Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Boris numbers in these comparisons with Rishi and Keir should be worrying for the Tories – polit

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Fascinating how the map of the UK shows how Covid is retreating to the north. Isle of Wight, west Devon and South Hams now down to tiny case numbers. Very few strongholds of the Bastard Bug until you get into North Wales and the Midlands.

There is a fascinating geography dissertation to be written about this. The pattern is exactly the same as the last time the tide went out last summer. Why should these places be higher? Density? (But why not London?) Climate? (But why not the adjacent rural areas?) Socio-economic mix? Connectivity?
    Obesity
    Fascinating - could be. Some analysis to be done. Although instinctively I would think obesity would not affect numbers of positive tests; rather, it would affect how seriously ill you get.
    Or both? If you are obese you are more likely to get symptoms bad enough that you will get tested, perhaps. And in a community prone to obesity pools of infection will linger, like sinters in the spring - in hospitals, in people with Long Covid, and so on.

It is obvious that morbid overweightness is a major determinant in how an individual or a nation suffers from this horrible bug
    One of my long covid (And very much not obese) friends who got the bug has a very obese wife who he mentioned got away with only slight breathlessness whilst he went through the ringer !
    Being male and over 50 is a massive detriment no matter how fit you are in terms of virus outcome.
    One thing about the vaccine, it'll work best if you're not obese mind.
    Yes. I put on a chunk in this here Lockdown 3. But I've now lost 6 pounds and I've got 5 to go, to hit my target weight. The virus is really an alarm call for us all. Drop the lard
    Here here.
    I'm down from 12st 12 to 11st 13 .
    Another 8lbs to 10lbs to go.
    Mucb better for the loss
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Everyone: I have some very sad news to pass on.

I`d inquired about Nichomar who I`d noticed hadn`t posted since 19 January and was aware that he was in hospital.

I`ve received a message from Nichomar`s daughter today.

Nichomar dies of cancer on 22 January.

His daughter is pleased that we are thinking about him and has asked me to pass on the bad news to you all.

Nichomar has been posting for near-on six years and his posts totalled 7500.

Very sad day.

Thank you for posting this. My condolences to his family. I'll raise a glass to him in memoriam.

--AS
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Stocky said:

I`d inquired about Nichomar who I`d noticed hadn`t posted since 19 January and was aware that he was in hospital.

I`ve received a message from Nichomar`s daughter today.

Nichomar dies of cancer on 22 January.

His daughter is pleased that we are thinking about him and has asked me to pass on the bad news to you all.

Nichomar has been posting for near-on six years and his posts totalled 7500.

Very sad day.

RIP - He was a couple of hours up the coast from where I live. I guessed from his posts that his health was precarious. Especially sad that his last year or so has been in the shadow of lockdowns most of the time. There are many others in a similar position and it does make it all the more frustrating that the vaccine rollout remains painfully slow in Spain and hidebound by the silly limitations on AZN to under 55s only. I hope he didn't suffer unduly.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Stocky said:

I`d inquired about Nichobar who I`d noticed hadn`t posted since 19 January and was aware that he was in hospital.

I`ve received a message from Nichobar`s daughter today.

Nichobar dies of cancer on 22 January.

Nichobar has been posting for near-on six years and his posts totalled 7500.

Very sad day.

RIP Nichobar. Sad news.
    Very sad indeed. RIP!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:
    Our occasional reminder that Meghan managed to fall out with her own father (and siblings) long before she'd fallen out with her husband's. Presumably a white man who married (albeit then divorced) a black woman is immune from charges of racism? Especially as, if I understand correctly, he is still on terms with their other children.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1368933279085236224

Yet at the same time asking the US to send them supplies......

Weren't we assured by various euphiles on here that the whole thing was just for monitoring and they wouldn't be using the permission system to block exports? Have any of those people apologised for being wrong?
    I didn't think the EU would actually block exports, and I was wrong.
    Yeah I'm in that camp too, I didn't think they'd be idiotic enough to actually do it, I'd still be shocked if they ban exports to the UK given how heavily reliant the Pfizer production process is on UK exports but now I wouldn't rule it out.

