Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump now 22% favourite to be the WH2024 Republican nominee – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,680
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Also... when is the UK going to approve Novavax? We have a big order for it. It's completed Phase 3 with excellent efficacy. And it's not going to be approved in the US until May, so we might have the opportunity to get a couple of months of supply before anyone else.

They're in a rolling review process like Pfizer so it could be another couple of weeks.
    With that approved, and the first Moderna shots arriving, the UK really should be in a position to ramp up numbers more, and get CV19 largely eradicated by the end of April.

Yes, I've been saying that for weeks. Novavax and Moderna are the way out of this for the UK, we should be getting an extra 2-3m in supply per week of both put together, that's in addition to the 5m of AZ and Pfizer we're expecting per week for most of March. Even if Pfizer starts to ramp down the other two will ramp up and we'll smash these targets.
    Am I right in thinking that the UK still only has Pfizer and AZ approved at the moment?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Sturgeon's allegeded ministerial code breaches are of an entirely different order to those supposed of Patel. Patel may have been a stupid bully; Sturgeon may have gone rather more gangster.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

The credible explanation is that local people in Newham are rejecting the vaccine. Hardly surprising given the demographics of the place.

It may be "credible" but that doesn't make it so. I've only quoted the figures from the Government's own website throughout all this. As there are no figures to show how many have contacted, we can't know how much of this is "refusal" or inability to make contact or whatever.

I'd offer the thought language may be an issue especially in Newham - as to whether cultural refusal is especially prevalent in this area, that's your conclusion, I'm not sure it's mine.

There is evidence from other vaccination drives that the uptake is extremely low, quite possibly the lowest in the country. This is not unique to the coronavirus vaccination program.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I agree with Nick.

PB Tories getting overexcited as per.

Nobody understands the Sturgeon story.

Even fewer people care.

I am no friend of Sturgeon but this story will be completely overwhelmed by the Budget tomorrow.
    That may have been the hope on timing. But this has got legs. (And the Scottish Parliament's budget isn't until next week.)
    Last year, Kate Forbes had to step in and present the Scottish budget at short notice following Derek Mackay’s misdemeanours. This year could someone else have to step in with Kate Forbes being appointed acting FM if Sturgeon and Swinney have to resign?
    I can't see it myself. People don't resign out of shame any more. Brazen it out is the contemporary fashion.
    And tribalism is so high, it works.
    So Trump isn't gonna fall on his sword then?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Foxy said:

I agree with Nick.

PB Tories getting overexcited as per.

Nobody understands the Sturgeon story.

Even fewer people care.

I am no friend of Sturgeon but this story will be completely overwhelmed by the Budget tomorrow.
    That may have been the hope on timing. But this has got legs. (And the Scottish Parliament's budget isn't until next week.)
    Last year, Kate Forbes had to step in and present the Scottish budget at short notice following Derek Mackay’s misdemeanours. This year could someone else have to step in with Kate Forbes being appointed acting FM if Sturgeon and Swinney have to resign?
    I can't see it myself. People don't resign out of shame any more. Brazen it out is the contemporary fashion.
    I suppose it depends on how heavily the evidence stacks up against Sturgeon. If it becomes overwhelming enough then the Greens' decision to threaten to no confidence Swinney suggests that they may be willing to vote to bring down the whole Government (because to do otherwise would vindicate the sock puppet accusation.) Then all bets would be off.

But we're a long way from that point. Chances are she toughs it out, the Greens back her and the Unionist parties try to use the controversy to help persuade the Scottish electorate to vote Sturgeon out of power instead.

I'm not sure that I fancy said Unionists' chances of success. Too many people in Scotland want independence for the SNP's position as the natural party of Government to be seriously imperilled, regardless of who the leader is.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Also... when is the UK going to approve Novavax? We have a big order for it. It's completed Phase 3 with excellent efficacy. And it's not going to be approved in the US until May, so we might have the opportunity to get a couple of months of supply before anyone else.

