Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After the damaging spat with Salmond can Sturgeon lead the SNP to a Holyrood majority on May 4th? –

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    MaxPB said:

Surely with 6% of French cases being the SA/BR variants means that France and the rest of Europe needs to go into the managed quarantine programme? That's a huge proportion.
    I thought the evidence was that AZ was highly effective against BR, so you probably need to know the split between SA (not so good for AZ) and BR Covid.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Labour will make something of a comeback in Scotland, I think.

I actually think so too, the new leader and that MSP questioning Sturgeon in the inquiry are both significant improvements on the previous team in Scotland. I think the Tories will hold on as well because Murray seems to be up to the job, the level of vitriol from the Nats on here against both unionists leaders (Lab/Tory) shows they now fear the result in May where they didn't under the previous leaders of both Scottish parties.

It's all slipping away from the SNP and as that happens the bitterness levels will only increase from them and their supporters.
    Eh? Mr Murray is a Labour MP. Mind, it can be difficult to tell the difference with him and the Tories sometimes.
    I think its Douglas Ross, currently MP for Moray, that's being referred to. I saw someone refer to him on twitter as Forres Gump recently which tickled me.

Never change, PB Scotch experts!
    Scotch doesn't refer to people. It is used as a compound - Scotch pine or Scotch whisky. Not people. You of all people should know that. Indeed the fact you don't makes me wonder if you are, in fact, Scottish.
    Scots irony is often very difficult for non-Scots to cope with.
    Random question, but if whisky from Scotland is Scotch whisky, why aren't people from Scotland called Scotch people?
    It is an archaic term for people from Scotland, certainly predating it being applied to whisky. For a while (before my time) Scots took offence at its use. Strangely it seems to be certain non Scottish types who are now triggered by Scots using it.
    Lets just stick with "North British" and keep everybody happy!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Surely with 6% of French cases being the SA/BR variants means that France and the rest of Europe needs to go into the managed quarantine programme? That's a huge proportion.
    We need to seal our borders even harder and intern anyone who comes back from overseas.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2021
    TimT said:

rpjs said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

1) Drakeford is another example of politicking a national emergency. He's clearly concerned that if the notion that we're out of the woods takes hold he'll have less to criticise the government about.
    2) Johnson's date of June 21 is not a "return to normal" date it is an end of legal restrictions date; not the same thing. There will likely still be guidance but we shall be free to ignore it if we wish.
    Noooo - your exotic apostrophes have gone!
    Too right. The shame

I've stuck a lump of blue tac on the rogue ` button. What the F is it for anyway?
    It deliminates string literals in some programming languages, most notably Javascript. IIRC back in my IBM mainframe days it had some important usage there.
    Single quotes within double quotes? At least on old-fashioned typewriters rather than the vertical ' on computer keyboards
    Yeah something like that. In JS the backticks are useful because you can include line breaks and do template substitution within them, which you couldn't do with regular strings. E.g.

const fullName = `${foreName}
    ${surname}`;
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,672

Anyhoo, Scotch Tories yet again having a normal one.

https://twitter.com/AMachaggis/status/1369781543376404482?s=20

What is in the water in Scotland these days?

You've got that bellend, I've seen people claim the Scots are being oppressed by the Brits/English on a scale not seen since India or Ireland.

I've seen some people say Leslie Evans is the wife of the head of MI5 and it is all a BritNat conspiracy to frame Salmond.
    Fuknose, a year of on-off lockdown probably has something to do with it.
    It's been an instructive year in lots of ways, quite a few of them not good.
    Indeed, still at least no one in England has been stupid enough to suggest sending in the troops to quell democracy in Scotland.
    Is not Epping in England? Or has East Anglia declared independence?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,398
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

I actually think so too, the new leader and that MSP questioning Sturgeon in the inquiry are both significant improvements on the previous team in Scotland. I think the Tories will hold on as well because Murray seems to be up to the job, the level of vitriol from the Nats on here against both unionists leaders (Lab/Tory) shows they now fear the result in May where they didn't under the previous leaders of both Scottish parties.

It's all slipping away from the SNP and as that happens the bitterness levels will only increase from them and their supporters.
    Eh? Mr Murray is a Labour MP. Mind, it can be difficult to tell the difference with him and the Tories sometimes.
    I think its Douglas Ross, currently MP for Moray, that's being referred to. I saw someone refer to him on twitter as Forres Gump recently which tickled me.

Scotch doesn't refer to people. It is used as a compound - Scotch pine or Scotch whisky. Not people. You of all people should know that. Indeed the fact you don't makes me wonder if you are, in fact, Scottish.
    Random question, but if whisky from Scotland is Scotch whisky, why aren't people from Scotland called Scotch people?
    Should I risk looking a total dilettante by attempting an answer? WTF not!