This is exactly the the kind of misstep that the UK should be seizing on with low CT rates and generous long term investment allowances. Instead we're putting taxes up and limited allowances to just two years.
    Well, I must admit that - given the hostility between the UK and the EU - I though that if it did happen, then it would be the UK which would be affected. Australia is a particular surprise.

It's also been done (as has much in EU-land of late) in the most cack-handed way possible.

If the EU had called up Australia, it could probably have cut a deal with them. Australia isn't going to be opening up its borders any time soon, and they could probably have been bought off one way or another. (Indeed, Scott Morrison made noises to that extent.)
    Probably why they went after the Aussies. Softest fruit available since least likely to lead to a backlash.

Still stupid and cackhanded.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171

Would like this here to be honest (with caveats). I broke the law at the weekend to meet with my parents (both vaccinated more than 4 weeks ago, me 3.5 weeks ago). Not zero risk, but with current prevalance and the levels of care we have taken, pretty close to.
    You should be sent for 2 weeks in a Travelodge as punishment ;-)
    Can I choose where? And do I have to pay? It'll get me out of lab classes for the week, so maybe I'll take the hit...
    It has to be one of those really old style shit ones at some crap service station, where you get kept awake all night by the sound of the lorries....where as a poor kid from Stoke, my parents would take us to stay as a "treat".
    One of my Scottish nieces, when quite young, genuinely thought they were staying at the motorway services Travelodge for the entire 7 day holiday... Bless.
    Also my wife once insisted we get a room change as the room was too big... (It was freaking her out for some reason).
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Suits was never a top tier show. It was a mediocre soap opera about people delivering cliche dialogue. The quality was not there. Meghan was right to leave.

The Royals is a real top tier show. It has extreme melodrama, an international audience, a huge locations budget & cracking storylines. Meghan was right to join.

It is really hard to keep people hooked and coming back day after day. But, Meghan has been given an all time great storyline. This could run and run.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited March 2021

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Testing results announced today up 60% on last week - figures this week are going to be a joke.

Cases down 13% regardless, but clearly would have been a much bigger fall without the extra load of false positives
    You have no evidence for such an assertion. False positives was a bullshit hypothesis when it was advanced last autumn, and it's bullshit now unless you can come up with actual evidence.

Similarly herd immunity, which you were touting upthread.

--AS
    What a weird aggressive post.

I am quoting the government's own estimate of false positives for lateral flow tests, which is 0.31%, so an extra 300,000 tests conducted compared to the same day last week would generate another 900 false positives, and so the case fall looks like 13% rather than the reality of more like 30%.

False positives are a fact of life for any test no matter how many childish swear words you want to bring out.
    The stats for lateral flow tests for school kids should be shown in stats as a separate column. Millions of tests. Done by amateurs. Some are going to be false +.
    I doubt they're in the figures today; only 800,000 tests were done for our current case load; it was higher on three days last week. The average over the last fortnight has been just short of 700,000.
    I was told by my wife (who is volunteering to administer them at school) that the LTF will not show on the UK figures for number of tests taken.

A positive result WILL show when the positive LTF goes on to become a positive PCR.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    edited March 2021
    Stocky said:

I`d inquired about Nichobar who I`d noticed hadn`t posted since 19 January and was aware that he was in hospital.

Very sad day.

Oh dear. So sad to hear this. RIP to Nichobar.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:
    Our occasional reminder that Meghan managed to fall out with her own father (and siblings) long before she'd fallen out with her husband's. Presumably a white man who married (albeit then divorced) a black woman is immune from charges of racism? Especially as, if I understand correctly, he is still on terms with their other children.
    He was getting plenty of negative press around the time of the wedding, so it'd be quite the turnaround to be supported now.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Fascinating how the map of the UK shows how Covid is retreating to the north. Isle of Wight, west Devon and South Hams now down to tiny case numbers. Very few strongholds of the Bastard Bug until you get into North Wales and the Midlands.

There is a fascinating geography dissertation to be written about this. The pattern is exactly the same as the last time the tide went out last summer. Why should these places be higher? Density? (But why not London?) Climate? (But why not the adjacent rural areas?) Socio-economic mix? Connectivity?
    I have maintained for many months.
    It is the cultural habit of popping into the neighbours' houses at the drop of a hat.
    Isn't that a bit of a hackneyed stereotype though? Is it really the case that northerners announce themselves on your doorstep daily and enter for tea/wine/a bit of the other uninvited?
    I would say it is a stereotype.
    But like most contains more than a grain of truth.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Stocky said:

Very sad day.

