Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How do you solve a solution like the Northern Ireland Protocol? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited February 2021 in General
imageHow do you solve a solution like the Northern Ireland Protocol? – politicalbetting.com

Much like getting your girlfriend pregnant on a pull out sofa there’s a deep sense of irony that the Conservative & Unionist Party, aided and abetted by the DUP, have via Brexit done more to weaken Northern Ireland’s place in the United Kingdom than the IRA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    LOL at pullout sofa gag.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,567
    I hadn't heaqrd that description of Irish Gaelic - and TUV had to apologise, I find:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/tuv-apologise-for-calling-irish-a-leprechaun-language-28524816.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

LOL at pullout sofa gag.

I liked it as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Re the trigger for reunionref, isn't that legislation a dead letter? It's up to the SoSfNI to decide when one is needed. And that is Mr Johnson's lackey anyway. So he can just say no till someome else gets the baby.
  • Options
    But disappointing vaccination numbers... expansion in England seems to have stalled.

We need a new target of 1 million a day.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I hadn't heaqrd that description of Irish Gaelic - and TUV had to apologise, I find:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/tuv-apologise-for-calling-irish-a-leprechaun-language-28524816.html

They are a very interesting bunch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/8393317.stm

Their leader is a supporter of the Caleb Foundation, they want creationism taught alongside evolution.

The views on gays/LGBTQI people are conservative, pre Plantagenet conservative.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2021
    Ahem, back to my serious self:

Good suggestion, but isn't there a bit of a practical problem? If Sir Keir is to present himself as the man to help keep Northern Ireland in the Union by fixing the Northern Ireland protocol, he needs to have an answer to the next question, which will be 'How?'
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    edited February 2021
    At least Thatch was only in at the start of the inexorable road to Scottish indy, BJ looks likely to bairn both indy and Irish reunification. Typically he doesn't want to be around for either birth, and he definitely doesn't want his name on the birth certificates.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

But disappointing vaccination numbers... expansion in England seems to have stalled.

I think it's very clearly a supply issue and I think the government is probably looking at the second jabs needing to start while also keeping the first jabs going.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Could be worse, it could be a pull-out sofa in a condominium.

Even worse, if the reason why they were using the pull-out sofa in the condominium was because of a broken waterbed.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Does anyone have a copy of the pulled down Scottish plan that had the expected vaccine delivery numbers in it?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    IshmaelZ said:

LOL at pullout sofa gag.

How did know, right from the opening clause, that TSE wrote this one?

Or at least, it would have coitus apprise to find someone else had.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    edited February 2021
    Carnyx said:

Re the trigger for reunionref, isn't that legislation a dead letter? It's up to the SoSfNI to decide when one is needed. And that is Mr Johnson's lackey anyway. So he can just say no till someome else gets the baby.

I think there's an option to take it to judicial review if the parties involved feel that the SoS for NI is sitting on his arse. Doubtless that would move with the nimble celerity for which HMG is noted when it comes to constitutional matters.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I think there's an option to take it to judicial review if the parties involved feel that the SoS for NI is sitting on his arse.
    Really? Seems like there would be constant JR if that was the criteria. I mean, it's what most people sit on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

We need a supply of a million a day first.....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think it's very clearly a supply issue and I think the government is probably looking at the second jabs needing to start while also keeping the first jabs going.
    Another possibility is that they are running out of the easiest-to-reach people in the currently eligible priority groups, or of those willing to be jabbed (especially healthcare and care home workers, where there seems to be some resistance).

Maybe they should start opening up group 5.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I think there's an option to take it to judicial review if the parties involved feel that the SoS for NI is sitting on his arse. Doubtless that would move with the nimble celerity for which HMG is noted when it comes to constitutional matters.
    Mind, if Ireland and Mr Biden get involved, that might speed things up. Not at that stage yet though.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Good suggestion, but isn't there a bit of a practical problem? If Sir Keir is to present himself as the man to help keep Northern Ireland in the Union by fixing the Northern Ireland protocol, he needs to have an answer to the next question, which will be 'How?'

