Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

With the US Senate about to start the Trump impeachment process the latest tally has the ex-Presiden

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2021 in General
imageWith the US Senate about to start the Trump impeachment process the latest tally has the ex-President surviving – politicalbetting.com

My guess is that we will be checking back to this graphic in the Washington Post a fair bit in the next few days as the process to impeach former President Trump starts in the US Capitol building – the scene of the Trump inspired riot just 34 days ago that left five people dead. Each red block in the chart represents the view of a GOP Senator with yellow indicating position unknown. The Blue blocks are Democrats.

Read the full story here

Comments

• swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    First like sleepy Joe.....
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760
    Pant’s down. India look set to be buggered.
  • ydoethur said:

Oi, I told you not to use that one! ;)
  • I trust all PB punters took the hints that our cricket correspondents have been putting out the last couple of days.

2.5 on the exchanges against England was an insult.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited February 2021
    Difficult to believe India were still 10/1 on Betfair Exchange less than an hour ago when their score was 58 for 1.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
    6 down. Best England session since....?
    This is a bit too easy for England. 4 down at lunch would have been more interesting.
    India's target now sub-300...... 😉

ydoethur said:

OK. How about, ‘Pant’s down, tail exposed?’

What a spell Anderson has bowled here. Sensational stuff.

ydoethur said:

edited February 2021
    You get the feeling Kohli is going to be 120 not out, and run out of partners.
    Andy_JS said:

Off about 75 balls if Bess continues to bowl pies like that.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No shelter from Anderson then.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He’s dug them out.

That ball to Gill was something else. Batsman on 50, playing shots, looking in no trouble at all, bowled all ends up like a tailender facing Malcolm Marshall.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He’s dug them out.

That ball to Gill was something else. Batsman on 50, playing shots, looking in no trouble at all, bowled all ends up like a tailender facing Malcolm Marshall.
    It's one of the best overs I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. The ball between the two wickets was within a fraction of being out too. Two pretty decent players he took out.

As you said, sensational.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He’s dug them out.

It's one of the best overs I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. The ball between the two wickets was within a fraction of being out too. Two pretty decent players he took out.

As you said, sensational.
    Rahane, well, anyone can get a decent ball first up. That happens.

But to clean bowl a well set opening batsman with an old ball is really quite unusual. Normally their defensive technique is good enough to block the stumps once their eye is in and the shine has gone.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

I trust all PB punters took the hints that our cricket correspondents have been putting out the last couple of days.

I did last night, and am very grateful for its being pointed out, as I hadn’t even checked the odds until then, figuring they’d be very short.
    Absolute steal.

This is an astonishing stat. Not that it saved him.
    https://twitter.com/cricvizanalyst/status/1358999624221097985
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,094
    Not very first.

Thanks for the post, Mike.
    Nigelb said:

I trust all PB punters took the hints that our cricket correspondents have been putting out the last couple of days.

I did last night, and am very grateful for its being pointed out, as I hadn’t even checked the odds until then, figuring they’d be very short.
    Absolute steal.

Anderson doesn’t bowl spin...he bowls batsmen!
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Off about 75 balls if Bess continues to bowl pies like that.
    Stick with him. Leach had a similar time of it in the first innings, and has rediscovered his confidence.
    Spin bowling is a strange thing, and English spin stranger still.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Absolute steal.

Anderson doesn’t bowl spin...he bowls batsmen!
    :smile:
    He does bowl a mean cutter, too.
    So Leach vs Kohli.

Kohli has looked in no trouble whatsoever so far. Quite the contrary. As long as he’s in, this match isn’t lost.
    edited February 2021
    Australia would have 9 slips in place in this situation. We have one. But cant complain as long as England win.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

So Leach vs Kohli.

Kohli has looked in no trouble whatsoever so far. Quite the contrary. As long as he’s in, this match isn’t lost.

From this far behind it doesn't matter. England just need to get rid of his remaining partners.

Even in glass-half-empty world, this is a nailed-on victory. England would have to boob on an heroic, hitherto unknown, scale in order not to win from this position.
    ydoethur said:

So Leach vs Kohli.

Indian teams have occasionally pulled out the draw from similar dire circumstances.
    And the remarkable Kohli could even win it from here.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Andy_JS said:

Difficult to believe India were still 10/1 on Betfair Exchange less than an hour ago when their score was 58 for 1.

Hope PB's early risers are:

1. Enjoying the match, a rare overseas win coming up.

2. Taking free money off naive Indians ramping the hosts on Betfaiir.
  • Morning all! On topic its been obvious from the start that Trump will get away with it. There is no chance that the Senate will convict the man who incited the mob who caused them to flee the Senate in gas masks.