They're in a rolling review process like Pfizer so it could be another couple of weeks.
    With that approved, and the first Moderna shots arriving, the UK really should be in a position to ramp up numbers more, and get CV19 largely eradicated by the end of April.

Yes, I've been saying that for weeks. Novavax and Moderna are the way out of this for the UK, we should be getting an extra 2-3m in supply per week of both put together, that's in addition to the 5m of AZ and Pfizer we're expecting per week for most of March. Even if Pfizer starts to ramp down the other two will ramp up and we'll smash these targets.
    Am I right in thinking that the UK still only has Pfizer and AZ approved at the moment?
    Moderna was approved as the third (at the time) back in early January:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55586410
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    edited March 2021

Besides anything else, the French authorities have only raised the upper age limit, not abolished it.

If they don't consider AZ to be inferior then why is it not recommended for the over 75s? And if they do consider AZ to be inferior then can they blame some people for being picky, turning their noses up at it and waiting for something better to come along?
    If I had 5 million AZ doses and 5 million Pfizer ones and 10 million people, then I'd give the Pfizer doses to the oldies, and the AZ ones to the younger cohorts. This would not be so much about efficacy, but the fact that it takes longer to get full protection with AZ compare to Pfizer.

This would be a perfectly sensible risk segmentation exercise, and very different to the "quasi ineffective" bullshit line from Macron.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Besides anything else, the French authorities have only raised the upper age limit, not abolished it.

If they don't consider AZ to be inferior then why is it not recommended for the over 75s? And if they do consider AZ to be inferior then can they blame some people for being picky, turning their noses up at it and waiting for something better to come along?
    If I had 5 million AZ doses and 5 million Pfizer ones and 10 million people, then I'd give the Pfizer doses to the oldies, and the AZ ones to the younger cohorts. This would not be so much about efficacy, but the fact that it takes longer to get full protection with AZ compare to Pfizer.

This would be a perfectly sensible risk segmentation exercise, and very different to the "quasi ineffective" bullshit line from Macron.
    But what if you simultaneously wanted to stick two fingers up to the Brits?
  • Options
    Leon said:

RobD said:

I've been searching Handelsblatt's website.

I was uselessly hoping for some retraction, apology, or even the slightest show of regret for their irresponsible and ignorant AZ coverage a month or so back. Or maybe an unapologetic promotion of the AZ vaccine's recently reported figures. Perhaps a suggestion that the UK delayed second dose might be the way to go.

But no. No mention of AZ or the "UK method" that I can see.

Let me know if you spot anything here..
    https://www.handelsblatt.com/themen/coronavirus

Did you check the reporter's twitter feed? Maybe the mea culpa was on there (although I doubt it).
    I check it now and then and he (washingtonski) doesn't appear to have made any concession at all...

Just checked again and he has still not referred to his earlier story, nor any of the data refuting it.
    I doubt he thinks he did anything wrong. Like a good lap dog reporter he placed the story he was briefed and it did the job. It was always nonsense and even more so so now with real world data. But that wasn’t the point.
    His Fake News story has undoubtedly consigned thousands of Europeans to an early and unnecessary grave. German media are shameless and appalling
    Worth noting that Bildt has been rather more flattering about the UK.
  • Options
    If anybody does happen to feel sorry for Sturgeon through all of this, I'm sure she'll be able to get a gig on Russia Today whatever happens.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    edited March 2021

It looks v bad for the SNP.

But, Sturgeon may yet pull off a blinder tomorrow, and the London press will be focused on Rishi’s Austerity 2.0.

It all might be a bit clearer in 24 hours.

This is a rare case where a Budget is certainly equalled, if not overshadowed

Sturgeon V Salmond is now the juiciest political scandal of my lifetime. A serving First Minister of a UK nation conspired to jail, and ruin, her former friend, mentor and fellow First Minister. On sex charges. Attempted rape.

