Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump now 22% favourite to be the WH2024 Republican nominee – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MaxPB said:

The best result for unionists is that she limps on until May mortally wounded and it leads to a unionist majority at Holyrood.
    and that would be the real reason if the Nats decide to do damage control
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,268
    Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

There is no Sturgeon exit date market is there? I can only see one for Boris and Starmer. Her position is looking increasingly perilous.

Even if she somehow survives, she is finished as a politician in the medium term. No one can sustain this much damage to their political reputation, and prosper. Not even in Zimbabwe, sorry, Scotland
    The closest world event to this is Putin locking up Navalny. It's off the scale in terms of fucked up IMO.
    It beggars belief. It is Boris conspiring to jail Starmer, with Carrie and the Met Police and the CPS and the Attorney General all in on the plan, and apparently happy to go along, even when the hired QCs say No, Stop, this is totally illegal.

Scotland is better than this. Or it should be
    Well, when you put it like that... Mmm. As someone pretty into politics generally but only slightly into Scottish affairs, I'm not convinced this will force a resignation - X who I've never heard of may have discussed Y with Z on date A and maybe Sturgeon has conveniently "forgotten". It sounds messy and technical, and the Tories rushing out a VONC makes me think it's some kind of party squabble. I can see from other posts here that it's actually very serious, but I think the lay voter, who thinks that all politicians lie from time to time, will just shake his head bemusedly.
    Just seen the new Labour leader on Ch 4 News. A very reasonable and impressive woman. A nice change from the last few who were above all else opportunists. My guess is Nicola will walk through this her reputation intact. The desperation of the Tories (more English ones than Scottish) tells you how much they fear her
    You know, Rog, when you get the leader of a party completely wrong, including his gender, it is probably time to shut up shop with the politics, and restrict your comments to movie soundtracks
  • Options
    This is testament to how impressive Apple/Macs are.

A 1990s iMac Processor Powers NASA’s Perseverance Rover.

https://gizmodo.com/a-1990s-imac-processor-powers-nasa-s-perseverance-rover-1846380844
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    Leon said:

Amazingly, these documents, so devastating for Sturgeon, may still be redacted, and there is worse yet to be seen

https://twitter.com/DanVevers/status/1366825432662876165?s=20

Salmond pointed out a similar blank period during his testimony, but I don't think it was that one. It was several months.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

There is no Sturgeon exit date market is there? I can only see one for Boris and Starmer. Her position is looking increasingly perilous.

Even if she somehow survives, she is finished as a politician in the medium term. No one can sustain this much damage to their political reputation, and prosper. Not even in Zimbabwe, sorry, Scotland
    The closest world event to this is Putin locking up Navalny. It's off the scale in terms of fucked up IMO.
    It beggars belief. It is Boris conspiring to jail Starmer, with Carrie and the Met Police and the CPS and the Attorney General all in on the plan, and apparently happy to go along, even when the hired QCs say No, Stop, this is totally illegal.

Well, when you put it like that... Mmm. As someone pretty into politics generally but only slightly into Scottish affairs, I'm not convinced this will force a resignation - X who I've never heard of may have discussed Y with Z on date A and maybe Sturgeon has conveniently "forgotten". It sounds messy and technical, and the Tories rushing out a VONC makes me think it's some kind of party squabble. I can see from other posts here that it's actually very serious, but I think the lay voter, who thinks that all politicians lie from time to time, will just shake his head bemusedly.
    Just seen the new Labour leader on Ch 4 News. A very reasonable and impressive woman. A nice change from the last few who were above all else opportunists. My guess is Nicola will walk through this her reputation intact. The desperation of the Tories (more English ones than Scottish) tells you how much they fear her
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    This woman ?

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

U wot? Keir's become Keira when no one was looking?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,863
    Evening all :)

I note the 54-year olds David Cameron and Jeremy Hunt both got their Covid vaccinations today while this 60+ in East London continues not to hear a thing.

The Daily Mail (so it must be true) opines this fuels the suggestions the vaccination rollout has become a postcode lottery.

As I've been saying this for weeks, I can only assume the Daily Mail is akin to one of the slower dinosaurs from the Jurassic or Cretaceous epochs - the news reached the body but takes a good while to reach the brain.