Trump's comeuppance will come in the courts. Where partisan lunacy has no influence.
  • Off topic, an interesting piece on BBC Breakfast from a British supermarket in Belgium who haven't been able to get resupply since Brexit.

Bless - we haven't even got started yet. Our government insisted on full 3rd country status without knowing what that means in practice. As an example, should this store want to buy McVities Chocolate Digestives, a Veterinary certificate is needed.

These are the standard 3rd country rules that we demanded - seemingly without knowing what they were. We could of course reopen negotiations - so that we are able to send things from one part of the UK to another part of the UK. But to do so would be treason or whatever. So instead we will enjoy "this is what we voted for" and "stop attacking our Brilliant Brexit" etc etc
    edited February 2021
    Um. I seem to have timeshift problems.
    edited February 2021
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

So Leach vs Kohli.

Indian teams have occasionally pulled out the draw from similar dire circumstances.
    I don’t think even he could do that. 264 more needed and number 8, two rabbits and a ferret to come.

But Kohli is an extraordinary player. Surely, with due respect to Tendulkar and Gavaskar, India’s finest ever batsman.

He comes across very well as a person too. We’re lucky to live in an era when the likes of him and Williamson are playing and fully committed to Test cricket.
    All the batsman apart from Kohli look completely at sea.
    ydoethur said:

On topic, I think all this really shows is the impeachment process is totally unfit for purpose. American politics has become so partisan that there is no realistic chance of a President being convicted, no matter what the hell they do. I mean, if ever there was a case for a conviction of treason after his blatant attempts at vote rigging, intimidation, vexatious lawsuits and finally in effect inciting the overthrow of congress and the murder of his Vice President, it’s Trump. Yet here we are.

Time for a full constitutional convention to get rid of the current load of rubbish - the electoral college, the current impeachment, the second amendment and radically change the presidential line of succession.

But it will never happen, partly because the Yanks are blind to the poor quality of their constitution and partly because too many vested interests in Congress will never allow it.

What's broken the US system, and to some extent the UK system too, is the hyperpartisanship. With two tribes both on 50%, a lot of the usual checks and balances in any system fall down.

As you say, it's pretty much unfixable because of the high bar for making constitutional changes, it would take decades at a time when no-one can see past their own next election.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    One of the many problems with the Impeachment process is that the evidence is actually irrelevant. A jury is supposed to try a case truly and fairly on the evidence but the Senate is completely incapable of doing that. Republican senators are trapped. If they vote to impeach they face the risk of being primaried. If they don't re-election will be harder with a significant number of republicans no longer signed up to the Trump shit show.

What is interesting is the determined disinterest of Biden in the White House. He is determined not to be distracted by this from dealing with Covid, the economic carnage it has caused and trying to sort out the mess that Trump left behind. He may also be seeking to hint that this really should not be a partisan thing. But it is.
    Shame there's a pandemic on, or I'd now be in a bar around the corner from where my meeting just finished - in the Indian part of town!
    edited February 2021
    Schedule for the rest of the test series.

"Saturday 13-17 February: 2nd Test - India v England, MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
    Wednesday 24-28 February: 3rd Test - India v England, Sardar Patel Stadium, Ahmedabad
    Thursday 4-8 March: 4th Test - India v England, Sardar Patel Stadium, Ahmedabad"

Hopefully the most severe aspects of the lockdown might have been lifted by 8th March. The cricket will keep me going until then. 🙂

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12173/12156819/england-to-tour-india-for-four-tests-five-t20s-and-three-odis-in-february-and-march-2021
    Sandpit said:

Shame there's a pandemic on, or I'd now be in a bar around the corner from where my meeting just finished - in the Indian part of town!

When do we start to worry about this partnership? They look reasonably comfortable although Archer roughed up Ashwin before lunch. Surprised that they have not persisted in that.
    Hats off to the umpires as well. I think they’ve made one mistake all game, and it was a very tough one - a thin edge with bat striking pad.

That’s pretty impressive.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

When do we start to worry about this partnership? They look reasonably comfortable although Archer roughed up Ashwin before lunch. Surprised that they have not persisted in that.
    I dont think we need to worry about it thanks to England getting a lead of 419. We might be concerned if theyd declared at 350 ahead.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

They can have at least a hundred more, before I get too worried about them!

We'll have a new ball just after tea, if we haven't got the job done before then.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Morning all! On topic its been obvious from the start that Trump will get away with it. There is no chance that the Senate will convict the man who incited the mob who caused them to flee the Senate in gas masks.

