Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Future Now – the biggest impact of COVID – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382

TOPPING said:

fpt

I don't think there is a grand conspiracy about lockdown but I do think, as I have said from March, that government by Chief Medical Officer is not something I approve of.

Equally, if you have a press conference every day at 5pm with the PM and CMO and Head of the NHS about, say, smoking, or mountaineering, or 3-day eventing, you will pretty soon end up with a ban on those activities.

The only relevant criteria are hospitalisations and deaths. The lockdowns were, depending on the govt's particular PR aim, to protect the NHS and/or to save lives. If hospitalisations decrease to the point whereby we are not facing a "crisis" and there is a reduced or no danger of hospitals being overwhelmed, the lockdowns should end.

Great post. That is certainly true, and would also lead to the end of several other activities beyond those your cite.
    However, whilst we are not effectively vaccinated opening up will result in a new surge a few weeks later - as we know from bitter experience.

Would we have had the extra perhaps 10k mortalities in Jan if it had been less lax in Nov / Dec?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

Scott_xP said:

Dear EU

We neither read nor understood the deal we signed.

Again.

Yours, BoZo and chums.
    I bet all those shellfisherpeople voted for Brexit as well.

Fuck em.

Baron Shellfish voted remain.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/08/yorkshire-lobster-exporter-baron-shellfish-brexit-costs-forced-close
    ...Industry experts said that Baron Shellfish, the first lobster-tank business in Europe’s largest shellfish port, appears to be the first big exporter to have announced its closure.

Speaking from Bridlington on Monday, where he is in the process of dismantling hundreds of lobster crates, Baron said: “All we have had is bullshit from the government, promises that haven’t been kept. I am winding up the business while I still have enough to pay redundancy to my staff...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Unnoticed because of covid, a near-miracle treatment for cystic fibrosis arrived last year. I have a familial interest in this

https://elemental.medium.com/how-the-cystic-fibrosis-miracle-drug-is-playing-out-in-real-life-447de82c6191

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. It sounds very hopeful.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisation data

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    DougSeal said:

My mental model of what happens, which is very possibly completely wrong because immunology is a strange and complex discipline that causes problems for even those who have studied it for years and I'm just some guy on the internet who has got a layman's idea of what goes on from being curious during this pandemic:

- Antibodies patrol the bloodstream that are targeted at various viruses. the level of these depends on the level of "risk" your immune system perceives so drops off over time. If a virus that is targeted comes along, these things flock to it and gum up the bit that tries to invade cells (the spike, with coronavirus), making it so it can't even latch on and get to work. This is referred to as "sterilising immunity" and means the virus essentially bounces off.

- T-cells, in two types, also wander around. These keep going. Some randomly knock on cells "doors" and ask them to show what's inside; if the cell has a "dodgy" thing inside (the T-cell compares with a list it keeps of trophies from previous encounters) it orders the cell to instantly self destruct, and the cell must comply. This is "fighting the virus" when it's around and reduces the level of damage the virus can do if your T-cells are armed with the correct list and patrolling regularly. I visualise grizzled versions of Judge Dredd ("I AM the immunity!")

- The second type goes scurrying off to B-cells, which are antibody factories, and orders them to start churning out more of those antibodies seen above. This prevents any virus that's already wandering through the system from getting much further.

All very simplified and quite possibly completely wrong.

The vaccines power up both the T-cells and get the antibodies going. Because the SA variant has adjusted its spike, the antibodies are less effective at gumming it up, so can still often get through even when they're swamping it. They'll take out some of them, of course, and lower the viral concentration, which will help the T-cells with the level of activity needed.

The T-cells, however, are still effective, so while the virus doesn't "bounce off" and gets further than hoped, it still runs into the problem of the Judge Dredd T-cells, which make the challenge of getting far enough to cause serious damage so much harder.

Those who know far more will probably laugh at all that and be able to adjust it to what the real status is.

I know much less than you but, for what it is worth, that is my understanding too.
    Liking the sound of those T-cells, I must say. Terrific little things.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    The speed at which Goodwin has transformed from being an interesting, respected, objective academic commentator to being a pro-government, anti-woke shill is even more impressive than the speed of our vaccine rollout.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

China spies update. Further to the Times report mentioned on the last thread (or possibly the one before) today sees the publication of this Civitas report on the subject (which I've not had time to read). It can be downloaded as a pdf from the link below.

• This report draws attention to the little-analysed but pervasive presence of Chinese
    military-linked conglomerates and universities in the sponsorship of high-technology
    research centres in many leading UK universities.

• In many cases, these UK universities are unintentionally generating research that is
    sponsored by and may be of use to China’s military conglomerates, including those
    with activities in the production of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs), including
    intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) as well as hypersonic missiles, in which
    China is involved in a new arms race and seeks ‘massively destabilising’ weaponry.

• Much of this research is entirely based at UK universities, while other research
    outputs include cooperation with researchers in China, often at the military-linked
    universities or companies sponsoring the UK research centre.

• Many of the research projects will have a civilian use, and UK-based researchers will
    be unaware of a possible dual use that might lead to a contribution to China’s
    military industries.

• This report illustrates how 15 of the 24 Russell Group universities and many other UK
    academic bodies have productive research relationships with Chinese military-linked
    manufacturers and universities. Much of the research at the university centres and
    laboratories is also being sponsored by the UK taxpayer through research councils,
    Innovate UK, and the Royal Society

https://www.civitas.org.uk/publications/inadvertently-arming-china/

@TheScreamingEagles will surely be unsurprised that China has not bothered with that academic backwater at Cowley.

My lecturer in East Asian Politics at Auckland University in 97/98 was alleged in the Financial Times a few years ago to be a spy.

He denied it.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    IshmaelZ said:

Johnson is refusing to rule out a lockdown extension.