RIP Nichobar. Sad news.
    Very sad indeed. RIP!
    Nichomar (correcting your autocorrect).

Very sad news.
  • Options

Suits was never a top tier show. It was a mediocre soap opera about people delivering cliche dialogue. The quality was not there. Meghan was right to leave.

The Royals is a real top tier show. It has extreme melodrama, an international audience, a huge locations budget & cracking storylines. Meghan was right to join.

It is really hard to keep people hooked and coming back day after day. But, Meghan has been given an all time great storyline. This could run and run.

Hey! I liked Suits. I think the Royals is a bit too melodramatic even by comparison.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,399
    HYUFD said:

17 million viewers only? The Sussex camp and TV anchors were talking 100 million this morning!

The Superbowl got 96 million viewers in February
    https://www.nfl.com/news/super-bowl-lv-draws-audience-of-96-4-million-viewers
    Complete flop in other words. Oh well.
  • Options

x

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Testing results announced today up 60% on last week - figures this week are going to be a joke.

Cases down 13% regardless, but clearly would have been a much bigger fall without the extra load of false positives
    You have no evidence for such an assertion. False positives was a bullshit hypothesis when it was advanced last autumn, and it's bullshit now unless you can come up with actual evidence.

--AS
    It would help if the government would explain the process for guarding against false positives. If every positive test by lateral flow must be confirmed by PCR then I would think the true false positive count would be miniscule. But if there are no safeguards then there will be some false positives; its simply a statistical fact.
    The farago back in september about this was instructive. Clearly the increase in cases was not due to false positives (to any realistic viewer). But with 900,000 tests a day, checks do need to be in place.
    AIUI the in-school testing this week is (inexplicably) not subject to confirmatory PCR, but after this week the home tests all will be. The FP of lateral flow tests is overstated by PHE, most studies show ~0.1%, so (assuming they are included in the case numbers at all) we'll see a few hundred/small thousands of those this week and nothing much after that.

For PCR itself, false positives are practically impossible except for contamination, and contamination is less likely the less virus there is around generally. One difficulty of measuring FP at such levels is the lack of a ground truth against which to compare, except for banked pre-covid blood. That's also a difficulty of measuring the FN rate of lateral flow testing, of course.

--AS
    That is my understanding - but I cannot understand why all the lateral flow positives are required to have a PCR. We have the capacity.
  • Options
    RIP Nichomar. Sad news indeed.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2021
    I hadn't realised it but the government are spending £2.8bn on lateral flow tests this year. It seems like a complete and utter waste of money given how well the vaccine programme is going. We should be in a position to cut the testing system down to maybe 10% of what it is today in just a few months, I don't understand why so much has been budgeted for it and at the same time why the government is claiming poverty on pay rises for NHS staff. There is a serious lack of joined up thinking at the Treasury on basically everything.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Weren't we assured by various euphiles on here that the whole thing was just for monitoring and they wouldn't be using the permission system to block exports? Have any of those people apologised for being wrong?
    Yeah I'm in that camp too, I didn't think they'd be idiotic enough to actually do it, I'd still be shocked if they ban exports to the UK given how heavily reliant the Pfizer production process is on UK exports but now I wouldn't rule it out.

This is exactly the the kind of misstep that the UK should be seizing on with low CT rates and generous long term investment allowances. Instead we're putting taxes up and limited allowances to just two years.
    Well, I must admit that - given the hostility between the UK and the EU - I though that if it did happen, then it would be the UK which would be affected. Australia is a particular surprise.

It's also been done (as has much in EU-land of late) in the most cack-handed way possible.

If the EU had called up Australia, it could probably have cut a deal with them. Australia isn't going to be opening up its borders any time soon, and they could probably have been bought off one way or another. (Indeed, Scott Morrison made noises to that extent.)
    I wonder if Mario Draghi's experience dealing with the banking sector as a public official may have given him some strange ideas about how to operate. Talking about 'suffocating' them when the constraint is production capacity is crazy.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kle4 said:

Hey! I liked Suits. I think the Royals is a bit too melodramatic even by comparison.
    Suits is certainly more grounded and believable.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,517
    Should the Tories be worried? Not sure. The position is that at the latter part of a pandemic with public finances shot to bits and a dodgy Brexit we have a PM who, according to the figures in the article is thought to be:

Incompetent
    Indecisive
    Untrustworthy
    and Weak
    though marginally
    Likeable.