Never mind.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

You know, Rog, when you get the leader of a party completely wrong, including his gender, it is probably time to shut up shop with the politics, and restrict your comments to movie soundtracks
    Before you make a complete arse of yourself, Roger was talking about the Deputy leader of the Labour MSPs on Ch4 news.

Still I remember an idiot on here tried to say that the father of Kamala Harris wasn't a black dude.
  • Options
    A crushing intervention from a Sturgeon supporter and SNP councillor

https://twitter.com/MhairiHunter/status/1366827088230158340?s=20
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

No wonder the Scottish cabinet were desperate to avoid publishing this.

I’ve said all the way through that I couldn’t believe somebody of Sturgeon’s Intelligence would have lied over such a matter.

It is becoming painfully obvious I was wrong.

She has to resign. This is way, way worse than Patel, or even Williamson.* This is outrageous.

*Incidentally, both of them should have resigned as well.

Golden rule of modern politics - the more it seems someone has to resign, the less it will actually happen, as their supporters feel the need to rally round all the more.
    The three things that would force her out are (1) she or her husband being arrested (won’t happen) (2) if the Greens withdraw support for her government (unlikely, but not impossible) (3) there is a coup against her by the Salmondite wing of the SNP. That is the most likely route to her removal, however it would I think only happen and succeed if they thought she was going to go backwards at the next election and therefore would give up on a referendum.

But that is separate from the fact that she really, really should resign.
    Is there not a possibility of arrest under conspiracy to pervert the course of justice? A la Huhne and Vickie price?
    You would want @DavidL to answer that, not me, but my understanding from what he has said is that the bar for that in Scottish law is very high indeed. So it seems unlikely.

But more pertinently, she controls the police while she is in office. So she is hardly likely to be arrested in advance of leaving it.
    The police are supposed to be operationally independent
    So are the courts.
    They did acquit him.
    The jury, but the prosecution service seems to be in her pocket.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

I'd not quibble, I certainly needed reminding who the leader was previously, but it was only last week.
  • Options

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

There's a Gary Hart joke in there somewhere....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214

Can SKS fans explain

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 43% (+3)
    LAB: 36% (-2)
    LDEM: 7% (-)
    GRN: 3% (-)

via
    @SavantaComRes
    , 26 - 28 Feb
    Chgs. w/ 21 Feb

Yes. The news has all been wall to wall good news for the Government, and Johnson in particular. The vaccine rollout has been excellent, on Johnson's watch. The furlough scheme will continue and the Covid stats are heading very much in the right direction. No one in the media cares about the fatality figures anymore, no one cares about the missteps between March and the New Year. Johnson (for the moment) has got away with all of the bad stuff.

There has to be a point, presumably, when Sunak has to cut the business and individual support packages (or can he run it to the next election to give five more years?) and the results will be brutal. It is likely that the rest of the world will catch up with our vaccination programme. Once the pandemic is more-or-less over, the political post mortems will not be so positive for incumbents the world over. The reality of Brexit may also not play so well.

So what of Starmer. At the moment I am disappointed at the silence over Brexit, fishing, and Covid missteps. I also have no idea about why anything needed to be said about Corporation tax. Now is probably not the time to play the party political card too often, however a little bit of basic "opposition" might be nice. I suspect whoever had become Labour Leader, they would be struggling to be heard above the Johnson victory parade,too.

Maybe we have become a nation of Conservatives, and such inch-perfect governance cannot be bettered so why try. That may be so, but I doubt it. But let's face it, those of us not of the Conservative mindset are still revelling in the spoils of both of Corbyn's magnificent GE victories aren't we?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

The new Labour leader is a man.
    The news telegrams to southern France or wherever must be slow this time of year. Probably because of Brexit.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    https://twitter.com/Annaisaac/status/1366827290634694659

Add these to the Moderna doses and we should be ready to get a serious shift on
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    MattW said:
    Don't worry, Alec's mole on the inside will have made copies....

Salmond has the icy confidence of somebody whose poker hand cannot be beaten.

And his opponent has just gone all in.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

I was wondering if Anas Sarwar had decided to open up a front where the SNP are weakest.

No, not over Salmond or Sturgeon, but on transgender issues.

By transitioning, he throws their attack line into confusion.