Panicky Hancock presser at 5...

Over a week-end, we are now almost at the post vaccine lockdown stage.

So...about those pubs....

WTF are you withering on about today?

We are not post vaccine by any means of the imagination. Getting the first dose to over 70 year olds is a very good first part of the vaccination process, but it's just under a quarter of the vulnerable doses that need to be done.
    I doubt even you would deny there is an attempt today to discredit the vaccine program as a way out of lockdown. By some in the media and some in SAGE. The government? who knows.

Bit Johnson refused to rule out a lockdown extension, even though we are ahead of schedule in vaccination, and on every measure the disease is receding.
    The facts have changed for the worse, and people have recognised that. The world does not owe you a "yes" to your constant refrain of "are we nearly there yet?" Things are what they are.

What a credulous person you are, Ishmael.

SAGE could tell you to stick your head up your backside and you would be kissing your own ring before any of us could say jack robinson.

The government has taken away many freedoms our forebears fought and died for. They put 67 million people under house arrest. They do owe us that explanation. Big time. Yesterday.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Sandpit said:

Fantastic Speccie article on how the vaccine issue played out in government...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/secrets-of-the-vaccine-taskforces-success
    "The foreign press coverage has turned from mockery to awe, with Britain having vaccinated more people than France, Germany, Italy and Spain put together. Many of those behind this success are virtually unknown to the public. Their story matters, because the Vaccine Taskforce is already being looked to by ministers as a model for how government should work once the pandemic is over.

"Sir Patrick – backed by Dominic Cummings – went to the Prime Minister and said that a vaccine tsar should be appointed so as to avoid repeating old mistakes. The Chancellor agreed – as a former investor with portfolio he believed a hawkish approach on contracts was necessary, even if it carried risk levels that led Treasury officials to describe it as 'an extremely unusual programme'. ‘They needed someone with immense private expertise — a dealmaker,’ says an aide.

"In many ways, Kate Bingham was an obvious choice. An established venture capitalist, she has spent her career investing in pharma companies."

Very interesting indeed:

But her appointment also led to charges of cronyism: she’s married to Jesse Norman, a Treasury minister, and was at school with Rachel Johnson, the Prime Minister’s sister. ‘Boris picked Kate,’ says one minister. ‘It was his big contribution.’
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

I don't think there is a grand conspiracy about lockdown but I do think, as I have said from March, that government by Chief Medical Officer is not something I approve of.

Equally, if you have a press conference every day at 5pm with the PM and CMO and Head of the NHS about, say, smoking, or mountaineering, or 3-day eventing, you will pretty soon end up with a ban on those activities.

The only relevant criteria are hospitalisations and deaths. The lockdowns were, depending on the govt's particular PR aim, to protect the NHS and/or to save lives. If hospitalisations decrease to the point whereby we are not facing a "crisis" and there is a reduced or no danger of hospitals being overwhelmed, the lockdowns should end.

Great post. That is certainly true, and would also lead to the end of several other activities beyond those your cite.
    However, whilst we are not effectively vaccinated opening up will result in a new surge a few weeks later - as we know from bitter experience.

Would we have had the extra perhaps 10k mortalities in Jan if it had been less lax in Nov / Dec?
    There is a horrible calculation to be made by the government (not the CMO) about the balance between likely deaths and economic activity and the country's "normal-ish" status.

An extra 10k deaths would normally, in a bad flu year, not figure in these calculations - indeed no flu deaths would. This of course is not normal, nor is it "the flu". But the govt must nevertheless deal in this very very challenging currency.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,745
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Fpt for Carlotta

Shit. The truly alarming thing there is what I feared most: past infection with ‘normal’ Covid provides no immunity against SA Covid. This bug is Satanic

If the Safferbug runs riot in the UK this spring we will be back to square one. They won’t be able to tweak any of the vaccines in time. People will catch it again who’ve already had it. People vaxxed with AZ will also get it. Hopefully they will only get mild/moderate cases, but we don’t know that yet, for sure.

I don’t want to come over all Black Rook but this is ominous. To me it suggests lockdown until Autumn. And yet I just don’t think the economy can hack that, or the nation’s mental health. So what gives?

It’s a setback, but you are probably going too far.
    • The sample size in the new study was small. Of 1749 participants, 42 got sick, of whom 19 had the vaccine and 23 had a placebo, producing an efficacy figure of just 22 per cent.
    • However, no one became severely ill or died.
    • That is partly because participants were young – average age 31 – but also because while the vaccine doesn’t appear to prompt a significant immune response in the form of antibodies specific to 501Y.V2, it does still boost a broader immune response in the form of T cells. That also appears to be true of reinfection.
    • So AstraZeneca believes its vaccine still offers protection against serious illness and death from the variant. The same, with respect to T-Cells, will likely be true of reinfection.
    • In any case, South Africa has shipments of the Pfizer, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson vaccines on order, and all appear to provide protection against the variant, including among over 65s.o.
    Finally, if you want some good news from South Africa, look at their case numbers and mortality over the last six weeks. Dropping like a rock.
    Yes, the drop in cases and deaths in SA is encouraging. No one seems entirely sure why. Herd immunity in townships has been posited. Tho I also note the SA health minister is warning of a third wave

https://businesstech.co.za/news/trending/465684/south-africa-must-prepare-for-a-possible-third-covid-19-wave-mkhize/
    There is no mystery about the falling case numbers in South Africa. They started a lockdown at the end of December, and surprise surprise, cases peaked around two weeks later.
    You’re wrong, I believe. There is some mystery because the lockdown basically didn’t happen in the townships, because it is impossible to social distance/isolate or practice great hygiene in these densely populated, impoverished places. Yet still cases have crashed. Hence the herd immunity theory, tho it is just a theory, I admit

Similar things have happened in India. Which is even poorer, and more crowded. Cases have just fallen away (long before any vaccines arrived)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/india/

Hey, look, this is GOOD news. Perhaps the bug, at some point, just fizzles out.

