Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Opinion polls and local elections – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    A British expert, Prof Sir Munir Pirmohamed, chair of the Commission on Human Medicines, said even if a link between CVST and the shot was found, it was unlikely the UK vaccination campaign would be halted since the incidence rate was so low.

Guardian blog
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Leon said:

Secondly, what's odd about the BBC response isn't the sneering at the flag, it's the sheer stupidity. Have they never seen a Government department building before? Have they never been to a police station, countil building etc., and seen that more often than not there's a picture of the Queen? I mean it would be nice if they didn't hate the country that pays their wages, but I'd settle at this point for them to have two brain cells to rub together.

I've never seen a picture of the Queen on the wall in any building, no. I'd think it was weird, even if it was a police station.

Just odd.

Not that it justifies a sneering attitude but it is very old fashioned.
    You've never been in a court room? Or any building along Whitehall? Or any kind of military building? You've avoided the inns of court, formal council offices, many police stations, every single British Embassy, every office of the British Council, so you actually live underground? It would explain much
    Well, he didn't know before, now he does, every day is a school day on PB.

Glad he doesn't still think Robert Jenrick and Matt Hancock view the Queen as a sex symbol, or a valid item of home decor. There's enough to slate them both about without that.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,048
    sarissa said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Can anyone convince me to persevere with either Ratched or Bates Motel.

Trying to find something serious to watch, ideally which doesn't involve a rotting corpse unearthed in the first five minutes.

There does seem to be something of a lack of good TV recently. but it's great that we can now all dig up the best of past years. I really don't watch TV much at all, but over lockdown I've watched all the 'all creatures great and small' series. Not great, but a decent comfort-blanket type watch.

I've been mulling 'I Claudius' as my next thing, but I can't decide weather to re-read the books or watch the TV series. (My 2nd favourite TV series, only beaten by 'The Wire')

The BBC still does do a lot of good things - not complaining.
    Yes - that is a great one. The old one. There is only one Siegfried and that is Robert Hardy.

The Wire #1 for me also (although then in no particular order Sopranos, West Wing, Breaking Bad, The Americans, Black Mirror then, also in no particular order Fargo (the series), the Good Wife, Succession, Better Call Saul).

Was thinking of trying The Shield and/or Homicide: Life on the Streets?
    The latter was a major step forward in its genre.
    Also a few people involved in Homicide: Life on the Streets also had a hand in The Wire I think?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Leon said:

Secondly, what's odd about the BBC response isn't the sneering at the flag, it's the sheer stupidity. Have they never seen a Government department building before? Have they never been to a police station, countil building etc., and seen that more often than not there's a picture of the Queen? I mean it would be nice if they didn't hate the country that pays their wages, but I'd settle at this point for them to have two brain cells to rub together.

I've never seen a picture of the Queen on the wall in any building, no. I'd think it was weird, even if it was a police station.

Just odd.

You've never been in a court room? Or any building along Whitehall? Or any kind of military building? You've avoided the inns of court, formal council offices, many police stations, every single British Embassy, every office of the British Council, so you actually live underground? It would explain much

Glad he doesn't still think Robert Jenrick and Matt Hancock view the Queen as a sex symbol, or a valid item of home decor. There's enough to slate them both about without that.
    I don't know why you guys are taking my comment as a personal insult.

I said it didn't justify a sneering attitude.

I just said it was a bit weird and old fashioned.

I think you'll find that a majority of the population would at least notice it as interesting at the very least. It just isn't a normal thing to see in everyday life.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Great strike to bring the 100 up. This is going to be close either way I suspect.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    MaxPB said:

Reason not to panic about case data and the rise in the R value we've got coming:

Cases in adults are still falling WoW, cases in kids are growing but that is down to the huge increase in testing IMO rather than actually increasing cases.

I would expect there to be some real rise in kids with Covid over the next couple of weeks, simple because there's going to be a lot more social mixing.

I doubt it will lead to any increase in hospitalisation rates, however, which is the key thing.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Trying to find something serious to watch, ideally which doesn't involve a rotting corpse unearthed in the first five minutes.

There does seem to be something of a lack of good TV recently. but it's great that we can now all dig up the best of past years. I really don't watch TV much at all, but over lockdown I've watched all the 'all creatures great and small' series. Not great, but a decent comfort-blanket type watch.