Ok, so whisky from Scotland is not "Scotch whisky". It's scotch.

The "scotch" here is not an adjective, it's a noun that means whisky from Scotland, or Scottish whisky.
    The Scotch Whisky Association seem to have their own thoughts on the matter, judging by their own title.

And every single bottle of Scotch whisky, which reads Scotch whisky on the label.

'Scotch' as a phrase is just an American thing.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I thought the evidence was that AZ was highly effective against BR, so you probably need to know the split between SA (not so good for AZ) and BR Covid.
    Depends on the variant. Think it's got some dilution against the original BR variant and just as good against the more recent P1 strain.
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

It is an archaic term for people from Scotland, certainly predating it being applied to whisky. For a while (before my time) Scots took offence at its use. Strangely it seems to be certain non Scottish types who are now triggered by Scots using it.
    The problem with that is that the English refused to use South British. (Not sure about the West bit - how that was supposed to be divvied up.)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,879
    Selebian said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

1) Drakeford is another example of politicking a national emergency. He's clearly concerned that if the notion that we're out of the woods takes hold he'll have less to criticise the government about.
    2) Johnson's date of June 21 is not a "return to normal" date it is an end of legal restrictions date; not the same thing. There will likely still be guidance but we shall be free to ignore it if we wish.
    Too right. The shame!

I've stuck a lump of blue tac on the rogue ` button. What the F is it for anyway?
    The only use I've found for it is in Stata, where it's essential for defining what Stata calls 'macros' (and everyone else calls variables). Right pain when your remote desktop defaults to a different keyboard layout and you can't hunt it down.
    The inability of RDP and all the major remote support tools to properly translate keyboard inputs, has been the bane of my existence for the past twelve months. It really shouldn’t be difficult for the client to send interpreted keystrokes to the server. 🤯

(Goes back to lurking, except to note that the case of Sarah Everard sounds utterly horrific).
  • Options

You've got that bellend, I've seen people claim the Scots are being oppressed by the Brits/English on a scale not seen since India or Ireland.

I've seen some people say Leslie Evans is the wife of the head of MI5 and it is all a BritNat conspiracy to frame Salmond.
    Radicalisation.
    It is happening more and more.

I have a friend of a friend, who I kinda know, she has been furloughed for most of the last year, so she spent a lot of time on YouTube watching normal stuff and then got into the conspiracy theory stuff.

She's refusing to get the vaccine because it's all a con to control us by Bill Gates and George Soros.
    To be fair Microsoft shares are up 60% since the pandemic started - what more PROOF do you want????
    Microsoft haven't been able to release a decent operating system since 3.1, there's no way they have the talent to fake a pandemic then develop the technology to control our minds and bodies via a 'vaccine'.
    Windows 7 was decent, macOS is superior however to Windows 10
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Many many years ago I had a client who hired an external consultant from South Korea to look at developing brand strategies and organisational labels.

He came up with this brilliant idea to follow the Greater London/Greater Manchester idea and create the concept of Greater England, which would have put Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland in Greater England, whilst England remained England.

I wish his ideas had been instigated, mostly for the LOLZ as the reactions of the Scots, Irish, and Welsh were classed as people from Greater England.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

The problem with that is that the English refused to use South British. (Not sure about the West bit - how that was supposed to be divvied up.)
    West British is normally a pejorative term applied to Anglophile Irish people.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Putting my non-partisan hat back on: would the UK Government be willing to give up tax and spending powers, i.e. devo max?

Does tax and spend strike you as getting to the heart of the matter? With my limited experience (as a PB Scotch expert), it doesn't seem like it to me. I think it would just encourage drift (possibly why you favour it :smile: ).

I think that something like a veto on foreign policy would do a lot more to strengthen the Union. Let's say there's a Council of the Home Nations. It comprises the leaders of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and possibly of London. Major foreign policy things could be voted upon. So, for example, there would be times when Scotland, Wales, NI could outvote the other two, but other times when other combinations won the day. Of course, population-wise, even if you separate London, it is not fair to the English, but it sort of seems right that at times of going to war, etc., we should do something like this.
    Because "more powers" has always worked before!

Oh.
  • Options

The politics of division, as typified by Mr Divvie. The SNP are the genuine nasty party in these islands. They are driven by spite, unpleasantness, and fake history where they gloss over the fact that of all Britain's leading colonialists, the Scots, like all areas of the British establishment, were massively overrepresented. They were not the colonised, but the colonisers.
    But they also gloss over things like the Scottish Enlightenment - huge contributions made by Scots to the world, after apparently being made a colonial backwater by the hated English.
    They don't. They just don't go on and on and on and on about history, selected or otherwise. Not going on and on and on about Churchill and Spitfires, for instance.