Let us pray.
    I think you overplay the inability to lockdown/isolate etc in poorer countries.

Lockdowns worked in the US in 1918 [1] for Spanish Flu

India in 2020 is close in GDP per capita and much better in life expectancy compared to the US in 1918 [2]

[1] https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/
    [2] https://www.gapminder.org/tools/#$state$time$value=1918;;&chart-type=bubbles (US is the biggish green circle in 1918; in 2020 India is one of the big pink one at a similar horizontal position
    An interesting point well made, but.... India? Have you been to cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta?

I don’t see how you could possibly lockdown strictly in those enormous slums, and as for hygiene...

For comparison, America’s largest city in 1918 was nyc, with a population of 5m. Mumbai has a population of 18m

America’s 2nd largest city in 1918 was Chicago - 2.6m. New Delhi has a population of 16m
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Decrease in cases now holding steady around 25% per week.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838

Salmond Inquiry, Part 93....

https://news.stv.tv/politics/crown-office-urged-to-probe-murrell-committee-evidence

Mr Murrell less than convincing today, it has to be said.

The suggested referral is ironic given that the Crown Office is itself in the murk up to its oxters, with calls for the Lord Advocate, James Wolffe, to resign over the Rangers shambles.

It's all getting very banana republic up here. Maybe that should be turnip republic, in deference to malc?

How the hell does this not all massively blow up, a few weeks before the elections in Scotland?
  • Options

The speed at which Goodwin has transformed from being an interesting, respected, objective academic commentator to being a pro-government, anti-woke shill is even more impressive than the speed of our vaccine rollout.
    I'm sure he'll delete this eventually like he did his 'Trump is no fascist and only the woke say he is' tweets.
  • Options

UK local R

What tf is going on in Rutland?

@Foxy?
  • Options

China spies update. Further to the Times report mentioned on the last thread (or possibly the one before) today sees the publication of this Civitas report on the subject (which I've not had time to read). It can be downloaded as a pdf from the link below.

• This report draws attention to the little-analysed but pervasive presence of Chinese
    military-linked conglomerates and universities in the sponsorship of high-technology

• In many cases, these UK universities are unintentionally generating research that is
    sponsored by and may be of use to China’s military conglomerates, including those
    with activities in the production of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs), including
    intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) as well as hypersonic missiles, in which
    China is involved in a new arms race and seeks ‘massively destabilising’ weaponry.

• Much of this research is entirely based at UK universities, while other research
    outputs include cooperation with researchers in China, often at the military-linked

• Many of the research projects will have a civilian use, and UK-based researchers will
    military industries.

• This report illustrates how 15 of the 24 Russell Group universities and many other UK
    academic bodies have productive research relationships with Chinese military-linked
    manufacturers and universities. Much of the research at the university centres and
    laboratories is also being sponsored by the UK taxpayer through research councils,

@TheScreamingEagles will surely be unsurprised that China has not bothered with that academic backwater at Cowley.

After the disastrous news about the Oxford vaccine, you can understand why.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I guess it is a little worrying that the Saffers have suspended the rollout of the Oxford vaccine.

I'd advise the UK government to do a media blitz to reassure UK recipients of the Oxford vaccine.

My father who should be out jabbing the masses towards the end of the month has said his job became a little harder today.

Just let me know, I can take up one of those spare jabs if it's going to go in the bin
    Will do. I think he'll be covering your neck of the woods.
  • Options

Leon said:

Unnoticed because of covid, a near-miracle treatment for cystic fibrosis arrived last year. I have a familial interest in this

https://elemental.medium.com/how-the-cystic-fibrosis-miracle-drug-is-playing-out-in-real-life-447de82c6191

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. It sounds very hopeful.
    It really really is. For some CF sufferers, 2020 was a wonderful year
  • Options

military industries.

My lecturer in East Asian Politics at Auckland University in 97/98 was alleged in the Financial Times a few years ago to be a spy.

He denied it.
    First rule of spying, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021
    The government outsource vs insource control of tasks on covid has been mixed.

Vaccines great, track and trace terrible.

Testing under PHE disaster, ramp up under the men from delmonte very impressive...back to PHE, loss.of drive.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

military industries.

After the disastrous news about the Oxford vaccine, you can understand why.
    Aren't they talking about prosecutions? this is a big story coming up.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

military industries.

China Spies Update

"Researchers at Cambridge have cooperated in research on gyroscope's with researchers from China..."

Well, that doesn't look like a very strong piece of evidence.

It is a bit like saying research on vitamins with China is contributing to the military effort as it is making their service personnel healthy.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

https://news.stv.tv/politics/crown-office-urged-to-probe-murrell-committee-evidence

The suggested referral is ironic given that the Crown Office is itself in the murk up to its oxters, with calls for the Lord Advocate, James Wolffe, to resign over the Rangers shambles.

It's all getting very banana republic up here. Maybe that should be turnip republic, in deference to malc?

How the hell does this not all massively blow up, a few weeks before the elections in Scotland?
    Because like the Schleswig Holstein question, nobody can understand what the hell is going on except some guy who is mad, and some other bod who died.

I do wish someone like Keir would come out and ask questions about governance in Scotland.

Isn’t there an Ombudsman who can step in?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

How very awful of him. How on earth will the remaining 99% of academics in the social sciences who are anti-government, pro-woke shills survive?

He needs to learn that heretical thought will simply not be tolerated around here!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Fpt for Carlotta

Shit. The truly alarming thing there is what I feared most: past infection with ‘normal’ Covid provides no immunity against SA Covid. This bug is Satanic

If the Safferbug runs riot in the UK this spring we will be back to square one. They won’t be able to tweak any of the vaccines in time. People will catch it again who’ve already had it. People vaxxed with AZ will also get it. Hopefully they will only get mild/moderate cases, but we don’t know that yet, for sure.