And she conspired with the law, police, and witnesses to do this. And then they tried to cover it up, and they did so by using all the Offices of State, and they are, even now, attempting to obstruct justice. And the latest evidence seriously implies she is guilty. And the outcome will, to an extent, decide the future of the entire United Kingdom, one of the great powers of the world

I have not seen the like. Indeed I am not sure I can remember anything as bad as this in any western democracy for a couple of decades. I am sure others can think of others. I can't.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,145
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

What often gets forgotten is that AZ is an Anglo-Swedish company.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

https://twitter.com/Annaisaac/status/1366827290634694659

Add these to the Moderna doses and we should be ready to get a serious shift on

The Serum Institute of India is also going to producing 400 million shots of Novavax this year, where the UK also has a big order.

Can't we persuade those of south Asian heritage that it is fine to have this one at least - as it comes from India?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWd9a8Ck8U
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Ah right, thanks - presume we just haven't had any supplies of it yet.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

I was uselessly hoping for some retraction, apology, or even the slightest show of regret for their irresponsible and ignorant AZ coverage a month or so back. Or maybe an unapologetic promotion of the AZ vaccine's recently reported figures. Perhaps a suggestion that the UK delayed second dose might be the way to go.

Did you check the reporter's twitter feed? Maybe the mea culpa was on there (although I doubt it).
    I check it now and then and he (washingtonski) doesn't appear to have made any concession at all...

Just checked again and he has still not referred to his earlier story, nor any of the data refuting it.
    I doubt he thinks he did anything wrong. Like a good lap dog reporter he placed the story he was briefed and it did the job. It was always nonsense and even more so so now with real world data. But that wasn’t the point.
    His Fake News story has undoubtedly consigned thousands of Europeans to an early and unnecessary grave. German media are shameless and appalling
    That is a rare positive from the German press. What a shame they didn't have either the integrity or stastistical nous to challenge Handelsblatt's nonsense.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

Looking at Shadsy's bonus fund, I got tempted for a quid on "Make Britain Great Again" and a couple on "Coke".

I think it's a shame all Chancellor's are boring and drink water at the Budget now.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

There is no Sturgeon exit date market is there? I can only see one for Boris and Starmer. Her position is looking increasingly perilous.

Even if she somehow survives, she is finished as a politician in the medium term. No one can sustain this much damage to their political reputation, and prosper. Not even in Zimbabwe, sorry, Scotland
    The closest world event to this is Putin locking up Navalny. It's off the scale in terms of fucked up IMO.
    It beggars belief. It is Boris conspiring to jail Starmer, with Carrie and the Met Police and the CPS and the Attorney General all in on the plan, and apparently happy to go along, even when the hired QCs say No, Stop, this is totally illegal.

Scotland is better than this. Or it should be
    Well, when you put it like that... Mmm. As someone pretty into politics generally but only slightly into Scottish affairs, I'm not convinced this will force a resignation - X who I've never heard of may have discussed Y with Z on date A and maybe Sturgeon has conveniently "forgotten". It sounds messy and technical, and the Tories rushing out a VONC makes me think it's some kind of party squabble. I can see from other posts here that it's actually very serious, but I think the lay voter, who thinks that all politicians lie from time to time, will just shake his head bemusedly.
    Just seen the new Labour leader on Ch 4 News. A very reasonable and impressive woman. A nice change from the last few who were above all else opportunists. My guess is Nicola will walk through this her reputation intact. The desperation of the Tories (more English ones than Scottish) tells you how much they fear her
    You know, Rog, when you get the leader of a party completely wrong, including his gender, it is probably time to shut up shop with the politics, and restrict your comments to movie soundtracks
    Before you make a complete arse of yourself, Roger was talking about the Deputy leader of the Labour MSPs on Ch4 news.

