Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Opinion polls and local elections – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited March 2021
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

My Oxford AZN jab was yesterday. No sore arm at all. Seems that some get a reaction but some don't.

Me too, jabbed that is. But distinctly off colour today.
    Strange isn't it. I wonder whether those that do get a reaction are slightly more protected by the vaccine?
    If only from a purely selfish point of view I would like to think so! But I have no idea (and no clear idea how one would design an ethical double-blinded trial to prove it ...).
    The data are probably in the original trials - will have collected side effects and be able to define a cut-off to compare subsequent infections in those with/without above cut-off side effects. Might lack power though (smaller samples).

Also might answer a different question. The initial side effects (they are mostly short lived) will be the body's generic 'something foreign here' response, not the specific to Covid response. So it won't really indicate how strong that, much more important, response is. It may be that people with a stronger initial general response would do better with actual Covid infection - whether vaccinated or not - in which case any trial might show that, but not answer the question of interest.

You could also do a trial (some have been/are being done?) looking at antibody production x-days after vaccination and see whether that does correlate with side effects. It may very well not though - antibody production in older people seems good, just as good as younger, but there seem to be more side effects in younger people (don't have data for that last, just have a sense of it from reports).

Side effects could very easily be just the younger immune system spoiling for a fight while the older, more experienced immune system just churns out the required antibodies without spilling its beer :wink:

(last paragraph firmly tongue in cheek)
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Opinium show Scottish polling nip-and-tuck with 2016 (at least I hope the changes are 2016 and I haven't forgotten an election in 2017!)

Holyrood Voting Intention:

Constituency:
    SNP: 46% (-1)
    CON: 24% (+2)
    LAB: 20% (-3)
    LDM: 6% (-2)
    GRN: 4% (+3)

Regional List:
    SNP: 42% (=)
    CON: 22% (-1)
    LAB: 19% (=)
    GRN: 7% (=)
    LDM: 5% (=)

Via @OpiniumResearch, 11-16 Mar.
    Changes w/ 2017 Election.

— Election Maps UK (@ElectionMapsUK) March 18, 2021
    Probably good news for the SNP that damage has been contained.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    I don't know. Perhaps hearing a senior politician saying "there is cause for concern"?
    We’re from the government. We’re here to help.
    That one is just plain dumb. I find it hard to believe even small staters buy that, it just comes across as disingenuous given all the things even they like the government doing.
    It’s a famous joke by Reagan
    I know - but people treat it very seriously as though it is an actually coherent philosophy on how to approach government. But it only works as a joke. Because it's nonsense.
    Tbf folk in other countries hearing 'We’re from the US government. We’re here to help' would be understandably skeptical, not to say fearful.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

My Oxford AZN jab was yesterday. No sore arm at all. Seems that some get a reaction but some don't.

Strange isn't it. I wonder whether those that do get a reaction are slightly more protected by the vaccine?
    If only from a purely selfish point of view I would like to think so! But I have no idea (and no clear idea how one would design an ethical double-blinded trial to prove it ...).
    The data are probably in the original trials - will have collected side effects and be able to define a cut-off to compare subsequent infections in those with/without above cut-off side effects. Might lack power though (smaller samples).

Also might answer a different question. The initial side effects (they are mostly short lived) will be the body's generic 'something foreign here' response, not the specific to Covid response. So it won't really indicate how strong that, much more important, response is. It may be that people with a stronger initial general response would do better with actual Covid infection - whether vaccinated or not - in which case any trial might show that, but not answer the question of interest.

You could also do a trial (some have been/are being done?) looking at antibody production x-days after vaccination and see whether that does correlate with side effects. It may very well not though - antibody production in older people seems good, just as good as younger, but there seem to be more side effects in younger people (don't have data for that last, just have a sense of it from reports).

Side effects could very easily be just the younger immune system spoiling for a fight while the older, more experienced immune system just churns out the required antibodies without spilling its beer :wink:

I felt pretty bloody awful a day or so after the AZ, for about a day. Very rough night. So I am hoping that this means I am well protected!

Incidently, I filled in a yellow card. It's not just a scheme for GPs. Public can fill them in online as well.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Seal, I started posting here around 2007. Started tipping on F1 a couple of years later.

Speaking of which, there are many new specials on Ladbrokes for F1, almost none of which are even close to value.
  • Options

An interesting article on the effect of Brexit on Irish trade which highlights an often ignored issue of the RoI acting as a land bridge between GB and NI. This is something that the protocol doesn't cover.

https://news.sky.com/story/how-brexit-has-changed-trade-between-britain-and-ireland-12247998

Darren Murphy, managing director of BM Transport, a family-owned haulage firm that sends 150 trailer loads every day across the Irish Sea said the added operational costs are being passed on to the customer.

He said: "You have people like me who are moving freight away from the Dublin to Holyhead route to the Northern Ireland ports because of the customs formalities and whatever else we have to do.

John Martin, policy manager in Northern Ireland for the Road Haulage Association said: "Once the COVID restrictions are lifted and the retail and hospitality sectors open up in Northern Ireland, there will be an increase in demand for products coming from GB into Northern Ireland.

"There will be insufficient capacity on the ferry servicing Northern Ireland because of the increase in the demand from the truck operators in Ireland."

