Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After the damaging spat with Salmond can Sturgeon lead the SNP to a Holyrood majority on May 4th? –

Comments

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited March 2021
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Weird weather watch. I'd describe that as unwashed tripe.

https://twitter.com/slowberlin/status/1370063743246290947?s=20

Mammatus.

Saw some this afternoon, although not quite that good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud
    The most extraordinary clouds I have seen were over our back field. Low parallel horizontal cylinders rotating around the horizontal axis as the whole cloud formation moved perpendicularly to the cylinders. Only ever seen it once.
    I think they are called cloud streets:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.stroudiecentral.co.uk/2018/08/24/amazing-clouds-over-stroud/&psig=AOvVaw18h2exuEh_jPeJwa6Q0Rqb&ust=1615574668750000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLiF_uPyqO8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAN
    Yes. Or horizontal convective rolls. That was a good example.

Usually formed by a initially stable cold air flow over a warm sea, I think.

My favourites are the spaceships - lenticulars. You need some hills, though, so here in the Flatlands there needs to be a strong mid level wind blowing across the Pennines and forming standing waves.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    So he either

1) Slipped and fell and hit his head?

or

2) Self harm?

or

3) The other coppers went full Sweeney on him?

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    Same, I'm told prison is a horrific experience for ex police officers, even being remanded isn't fun.
    My sister is a copper.

They are spitting blood because they now know parents will worry if they can trust the police, and especially vulnerable women. And they will get reams of abuse from everyone else.

She doesn't condone it but I reckon a bit of (3) or possibly he was strongly encouraged to do (2) himself. Whisky and Revolver stuff.
    I think most people are sensible and wouldn't give the police grief (not that many of us encounter them!).

It will be a tricky time internally for the Met, though.
    Way more so if there are grounds for thinking there is more to come out.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

Is this correct? If so, it could be worth ensuring people knowing about it. And does Android have something similar? I'd have thought that it would be better to have one of those motion-detection gestures to trigger it (like the 'karate chop' which I can use on my phone to switch the light on), because that would be less fiddly in an emergency.

https://twitter.com/AmandaPCraig/status/1370045775753924618

Only iPhone 8 upwards, I think?
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    Same, I'm told prison is a horrific experience for ex police officers, even being remanded isn't fun.
    Nobody likes a bent copper.
    But on remand he had the presumption innocence which won't be honoured by the other prisoners.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2021

RobD said:

Is this correct? If so, it could be worth people knowing about it. And does Android have something similar? I'd have thought that it would be better to have one of those motion-detection gestures (like the 'karate chop' which I can use on my phone to switch the light on), because that would be less fiddly in an emergency.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208076
    You wont find anything like that on Microsoft as their engineers are all working on "other" projects!!!
    Microsoft don't produce mobile operating systems anymore, so an entirely irrelevant comment.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Which of those nasty words do you think he found most disagreeable?
    Should football referees be miked up like rugby referees?
    Without question. I cannot see any reason they are not. It would very quickly see an improvement in on field decorum and as a result allow demonstration of appropriate behaviour between players and officials, and for explanations of the decisions of officials to be immediately apparent.

What contrary reason is there to not do it, and endose the continued abuse of officials and disgraceful conduct of players, given telling them not to do it doesn't work?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Labour will make something of a comeback in Scotland, I think.

I actually think so too, the new leader and that MSP questioning Sturgeon in the inquiry are both significant improvements on the previous team in Scotland. I think the Tories will hold on as well because Murray seems to be up to the job, the level of vitriol from the Nats on here against both unionists leaders (Lab/Tory) shows they now fear the result in May where they didn't under the previous leaders of both Scottish parties.

It's all slipping away from the SNP and as that happens the bitterness levels will only increase from them and their supporters.
    Eh? Mr Murray is a Labour MP. Mind, it can be difficult to tell the difference with him and the Tories sometimes.
    I think its Douglas Ross, currently MP for Moray, that's being referred to. I saw someone refer to him on twitter as Forres Gump recently which tickled me.

Never change, PB Scotch experts!
    Scotch doesn't refer to people. It is used as a compound - Scotch pine or Scotch whisky. Not people. You of all people should know that. Indeed the fact you don't makes me wonder if you are, in fact, Scottish.
    Scots irony is often very difficult for non-Scots to cope with.
    Random question, but if whisky from Scotland is Scotch whisky, why aren't people from Scotland called Scotch people?
    It is an archaic term for people from Scotland, certainly predating it being applied to whisky. For a while (before my time) Scots took offence at its use. Strangely it seems to be certain non Scottish types who are now triggered by Scots using it.
    Lets just stick with "North British" and keep everybody happy!
    The problem with that is that the English refused to use South British. (Not sure about the West bit - how that was supposed to be divvied up.)
    It seems to me that the only people who identify first as British are unionists in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Most English people of my acquaintance identify as English first and British second, if at all.
    The census will resolve this matter, although since it's been delayed by a year in Scotland a full set of results will be quite a long time in coming. But when they do, they should be instructive.
    I'd say British was at least as popular a self-description as English amongst the English prior to 1997. (The two were probably used interchangeably, and if you were from Essex, say, those parts of Britain which were not England were so far away that the need to distinguish between the two rarely arose).

English has become a much more popular self-definition over the past 20-odd years. I put that partly down to devolution.
    It's instructive to look at old pictures of England football matches (80s and before). Very few St. George's Crosses in the crowd; lots of Union Flags.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited March 2021

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    My sister is a copper.

They are spitting blood because they now know parents will worry if they can trust the police, and especially vulnerable women. And they will get reams of abuse from everyone else.

She doesn't condone it but I reckon a bit of (3) or possibly he was strongly encouraged to do (2) himself. Whisky and Revolver stuff.
    I think most people are sensible and wouldn't give the police grief (not that many of us encounter them!).