And Hume has had his first statue in Edinburgh (or anywhere?) put up quite recently!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Indeed, still at least no one in England has been stupid enough to suggest sending in the troops to quell democracy in Scotland.
    We need a universal irony symbol.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Oh, is it? Never knew that, thank you. That's my "new thing learnt on PB for the day".
  • Options

Carnyx said:

We need a universal irony symbol.
    Aye, right.
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Many many years ago I had a client who hired an external consultant from South Korea to look at developing brand strategies and organisational labels.

He came up with this brilliant idea to follow the Greater London/Greater Manchester idea and create the concept of Greater England, which would have put Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland in Greater England, whilst England remained England.

I wish his ideas had been instigated, mostly for the LOLZ as the reactions of the Scots, Irish, and Welsh were classed as people from Greater England.
    As a matter of fact, there were some Scots who did take to describing themselves as English following the Union. 'England' did become a catch all phrase for some, at the height of Victorian pomp, and I think that the legacy of that is partly why Americans even to this day often call us all 'English'. It would definitely have TUD and Carnyx reaching for the airsick bag. :lol:
  • Options
    Essex, incidentally, is not part of East Anglia. So there.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    MaxPB said:

The message to take is that we can't keep these variants out through quarantine. Either the vaccines will suppress them, or we need another round of vaccinations in the Autumn.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Oh, is it? Never knew that, thank you. That's my "new thing learnt on PB for the day".
    There's a wikipedia page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Brit
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Putting my non-partisan hat back on: would the UK Government be willing to give up tax and spending powers, i.e. devo max?

Does tax and spend strike you as getting to the heart of the matter? With my limited experience (as a PB Scotch expert), it doesn't seem like it to me. I think it would just encourage drift (possibly why you favour it :smile: ).

I think that something like a veto on foreign policy would do a lot more to strengthen the Union. Let's say there's a Council of the Home Nations. It comprises the leaders of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and possibly of London. Major foreign policy things could be voted upon. So, for example, there would be times when Scotland, Wales, NI could outvote the other two, but other times when other combinations won the day. Of course, population-wise, even if you separate London, it is not fair to the English, but it sort of seems right that at times of going to war, etc., we should do something like this.

Oh.
    I agree, that hasn't worked, because the additional resources have been enthusiastically used to undermine the Union. However, I wouldn't really see this as something that could be subverted to aid Scottish separation - I'd see it as a renewal of the way the UK works from a holistic perspective. Yes, it would answer (imo) some significant concerns in Scotland about being 'ruled' by Governments that so many had voted against, but I'd also envisage it as a way of all the home nations buying in when there was a momentous decision.

It would be interesting to see from our Scot Nats particularly whether the idea holds any appeal.

Also, realistically, does Boris actually have the power to do another Iraq? In reality is he not constrained from exercising that power, even on the basis of a WM vote, by the delicacy of the Union settlement? If he doesn't have the power, why wear the trappings - why not enshrine a more co-operative approach?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862
    dixiedean said:

If the SNP win a majority, but the polls look like a No, what will Sturgeon do?
    What will the PM do?
    We could be in the ludicrous situation of Westminster urging Indyref2 and the SNP trying to delay it.
    Nowt surprises me much these days.

Regardless she will do nothing , her plan is to kick can down the road for another spell by just keeping asking Boris for permission. If she has not been chucked out.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,039

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Could just have gone the whole hog and called it the Greater English Realm of the English Nation. There is a precedent after all.

Großgermanisches Reich der Deutschen Nation

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376
    edited March 2021
    tlg86 said:
    So he either

1) Slipped and fell and hit his head?

or

2) Self harm?

or

3) The other coppers went full Sweeney on him?

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,030

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

There's a wikipedia page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Brit
    It's also used non-pejoratively by the "most important" Cornish newspaper

https://local.reachsolutions.co.uk/brands/west-briton/
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    Police officer nabbed for that list of offenses? I'd go with self-harm, or more likely attempted suicide.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    My first thought was 2), but who knows?
  • Options
    This is why the details of an accused should not be released
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,103
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    I'm sure he just fell onto a door or something.. :smiley:
    He might have tried to smash his own head against a wall.
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Could just have gone the whole hog and called it the Greater English Realm of the English Nation. There is a precedent after all.

To be a precedent, would that not have to be the GroßPreußiches Reich der Preußenen Nation?