The TIR system exists for precisely this kind of reason surely?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

They've turned the weans, Murdo and the Herald against us!

https://twitter.com/murdo_fraser/status/1372471188161761280?s=20

'Conspiracies are in the eye of the beholder, and Mr Salmond has made a comfort blanket out of his. It’s easier being the victim than the villain...

...But to most people, I suspect, Mr Salmond just looks like a grubby has-been who can’t handle the truth.'

TUD, no matter how you look at it the Scottish Government top echelons and UK Civil Service dreamed this up between them , likely to try to look good re #METOO and made a horse's arse of it , they then tried massive cover up to and including trying to jail Salmond on false allegations just to cover their arses. They have been fighting an incompetent rearguard action ever since , aided and abetted by tame LA. Whole lot of them deserve to be sacked/jailed etc.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

'Conspiracies are in the eye of the beholder, and Mr Salmond has made a comfort blanket out of his. It’s easier being the victim than the villain...

...But to most people, I suspect, Mr Salmond just looks like a grubby has-been who can’t handle the truth.'

....whilst Sturgeon just looks like a grubby still-in-post who can't tell the truth...
    They can't both be in the right, but they can both be in the wrong.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

An interesting article on the effect of Brexit on Irish trade which highlights an often ignored issue of the RoI acting as a land bridge between GB and NI. This is something that the protocol doesn't cover.

https://news.sky.com/story/how-brexit-has-changed-trade-between-britain-and-ireland-12247998

Darren Murphy, managing director of BM Transport, a family-owned haulage firm that sends 150 trailer loads every day across the Irish Sea said the added operational costs are being passed on to the customer.

He said: "You have people like me who are moving freight away from the Dublin to Holyhead route to the Northern Ireland ports because of the customs formalities and whatever else we have to do.

John Martin, policy manager in Northern Ireland for the Road Haulage Association said: "Once the COVID restrictions are lifted and the retail and hospitality sectors open up in Northern Ireland, there will be an increase in demand for products coming from GB into Northern Ireland.

"There will be insufficient capacity on the ferry servicing Northern Ireland because of the increase in the demand from the truck operators in Ireland."

The TIR system exists for precisely this kind of reason surely?
    Would that apply in this case if NI is treated as pseudo-EU?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    Cookie said:
    The devil is in the detail. There is nothing wrong (and indeed a lot right) with favouring proper integration over immigrants settling in a few neighbourhoods. How the state does that is fraught with difficulties though, and may end up good or bad depending on implementation. Watching this with interest.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

I felt pretty bloody awful a day or so after the AZ, for about a day. Very rough night. So I am hoping that this means I am well protected!

Incidently, I filled in a yellow card. It's not just a scheme for GPs. Public can fill them in online as well.

Absolutely - I'd encourage anyone with side effects to use the scheme. I have colleagues who do research into side effects and compare yellow card reports with other sources (such as social media) and there's a lot that is not reported. It's important to know, for obvious reasons!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2021

Opinium show Scottish polling nip-and-tuck with 2016 (at least I hope the changes are 2016 and I haven't forgotten an election in 2017!)

Constituency:

Regional List:

— Election Maps UK (@ElectionMapsUK) March 18, 2021Probably good news for the SNP that damage has been contained.

The direction of travel is very poor for them though and there's still a few weeks to go until election day and the revelations will keep coming until then. The drip-drip of poison for Sturgeon could result in an accidental unionist majority on the day even by just a 1 seat.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Interesting thread on who did what in getting the vaccine strategy right.

https://twitter.com/katyballs/status/1372482292954828800
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited March 2021
    O/t but interesting variation on the 'I'm in Manila/Moscow/Wherever' scam.

Had an email, apparently from a friend, who had neglect to buy a present for his niece; he was busy, could I help and he'd reimburse me.'
    Well, he's one of the good guys and he leads a very busy life so I said OK, what does he want.
    Answer was £200 Google Play card.
    Said I'd get it on Amazon; where did he want it sent.
    No, don't go to Amazon.

So, thought I'd check. Rang his home, they were inundated with similar calls.

It was possible, as above he leads a busy, involved with all sorts of voluntary groups.
  • Options

Excellent news on the surface for FTTP rollout.

Depends how they play it. Our has a fibre cabinet literally on the garden wall. We are of course connected to an alternative cabinet half a kilometre away with the speed hit that entails - next door's old duffer could get 20Mbps faster as he is connected to the closest cabinet.

As for FTTP my office (same building as my house) has a leased line fibre connection which would be £800 - £1,000 a month to switch back on. As an alternative I've been offered a leased fibre connection to the adjacent cabinet. A mere £195+ VAT a month for 18Mbps if I take out a 5 year contract.

After having 100Mbps FTTP at the old house, can't help feeling a bit fed up that I can't get close to that because Openreach connected me to the wrong cabinet. Can that be changed? No. Because Openreach are the ultimate in private sector monopoly providers.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

Carnyx said:

....whilst Sturgeon just looks like a grubby still-in-post who can't tell the truth...
    Is that what there telling you on the doorstep?
    No, no, no, no, no.