I've been mulling 'I Claudius' as my next thing, but I can't decide weather to re-read the books or watch the TV series. (My 2nd favourite TV series, only beaten by 'The Wire')

Yes - that is a great one. The old one. There is only one Siegfried and that is Robert Hardy.

The Wire #1 for me also (although then in no particular order Sopranos, West Wing, Breaking Bad, The Americans, Black Mirror then, also in no particular order Fargo (the series), the Good Wife, Succession, Better Call Saul).

Don't know many of those. Quite a lot of my favourites are quite old, and I only discovered in retrospect - I Claudius for example I recall as a child, but didn't appreciate. The Pallisers, March of Eagles, Barchester Chronicles, Tinker Tailor, etc.

Then come the likes of Breaking Bad and the West Wing - not sure I will ever plan to rewatch them though.

The Wire I re-watch every 4 or 5 years, much as I re-read the novels of Patrick O'Brian (which takes a while!).

Do you mean 'Fall of Eagles'? About Hapsburgs and so on. Absolutely fantastic. Michael Horden narrating. Never be made now - material far too difficult and non PC for today's viewers.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    edited March 2021
    UK local R

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,081

Leon said:

Just odd.

I would imagine many normal law abiding people have never been in any of those.
    People with pathetic, pinched little lives, you mean. I have been in all of these places. British Embassies abroad are fascinating, they are often quite spectacular and/or historic, and worth a trip in themselves

The British Embassy in Moscow (I believe it is now the UK ambassador's residence) is an example. Glorious interiors

http://my-moscow.org/english-embassy-residence-neo-gothic-building/
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    edited March 2021

RobD said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's the fine now for laughing at flags?

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1372547615200579591?s=20

That's really pretty bad. Make a joke, sure, yay, sense of humour.

But one, it just isn't funny, it's odd.

And, two, the sneering tone? And the woman sneering at the picture of the Queen? And the nervous sneering chortles in the studio.

Fuck the BBC.

Every time something like this happens, the BBC dies a bit more. It is determined to drive itself over a cliff.
    It is a bit weird though. What kind of person has a picture of the Queen on the wall?
    He's not at home, he's in an office (in Whitehall?). I imagine loads of government offices have flags and pix of the Queen, it's normal.

It is also normal for politicians to appear with the flag behind them, in all nations. Sturgeon does it all the time, note. The EU has about 300 flags and motifs in every shot. France, America, they all do it.

But the one that gets sneered at is the Union Jack. They would never sneer at any other, least of all, perhaps, a Scottish or Welsh flag.

It is vastly trivial, but it is one more tiny brick in the tomb the BBC is hastily building for itself.
    I'm also struck by the assumption that everyone shares their views - that anyone watching the BBC would find it laughably gauche to be associated with the union flag and/or the queen. I can imagine how you might put a case that it is. But you wouldn't expect a national broadcaster to necessarily expect its audience to start from that point of view.
    Exactly. It is a brief moment, yet it is one of the purest examples of metropolitan sneering and London bubblethink that I've seen.

The BBC forgets that it is mainly watched by the middle aged and the old in the provinces. A conservative audience. It has already been abandoned by the young and urban.

So it does its best to alienate the dwindling viewers it still has? Genius.

Leaving aside the flag debate, BBC critics tend to overstate the absence of the younger audience. It's declined, but still 2.5 hours a week in the 18-34 age group, with 56% of young viewers watching it at some time during the week. (For comparison, the 55+ age group are 13 hours and 92%). iplayer watching (which in my circle is the preferred mechanism for younger people) has gone through the roof at 3.5 billion, or a programme a week for everyone in Britain of any age, including infants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48840138#:~:text=There is no question that,by 16-34 year olds.
    It's still a huge drop tho. When I were a lad the whole family watched the BBC, and we watched LOTS. 3 hours a day on average? Even in my 20s I watched 1-2 hours a day, average, I'd guess. Some days none but other days many hours - especially sports, news, documentaries and comedy

This probably did not change until the internet really kicked in. Now my consumption is minimal. I don't listen to BBC radio, I have largely stopped using the BBC website as it is so dumbed down

I watch quite lot of other TV. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, some Sky (sports mainly), Youtube.

But overall my TV consumption is down, in all forms, and the BBC is the most reduced.