But I think it more likely Roger was watching the deputy leader and got muddled.
  • Options
    MattW said:
    Bin her and forfeit the pension pot -

This stinks to high heaven
  • Options
    RobD said:

There's certainly no way Sturgeon's much 'relished opportunity' to set the record straight is going to be punching any holes in Salmond's story, whatsoever.

Now we know why Salmond had such resolute confidence in front of the inquiry.
    I suppose it is easy when you know you are telling the truth.
    Anything can be true from a certain point of view, you just have to be creative, like Obi-Wan Kenobi.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I note the 54-year olds David Cameron and Jeremy Hunt both got their Covid vaccinations today while this 60+ in East London continues not to hear a thing.

The Daily Mail (so it must be true) opines this fuels the suggestions the vaccination rollout has become a postcode lottery.

As I've been saying this for weeks, I can only assume the Daily Mail is akin to one of the slower dinosaurs from the Jurassic or Cretaceous epochs - the news reached the body but takes a good while to reach the brain.

Never mind.

My 46 year old son was invited today by our North Wales surgery to have his vaccination on Friday
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Rather embarrassing on Rog's part, to be honest.

I mean, the very idea that the Labour Party would ever elect a woman as leader is pretty far-fetched...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    I tend to agree with the Greens. The enquiries at least need to be allowed to reach a verdict - Tories don't want to overegg this. One VONC in 24 hours is enough.
  • Options

https://gizmodo.com/a-1990s-imac-processor-powers-nasa-s-perseverance-rover-1846380844

The headline is mostly nonsense. Almost all the design work on the PowerPC processor architecture was done by IBM and Motorola, and the BAE RAD750 is based on an IBM design.

Apple has, historically, been quite poor at semiconductor design.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Is there a site that charts vaccinations in countries by first and second dose?

I thought ourworldindata did that but I can only find total vaccines there not first and second.
    https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
  • Options

Brit CPU from BAE Systems.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pandemic? Sturgeon already hinted at lifting restrictions earlier than England because things going so well
  • Options

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Before you make a complete arse of yourself, Roger was talking about the Deputy leader of the Labour MSPs on Ch4 news.

Still I remember an idiot on here tried to say that the father of Kamala Harris wasn't a black dude.
    Nah, he thought Baillie was the leader. Perhaps, however, it an understandable mistake for an elderly retiree, as she SHOULD have been leader. She is much more impressive than Sarwar

God, I know too much about Scottish politics. I long for the day when I can ignore it again. Once this FANTASTICALLY juicy scandal has played out
  • Options

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Rather embarrassing on Rog's part, to be honest.

I mean, the very idea that the Labour Party would ever elect a woman as leader is pretty far-fetched...
    Oh Bravo sir, just bravo.

And spot on....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Governance would continue regardless of what happens. The civil servants make sure of that.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Poor Brazil is having a hell of a time.
    Deaths still going up and passing their highest daily point.

It’s summer there, so no sign of a seasonality effect to save them.
    I bloody hope their vaccine rollout goes fast.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Governance would continue regardless of what happens. The civil servants make sure of that.
    I’m sure Drakeford could cover off Scotland as well for a few weeks.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    maaarsh said:

Are these part of the original 100m dose order? Perhaps AZN are still struggling to meet the delivery from the UK plants but didn't fancy shipping them from Belgium for, er, reasons.

This must be part of the 'bumper March' we've been promised.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:

MattW said:

Didn’t Nixon’s Secretary *accidentally* wipe 18 minutes of the most crucial tape during Watergate?

I have just compared Sturgeon to Nixon.

This is not a good look.
    I always thought that Nixon, if he had *really* been a crook, would have recorded his own version of the 18 minutes. And then handed the tapes over after some mock resistance.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Hold on if Sturgeon resigns doesn't the SNP elect a new leader that becomes FM? Or is that not how it works in Scotland?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    maaarsh said:

If we're having to import AstraZeneca doses from India, it suggests the supply constraints in the UK are still an issue.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

It's an extension of the standard governmental defence - if things are going poorly, don't change government as we are in a crisis and now is not the time for a change. If things are going well, why change things?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

maaarsh said:

If we're having to import AstraZeneca doses from India, it suggests the supply constraints in the UK are still an issue.
    The report implied this was the plan all along, rather than something needed to fill a gap elsewhere.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Given the turnover rate, he’ll be right before too long.
  • Options
    We've effectively had no Leader of the Opposition in this country since someone holding that title had an unfortunate encounter with a bacon sandwich.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

We should have yelled at them more.
  • Options
    Is Sturgeon actually liked by her party or has she just been seen as a winner? Will make all the difference to when the revolver gets sent to library.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    MaxPB said:

Hold on if Sturgeon resigns doesn't the SNP elect a new leader that becomes FM? Or is that not how it works in Scotland?