I don’t want to come over all Black Rook but this is ominous. To me it suggests lockdown until Autumn. And yet I just don’t think the economy can hack that, or the nation’s mental health. So what gives?

• The sample size in the new study was small. Of 1749 participants, 42 got sick, of whom 19 had the vaccine and 23 had a placebo, producing an efficacy figure of just 22 per cent.
    • That is partly because participants were young – average age 31 – but also because while the vaccine doesn’t appear to prompt a significant immune response in the form of antibodies specific to 501Y.V2, it does still boost a broader immune response in the form of T cells. That also appears to be true of reinfection.
    • So AstraZeneca believes its vaccine still offers protection against serious illness and death from the variant. The same, with respect to T-Cells, will likely be true of reinfection.
    • In any case, South Africa has shipments of the Pfizer, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson vaccines on order, and all appear to provide protection against the variant, including among over 65s.o.
    Finally, if you want some good news from South Africa, look at their case numbers and mortality over the last six weeks. Dropping like a rock.
    Yes, the drop in cases and deaths in SA is encouraging. No one seems entirely sure why. Herd immunity in townships has been posited. Tho I also note the SA health minister is warning of a third wave

https://businesstech.co.za/news/trending/465684/south-africa-must-prepare-for-a-possible-third-covid-19-wave-mkhize/
    There is no mystery about the falling case numbers in South Africa. They started a lockdown at the end of December, and surprise surprise, cases peaked around two weeks later.
    You’re wrong, I believe. There is some mystery because the lockdown basically didn’t happen in the townships, because it is impossible to social distance/isolate or practice great hygiene in these densely populated, impoverished places. Yet still cases have crashed. Hence the herd immunity theory, tho it is just a theory, I admit

Similar things have happened in India. Which is even poorer, and more crowded. Cases have just fallen away (long before any vaccines arrived)

Let us pray.

India in 2020 is close in GDP per capita and much better in life expectancy compared to the US in 1918 [2]

[1] https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/
    [2] https://www.gapminder.org/tools/#$state$time$value=1918;;&chart-type=bubbles (US is the biggish green circle in 1918; in 2020 India is one of the big pink one at a similar horizontal position
    An interesting point well made, but.... India? Have you been to cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta?

I don’t see how you could possibly lockdown strictly in those enormous slums, and as for hygiene...

For comparison, America’s largest city in 1918 was nyc, with a population of 5m. Mumbai has a population of 18m

America’s 2nd largest city in 1918 was Chicago - 2.6m. New Delhi has a population of 16m
    Yes, yes, but can they bat?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I love this line - from Murrell about Salmond’s casual visit

“I just thought he was popping in for a chat about, you know, any, any matter.”

There are times when the most anodyne words simply scream: I AM LYING

This is such a time
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I wonder if it is just like Coulson.

Some very political people said the same, said it would cause Dave's resignation yet the country didn't care as their focus was on school'n'hospitals.

I remember hearing that the Tory pollsters as well as other pollsters asked the question 'Which news story have you paid the most attention to this week' and even at the height of phone hacking/Coulson's resignation you'd get a maximum of 1 or 2 people saying phone hacking out of 2,000.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    edited February 2021
    TOPPING said:

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

There is a horrible calculation to be made by the government (not the CMO) about the balance between likely deaths and economic activity and the country's "normal-ish" status.

An extra 10k deaths would normally, in a bad flu year, not figure in these calculations - indeed no flu deaths would. This of course is not normal, nor is it "the flu". But the govt must nevertheless deal in this very very challenging currency.
    We must learn to live with and accept a back-ground "radiation" of deaths due to Covid19 and any mutations thereof. C19 cannot and never will be "eradicated" - we will learn more to minimise via vaccine and "cure" patients with it, but deaths will not and never will be stopped due to it.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

"The foreign press coverage has turned from mockery to awe, with Britain having vaccinated more people than France, Germany, Italy and Spain put together. Many of those behind this success are virtually unknown to the public. Their story matters, because the Vaccine Taskforce is already being looked to by ministers as a model for how government should work once the pandemic is over.

"Sir Patrick – backed by Dominic Cummings – went to the Prime Minister and said that a vaccine tsar should be appointed so as to avoid repeating old mistakes. The Chancellor agreed – as a former investor with portfolio he believed a hawkish approach on contracts was necessary, even if it carried risk levels that led Treasury officials to describe it as 'an extremely unusual programme'. ‘They needed someone with immense private expertise — a dealmaker,’ says an aide.

"In many ways, Kate Bingham was an obvious choice. An established venture capitalist, she has spent her career investing in pharma companies."

Very interesting indeed:

But her appointment also led to charges of cronyism: she’s married to Jesse Norman, a Treasury minister, and was at school with Rachel Johnson, the Prime Minister’s sister. ‘Boris picked Kate,’ says one minister. ‘It was his big contribution.’
    His sister picked Kate. The real "Boris" added value was cracking the joke that Wockhardt Ltd in Wrexham were so named because "they like to work hard". This lightened the tension and raised morale at a critical time.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?
    Whoa, my parents are in Rutland and just got vaccinated. They were right at the bottom of the league tables until yesterday.

Hopefully something like a single care home outbreak, the relative numbers being high because of the small denominator, only 38k population in the county.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420
    Sandpit said:

My understanding is that the inquiry will have to close down shortly. So ScotGov/SNP basically trying to close it down through obfuscation.

Big question is what does Salmond do? Latest I saw was that he was not going to present himself tomorrow as he was at risk of being prosecuted if he brought forward certain evidence. Some talk of him hosting a presser instead. Watch this space.