THEY'RE telling, not there. Jeez, Scottish education standards today under the SNP....
    As you know perfectly well it's likely to be a mobey predictive text hiccup. But let's assume it wasn't, in which case it reflects (given TUD's maturity) a condemnation of Scottish education standards pre-devolution, and therefore under the Conservative satrap in St Andrew House in all probability.
    If that's a good enough excuse for TSE it's good enough for me!
    Though I'm certainly a product of pre-devolution education; sitting in a draughty 1970s Aberdeen classroom doing a project on the Spanish Armada set me up for life.
    Ah yes, the 'British' imperial cult.

Were you encouraged to use Scots words/lit in your English (sic) lessons?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited March 2021

kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    I don't know. Perhaps hearing a senior politician saying "there is cause for concern"?
    We’re from the government. We’re here to help.
    That one is just plain dumb. I find it hard to believe even small staters buy that, it just comes across as disingenuous given all the things even they like the government doing.
    It’s a famous joke by Reagan
    I know - but people treat it very seriously as though it is an actually coherent philosophy on how to approach government. But it only works as a joke. Because it's nonsense.
    Tbf folk in other countries hearing 'We’re from the US government. We’re here to help' would be understandably skeptical, not to say fearful.
    Generally a bad day in your country if the USA is "delivering democracy" from 30,000 feet.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

kingbongo said:

Seems like the only geezer with a dodgy sense of humour the Japanese Olympics Committee didn't have in their number was the Ghost of Bernard Manning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56438842

If you're unkind you could say that it's sometimes better for a country's reputation if they don't take the opportunity of showcasing themselves to the world.
    When I went to Japan in 2016 there were some bars and places with "Japanese Only" signs and me and my son were not allowed into a bathhouse for the same reason - Japan is a fascinating country and I enjoyed my visist a lot, but they are amazingly racist
    Interesting. "No tattoos" was the only rule in the bathhouse I ventured into. Oh and of course single sex - one wonders if the "trans debate" has ever surfaced in Japan about bathhouses...
    I have to ask, how did you know? Was it in English?
    The no tattoo signs are in english, japanese and pictures. They're very obvious
    Good grief. Presumably because it's only gangsters who have tattoos in Japan? Or is there some other reason?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

No, no, no, no, no.

THEY'RE telling, not there. Jeez, Scottish education standards today under the SNP....
    As you know perfectly well it's likely to be a mobey predictive text hiccup. But let's assume it wasn't, in which case it reflects (given TUD's maturity) a condemnation of Scottish education standards pre-devolution, and therefore under the Conservative satrap in St Andrew House in all probability.
    Though I'm certainly a product of pre-devolution education; sitting in a draughty 1970s Aberdeen classroom doing a project on the Spanish Armada set me up for life.

To be fair, in SE Essex we had to study Tam O'Shanter for GCE "O' level Eng. Lit!
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    malcolmg said:

TUD, no matter how you look at it the Scottish Government top echelons and UK Civil Service dreamed this up between them , likely to try to look good re #METOO and made a horse's arse of it , they then tried massive cover up to and including trying to jail Salmond on false allegations just to cover their arses. They have been fighting an incompetent rearguard action ever since , aided and abetted by tame LA. Whole lot of them deserve to be sacked/jailed etc.
    Yes it is an interesting one. As understand it, eight or nine women were prepared to perjure themselves to "get" a politician and to put themselves through embarrassing questioning by police, lawyers and others. They were very dedicated to their conspiracy, and despite them being suggested to be liars and conspiracists by Salmond, the First Minister chose to say that the women had been "let down" by the Scottish government and offered an apology. I don't know whether Salmond has attacked or criticised that apology?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Yes it is an interesting one. As understand it, eight or nine women were prepared to perjure themselves to "get" a politician and to put themselves through embarrassing questioning by police, lawyers and others. They were very dedicated to their conspiracy, and despite them being suggested to be liars and conspiracists by Salmond, the First Minister chose to say that the women had been "let down" by the Scottish government and offered an apology. I don't know whether Salmond has attacked or criticised that apology?
    Yet see this -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/17/woman-rebuts-claims-nicola-sturgeons-aide-interfered-with-salmond-complaint
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393

Cookie said:
    The devil is in the detail. There is nothing wrong (and indeed a lot right) with favouring proper integration over immigrants settling in a few neighbourhoods. How the state does that is fraught with difficulties though, and may end up good or bad depending on implementation. Watching this with interest.
    I noticed yesterday Nick Palmer saying he couldn't see anything on Danish media about it - not sure what media he was looking at as it's a major (page 2) story - it's not really that controversial here although one of Copenhagen's mayors is very unhappy and she's in the social democrats.

Context is important - the Social Democrats won back voters from the Dansk Folkeparti by adopting their asylum nd immigration policies - Denmark has a big issue in the cities with gang violence - the policy is not liked by many on the left but the 'borgerlige' part of Denmark doesn't I think really have a problem with ensuring people integrate.

The blue-block parties however will face problems when these communities rock up in the countryside - Danes are pretty keen on people being Danish particularly if you are 'not western' and manypeople from places like Nørrebro or Ishøj don't speak Danish or if they do it's a very noticeable dialect with a lot of its own words.

