Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

You can get evens that Biden’s approval will still be in the 50-54.9 range after 100 days – politica

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited February 2021 in General
imageYou can get evens that Biden’s approval will still be in the 50-54.9 range after 100 days – politicalbetting.com

Chart Nate Silver

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,200
    Looks a lot more stable than England's batting line up doesn't it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,096
    FPT MattW, there has been a 7.5% swing in net favorables between Boris and Nicola since the last poll. OK, his previous ratings were worse than scrofula, but with Ross polling much better too, it might mean the Tories are best placed to benefit from further internal SNP trauma between now and May.

Especially with Starmer going backwards too.
  • Options
    Sturgeonesque..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

India were bowled out for 36 this year.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    If everyone can just get half their averages we can get to a near 100 lead, come on!
  • Options
    On topic, from Philip Sim's twitter account.

A man has been jailed for six months after he admitted breaching the contempt order on the Alex Salmond trial. Lady Dorrian said Clive Thomson, 52, had committed a "deliberate and indeed planned contempt of court" by naming complainers from the trial on social media.

Lady Dorrian said Thomson knew he was breaching the order and had "given thought about how to get away with it" - he "went as far as to seek advice on Twitter".

Another one of those things I didn't think I'd end up having to say - DO NOT TAKE LEGAL ADVICE FROM RANDOMS ON TWITTER

This all underlines that courts do not screw around with this stuff. Defence argued Thomson is the breadwinner for his family and carer for his wife, who is shielding - but Lady Dorrian said that "for such a premeditated contempt" there is "no alternative to a custodial sentence"
  • Options
    I don't think even south Asian bookies have the balls to pull off an England win from here....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,533
    A cliche but every run is like gold dust.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,407

A man has been jailed for six months after he admitted breaching the contempt order on the Alex Salmond trial. Lady Dorrian said Clive Thomson, 52, had committed a "deliberate and indeed planned contempt of court" by naming complainers from the trial on social media.

Lady Dorrian said Thomson knew he was breaching the order and had "given thought about how to get away with it" - he "went as far as to seek advice on Twitter".

Another one of those things I didn't think I'd end up having to say - DO NOT TAKE LEGAL ADVICE FROM RANDOMS ON TWITTER

This all underlines that courts do not screw around with this stuff. Defence argued Thomson is the breadwinner for his family and carer for his wife, who is shielding - but Lady Dorrian said that "for such a premeditated contempt" there is "no alternative to a custodial sentence"

Does anyone else think DeLorean (and, by extension, Back to the Future) every time Lady Dorrian is mentioned?
  • Options

But he actually named them which is a clear contempt of court. What happens in the Craig Murray trial who reported what others were reporting from the court by twitter will be much more interesting and test the limits of the jigsaw identification rule. Its very unusual for the decision in a criminal case to take as long to be determined as that one has been already.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,601
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    FPT: @Philip_Thompson "Positive for the plague in my household. Wife's tested positive despite taking all the precautions and having the Pfizer first jab in December. She's asymptomatic, just been picked up as she does 3 tests a week.

I guess I'll get the plague now and may not be as lucky to be asymptomatic. Kind of regretting piling the pounds back on over winter that I lost last spring now."

I`m just catching up on last thread. Sorry to hear this PT. I am hoping that your wife continues to take the regular tests (LTF?) and whether subsequent ones all come back positive.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Looks to be a very high LD and Green and low Labour vote compared to the latest Comres conducted over about the same period

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1364603830629974016?s=20
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

A cliche but every run is like gold dust.

Nah, they would need another 80 or so to make this interesting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT
    Andy_JS said:
    » show previous quotes
    I dont understand this Scottish political/legal controversy at all. Its too complicated.
    It's not that complicated.