It's pretty obvious that there is something going off, but my best guess is that it is a slow-fuse which will ignite the ordnance sometime after the election. But, really, who can say?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

We are not post vaccine by any means of the imagination. Getting the first dose to over 70 year olds is a very good first part of the vaccination process, but it's just under a quarter of the vulnerable doses that need to be done.
    I doubt even you would deny there is an attempt today to discredit the vaccine program as a way out of lockdown. By some in the media and some in SAGE. The government? who knows.

Bit Johnson refused to rule out a lockdown extension, even though we are ahead of schedule in vaccination, and on every measure the disease is receding.
    The facts have changed for the worse, and people have recognised that. The world does not owe you a "yes" to your constant refrain of "are we nearly there yet?" Things are what they are.

SAGE could tell you to stick your head up your backside and you would be kissing your own ring before any of us could say jack robinson.

The government has taken away many freedoms our forebears fought and died for. They put 67 million people under house arrest. They do owe us that explanation. Big time. Yesterday.
    Oh no. We are under 'house arrest' - I hadn't realised. I'm quite vulnerable to the disease, and I've been out four times today. Are 'they' going to arrest me?

You talk utter nonsense. 67 million under house arrest - bollocks.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?
    Whoa, my parents are in Rutland and just got vaccinated. They were right at the bottom of the league tables until yesterday.

Hopefully something like a single care home outbreak, the relative numbers being high because of the small denominator, only 38k population in the county.
    Yep I'm sure that's it. Just seems v strange. Next door Melton is no change but as you say, Rutland is tiny.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,899
    MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Sure, I'm not advocating for a loosening right now, far from it. I am simply saying that the goal has to be normal life above all.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Sandpit said:

Because like the Schleswig Holstein question, nobody can understand what the hell is going on except some guy who is mad, and some other bod who died.

I do wish someone like Keir would come out and ask questions about governance in Scotland.

I don't know about Scotland, but the Welsh Ombudsman (Nick Bennett) was appointed by Labour.

He is a Labour Party Member and previously shared a flat with a Labour AM and ran a business with a Labour AM. He also does not understand the meaning of the phrase "possible conflict of interest".

So, he is a complete waste of space if you are criticising a Labour politician, a Labour Council or the Labour Government.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?

It's an outbreak in a prison:

https://twitter.com/HMPStocken/status/1356588359548891138
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Fpt for Carlotta

Let us pray.

I've been to Mumbai (stayed for a while with a friend from uni and his parents - he grew up there and I saw, I think, a fair bit, although he was from an affluent family). I haven't been to any 1918 US cities :wink:

There are of course many differences. Is stopping spread through Mumbai on average harder than stopping spread in 1918 Chicago? All I'm saying is that I don't know. There will be bits where it's more or less impossible and bits (where my friend's family lived) where it's easier than in poorer parts of UK/US cities today. We'd be horrified to visit the darker bits of 1918 Chicago today, I'm sure.

I suspect the stats on the poorer bits are also much worse, both in testing for cases and labeling deaths as Covid, so the wealthier bits might dominate the reported figures.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you're wrong (well, lack evidence) to say @Gaussian is wrong :wink:

• Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Gaussian said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Fpt for Carlotta

Let us pray.

Yes, yes, but can they bat?
    They can, but they use different bats.

More on topic, what's the governance structure of the Crown Office, is there any UK institution that can manage the problems without nuclear options such as the suspension of Holyrood?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?

Brilliant Latin motto in the circs

POSITIVUM MUTATIO
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Oh no. We are under 'house arrest' - I hadn't realised. I'm quite vulnerable to the disease, and I've been out four times today. Are 'they' going to arrest me?

I think it is entirely right that when the government is dictating who you can and cannot have sex with, amongst other things, that there are many voices who constantly ask "why?"

That is not to say the reason will not be a valid one.
  • Options

Yes I would deny it.

There may be an effort to say don't be a dingbat and we aren't out of the woods yet, but that's neither here nor there as far as vaccinations being the endgame of this.

The disease is receding and the vaccinations are being rolled out which means the plan is working. Despite your misgivings. That you want to take the fact things are going right as evidence things are going wrong says it all.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021

Professor Robert Dingwall, who sits on the government's expert Nervtag group (New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group) suggests people should not be alarmed.

"It's very hard to see why this study has generated so much publicity unless people are looking actively for bad news stories," he said.

He emphasises how small the study is, and cites "massive degrees of uncertainty around the result".

"This is really not a piece of work that should command any great respect or confidence, obviously it's worth following up and taking a closer look at things.

"But the idea that this one small piece of work should be used to jeopardise public confidence or to provoke a major shift in policy is really just a little bit absurd."

Despite this I fully expect 20 questions from the media at 5pm asking if the UK has messed up vaccine programme, do we need to change immediately, should we stop using AZN, and can we go to Greece for.my summer holidays, because cottages in the Cotswolds are too expensive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?

Bassetlaw had a big outbreak at the prison near Retford here - showed up as over a hundred in 1 day obviously those can be contained better than most !
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I don't know about Scotland, but the Welsh Ombudsman (Nick Bennett) was appointed by Labour.

He is a Labour Party Member and previously shared a flat with a Labour AM and ran a business with a Labour AM. He also does not understand the meaning of the phrase "possible conflict of interest".

So, he is a complete waste of space if you are criticising a Labour politician, a Labour Council or the Labour Government.
    Well precisely my fear.
    We a turning into a banana republic.
    It makes me sick.

Who will Ombud the Ombudsman?
  • Options

How very awful of him. How on earth will the remaining 99% of academics in the social sciences who are anti-government, pro-woke shills survive?