This is in fact just a liberal policy from the 60s/70s - all Danes should have the same rights, freedoms and duties with no special treatment just because of cultural sensibilities. I don't think it will work at all.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

The direction of travel is very poor for them though and there's still a few weeks to go until election day and the revelations will keep coming until then. The drip-drip of poison for Sturgeon could result in an accidental unionist majority on the day even by just a 1 seat.
    Do you have any sense of where the SNP & Greens would lose the net five seats between them?

Although the SNP lost their majority in 2016, some of the swings to them in the constituencies were very large, so I'm not sure where they are still vulnerable, and I'd have thought that any seats lost on the lists might be picked up by the Greens.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    MaxPB said:

Constituency:

Regional List:

— Election Maps UK (@ElectionMapsUK) March 18, 2021Probably good news for the SNP that damage has been contained.

The saga between Salmond and Sturgeon still has legs...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

No, no, no, no, no.

To be fair, in SE Essex we had to study Tam O'Shanter for GCE "O' level Eng. Lit!
    We did some Burns for (just pre-Nat Curriculum) English Literature GCSE in Canterbury IIRC. Better than Chaucer our (adopted) local lit. Marlow was actually from Canterbury but didn’t get a look in.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Do you have any sense of where the SNP & Greens would lose the net five seats between them?

Although the SNP lost their majority in 2016, some of the swings to them in the constituencies were very large, so I'm not sure where they are still vulnerable, and I'd have thought that any seats lost on the lists might be picked up by the Greens.
    Don't forget the odd pro-indy Independent - Mr Wightman might well get a seat as well (albeit whether this is effectively at the expense of a Green or LD remains to be seen).
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Excellent news on the surface for FTTP rollout.

I totally read that as "FPTP rollout" and wondered why you were so pleased about Priti's London Mayor voting wheeze!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

No, no, no, no, no.

We did some Burns for (just pre-Nat Curriculum) English Literature GCSE in Canterbury IIRC. Better than Chaucer our (adopted) local lit. Marlow was actually from Canterbury but didn’t get a look in.
    Which Burns, as a matter of interest?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433

MaxPB said:

Constituency:

Regional List:

The saga between Salmond and Sturgeon still has legs...

I'd be interested to see continued polling on who is believed between Salmond and Sturgeon. The previous polling I saw was before their testimony.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    malcolmg said:

Malc, I don't think we're ever going to agree on this.
    I fully agree that that the whole process has been a cock up but I think any cover up would appear to be around deflecting attention from the cock up rather than a get Eck conspiracy. An alternative history on the basis of Alex Salmond's admitted inappropriate behaviour would be that the SG/Sturgeon had tried to ignore/cover up allegations of that admitted behaviour, and had refused to investigate them (some logic free Yoons are still trying to run that line while simultaneously claiming Sturgeon was out to get Alex). If that had come to light Nicola would have been out on her ear months ago.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I think the Greens won't pick up many SNP switchers who feel like they're being lied to by Nicola given their ball washing stance on it. If they decided to sit it out by staying home then that's when we're into accidental unionist majority territory.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

A jury almost totally women and a woman judge decided that the claims were all hogwash. The defence had eye witnesses for almost all the claims , one he agreed was consensual and the main charge a witness proved the claimant was not even in the building and the judge checked the claimant several times for trying to lead the jury. Who knows what he was like but this lot were all done via fishing expeditions and most were a joke, only there to back up the main charge so they could say it was a pattern. The amount of information out there makes it very clear, along with government hiding documentation , losing minutes , lying to their counsel , etc etc.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    edited March 2021

Mr. Seal, I started posting here around 2007. Started tipping on F1 a couple of years later.

Speaking of which, there are many new specials on Ladbrokes for F1, almost none of which are even close to value.

A betting strategy that's worked the last few seasons and I'm doing again.

Core assumption: Merc will win the Constructors or if not come 2nd. Below that is an outcome of negligible probability.

SPIN, buy them at 41 on the 50/30/20/10 index. Betfair, lay them for the title at 1.5.

Generates a chunky net profit whether they come 1st or 2nd.

Optional booster if instead of laying them at 1.5 you back Red Bull at 4 - taking the view that RB are the only team with a realistic shot at beating Merc.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Yet see this -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/17/woman-rebuts-claims-nicola-sturgeons-aide-interfered-with-salmond-complaint
    Hmmm, the plot thickens. That said, having David Davis as your character reference and advocate is not quite as bad as having David Ike, but not far off!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:
    As I said last night, we should still be expecting "many millions" to get their first dose in April just maybe not as many as we'd like because of unexpected delays elsewhere. The simple facts are that we're getting at least one new vaccine delivered in April and that's a completely new programme which will require at least 50% of the doses to be used for first ones. If we approve Novavax soon it adds a second new vaccine in April and more necessary first doses.

There is literally no need to panic and I don't think anything has really changed for 18-49 year olds.
    Indeed. One overlooked fact too is that we've literally pushed hell for leather as a nation getting first doses out delaying the second.

Even if April was 100% dedicated to second doses, with no first doses whatsoever, that would just be "catching up" on the fact that we were so far ahead already on first doses. It still shouldn't delay the unlocking of lockdown given that the over 50s (and soon to be double vaccinated over 70s) were the reason for lockdown.