Sadly my experiences with the coppers, and the Met in particular are generally negative.
    I've been stopped and searched once in my life (by police, rather than overly-enthusiastic stewards at the San Siro - not pleasant). My only complaint was they put my height as 5'9" when I'm easily 6'.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

TimT said:

TimT said:

Mammatus.

The most extraordinary clouds I have seen were over our back field. Low parallel horizontal cylinders rotating around the horizontal axis as the whole cloud formation moved perpendicularly to the cylinders. Only ever seen it once.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.stroudiecentral.co.uk/2018/08/24/amazing-clouds-over-stroud/&psig=AOvVaw18h2exuEh_jPeJwa6Q0Rqb&ust=1615574668750000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLiF_uPyqO8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAN

My favourites are the spaceships - lenticulars. You need some hills, though, so here in the Flatlands there needs to be a strong mid or upper level wind blowing across the Pennines and forming standing waves.

You get some very good lenticulars in South Georgia.
  • Options
    My biggest contention with Windows 10 is actually not the performance itself - which seems fine - but the UI inconsistencies, it is not cohesive.

Some settings are in Control Panel (from Windows 7 days), whereas some are in Settings. Some toggles in Settings take you to Control Panel, others you have to find yourself.

Then there are at least three different right-click menus.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Cookie said:

<
    I'd say British was at least as popular a self-description as English amongst the English prior to 1997. (The two were probably used interchangeably, and if you were from Essex, say, those parts of Britain which were not England were so far away that the need to distinguish between the two rarely arose).

English has become a much more popular self-definition over the past 20-odd years. I put that partly down to devolution.
    It's instructive to look at old pictures of England football matches (80s and before). Very few St. George's Crosses in the crowd; lots of Union Flags.

The forthcoming Census may be informative - there are a growing number of people who see themselves only as British - not English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

I actually think so too, the new leader and that MSP questioning Sturgeon in the inquiry are both significant improvements on the previous team in Scotland. I think the Tories will hold on as well because Murray seems to be up to the job, the level of vitriol from the Nats on here against both unionists leaders (Lab/Tory) shows they now fear the result in May where they didn't under the previous leaders of both Scottish parties.

It's all slipping away from the SNP and as that happens the bitterness levels will only increase from them and their supporters.
    Eh? Mr Murray is a Labour MP. Mind, it can be difficult to tell the difference with him and the Tories sometimes.
    I think its Douglas Ross, currently MP for Moray, that's being referred to. I saw someone refer to him on twitter as Forres Gump recently which tickled me.

Scotch doesn't refer to people. It is used as a compound - Scotch pine or Scotch whisky. Not people. You of all people should know that. Indeed the fact you don't makes me wonder if you are, in fact, Scottish.
    Random question, but if whisky from Scotland is Scotch whisky, why aren't people from Scotland called Scotch people?
    It is an archaic term for people from Scotland, certainly predating it being applied to whisky. For a while (before my time) Scots took offence at its use. Strangely it seems to be certain non Scottish types who are now triggered by Scots using it.
    The problem with that is that the English refused to use South British. (Not sure about the West bit - how that was supposed to be divvied up.)
    It seems to me that the only people who identify first as British are unionists in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Most English people of my acquaintance identify as English first and British second, if at all.
    The census will resolve this matter, although since it's been delayed by a year in Scotland a full set of results will be quite a long time in coming. But when they do, they should be instructive.

2002 World Cup was when England flags on cars became a thing.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    My sister is a copper.

Sadly my experiences with the coppers, and the Met in particular are generally negative.
    I've been stopped and searched once in my life (by police, rather than overly-enthusiastic stewards at the San Siro - not pleasant). My only complaint was they put my height as 5'9" when I'm easily 6'.
    Greek police are the worst that I've dealt with, absolute tossers at the 2007 Champions League Final, even well outside the stadium. Freely batoning anyone they thought they were English.

Not really had to deal much with American police despite frequent visits to America, other than a very friendly copper in NYC.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2021

My biggest contention with Windows 10 is actually not the performance itself - which seems fine - but the UI inconsistencies, it is not cohesive.

Some settings are in Control Panel (from Windows 7 days), whereas some are in Settings. Some toggles in Settings take you to Control Panel, others you have to find yourself.

It's a total mess. Microsoft are the worst offenders in not following their own UI conventions.

Mind you, at least Microsoft are pretty damned good at continuing to support old applications seamlessly. Unlike another supplier I could mention....
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Certainly the old archive pictures from 1966 are absolutely full of Union flags. Now they're seen, if it all, on the occasional white ensign. But that, at least, is indisputably a good thing. The conflation of England with Britain should be consigned to the dustbin.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    tlg86 said:

Regarding the Police & Crime Commissar elections, I trust that all PBers with a vote in these elections will perform their civic duty and spoil their ballots. Sketches of genitalia optional.

Happily, the role is being abolished in West Yorks.

The tosser in Surrey put up their share of council tax by 5%.
    They've changed absolutely nothing.

Even the ones who campaign on independence and reform go native.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

Carnyx said:

Putting my non-partisan hat back on: would the UK Government be willing to give up tax and spending powers, i.e. devo max?

Does tax and spend strike you as getting to the heart of the matter? With my limited experience (as a PB Scotch expert), it doesn't seem like it to me. I think it would just encourage drift (possibly why you favour it :smile: ).

I think that something like a veto on foreign policy would do a lot more to strengthen the Union. Let's say there's a Council of the Home Nations. It comprises the leaders of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and possibly of London. Major foreign policy things could be voted upon. So, for example, there would be times when Scotland, Wales, NI could outvote the other two, but other times when other combinations won the day. Of course, population-wise, even if you separate London, it is not fair to the English, but it sort of seems right that at times of going to war, etc., we should do something like this.
    Because "more powers" has always worked before!