Isn't Starmer's question "Which flags do I stand beside?"
  • Options

Even worse, if the reason why they were using the pull-out sofa in the condominium was because of a broken waterbed.
    That pun is hard to cap.
  • Options
    How do we get rid of this unelected parasite? What does have to hide?

The Queen successfully lobbied the government to change a draft law in order to conceal her “embarrassing” private wealth from the public, according to documents discovered by the Guardian.

A series of government memos unearthed in the National Archives reveal that Elizabeth Windsor’s private lawyer put pressure on ministers to alter proposed legislation to prevent her shareholdings from being disclosed to the public.

Following the Queen’s intervention, the government inserted a clause into the law granting itself the power to exempt companies used by “heads of state” from new transparency measures.

The arrangement, which was concocted in the 1970s, was used in effect to create a state-backed shell corporation which is understood to have placed a veil of secrecy over the Queen’s private shareholdings and investments until at least 2011.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/07/revealed-queen-lobbied-for-change-in-law-to-hide-her-private-wealth
  • Options

That pun is hard to cap.
    Indeed; it's one of the ways in which TSE lubricates our political intercourse on this site.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

How do we get rid of this unelected parasite? What does have to hide?

We vote for parties who want to form a republic - it's not hard.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

No, remember the EU and the USA are guarantors of the peace, so they can place pressure on the UK Government both directly and indirectly, plus as others have noted, if the SoS sits on their hands, it should be able to be judicially reviewed.

The Institute of Government did a pamphlet on what might be the trigger(s) for a unity referendum, it included things which I hadn't considered before. I see if I can dig it out.
  • Options
    I have only one issue with the article

Just how does Starmer fix the protocol
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,075

EFTA?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL at pullout sofa gag.

It contained all my usual attributes, a sober and unimaginative opening.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325
    Give Northern Ireland to the South. It would be Greeks bearing a gift, but who cares. End of story.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

EFTA?
    And how does that affect trading worldwide and the TPP
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL at pullout sofa gag.

OK, I withdraw from trying to make jokes.
  • Options

Give Northern Ireland to the South. It would be Greeks bearing a gift, but who cares. End of story.

Does Ireland even want re-unification
  • Options

Hey Norns, you're a thing we possess and can give away, you ok with that?
  • Options
    Here it is.

As part of the Good Friday Agreement, an explicit provision for holding a Northern Ireland border poll was made in UK law. The Northern Ireland Act 1998 states that “if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland”, the Secretary of State shall make an Order in Council enabling a border poll.

It is not clear exactly what would satisfy this requirement. The Constitution Unit suggests that a consistent majority in opinion polls, a Catholic majority in a census, a nationalist majority in the Northern Ireland Assembly, or a vote by a majority in the Assembly could all be considered evidence of majority support for a united Ireland. However, the Secretary of State must ultimately decide whether the condition has been met.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/irish-reunification

I always thought it would be something like votes/seats at the Assembly/Westminster, didn't really think about the census being a trigger.

Hey Unionists, the census is something the Catholic Church and the Pope are behind, boycott the census.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL at pullout sofa gag.

Do you want your deposit back?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

EFTA?
    I don't know. But fixing NI would be a big win. Bigger than any losses, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL at pullout sofa gag.

Do you want your deposit back?
    Please don't interruptus.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL at pullout sofa gag.

We shall call that the withdrawal method.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

kinabalu said:

EFTA?
    In theory it doesn't. But we're not even in CPTPP yet!

The easiest fix to the Northern Ireland protocol is Irish unification.
  • Options

Here it is.

As part of the Good Friday Agreement, an explicit provision for holding a Northern Ireland border poll was made in UK law. The Northern Ireland Act 1998 states that “if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland”, the Secretary of State shall make an Order in Council enabling a border poll.

