lessons can learned across the system and wider across other customer facing public sector.

That was my experience, and the same for everyone I have spoken to about it.

Makes me think the Army must have been involved somewhere but I don't know.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

That was my experience, and the same for everyone I have spoken to about it.

Makes me think the Army must have been involved somewhere but I don't know.
    It's a simple IT project thrown at people who know what they are doing.

Create a system that allows x slots to be booked on this date at these locations - it really is a very easy task to do.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited March 2021
    About half of Tories went to Labour. 3% went to SNP.

The Tory first round was much down (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/former-glasgow-tory-councillor-disqualified-23299511), so not a complete picture.

The SNP got a similar proportion of Scottish Green votes. Labour got 30% which I find a little surprising, although that includes some LD/CON voters which the Greens had picked up.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Although both Aus and NZ are having problems with their inflated housing markets. If you can't buy in the UK you can't buy in the antipodean.
    Plenty of UK home owners would move to Australia, better weather and higher average salaries, not just those without home ownership who might actually find homes here more affordable if the population in the UK falls and there is less demand
  • Options

AlistairM said:

Yes we know this, but to see the supply appear for a week or two, seeing it actually been done consistently, then back down to half that is psychologically worse.
    I am not at all sure I agree with that. Seeing jabs in arms numbers go up and down as a sign that doses are being used as soon as they are available is to me very reassuring. Holding on to some jabs to smooth out the flow would not be reassuring at all - just a transparent ploy.

In any flow process there is a rate-limiting step. Most people intuitively understand this. And they understand that it is far, far better that this rate limiting step is production rather than anything else downstream.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Thinking of Zoom. Everyone I know now hates it. I don’t know anyone that ‘likes’ it. Fam and friends have all stopped using it. Unpopular on here as well.

The hatred (which I share) is disproportionate. It’s just a video call app. I wonder if Zoom has become the lightning rod for all our loathing and despair about lockdown? It is the true emblem of lockdown

If so, short Zoom

Teams is preferable in almost every way.

AND TEAMS SUCKS !!!
    Video calls are extremely useful in some areas. School had a parents evening for my older daughter last week, all done on video, very sensible, much easier than the chaos of traipsing round a school with 1000 other parents.

Also doctor’s appointments. Video. You’re sick. Why go into the GP and spread your weary germs. Why didn’t we do video calls before?

But group video calls for socialising and chatting with friends and fam? Never again. Ugh
    A lot of lonely people rely on things like visiting their doctor to actually meet someone in person. If you stop those things, they wouldn't have contact with anyone. Sad fact of life.
    Indeed. Everyone should have the option, is what I suggest. My mum's visits to docs and hospitals are basically her social life, apart from family. She'd genuinely miss them
    That's very sad. I hope you're exaggerating a tad.
    I suspect that's fairly common as most conversations now are almost about what aliments people have - the we saw abc while doing x and def while doing Y doesn't exist.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    In case there was any doubt about Delingpole's lunacy:

https://twitter.com/JamesDelingpole/status/1372923088220913671?s=20
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,863
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

I'll talk you through it.

Some people think the UK would have more power and say in the world if we were in a union with like-minded countries. I imagine you are one of them, except for you it is the EU

For many eurosceptics, the EU is deeply sub-optimal because all the countries are too different (Bulgaria with Greece with Finland with Ireland?) it takes too much sovereignty, is way too bureaucratic, it can never be truly democratic, things like the euro are huge problems, and it is generally quite shit at doing important stuff, such as vaccines during a global plague

These people think Britain would be better off in a different, looser union with countries culturally more similar to us, who have a similar standard of living, the obvious examples around the globe are Oz, Canada, NZ, with whom we ALREADY share: a language, common law, a monarchy, and parliamentary systems - that is why they are culturally similar.

That's it. It's got fuck all to do with race, except in your tiny, feverish, witch-hunting brain
  • Options
    The whole BBC flag stuff, reminds me when Emily Thornberry dug herself a hole over similar incident.
  • Options
    MattW said:

AlistairM said:

Why do I get the feeling that this Keating twitter thread leads inexorably to the final conclusion that what the EU did wrong was being too lovely and too kind to the evil Brits and that they really should have practiced tough love and bombed London.
    Yes. It's just the latest version of a fabricated narrative, pulling together what he happens currently to have noticed.

On this one he hasn't realised yet that the USA has announced exports to Canada and Mexico, so here he says:

He has - the US are allowing AZ vaccines to be exported but not Pfizer ones.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sandpit said:

Well, that was most unexpected. Went to drop wifey at the vaccine centre and they invited me in too. 10 mins later and I’m sitting in the exit waiting room. Good times, thanks Pfizer and BioNTech. 💉

The sand pit is having a very impressive vaccine roll out, really not far behind Israel. Maybe that's a motivating factor...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're a strange one.

Have you gone crazy?

Oh really?

I don't think anyone is using it for division because few people even know what it means. Its been designed as a symbol of friendship and unity between countries so you and @kinabalu trying to turn it into a symbol of division is just bitter.
    The CANZAC crest Grimes is using does not appear to be on the organisation that's fronting the project
    https://www.canzukinternational.com

on the wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANZUK

This seems to be the most popular but I'm not sure
    https://external-preview.redd.it/rIHxo1aKxO3xJgsLjLv7uuJjp6zRNBKeU64apEgG1Mc.png?auto=webp&s=b14720a2a21659166dd1ab519b447c8bc88281bd

It like you say is not well known.