(apologies to any Germans - blame Google translate)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    I'm sure he just fell onto a door or something.. :smiley:
    He might have tried to smash his own head against a wall.
    i wondered the same thing
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    Same, I'm told prison is a horrific experience for ex police officers, even being remanded isn't fun.
  • Options

Do you think he's seen the papers? My guess would be probably not.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

TimT said:

rpjs said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Too right. The shame

It deliminates string literals in some programming languages, most notably Javascript. IIRC back in my IBM mainframe days it had some important usage there.
    Single quotes within double quotes? At least on old-fashioned typewriters rather than the vertical ' on computer keyboards
    Yeah something like that. In JS the backticks are useful because you can include line breaks and do template substitution within them, which you couldn't do with regular strings. E.g.

${surname}`;
    I suspect both non-vertical single quotation marks made it onto the keyboards of the first electric typewriters, but with the advent of personal computers and word-processing, there was no need for both of them, so one was adapted to the universal ', while the other ` was only kept as it had found another, new use in coding.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

The "scotch" here is not an adjective, it's a noun that means whisky from Scotland, or Scottish whisky.
    The Scotch Whisky Association seem to have their own thoughts on the matter, judging by their own title.
    I will contact them and point out their error.
  • Options
    Chris said:

MaxPB said:

The message to take is that we can't keep these variants out through quarantine. Either the vaccines will suppress them, or we need another round of vaccinations in the Autumn.
    I said yesterday one of my sons has already been given his date for a booster shot in September
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Almost 2k LFT positives in today's figures. Not surprised that PHE have made the data public becuase those tests are, IMO, worthless. The false positive/negative rate on them is far too high to be counted the same as a PCR positive.

This is exactly what I feared would happen, we get a whole bunch of pointless tests pushing up the perceived infection rate. Soon we'll get the usual suspects like that idiot zero COVID Scottish woman talking about how risky the current timetable is etc...

We really shouldn't have bothered with this strategy and just done it without the tests and had weekly PCR testing for teachers as a reduction in transmission vector.

False positive rates on LFTs can't be higher than the total positive rate.
    For the 8th of March (latest date to be sure almost all data is in), there were 1,481,812 LFTs given in England to provide 1,012 positives. Thus a positive rate under 0.07%.

Therefore a false positive rate of, at the very worst, under 0.07%
    That ain't bad, I'd have said.
    I mean in absolute terms because of such a huge number of tests it can add up and make something from nothing. The whole LFT scheme just seems needless and looking for trouble that doesn't exist.
    I don't think that's right. LFT tests might well catch a local outbreak well before it becomes obvious otherwise.

Yes, false positives have to be factored in to any analysis, but that's not hard to do, especially if PCR tests are done to confirm any LFT positives.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Do you think he's seen the papers? My guess would be probably not.
    I'm told one of the most common question that people who get questioned/arrested is to the coppers and their own solicitors is 'Will it be in the news/is it in news?''
  • Options
    Weird weather watch. I'd describe that as unwashed tripe.

https://twitter.com/slowberlin/status/1370063743246290947?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I thought SNP policy was for a referendum in 2022, not this year? Possibly a rather pointless question.
    Scots oppose a referendum next year by 48% to 33%. Only 42% of Scots even support an indyref2 in the next 5 years.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/5jtqxj3u8b/TimesResults_Scotland_210308_W1.pdf
    What you are so carefully obscuring is that a majority want a referendum within the next 5 years.

We still have to get through coronavirus first, especially if Mr Johnson causes a fourth wave in his panic to reopen the pubs.

I am not sure that Nicola, the current leader of the Scottish Nasty Party, is doing much better than Bozo on the virus in spite of her chutzpah and the reliable gullibility of those that cheer her on.
    Preconceptions, my dear!

Have a look at the recent wave's death etc figures. A proper stats analysis is needed - but the crude figures have been markedly better than the UK average. I agree the performance earlier on wasn't better.
    Carnyx, that idiot obviously cannot read or subtract, given death rate is north of 30% better.
  • Options

Essex, incidentally, is not part of East Anglia. So there.

As if we want to be pumped in with the web fingered ones :wink:
  • Options
    Chris said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe, or while we don't have those vaccine boosters ready we ramp up border controls so our own internal reopening isn't threatened. I'd rather have a completely closed external border and a fully open internal economy than another lockdown.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Scotch, Scottish and Scots are simply forms of the same adjective.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

If the SNP win a majority, but the polls look like a No, what will Sturgeon do?
    What will the PM do?
    We could be in the ludicrous situation of Westminster urging Indyref2 and the SNP trying to delay it.
    Nowt surprises me much these days.