Yes, the Tweeter is responding to a Tory threat to VONC the Sturgeon Government, which would I presume lead to an election fairly sharpish.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Away from Scotlandgate, the seven day average for Covid cases UK-wide has slipped below 100 per 100,000 for what must be the first time since at least October - it's now at 94.9, and I'm pretty sure it was something like 100.4 only yesterday.

Only five local authority areas have case rates above 200 per 100,000: Leicester, Corby, Peterborough, Fenland and South Holland. All the council areas in Wales and all those in the South West of England except Swindon are now below 100 per 100,000. The rotten Plague appears to be in full retreat.
  • Options

stodge said:

Never mind.

My 46 year old son was invited today by our North Wales surgery to have his vaccination on Friday
    First, I'm delighted for your son and for all those who have had or are to get their vaccinations shortly. It's the road back to what will become the new normal which won't be the old normal but that's fine because change is also an integral part of human existence.

That said, it's clear a few areas such as mine are struggling to keep the pace in terms of getting the vaccine to the population - why this is or has been is a complete mystery to this observer and to be blunt no one seems that interested in seeking any answers.

With schools due to re-open next week there have to be some concerns about those areas where a relatively small number of the adult population have been vaccinated (14% in Newham as of last Thursday).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214

We've effectively had no Leader of the Opposition in this country since someone holding that title had an unfortunate encounter with a bacon sandwich.
    To say you have missed the point being made is a humongous understatement.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Seems rushed, crass and foolish for Ross to be calling a VonC already.

Surely the rotten evidence just uncovered needs to get a full airing first, only then should a VonC be considered.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

MattW said:

Didn’t Nixon’s Secretary *accidentally* wipe 18 minutes of the most crucial tape during Watergate?

I have just compared Sturgeon to Nixon.

This is not a good look.
    I always thought that Nixon, if he had *really* been a crook, would have recorded his own version of the 18 minutes. And then handed the tapes over after some mock resistance.
    Oh, he was a crook all right.

The problem was, he was so drunk by this stage that even when he wasn’t actually paralytic and running around the White House being chased by his own security men, he couldn’t think straight.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,280

I thought ourworldindata did that but I can only find total vaccines there not first and second.

I have a vague recollection of someone posting that data from the John Hopkins University Coronavirus site.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Never mind.

First, I'm delighted for your son and for all those who have had or are to get their vaccinations shortly. It's the road back to what will become the new normal which won't be the old normal but that's fine because change is also an integral part of human existence.

That said, it's clear a few areas such as mine are struggling to keep the pace in terms of getting the vaccine to the population - why this is or has been is a complete mystery to this observer and to be blunt no one seems that interested in seeking any answers.

With schools due to re-open next week there have to be some concerns about those areas where a relatively small number of the adult population have been vaccinated (14% in Newham as of last Thursday).
    I thought it was explained by demographics? You can't force people to have it.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited March 2021

stodge said:

Never mind.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the dynamic Drakeford in charge of rollout here.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Surely the rotten evidence just uncovered needs to get a full airing first, only then should a VonC be considered.

Agreed. It's getting to the stage where even the relatively toothless hamstrung committee is going to give real problems to Sturgeon, let alone the Hamilton inquiry, so there's no real point to a VONC this side of either of those things completing their remit.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

Gives the media something to hook the story to. Underlines its gravity.
  • Options

East to have gotten overexcited, no doubt.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Are these part of the original 100m dose order? Perhaps AZN are still struggling to meet the delivery from the UK plants but didn't fancy shipping them from Belgium for, er, reasons.

This must be part of the 'bumper March' we've been promised.
    Very likely yes. I think that, after the success in reaching the first milestone back in mid-February, and the rate at which the vaccinations have been rolling along since, the Government is entitled to have its pronouncements on this subject taken seriously.

If they're telling us that we're due some bumper weeks in March then that's probably true.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I’m with PhilIp here. They should have let the committee pick over the whole lot first.