Trump's comeuppance will come in the courts. Where partisan lunacy has no influence.

The only way Trump will be I peaches is if a large number of Senators follow the Rand Paul approach and just siil the impeachment.

If enough Republican senators did that Trump could be Impeached with just the Democrat votes.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    That "could" is carrying the entire story.

As an implausible example Salmond could be reappointed leader of the SNP tomorrow
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,087
    Whoever came up with this idea of playing cricket during the night deserves a medal.
    edited February 2021
    25% return available if you think England can take 4 wickets in 60 overs.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/cricket/test-matches/india-v-england-betting-30233775

Edit: probably disappeared now.
    ydoethur said:

Hats off to the umpires as well. I think they’ve made one mistake all game, and it was a very tough one - a thin edge with bat striking pad.

The ICC a have done a good job on the umpiring, they’ve now got a small pool of full-time Test umps and spend time on training and development, the consistency is much better than it was only a few years ago.

The technology and review system has made them up their game too, having every mistake you make called out immediately in front of a large crowd and TV audience sharpens the mind somewhat!
    eek said:

That "could" is carrying the entire story.

As an implausible example Salmond could be reappointed leader of the SNP tomorrow
    Or a sudden heat wave this afternoon could melt all that snow. Its pretty feeble journalism. If they think that they can show that he has lied they should say so clearly and loudly. Hiding behind "could" is pathetic.
    There goes Ashwin, Kholi is going to run out of partners before he can get his century.
    Ha! Claiming that.
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

They can have at least a hundred more, before I get too worried about them!

We'll have a new ball just after tea, if we haven't got the job done before then.
    They didn’t get that far.

But Kohli is still there...
    Sandpit said:

There goes Ashwin, Kholi is going to run out of partners before he can get his century.

The gap in class between Kohli and the other batsman in this particular innings has been enormous.
    ydoethur said:

They have a combined 5 matches between them: one of them is on debut, and the other is younger than Jimmy Anderson. Impressive as you say.
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

The gap in class between Kohli and the other batsman in this particular innings has been enormous.
    Maybe not quite as wide as it was between Root and everyone else in England's first innings. That was special.
    OK, "could" doing the heavy lifting acknowledged - but how damaged would Sturgeon be if her husband was found guilty of perjury? Could she survive it - the assumption being she would be the beneficiary of that perjury?

OK, "could" doing the heavy lifting acknowledged - but how damaged would Sturgeon be if her husband was found guilty of perjury? Could she survive it - the assumption being she would be the beneficiary of that perjury?
    It's entirely hypothetical because it won't happen. At worst the report of the committee (after the election, natch) will say that his evidence was contradictory or unsatisfactory. If Salmond really wants to bring the Sturgeon castle down he is going to have to do better than that.
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

They have a combined 5 matches between them: one of them is on debut, and the other is younger than Jimmy Anderson. Impressive as you say.
    Really? I wouldn’t have known. That’s even more impressive.

It also shows that the standard and the integrity of umpires is so high now neutral umpires are no longer quite so important as they were in the days of the infamous Peter McConnell.
    edited February 2021
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Really? I wouldn’t have known. That’s even more impressive.

It also shows that the standard and the integrity of umpires is so high now neutral umpires are no longer quite so important as they were in the days of the infamous Peter McConnell.
    I remember him from when I first started watching cricket in the early 90s, although I dont recall seeing any really biased decisions. Heard or read about them though.
    DavidL said:

It's entirely hypothetical because it won't happen. At worst the report of the committee (after the election, natch) will say that his evidence was contradictory or unsatisfactory. If Salmond really wants to bring the Sturgeon castle down he is going to have to do better than that.
    It depends on whether or not he’s willing to rock the boat during the election campaign, and risk a Unionist government with no chance of another referendum?
    edited February 2021
    Another stump goes flying. Kohli this time. Stokes.
    Fuck me.

Stokes gets in the swing now.

Gill was amazing, but that was even better.

Kohli had looked in no trouble at all.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    :o Gorgeous from Stokes
    All but over now.
    Two rabbits now, and a ferret to come.
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Mr JS, you may claim that one with honours.
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

It depends on whether or not he’s willing to rock the boat during the election campaign, and risk a Unionist government with no chance of another referendum?
    There is a significant element in the SNP who think that Sturgeon will never call a referendum and that one step back might result in two steps forward subsequently. They also think that much of the current leadership has got rather too attached to the trappings of office. I think @malcolmg is pretty much in that camp.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Stokes' ball to Kohli is why you very rarely enforce the follow on in the subcontinent.
    9 down.
    edited February 2021
    That was quick.