I'd say the SNP cannot afford to get a Referendum AND lose it. That would surely kill Sindy as a serious proposition for a long long time.
    That was said with regard to the first one.
    But only because it had to be said. If people think there'll be a Referendum along every few years it steers to a No vote. Only those who are very sure about Sindy will vote Yes. Those who are on the fence but risk averse (who are many) will go, "Hmm, I rather fancy Sindy but I'm not sure. Bit scared, so I'll vote No for now. Nothing lost. Can always vote Yes next time. Shouldn't be too long."

The Yes campaign has to nail that sentiment. Say it's now or ever. This equalizes the portentousness of the choice. It makes both Yes and No a decision that will need to be lived with without serious prospect of reversal in the foreseeable future. It's not a fair contest otherwise.

And on top of this point there is the 'material change in circumstances' of Scotland being forcibly removed from the EU when one of the arguments of the No campaign in 2014 was that remaining in the Union would secure their place in the EU.
    "Say it's now or ever" LOL. That's what Salmond and Nicola said in 2014.
    Yes - for the reasons I explained in the exact post you're replying to!
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

It seems to me that the only people who identify first as British are unionists in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Most English people of my acquaintance identify as English first and British second, if at all.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    TimT said:

rpjs said:

TimT said:

rpjs said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Too right. The shame

${surname}`;
    I suspect both non-vertical single quotation marks made it onto the keyboards of the first electric typewriters, but with the advent of personal computers and word-processing, there was no need for both of them, so one was adapted to the universal ', while the other ` was only kept as it had found another, new use in coding.
    Backticks were originally used in database management systems to denote column names that would otherwise have presented problems to the DBMS. MS-SQL uses square brackets for a similar purpose.

For instance, spaces are used as token delimiters so you cannot have a column name with a space in it so

SELECT my column FROM myTable;

would fail, whereas

SELECT `my column` FROM myTable;

would work.

Backticks also allow appalling abuses of SQL so

SELECT `group`, `order by`
    FROM myTable
    GROUP BY `order by`
    ORDER BY `group`

will not throw ten gaziliion syntax errors like it deserves to.....

Backticks are often used when exporting SQL from one database to another in case one system has a reserved keyword which does not exist in the other and might be used as a variable name. Without backticks the import would likely fail.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe, or while we don't have those vaccine boosters ready we ramp up border controls so our own internal reopening isn't threatened. I'd rather have a completely closed external border and a fully open internal economy than another lockdown.
    What's the difference between your strategy and the 'zero Covid idiots'?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,517
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Don't get their lawyers excited - even when they are certain to lose they go all the way to the top

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2017-0025-judgment.pdf

• Options
    edited March 2021

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

It seems to me that the only people who identify first as British are unionists in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Most English people of my acquaintance identify as English first and British second, if at all.
    That surprises me. It's the opposite in my case.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376
    edited March 2021

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Depends on the context.

On between 8pm and 10pm on June 18th I am going to be unequivocally enitirely English.

On the 24th and 31st of July, and the 7th of August I am going to be I am going to be unequivocally enitirely British.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

The census will resolve this matter, although since it's been delayed by a year in Scotland a full set of results will be quite a long time in coming. But when they do, they should be instructive.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

And every single bottle of Scotch whisky, which reads Scotch whisky on the label.

Misdescribed on every bottle too? Incredibly slack.

And it's definitely not just Americans who might ask for "a scotch with a drop of tap water".

I could easily do that and I'm not American - far from it.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Which of those nasty words do you think he found most disagreeable?
  • Options

Cheating, I know a few football referees and they are pretty ok with the abuse they receive, but it is the cheating one that annoys them the most.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited March 2021

Mammatus.

Saw some this afternoon, although not quite that good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

To be a precedent, would that not have to be the GroßPreußiches Reich der Preußenen Nation?

(apologies to any Germans - blame Google translate)
    Not needed, because Anschluss, and so on.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

What's the difference between your strategy and the 'zero Covid idiots'?
    I'm not saying we need to have zero COVID, just no risk of lockdowns. Variants bring a risk of lockdown until we're vaccinated against them or there's evidence that t-cells work against them. It's about minimising immediate risks of lockdown, not saying that no one should die or catch it.
  • Options
    Harry Maguire has missed an open goal from one yard.

He couldn't score in a fecking brothel.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Oh.
    I agree, that hasn't worked, because the additional resources have been enthusiastically used to undermine the Union. However, I wouldn't really see this as something that could be subverted to aid Scottish separation - I'd see it as a renewal of the way the UK works from a holistic perspective. Yes, it would answer (imo) some significant concerns in Scotland about being 'ruled' by Governments that so many had voted against, but I'd also envisage it as a way of all the home nations buying in when there was a momentous decision.