As it happens there'll still be first doses, but it's not the end of the world of there aren't many. And I say that as a thirty something who wants his dose, but I'm prepared to wait if that's what is necessary so long as lockdown is still lifted.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. kinabalu, I do have a tiny sum on Red Bull for the title.

Annoyingly, I was just looking at dipping my toe into the points spread betting market when they stopped doing that and instead had the ranking/positions market only. Which I dislike, so don't bet on.

I imagine your bets will come good this year again, though next year the regulation changes could shake things up a lot.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

I had a similar experience.
    I don't think it makes much difference one way or the other as regards longer term immunity; the innate and adaptive immune responses are linked, but the strength of the former does not determine the efficacy of the latter.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

A jury almost totally women and a woman judge decided that the claims were all hogwash. The defence had eye witnesses for almost all the claims , one he agreed was consensual and the main charge a witness proved the claimant was not even in the building and the judge checked the claimant several times for trying to lead the jury. Who knows what he was like but this lot were all done via fishing expeditions and most were a joke, only there to back up the main charge so they could say it was a pattern. The amount of information out there makes it very clear, along with government hiding documentation , losing minutes , lying to their counsel , etc etc.
    It does make you wonder why nobody ever faced perjury charges. Then again the Lord Advocate is in her Cabinet.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Malc, I don't think we're ever going to agree on this.
    I fully agree that that the whole process has been a cock up but I think any cover up would appear to be around deflecting attention from the cock up rather than a get Eck conspiracy. An alternative history on the basis of Alex Salmond's admitted inappropriate behaviour would be that the SG/Sturgeon had tried to ignore/cover up allegations of that admitted behaviour, and had refused to investigate them (some logic free Yoons are still trying to run that line while simultaneously claiming Sturgeon was out to get Alex). If that had come to light Nicola would have been out on her ear months ago.
    Agree TUD, just like they covered Mackay, Grady , et al, they appear to be very selective in who they throw to the dogs. Fact they were willing to have him jailed to cover their arses is the real big point. Sturgeon and her acolytes are power crazy and are wrecking the SNP. May is looking like a disaster.
    Someone told my wife , professional, mega rich etc Tory , two years ago that Sturgeon was a wrong un , some scandal in her previous legal career , would ruin the country etc and I laughed at her and said it was just a Tory opinion. Has all come true.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I wasn't aware that "hogwash" was a legal term. He was certainly found not guilty. What do you think to Nicola's apology?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

No, no, no, no, no.

Far from it in primary school, though I don't remember much of a specific reading list at all. A dramatised school production of Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha where all we peely-wally kids were redded up to look like native Americans (that would not have been the term used) is all that sticks in my mind. We did Sunset Song in secondary (which probably counted as local boy made good in Aberdeen), plus Farewell to Arms, The Buffalo Soldiers and a good bit of Shakespeare.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

No, no, no, no, no.

Which Burns, as a matter of interest?
    This was the very brief period when you were able to do a GCSE through 100% coursework (a period of about four years between the abolition of O-Levels and the first GCSE exams under the national curriculum) and my teacher set us coursework about the “Poetry of the British Isles”. We had, from recollection, to choose one poet from a nation of the British Isles other than England - I actually chose Dylan Thomas but we spent at least one lesson on Burns (To a Mouse and Tam O’Shanter IIRC) that involved a serious discussion about when a dialect becomes a separate language altogether. It was noted universally that Burns was far easier to understand than Chaucer.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    DougSeal said:

Apologies for Comedy Dave, but this is a classic. He ponders whether the UK's success in vaccine procurement has been "worth the diplomatic damage".
    https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1372504806858895360

This guy is a piss-poor commentator but the joke of reposting him is starting to wear a little bit thin.
    Indeed. There seems to be a culture on PB which runs like this: Hey, look, isn't this guy a moron?

Yes, we all know he's a moron.

Let's post some more moronic stuff from him to reiterate how much of a moron he is.

No thanks.

Here you go!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:
    As I said last night, we should still be expecting "many millions" to get their first dose in April just maybe not as many as we'd like because of unexpected delays elsewhere. The simple facts are that we're getting at least one new vaccine delivered in April and that's a completely new programme which will require at least 50% of the doses to be used for first ones. If we approve Novavax soon it adds a second new vaccine in April and more necessary first doses.

There is literally no need to panic and I don't think anything has really changed for 18-49 year olds.
    I am sure you are right. A lot of my friends in the pharma sector are aghast at the antics of European politicians, not just because of the political "optics", but because the regulatory approval of other vaccines mean that supply issues are unlikely to be an issue in the coming months. The big problem now in continental Europe is going to be vaccine refusal rather than lack of supply, and that is bad news for all of us.
    Indeed, and as I said earlier this morning, my fear is that the EMA may just point out that all of the vaccines have got the same level of risk wrt side effects and while that would be right and any sensible person will simply accept it and move on the politicians in Europe seem to have created this odd situation where no amount or risk, even a 1 in 1,000,000 chance is acceptable for COVID vaccines despite the effects of not taking the vaccine being a 7 in 1000 chance of dying of COVID.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think the Greens won't pick up many SNP switchers who feel like they're being lied to by Nicola given their ball washing stance on it. If they decided to sit it out by staying home then that's when we're into accidental unionist majority territory.
    The question is what happens then. A unionist Con-led government would not be good for unionism.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Apologies for Comedy Dave, but this is a classic. He ponders whether the UK's success in vaccine procurement has been "worth the diplomatic damage".