He needs to learn that heretical thought will simply not be tolerated around here!
    That's well below your normal high standard - your 99% figure is just gross exaggeration. 80% maybe I'd have given you. :) Anyway, even you must admit that Goodwin's line on everything has become tediously predictable.
  • Options
    Is this correct from the thread header ?
    ...This leads to extremely effective vaccines. When Oxford/AstraZeneca used a Chimpanzee virus to make their vaccine, they relied on altering an existing virus so it looked enough like Covid to fool the body’s immune system. But the tolerances are always small with this kind of approach, because the adapted virus still had to carry a bunch of genetic material related to the original (Chimpanzee) virus...

That's not how the Oxford vaccine works.
    It uses a modified chimpanzee virus as a carrier so that it's not recognised by the immune system. The virus is replication incompetent, but get's into human calls, which it them instructs to produce copies of the spike protein, as do the mRNA vaccines.
    It is the copies of the spike proteins produced by the vaccinated patient's cells which stimulate the immune system in both cases.

In terms of modifications to the vaccine, you're still altering a DNA template with a different version of the spike protein, so again not a wildly different process from modifying the mRNA vaccines.

The manufacturing process is, of course, very different, and it's easier to reuse the mRNA delivery technology in subjects who've already been exposed to it, as the lipid package isn't going to be recognised by the immune system in the way that previous exposure to a viral vector is going to prime it to recognise that reused vector.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Sure, I'm not advocating for a loosening right now, far from it. I am simply saying that the goal has to be normal life above all.
    Yes, I think that's what people are losing sight of, the SAGE types especially. We must have a plan to return to the old normal. Not summer 2020 "normal", the old normal with late night bars, clubs, no social distancing and the ability to meet perfect strangers on a daily basis without needing to wear a mask.

We must be able to deliver that by the middle of the summer of this year and have a plan to ensure we don't lose it over the winter of 2021, if that means mass producing vaccines and giving everyone booster shots over September and October then lets plan for that now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

When the virus mutates and a new vaccine is manufactured to deal with the new spike or whatever it targets then does that new adjusted vaccine need to go through Phase III and all the other trials again, like the first one did, or can it be used immediately?

Given that the trials were the time consuming element prior to manufacture, how much time can be saved on new vaccinations?

Does that differ between mRNA and tradition Oxford style vaccinations?

It can be used immediately*, hence why we don't trial the flu vaccine every year.

* Pfizer's manufacturing process takes 60 days, so that is the key lead time
    Thanks RCS that is great news!

So where is the line drawn between a new variant of a vaccine that can be used immediately and a new vaccine that requires full trials?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?

POSITIVUM MUTATIO
    Yes, as ironic as it is ungrammatical!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?

Oh wow, I never even knew there was a prison in Rutland. It's right at the northern corner of the county, thankfully well away from my parents in Uppingham - not that they've met another human in weeks, apart from their trips to the vaccine centre.
  • Options
    I wonder what would happen if the UK govt said we are closing the UK borders due to saffer covid. Including the Eire/Ulster border.

Ethically, it would be hard for the EU to object
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Yes, I think that's what people are losing sight of, the SAGE types especially. We must have a plan to return to the old normal. Not summer 2020 "normal", the old normal with late night bars, clubs, no social distancing and the ability to meet perfect strangers on a daily basis without needing to wear a mask.

We must be able to deliver that by the middle of the summer of this year and have a plan to ensure we don't lose it over the winter of 2021, if that means mass producing vaccines and giving everyone booster shots over September and October then lets plan for that now.
    And if the only way to secure that in this country is to quarantine at the border until the rest of the world catches up then JFDI.

Holidays domestically during a pandemic is better than constantly shutting down everyone's daily lives.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    edited February 2021
    Devon looking good -

• Options

MaxPB said:

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

And if the only way to secure that in this country is to quarantine at the border until the rest of the world catches up then JFDI.

Holidays domestically during a pandemic is better than constantly shutting down everyone's daily lives.
    Absolutely. I say that as someone who can't wait to jet off to Puglia for wine, beaches and escaping this bullshit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I wonder what would happen if the UK govt said we are closing the UK borders due to saffer covid. Including the Eire/Ulster border.

Ethically, it would be hard for the EU to object
    We would first have to show the slightest interest in closing border we have more control of.

Like Heathrow.
  • Options

Is he one of those types that have been radicalised online?
    Though perhaps there's been a bit of de-radicalising going on given he's deleted tweets relating to Trump.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Vaccination news: Wor Lass just had a call from the GP - appointment for a jab on Wednesday. Having a chronic medical condition occasionally has its advantages. (Having to shield with me for 3 months was one of the downsides)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Hope springs eternal, pt 117.
  • Options

Though perhaps there's been a bit of de-radicalising going on given he's deleted tweets relating to Trump.
    Andrew Neil has also gone full batshit recently.

He only used to be 3/4 batshit.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Devon looking good -

So much of this is population density. Many of those white areas are amongst the emptiest in southern England. Despite being lush and fertile, and rather lovely.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

rcs1000 said:

When the virus mutates and a new vaccine is manufactured to deal with the new spike or whatever it targets then does that new adjusted vaccine need to go through Phase III and all the other trials again, like the first one did, or can it be used immediately?

Given that the trials were the time consuming element prior to manufacture, how much time can be saved on new vaccinations?

It can be used immediately*, hence why we don't trial the flu vaccine every year.

So where is the line drawn between a new variant of a vaccine that can be used immediately and a new vaccine that requires full trials?
    That's a good question: my guess is that the fairly small changes to mRNA "recipes" required to deal with a new variant of Covid would not require them.

I'd be very surprised if Pfizer and Moderna were not currently using at least one of their production facilities for a "tweaked" version of their vaccines to deal with SA Covid. The questions are: (1) when did they start this process? (2) when will the initial batches be ready? (3) how much (if any) validation will they wait for before mass producing it.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that one will only need a single booster of the Pfizer SA variant.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Australia had a massive party over Christmas and new year - the UK plan should be to emulate that in the summer.