Salmond was stirring up trouble for Sturgeon because a significant part of the SNP didn't believe she was committed to a second referendum.
    Allegations of sexual misbehavior on the part of Salmond came to the attention of the Scottish government.
    There was no code for dealing with former ministers so the SG made one up, retrospectively.
    They also got someone who had spoken to the complainers to assess the complaints.
    A judicial review was lodged challenging the competency of that.
    Independent counsel told the SG their position was unstateable but the SG soldiered on until counsel threatened to withdraw.
    £500k of legal expenses were paid to Salmond's lawyers.
    Within days a prosecution was announced and eventually 9 complainers "came forward" with or without a little encouragement.
    Salmond was acquitted of all charges.
    An inquiry as to why the SG wasted £500k (plus their own costs) in respect of the judicial review has morphed into an inquiry about whether Sturgeon lied when she reported the complaints to Parliament.
    She told Parliament that the first she was aware of the charges was at a meeting in her house on 2nd April.
    She now accepts that's not true and she knew the reason for that meeting following a discussion on 29th March.
    She claims to have "forgotten" about a meeting where she was told that her mentor of 30 years was facing criminal charges for sexual misconduct.
    The point is important because she should not have been meeting Salmond at all except in a First Minister capacity with civil servants present. She claims that she thought that this was a "party meeting." This is not consistent with prior knowledge.
    Salmond has lodged detailed statements with the committee investigating this matter with paper vouching in part.
    Crown Office have complained that this is a breach of the contempt of court order arising from the trial to protect the identity of the 9. Its really not obvious why.
    If she is found to have lied the Ministerial code requires her to resign.

And not a banana in sight.

The opening to Soap was less convoluted. Even when it had alien abduction.
  • Options
    Pope is fallible.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2021
    DavidL said:

Do the Scots still always support whoever England's opponent is?
  • Options
    When asked if the UK should apply for EU membership if the general economic situation is much worse in the UK than the EU in five years’ time, 27% (-2) said yes, 17% (+5) said maybe and 33% (+3) said no.

https://www.kantar.com/uki/inspiration/society/Majority-of-Britons-support-vaccine-passports-for-travel?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
  • Options
    Oh dear, Sir Keir.

Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio......
  • Options

DavidL said:

Do the Scots still always support whoever Eng;and's opponent is?
    Some Scots always will. I find myself returning the favour and generally have more laughs than they do.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,508

DavidL said:

FPT
    Andy_JS said:
    » show previous quotes
    I dont understand this Scottish political/legal controversy at all. Its too complicated.

Salmond was stirring up trouble for Sturgeon because a significant part of the SNP didn't believe she was committed to a second referendum.
    Allegations of sexual misbehavior on the part of Salmond came to the attention of the Scottish government.
    There was no code for dealing with former ministers so the SG made one up, retrospectively.
    They also got someone who had spoken to the complainers to assess the complaints.
    Independent counsel told the SG their position was unstateable but the SG soldiered on until counsel threatened to withdraw.
    Within days a prosecution was announced and eventually 9 complainers "came forward" with or without a little encouragement.
    An inquiry as to why the SG wasted £500k (plus their own costs) in respect of the judicial review has morphed into an inquiry about whether Sturgeon lied when she reported the complaints to Parliament.
    She told Parliament that the first she was aware of the charges was at a meeting in her house on 2nd April.
    She now accepts that's not true and she knew the reason for that meeting following a discussion on 29th March.
    She claims to have "forgotten" about a meeting where she was told that her mentor of 30 years was facing criminal charges for sexual misconduct.
    The point is important because she should not have been meeting Salmond at all except in a First Minister capacity with civil servants present. She claims that she thought that this was a "party meeting." This is not consistent with prior knowledge.
    Salmond has lodged detailed statements with the committee investigating this matter with paper vouching in part.
    Crown Office have complained that this is a breach of the contempt of court order arising from the trial to protect the identity of the 9. Its really not obvious why.

The opening to Soap was less convoluted. Even when it had alien abduction.
    People don't do complexity, and governance would grind to a halt if they did, but they spot smoking guns and the smell of rotting stuff.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,601
    edited February 2021

Oh dear, Sir Keir.

It certainly won't steady the nerves......

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1364914705542881280?s=20
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT
    Andy_JS said:
    » show previous quotes

Thanks for that.