Oh.
    I agree, that hasn't worked, because the additional resources have been enthusiastically used to undermine the Union. However, I wouldn't really see this as something that could be subverted to aid Scottish separation - I'd see it as a renewal of the way the UK works from a holistic perspective. Yes, it would answer (imo) some significant concerns in Scotland about being 'ruled' by Governments that so many had voted against, but I'd also envisage it as a way of all the home nations buying in when there was a momentous decision.

It would be interesting to see from our Scot Nats particularly whether the idea holds any appeal.

Also, realistically, does Boris actually have the power to do another Iraq? In reality is he not constrained from exercising that power, even on the basis of a WM vote, by the delicacy of the Union settlement? If he doesn't have the power, why wear the trappings - why not enshrine a more co-operative approach?

We discussed that in 2012-2014 and I pointed out at the time that Mr Cameron would have won at a canter in indyref 1 if [edit] federalism, of which this would be a component, had been offered as an option to full indy or none at all. But he wouldn't and the debate has moved on since then. One reason is all those promises of more home rule, federalism, etc. in 2014 turnewd out to be worthless. They'd have to be implemented before indyref 2 to have any effect. And you'd need to keep the Tory backbenchers in line.

Also we realised we couldn't get past the need to do an A/S Heptarchy on England to stop it dominating the UK, which you are admitting the need of in embryo by separating out London.
    No, you misunderstand what I am proposing. There is no domination of England, it's one nation one vote. That massively favours the smaller nations. The separation of London simply makes it a little bit fairer to the Englanders (though I suspect London would often vote differently to England), and ensures there are five votes so there would always be a winning side.
    And why would any of this be of any interest to the English, and why would we want to be cut to pieces to suit everyone else?

If you want to give federalism a go then you create an English Parliament. If the Union can't survive fair treatment all round then it deserves to die.
    Who is cutting anyone to pieces? I agree that the 'federalisation' of England along EU lines is wrong, and ironically, that would make this system less advantageous for Scotland and the other home nations, because they would always be outvoted by the English regions. And yes, the system would demand an 'English' authority disctinct from the UK Government. However, I think for this purpose, making London and ROE separate seems right and fair.
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

Mammatus.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&amp;url=https://www.stroudiecentral.co.uk/2018/08/24/amazing-clouds-over-stroud/&amp;psig=AOvVaw18h2exuEh_jPeJwa6Q0Rqb&amp;ust=1615574668750000&amp;source=images&amp;cd=vfe&amp;ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLiF_uPyqO8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAN

My favourites are the spaceships - lenticulars. You need some hills, though, so here in the Flatlands there needs to be a strong mid or upper level wind blowing across the Pennines and forming standing waves.

High mountains and strong winds - got to be the perfect place for them. Jealous!

One day...
  • Options
    stodge said:

Cookie said:

<

The forthcoming Census may be informative - there are a growing number of people who see themselves only as British - not English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh.
    That's a brave assertion.

At this point I would go back to the 2001 and 2011 results to see what's been happening in that regard so far this century, but I need to go and make dinner or else husband will waste away...
  • Options

It's a total mess. Microsoft are the worst offenders in not following their own UI conventions.

Mind you, at least Microsoft are pretty damned good at continuing to support old applications seamlessly. Unlike another supplier I could mention....
    Was it you who recommended The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp to me?

I enjoyed it. What struck me the most was that despite it being filmed *before* D-Day in 1943 (and Winston Churchill was reportedly not that keen on it) it feels remarkably contemporary and relevant for a film of that age. Except the trophy hunting, which I think would upset some today!

Great insight into English emotional repression, and the challenges of ageing, whilst also underlying how attitudes can benignly cement in someone.

Fascinating. Thank you.
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

Mammatus.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&amp;url=https://www.stroudiecentral.co.uk/2018/08/24/amazing-clouds-over-stroud/&amp;psig=AOvVaw18h2exuEh_jPeJwa6Q0Rqb&amp;ust=1615574668750000&amp;source=images&amp;cd=vfe&amp;ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLiF_uPyqO8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAN

High mountains and strong winds - got to be the perfect place for them. Jealous!

One day...
    I saw a lenticular cloud over the tower blocks in Woking last summer.
  • Options

Regarding the Police & Crime Commissar elections, I trust that all PBers with a vote in these elections will perform their civic duty and spoil their ballots. Sketches of genitalia optional.

I did not know that wsa a possibility - would be well worth it. The very concept of the role didn't stand up to the stated intent, and turnout is preposterous.

And sketches of genitalia certainly are optional, but people should be conscious that a penis, erect or otherwise, will not in itself invalidate your vote. There were quite a few penile sketches on votes at the count I attended in 2019, more than in previous elections.

Certainly at the last PCC there were a lot more comments written on ballots.
  • Options

Anyhoo, Scotch Tories yet again having a normal one.

https://twitter.com/AMachaggis/status/1369781543376404482?s=20

What is in the water in Scotland these days?

You've got that bellend, I've seen people claim the Scots are being oppressed by the Brits/English on a scale not seen since India or Ireland.

I've seen some people say Leslie Evans is the wife of the head of MI5 and it is all a BritNat conspiracy to frame Salmond.
    Radicalisation.
    It is happening more and more.

I have a friend of a friend, who I kinda know, she has been furloughed for most of the last year, so she spent a lot of time on YouTube watching normal stuff and then got into the conspiracy theory stuff.