The only reason for rushing such a vote would be if the Greens had agreed to back it, and they clearly haven’t. So it’s pointless as well.

Edit - it’s like the Trump impeachment. By going too soon, the Dems merely made it look like a partisan attack. Had they waited a few months, they could have done him for undermining the constitution. But because they had tried and failed before, they lost that too.
  • Options

It's main purpose is probably to publicly force the Greens to nail their colours to a very tainted SNP mast, giving force to the charge they are SNP sock puppets.

And if either inquiry finds against Sturgeon there will be another VoNC, which the Greens would almost certainly support.
  • Options

And forces the Greens to take a view early and associate with her.
  • Options

Away from Scotlandgate, the seven day average for Covid cases UK-wide has slipped below 100 per 100,000 for what must be the first time since at least October - it's now at 94.9, and I'm pretty sure it was something like 100.4 only yesterday.

Only five local authority areas have case rates above 200 per 100,000: Leicester, Corby, Peterborough, Fenland and South Holland. All the council areas in Wales and all those in the South West of England except Swindon are now below 100 per 100,000. The rotten Plague appears to be in full retreat.

and that's based on a 7 day average to the 25th of Feb. That in turn is based on tests taken, with actual infections likely happening 5 days earlier. So for the true picture right now you can halve the figure again given the current rate of decline.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Nah, he thought Baillie was the leader. Perhaps, however, it an understandable mistake for an elderly retiree, as she SHOULD have been leader. She is much more impressive than Sarwar

God, I know too much about Scottish politics. I long for the day when I can ignore it again. Once this FANTASTICALLY juicy scandal has played out
    Sorry TSE is correct. I was talking about Mm Baillie. I'm at least a week out of date. How embarrassing. But MSP Baillie WAS impressive. Maybe they chose unwisely?
  • Options

And fires the starting gun on what looks like a torrid period for Sturgeon, and her daily news conference ending in the May election do not look like the winner she thought they would be

Indeed I cannot see her fronting as many
  • Options
    RobD said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Never mind.

You would assume they then find someone else who wants it rather than throw it in the bin, unless there is genuinely less provision being sent to those areas due to low take up?
  • Options

It's main purpose is probably to publicly force the Greens to nail their colours to a very tainted SNP mast, giving force to the charge they are SNP sock puppets.

And if either inquiry finds against Sturgeon there will be another VoNC, which the Greens would almost certainly support.
    I think once they have failed to overturn a government, they will be wary of a John Kerry effect of removing it later.

Of course, they could just abstain on the first vote. Sturgeon should still have the numbers to win without their active support.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

stodge said:

Never mind.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the dynamic Drakeford in charge of rollout here.
    We can outsource him to you. Obviously, someone with Drakeford's multi-disciplinary capabilities and senior experience does not come cheap.

But, frankly, Wales could do with the money.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Sorry TSE is correct. I was talking about Mm Baillie. I'm at least a week out of date. How embarrassing. But MSP Baillie WAS impressive. Maybe they chose unwisely?
    Others have suggested the same thing, not that she was a candidate - I don't know what scope there is for people other than the actual leader to get much notice up there, if she is good hopefully she will be made use of.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

She didn’t stand!
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

RobD said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Never mind.

You would assume they then find someone else who wants it rather than throw it in the bin, unless there is genuinely less provision being sent to those areas due to low take up?
    My assumption is that they model how much they will require in the coming week, and request that number minus the number they have in storage.
  • Options

To say you have missed the point being made is a humongous understatement.
    To say you have missed the joke being made is a humongous understatement.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

and that's based on a 7 day average to the 25th of Feb. That in turn is based on tests taken, with actual infections likely happening 5 days earlier. So for the true picture right now you can halve the figure again given the current rate of decline.
    Looking at the latest official Covid maps of Devon, you can go from Hartland Point in the north to Prawle Point in the south, and not pass through an area with more than 2 cases.

It is all gone white.
  • Options
    I've been searching Handelsblatt's website.

I was uselessly hoping for some retraction, apology, or even the slightest show of regret for their irresponsible and ignorant AZ coverage a month or so back. Or maybe an unapologetic promotion of the AZ vaccine's recently reported figures. Perhaps a suggestion that the UK delayed second dose might be the way to go.

But no. No mention of AZ or the "UK method" that I can see.