It would be interesting to see from our Scot Nats particularly whether the idea holds any appeal.

Also, realistically, does Boris actually have the power to do another Iraq? In reality is he not constrained from exercising that power, even on the basis of a WM vote, by the delicacy of the Union settlement? If he doesn't have the power, why wear the trappings - why not enshrine a more co-operative approach?

We discussed that in 2012-2014 and I pointed out at the time that Mr Cameron would have won at a canter in indyref 1 if [edit] federalism, of which this would be a component, had been offered as an option to full indy or none at all. But he wouldn't and the debate has moved on since then. One reason is all those promises of more home rule, federalism, etc. in 2014 turnewd out to be worthless. They'd have to be implemented before indyref 2 to have any effect. And you'd need to keep the Tory backbenchers in line.

Also we realised we couldn't get past the need to do an A/S Heptarchy on England to stop it dominating the UK, which you are admitting the need of in embryo by separating out London.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,314
    The only conspiracy I believe with Bill Gates is that he's pushing for us all to eat lab-grown or synthetic vegan meat.

Piss off, Bill.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

That surprises me. It's the opposite in my case.
    It surprises me as well - I`m with you.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Misdescribed on every bottle too? Incredibly slack.

And it's definitely not just Americans who might ask for "a scotch with a drop of tap water".

I could easily do that and I'm not American - far from it.
    I think it's because of the legal status is it not? Can't for instance call your smoked fish Arbro' Smokie if you want to keep the placename protection. So naames tend to get fossilised.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1370048147800666114

Momentum are an embarrassment now.

The voters rejected Labour, Rayner is absolutely right.
  • Options
    So, at the moment at looks like we're on course to have everybody over the age of about 45 through their first shot by Easter, so most likely all the over 40s will be done in time for their three weeks to be up by the first bank holiday in May.

Meanwhile, in the alternative reality that is Wales, they're wetting themselves over a massive third wave if they don't stay in semi-lockdown right the way through until June, and quite possibly after that. Accompanied by the usual lines about vaccines not being enough to end the pandemic on their own. As if there's anything bloody else that will end it. What alternatives are they proposing? Sorcery?

I think some of these public health types genuinely would like to keep everybody locked up forever for their own protection. They're quite mad.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

Chris said:

MaxPB said:

I agree but I am not sure to what extent it is possible. Also dream of my WIfe being able to visit her Mum in the States for either Thanksgiving or Christmas.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970

Should football referees be miked up like rugby referees?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1370082091719794693

Jesus when you agree with Nick Ferrari.

Shaun Bailey is a joke - and a lot worse than Khan
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

So, at the moment at looks like we're on course to have everybody over the age of about 45 through their first shot by Easter, so most likely all the over 40s will be done in time for their three weeks to be up by the first bank holiday in May.

Meanwhile, in the alternative reality that is Wales, they're wetting themselves over a massive third wave if they don't stay in semi-lockdown right the way through until June, and quite possibly after that. Accompanied by the usual lines about vaccines not being enough to end the pandemic on their own. As if there's anything bloody else that will end it. What alternatives are they proposing? Sorcery?

I think some of these public health types genuinely would like to keep everybody locked up forever for their own protection. They're quite mad.

You channeling @contrarian this evening?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

He's triple downing on it I see, not content with doubling down.
  • Options

Mammatus.

The most extraordinary clouds I have seen were over our back field. Low parallel horizontal cylinders rotating around the horizontal axis as the whole cloud formation moved perpendicularly to the cylinders. Only ever seen it once.
  • Options

Radicalisation.

I have a friend of a friend, who I kinda know, she has been furloughed for most of the last year, so she spent a lot of time on YouTube watching normal stuff and then got into the conspiracy theory stuff.

She's refusing to get the vaccine because it's all a con to control us by Bill Gates and George Soros.
    To be fair Microsoft shares are up 60% since the pandemic started - what more PROOF do you want????
    Microsoft haven't been able to release a decent operating system since 3.1, there's no way they have the talent to fake a pandemic then develop the technology to control our minds and bodies via a 'vaccine'.
    Why do you think that is???? THINK about it, the operating systems are only poor as they diverted all their best people into covid almost three decades ago!!!
    If Windows was any good it wouldn't take 15 minutes to boot, need patching every month with "security updates" and nor would it take 3-4 minutes to open a MS Office 365 file.