My completely amateur and cynical precis of the saga goes as follows:

Sturgeon decided to act in the interests of her party rather than to uphold justice. So she threw Salmond under the bus and hoped it would all go away. Salmond is furious, vengeful and is biting her in the ass.

I`m rooting for Salmond.
  • Options
    Ch4 win the cricket rights and end up with a 2 day game? :disappointed:
  • Options

Ch4 win the cricket rights and end up with a 2 day game? :disappointed:

They had the last England two day test, so it is fitting.
  • Options
    Has a match ever been fully completed in 2 days before?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,358
    edited February 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Has a match ever been fully completed in 2 days before?

Yes.

England's last 2 day test.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/west-indies-tour-of-england-and-scotland-2000-61879/england-vs-west-indies-4th-test-63891/full-scorecard

This match in 1995 was completed in under two days worth of cricket but went into day three 3 because of bad light/over rate.

This match in 2018 ended on day 3 despite day 1 being a complete wash out.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/ind-in-eng-2018-1119528/england-vs-india-2nd-test-1119550/full-scorecard
  • Options
    Worth noting the changes on that poll over the actuals when the last sets of locals were contested. If that poll is anything like the actual result in May, it's going to be an interesting night. And following days.

2016:

Labour -2
    Conservative +10
    LibDems -4

2017:

Labour -6
    Cons +2
    LibDems -7
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Presumably Leach and Root will open the bowling for England.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Oh dear, Sir Keir.

He is just too dull and boring
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Strange to see UKIP on 2% compared to 3% for REFUK.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited February 2021

Worth noting the changes on that poll over the actuals when the last sets of locals were contested. If that poll is anything like the actual result in May, it's going to be an interesting night. And following days.

2016:

Labour -2
    Conservative +10
    LibDems -4

2017:

Labour -6
    Cons +2
    LibDems -7
    The figures for the 2017 county elections were Cons 38%, Labour 27%, LDs 18%, so still a swing of 2% to Labour in the county elections at least even on that Kantar poll (which I think overestimated the LDs and Greens and underestimated Labour).

Comres yesterday showed a different picture

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1364663432486801409?s=20
  • Options

DavidL said:

Some do. I don't.
  • Options
    India also played in a two day test in 2018, not the pitch as such more the fact they were playing Afghanistan.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/afg-in-india-2018-1133249/india-vs-afghanistan-only-test-1133983/full-scorecard
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,477
    edited February 2021
    FPT
    MrEd said:

At the moment, Ron DeSantis - he's attracting a lot of plaudits from the right-wing commentators both for his stance on Covid and his willingness to take on what is perceived to be a biased media. His proposed legislation on Big Tech is also going down well with the GOP MAGA side.

I think generally it's going to be hard for anyone in Congress on the GOP side to make too much of an impact given the Democrats control both Houses for now and McConnell still controls the Senate faction but is seen as soiled goods by much of the party both for Trump going after him and because many blame him for the Georgia loss due to his opposition to the $2000 stimulus cheques. That has given an opportunity for the Governors to step into the void and take more of a leadership role. I would have said before that DeSantis faced a tough battle with Greg Abbott of Texas who also gets a lot of plaudits but the electricity blackouts have knocked him.

One other thing that is key but is rarely talked about. Trump is now physically down in Florida and is likely to remain so. I think physical proximity gives DeSantis an advantage, especially if there is any way he can hinder attempts to prosecute Trump.

Interesting comment from @MrEd , which I'm in agreement with.
    I noted a week or so back that his Betfair odds had shortened quite a bit. I think he's a lot better placed than the current polling might suggest.

(I'm not a fan, but that's irrelevant.)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Some do. I don't.
    Who do you cheer for when Scotland play England in cricket?
  • Options

Oh dear, Sir Keir.

People said that about Cameron. Or was it too chameleon, too lightweight. Though I hate Bozo, I am not too
    keen on a Labour government, so can be fairly dispassionate re SKS, but I think Tories that want to write him
    off need to recognise it is a long time before an election and at the moment. The Tories have a "leader" who
    other than the notable and excellent exception of the vaccine rollout (lucky perhaps?), has been an utter calamity in everything he has touched. There will be a lot more disasters before the next election while The Clown is in charge. People may well be attracted to "boring" rather than calamitous.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    edited February 2021

Oh dear, Sir Keir.