Well I am right of centre, but I think (and have mentioned it before) that ministers having Union flags in their study or sitting room is just ridiculous. As a patriot I would say it is very un-British. I wish they would stop. By all means have them in press centres, but their study? ffs! Let people from banana republics wrap themselves in flags (and English and Scottish nationalists if they must), but British ministers need to be a bit more grown up. The breakfast presenter (Charlie State?) just said what a number of us think. I am not from the "metropolitan elite", far from it. Well done Charlie.
    No comment on the EU teleconferences where there seems to be a competition amongst the participants about who can have the most EU flags in their office/study?
    If I recall correctly you are not a great fan of the EU, so it is perhaps surprising you think that we should follow their lead on this. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I was brought up with the notion that if you are confident of something you didn't feel the need to "wear it on your sleeve".
    No, I just find it funny those that complain about seeing the UK flag don't give two hoots about others doing the same.
    Not all of us. I don't like flags, whether they're British, Scottish, French or whatever. Symbols of nationalism, and to be used sparingly.
    (I make an exception for the Red Flag, of course :)).
    Sparingly yes, but when they just disappear in the world of a pedantic modest civic establishment flags get taken up by lunatics instead; so at the moment the centrist establishment, Tory and Labour, is reclaiming the flag from extremist nutters; (and, like Nicola, they also have voters to please).

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

Just odd.

I don't know why you guys are taking my comment as a personal insult.

I said it didn't justify a sneering attitude.

I just said it was a bit weird and old fashioned.

I think you'll find that a majority of the population would at least notice it as interesting at the very least. It just isn't a normal thing to see in everyday life.
    Wasn't aware I was taking it as anything. Genuinely glad to have been of help.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

A British expert, Prof Sir Munir Pirmohamed, chair of the Commission on Human Medicines, said even if a link between CVST and the shot was found, it was unlikely the UK vaccination campaign would be halted since the incidence rate was so low.

Guardian blog

Yes, as my wife pointed out - there is a known causal link between the contraceptive pill and blood clotting and that's got full approval in basically every country. As she said to me, the double standards being applied are ridiculous because the pill is a "women's issue" these serious side effects don't bother anyone but because the vaccine may be linked with a few deaths in men suddenly the whole programme needs to be halted an investigated.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

People with pathetic, pinched little lives, you mean. I have been in all of these places. British Embassies abroad are fascinating, they are often quite spectacular and/or historic, and worth a trip in themselves

The British Embassy in Moscow (I believe it is now the UK ambassador's residence) is an example. Glorious interiors

What a very metropolitan elitist thing to say...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Great strike to bring the 100 up. This is going to be close either way I suspect.

Too many dot balls.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Don't know many of those. Quite a lot of my favourites are quite old, and I only discovered in retrospect - I Claudius for example I recall as a child, but didn't appreciate. The Pallisers, March of Eagles, Barchester Chronicles, Tinker Tailor, etc.

Then come the likes of Breaking Bad and the West Wing - not sure I will ever plan to rewatch them though.

The Wire I re-watch every 4 or 5 years, much as I re-read the novels of Patrick O'Brian (which takes a while!).

I started rewatching the West Wing as my 13 year old daughter thinks it's amazing. (She's friends with the daughter of one of the actors, which may also play a role...)

I must admit, it's held up better than I thought it would. (Disclaimer: only on series one.)
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, I'm getting tired of all these shows that feature extreme violence dished out to young women. It's becoming a cliche.

The Investigation was a recent scandi series (based on the submarine case) that took a whole new tack. It was done purely from the viewpoint of the police and the family of the victim. It never showed the murder. And it never showed the perp. In fact the perp was not even named. There was no exploitative glorification of the crime or the criminal (like you so often get, e.g. The Serpent). It was a celebration of the victim and of the low key, dogged policework which eventually got the result.

Very refreshing and original. Still tense. Still fascinating. Did not need all the 'formula' stuff.
    I haven't found a really good new TV series for months. The Bug has put a pause, maybe even a stop, on TV's Golden Age

At the moment I am just about getting by with Barbaren, a German series about the Roman occupation of Teutonia. It's like Vikings or The Last Kingdom, but in German and ... not as good. But it's definitely watchable
    Ted Lasso is brilliant - very uplifting and positive (much needed in these COVID times). Highly recommended. Gets better as it goes too.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/12/bring-ted-lasso-energy-into-your-life

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10986410/
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,421

Leon said:

glw said:

Leon said:

A monumental error, that has probably already killed people, and will carry on killing people, as antivaxxery persists, or even grows, thanks to this moronic blunder

Will anyone resign? Will anyone even say Oops, sorry - to their own people, and to the other, sane parts of the world?