Let me know if you spot anything here..
    https://www.handelsblatt.com/themen/coronavirus
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    ydoethur said:

I’m with PhilIp here. They should have let the committee pick over the whole lot first.

The only reason for rushing such a vote would be if the Greens had agreed to back it, and they clearly haven’t. So it’s pointless as well.

Edit - it’s like the Trump impeachment. By going too soon, the Dems merely made it look like a partisan attack. Had they waited a few months, they could have done him for undermining the constitution. But because they had tried and failed before, they lost that too.
    No, don't agree with that. It ramps up the session tomorrow and puts further pressure on Sturgeon.

Another consideration is that it puts Tories in the driving seat. Other parties will subsequently join in the vote.

BTW - a potential problem for the Greens if they wish to wriggle out of VONC is attitude of Andy Wightman who is likely to take a harder line on this - and will be putting questions to Sturgeon tomorrow as he's a member of the inquiry. (For those who haven't been paying attention he's the Independent MSP who left the Greens over a row about gender issues). He could make it awkward for them if he chooses to.

• Options

I was uselessly hoping for some retraction, apology, or even the slightest show of regret for their irresponsible and ignorant AZ coverage a month or so back. Or maybe an unapologetic promotion of the AZ vaccine's recently reported figures. Perhaps a suggestion that the UK delayed second dose might be the way to go.

Did you check the reporter's twitter feed? Maybe the mea culpa was on there (although I doubt it).
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Looking at the latest official Covid maps of Devon, you can go from Hartland Point in the north to Prawle Point in the south, and not pass through an area with more than 2 cases.

It is all gone white.
    Yep, entirely white in my town as well (covering 5 zones). Really looking forward to another 3.5 months of restrictions for this terrible plague...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Did you check the reporter's twitter feed? Maybe the mea culpa was on there (although I doubt it).
    I check it now and then and he (washingtonski) doesn't appear to have made any concession at all...

Just checked again and he has still not referred to his earlier story, nor any of the data refuting it.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

RobD said:

I check it now and then and he (washingtonski) doesn't appear to have made any concession at all...

Just checked again and he has still not referred to his earlier story, nor any of the data refuting it.
    Could AstraZeneca sue Handelsblatt?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

RobD said:

I doubt he thinks he did anything wrong. Like a good lap dog reporter he placed the story he was briefed and it did the job. It was always nonsense and even more so so now with real world data. But that wasn’t the point.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

It is all gone white.
    Yep, entirely white in my town as well (covering 5 zones). Really looking forward to another 3.5 months of restrictions for this terrible plague...
    The great mass of the working age population, save for those who've already had it (and the minority who work in health and social care or have relevant medical issues,) are still defenceless. They're wise not to go charging headlong into a massive carnival.
  • Options

RobD said:

The only way I could imagine they'd fail is if the Handelsblatt journalist and editor showed photos of Sputnik5 Salesmen outside their houses with vials of something else.
  • Options
    Aside: Worth remembering that La Sturgeon was a solicitor before going into full time politics.
  • Options

RobD said:

I doubt he thinks he did anything wrong. Like a good lap dog reporter he placed the story he was briefed and it did the job. It was always nonsense and even more so so now with real world data. But that wasn’t the point.
    If that was so casually why then it was criminally irresposible. At mass manslaughter level.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It hasn't been "explained" by anyone or anything.

IF there is poor take up in Newham and I'm not commenting on that one way or the other, I'd expect the invitations to be moving more quickly down the population. Perhaps I should be asking if there has been poor take up in Oxfordshire and Surrey (except I know from the figures there hasn't)?

I don't know why Newham is lagging behind - 14% of the adult population vaccinated by last Thursday compared with 40% in Devon and while I cheerfully accept I live in a "younger" part of the world, the fact only 71% of over 65s had been vaccinated in Newham compared with over 90% in Surrey Heartlands also tells a story.

The vaccine rollout has gone spectacularly well in some areas, indeed many areas but in other areas it has not and is not going so well. I'm only pointing out the anomalies and trying to find some credible explanation.