It is not clear exactly what would satisfy this requirement. The Constitution Unit suggests that a consistent majority in opinion polls, a Catholic majority in a census, a nationalist majority in the Northern Ireland Assembly, or a vote by a majority in the Assembly could all be considered evidence of majority support for a united Ireland. However, the Secretary of State must ultimately decide whether the condition has been met.

I always thought it would be something like votes/seats at the Assembly/Westminster, didn't really think about the census being a trigger.

Hey Unionists, the census is something the Catholic Church and the Pope are behind, boycott the census.

What I find remarkable is the author's faith (so to speak) that religion divides so neatly with yes/no vote.

(One wonders whether the atheists, Mormons, Muslims, and Jedi KNights are tobe considered DKs and added to the Union side, like the dead in Scotland in 1978.)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Does anyone have a copy of the pulled down Scottish plan that had the expected vaccine delivery numbers in it?

And was it based on jags given or jags offered?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

That wouldn't fix it at all. In fact it would make it much, much worse. They already have low friction at the NI/Republic border, the issue is the NI/GB border.

See Scotland, IndyRef2 for further details.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

That wouldn't fix it at all. In fact it would make it much, much worse. They already have low friction and the NI/Republic border, the issue is the NI/GB border.

It would fix it because the Ireland/GB border would just be the Irish Sea as per any other international border.

"not our problem anymore"
  • Options
    TUV got precisely ZERO votes at GE2019
  • Options

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

That wouldn't fix it at all. In fact it would make it much, much worse. They already have low friction and the NI/Republic border, the issue is the NI/GB border.

It would fix it because the Ireland/GB border would just be the Irish Sea as per any other international border.

Exactly. Baby taken to adoption clinic and dumped.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

Well, true, it would fix it in that sense, but that wouldn't be much of a consolation to NI, or indeed the Republic.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

I am not at all, sure that it is the easiest fix

If threats can be made after the EU threatened A16, just how serious could it become with the extremists at the thought of unification

The easiest and best answer is to make the protocol work and that is the responsibility of the EU - Irish - UK governments
  • Options

Here it is.

PS Just occurred to me - boycotting the census is the last thing they should do.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

That wouldn't fix it at all. In fact it would make it much, much worse. They already have low friction at the NI/Republic border, the issue is the NI/GB border.

It would fix it politically though. You'd no longer have friction within the UK single market.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?
    I don't know. But fixing NI would be a big win. Bigger than any losses, I'd have thought.
    Not possible if we have joined all these organisations by GE24

Looks as if we are closing in on a 100 billion trade deal with India
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

How much is eu free trade worth?
  • Options

Who knows. TSE just links Starmer to being useful and Boris not. Thats good enough. Innit? And ignores the beloved EU who played politics with the NI border and indeed have continued to to do so.

Ha... "cuckolded". Ever so clever. What crude analogy can we say when the EU say to Ireland, "Lie back and think of the Blarney Stone"
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

We have a trade deal with the EU

The trade deals already signed plus TPP will extend our tariff free trading worldwide
  • Options

Who knows. TSE just links Starmer to being useful and Boris not. Thats good enough. Innit? And ignores the beloved EU who played politics with the NI border and indeed have continued to to do so.

Ha... "cuckolded". Ever so clever. What crude analogy can we say when the EU say to Ireland, "Lie back and think of the Blarney Stone"
    I'm sorry you don't speak French, I was talking about cuckolded in the French bird sense, which was backed up by references to Perfidious Albion Boris Johnson and attaquons dans ses eaux la perfide Albion.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    DIY experts of PB. I was wondering if you could help me.

Does anyone know what could have caused this mark appearing on the wall of my house? The house was built circa 3 years ago.

It certainly feels like its caused by moisture as paint comes off when you touch it but nothing looks amiss outside on the brickwork.