She's refusing to get the vaccine because it's all a con to control us by Bill Gates and George Soros.
    To be fair Microsoft shares are up 60% since the pandemic started - what more PROOF do you want????
    Microsoft haven't been able to release a decent operating system since 3.1, there's no way they have the talent to fake a pandemic then develop the technology to control our minds and bodies via a 'vaccine'.
    Why do you think that is???? THINK about it, the operating systems are only poor as they diverted all their best people into covid almost three decades ago!!!
    If Windows was any good it wouldn't take 15 minutes to boot, need patching every month with "security updates" and nor would it take 3-4 minutes to open a MS Office 365 file.

It's just one of the earliest digital monopolies that, frankly, needs competitive new market alternatives.
    My Windows 10 laptop boots in about 15 seconds and is seven years old.

All software needs patching constantly, that is the world we live in, Windows is not unique in that regard whatsoever.

Perhaps you should look at what is inside your Office files, are you using lots of macros by any chance? They should be moved out and into their own programs.

I say this all primarily as a Mac user.
    Yeah, you're probably right, but I don't care or want to know about that crap.

I just want to turn it on (and off) and it for work quickly and effectively.

It's not like I'm pissing about it with or anything.

Is defragging the hard drive still a thing?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    South Africa remains astonishing to my mind. Lockdown was eased from Level 3 to Level 1 10 days ago and they have barely started vaccinations. We are "Red Listing" them while their rates are lower than ours.

• Options
    RobD said:

The only conspiracy I believe with Bill Gates is that he's pushing for us all to eat lab-grown or synthetic vegan meat.

Piss off, Bill.

There will always be a market for the authentic variety, just like with petrol cars. But replacing the ham in your daily sandwich with synthetic stuff? Not sure I see a downside.
    It's the same reason organic food is popular over factory food.

I want well-reared, high welfare, high quality, sustainably produced and organically reared real meat.

And, I'm willing to pay for it.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

TimT said:

TimT said:

Mammatus.

One day...
    You do not need to go to the US to see them. They are frequent over North Wales, Cheshire and Manchester.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I enjoyed it. What struck me the most was that despite it being filmed *before* D-Day in 1943 (and Winston Churchill was reportedly not that keen on it) it feels remarkably contemporary and relevant for a film of that age. Except the trophy hunting, which I think would upset some today!

Great insight into English emotional repression, and the challenges of ageing, whilst also underlying how attitudes can benignly cement in someone.

Fascinating. Thank you.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's just an extraordinary film, especially given that it was made during the war. Churchill tried to have it banned, because he thought it would damage morale and sap the fighting spirit.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It's a lot more than three, it might even be in double figures. Part of the problem is the extreme backwards compatibilty, there's no one right way of doing things where developers are expected to update their application if changes break it. The Apple way. Nor is there the backported libraries and clever shims that Android has, to allow developers to update whilst carrying on working on older operating systems. Microsoft allows essentially every version of a library, SDK, API, toolkit or whatever to co-exist, so unless an application is updated the old UI, behaviour, and functionality remains part of "Windows" indefinitely.

Windows 10X is apparently going to be an OS with all-new UI and one right way of doing things, but Microsoft in their wisdom has decided that you will only get that with new systems pitched as alternatives to Chromebooks; with old Windows applications running in containers, VMs, or streamed from the cloud for compatibility.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

RobD said:

The only conspiracy I believe with Bill Gates is that he's pushing for us all to eat lab-grown or synthetic vegan meat.

Piss off, Bill.

There will always be a market for the authentic variety, just like with petrol cars. But replacing the ham in your daily sandwich with synthetic stuff? Not sure I see a downside.

I want well-reared, high welfare, high quality, sustainably produced and organically reared real meat.

No real argument with that. But the Gates model potentially offers a cheap alternative for those who'd like the taste and quality but can't afford to pay for the organically-reared meat. Having both as a choice seems to me win-win.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964

Cheating, I know a few football referees and they are pretty ok with the abuse they receive, but it is the cheating one that annoys them the most.
    I really don’t understand why players are not sent off for that kind of conduct. Should be straight red and three match ban (longer for repeat offenders).
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    So he either

or

2) Self harm?

or

or

4) Medical episode?

Or something else.
    I'd plump for 2.
    My sister is a copper.

That’ll teach you not to slouch...
  • Options
    edited March 2021

TimT said:

TimT said:

Mammatus.

One day...
    You do not need to go to the US to see them. They are frequent over North Wales, Cheshire and Manchester.
    Yes. They are reasonably frequent even here when the wind is right. I've seen them quite often in eastern Scotland, too.

What I'm mainly jealous of, though, is the trip to South Georgia (the sub-Antarctic island, I'm assuming, rather than the US). The clouds probably look even better when combined with big glaciated peaks and penguins.
  • Options

Cheating, I know a few football referees and they are pretty ok with the abuse they receive, but it is the cheating one that annoys them the most.
    I really don’t understand why players are not sent off for that kind of conduct. Should be straight red and three match ban (longer for repeat offenders).
    Because clubs and fans would flip their shit if referees did that consisently, so they dare not. That they may be pretty ok with it is by the by, they shouldn't have to be ok with it in the first place.

Clubs and players won't stop doing it. Enforcement is not going to rise to stop it. So they must be made to stop. We can see it happening and that doesn't stop it, but people react viscerally to audio - broadcast the shouting, whining and swearing and perhaps something will happen.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Fascinating. Thank you.

Glad you enjoyed it. It's just an extraordinary film, especially given that it was made during the war. Churchill tried to have it banned, because he thought it would damage morale and sap the fighting spirit.
    Although that begs the question - how did they get hold of so much army material and various rationed items including colour film?

There was always a suspicion that Churchill kicked up a fuss to raise its profile in America, and to underline that as far as he was concerned the typical British officer was the ‘fellow of enterprise.’