On the radio the other day there was a Doctor representing the "German Intensive Care Doctors Union", something like that, he estimated the pause would cause hundreds of deaths in Germany alone. Just the pause mind, not the vaccine hesitancy and refusal that will inevitably result from the panic.
    I reckon tens of thousands around the world will now refuse the AZ jab. The "suspension" has been global news, and now millions of people associate AZ with "death by blood clot"

That means, yes, thousands will die, who would have lived. That's how bad it is. And not a single person will resign
    Mini Trump will even get comfortably re-elected.
    Unsatisfactory incumbents will win if the main alternative is obviously unsuitable. See United Kingdom, 2019.

Which leads to a question which now bugs me- when was the last time the UK had an election between two plausible PMs-in-waiting? Two people you can imagine on the steps of No 10? without sniggering? Maybe Cameron-MiliEd, though I'm not sure. Brown was substantial but broken by the time 2010 came round. Howard and Hague weren't realistic contenders. Major was a husk by 1997, Kinnock wasn't ever going to make it to Downing Street, I don't know about Callaghan... and then you're back to the long tussle between Wilson and Heath.

This may be a problem, and I don't know the solution.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Ominous for India now that both gingers are finding their groove
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Going to an Embassy would be a waste of time for most normal people.

Maybe for a travel writer that would be an interesting place to visit, but for anyone reasonable not going to the embassy in your limited time abroad is not pathetic.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Reason not to panic about case data and the rise in the R value we've got coming:

Cases in adults are still falling WoW, cases in kids are growing but that is down to the huge increase in testing IMO rather than actually increasing cases.

I would expect there to be some real rise in kids with Covid over the next couple of weeks, simple because there's going to be a lot more social mixing.

I doubt it will lead to any increase in hospitalisation rates, however, which is the key thing.
    Yes, of course. I think my point is more that the current rise in cases is almost certainly due to the gigantic increases in testing we've got. We've probably gone from a detection rate of maybe 40-50% in kids to probably something like 80% in just a few days.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, I'm getting tired of all these shows that feature extreme violence dished out to young women. It's becoming a cliche.

The Investigation was a recent scandi series (based on the submarine case) that took a whole new tack. It was done purely from the viewpoint of the police and the family of the victim. It never showed the murder. And it never showed the perp. In fact the perp was not even named. There was no exploitative glorification of the crime or the criminal (like you so often get, e.g. The Serpent). It was a celebration of the victim and of the low key, dogged policework which eventually got the result.

Very refreshing and original. Still tense. Still fascinating. Did not need all the 'formula' stuff.
    I haven't found a really good new TV series for months. The Bug has put a pause, maybe even a stop, on TV's Golden Age

At the moment I am just about getting by with Barbaren, a German series about the Roman occupation of Teutonia. It's like Vikings or The Last Kingdom, but in German and ... not as good. But it's definitely watchable
    You have watched Succession, right?

Simply the best TV show in years.

Next month Shadow & Bone is coming on Netflix, and - as (a) the books were excellent and (b) it's already been renewed for a second season - I think we can be fairly it'll be worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJYYd_RnJc&ab_channel=Netflix
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Have I ever denied I am a proud member of the metropolitan elite?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

That guy who partially cashed out will be breathing a big relief now.

Wonder if he was rooting for it? OTOH 50k richer if it won. BOTOH the loss validates the partial cash out.
    We've all been there (not for the sums involved). My guess is rooting against.
    Yes think I would have been - although pure financial rationality says you want it to win.
    What was the story here?
    Bloke did a £5 acca bet on the horses and the 1st 4 legs came in, 5th and final running today and he had the fav. Stood to get £500k if it won, zilch if it didn't. Before the race he did a deal with the bookie. Traded his £500k vs Nil position for a £300k if it won vs £250k if it lost position. It lost. He won £250k.
    I think the article said £322k, or about £72k more... seemed to be picked deliberately to be enough to be rooting for the win.

I have to say pretty big balls on the guy to let the fourth leg ride, which was something like £2,400 @ 25/1. He deserves it.
    He was probably a big punter. One always hopes, with these stories, that it's someone who just bets small amounts as recreation but usually it isn't.

But, yes, either way, good for him.
    His use of the phrase "the field" gives him away as a seasoned punter, at least.

But he was unaware of Betfair's maximum payout, so perhaps not professional.