• Options

Does anyone know what could have caused this mark appearing on the wall of my house? The house was built circa 3 years ago.

It certainly feels like its caused by moisture as paint comes off when you touch it but nothing looks amiss outside on the brickwork.

When it happened in mine, it was a leaking gutter.
  • Options

Does Ireland even want re-unification
    Oh well, if only Ireland wasn't Partitioned a hundred years ago!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

The trade deals already signed plus TPP will extend our tariff free trading worldwide
    Does that apply to services ?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

I don't know from where you are getting this 100 billion figure - in 2016 bilateral trade was worth £15.4 billion - India was our 13th largest export market outside the EU.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I thought this but the drainpipe isn't particularly close to the corner. :/
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Here it is.

PS Just occurred to me - boycotting the census is the last thing they should do.
    It would be the last thing Unionists would do, on the grounds that the Union would thereby cease.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    Of course the Unionists could become effective kingmakers in a United Ireland. Almost certainly holding the balance of power semi-permanently.
    But they won't.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,035

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

Why do you insist on ruining the narrative with facts?
  • Options
    Can Labour Ever Win Again?

A bit like a thread in summer 1997 asking "Can the Tories ever win again?"
  • Options
    @Gallowgate I had a similar issue in a previous house, it turned to be a broken tile that had allowed water to seep through.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

I looked it up .its about 300 billion.two more deals like that and we don't need the EU. They sell nearly 400 billion to us... castrate the EU with deals to the rest of the world.

The French requirement for a 3 day covid test is the best possible reason not to do business with them. They don't deserve our business.
  • Options

@Gallowgate I had a similar issue in a previous house, it turned to be a broken tile that had allowed water to seep through.

Would that affect the ground floor though? This is right next to the skirting board. The room upstairs above it is completely fine as far as I can see.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Definitely damp. I take it that's a skirting board below, i.e. this is about a foot off floor level? In which case, almost certainly rising damp. Either the damp-proof course wasn't done properly, or something is bridging it - could there be a plant stuck to the wall, or soil heaped up against it?

Alternatively a gutter is blocked or failing, causing a lot of splashing against the wall.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

I doubt this means it will be literally impossible to join EFTA. But, yes, as a general point the more we diverge from Europe and lock in deals elsewhere, the harder it is to move back towards the EU, and as a consequence the more intractable becomes the issue of the Irish Sea border.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

I had an intermittent leak in a roof of my house in London many years back. It was a slightly lifted tile, some distance from the stained plaster. It only leaked when the rain was hard enough and the wind from a particular direction and strong. Then it tracked some weird way once it was in the house under the tiles.

Water leaks can be a bugger to diagnose and even harder to fix. Good luck.
  • Options
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

I don't know from where you are getting this 100 billion figure - in 2016 bilateral trade was worth £15.4 billion - India was our 13th largest export market outside the EU.
    Googling throws up an article in the Express...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1393457/brexit-news-india-trade-deal-uk-liz-truss-boris-johnson-cptpp-eu

Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Here it is.

Nationalists boycotted the 1973 referendum, resulting in a 98% pro-Union vote.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

Why do you insist on ruining the narrative with facts?
    Be positive, at least he's talking about something other than how awful Mark Drakeford is.

It's like hearing the Rime of the Ancient Mariner on a continuous loop.
  • Options

Definitely damp. I take it that's a skirting board below, i.e. this is about a foot off floor level? In which case, almost certainly rising damp. Either the damp-proof course wasn't done properly, or something is bridging it - could there be a plant stuck to the wall, or soil heaped up against it?
    That sounds worrying. There's some moss on some of the mortar on that corner, could that be causing it, or perhaps a symptom of it?