Two people have actually changed government policy recently from outside the administration.

One is a footballer and the other is a DJ.*

Who would be LOTO?

*A 3rd might be an ex-PM but Hancock claims his own idea was stolen.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,430

FPT MattW, there has been a 7.5% swing in net favorables between Boris and Nicola since the last poll. OK, his previous ratings were worse than scrofula, but with Ross polling much better too, it might mean the Tories are best placed to benefit from further internal SNP trauma between now and May.

Douglas Ross's approval up to 28% will be giving SCon some reason for hope. And that's before he gets the benefit of more coverage from the election campaign. Tories got 31 MSPs out of a list vote of just shy of 23% last time, so not inconceivable that they could do better in May,
  • Options
    Stocky said:

FPT: @Philip_Thompson "Positive for the plague in my household. Wife's tested positive despite taking all the precautions and having the Pfizer first jab in December. She's asymptomatic, just been picked up as she does 3 tests a week.

I guess I'll get the plague now and may not be as lucky to be asymptomatic. Kind of regretting piling the pounds back on over winter that I lost last spring now."

I`m just catching up on last thread. Sorry to hear this PT. I am hoping that your wife continues to take the regular tests (LTF?) and whether subsequent ones all come back positive.

Thanks for the best wishes (and from everyone else).

She won't be taking any more tests now for a while, at home for a fortnight now and when she returns they don't take tests until 90 days after the positive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    There is currently no 'lane' for either 'Trump lite' or 'Trump zero', and unlikely to be one before the next election.

At least two thirds of Republican voters are not fully connected with reality.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    Nigelb said:

FPT

MrEd said:

At the moment, Ron DeSantis - he's attracting a lot of plaudits from the right-wing commentators both for his stance on Covid and his willingness to take on what is perceived to be a biased media. His proposed legislation on Big Tech is also going down well with the GOP MAGA side.

I think generally it's going to be hard for anyone in Congress on the GOP side to make too much of an impact given the Democrats control both Houses for now and McConnell still controls the Senate faction but is seen as soiled goods by much of the party both for Trump going after him and because many blame him for the Georgia loss due to his opposition to the $2000 stimulus cheques. That has given an opportunity for the Governors to step into the void and take more of a leadership role. I would have said before that DeSantis faced a tough battle with Greg Abbott of Texas who also gets a lot of plaudits but the electricity blackouts have knocked him.

One other thing that is key but is rarely talked about. Trump is now physically down in Florida and is likely to remain so. I think physical proximity gives DeSantis an advantage, especially if there is any way he can hinder attempts to prosecute Trump.

I noted a week or so back that his Betfair odds had shortened quite a bit. I think he's a lot better placed than the current polling might suggest.

Unless there's a big change of sentiment over there - which is possible - I'd say that any Republican you are even remotely a fan of has no chance whatsoever of the nomination.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    There is currently no 'lane' for either 'Trump lite' or 'Trump zero', and unlikely to be one before the next election.

Indeed. As I posted earlier, only serious ill health (i.e. so bad he can't hide it) will stop Trump running and winning the GOP nomination imho.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

2016:

Labour -2
    Conservative +10
    LibDems -4

2017:

Labour -6
    Cons +2
    LibDems -7
    I've always noticed that the scores on the doors in Local Elections are usually rather different to the polls at the time. Is it worth comparing the polls just before each set of LEs with them now and using that to judge the likely swing?
  • Options
    I'm about to start a two hour video call, the match is going to be over by the time I'm finished.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

MrEd said:

Unless there's a big change of sentiment over there - which is possible - I'd say that any Republican you are even remotely a fan of has no chance whatsoever of the nomination.
    True.
    I'd go further and say that no Republican who doesn't refuse to acknowledge that Biden won the election has any chance. The survival of US democracy remains very much in the balance.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Cook and Strauss: England have a chance. 🤔
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Some do. I don't.
    Scotland but I cheer on England against everyone else. I generally support any British side against anyone else. Even Liverpool at a pinch.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Some do. I don't.
    India? (only kidding! :lol: )
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,847
    DavidL said:

But he actually named them which is a clear contempt of court. What happens in the Craig Murray trial who reported what others were reporting from the court by twitter will be much more interesting and test the limits of the jigsaw identification rule. Its very unusual for the decision in a criminal case to take as long to be determined as that one has been already.
    It is especially odd given the main news media gave away lots more than he did, was almost impossible to get much from his words , yet others who had actually printed names did not get a call. Only Salmond supporters that have been pursued and on extremely flimsy to non existent grounds.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    edited February 2021

2016:

Labour -2
    Conservative +10
    LibDems -4

2017:

Labour -6
    Cons +2
    LibDems -7
    I've always noticed that the scores on the doors in Local Elections are usually rather different to the polls at the time. Is it worth comparing the polls just before each set of LEs with them now and using that to judge the likely swing?
    I've gone back and taken a look at UK Polling Report.

2017 Local Elections, average poll scores in the week before the Local Elections: Con 47, Lab 28.7, LD 9.5
    2016 Local Elections, average poll scores (last 6 polls): Con 35.5, Lab 32.3, LD 6.2
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What, if they were still opening ?
  • Options

Stocky said:

She won't be taking any more tests now for a while, at home for a fortnight now and when she returns they don't take tests until 90 days after the positive.
    Best wishes, hope neither of you get any serious symptoms.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

India were bowled out for 36 two months ago.

They have form.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Andy_JS said:

India were bowled out for 36 two months ago.

They have form.
    They won't get out the stadium alive if they don't get these runs.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Some do. I don't.
    Scotland but I cheer on England against everyone else. I generally support any British side against anyone else. Even Liverpool at a pinch.
    Norman Tebbit would call you a traitor.

Jim Sillars would call you a 200 overs patriot.
  • Options
    She really really has a brass neck, looks likeshe is going to take the whole lot down before she will fess up.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

MrEd said:

True.
    I'd go further and say that no Republican who doesn't refuse to acknowledge that Biden won the election has any chance. The survival of US democracy remains very much in the balance.
    I remain optimistic that this sentiment will fade over the next few years, as Republican primary voters' desire to stop the Democrats overtakes the bizarre adherence to ideological purity with respect to Trumpism.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

2016:

Labour -2
    Conservative +10
    LibDems -4

2017:

Labour -6
    Cons +2
    LibDems -7
    In May 2017 the Tories had a lead of 11% in the Local Elections.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

It is especially odd given the main news media gave away lots more than he did, was almost impossible to get much from his words , yet others who had actually printed names did not get a call. Only Salmond supporters that have been pursued and on extremely flimsy to non existent grounds.
    I didn't read any of his stuff so I can't say but you are not less guilty because others are guilty too.
  • Options

Douglas Ross's approval up to 28% will be giving SCon some reason for hope. And that's before he gets the benefit of more coverage from the election campaign. Tories got 31 MSPs out of a list vote of just shy of 23% last time, so not inconceivable that they could do better in May,
    Hard to imagine why as well, apart from fact that he is a lying Tory toerag, he is weak as ditchwater. He sounds like a whining schoolkid and is totally pathetic, he is like Leonard of labour.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed. As I posted earlier, only serious ill health (i.e. so bad he can't hide it) will stop Trump running and winning the GOP nomination imho.
    I say not - but there's more intuition than logic steering my view atm. I've laid Trump at an average 7.25 and that's now a bad price. Latest 5.5.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Do the Scots still always support whoever Eng;and's opponent is?
    Some Scots always will. I find myself returning the favour and generally have more laughs than they do.
    I would expect it from the like's of yourself.
  • Options

Stocky said:

PT, given that your wife has had dozens of tests - all negative - and now one positive (presumable via LFT) why isn`t she insisting on continued tests to see if the positive is a rogue result (given that she has no symptoms). That`s what I`d do for sure.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2021

Oh dear, Sir Keir.