It just looks like and I'm exposing my prejudice, a useful little crusader style insignia. One that could be stapled to the brim of a hat, pinned to armband or for the fanatical tattooed on a bicep.
  • Options
    eek said:

MattW said:

AlistairM said:

He has - the US are allowing AZ vaccines to be exported but not Pfizer ones.
    But it is still a selective narrative, implying that only the EU is exporting vaccines, whereas the US is about to start on a large scale.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

A devastating report from Compass exposes the near-impossibility of Labour winning alone at the next election. We divide, they conquer, by Grace Barnett and Neal Lawson, shows Labour now needs at least a 10.52% swing, greater than in 1945 and 1997.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/18/labour-electoral-system-priti-patel-mayoral-elections

I see that report is repeating tired old canards about progressive alliances and changing the voting system.

When is Labour going to actually engage with the electorate as it is to, you know, win votes?
    I will get round to finishing the header I'm working on, but Hartlepool will likely add to Labour's woes on just how and where to fight the next election. Essentially, if you say the Tories and Labour are each going to put resources into 100 seats, the Tories can put that into 80 on defence and 20 on offence. Labour has to put it into 100 on attack - and even then, they have to leapfrog some of their low-hanging fruit and go for medium-difficult targets. And unless fortunes change dramatically for the SNP, it won't be in Scotland.

Labour has to hope that the political tide goes so far in their favour that it swamps the Tory defences.

Or accept that they will not win power in less than 2 attempts.
    Hartlepool coming into play is absolutely fascinating but it's unlikely to damage Labour. The balance of risk is the other way. It's Brexit Central, stuffed full of white working class patriots, each and every one of them imbued with love of country and good old-fashioned commonsense, and the timing could not be better for the government. Brexit is done and looking inspired due to the EU vaccine shambles. By contrast our own vaccine efforts are paying off in spades, motoring us out of lockdown before other countries, liberties taken about to be restored. If the Tories, the party of hard leave, can't win in Hartlepool, the capital of hard leave, at this time, in these circumstances, it will be telling us the tide is turning and opposition beckons before too long. They need to win it (and convincingly) to retain control of the narrative. By this analysis, which imo is the right one, the pressure is all on them. It's something of a free hit for Labour.
    Nice try. But an opposition party losing a seat to the governing party is still rarer than rocking-horse shit.

But if another dozen Red Wall Labour MPs would like to resign to give Labour some "free hits" - they know where the Chiltern Hundreds are....
    Sure, but this is a very particular scenario and the result has potentially huge ramifications for where our domestic politics is heading.

If Labour win here, the most Brexity of seats, so soon after Brexit and with it looking to the untrained eye to be a great decision, it will mean Europe is losing its salience as an issue driving votes and that by the time of the next GE it will barely feature. Plus Corbyn has gone, remember, and will be a distant memory by then. Labour now has a leader that, dull or not, most people can envisage as PM. This hasn't happened since 2010.

It will leave just one of the 3 key factors from the "BBC" election of Dec 19 still in play. "Boris". Can he carry that load? Can this political magician do it again, even after 5 years in power and with the economy in the toilet? I yield to no-one in my recognition of his powers, the guy's a vote magnet in the places that count, but I'm not so sure he can.

So that's the big story. A Labour win. If the Cons take it, it's a shrug and business as usual.
    Total bollocks. If Starmer can’t win back a northern, traditionally Labour seat like Hartlepool, after seven zillion years of Tory government, then his leadership is in trouble. Simply the case. People won’t just ‘shrug’.

Yes there are complicating factors that make it somewhat harder. But, he should still win it

FWIW I think Labour will succeed
    This is the traditional analysis but it's no longer applicable in the new politics forged by the 2016 EU Referendum and its aftermath. If the Tories can't win here, a triumphant Brexit just pocketed, they are losing their grip on what won them their GE majority - their consolidation and ownership of the Leave political identity, transcending class. Which means big trouble for them, since they offer little else except the "Boris" act. If Labour win this seat in May, Starmer will not quite be measuring up the curtains for number 10, but he will be immensely heartened, trust me.
    Lol. Holding one of their own seats 11 years into Opposition that even Corbyn managed not to lose would be 'immensely heartening'? How Labour's ambitions have been etiolated by defeat - I remember when they used to be a national party. Now they're barely a regional one...
    I've explained why I'm viewing it the way I am. We have a new politics now. The Cons have merged with Leave and they need to retain ownership of it. If they don't it's hard to see where they go. What are the Cons without Leave? That's a rhetorical question because I know you can't answer it. Nobody can. They'll still be "Boris", yes, but that's no basis for the future. Imagine having your fortunes dependent on him. Talk about precarious. No, tough times ahead for the party, methinks, if they lose their Leave USP. Like the GOP without MAGA, they'll be faced with a long and arduous rebuilding process from the bottom up.
    The Tories were in almost exactly the same position in 2008 as Labour is now - out of power for 11 years straight, only 198 seats to their name. What would you have said then if the Tories - instead of seizing Labour seats like Crewe and Nantwich, which they did - had desperately tried to spin retaining one of their own heartland seats as a victory? It would have been laughable then, and it's laughable now.
    But 2008 was ye olde world. Before the EU referendum transformed the landscape. We need a new way to analyse things now. Look, I could be wrong, but I'm perfectly serious. If Labour win Hartlepool in May, per how I'm reading the political runes, it bodes ill for the Tories. I'm not seeking to pollute the thread with partisan spin. I'm being my usual 'objective to a fault' self. If you try the same you'll see I have a great point. And btw it's not a prediction. My money is on the Cons winning Hartlepool. £50 at evens. And I have big money on Cons largest party at the next GE at 1.8.
This discussion has been closed.