That party is in the lead in almost every poll, and has taken over from Labour as the party of the non big-city working class, and remains the party of rural England. Anyone can name four or five thinkable successors to Boris. It is hard to name a Labour successor who could beat any of them in a fight. A top tier of Labour heavy hitters are out of the fight. There have been few sightings a new generation of Browns, Blairs, Smiths and - remember him? - Goulds.

No. Labour should look at the numbers and worry.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    If there is a *shown* increase in cases (False positive or simply picking up more true positives) due to more LFTs, it should show up as a 1 off blip and then decrease again.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,034
    edited March 2021
    HYUFD said:
    Looking at that photo I've realised why Meghan slightly unnerves me, even as I am compelled to look at her. She is the spitting image of a young girlfriend I had about 20 years ago, who I loved very much but who went on to break my heart. Like Meghan she was mixed race (in her case Indian, Jewish, Portuguese, English), like Meghan she was strikingly beautiful.

It is remarkable, the power of female beauty, over men.

And maybe that's why I also sympathise with Harry

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Very sad day.

RIP Nichobar. Sad news.
    Very sad indeed. RIP!

Very sad news.
    One down for the LibDem contingent I think.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

--AS

I am quoting the government's own estimate of false positives for lateral flow tests, which is 0.31%, so an extra 300,000 tests conducted compared to the same day last week would generate another 900 false positives, and so the case fall looks like 13% rather than the reality of more like 30%.

False positives are a fact of life for any test no matter how many childish swear words you want to bring out.
    The stats for lateral flow tests for school kids should be shown in stats as a separate column. Millions of tests. Done by amateurs. Some are going to be false +.
    I doubt they're in the figures today; only 800,000 tests were done for our current case load; it was higher on three days last week. The average over the last fortnight has been just short of 700,000.
    I was told by my wife (who is volunteering to administer them at school) that the LTF will not show on the UK figures for number of tests taken.

A positive result WILL show when the positive LTF goes on to become a positive PCR.
    Well that eliminates any worries about 'false positives', the FP rate from PCR tests is nil except if the lab screws up and contaminates a sample.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

This is very troubling.

Labour has been found guilty of being a racist party, now Keir Starmer wants to investigate possible racism and that is the wrong thing to do? He didn't say anyone was racist, he just called for an objective investigation.

Surely this is exactly the right lesson to have learned from the Corbyn era, he can't win
    You've spotted this. :smile:

If we lean left economically - Same old Labour. Generous with OPM till it runs out.
    If we don't - What are Labour for?
    If we stand up for progressive values - Labour sneering at the traditional working class.
    If we oppose this Tory government on the pandemic - Labour playing politics.

The risk is we end up a dog chasing its own tail. A dog, furthermore, denuded of confidence by reading too much into GE19 and too little into GE17.

So for me, it's too late to change tack on the pandemic, but let's start asserting ourselves and owning our story on the other 2 areas. It's time to put a rocket up our own arse.

I want to see an imaginative and strong left economic offering. Contemporary not Corbynite redux. And I want to see us be strong on progressive values with no hint of an apology for it. They are great values. They are our values. Let's argue for them.

We take that "What are Labour for?" completely out of the equation and we counter those remaining and dreary old chestnut Tory attack lines of "Spendthrift" and "Sneery" with gusto and emotional and intellectual honesty. We treat the voters with respect.

In particular we explain, in whatever way works best in this dumbed down Britain that the "Boris" brand and its Brexit populism has created and is exploiting to the hilt, how our policies will materially and sustainably improve the lives of all these people we are supposedly sneering at, when the Tories offer nothing but cheap thrills.

Win or lose with a purpose.
  • Options
    Nichochar said:

Hi all, apologies for crashing your thread.

I’m Nichomar’s daughter - never actually noticed the Nichomar/Nichochar thing before.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to those who posted condolences on hearing the news about Dad.
    I knew my dad loved a bit of political debate, but I had no idea he’d become part of such an online community.