Good reflex catch on the rebound.

Now for the ferret...
    ydoethur said:

Two rabbits now, and a ferret to come.

Time for the ferret!
    Nadeem fails to match his highest score of 1. A curious choice for number 9.
    Pulpstar said:

Stokes' ball to Kohli is why you very rarely enforce the follow on in the subcontinent.

Similar to the one that got Root second time around.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Morning all.
    Listening to the BBC 'commentary' and looking at the feed, it's really like a real County game. Long conversations about ships and shoes and sealing wax, with an occasional remark about the cricket.
    It always raises a smile to see a sponsor bringing a car to the ground - one day a batsman will use it as target practice!
    edited February 2021
    edit
    edited February 2021
    That really does sum up India’s innings. Hit wicket FFS.

Edit - oh! Well that’s all a bit weird.

Morning all.
    Listening to the BBC 'commentary' and looking at the feed, it's really like a real County game. Long conversations about ships and shoes and sealing wax, with an occasional remark about the cricket.

Pretty much what pb.com is.....
    edited February 2021
    Well that's an unusual way to finish a match!

Edit: or not!
    Must have been a sea breeze.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    It sounds like there's a 20/20 match going on.
    Sandpit said:

Well that's an unusual way to finish a match!

It would have been...
    ydoethur said:

Just about to type 'Oh no it doesn't!"
    ydoethur said:

Seen that happen before but only in very windy conditions.
    edited February 2021
    England are about to beat a stronger Indian side, in India, than the one that beat Australia in Australia.

I like that sentence, so I’ll type it again.

England are about to beat a stronger Indian side, in India, than the one that beat Australia in Australia.

So England are obviously a far better side than Australia...
    "Jonathan Agnew
    BBC cricket correspondent on The Cricket Social

It's like W.G Grace, the wind has blown it off. Oh, wait, it has. What on earth made the bail fall off? I'm assuming it was the off stump which was ripped out twice by Anderson this morning and it's left a bit of a hole. The stump has rocked back. What an incredible thing."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/55282479
    That’s it.

Well, India have three areas to work on before the next Test.

Their batting, their bowling and their fielding.

And still no Jadeja until the third test...
    Because of COVID-19 are cricket clubs going to have to go back to hosting cricket rather than beer and cider festivals?
  • Good victory, especially after the way India stunned Australia recently.

Congratulations to everyone who bet on England, was clearly value and India were ridiculous at 10/1 for a world record score.
    edited February 2021
    All over now. Caught behind.

6 consecutive wins for England.
    Wow, what a win. Is that something like 8 on the bounce now? A superb effort.

All over now. Caught behind.

6 consecutive wins for England.

Overseas wins. Three in Saffer, two in SL, then this one.

No idea when that last happened, if it ever has.

Because of COVID-19 are cricket clubs going to have to go back to hosting cricket rather than beer and cider festivals?

Hope not! Very good one locally every year (well, not 2020, obviously!)
    edited February 2021
    Coming soon to a soapbox near you: the People's Inquiry into COVID

https://www.peoplescovidinquiry.com/

Objective and not at all partisan, following in the high tradition of Independent SAGE.

Commissioners: Uncle Tom Cobley, and all.

You always wonder with India these days whether they prefer to play one day internationals and 20/20 matches rather than test matches.
  • Good morning, everyone.

F1: cars start getting revealed in a week or so, then we have testing a fortnight later(ish). Then a couple of weeks, I think, until racing.

Will likely put up another pre-season ramble, perhaps after testing.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It’s delightful to see such an England side.
  • Six weeks at ConHome for anyone who was a nervous Nelly criticising Joe Root's lack of declaration yesterday.

Always trust a Yorkshireman, especially one for Dore.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

So Leach vs Kohli.

I don’t think even he could do that. 264 more needed and number 8, two rabbits and a ferret to come.

But Kohli is an extraordinary player. Surely, with due respect to Tendulkar and Gavaskar, India’s finest ever batsman.

He comes across very well as a person too. We’re lucky to live in an era when the likes of him and Williamson are playing and fully committed to Test cricket.
    Neither did I. :smile:

And wholeheartedly agreed.
    (On that score, I note Laxman was again lavishing compliments on an England player - this time Anderson.)

Six weeks at ConHome for anyone who was a nervous Nelly criticising Joe Root's lack of declaration yesterday.

Always trust a Yorkshireman, especially one for Dore.

You're right that Midlanders like Joe Root are exceptional on the whole.
This discussion has been closed.