Incidentally I did the maths wrong. It was actually £3,575 @ 25/1 on the fourth leg.
    Also, haven't reached for the calculator on it, but I'm not sure the Betfair offer of 300/250 was value, given he had the 4/9 fav going for him in the last.
  • Options
    UK R

form case data

from hospitalisations

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

I thought you were a humble flint sex toy labourer, earning an honest living on the breadline, to be honest.
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

I started rewatching the West Wing as my 13 year old daughter thinks it's amazing. (She's friends with the daughter of one of the actors, which may also play a role...)

I must admit, it's held up better than I thought it would. (Disclaimer: only on series one.)
    It's a great piece of realistic feeling fiction, but ultimately that's where it falls down. The amount of actual politicking in DC must be mental and The West Wing doesn't really give any kind of insight into that, it presents it as a few staffers who have a few good ideas and then suddenly those ideas are implemented.

Still some great moments in the show and worth watching until the end of the Bartlett campaign.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,547

I just cannot see how UVDL Merkel or Macron can ever have any creditability again

Utterly shocking

The suspension had nothing to do with UVDL or Merkel. I'll grant you Macron, though.
    Note the EMA was not responsible for the suspensions, either.
    And has sensibly reported back very quickly to re-iterate that the vaccine is safe.

Individual national governments/medical authorities in Europe have come out of this very badly.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

Thread

twitter.com/DaveHarrisonBBC/status/1372544957249118209

Local government is embarrassing.
    It begs the question...is giving more power to these people a good idea?
    Hundreds of Council meetings have taken place during lockdown without any incident. I've attended meetings which have been perfectly well run and co-ordinated.

It's a stupid argument and comment - I presume you want more power in Whitehall and Westminster?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Ted Lasso is brilliant - very uplifting and positive (much needed in these COVID times). Highly recommended. Gets better as it goes too.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/12/bring-ted-lasso-energy-into-your-life

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10986410/
    Best "new" ones for me are Succession, This is Us, When They See Us (limited series).

Very much looking forward to next season of Top Boy also which is filming.
  • Options
    Age related data - scaled to 100k population per age group

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

Yes, as my wife pointed out - there is a known causal link between the contraceptive pill and blood clotting and that's got full approval in basically every country. As she said to me, the double standards being applied are ridiculous because the pill is a "women's issue" these serious side effects don't bother anyone but because the vaccine may be linked with a few deaths in men suddenly the whole programme needs to be halted an investigated.
    I think most of the reported deaths were in women ?
    And the halts and investigation were not the same thing. The halts were by national governments; the EMA investigation was to try to sort it out.
  • Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options

Leon said:

Just odd.

Someone who has never been in the Inns of Court, say, or the Royal Courts of Justice, is missing some of the greatest historical architecture in Britain, and some of the most impressive structures in Europe

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-medieval-dining-hall-of-the-middle-temple-part-of-the-inns-of-16145509.html

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/royal-courts-of-justice?phrase=royal courts of justice&sort=best
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781

Guardian blog

Neither should it be. I hope I don't live to regret saying this, but what surprises me is how few adverse events there have been with all these vaccines. It is a scientific marvel. It is a shame that politicians of all nationalities (and keyboard warriors in particular) have tried to turn it into a nationalistic willy waving exercise when it has been a global effort. Macron is at the top of the class of idiots and is a disgrace. Shame on him, he has managed to do what I thought was impossible and even surpassed some of our home grown idiots. The Fletcher Memorial Home would be the right place for such people. Perhaps Roger Waters could adapt the lyrics
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Someone who has never been in the Inns of Court, say, or the Royal Courts of Justice, is missing some of the greatest historical architecture in Britain, and some of the most impressive structures in Europe

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-medieval-dining-hall-of-the-middle-temple-part-of-the-inns-of-16145509.html

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/royal-courts-of-justice?phrase=royal courts of justice&sort=best
    I live about 300 miles from London. What can I say?
  • Options
    Blimey.
    After most of the wheels came off in England's innings, it's as though Stokes is piloting a unicycle, dangerously but rather thrillingly.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cricket aint the same game as when I played at a semi-pro level...I remember getting 100 in a 20 over game and it was seen as outrageous rarity.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

I thought you were a humble flint sex toy labourer, earning an honest living on the breadline, to be honest.
    Are you saying artisanal onyx Ben Wa Ball-carvers cannot ALSO be members of the metropolitan elite? Snob
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

And the halts and investigation were not the same thing. The halts were by national governments; the EMA investigation was to try to sort it out.
    Yes they were, though the one death in the UK was a man and is unlikely to be related.