You would have all provided him with much-needed companionship and healthy conversation, particularly in the past year when the cancer and the situation with COVID prevented him getting out and about so much and meant we weren’t able to visit.
    Thank you all. I wish you all well.
    Take care.

Very sorry for your loss, and glad that we could provide your father with some companionship when he needed it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

This is very troubling.

Labour has been found guilty of being a racist party, now Keir Starmer wants to investigate possible racism and that is the wrong thing to do? He didn't say anyone was racist, he just called for an objective investigation.

Surely this is exactly the right lesson to have learned from the Corbyn era, he can't win

If we lean left economically - Same old Labour. Generous with OPM till it runs out.
    If we stand up for progressive values - Labour sneering at the traditional working class.

The risk is we end up a dog chasing its own tail. A dog, furthermore, denuded of confidence by reading too much into GE19 and too little into GE17.

So for me, it's too late to change tack on the pandemic, but let's start asserting ourselves and owning our story on the other 2 areas. It's time to put a rocket up our own arse.

I want to see an imaginative and strong left economic offering. Contemporary not Corbynite redux. And I want to see us be strong on progressive values with no hint of an apology for it. They are great values. They are our values. Let's argue for them.

We take that "What are Labour for?" completely out of the equation and we counter those remaining and dreary old chestnut Tory attack lines of "Spendthrift" and "Sneery" with gusto and emotional and intellectual honesty. We treat the voters with respect.

In particular we explain, in whatever way works best in this dumbed down Britain that the "Boris" brand and its Brexit populism has created and is exploiting to the hilt, how our policies will materially and sustainably improve the lives of all these people we are supposedly sneering at, when the Tories offer nothing but cheap thrills.

Not sure spendthrift has quite the power it once had.
  • Options
    A suggestion in a Whatsapp Group that the Sussexes should lose their titles. It does seem odd that they hold on to them, given that they regard the entire institution of the royal family as bigoted, cruel and exclusive

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Very sad day.

RIP Nichobar. Sad news.
    Very sad indeed. RIP!

Very sad news.
    Wasn't he also a carer for his wife? Sad to learn of his demise.

• Options
    Leon said:

A suggestion in a Whatsapp Group that the Sussexes should lose their titles. It does seem odd that they hold on to them, given that they regard the entire institution of the royal family as bigoted, cruel and exclusive

Have they not given them up voluntarily yet ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Younger son, who lives in Bangkok does quite a lot of business with Australia.Last time we spoke, at the weekend, he was talking about maybe being able to go there soon.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nichochar said:

I’m Nichomar’s daughter - never actually noticed the Nichomar/Nichochar thing before.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to those who posted condolences on hearing the news about Dad.
    I knew my dad loved a bit of political debate, but I had no idea he’d become part of such an online community.

You would have all provided him with much-needed companionship and healthy conversation, particularly in the past year when the cancer and the situation with COVID prevented him getting out and about so much and meant we weren’t able to visit.
    Take care.

No - thank your father, talking with him here was very much our pleasure. He was a good man, take care of yourself and your family and my very sincerest condolences.
    Hear, hear. It must have been a dreadful time.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    And yet I still wait for my Group 6 jab...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

I wonder if Mario Draghi's experience dealing with the banking sector as a public official may have given him some strange ideas about how to operate. Talking about 'suffocating' them when the constraint is production capacity is crazy.
    It's an especially crass term given the nature of the disease we're dealing with.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,561
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    Looking at that photo I've realised why Meghan slightly unnerves me, even as I am compelled to look at her. She is the spitting image of a young girlfriend I had about 20 years ago, who I loved very much but who went on to break my heart. Like Meghan she was mixed race (in her case Indian, Jewish, Portuguese, English), like Meghan she was strikingly beautiful.

It makes you wonder how much of world history over the millennia has been actuated by female beauty and the pursuit of it by powerful men.
  • Options
    Very sad news about Nichomar - I knew that he had been receiving treatment, obviously awful to hear that he didn't make it.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

17 million viewers only? The Sussex camp and TV anchors were talking 100 million this morning!

The Superbowl got 96 million viewers in February
    https://www.nfl.com/news/super-bowl-lv-draws-audience-of-96-4-million-viewers
    To be fair, it did air at 11pm on the East coast, so there will be a lot of catch up viewing today.