It's just one of the earliest digital monopolies that, frankly, needs competitive new market alternatives.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I feel like the Tories have given up on London entirely? Perhaps not unreasonable
  • Options
    TimT said:

Mammatus.

The most extraordinary clouds I have seen were over our back field. Low parallel horizontal cylinders rotating around the horizontal axis as the whole cloud formation moved perpendicularly to the cylinders. Only ever seen it once.
    I think they are called cloud streets:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.stroudiecentral.co.uk/2018/08/24/amazing-clouds-over-stroud/&psig=AOvVaw18h2exuEh_jPeJwa6Q0Rqb&ust=1615574668750000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLiF_uPyqO8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAN
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

kle4 said:

I feel like the Tories have given up on London entirely? Perhaps not unreasonable
    I'm not sure they ever thought they had a shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of members and activists will barely go through the motions now.
  • Options

'a'
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Stocky said:

You channeling @contrarian this evening?
    Ha! I'm saying that there's a difference between sensible caution and insane wetting. If your only excuse for not opening the economy back up once you get down as low as the 40 or even the 35 year olds is "but vaccines aren't 100% effective" then you're admitting that you don't want to open back up ever. Because how can you? According to that thesis the moment you let everyone out to play the disease spreads through the remaining unprotected (because we're talking here about a paranoid fantasy universe in which vaccines also offer zero defence against onward transmission) and there's an almost instantaneous massacre.

No. The English plan for looking at the data and going in a series of sensible steps with sensible gaps in between is far superior to hiding behind the sofa forever. Certainly the notion of waiting until almost the entire adult population has been through the vaccination centres before you even contemplate going so far as letting a pub serve customers something other than a takeaway is ludicrous. There needs to be some kind of balance between public health and other considerations, not just endless aeons of imprisonment.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    Same, I'm told prison is a horrific experience for ex police officers, even being remanded isn't fun.
    My sister is a copper.

They are spitting blood because they now know parents will worry if they can trust the police, and especially vulnerable women. And they will get reams of abuse from everyone else.

She doesn't condone it but I reckon a bit of (3) or possibly he was strongly encouraged to do (2) himself. Whisky and Revolver stuff.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Oh.

We discussed that in 2012-2014 and I pointed out at the time that Mr Cameron would have won at a canter in indyref 1 if [edit] federalism, of which this would be a component, had been offered as an option to full indy or none at all. But he wouldn't and the debate has moved on since then. One reason is all those promises of more home rule, federalism, etc. in 2014 turnewd out to be worthless. They'd have to be implemented before indyref 2 to have any effect. And you'd need to keep the Tory backbenchers in line.

Also we realised we couldn't get past the need to do an A/S Heptarchy on England to stop it dominating the UK, which you are admitting the need of in embryo by separating out London.
    No, you misunderstand what I am proposing. There is no domination of England, it's one nation one vote. That massively favours the smaller nations. The separation of London simply makes it a little bit fairer to the Englanders (though I suspect London would often vote differently to England), and ensures there are five votes so there would always be a winning side.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    Nobody likes a bent copper.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2021
    Is this correct? If so, it could be worth ensuring people knowing about it. And does Android have something similar? I'd have thought that it would be better to have one of those motion-detection gestures to trigger it (like the 'karate chop' which I can use on my phone to switch the light on), because that would be less fiddly in an emergency.

https://twitter.com/AmandaPCraig/status/1370045775753924618
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

The only conspiracy I believe with Bill Gates is that he's pushing for us all to eat lab-grown or synthetic vegan meat.

Piss off, Bill.

There will always be a market for the authentic variety, just like with petrol cars. But replacing the ham in your daily sandwich with synthetic stuff? Not sure I see a downside.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

I think most English expats self-identify as British, not English. At least in my experience.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    My sister is a copper.

They are spitting blood because they now know parents will worry if they can trust the police, and especially vulnerable women. And they will get reams of abuse from everyone else.

She doesn't condone it but I reckon a bit of (3) or possibly he was strongly encouraged to do (2) himself. Whisky and Revolver stuff.
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he was left alone to top himself.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Is this correct? If so, it could be worth people knowing about it. And does Android have something similar? I'd have thought that it would be better to have one of those motion-detection gestures (like the 'karate chop' which I can use on my phone to switch the light on), because that would be less fiddly in an emergency.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208076
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Oh.

No, you misunderstand what I am proposing. There is no domination of England, it's one nation one vote. That massively favours the smaller nations. The separation of London simply makes it a little bit fairer to the Englanders (though I suspect London would often vote differently to England), and ensures there are five votes so there would always be a winning side.
    And why would any of this be of any interest to the English, and why would we want to be cut to pieces to suit everyone else?