I think her point was that on the one hand these countries and national regulators are happy to condemn women to taking a product they know is linked with thrombosis and possible death or other severe side effects but as soon as it's men that are possibly at some incalculably small risk these programmes are halted. She literally said "where's the precautionary principle for women" about the pill. Obviously she's pretty annoyed by the whole thing because she's from Switzerland and they haven't approved it while her mum and other family members sit at home waiting for a vaccine.
  • Options
    Explains how they can do 12 million second jabs in a month and still have first jabs going on.

Still going to be above 400k per day. I'm fine with that.
  • Options
    &**** Bairstow, you %%%%. !
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

Err, no. It's got absolutely nothing to do with double standards on women vs men. Quite apart from anything else, the vaccine deaths which worried the Europeans were mainly of women.

Not everything should be seen through the prism of sexism (or racism, or any other ism).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited March 2021

Cricket aint the same game as when I played at a semi-pro level...I remember getting 100 in a 20 over game and it was seen as outrageous rarity.

20/20 cricket is like a football match comprising a penalty shootout without the 90 minutes beforehand. Not very satisfying IMO.
  • Options
    If Stokes and Morgan are still there in 20 balls time I suspect we'll win.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I still think England would be better with Ali or Billings in the team compared to Curran. Morgan and Billings still to bat would weigh it in England's favour.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

Yes they were, though the one death in the UK was a man and is unlikely to be related.

I think her point was that on the one hand these countries and national regulators are happy to condemn women to taking a product they know is linked with thrombosis and possible death or other severe side effects but as soon as it's men that are possibly at some incalculably small risk these programmes are halted. She literally said "where's the precautionary principle for women" about the pill. Obviously she's pretty annoyed by the whole thing because she's from Switzerland and they haven't approved it while her mum and other family members sit at home waiting for a vaccine.
    The whole affair has been utterly daft.
    Lots of innumerate medics and politicians.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Are you saying artisanal onyx Ben Wa Ball-carvers cannot ALSO be members of the metropolitan elite? Snob
    Well every day is a school day on PB. I never knew carving sex toys out of flint was so lucrative. Are you in the market for an apprentice?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Take a trip. I mean that sincerely. If you ever get the chance and you're in London, check out these places, especially the Inns of Court. Most tourists skip them but they are absolute jewels. Medieval dining halls, Georgian chambers, gorgeous gardens for picnics. Make sure you go see 12th century Temple Church as well. Sublime.

https://flickeringlamps.com/2015/02/21/temple-church-the-hidden-church-founded-by-the-knights-templar/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Take a trip. I mean that sincerely. If you ever get the chance and you're in London, check out these places, especially the Inns of Court. Most tourists skip them but they are absolute jewels. Medieval dining halls, Georgian chambers, gorgeous gardens for picnics. Make sure you go see 12th century Temple Church as well. Sublime.

https://flickeringlamps.com/2015/02/21/temple-church-the-hidden-church-founded-by-the-knights-templar/
    That's a beautiful Church, I was at a wedding there a while back.

Don't recall seeing HMQ on the wall anywhere. Not sure it would have fit in.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

I believe that the pill is an example of the correct assessment of risk vs alternatives.

That is, the risk of the various, known, side effects is considerably less than the risk of medical side effects from abortions. At least that is my understanding.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

That's a beautiful Church, I was at a wedding there a while back.

Don't recall seeing HMQ on the wall anywhere. Not sure it would have fit in.
    Not in the church, but there are several portraits dotted around Middle and Inner Temple. As you would expect

Yes it is a lovely church. So tranquil....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    Exciting finishing in the cricket.

Did Francis and Eagles write us off too soon?

We'll see.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

Err, no. It's got absolutely nothing to do with double standards on women vs men. Quite apart from anything else, the vaccine deaths which worried the Europeans were mainly of women.

Not everything should be seen through the prism of sexism (or racism, or any other ism).
    Personally I think she had a point, she's often said that a product with as many side effects as the pill would never have been approved if men had to take it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

I just cannot see how UVDL Merkel or Macron can ever have any creditability again

Utterly shocking

The suspension had nothing to do with UVDL or Merkel. I'll grant you Macron, though.
    Note the EMA was not responsible for the suspensions, either.
    And has sensibly reported back very quickly to re-iterate that the vaccine is safe.