Also, it's not the Superbowl.
    No it didn’t: it aired 8pm - 10pm Eastern. Didn’t you know that most things get shown in Eastern/Central first then rebroadcast in Mountain/Pacific two hours later?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Stocky said:

Very sad day.

RIP Nichobar. Sad news.
    Very sad indeed. RIP!

Very sad news.
    Yes he was - his only fault. Hope he'd appreciate the levity.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Leon said:

You know, we could have a system where one's standing and title is determined by some sort of popular vote...

Nah, that would never work.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

It makes you wonder how much of world history over the millennia has been actuated by female beauty and the pursuit of it by powerful men.
    Pretty much most of it, I reckon
  • Options
    Opening up to over 55s to book implies a decent amount of supply in the coming weeks I think.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Was this the face that launched a thousand ships
    and burnt the topless towers of Ilium?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,561
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

It's why I think it's a good thing when the people in charge aren't particularly physically attractive, as was the case with for instance John Major and George HW Bush and their wives. It shows a society has managed to move on from that stage.
  • Options

This is very troubling.

The allegation is that a Royal individual said something offensive to Meghan. So let's say the investigator finds that indeed, a Royal individual did say something offensive to Meghan. Then what? What is the happy outcome that is achieved? It's not a very clever suggestion, and worse, it's never going to be seen as a very clever suggestion.

What it tells me is that Starmer's republican sentiments actually probably go quite deep, which is interesting. He's always seemed quite non-ideological.

• Options
    Stocky said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

--AS

Leon said:

Yeah the way to show the Royal Family isn't bigoted is to keep Andrew as a Prince but strip the black girl who dared to speak up of her title.

That will show em.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

It's why I think it's a good thing when the people in charge aren't particularly attractive, as was the case with for instance John Major and George HW Bush and their wives. It shows a society has managed to move on from that stage.
    We could go back to eunuchs being officials?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    FPT:
    GIN1138 said:

So it wasn't Prince Philip nor the Queen who were behind the comments on the skin colour of Archie.

How do we know?
    Operah is doing morning television and said H wanted to make it clear it wasn't his grandmother and grandfather,
    Harry has two sets of grandparents, and he only used the singlular. He might have been referring to the Spencers (both of whom are dead, so obviously WOULDN'T have been able to refer to skin colour).
    Maybe he's being very very sneaky.

*checks notes* I think the Hewitts are dead too, just to cover all bases (*Ducks and runs*)
  • Options

This is very troubling.

The allegation is that a Royal individual said something offensive to Meghan. So let's say the investigator finds that indeed, a Royal individual did say something offensive to Meghan. Then what? What is the happy outcome that is achieved? It's not a very clever suggestion, and worse, it's never going to be seen as a very clever suggestion.

What it tells me is that Starmer's republican sentiments actually probably go quite deep, which is interesting. He's always seemed quite non-ideological.

How about an apology?

They can go a long way. And be a learning experience to stop this happening again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Badging yourself "Sussex Royal" does suggest a slight ambivalence about them. I'd be more impressed if they said Feck yer dukedom, we're plain Mr and Mrs Mountbatten Markle from here on in.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

--AS

Well that eliminates any worries about 'false positives', the FP rate from PCR tests is nil except if the lab screws up and contaminates a sample.
    That`s assuming my wife is correct, of course (I daren`t question her).

My concern when I heard this was that people my freak about a sudden rise, post-school opening, in new infections without realising that this wouldn`t imply an increase in the positivity rate.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Evening all :)

Just noticed my two local primary schools aren't going back until tomorrow which might explain the queue outside the school outfitter's this lunchtime.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

It's why I think it's a good thing when the people in charge aren't particularly attractive, as was the case with for instance John Major and George HW Bush and their wives. It shows a society has managed to move on from that stage.
    We could go back to eunuchs being officials?
    Didn't POTUS #45 already test THAT strategy? WIth less-than-stellar results!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Nichochar said:

Take care.

Deepest condolences.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Just called 119 again. Apparently my GP surgery should have allocated my NHS number to Group 6 to allow me to book online but if it's not working it means they haven't.

I'm absolutely furious because I was told by my GP in early February that it was all set up. They are total waste of spaces.