Brilliant film though. One of the great performances from Roger Livesey.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    DougSeal said:

South Africa remains astonishing to my mind. Lockdown was eased from Level 3 to Level 1 10 days ago and they have barely started vaccinations. We are "Red Listing" them while their rates are lower than ours.

The red listing isn't to do with cases so much as variant importation. As it stands we have got very few SA variant cases and the new case number everyday is very low because of our lockdown. Allowing people to arrive from SA without managed quarantine will increase the number of SA variant cases and as we unlock it could become a disaster leading to another lockdown if our vaccines aren't effective against it.

Managaed quarantine is about reducing risk of a variant induced lockdown, not lockdown in general. It's a system that will need to be in place until we have a variant busting vaccine booster shot available for groups 1-9, hopefully September. The last thing we need is to seed a large number of variant cases in April just after lockdown ends and then find that our vaccines are only partially effective or completely ineffective as it just means another lockdown will follow while we wait.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

Is this correct? If so, it could be worth ensuring people knowing about it. And does Android have something similar? I'd have thought that it would be better to have one of those motion-detection gestures to trigger it (like the 'karate chop' which I can use on my phone to switch the light on), because that would be less fiddly in an emergency.

How does that not get triggered by kids playing with iPhones all the time?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200

TimT said:

TimT said:

Mammatus.

One day...
    Yes. They are reasonably frequent even here when the wind is right. I've seen them quite often in eastern Scotland, too.

What I'm mainly jealous of, though, is the trip to South Georgia (the sub-Antarctic island, I'm assuming, rather than the US). The clouds probably look even better when combined with big glaciated peaks and penguins.
    There's another Georgia in the Caucasus...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

The red listing isn't to do with cases so much as variant importation. As it stands we have got very few SA variant cases and the new case number everyday is very low because of our lockdown. Allowing people to arrive from SA without managed quarantine will increase the number of SA variant cases and as we unlock it could become a disaster leading to another lockdown if our vaccines aren't effective against it.

Managaed quarantine is about reducing risk of a variant induced lockdown, not lockdown in general. It's a system that will need to be in place until we have a variant busting vaccine booster shot available for groups 1-9, hopefully September. The last thing we need is to seed a large number of variant cases in April just after lockdown ends and then find that our vaccines are only partially effective or completely ineffective as it just means another lockdown will follow while we wait.
    It will be very interesting to see Israel's experience. They remove all travel restrictions from next Friday. If new variants don't manage to get any kind of hold thanks to widespread immunity from vaccines, we can be increasingly confident we won't see it either.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Maybe does. I had a really rubbish phone a few years ago that twice pocket dialled 999. Once I answered the call back and apologised, second time they turned up in person at home. I rang the manufacturer’s who told me I couldn’t disable the ability to dial 999 by locking the key pad as it was a safety feature. I got a full refund as I didn’t want to get charged with wasting police time...
  • Options
    edited March 2021

RobD said:

Piss off, Bill.

Only bloodthirsty savages eat meat, Casino :trollface:
  • Options

RobD said:

Piss off, Bill.

Only bloodthirsty savages eat meat, Casino :trollface:
    Meat and pineapple on pizzas...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:

Seems totally fake to me. Which is really inappropriate to share fake things.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kle4 said:

Because clubs and fans would flip their shit if referees did that consisently, so they dare not. That they may be pretty ok with it is by the by, they shouldn't have to be ok with it in the first place.

Clubs and players won't stop doing it. Enforcement is not going to rise to stop it. So they must be made to stop. We can see it happening and that doesn't stop it, but people react viscerally to audio - broadcast the shouting, whining and swearing and perhaps something will happen.
    It just sets the pattern, and is why you get touchline parents swearing at referees in front of their children. So many football fans, managers, players and commentators think that abusing referees is part and parcel of the game. The FA needs to make it clear that it’s unacceptable, and it would soon stop.
  • Options
  • Options

kle4 said:

It just sets the pattern, and is why you get touchline parents swearing at referees in front of their children. So many football fans, managers, players and commentators think that abusing referees is part and parcel of the game. The FA needs to make it clear that it’s unacceptable, and it would soon stop.
    But they've said it isn't acceptable and it doesn't stop. Because they know they won't be backed up. You'd think the first time someone got a red for mouthing off managers would make sure no one repeated it, but I'm very confident the referee would be be pilloried for ruining the game instead.
  • Options
  • Options
    MaxPB said:
    I thought Cressida Dick sounded rather strained on the radio.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

But they've said it isn't acceptable and it doesn't stop. Because they know they won't be backed up. You'd think the first time someone got a red for mouthing off managers would make sure no one repeated it, but I'm very confident the referee would be be pilloried for ruining the game instead.
    I disagree. I think straight reds and suspensions would make it clear that when they say it’s unacceptable they mean it. The fact they don’t take any action is a pretty clear indication that they don’t find it unacceptable, regardless of what they say.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    DougSeal said:

I think we need a double red list for Brazil right now. Like super blood red RED red.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:
    She's on borrowed time as it is.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:
    I mean.. how on earth? I’ve not felt this angry about a case for ages - how would the met continue to let the same guy continue as normal in his job if this happened four days before?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:
    I mean.. how on earth? I’ve not felt this angry about a case for ages - how would the met continue to let the same guy continue as normal in his job if this happened four days before?
    It would be wise to wait for all the information to come out.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

I don't agree with that. I am English and couldn't be a less nationalistic person, yet if I need to give my nationality I will always write British.
  • Options
    I'm seriously shocked that this could happen in the UK. It looks and feels like corruption. Maybe those fictional shows like line of duty aren't as fictional as we think.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:
    How on earth did she become Commissioner after messing up the Jean-Charles de Menezes incident so badly?
  • Options
    Received an email out of the blue today from the Time Party. Never heard of them. https://timeparty.uk/ Seem worthy if dull. Anyone cast any light on them?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:
    It would be wise to wait for all the information to come out.
    Well, of course. I just genuinely dread to think just how much damage this has potentially done to the trust of police - thinking particularly about women who suffer domestic violence, certain communities etc
  • Options
    kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

I don't agree with that. I am English and couldn't be a less nationalistic person, yet if I need to give my nationality I will always write British.
    I was born in Wales to a Scottish mother and English father. I, therefore, find British the simplest and most correct description of my identity.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    MaxPB said:

I'm seriously shocked that this could happen in the UK. It looks and feels like corruption. Maybe those fictional shows like line of duty aren't as fictional as we think.

