Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How do you solve a solution like the Northern Ireland Protocol? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482

ping said:

ping said:

Attention, sports fans! Superbowl LV starts in just under one half hour.

Any tips?

Where’s @Tissue_Price when you need him? Iirc, NFL is his area of expertise. Probably has some lame excuse about representing the people, or something. Pft
    Anyway, I’m on tampa+3 @ evens

Should be fun.

Anyone else betting?
    Not yours truly. But for what it's worth, most of the sports media pundits seem to agree with your assessment; they are (mostly) assuming a high-scoring game, with KC & PM scoring just a bit more than TB & TB.
    Seashanty, apropos of nothing, do you like Nanci Griffiths? She is one of my fave US artists because my Dad listened to her a lot. Her song Gulf Coast Highway popped into my head today.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited February 2021
    Floater said:
    Looking at the Superbowl tonight which has 22,000 in the crowd in Tampa, Florida, expect those numbers to rise further
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615
    edited February 2021

ping said:

ping said:

Any tips?

Where’s @Tissue_Price when you need him? Iirc, NFL is his area of expertise. Probably has some lame excuse about representing the people, or something. Pft

Should be fun.

Anyone else betting?
    Not yours truly. But for what it's worth, most of the sports media pundits seem to agree with your assessment; they are (mostly) assuming a high-scoring game, with KC & PM scoring just a bit more than TB & TB.
    Seashanty, apropos of nothing, do you like Nanci Griffiths? She is one of my fave US artists because my Dad listened to her a lot. Her song Gulf Coast Highway popped into my head today.
    LG, ashamed to say, was unfamiliar with this song UNTIL you brought it to my attention. What a classic!

GULF COAST HIGHWAY
    by Nanci Griffith, James Brown, James Hooker, Danny Flowers

Gulf Coast Highway, he worked the rails
    He worked the rice fields with their cold dark wells
    He worked the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico
    The only thing we've ever owned is this old house here by the road

And when he dies
    He says he'll catch some blackbird's wing
    And we will fly away to heaven
    Come some sweet blue bonnet spring

She walked through springtime, when I was home
    The days were sweet, our nights were warm
    The seasons changed, the jobs would come
    The flowers fade, and this old house felt so alone
    When the work took me away

And when she dies
    She said she'll catch some blackbird's wing
    And she will fly away to heaven

Highway 90, the jobs are gone
    We tend our garden, we set the sun
    This is the only place on earth blue bonnets grow
    And once a year they come and go
    At this old house here by the road

And when we die
    We say we'll catch some blackbird's wing
    We will fly away to heaven

(FYI, yours truly used to just a few miles from the Gulf Coast Highway, aka US Highway 90, near New Orleans. Both Ms Griffith and bluebonnets are products of Texas, but the rice fields and oil wells are both characteristic of the Gulf Coast of both the Pelican State and the Lone Star State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUYwIdxRWs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Looking at the Superbowl tonight which has 25,000 in the crowd in Tampa, Florida, expect those numbers to rise further
    This is one time I agree with you. Although the NFL has made a big deal, that about 7k or so in the stadium are health care workers who have been vaccinated.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Looking at the Superbowl tonight which has 25,000 in the crowd in Tampa, Florida, expect those numbers to rise further
    This is one time I agree with you. Although the NFL has made a big deal, that about 7k or so in the stadium are health care workers who have been vaccinated.
    Indeed, even if not full capacity and with some vacccinated, 22,000 is far too many.

The national anthem rendition was also a very underwhelming effort, one of the worst I have heard before a Superbowl. So The Weeknd needs to make up for it at half time
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Indeed, even if not full capacity and with some vacccinated, 22,000 is far too many.

The national anthem rendition was also a very underwhelming effort, one of the worst I have heard
    Billy Bob was awful.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

George Shultz goes down in history as one of the best Secretaries of State in American history. Granted, that is NOT a high bar, but it's true in his case.

As a lifelong Republican, he managed to be loyal both his party and his country, and willing to work together with folks from very different parties, countries and perspectives.

His final years were rather marred by his involvement with the Theranos corporate scandal, but it is telling that he was saved from himself by the honesty & courage of his own grandson.

It seems the apple did NOT fall too far from the tree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Shultz
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989

Why are Liverpool Victoria sponsoring the Superbowl?

Hello and goodnight all.