I'm going to have to keep it together when I call them tomorrow...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Speaking as someone 'from' West Sussex, nevertheless I've always found the title of Duke and Duchess of Sussex sounded a bit fake and a had a hint of tackiness about it (to me). This is not the fault of the couple of course, I don't know how they assigned the county. Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their son Archie sounds a bit like what a Hollywood scriptwriter with not very good research would call an aristocratic family.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

--AS

That`s assuming my wife is correct, of course (I daren`t question her).

My concern when I heard this was that people my freak about a sudden rise, post-school opening, in new infections without realising that this wouldn`t imply an increase in the positivity rate.
    It sounds sensible, basically we should catch more true positives with this approach which will give us some of the most honest figures in the world* but will help us stamp out the actual virus.

* Mexico, Syria, Brazil and a whole host of other places are nowhere near correct actual covid cases
  • Options

Just called 119 again. Apparently my GP surgery should have allocated my NHS number to Group 6 to allow me to book online but if it's not working it means they haven't.

I'm absolutely furious because I was told by my GP in early February that it was all set up. They are total waste of spaces.

Hmm looks like my suspicion of GP surgery incompetence wasn't wrong :|
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Badging yourself "Sussex Royal" does suggest a slight ambivalence about them. I'd be more impressed if they said Feck yer dukedom, we're plain Mr and Mrs Mountbatten Markle from here on in.
    I think they can drop the Mountbatten bit, if they're being truthful.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They told me on the phone in February that they had looked at my records and that I was in Group 6. I had a suspicion that they were just palming me off and clearly they were.

Begs belief. GP surgeries are just crap. I've been with at least 6 of them in my life and they've all been crap.
  • Options

Good luck the call.
  • Options

This is very troubling.

How about an apology?

They can go a long way. And be a learning experience to stop this happening again.
    I am flabbergasted at the utterly insupportable pish you go in for sometimes. You actually think we should have an official investigation into whether a snarky Royal once said something off-colour to Meghan Markle? I mean really. REALLY? How does that remotely accord to respect for the taxpayer, proportionality in the justice system, actual real people having actual real problems?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

FPT:

GIN1138 said:

So it wasn't Prince Philip nor the Queen who were behind the comments on the skin colour of Archie.

How do we know?
    Operah is doing morning television and said H wanted to make it clear it wasn't his grandmother and grandfather,
    Harry has two sets of grandparents, and he only used the singlular. He might have been referring to the Spencers (both of whom are dead, so obviously WOULDN'T have been able to refer to skin colour).
    Maybe he's being very very sneaky.

*checks notes* I think the Hewitts are dead too, just to cover all bases (*Ducks and runs*)
    Not sure his mother is:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/princess-dianas-ex-james-hewitt-19984345
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,494
    TimT said:

Nichochar said:

Take care.

Deepest condolences.
    I hadn't heard the news. Of course my best wishes for you all.

No problem, all threads are currently crashed by certain Windsor personages :smile: .

Make the memories good ones; I lost my mum just before we locked down and I now need to think about remembering long-term.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Pulpstar said:

Good luck GG. Your call of course but I suggest you’ll get a better outcome if you keep it calm and polite.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

This is very troubling.

How about an apology?

I am flabbergasted at the utterly insupportable pish you go in for sometimes. You actually think we should have an official investigation into whether a snarky Royal once said something off-colour to Meghan Markle? I mean really. REALLY? How does that remotely accord to respect for the taxpayer, proportionality in the justice system, actual real people having actual real problems?
    I didn't call for an investigation.

I answered what could come out of the investigation if one was held. An apology could help put things behind for everyone and rebuild respect.

But I don't give a damn if an investigation happens or not.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited March 2021

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

Good luck GG. Your call of course but I suggest you’ll get a better outcome if you keep it calm and polite.
    I will be calm and polite, but its frustrating constantly being palmed off by receptionists who always treat you as an inconvenience.
    In my experience, even when you stay calm and polite if you dare to challenge them over any error they become shouty and abusive. I was told, after one receptionist swore at me for daring to ask why a repeat prescription had been sent to the wrong pharmacy twice, that it’s to invoke their ‘difficult patient policy’ which enables them to escalate.