Get everyone vaccinated, cases right down but with the border closed, let's all holiday domestically and spend money in @Cyclefree's daughter's pub.

(I'm living abroad, but with WFH could be willing to quarantine and go see my parents in the summer. Not seen them in nearly two years).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think it is entirely right that when the government is dictating who you can and cannot have sex with, amongst other things, that there are many voices who constantly ask "why?"

Fair enough, but I was objecting to the emotive and inaccurate use of 'house arrest'.

And, frankly, I don't really think the government is dictating who you can have sex with. As long as you're discreet about it. I've not heard of anybody being arrested for going to somebody else's house for sex - have you? The nearest is Ferguson, but he had a high, and relevant, public profile.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?

Oh wow, I never even knew there was a prison in Rutland. It's right at the northern corner of the county, thankfully well away from my parents in Uppingham - not that they've met another human in weeks, apart from their trips to the vaccine centre.
    Apparently, yonks ago, there was a requirement that every county town in England had to build a prison, no matter how small the county was. A number still in place though I suspect most have long been superseded and the sites cleared for housing, night clubs, empty office blocks etc.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is this correct from the thread header ?
    ...This leads to extremely effective vaccines. When Oxford/AstraZeneca used a Chimpanzee virus to make their vaccine, they relied on altering an existing virus so it looked enough like Covid to fool the body’s immune system. But the tolerances are always small with this kind of approach, because the adapted virus still had to carry a bunch of genetic material related to the original (Chimpanzee) virus...

That's not how the Oxford vaccine works.
    It uses a modified chimpanzee virus as a carrier so that it's not recognised by the immune system. The virus is replication incompetent, but get's into human calls, which it them instructs to produce copies of the spike protein, as do the mRNA vaccines.
    It is the copies of the spike proteins produced by the vaccinated patient's cells which stimulate the immune system in both cases.

In terms of modifications to the vaccine, you're still altering a DNA template with a different version of the spike protein, so again not a wildly different process from modifying the mRNA vaccines.

The manufacturing process is, of course, very different, and it's easier to reuse the mRNA delivery technology in subjects who've already been exposed to it, as the lipid package isn't going to be recognised by the immune system in the way that previous exposure to a viral vector is going to prime it to recognise that reused vector.

Yes, the mRNA vector is the big win from this pandemic. Robert is absolutely right about how big of an advancement it is. The CureVac version seems to only need normal refrigeration too which seems to be why the government has got GSK to buy it and manufacture it domestically.

The Novavax vaccine uses a lipid layer delivery and viral proteins so it should also be very good candidate for annual booster shots.
  • Options

His new news channel is going to wind a lot of people in MSM up

It will be very interesting how it pans out
  • Options
    Vaxometer

Target 15,000,000
    Thru 12,294,006
    Required 2,705,994

Days to target 7
    Yesterday’s return 278,988
    Required rate 386,571 (↑ from 373,123 yesterday)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited February 2021
    Well, duh.? And I am sure their 'getting their backs up' is not itself a political reaction to events. It's very easy to say you are willing to be pragmatic when you are not - we do it and they do it - so blaming the other side for your own decision not to be 'pragmatic' whatever that means is absolutely par for the course in this from both sides, an absolute shower. Gove and the UK will say the EU's actions have forced a rethink, the EU will say of course they are willing to talk but Gove's letter makes that impossible in the way he wants.

Diplomatic nonsense, the lot of it. I'd not believe either side if they told me my name was kle4.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited February 2021
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?

Apparently, yonks ago, there was a requirement that every county town in England had to build a prison, no matter how small the county was. A number still in place though I suspect most have long been superseded and the sites cleared for housing, night clubs, empty office blocks etc.
    The things you learn every day on PB. Of course, the justice system was always locally based, so when you think about it all counties would have had a prison - even the smallest.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

I hate to say this vaccinations must also be made compulsory.

If it is compulsory by law to put ones life on hold to protect those most vulnerable (a draconian act in itself) then the least that can happen is that it's compulsory for those to have the vaccines(s) to allow the vast majority of people to have their lives back.

• Options

MSM LOL.

No doubt you’ll tell us how it’s going on your full time role as special Pb correspondent for pro-govt cable news.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Either he is rather overhyping his new platform in order to push its appeal, which is somewhat forgivable, or despite protests he really does want a Fox News style media, in which case he is going a bit barmy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Devon looking good -

So much of this is population density. Many of those white areas are amongst the emptiest in southern England. Despite being lush and fertile, and rather lovely.
    Even more lovely, I live in a "suppressed" area there.....
  • Options
    Yet another vacancy in US House today, following the death of Rep. Ron Wright (R-Texas), who died Sunday after contracting COVID.

He represented TX CD06, which includes most of Arlington (in between Dallas and Forth Worth) as well as exurban > rural Waxahachie and Corsicana. District has been in Republican hands since former congressman Phil Gramm (remember him?) switched parties in the early 1980s.

However, Democrats have done better in recent years. So upcoming special election could be interesting.

Note that there are current three vacancies in the US House: TX CD06 plus LA CD02 (New Orleans, Dem district) and LA CD05 (northeast Louisiana, Rep district).
  • Options
    edited February 2021

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Fair enough, but I was objecting to the emotive and inaccurate use of 'house arrest'.

And, frankly, I don't really think the government is dictating who you can have sex with. As long as you're discreet about it. I've not heard of anybody being arrested for going to somebody else's house for sex - have you? The nearest is Ferguson, but he had a high, and relevant, public profile.
    Well a bit like @Philip_Thompson and the BBC licence fee the law (or guidelines or regulations or rules) says one thing and people do another. But there were IIRC explicit (!) rules around having sex with someone outside your own household.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

Spot on.
  • Options
    Yay - Jean-Claude Van Tam....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

UK local R

@Foxy?