P.S. After 10 months, I finally finished War and Peace today. Now for something slightly shorter...
    Well done!
    You'll be wanting to read it again before long. I did.
  • Options
    Re: the Superbowl and the National Anthem, perhaps the greatest was by the late, great Whitney Houston in 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_lCmBvYMRs
  • Options
    Game so far as underwhelming as the ads.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Looking at the Superbowl tonight which has 22,000 in the crowd in Tampa, Florida, expect those numbers to rise further
    You saw the video of a supermarket in Florida that I shared? Absolute madness in the current situation.
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    You saw the video of a supermarket in Florida that I shared? Absolute madness in the current situation.
    Though to be fair Florida did vote for Trump last November and has never been very supportive of the lockdown
  • Options
    Just took a peek at the Big Game for a few minutes.

Am personally torn because I admire AND like BOTH Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes. To different degrees and for different reasons.

Brady because he is the old man's dream of never-ending youth (or a reasonable facsimile). Mahomes because he's just such a nice AND talented young guy.

Each is the quintessential American sporting hero - brave, courageous, bold and above all successful.

My own instincts are a wee bit slanted to Brady, because I think that winning Superbowl LV means more for him, and probably to him, than it does for Mahomes. Who will have (God willing) many more seasons to show his qualities and rack up his victories.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

The national anthem rendition was also a very underwhelming effort, one of the worst I have heard before a Superbowl. So The Weeknd needs to make up for it at half time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ2tN3U9Xhk
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989

Am personally torn because I admire AND like BOTH Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes. To different degrees and for different reasons.

Brady because he is the old man's dream of never-ending youth (or a reasonable facsimile). Mahomes because he's just such a nice AND talented young guy.

Each is the quintessential American sporting hero - brave, courageous, bold and above all successful.

My own instincts are a wee bit slanted to Brady, because I think that winning Superbowl LV means more for him, and probably to him, than it does for Mahomes. Who will have (God willing) many more seasons to show his qualities and rack up his victories.

A thought. It is curious that most American team sports actually revolve around individuals.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    edited February 2021

ping said:

ping said:

Any tips?

Should be fun.

Anyone else betting?
    LG, ashamed to say, was unfamiliar with this song UNTIL you brought it to my attention. What a classic!

GULF COAST HIGHWAY
    by Nanci Griffith, James Brown, James Hooker, Danny Flowers

Gulf Coast Highway, he worked the rails
    He worked the rice fields with their cold dark wells
    He worked the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico
    The only thing we've ever owned is this old house here by the road

And when he dies
    He says he'll catch some blackbird's wing
    And we will fly away to heaven

She walked through springtime, when I was home
    The days were sweet, our nights were warm
    The seasons changed, the jobs would come
    The flowers fade, and this old house felt so alone
    When the work took me away

And when she dies
    She said she'll catch some blackbird's wing
    And she will fly away to heaven

Highway 90, the jobs are gone
    We tend our garden, we set the sun
    This is the only place on earth blue bonnets grow
    And once a year they come and go
    At this old house here by the road

And when we die
    We say we'll catch some blackbird's wing
    We will fly away to heaven

(FYI, yours truly used to just a few miles from the Gulf Coast Highway, aka US Highway 90, near New Orleans. Both Ms Griffith and bluebonnets are products of Texas, but the rice fields and oil wells are both characteristic of the Gulf Coast of both the Pelican State and the Lone Star State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUYwIdxRWs
    Great song for sure - glad to have introduced you to it. Sort of song where I would imagine an American listening to it could forget that they support Trump or Biden. Trouble in the fields is another Americana classic, but to be honest she has too many to mention.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Good game

I shouldn’t have taken the the spread. Tampa are gonna win this outright.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,936
    Brady to Gronk !
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A thought. It is curious that most American team sports actually revolve around individuals.
    At least since Casey at the Bat.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    dixiedean said:

But they don't really, at least not in the successful teams. Commentary may do, but they really do - and need to in order to win - play as teams.
  • Options
    Well this isn't going to go down as a classic Half time performance.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747
    Nice to hear a bit of Happy House by Siouxsie and the Banshees.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021
    Game over...OAP QB wins another super bowl.

Chiefs can't stop Brady, Brown and Gonk.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747
    Not an expert but apparently the Kansas City Chiefs were big favourites.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Not an expert but apparently the Kansas City Chiefs were big favourites.

Yes, they are a very strong team.
This discussion has been closed.