This guy is a piss-poor commentator but the joke of reposting him is starting to wear a little bit thin.
    Indeed. There seems to be a culture on PB which runs like this: Hey, look, isn't this guy a moron?

Let's post some more moronic stuff from him to reiterate how much of a moron he is.

No thanks.

Here you go!
    The problem is the moron is a window into the soul of what the EU top brass are thinking and saying. Simply dismissing that isn't a sensible solution.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The question is what happens then. A unionist Con-led government would not be good for unionism.
    Anas Sarwar as FM?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

I am sure you are right. A lot of my friends in the pharma sector are aghast at the antics of European politicians, not just because of the political "optics", but because the regulatory approval of other vaccines mean that supply issues are unlikely to be an issue in the coming months. The big problem now in continental Europe is going to be vaccine refusal rather than lack of supply, and that is bad news for all of us.
    That is what I meant yesterday regarding the misapplication of the precautionary principle.
    The correct reaction, I think, would have been to allow vaccination to proceed whilst investigating these unusual cases. By acting precipitately in halting vaccinations, they have risked more deaths from Covid in unvaccinated individuals as a direct result of the halt, as well as risking delegitimising the vaccine in the eyes of the public.
    The status quo ought to have been continuing to vaccinate.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

DougSeal said:

No thanks.

Here you go!
    The problem is the moron is a window into the soul of what the EU top brass are thinking and saying. Simply dismissing that isn't a sensible solution.
    Nah, he's not. He's just a moron who'll perform whatever mental gymnastics are needed to arrive at the conclusion he wants. He doesn't have some special insight into what the EU are thinking, just into the goal they have in mind. Which we can all see plainly anyway.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

My guess is some will just not vote , they are not going to go Green , Tory , etc. On list they will go for an independence supporting party , but mainly not Greens. They have also been pissing off women big time with their hate crime bill and proposed GRA bill etc and so that will cost lots of votes as well. They may be very lucky to have majority way it is going. I think only thing to save them is Sturgeon out or they put 100% guaranteed referendum with dates etc.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Chameleon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Anas Sarwar as FM?
    Third, possibly even fourth, party at Holyrood? SLAB in bed with the Tories again?

• Options
    One fantastic problem we have for people getting themselves vaccinated in this country is phenomonal demand.
    It's a great problem to have
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    The big question is whether the Tories, Labour and LDs can somehow cobble together a coalition in Scotland if they win a small majority which looks possible.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Andy_JS said:

The big question is whether the Tories, Labour and LDs can somehow cobble together a coalition in Scotland if they win a small majority which looks possible.

Don't forget the Greens are also in the equation - I know HYUFD keeps ignoring them but they do need to be remembered.

PS SLAB and SLD have awful memories of the result of formal alliances with the Tories whether at Holyrood or Westminster. So that has to be factored in.
  • Options
    In terms of cases the UK is rapidly dropping down the list of countries. Now at number 29, having just been overtaken by France, Slovakia, Lebanon.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

No thanks.

Here you go!
    Nah, he's not. He's just a moron who'll perform whatever mental gymnastics are needed to arrive at the conclusion he wants. He doesn't have some special insight into what the EU are thinking, just into the goal they have in mind. Which we can all see plainly anyway.
    What's he said the von der Leyen hasn't also said or that she disagrees with?

Remember he was the one banging on about second doses with dodgy charts - and then she said it herself.

It is not a vacuum. He should just be an idiot, but he's an idiot in tune with VDL.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Don't forget the Greens are also in the equation - I know HYUFD keeps ignoring them but they do need to be remembered.

PS SLAB and SLD have awful memories of the result of formal alliances with the Tories whether at Holyrood or Westminster. So that has to be factored in.
    What is the current situation in Scotland with coalitions in local councils?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

That is what I meant yesterday regarding the misapplication of the precautionary principle.
    The correct reaction, I think, would have been to allow vaccination to proceed whilst investigating these unusual cases. By acting precipitately in halting vaccinations, they have risked more deaths from Covid in unvaccinated individuals as a direct result of the halt, as well as risking delegitimising the vaccine in the eyes of the public.
    In normal times, most European countries rely on process more than the UK and far more than the rest of the world. It has its pros and cons but creates a lot bureaucracy. In an emergency it is just inappropriate and dangerous to insist on following the non emergency processes without any thought of the costs of doing so.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

They're pro-independence so wouldn't join a Con/Lab/LD agreement I assume. Even if the Tories win more votes than Labour it might be better to have Labour leading the coalition since Tory voters would probably put up with that arrangement whereas Labour supporters would find it hard to stomach a Tory leader.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The SNP position is really quite strong.

To lose five constituency seats to the Tories there would need to be a 4.3% swing against them (and then assuming none of these constituency losses would be compensated by gains on the lists).