If you want to give federalism a go then you create an English Parliament. If the Union can't survive fair treatment all round then it deserves to die.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    My sister is a copper.

I think most people are sensible and wouldn't give the police grief (not that many of us encounter them!).

It will be a tricky time internally for the Met, though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Is this correct? If so, it could be worth people knowing about it. And does Android have something similar? I'd have thought that it would be better to have one of those motion-detection gestures (like the 'karate chop' which I can use on my phone to switch the light on), because that would be less fiddly in an emergency.

I did not know that. Thanks
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    RobD said:

Piss off, Bill.

There will always be a market for the authentic variety, just like with petrol cars. But replacing the ham in your daily sandwich with synthetic stuff? Not sure I see a downside.
    If it tastes the same and has the same nutritious value (which it should since it's generated from meat cells), it does seem perverse to insist that an animal must die to provide precisely the same taste.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    And now, for the lighter side of the news . . .

Politico.com - New York Democrats meet to discuss Cuomo’s future as dozens call for resignation

ALBANY, N.Y. — Democrats with the power to impeach New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo plan to meet privately on Thursday to discuss “potential paths forward” after the emergence of serious new allegations led to a surge in calls for the governor to leave office.

More than 50 Democrats in the state Legislature issued a joint letter on Thursday calling on Cuomo to resign after the Times Union, an Albany newspaper, reported that an unnamed aide had recently accused Cuomo of groping her at the state’s Executive Mansion, where the governor lives.

Cuomo is accused of inappropriate behavior by six women and is also embroiled in scandal over claims his administration hid the number of deaths tied to Covid-19 outbreaks in nursing homes.

“In light of the Governor’s admission of inappropriate behavior and the findings of altered data on nursing home COVID-19 deaths he has lost the confidence of the public and the state legislature, rendering him ineffective in this time of most urgent need,” the Democratic lawmakers wrote in their letter. “We have a Lieutenant Governor who can step in and lead for the remainder of the term, and this is what is best for New Yorkers in this critical time. It is time for Governor Cuomo to resign.”

. . .

Calling for the governor’s resignation is not the same as supporting the politically disruptive process of impeachment. And it’s unlikely the Assembly would move ahead with impeachment unless at least 54 Democrats, a majority, support doing so.

But Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie said his Democratic conference will discuss what to do about Cuomo in a private meeting on Thursday. Options could include impeachment, at least one source said.

“In light of the allegations concerning the Governor over the last several weeks, I will be meeting with members in conference today on potential paths forward,” Heastie said in a Thursday morning statement.

The Times Union on Wednesday night detailed allegations that Cuomo fondled an aide under her blouse late last year when they when they were alone in the governor’s private residence. They followed an initial report from the day prior that the aide had told a supervisor she had been touched without her consent.

The aide told colleagues she was summoned to the Executive Mansion, which is a short walk from the governor's office in the state Capitol, to help him with an issue on his cell phone, the newspaper reported. The allegation is under investigation by state Attorney General Tish James. . . . .

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2021/03/11/new-york-democrats-meet-to-discuss-cuomos-future-as-dozens-call-for-resignation-1367711

Addendum - Andrew Cuomo is toast. Way past time for THIS garbage scow to be towed out to sea and sent to the bottom to finish rotting.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    My sister is a copper.

I think most people are sensible and wouldn't give the police grief (not that many of us encounter them!).

It will be a tricky time internally for the Met, though.
    Sadly my experiences with the coppers, and the Met in particular are generally negative.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    kle4 said:

I assume he feels he's nothing to lose, and at least he's getting better known as a result, if for the wrong reasons. Trump demonstrated that saying something disgusting can be electorally beneficial, for a while. It'd be a pity if it appeared to pay off, as it will encourage others to follow suit and we'll end up with an auction of who can be most outrageous.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2021

Radicalisation.

Why do you think that is???? THINK about it, the operating systems are only poor as they diverted all their best people into covid almost three decades ago!!!
    If Windows was any good it wouldn't take 15 minutes to boot, need patching every month with "security updates" and nor would it take 3-4 minutes to open a MS Office 365 file.

It's just one of the earliest digital monopolies that, frankly, needs competitive new market alternatives.
    My Windows 10 laptop boots in about 15 seconds and is seven years old.

All software needs patching constantly, that is the world we live in, Windows is not unique in that regard whatsoever.

Perhaps you should look at what is inside your Office files, are you using lots of macros by any chance? They should be moved out and into their own programs.

I say this all primarily as a Mac user.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,728
    RobD said:

You wont find anything like that on Microsoft as their engineers are all working on "other" projects!!!
This discussion has been closed.