What's 'this'?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489

TimT said:

TimT said:

Mammatus.

One day...

There's another Georgia in the Caucasus...
    Used to know some south Georgia Linticulars. Lived back in the Okefenokee Swamp a few miles above the Florida line.

The Linticular boys were wild & crazy, while the girls were fast & lose. OR was it the other way around?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:
    How on earth did she become Commissioner after messing up the Jean-Charles de Menezes incident so badly?
    The same way Amanda Spielman became head of OFSTED after messing up OFQUAL so badly.

She knew the right people. In this case, Theresa May.

But if truth be told this sounds like a lower level failure, albeit it says a lot of extremely concerning things about the Met.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We don't know the nature of the allegations, but if it is what we think it is, then all I'd say is that human nature is strange. People feel loyalty where they really shouldn't.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    MaxPB said:

Police looking after their own to a point of covering up criminality is a global thing, not sure there is any country it wont happen in. Its very hard to stop that culture as most of the time police really do need to look after their own. On the occasions when action does need to be taken both instinct and peer pressure will push them away from taking the right actions.

The best we can do is try and control it and avoid assumptions like it cant happen here.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2021

Apple supports their phones and laptops for many years, my MacBook Pro from 2013 is still running the latest OS. Microsoft however is king as you say.

Google is the worst, good chance the product will be cancelled or abandoned.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    Does "Scotch" in "Scotch Corner" refer to the country, the people, the "water" OR the corner?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    kle4 said:

I did not know that wsa a possibility - would be well worth it. The very concept of the role didn't stand up to the stated intent, and turnout is preposterous.

And sketches of genitalia certainly are optional, but people should be conscious that a penis, erect or otherwise, will not in itself invalidate your vote. There were quite a few penile sketches on votes at the count I attended in 2019, more than in previous elections.

Certainly at the last PCC there were a lot more comments written on ballots.
    It is the only vote in my 66 years I have abstained from making. I don't even want my defaced vote included in the turnout figure.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Received an email out of the blue today from the Time Party. Never heard of them. https://timeparty.uk/ Seem worthy if dull. Anyone cast any light on them?

Sadly not, though that they are even doing that much means they are more active than many of the new parties that get registered with the Electoral Commission. I can see a number of new ones registered probably for collections of local independents, like the We Matter Party, Democratic Network, Breakthrough Party (seems optimistic), Burning Pink Party.

Looking at their website, what they list as objectives is pretty standard, though I think it interesting they stress in the second that this would be 'via democratic government'. Not revolutionaries at least?
    • To preserve protect and defend the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of the United Kingdom.
    • To advance the well-being and safeguard the freedom of British citizens via democratic government.
    • To develop and maintain a robust dynamic economy which creates better lives for all, which enables every citizen to reach their ultimate potential.
    • To build a just society which supports and inspires individual effort and family responsibility while ensuring local and governmental assistance for the vulnerable and disadvantaged.
    • To develop and enhance a vigorous meritocracy, with opportunities for all of the country’s citizens to develop their skills across the full spectrum of economic, social and professional activity.
    • To develop a democratic system where citizenship embraces both rights and duties, encourages a sense of collective and individual responsibility and community action.
    Edit: One chap involved is listed as Lord Ivan Canas, a 'Brit-Ven lawyer'. Lord
    https://twitter.com/lordcanas?lang=en
  • Options

Anyhoo, Scotch Tories yet again having a normal one.

https://twitter.com/AMachaggis/status/1369781543376404482?s=20

What is in the water in Scotland these days?

You've got that bellend, I've seen people claim the Scots are being oppressed by the Brits/English on a scale not seen since India or Ireland.

I've seen some people say Leslie Evans is the wife of the head of MI5 and it is all a BritNat conspiracy to frame Salmond.
    Radicalisation.
    It is happening more and more.

I have a friend of a friend, who I kinda know, she has been furloughed for most of the last year, so she spent a lot of time on YouTube watching normal stuff and then got into the conspiracy theory stuff.

She's refusing to get the vaccine because it's all a con to control us by Bill Gates and George Soros.
    To be fair Microsoft shares are up 60% since the pandemic started - what more PROOF do you want????
    Microsoft haven't been able to release a decent operating system since 3.1, there's no way they have the talent to fake a pandemic then develop the technology to control our minds and bodies via a 'vaccine'.
    Why do you think that is???? THINK about it, the operating systems are only poor as they diverted all their best people into covid almost three decades ago!!!
    If Windows was any good it wouldn't take 15 minutes to boot, need patching every month with "security updates" and nor would it take 3-4 minutes to open a MS Office 365 file.

It's just one of the earliest digital monopolies that, frankly, needs competitive new market alternatives.
    My Windows 10 laptop boots in about 15 seconds and is seven years old.

All software needs patching constantly, that is the world we live in, Windows is not unique in that regard whatsoever.

Perhaps you should look at what is inside your Office files, are you using lots of macros by any chance? They should be moved out and into their own programs.