On these figures the Tories lose 9/10 seats to the LDs as well as about the same to LAB
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

MrEd said:

True.
    Utterly bizarre. You'd have thought a repudiation of the democratic process would be a bar to running not a prerequisite.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I don't , however I do hate the English commentators , they always over egg the pudding and spout some verbal diahorrea. Where do they find them.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

PT, given that your wife has had dozens of tests - all negative - and now one positive (presumable via LFT) why isn`t she insisting on continued tests to see if the positive is a rogue result (given that she has no symptoms). That`s what I`d do for sure.
    It was PCR positive not LFT and its company policy. Get a positive and you're not allowed back for a fortnight. Not worth the risk of keeping on someone who's tested positive I suppose?

Not sure if LFT instead of PCR would have made a difference.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    That's a pretty big concession is it not? At least if it counts for whole UK to EU.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

It was PCR positive not LFT and its company policy. Get a positive and you're not allowed back for a fortnight. Not worth the risk of keeping on someone who's tested positive I suppose?

Not sure if LFT instead of PCR would have made a difference.
    Ah - I see - I didn`t think it would be a PCR.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,361

DavidL said:

Many, I'd say most (of those who care) tend to - something that was a genuine surprise to me as an innocent first time visitor some years ago.

We'll know we've really developed as a valid Union when that sentiment wanes significantly.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's a pretty big concession is it not? At least if it counts for whole UK to EU.
    The whole thread suggests not - the EU wants a “Swiss” model (we follow their rules) the U.K. wants a NZ “equivalence” model. We’ll see whether they’re genuinely concerned about NI or simply weaponised it for negotiations
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

She really really has a brass neck, looks likeshe is going to take the whole lot down before she will fess up.
    Ruth's point today is a telling one. Up to now the focus has all been on the meeting with Mr Aberdein on 29th March where what was to be discussed at the meeting on 2nd April was allegedly discussed but Ruth is pointing out that Sturgeon knew about the allegations months prior to this and had discussed them with her officials. That really blows the water out of her "shock" at what was discussed on 2nd April and indeed her contention that she thought that this was some sort of SNP meeting which did not have to involve civil servants.

Given what she knew and given her position she really should not have met Salmond anywhere, let alone in her own home.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

MrEd said:

True.
    I remain optimistic that this sentiment will fade over the next few years, as Republican primary voters' desire to stop the Democrats overtakes the bizarre adherence to ideological purity with respect to Trumpism.
    I think it will likely take the loss of another Presidential election.
    I hope I'm wrong about that - and sincerely hope that if I'm not, then they do lose, humiliatingly.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It does seem remarkably curious that she hadn’t heard “any” of the “widely known” rumours about someone she’d worked very closely with for decades.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The whole thread suggests not - the EU wants a “Swiss” model (we follow their rules) the U.K. wants a NZ “equivalence” model. We’ll see whether they’re genuinely concerned about NI or simply weaponised it for negotiations
    But the whole point of entering into a negotiation is that it will end up somewhere in the middle and the UK still has the unilateral A16 lever if the negotiations are being conducted in bad faith by the EU.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,388

Oh dear, Sir Keir.

On these figures the Tories lose 9/10 seats to the LDs as well as about the same to LAB
    I assume you mean nine or ten - not nine out of ten?!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

About time looks like they're beginning to deal with issues seriously?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

It does seem remarkably curious that she hadn’t heard “any” of the “widely known” rumours about someone she’d worked very closely with for decades.
    Not when you factor in how shy, retiring, innocent and desperate to think the best of everyone Nats are.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,361
    Nigelb said:
    It is very wrong of me, but I guffawed.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But the whole point of entering into a negotiation is that it will end up somewhere in the middle and the UK still has the unilateral A16 lever if the negotiations are being conducted in bad faith by the EU.
    The issue I think with food is that because keep on talking about a deal with the US the EU think we will lower our standards when in reality our standards are currently way better than the EUs.