POSITIVUM MUTATIO
    Yes, as ironic as it is ungrammatical!
    It really isn't very good. As you say it should be positiva but that doesn't mean positive in the required sense anyway, it only gets to mean that after you've invented negative numbers, which the Romans didn't.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Well a bit like @Philip_Thompson and the BBC licence fee the law (or guidelines or regulations or rules) says one thing and people do another. But there were IIRC explicit (!) rules around having sex with someone outside your own household.
    You have to have the opportunity and setting to find someone to have sex with in the first place!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The man so awful he was removed as a Chief Justice, twice, for judicial misconduct, and gifted a senate seat to the Democrats in Alabama?

An inspired choice for Republicans.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1358810891857362944?s=20
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

I love this line - from Murrell about Salmond’s casual visit

“I just thought he was popping in for a chat about, you know, any, any matter.”

There are times when the most anodyne words simply scream: I AM LYING

This is such a time
    Salmond lives a three and a half hour drive away. How often do you "pop in" from a 7 hour round-trip?
  • Options

Not weird at all

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1358823946238492673?s=20
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    91% vaccine uptake in over 80's - must be a challenging group, as there will be a significant number with dementia who have no idea what's going on.

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    edited February 2021
    Beauregard!

"For everything there is a season" - Turn! Turn! Very apt for a party switcher.
  • Options

That's well below your normal high standard - your 99% figure is just gross exaggeration. 80% maybe I'd have given you. :) Anyway, even you must admit that Goodwin's line on everything has become tediously predictable.
    When '99%' turns out to be only mild hyperbole, that might be a sign that certain disciplines are failing to adequately represent the true diversity of our society :wink:

He's had a fair run of predictive success and even some decent analysis over the last decade, but like so many artists and scholars he keeps coming back to his greatest hits because he's afraid he may not have any more. I'm happy for him to keep buggering on.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    edited February 2021

military industries.

China Spies Update

"Researchers at Cambridge have cooperated in research on gyroscope's with researchers from China..."

Well, that doesn't look like a very strong piece of evidence.

It is a bit like saying research on vitamins with China is contributing to the military effort as it is making their service personnel healthy.
    Gyroscopes are important in aiming missiles.

ETA the Cambridge response: Summary of response from Cambridge
    “The Cavendish Laboratory does not have, nor has ever had, any projects, research grants or
    contracts with NUDT or other military institutions in China. There was an MoU between the
    groups, but this never led to any formal research funding, lapsed in 2018 and has not been
    renewed.”

https://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/ChinaReport.pdf
  • Options

Professor Robert Dingwall, who sits on the government's expert Nervtag group (New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group) suggests people should not be alarmed.

"It's very hard to see why this study has generated so much publicity unless people are looking actively for bad news stories," he said.

He emphasises how small the study is, and cites "massive degrees of uncertainty around the result".

"This is really not a piece of work that should command any great respect or confidence, obviously it's worth following up and taking a closer look at things.

"But the idea that this one small piece of work should be used to jeopardise public confidence or to provoke a major shift in policy is really just a little bit absurd."

Quite right Francis, so take his advice? You are one of the best posters around but you can be prone to jumping to conclusions, it comes across as panicky at times.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Sandpit said:

To me this has a distinct Magnificent Seven vibe to it -

Yul Brynner IS PM Boris "Boris" Johnson: He picked Kate and she was great.
    Steve McQueen IS Sir Richard Vallance: The Boffin who kept things real.
    Olivia Coleman IS Kate Bingham: She was it. She took no shit!
    As Himself: Chancellor Rishi Sunak: He ate the risk for breakfast.
    Robert Carlyle IS Dominic Cummings: He was there until he wasn't.
    Ross Kemp IS Nick Elliot: Bomb disposal expert who would not take no for an answer.
    And finally ... Matt Hancock. He watched a film.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The man so awful he was removed as a Chief Justice, twice, for judicial misconduct, and gifted a senate seat to the Democrats in Alabama?

An inspired choice for Republicans.
    The very same.

Was a great political betting event.
  • Options

If its purpose is to wind up others then I question its motives as a news platform.

And that MSM crap needs to be nipped right in the bud - its a label used even by mainstream outlets to belittle their opponents even when they are equally mainstream. And that they have opponents is part of the problem.
  • Options
    Hancock- England all 70+ who have not yet had an appointment for a vaccination book online/call NHS/your GP. Similar schemes will be rolled out in rUK.
  • Options
    From the aforementioned Speccie article: Awesome work from everyone involved.

"But there were still several near-misses. One came during the port closures following the French response to the Kent strain of Covid. Lorries were stuck on motorways and among them a delivery of Pfizer vaccines that, once loaded, had to be used within ten days. Ruth Todd didn’t sleep for 36 hours as she came up with contingency plans, including an RAF airlift. ‘We got it from Belgium through France, through the tunnel, into the UK, into our warehouse, in the middle of 3,000 lorries being stuck,’ says one involved.

• Options

MSM LOL.

No doubt you’ll tell us how it’s going on your full time role as special Pb correspondent for pro-govt cable news.
    No idea about cable but I understand it will broadcast across the Sky platform and will be in direct competition to Sky and BBC
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's fairly simple if you're just changing a few proteins on the vaccine antigen. We know that the spike works in vaccines, and this is just a slight modification; and the delivery vehicle is pretty well identical.
    Major changes would require a full set of clinical trials.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Covid vaccination is going to be a bit like painting the Forth Bridge for a couple of years. But every time we'll be taking more steps forward than back.
    Just stop with convalescent plasma therapy to avoid quick mutations.
This discussion has been closed.