Can’t help but feel if it would be better just to point out the error, keeping it brief, and follow it up in writing if you want to.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @nichomar @Nichochar

I am very sorry to hear that news.
    We had some interesting cats and he was a great poster.
    I used to enjoy picturing him on the veranda in the sun.
    Thank you for telling us and all the best wishes in the world.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

I will be calm and polite, but its frustrating constantly being palmed off by receptionists who always treat you as an inconvenience.
    Sadly not an uncommon experience. I always try to be calm with admin staff, as I have been in that position and they often are not given enough resources, but often enough to be a trend when I speak to GP or NHS staff they cannot disguise how much they regard your call as an inconvenience, even when it is correcting an error.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Neither of them is actually related to the royal family, after all?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262

Stocky said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

--AS

Leon said:

Yeah the way to show the Royal Family isn't bigoted is to keep Andrew as a Prince but strip the black girl who dared to speak up of her title.

That will show em.
    Mixed race girl! Her dad is white!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    moonshine said:

Pulpstar said:

And even better if you can manage to have a light hearted side conversation to bring a bit of interest to what is a boring and repetitive job.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    Nichochar said:

Take care.

My sincere condolences. I had no idea he was ill, so sorry he didn't make it.
  • Options
    Slight change of subject, but maybe welcome

Speaking of ex girlfriends I went to the DeepNostalgia machine to animate the photo of another ex girlfriend. The result is, literally, haunting. It is her youthful self returned to life (she's not actually dead but she's ten years older). I had no videos of her from then, now I do

Try it. Mesmerising. Spellbinding.

https://www.myheritage.com/deep-nostalgia
  • Options
    I've emailed the IBD nursing team at my hospital about it too. Hopefully they can offer some advice or even call the GP surgery on my behalf.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

This is very troubling.

It shouldn't, should it?

But I expect plenty of "We are spending loads and yet Labour want to spend MORE!"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Max - can you point me at a ref for the Pfizer process involving UK facilities?

Thanks

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    dixiedean said:

54 year old searches for "Not like" button. :)
    My 45 year old wife just got invited but we think it’s because she has mild asthma
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Neither of them is actually related to the royal family, after all?
    I don't know. The issues surrounding his paternity must have been another cross for Harry to bear while growing up (and we don't know and have no business asking what the truth is and whether he now knows it). I feel desperately sorry for him and am beginning to think the best argument for abolishing the monarchy, is in their own interest.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

dixiedean said:

54 year old searches for "Not like" button. :)
    My 45 year old wife just got invited but we think it’s because she has mild asthma
    Is she able to book online via the NHS website, or was the appointment handled by her GP?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    Do we have an estimate of the level needed for herd immunity, given the more transmissible variants? Was 80% talked about for wild type?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

This is very troubling.

Personally I'd settle for a .. er .. *New* Labour.

Starting off with the TU link gone.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,731

I've emailed the IBD nursing team at my hospital about it too. Hopefully they can offer some advice or even call the GP surgery on my behalf.

Potentially just ask them to add your NHS number to the national group 6 list so you can book outside your GP's surgery. (Assuming that they can do that, but I don't see why not - they presumably have confirmation of your NHS number and know that you are eligible to be in Group 6)
  • Options
    More problems for the SNP

SNP staffer accuses two MPs of sexual harassment https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/uk-politics/2955514/snp-complaint/
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

I think sadly that group 6 is the area where things have been fudged. I have a family member with a very rare immune disorder which isn’t on the easy computer tick list for priority. Their consultant said “make sure your gp gets you on the priority list”.

All the GP said was “oh I don’t know anything about the vaccines, it’s nothing to do with me. Email this random email address”.

Email address: < we have received your message please do no reply to this address >

MP: no answer
  • Options
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Pleased to see the Covid case rate is still going down at a rapid rate - from 69.0 per 100k yesterday to 65.1 today - and the death count in double figures again. Of course, as far as the cases go it'll probably only be a day or two before the little Plague spreaders reignite the whole dumpster fire, but we can enjoy it whilst it lasts.

Total hospital patients still just under 11k - looks like England is keeping up to date but rest of country taking its time reporting, so updated UK totals haven't been reported since last Thursday.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Evening again all :)

Really terrible news re @nichomar - condolences to the family.
This discussion has been closed.