Still I remember an idiot on here tried to say that the father of Kamala Harris wasn't a black dude.
    Nah, he thought Baillie was the leader. Perhaps, however, it an understandable mistake for an elderly retiree, as she SHOULD have been leader. She is much more impressive than Sarwar

God, I know too much about Scottish politics. I long for the day when I can ignore it again. Once this FANTASTICALLY juicy scandal has played out
    Sorry TSE is correct. I was talking about Mm Baillie. I'm at least a week out of date. How embarrassing. But MSP Baillie WAS impressive. Maybe they chose unwisely?
    It wasn't unwisely...she is the wrong gender for labour simple as that
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I think that's correct. I don't know when they are expected.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956

I'm not sure that I fancy said Unionists' chances of success. Too many people in Scotland want independence for the SNP's position as the natural party of Government to be seriously imperilled, regardless of who the leader is.

That assumes the Eck wing don't stand a slate of candidates against the Nippy faithful
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

One finger. It's the Brits that do the two fingered thing.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited March 2021
    LOL!

Being in a pandemic hasn't stopped Nicola harping on about independence morning, noon and bloody night! :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

The overriding point is (as said downthread) in the UK a journalist that ran this outrageously and harmfully false story - AZ is just 8% effective in over 65s! - would by now be working for Deliveroo, and, probably, his editor, too

Piers Morgan, the Mirror editor, had to resign for a fake news story about British soldiers, a story which probably killed no one. The News of The World was closed down for some shady behaviour over voice messaging. These guys in Germany haven't even fucking APOLOGISED, and what they have done is far far worse. Sowing doubt about a perfectly acceptable vaccine into an already worried population enduring a pandemic.

Whenever you hear people lamenting the British media, remember this episode
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    7 day average seems to have been hovering around 20k there for months, but definitely a tickup.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

I was on board with this as a bit of fun, but the West Country as the American South? No
    https://twitter.com/MilkmanMeme/status/1365719234567950336

Wales as California is baffling. They would appear to have zero in common.

I'd say South Wales was West Virginia, North & West Wales was Maine & Vermont.

N. Ireland as Alaska is good.

Presumably Scotland is Canada.
    Really?

History of resource extraction.
    Some skiing, but not the best on the island.
    Long, attractive coast.
    Funny accents.
    Politics dominated by the left.
    Terrible public transport.

They seem pretty similar to me.
    It rains quite a bit in the Bay Area doesn't it?

Not sure why Leics is Idaho, unless it's because of all the Indians...🤔
    They seem to only mention the ones where LDs are doing slightly less horrifically than elsewhere. Here in the North East Midlands they wiped themselves out like gonorrhea dosed with an antibiotic.

You are honorary thick northern racists, and the State is a random leftover.

Derbyshire is, I think, Wyoming.

The best thing about Wyoming is the space and the state trust fund.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Leon said:

But, Sturgeon may yet pull off a blinder tomorrow, and the London press will be focused on Rishi’s Austerity 2.0.

Sturgeon V Salmond is now the juiciest political scandal of my lifetime. A serving First Minister of a UK nation conspired to jail, and ruin, her former friend, mentor and fellow First Minister. On sex charges. Attempted rape.

And she conspired with the law, police, and witnesses to do this. And then they tried to cover it up, and they did so by using all the Offices of State, and they are, even now, attempting to obstruct justice. And the latest evidence seriously implies she is guilty. And the outcome will, to an extent, decide the future of the entire United Kingdom, one of the great powers of the world

I have not seen the like. Indeed I am not sure I can remember anything as bad as this in any western democracy for a couple of decades. I am sure others can think of others. I can't.

I am glad I am not a politician - I don't have the killer instinct. It feels like the end, certainly of this phase of Sturgeon's career, and I feel pretty sorry for her. I genuinely hope she can move through this and find a niche for her considerable skills somewhere else. The trouble is if she goes down in a blaze of scandal it makes it difficult, at least in the short term, to get a job as a UN goodwill ambassador or similar.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

The overriding point is (as said downthread) in the UK a journalist that ran this outrageously and harmfully false story - AZ is just 8% effective in over 65s! - would by now be working for Deliveroo, and, probably, his editor, too

Piers Morgan, the Mirror editor, had to resign for a fake news story about British soldiers, a story which probably killed no one. The News of The World was closed down for some shady behaviour over voice messaging. These guys in Germany haven't even fucking APOLOGISED, and what they have done is far far worse. Sowing doubt about a perfectly acceptable vaccine into an already worried population enduring a pandemic.