We probably should be emphasising that bit and saying if we lower them below yours than that is the time to renegotiate.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,996
    Relentless

Both sides will be relieved by that IPSOS poll. The SNP are taking a hit, but still quite likely to get a majority - at the moment (but much still to come)

The government will be mightily relieved by the indyref polling: the trend is to NO, but more importantly, a large plurality of Scots will accept the right of HMG to refuse a vote til the next GE. The rest - mainly the Nats - are split between UDI (which will never go anywhere), or taking Boris to court (almost certainly going nowhere)

All Boris has to do is say No in the politest possible way, order a Royal Commission into Federalism and Everything, punt the football out of Celtic Park and into the long grass by the Clyde, then sit back and watch the SNP implode: as they are already very close to doing. Sorted.
  • Options
    "Beware the post-lockdown youth crime explosion
    Middle-class children are being sucked into a world Tories wrongly see as only affecting the working class

By Sherelle Jacobs"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2021/02/25/beware-post-lockdown-youth-crime-explosion/
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The issue I think with food is that because keep on talking about a deal with the US the EU think we will lower our standards when in reality our standards are currently way better than the EUs.

We probably should be emphasising that bit and saying if we lower them below yours than that is the time to renegotiate.
    I think that's what was proposed originally but I haven't really followed any of the food stuff as it's a pretty small part of the economy compared to services and semi-manufactured goods. It's what has the most profile but really only accounts for a very small portion of exports and imports wrt EU trade.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Nigelb said:

Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

MrEd said:

True.
    I think it will likely take the loss of another Presidential election.
    I hope I'm wrong about that - and sincerely hope that if I'm not, then they do lose, humiliatingly.
    Maybe. The issue there is that, with US politics this polarised, I'm not sure if a humiliating defeat is even possible anymore. Biden did markedly better than Clinton, but still didn't win all that convincingly, and I don't see Biden in four years, or Harris, doing that much better in key states against a generic Trumpist.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Nigelb said:
    It is very wrong of me, but I guffawed.
    That is brilliant. I always thought Biden would bend over when it came to China, I didn't realise it would be literally.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,770
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Ruth's point today is a telling one. Up to now the focus has all been on the meeting with Mr Aberdein on 29th March where what was to be discussed at the meeting on 2nd April was allegedly discussed but Ruth is pointing out that Sturgeon knew about the allegations months prior to this and had discussed them with her officials. That really blows the water out of her "shock" at what was discussed on 2nd April and indeed her contention that she thought that this was some sort of SNP meeting which did not have to involve civil servants.

Given what she knew and given her position she really should not have met Salmond anywhere, let alone in her own home.
    David - Geoff Aberdein's submission to the inquiry is not doing to be published and he will not be called, so his version of events contradicting Sturgeon cannot be even considered. That is the reason she felt confident enough to say the complainant's name was not disclosed to salmond via Aberdein prior to the 29 march meeting.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    That's bloody amazing. Really hoping we can get our 17m order adjusted to this even if it means a short delay for delivery.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Leon said:

Relentless

Both sides will be relieved by that IPSOS poll. The SNP are taking a hit, but still quite likely to get a majority - at the moment (but much still to come)

The government will be mightily relieved by the indyref polling: the trend is to NO, but more importantly, a large plurality of Scots will accept the right of HMG to refuse a vote til the next GE. The rest - mainly the Nats - are split between UDI (which will never go anywhere), or taking Boris to court (almost certainly going nowhere)

All Boris has to do is say No in the politest possible way, order a Royal Commission into Federalism and Everything, punt the football out of Celtic Park and into the long grass by the Clyde, then sit back and watch the SNP implode: as they are already very close to doing. Sorted.
    The only thing would say in that, in these types of situations, there tends to be an element of things not changing for a while and then suddenly the momentum reaches a tipping point. That might be different with the SNP (and support might go to the Greens who would back them so it wouldn't make a huge difference but, if you have this relentless day after day of headlines and, probably more importantly, the actors involved looking as though they are on the defensive, it takes a toll.
This discussion has been closed.