Individual national governments/medical authorities in Europe have come out of this very badly.
    And here in Spain the vaccine sceptics are having a field day. I'm not at the moment convinced they will lift the pause and if they do there'll be loads of refusals. It's like being in the dark ages.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

Personally I think she had a point, she's often said that a product with as many side effects as the pill would never have been approved if men had to take it.
    Max by far the biggest risk, outweighing blood clots, meteor strikes, No.9 buses, you name it, is if you don't agree with your wife that she has a point.

:smile:
  • Options

Explains how they can do 12 million second jabs in a month and still have first jabs going on.

Still going to be above 400k per day. I'm fine with that.
    Indeedy doody. If we still manage 400k a day for April that would be just fine. Then amp it up again in May. Sorted
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Will need to milk Thakur for 14+ here IMO. Stokes out, uphill task now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

Chemo is surely worse?

While I think the EU were mad, a difference as well is its informed consent, the side effects are known and can be warned about before the pill is taken.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

I think I have actually been to the outside that church. I distinctly remember seeing it whilst being absolutely hammered, stumbling out of some bar around there with a girl who I had travelled to London to meet. Good times.

I definitely got off the tube at Temple...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,153
    They probably weren’t aware of the actual numbers yesterday.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Do others have a favourite City Church?

Having visited them all I probably go for St Vedast-alias-Foster due to the modest Epstein in the Courtyard and All Hallows on the Wall because the ceiling is like a perfect drawing room.
  • Options

Exciting finishing in the cricket.

Did Francis and Eagles write us off too soon?

We'll see.

Look, I'm always right about cricket.
  • Options
    Oops.

Has Thakur won the match this over?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

I think I have actually been to the outside that church. I distinctly remember seeing it whilst being absolutely hammered, stumbling out of some bar around there with a girl who I had travelled to London to meet. Good times.

I definitely got off the tube at Temple...
    It's a brilliant part of London. So ancient, often beautiful, lots of alluring little alleyways, yet overlooked by tourists even though it is right in the heart of the the Smoke, between the City and Westminster.

I used to live just across Holborn from Lincoln's Inn, in Red Lion Square. Crazy, wonderful, hedonistic times. Sigh.
  • Options
    Not going to happen now alas, Curran and Jordan could deliver 20 for you but not 46, needed one of Morgan or Stokes to see it through.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,048
    Brom said:

If Stokes and Morgan are still there in 20 balls time I suspect we'll win.

You evidently haven't picked up the first rule of PB cricket predicting...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

Bleeding From The Retina
    Increased Pressure In The Eye
    Clouding Of The Lens Of The Eye Called Cataracts
    Vision Loss
    Separation Of The Vitreous From The Retina In The Eye
    Bleeding In The Eye
    Hearing Loss
    High Blood Pressure
    A Heart Attack
    Angina, A Type Of Chest Pain
    A Low Supply Of Oxygen Rich Blood To The Heart
    Cardiomyopathy, A Disease Of The Heart Muscle
    Atrioventricular Block, A Type Of Slow Heart Rhythm Disorder
    Complete Stoppage Of The Heart
    Ventricular Arrhythmias, A Type Of Abnormal Heart Rhythm
    Chronic Heart Failure
    A Hemorrhage In The Brain

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-7417/viagra-oral/details/list-sideeffects
  • Options
    Just looking at the NHS data in the latest weekly vaccination release.

96.5% of frontline staff have had a first jab. Though this might be distorted by non-frontline staff getting it.

Still.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Having visited them all I probably go for St Vedast-alias-Foster due to the modest Epstein in the Courtyard and All Hallows on the Wall because the ceiling is like a perfect drawing room.
    The Unitarian Church in Nottingham is well worth a visit. 😉
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just odd.

Go down for Open House weekend.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MattW said:

Hawksmoor's Spitalfields all day long.

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Guardian blog

Chemo is surely worse?

While I think the EU were mad, a difference as well is its informed consent, the side effects are known and can be warned about before the pill is taken.
    It's even more clearcut with the vaccines, though.
    It's been known all along that there are possible, extremely rare side effect of various sorts with all of them. So rare that it's not clear whether they are side effects or not.
    And the side effects of not having immunity through vaccination clearer still.

It doesn't mean that rare side effects ought not to be investigated thoroughly. Halting vaccination to do so is a nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.