There are no SNP seats that would fall to Labour on that swing. And it turns out that the only SNP list seats are three in the South of Scotland and 1 in the Highlands and Islands.

I think we'd need to see quite a collapse in the SNP vote to end up with a Unionist majority. The voting system is designed to entrench in power a party dominant under FPTP in alliance with a smaller party that picks up seats on the list.

I don't think shifting that will happen by accident. It would take a decisive movement among voters to achieve. We'd probably need to see Labour retaking some lost constituency seats where they are currently a long way behind.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

No thanks.

Here you go!

Remember he was the one banging on about second doses with dodgy charts - and then she said it herself.

It is not a vacuum. He should just be an idiot, but he's an idiot in tune with VDL.
    Yes, it's more client journalism than independent activism.
  • Options
    glw said:

I'm not kidding when I say this, Keating's thoughts are on a par with some of the dumbest things Donald Trump has ever said. You think "it must be a wind-up, nobody is that dumb".
    Europe Trump?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Whether I'd feel quite the same if I actually lived in Scotland I don't know but as a LibDem/Lab voter I'd be VERY unlikely to vote Conservative even however unpleasant or unprincipled the main opponents were.
    I might well vote Green, now that the heat's died down a bit on animal experimentation.

I probably will locally in May, since the Green is the likeliest, IMHO, to defeat the sitting Tory.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Wales 22,904 15,226

743k UK equivalent (Using an over 50s scaling factor)

Seems crazy how far ahead on vaccines Wales is now.
  • Options

Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

No thanks.

Here you go!

If vdL starts talking about "diplomatic damage" from the UK vaccine programme within 48 hours, then sure.

Anyway, you seem to be implying that Keating is the organ grinder and vdL is the monkey. Which I'm sure is the wrong way round.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

What is the current situation in Scotland with coalitions in local councils?
    Haven't looked recently, but there are a few unionist-type coalitions, de jure or more concealed. But that is local gmt which is much lower profile and where you also get e.g. SNP + LD coalitions.

Aberdeen is funny - the Labour councillors were suspended for going into coalition with the SCUP and the kind of independent which is really more of a Tory rather than pro-indy type. But apparently they are still Labour so that's OK. Interesting to see Mr Sarwar's approach, though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-56238614
  • Options
    "India prioritises 'its own needs': Delhi accused of causing one-month UK vaccine delay by stopping export of 5m AstraZeneca doses - but manufacturer claims they were NEVER due to arrive as ministers insist it won't delay end of lockdown"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9375499/Coronavirus-UK-Vaccine-hold-caused-AstraZeneca-delivery-delay-Indian-factory.html
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

I'm not kidding when I say this, Keating's thoughts are on a par with some of the dumbest things Donald Trump has ever said. You think "it must be a wind-up, nobody is that dumb".
    Europe Trump?
    Or Europe Sean Hannity.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

They're pro-independence so wouldn't join a Con/Lab/LD agreement I assume. Even if the Tories win more votes than Labour it might be better to have Labour leading the coalition since Tory voters would probably put up with that arrangement whereas Labour supporters would find it hard to stomach a Tory leader.
    I agree entirely re Greens. On the Labour coalition leadership I've just realsied the implications of Mr Sarwar on the Aberdeen rebels, see separate post.
  • Options

I have, what has effectively turned into interview, this evening with a big law firm in the north of England... Wish me luck! :#

I only asked an associate for a brief phone call about the kind of work they did in their department and an opportunity to send over my CV and now I'm having a video call with both him and the partner head of department. :|

All the very best!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"India prioritises 'its own needs': Delhi accused of causing one-month UK vaccine delay by stopping export of 5m AstraZeneca doses - but manufacturer claims they were NEVER due to arrive as ministers insist it won't delay end of lockdown"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9375499/Coronavirus-UK-Vaccine-hold-caused-AstraZeneca-delivery-delay-Indian-factory.html

Cock-up rather than conspiracy. It was all going so well before politics got involved!
  • Options
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.12.435194v1.full

Potentially very, very good news - both the Pfizer and AZ vaccines are effective against the new Brazilian variant and AZ has got some level of efficacy against the SA strain which we previously thought it didn't have.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Have we covered this? It's an interesting hypothesis which might conceivably explain why the blood-clotting issue hasn't been seen here or in the clinical trials, but has apparently happened in a few cases on the continent:

https://twitter.com/jacobgorm/status/1372324835930558470
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Chameleon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Anas Sarwar as FM?
    Will never happen
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

No thanks.

Here you go!

If vdL starts talking about "diplomatic damage" from the UK vaccine programme within 48 hours, then sure.

Anyway, you seem to be implying that Keating is the organ grinder and vdL is the monkey. Which I'm sure is the wrong way round.
    No, I'm saying the other way around. The likes of Hannity would speak like Trump and take an explicit Trump line.

Keating plays the same role for VDL. It wouldn't surprise me if "lines to take" are being leaked to him.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The SNP position is really quite strong.

To lose five constituency seats to the Tories there would need to be a 4.3% swing against them (and then assuming none of these constituency losses would be compensated by gains on the lists).

There are no SNP seats that would fall to Labour on that swing. And it turns out that the only SNP list seats are three in the South of Scotland and 1 in the Highlands and Islands.