• Options

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

It is all gone white.
    Almost the entire working age population, save for those who've already had it, are still defenceless. They're wise not to go charging headlong into a massive carnival.
    No, they're not defenseless, the stats on the millions of people below 60 who caught it, and their ability to deal with this virus are pretty clear by now.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

RobD said:

The only way I could imagine they'd fail is if the Handelsblatt journalist and editor showed photos of Sputnik5 Salesmen outside their houses with vials of something else.
    I mean, Astra's product has been libelled hasn't it? political decision?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

It is all gone white.
    Almost the entire working age population, save for those who've already had it, are still defenceless. They're wise not to go charging headlong into a massive carnival.
    No, they're not defenseless, the stats on the millions of people below 60 who caught it, and their ability to deal with this virus are pretty clear by now.
    The worry is that the <5% of those that require hospitalisation will completely clog up the NHS.
  • Options
    stodge said:

RobD said:

It hasn't been "explained" by anyone or anything.

IF there is poor take up in Newham and I'm not commenting on that one way or the other, I'd expect the invitations to be moving more quickly down the population. Perhaps I should be asking if there has been poor take up in Oxfordshire and Surrey (except I know from the figures there hasn't)?

I don't know why Newham is lagging behind - 14% of the adult population vaccinated by last Thursday compared with 40% in Devon and while I cheerfully accept I live in a "younger" part of the world, the fact only 71% of over 65s had been vaccinated in Newham compared with over 90% in Surrey Heartlands also tells a story.

The vaccine rollout has gone spectacularly well in some areas, indeed many areas but in other areas it has not and is not going so well. I'm only pointing out the anomalies and trying to find some credible explanation.

And I again point you to the demographics of Newham compared to Devon. It's widely reported there is lower take up amongst minorities, which explains why there is the difference in the fraction of over 75s.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Apple has, historically, been quite poor at semiconductor design.

Errr Apple has designed it's own CPU cores since the A6 Swift, and has designed dozens of them now; big CPUS, LITTLE CPUs and even the CPUs used in things like the Apple Watch and embedded within the SoCs for things like security and storage controllers. Apple are not quite poor at semiconductor design, they are in fact amongst the very best CPU designers going. Qualcomm just spent a small fortune aquiring a new company that hadn't shipped anything, Nuvia, because it was founded by Apple Arm CPU alumni and they were making big claims about delivering the highest performance CPUs for servers.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

RobD said:

If that was so casually why then it was criminally irresposible. At mass manslaughter level.
    Yes, but the real culprit was almost certainly the source who planted the story.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    I agree with Nick.

PB Tories getting overexcited as per.

Nobody understands the Sturgeon story.

Even fewer people care.
  • Options

RobD said:

Maybe just put some huge posters around Dusseldorf pointing out the error of their ways....

Tell them you will keep doing it until they apologise in print. You will dictate to them the level of grovelling required.
  • Options

I agree with Nick.

Even fewer people care.

That's a keeper!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Given total vaccinated + previously had it is over 50%, severely restricting the worst possible R, the current level of infected people, and the speed with which first doses are being rolled out, it's getting extremely hard to model a break scenario anymore for the NHS without picking inputs which are clearly false. By Easter it will be completely impossible .

(in response to RobD given it won't let me reply directly)
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197

I agree with Nick.

Even fewer people care.

I am no friend of Sturgeon but this story will be completely overwhelmed by the Budget tomorrow.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,669

Sort of:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/
  • Options

RobD said:

I mean, Astra's product has been libelled hasn't it? political decision?
    I've never been able to understand why the fact that Pfizer had so few over 65s in their Phase 3 trial that they had to change top age group to over 55s didn't raise any alarm bells among regulators, given their limited approvals for AZ after their limited over 65 trials, if it wasn't political.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Aside: Worth remembering that La Sturgeon was a solicitor before going into full time politics.

She's no Constance Briscoe.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The worry is that the ~5% of those that require hospitalisation will completely clog up the NHS.

That plus the minority of those already vaccinated who will fail to respond adequately and are still at risk, plus the threat of Long Covid amongst the young and of new mutations. There are sufficient reasons to resist the pressure to just let it rip once the over 50s are done, and keep plugging away for another few weeks.

Anyway, if all goes according to plan then there'll be significant easing next month and most of the remaining restrictions bite the dust in May. There's not that long left to go, even if it can still feel like it right now.

(EDIT: I'm having a weird problem posting nested comments wherein this stupid system comes up with the message 'Body is 1 character too short'. Don't know if anyone else is getting that.)
This discussion has been closed.