I say this all primarily as a Mac user.
    Yeah, you're probably right, but I don't care or want to know about that crap.

I just want to turn it on (and off) and it for work quickly and effectively.

It's not like I'm pissing about it with or anything.

Is defragging the hard drive still a thing?
    But that was my point, it boots in 15 seconds and from sleep almost instantly.

Defragging is irrelevant on SSDs, assume you have one installed?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625

It is too early to make an informed judgment but my first impression is they are too late to the party.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Police looking after their own to a point of covering up criminality is a global thing, not sure there is any country it wont happen in. Its very hard to stop that culture as most of the time police really do need to look after their own. On the occasions when action does need to be taken both instinct and peer pressure will push them away from taking the right actions.

The best we can do is try and control it and avoid assumptions like it cant happen here.
    Sir Robert Mark has already sort of proved that it very much could happen here, with the huge number A10 rooted out.

Sadly, he is no longer available for a repeat performance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Think I'll cross every box and write "I think the role should be abolished" when I vote for my PCC.
  • Options

Does "Scotch" in "Scotch Corner" refer to the country, the people, the "water" OR the corner?

The country. It’s where the main Glasgow/London and Edinburgh/London roads diverged, hence the name.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

We don't know the nature of the allegations, but if it is what we think it is, then all I'd say is that human nature is strange. People feel loyalty where they really shouldn't.
    Which we see in regards to religion, for example, all too often.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

Vaguely on topic. I very rarely comment on Scottish politics because it's several levels above my pay grade.

I'm going to be controversial - I don't think the SNP wants a second independence referendum. They may say they do, they may claim it's their entire modus vivendi but they have a lot to lose and to this observer little to gain from such a referendum.

The failure of the first referendum had the counter-intuitive effect of consolidating the SNP's voter core with the "Yes" vote. Indeed, what happened foreshadowed what happened after the 2016 Euro referendum - the binary nature of the referendum polarised viewpoints but whereas on one side there was only one party accommodating that side's supporters, the other had a plethora of choices and as we've seen that creates a dominant force with nearly half the vote on one side and a number of parties squabbling over the other half of the vote on the other.

The SNP dominates Scottish politics because it has a virtual monopoly on the supporters in one side of the argument while the other side has any number of larger and smaller groups fishing in half a pond.

This perpetuates SNP dominance at Holyrood and elsewhere so why change it? Johnson and Westminster are to the SNP what van der Leyen and the EU are to the Conservatives - someone to blame if things go wrong, someone to play the role of the boogeyman (or boogeyperson if you prefer).

All the SNP have to do is pretend they are champing at the bit for a vote safe in the knowledge they won't get one with Johnson and the Conservatives dominating in England. Indeed, the threat to the SNP is Labour doing well enough to break the Conservative majority as it will force the SNP to make a tough choice - let's say Starmer offers them a referendum as the price for supporting a minority Labour Government (by the way, it's not in Starmer's interests to do that nor for Sturgeon to accept it if offered, that's why a minority Labour Government backed by the SNP is going to last).

Parties rely on an unreachable objective to justify the continuing journey - conservatism, socialism, liberalism are all creeds which opine on a utopian society safe in the knowledge it will never happen. The SNP have a different problem - their end game (supposedly) is independence but if that were ever to be achieved, whither (or wither) the SNP?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sadly not, though that they are even doing that much means they are more active than many of the new parties that get registered with the Electoral Commission. I can see a number of new ones registered probably for collections of local independents, like the We Matter Party, Democratic Network, Breakthrough Party (seems optimistic), Burning Pink Party.

Looking at their website, what they list as objectives is pretty standard, though I think it interesting they stress in the second that this would be 'via democratic government'. Not revolutionaries at least?
    • To preserve protect and defend the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of the United Kingdom.
    • To advance the well-being and safeguard the freedom of British citizens via democratic government.
    • To develop and maintain a robust dynamic economy which creates better lives for all, which enables every citizen to reach their ultimate potential.
    • To build a just society which supports and inspires individual effort and family responsibility while ensuring local and governmental assistance for the vulnerable and disadvantaged.
    • To develop and enhance a vigorous meritocracy, with opportunities for all of the country’s citizens to develop their skills across the full spectrum of economic, social and professional activity.
    • To develop a democratic system where citizenship embraces both rights and duties, encourages a sense of collective and individual responsibility and community action.
    Edit: One chap involved is listed as Lord Ivan Canas, a 'Brit-Ven lawyer'. Lord
    https://twitter.com/lordcanas?lang=en
    Some of their policies don't really seem that well thought out.

Half of all population growth is through immigration - which they worry about- is clearly a massive deal if your population is growing at 10% per year (for example), but would be utterly negligible if the population was growing at 0.1% per year.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

My police officer friend was not impressed by that judge going easy on Fiona Onasanya on account of her being a lawyer and MP. Apparently judges tend to throw the book at coppers when they get done.

At which point it's worth noting the maximum sentence for perverting the course of justice is life in prison.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

It's named after the verb - Scotch Corner is the traditional place for stopping things happening.

(I've just made that up.)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kjh said:

Me too, that's in fact what I put on the census today.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

It is too early to make an informed judgment but my first impression is they are too late to the party.
    Their slogan "hour day will come" is quite catchy.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Vaguely on topic. I very rarely comment on Scottish politics because it's several levels above my pay grade.

I'm going to be controversial - I don't think the SNP wants a second independence referendum. They may say they do, they may claim it's their entire modus vivendi but they have a lot to lose and to this observer little to gain from such a referendum.