I think we'd need to see quite a collapse in the SNP vote to end up with a Unionist majority. The voting system is designed to entrench in power a party dominant under FPTP in alliance with a smaller party that picks up seats on the list.

I don't think shifting that will happen by accident. It would take a decisive movement among voters to achieve. We'd probably need to see Labour retaking some lost constituency seats where they are currently a long way behind.
    I agree , very worst case would be them being a minority government supported by greens or another independence party.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442
    Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

No thanks.

Here you go!
    And it that were a banning offence, the world in general and this place in particular would be much quieter than they are.
    (Me included, natch)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Pulpstar said:

Wales 22,904 15,226

743k UK equivalent (Using an over 50s scaling factor)

Seems crazy how far ahead on vaccines Wales is now.

One thing that was missed last night is that we should have a couple of bumper weeks prior to the slower times. Today will be a good example.
  • Options
    Did I just hear right that 12 million second doses in April?

Wow that's a lot, more than I expected.
  • Options
    Northern Ireland
    322k UK Equiv 5,389 / 3,256
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

I don't know - where did you hear it?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Have we covered this? It's an interesting hypothesis which might conceivably explain why the blood-clotting issue hasn't been seen here or in the clinical trials, but has apparently happened in a few cases on the continent:

Does it explain what the bad technique involves?

Given that we have rounded up volunteers from here there and everywhere, it would be surprising if all of their technique was perfect
  • Options

Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Green votes are available for budgets, etc, if there are Green policies to support. I don't think they'd refuse to work with Unionist parties solely due to the Constitutional question.
  • Options

I don't know - where did you hear it?
    Hancock in Parliament on the news. Wasn't sure if it was 12 million in April, or 12 million total by the end of April (counting those already done).
  • Options

That would tie in with the proposed mechanism of over activation of the complement system in the article I posted on the last thread, so it's not a ridiculous idea at all that accidental intravenous injection might be a factor.

(The mRNA vaccines are also intended for intramuscular injection.)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Green votes are available for budgets, etc, if there are Green policies to support. I don't think they'd refuse to work with Unionist parties solely due to the Constitutional question.
    Edinburgh Trams is a good example of SGs + Unionists, albeit imposed on a SNP administration.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I have, what has effectively turned into interview, this evening with a big law firm in the north of England... Wish me luck! :#

I only asked an associate for a brief phone call about the kind of work they did in their department and an opportunity to send over my CV and now I'm having a video call with both him and the partner head of department. :|

Good luck!!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    IanB2 said:

Given that we have rounded up volunteers from here there and everywhere, it would be surprising if all of their technique was perfect
    From a wiki search, injections or IVs which damage veins might cause blood clots (which then of course can become embolisms.)

From Mount Sinai hospital:

"Superficial thrombophlebitis is an inflammation of a vein just below the surface of the skin, which results from a blood clot. This condition may occur after recently using an IV line, or after trauma to the vein. Some symptoms can include pain and tenderness along the vein and hardening and feeling cord-like."

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/diseases-conditions/superficial-thrombophlebitis
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

No thanks.

Here you go!

No, I'm saying the other way around. The likes of Hannity would speak like Trump and take an explicit Trump line.

Keating plays the same role for VDL. It wouldn't surprise me if "lines to take" are being leaked to him.
    Wouldn't shock me either, although I would say "briefed" rather than "leaked to".

However, the example you gave had DK (Don't Know?) spouting a line quite some time before it became official from vdL. So I don't think that helps your view.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

In normal times, most European countries rely on process more than the UK and far more than the rest of the world. It has its pros and cons but creates a lot bureaucracy. In an emergency it is just inappropriate and dangerous to insist on following the non emergency processes without any thought of the costs of doing so.
    Which is why I say there has been too little political interference, at least from what I see in Germany. The Paul Ehrlich Institut seem to think they have seen something real and then probably just followed standard operating procedure - we need politicians to take the initiative and say: This is an emergency situation we need to carry on vaccinating while you figure out what this very rare thing is.

Instead Spahn and Merkel continue to do nothing, as they have done for over a year now. Like you say, in normal times this way of doing things has its advantages but here it is a disaster.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Google translate does a pretty good job on translating the article:

Corona vaccines must be injected deep into the muscle, it is called intramuscularly. This means that the skin must first be stretched out before the needle is inserted, which is also stated in the Danish Health and Medicines Authority's guidelines. To make sure that the needle does not stick into the blood vessels or damage them, you should pull the plunger back a little to see if there is blood involved. If this happens, stick to another location.

However, Niels Høiby has been able to state that this does not always happen. The fact that citizens' skin has instead, for example, been squeezed between the index finger and thumb before the vaccination, which in extremely rare cases can have fatal consequences.

• Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

DougSeal said:

No thanks.

Here you go!

Wouldn't shock me either, although I would say "briefed" rather than "leaked to".

However, the example you gave had DK (Don't Know?) spouting a line quite some time before it became official from vdL. So I don't think that helps your view.
    Its hardly unprecedented for lines to take being briefed/leaked to friendly journalists before a politician gives them is it?

Kite flying to see how it goes down.
This discussion has been closed.