UK journos run stories like that every day. The Indy makes them up, and all the others go "it has been reported...".
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Leon said:

Off topic, but you were asking a thread or three back about TV shows: I've been watching The Brokenwood Mysteries, best described as Midsomer Murders in New Zealand. They are fairly gentle but a good cast with lots of recurring characters: suspects in one murder will often appear in multiple later episodes (and occasionally as suspects again).
    The only real problem is that there are not very many of them: seven series (I think) of four episodes, though each episode is an hour and a half.

Back on topic: do you remember the Thorpe trial? Not as significant in some ways, but quite a story.
  • Options
    Question for PB legal eagles.

Is the Holyrood Committee equivalent to a court of law? ie, if Sturgeon commits proven perjury tomorrow, would she face the same - or any - legal consequence?
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Apparently the first shots have arrived from Lonza in Switzerland.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,356

Leon said:

I am glad I am not a politician - I don't have the killer instinct. It feels like the end, certainly of this phase of Sturgeon's career, and I feel pretty sorry for her. I genuinely hope she can move through this and find a niche for her considerable skills somewhere else. The trouble is if she goes down in a blaze of scandal it makes it difficult, at least in the short term, to get a job as a UN goodwill ambassador or similar.
    Sarkozy just been sentenced to three yrs but spending 0 mins in jail...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Can SKS fans explain

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (+3)
    LAB: 36% (-2)
    LDEM: 7% (-)
    GRN: 3% (-)

via
    @SavantaComRes
    , 26 - 28 Feb
    Chgs. w/ 21 Feb

Not a SKS fan but a vaccine bounce.
    I think theres no problem with calling it a vaccine bounce as long as you acknowledge the gap only closed in the first place because of a ‘Covid slump’
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Out of interest, what's your source for 'the fact that it takes longer to get full protection with AZ compare to Pfizer'.

It's not that I am doubting you, I am just interested.
  • Options
    The UK and US vaccination trajectories appear roughly parallel at the moment, and they're only about a fortnight behind us in terms of coverage. Assuming that the supply situation in both jurisdictions continues to improve as expected, then we ought hopefully to be waving goodbye to the worst of the pandemic - no more mass casualties, and most of the heavy-handed interventions scrapped - at roughly the same time.

Again, assuming no disasters, it's looking good for a substantial return to normality in May.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,145
  • Options

Leon said:

Sorry that was a reply to Leon
  • Options
    I am happy to accept Labour is not performing well at the moment but the frank truth is no other Labour leader would be doing better. You can take that as praise of Starmer or pointing out the total lack of quality in the Labour Party, whichever side you wish to sit on.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

Why the F would you feel sorry for her? All the evidence suggests she really is guilty, and she really tried to do this. A terrible thing.

She deserves to serve time, she does not deserve your sympathy

Imagine if you were Alex Salmond. OK your'e a bit of a lech, you like a drink, maybe you deserve a reprimand, even some time in the sin bin. Stop it. Now. SERIOUSLY. But then along comes a vengeful ex-colleague, in supreme power in a small country (always a bad sign) who uses these complaints (even tho she's known of them for years and done nothing) to fit you up like a kipper on rape charges. thereby ruining your life and name forever. And she nearly gets away with it, except a few lawyers see that it is dodgy, and at least a few people in your party are uneasy.

Why the FFFFFFF feel sympathy for Sturgeon??
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    edited March 2021
    DougSeal said:
    Greg Abbott is a busted flush. AND a fathead.

(Isn't THIS the kind of incisive analysis that expect on PB?)
  • Options
    I want to make it clear first of all that I wanted nobody, and want nobody more, to die from Covid.