The failure of the first referendum had the counter-intuitive effect of consolidating the SNP's voter core with the "Yes" vote. Indeed, what happened foreshadowed what happened after the 2016 Euro referendum - the binary nature of the referendum polarised viewpoints but whereas on one side there was only one party accommodating that side's supporters, the other had a plethora of choices and as we've seen that creates a dominant force with nearly half the vote on one side and a number of parties squabbling over the other half of the vote on the other.

The SNP dominates Scottish politics because it has a virtual monopoly on the supporters in one side of the argument while the other side has any number of larger and smaller groups fishing in half a pond.

This perpetuates SNP dominance at Holyrood and elsewhere so why change it? Johnson and Westminster are to the SNP what van der Leyen and the EU are to the Conservatives - someone to blame if things go wrong, someone to play the role of the boogeyman (or boogeyperson if you prefer).

All the SNP have to do is pretend they are champing at the bit for a vote safe in the knowledge they won't get one with Johnson and the Conservatives dominating in England. Indeed, the threat to the SNP is Labour doing well enough to break the Conservative majority as it will force the SNP to make a tough choice - let's say Starmer offers them a referendum as the price for supporting a minority Labour Government (by the way, it's not in Starmer's interests to do that nor for Sturgeon to accept it if offered, that's why a minority Labour Government backed by the SNP is going to last).

Parties rely on an unreachable objective to justify the continuing journey - conservatism, socialism, liberalism are all creeds which opine on a utopian society safe in the knowledge it will never happen. The SNP have a different problem - their end game (supposedly) is independence but if that were ever to be achieved, whither (or wither) the SNP?

Malcolm, I need to know how you hacked Stodge’s account.

Although I must compliment you on the uncharacteristically restrained language you used.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

The country. It's the corner where you turn off if you're going to the Scotch country - i.e. Scotland. I assume it has had its name for ages, hence the archaic use of language.
    That said, I always thought it slightly odd; if you're heading north up the Great North Road, either of the two main routes from there will take you to Scotland.
    My Edinburghian granny deemed this obscurely important, for reasons I can't fathom now and don't think I could when she explained it to me.
  • Options

They will get in at the second attempt.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Maybe, but the allegations of indecent exposure not being properly investigated seem a step further than getting off a few parking tickets or having some weekend drunkenness ignored.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They have a minute chance.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    edited March 2021
    ydoethur said:

Their first attempt resulted in a minute vote.

Edit: too slow.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

The country. It's the corner where you turn off if you're going to the Scotch country - i.e. Scotland. I assume it has had its name for ages, hence the archaic use of language.
    That said, I always thought it slightly odd; if you're heading north up the Great North Road, either of the two main routes from there will take you to Scotland.
    My Edinburghian granny deemed this obscurely important, for reasons I can't fathom now and don't think I could when she explained it to me.
    It was the junction for the drovers’ roads before the Railway age. The modern A1 and A66 follow much the same routes.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Perhaps thank them warmly for the link to their manifesto and assure them that you will lose no time in reading it? :wink:
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Why is the British Green Party so moronic? They make me feel like jacking in my career and founding a single issue dedicated environmentalism party.

When May was PM, Labour was led by Corbyn and the Lib Dems were going down their Ignore Democracy rabbit hole, my prevailing feeling was a “plague on your houses”. At that point I’d have loved to be able to vote for a party that campaigned on a single issue of appropriate state intervention to cure the market failure of environmental damage and nudge the private sector in the right direction. But the Green Party are such morons, I didn’t vote at all.

Are the various European Green parties so batty?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    stodge said:

The thought that the current state of affairs is a very cushty number may have occurred to some minds, but it can't really ever be voiced, let alone form party policy, even behind closed doors. It would leak.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Met Commissioner Cressida Dick revealed last night that human remains were found in the week-long search for Miss Everard in woodland near Ashford, but in more heartbreak for her family she said identification may take 'considerable time' - a strong hint that the body found is in a very poor state.

i'm not going to repeat what some are reporting on twitter about why that might be
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

My police officer friend was not impressed by that judge going easy on Fiona Onasanya on account of her being a lawyer and MP. Apparently judges tend to throw the book at coppers when they get done.

At which point it's worth noting the maximum sentence for perverting the course of justice is life in prison.
    The question is how many people have been sentenced to life in prison for perverting the course of justice in say the last 50 years?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

The question is how many people have been sentenced to life in prison for perverting the course of justice in say the last 50 years?
    However many they are, not nearly enough of them have been judges.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I disagree. I think straight reds and suspensions would make it clear that when they say it’s unacceptable they mean it. The fact they don’t take any action is a pretty clear indication that they don’t find it unacceptable, regardless of what they say.
    I have seen players get yellow carded for abusing the referee several times. That could be used more often.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Why is the British Green Party so moronic? They make me feel like jacking in my career and founding a single issue dedicated environmentalism party.

When May was PM, Labour was led by Corbyn and the Lib Dems were going down their Ignore Democracy rabbit hole, my prevailing feeling was a “plague on your houses”. At that point I’d have loved to be able to vote for a party that campaigned on a single issue of appropriate state intervention to cure the market failure of environmental damage and nudge the private sector in the right direction. But the Green Party are such morons, I didn’t vote at all.

Point of order: there is no British Green Party.

But I get the general point. How batty they are depends on how popular they want to be and how seriously they want to be taken. AIUI the German Greens are really quite mainstream, with the consequence that they're presently polling in second place for the next federal election.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I have seen players get yellow carded for abusing the referee several times. That could be used more often.
    It should happen a dozen times every game, and could lead to 3-4 red cards. Until it does, nothing will happen.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    moonshine said:

Most Green parties are divided between dark Green Fundis, and dilettante light Green moderates. The German Greens are replacing the main left of centre party, but from a moderate position.

The Green Lib Dems are quite a strong moderate faction too.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/green_liberal_democrats
This discussion has been closed.