I guess I have some Googling to do.
  • Options

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1393457/brexit-news-india-trade-deal-uk-liz-truss-boris-johnson-cptpp-eu

'A trade deal with India could be as high as £50-100 billion'

Got to love the error bars on that.
  • Options
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

Last year it was 24 billion and the 100 figure was quoted but I honestly cannot recall the source
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Mortar bridging a wall tie maybe
  • Options
    edited February 2021

That sounds worrying. There's some moss on some of the mortar on that corner, could that be causing it, or perhaps a symptom of it?

Moss is probably a symptom, not a cause, but I'd get rid of it anyway (having taken a photo in case you need to get the original builders back under the NHBC guarantee, assuming you have one).
  • Options

Would that affect the ground floor though? This is right next to the skirting board. The room upstairs above it is completely fine as far as I can see.
    Not sure.

Do you have something like HomeServe emergency cover/Buildings insurance

It's how I got them to come out to deal with my issue.
  • Options

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

'A trade deal with India could be as high as £50-100 billion'

Got to love the error bars on that.
    I'm a physics teacher.
    I always love an error bar.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,486

Agree. I think if there was anything useful to say about How that TSE would have tried to answer the question set in the headline.

Could I suggest that while for Corbyn and co to suggest a radical solution to the Irish problem would be impossible as it would be seen as giving in to the extremists, SKS as a genuine sensible person could take a radical approach and get away with it.

Namely that while Labour policy is about consent blah blah, its aim is that in these changed, Brexity circumstances the only possible answers involve no part of the island of Ireland being part of the current UK, for the simple reason that no solution can be found which squares the circle. The whole of the island has to be in the same trading bloc as itself, whether all in the EU or all outside it, whether as two independent countries (N and S) or one united one (which I favour). Unionism with regard to Irish affairs is dying. Good.

Just as Brexit allows the SNP to claim a reason for a new referendum, Brexit allows all bets to be off about opposition policies for a peaceful island of Ireland.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817

stodge said:

Last year it was 24 billion and the 100 figure was quoted but I honestly cannot recall the source
    It seems it was quoted in the Express so that tells you all you need to know.
  • Options

Moss is probably a symptom, not a cause, but I'd get rid of it anyway (having taken a photo in case you need to get the original builders back under the NHBC guarantee, assuming you have one).
    I have the NHBC guarantee but I'm not sure this would be covered as it's primarily for structural defects? I will have to read the documentation.

Thanks for the help everyone.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

What kinda DIY do tou think caused that? :smiley:
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EFTA?

I looked it up .its about 300 billion.two more deals like that and we don't need the EU. They sell nearly 400 billion to us... castrate the EU with deals to the rest of the world.

The French requirement for a 3 day covid test is the best possible reason not to do business with them. They don't deserve our business.
    I really do not understand all or nothing trade with the EU

We continue to trade with them, have a trade deal, and are able to strengthen our trading world-wide

We have left the EU and we have to forge new relationships
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Doesn't have to be if the gutter itself is the problem. Might be blocked, or cracked.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543

If the house is ony 3 years old it should be covered by the Home buyer’s 10-year warranty protection.

https://www.new-homes.co.uk/why-buy-new/customer-protection/
  • Options

I have the NHBC guarantee but I'm not sure this would be covered as it's primarily for structural defects? I will have to read the documentation.

Check the gutters first. Good luck!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    There are 2 solutions to the NI Protocol.

First, as Vernon Bogdanor suggested yesterday, the Unionists could win a majority at next year's Assembly elections combining the MLAs of the DUP, UUP and TUV.

Alernatively as TSE suggests Starmer could become PM in 2024 and shift to a softer Brexit deal more closely aligned to the single market and customs union which would largely remove the border in the Irish Sea
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Agree. I think if there was anything useful to say about How that TSE would have tried to answer the question set in the headline.

Could I suggest that while for Corbyn and co to suggest a radical solution to the Irish problem would be impossible as it would be seen as giving in to the extremists, SKS as a genuine sensible person could take a radical approach and get away with it.