But..

I also don't want the UK to be anywhere near the top of death ratios. So I get this sick, unwanted pleasure when I see us moving down any death table, even though I know it means more deaths elsewhere.

I don't doubt that some of this unhealthy schadenfreude is caused by my own politics as a brexit supporter and a Tory, but I can't help but feel quite a bit of it has been caused by the glee I've seen in EU fans here and on twitter reporting our relative death rates.
  • Options

I am happy to accept Labour is not performing well at the moment but the frank truth is no other Labour leader would be doing better. You can take that as praise of Starmer or pointing out the total lack of quality in the Labour Party, whichever side you wish to sit on.

These polls really don't matter, just like the ones a few months ago showing it a lot closer.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

rcs1000 said:

Out of interest, what's your source for 'the fact that it takes longer to get full protection with AZ compare to Pfizer'.

The best dosing strategy for AZ is tomwait for 10-12 weeks in between doses, it means it can take up to 15 weeks for someone to get ~85-90% protection. With Pfizer someone can achieve the same or better protection with just a three or four week gap between doses so it the time taken to get there is just 5 or 6 weeks.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

UK journos run stories like that every day. The Indy makes them up, and all the others go "it has been reported...".
    No, they don't. Not during a pandemic. Show me some
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Pagan2 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

There is no Sturgeon exit date market is there? I can only see one for Boris and Starmer. Her position is looking increasingly perilous.

Even if she somehow survives, she is finished as a politician in the medium term. No one can sustain this much damage to their political reputation, and prosper. Not even in Zimbabwe, sorry, Scotland
    The closest world event to this is Putin locking up Navalny. It's off the scale in terms of fucked up IMO.
    It beggars belief. It is Boris conspiring to jail Starmer, with Carrie and the Met Police and the CPS and the Attorney General all in on the plan, and apparently happy to go along, even when the hired QCs say No, Stop, this is totally illegal.

Well, when you put it like that... Mmm. As someone pretty into politics generally but only slightly into Scottish affairs, I'm not convinced this will force a resignation - X who I've never heard of may have discussed Y with Z on date A and maybe Sturgeon has conveniently "forgotten". It sounds messy and technical, and the Tories rushing out a VONC makes me think it's some kind of party squabble. I can see from other posts here that it's actually very serious, but I think the lay voter, who thinks that all politicians lie from time to time, will just shake his head bemusedly.
    Just seen the new Labour leader on Ch 4 News. A very reasonable and impressive woman. A nice change from the last few who were above all else opportunists. My guess is Nicola will walk through this her reputation intact. The desperation of the Tories (more English ones than Scottish) tells you how much they fear her
    You know, Rog, when you get the leader of a party completely wrong, including his gender, it is probably time to shut up shop with the politics, and restrict your comments to movie soundtracks
    Before you make a complete arse of yourself, Roger was talking about the Deputy leader of the Labour MSPs on Ch4 news.

Still I remember an idiot on here tried to say that the father of Kamala Harris wasn't a black dude.
    Nah, he thought Baillie was the leader. Perhaps, however, it an understandable mistake for an elderly retiree, as she SHOULD have been leader. She is much more impressive than Sarwar

God, I know too much about Scottish politics. I long for the day when I can ignore it again. Once this FANTASTICALLY juicy scandal has played out
    Sorry TSE is correct. I was talking about Mm Baillie. I'm at least a week out of date. How embarrassing. But MSP Baillie WAS impressive. Maybe they chose unwisely?
    Scottish Labour have had a female leader.
  • Options
    Of course the silver lining for Starmer is that if Sturgeon does go, Labour has a route back to a few seats in Scotland.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    According to Worldometers the 7 day moving average of new cases in Mississippi has been rising for the past week.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

scottish labour is a branch office
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    According to Worldometers the 7 day moving average of new cases in Mississippi has been rising for the past week.
    Of course.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Why the F would you feel sorry for her? All the evidence suggests she really is guilty, and she really tried to do this. A terrible thing.