Namely that while Labour policy is about consent blah blah, its aim is that in these changed, Brexity circumstances the only possible answers involve no part of the island of Ireland being part of the current UK, for the simple reason that no solution can be found which squares the circle. The whole of the island has to be in the same trading bloc as itself, whether all in the EU or all outside it, whether as two independent countries (N and S) or one united one (which I favour). Unionism with regard to Irish affairs is dying. Good.

Just as Brexit allows the SNP to claim a reason for a new referendum, Brexit allows all bets to be off about opposition policies for a peaceful island of Ireland.

Given forces aligned to former loyalist paramilitaries are already threatening border guards at NI Ports, a United Ireland with a hard border in the Irish Sea would not bring peace to Ireland any more than a hard border within Ireland would in terms of leading to a likely return of the IRA
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

It seems it was quoted in the Express so that tells you all you need to know.
    I did not see it in the express but irrespective a trade deal with India can only be a good thing
  • Options

TUV got precisely ZERO votes at GE2019

That is because TUV did not stand at GE19, they give the DUP a clear run under FPTP at Westminster but challenge them under STV PR Assembly elections and their Leader, Jim McAllister, has a seat at Stormont as a result
  • Options

If the problem is caused by the insulation or mortar bridging the wall ties it may well be a NHBC issue as it could be a structural defect caused in the construction
  • Options

Further investigation. Looks like the soil and stones were right up to the damp proof course in that corner. Ive swept them away a little with my foot.

Worth contacting the builder or wait and see once I’ve dug down a little?

Cheers guys. This is much appreciated.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,486
    HYUFD said:

First, as Vernon Bogdanor suggested yesterday, the Unionists could win a majority at next year's Assembly elections combining the MLAs of the DUP, UUP and TUV.

Alernatively as TSE suggests Starmer could become PM in 2024 and shift to a softer Brexit deal more closely aligned to the single market and customs union which would largely remove the border in the Irish Sea

The first idea here is an election result, not a solution.

Then second essentially abolishes the Brexit deal wholesale. We would have to be closer aligned than Norway for this to work. This would have been an interesting proposal if moderates had come together in an EFTA style deal post 2016. They didn't. The bus has left.

Anyway SM and CUs are basically things you are members of or not. 'More closely aligned' needs a bit of flesh on the bones to make sense.

• Options

Further investigation. Looks like the soil and stones were right up to the damp proof course in that corner. Ive swept them away a little with my foot.

Worth contacting the builder or wait and see once I’ve dug down a little?

Cheers guys. This is much appreciated.

Certainly the external damp course should be above any outside ground cover by at least 150mm (6 inches)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    On trade with India, I find it extremely unlikely that the UK will sign anything more than a cursory "deal" with some nice sounding platitudes for the future. India is a country singularly uninterested in trade deals.
  • Options
    15, 845 cases and 373 deaths
  • Options
    Everything heading down except for testing:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

The first idea here is an election result, not a solution.

Then second essentially abolishes the Brexit deal wholesale. We would have to be closer aligned than Norway for this to work. This would have been an interesting proposal if moderates had come together in an EFTA style deal post 2016. They didn't. The bus has left.

Anyway SM and CUs are basically things you are members of or not. 'More closely aligned' needs a bit of flesh on the bones to make sense.

The first idea is a solution because if the Unionist parties combined get an outright majority at Stormont next year then they can impose a hard border within Ireland rather than the Irish Sea. Boris could then just say he was respecting devolution in action by removing the border in the Irish Sea.

The second would see us accept more single market and customs union regulations yes but I expect that is what a PM Starmer would aim for anyway, after all he rejected even the May deal as too hard before reluctantly backing the Boris Deal after GE19 to avoid No Deal.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,035
    HYUFD said:

Solution one. Have you been drinking?

But so0lution two is a sell out for red wall voters (it would have been fine if Cameron had stayed on and secured that deal quickly- but things have moved on) and confirms Starmer hates the UK and the Union flag and loves the EU.
This discussion has been closed.