Imagine if you were Alex Salmond. OK your'e a bit of a lech, you like a drink, maybe you deserve a reprimand, even some time in the sin bin. Stop it. Now. SERIOUSLY. But then along comes a vengeful ex-colleague, in supreme power in a small country (always a bad sign) who uses these complaints (even tho she's known of them for years and done nothing) to fit you up like a kipper on rape charges. thereby ruining your life and name forever. And she nearly gets away with it, except a few lawyers see that it is dodgy, and at least a few people in your party are uneasy.

Dunno. It'll pass. Worse things have happened at sea.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    kle4 said:

7 day average seems to have been hovering around 20k there for months, but definitely a tickup.
    It seems like the measures in place since December had been enough to keep covid classic at bay but the UK variant is a majority in France I think now, so its no longer sustainable. The government had staked a lot on avoiding a third lockdown, they've been extremely reluctant to restrict further since but they've run out of road.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Fair point
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    RobD said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

The credible explanation is that local people in Newham are rejecting the vaccine. Hardly surprising given the demographics of the place.

It may be "credible" but that doesn't make it so. I've only quoted the figures from the Government's own website throughout all this. As there are no figures to show how many have contacted, we can't know how much of this is "refusal" or inability to make contact or whatever.

I'd offer the thought language may be an issue especially in Newham - as to whether cultural refusal is especially prevalent in this area, that's your conclusion, I'm not sure it's mine.

There is evidence from other vaccination drives that the uptake is extremely low, quite possibly the lowest in the country. This is not unique to the coronavirus vaccination program.
    Alternatively - and much more plausibly, let's be honest - this could be a targeted conspiracy against Newham in general and @stodge in particular...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Leon said:

One for every post @ErgoPropterHoc has ever made.
  • Options

Of course the silver lining for Starmer is that if Sturgeon does go, Labour has a route back to a few seats in Scotland.

FWIW, the last significant SNP reversal (in 2017) benefited the Conservatives more than the Labour Party.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The best dosing strategy for AZ is tomwait for 10-12 weeks in between doses, it means it can take up to 15 weeks for someone to get ~85-90% protection. With Pfizer someone can achieve the same or better protection with just a three or four week gap between doses so it the time taken to get there is just 5 or 6 weeks.
    Right... that would make sense if the UK was actually using the Pfizer doses at 3-4 week intervals. But we're not.
  • Options

Why..Labour has been eviserated in Scotland.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sure. At sea. But not in British politics. It is outrageous: what she tried to do to Salmond

Yes yes yes, I'm a Yoon and a Brexiteer and I hate haggis

One of the (few) relevant questions being asked by bewildered Nats on Twitter is: why did she do it? Why even go near this? She was the anointed successor. A cool, clever politician, with a great future. Did she really fear Salmond's return to Edinburgh that much?

I don't buy it. I do believe she was involved in this conspiracy, but I am not yet clear on the motive. Bewildering
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    A lot of the US has started to see cases ticking up. This will accelerate the trend.
  • Options
    Vaccinemania is sweeping the UK on the next thread
  • Options

Leon said:

The ghost of PB..

Woooooooooooo
    Implying we can’t get rid of you? ;)
  • Options

Leon said:

I know how he (or she) feels - my first 100k posts were never recorded.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Leon said:

Leon said:

Worse things have happened at sea.
    Dura Ace could tell us about that.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sure. At sea. But not in British politics. It is outrageous: what she tried to do to Salmond

One of the (few) relevant questions being asked by bewildered Nats on Twitter is: why did she do it? Why even go near this? She was the anointed successor. A cool, clever politician, with a great future. Did she really fear Salmond's return to Edinburgh that much?

I don't buy it. I do believe she was involved in this conspiracy, but I am not yet clear on the motive. Bewildering
    You haven't heard her evidence yet. Good job you're not on the jury.
  • Options

I want to make it clear first of all that I wanted nobody, and want nobody more, to die from Covid.

But..

I also don't want the UK to be anywhere near the top of death ratios. So I get this sick, unwanted pleasure when I see us moving down any death table, even though I know it means more deaths elsewhere.

I don't doubt that some of this unhealthy schadenfreude is caused by my own politics as a brexit supporter and a Tory, but I can't help but feel quite a bit of it has been caused by the glee I've seen in EU fans here and on twitter reporting our relative death rates.

I'm afraid this is the reality of hard core political preference. Hats off for ruthless, self-damaging honesty and I will reciprocate. I want a bad UK Covid outcome - health and economy - wrapped around Boris Johnson's neck. He deserves it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Leon said:

Question for PB legal eagles.

Is the Holyrood Committee equivalent to a court of law? ie, if Sturgeon commits proven perjury tomorrow, would she face the same - or any - legal consequence?

Salmond gave his testimony under oath, so surely Sturgeon must. And if she lies under oath, even Scottish law's weirdness can't help her.
  • Options

FWIW, the last significant SNP reversal (in 2017) benefited the Conservatives more than the Labour Party.
    On this subject, here are the SNP's twenty most vulnerable Commons marginals, and the second place challenger in each instance:

1. Dunbartonshire East - Lib Dem
    2. Gordon - Con
    3. Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath - Lab
    4. Ayr, Carrick & Cumnock - Con
    5. East Lothian - Lab
    6. Glasgow North East - Lab
    7. Ochil & South Perthshire - Con
    8. Argyll & Bute - Con
    9. Aberdeen South - Con
    10. Angus - Con
    11. Rutherglen & Hamilton West - Lab
    12. Lanark & Hamilton East - Con
    13. Renfrewshire East - Con
    14. Ayrshire Central - Con
    15. Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill - Lab
    16. Midlothian - Lab
    17. Airdrie and Shotts - Lab
    18. Glasgow South West - Lab
    19. Perth and North Perthshire - Con
    20. Motherwell and Wishaw - Lab

So, half the top twenty targets, when ordered by swing required to capture, have the Tories in second place, including 6 of the 10 most marginal. Even assuming that Scotland stays put in the UK in the medium term, Labour has some work to do to turn it back into a net electoral asset at Westminster.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sturgeon second item on the BBC news, behind the Budget.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Without a credible motive the case remains weak.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

But the post you replied to was about them.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

But..

I'm afraid this is the reality of hard core political preference. Hats off for ruthless, self-damaging honesty and I will reciprocate. I want a bad UK Covid outcome - health and economy - wrapped around Boris Johnson's neck. He deserves it.
    If the vaccine project continues to go according to plan then Johnson will probably get away with the death count. It's entirely possible that the UK won't even look particularly bad in terms of mortality per head by the time this disease has run its course elsewhere.

If you're looking for something to torpedo him then I think you'll have to rely on the economy - either a straightforward structural unemployment crisis, or a failure of the levelling up agenda that collapses the ex-Labour Northern wing of his voter coalition. Will you get it? Time will tell.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

But..

Gosh we have one left winger mango looking forward to the execution of tories now we have another leftie kinablu wanting people to die to further his left wing politics. What lovely people the left are!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

But the post you replied to was about them.
    Yes and my post was about labour....lets look at the evidence

Which is the only party that has implemented all women short lists because they felt their members weren't selecting enough female candidates?

Which is the only major political party never to have had a woman leader?

Circumstantial evidence I admit but it does point strongly to a conclusion that its a party whose members are somewhat mysogonistic
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,981
    MattW said:
    Hamilton is Salmond's counsel now but was one of his team when in politics, Pringle was an strategist / communications guy in SNP for both Salmond and then Sturgeon @MattW
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MattW said:
    Hamilton is Salmond's counsel now but was one of his team when in politics, Pringle was an strategist / communications guy in SNP for both Salmond and then Sturgeon @MattW
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.