Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New US poll finds that if Trump decides to set up a new party 64% of Republicans would back it – pol

124»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Still no vaccines for our surgery here in the Lakes. It's been 3 weeks since they last had supplies. They have done all their group 1-4 and those of us in 5-6 are left anxiously waiting .......

That seems odd. I know some places seem further ahead doing their groups than others, but are deliveries being held back for some surgeries so they don't get too far ahead of other areas, to try to get the top groups done elsewhere?
    As with much we don't know. As the government don't appear to be releasing such information.
    There may be good reasons for that (both benign and manipulative).
    But it isn't really helping the general air of anxiety.
    PS. Nor is it that we are now 96+ hours of constant precipitation up here. It may have stopped briefly while I slept, but the state of the ground suggests not.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006
    Andy_JS said:

Jeremy Cliffe in the New Statesman.

"The bare facts of the EU’s vaccine roll-out require no Eurosceptic spin to be damning. On 31 January France vaccinated 4,560 people. Britain, a country of similar population size, wealth, level of centralisation and pharmaceutical strengths, jabbed 319,038. The EU has vaccinated about three in every 100 people; the UK has vaccinated about 14. I have roughly as many close friends and relatives, of a similar range of ages, in the UK as I do in Germany, where I live. I know about ten jab recipients in the UK and not one here.

No, the EU will not collapse. And yes, it will probably muddle through to some sort of solution over the coming months. But this is unequivocally a farce. Many will die unnecessarily. And the excuses for this European tragedy are unsatisfactory."

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2021/02/why-pro-europeans-should-be-incensed-about-eu-s-vaccines-debacle

The EU's faults are the EU's faults, but France isn't even using half the jabs its getting from the EU. It is pretty much the only country in the EU with a big gap between "doses received" and "doses administered".
  • Options
    flizzyflizzy Posts: 11
    kle4 said:

The new broom at the No 10 Union unit off to a good start

https://twitter.com/ropoem/status/1357828982784278532?s=20

What more d'you want? If we didn't like you we'd have sent Prince Andrew instead.
    Can they promise that the next royal baby will be born in Scotland? I feel like that might be just the thing here.

Problem is probably not A lister royal babies for some time.
    What, so that when Scotland goes independent they'd be eligible to run for president?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

'Scottish independence: Are unionists fighting a losing battle?'

tinyurl.com/10wh5b22

I know there's a big Kevin Hague fan on PB.

'“Some unionists feel like they are fighting a losing battle,” conceded Kevin Hague, a Scotland-based entrepreneur, pro-UK campaigner and chairman of These Islands, a pro-union think-tank.'

It should surprise no one that Kevin is taking the standard Unionist coward's way out of avoiding that losing battle by refusing to let it take place.

'“It’s absolutely true that those campaigning for separation have got more momentum and a greater sense of readiness for a referendum than those who would defend the union,” he said.
    But, he added, even if the SNP were to gain majority control of the Scottish Parliament, and manage to legislate for a second independence poll, “there isn’t going to be an independence referendum anytime soon”.'

His last sentence is correct
    I think all his sentences are correct. However, that doesn't mean he's being particularly hypocritical, which seems to be the implication. Is there a rule that Indyref 2 must take place at a time most convenient electorally for the Yes side? If there is, it seems an odd one.
    A general opinion is that referendums take place when the electorate vote for them to take place.
    There definitely isn't a rule that they shouldn't take place because it's inconvenient electorally for the No side, except in the heads of the No side.
    lol

When the British people want another Scottish referendum, they will express their desire in a Free Vote in the House of Commons. That's how it works. Soz boz
    I always knew you were a cert for the coward column.
    The touching thing is that you probably believe this line of attack - "cowardice" - actually WORKS
    Aw, I thought you were going to rework your 'stared into the barrel of a Hezbollah AK47' old bore anecdote with a hunting for exotic flint slant.

What do you think needs to work here? Nothing you or I do will make a bawhair of difference, this is unimportant randoms bickering on the internet. You'll continue to fulminate impotently and I'll do whatever I can with money, time and votes to get to a referendum. At that point I'll have a vote and you can cry gin soaked tears when a much reduced bunch of creeps and sentimentalists gather in Trafalgar Square imploring Scotland not to go. Déjà vu all over again.
    OK let's have a bet. I bet 50 of the Queen's good solid English pounds that Scotland will not be allowed an officially-sanctioned-by-Westminster vote before the next UK General Election (probably in 2024 but let's set that aside). Sturgeon may, under pressure from her jihadis, go for a wildcat unsanctioned vote but you and I know that would be suicidally stupid, hence her intense reluctance to take that route

I nominate Peter the Puntah as our referee
    Woah woah... @contrarian is fairly sure that this lockdown is all part of a conspiracy to get rid of elections in the UK, so be careful, this could be a bet you can never collect on.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Andy_JS said:

"Remote workers tap scheme to see out pandemic in Caribbean
    ‘Digital nomads’ lured to economically hard-hit islands with visas and no income tax"

https://www.ft.com/content/a0731e22-6407-4a52-af10-598fe2ccfd70

Not a subscriber but using google search seems to bring it up un-paywalled.

Digital nomadism will go off the scale post pandemic.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Still no vaccines for our surgery here in the Lakes. It's been 3 weeks since they last had supplies. They have done all their group 1-4 and those of us in 5-6 are left anxiously waiting .......

That seems odd. I know some places seem further ahead doing their groups than others, but are deliveries being held back for some surgeries so they don't get too far ahead of other areas, to try to get the top groups done elsewhere?
    Yes - this was publicly announced by Hancock. The NorthWest has had 1/3 of the vaccines originally allocated to it diverted elsewhere. Tim Farron has kicked up a fuss about it.

But my brother in London is in Group 6 - same as me - and has already been vaccinated. So it feels as this is not just about catching up with Groups 1-4 elsewhere but that we're losing out. And some I have spoken to have muttered about the North being screwed over. "As per bloody usual" were the precise words used.

Meanwhile one of the local primaries has had an outbreak of Covid and has had to close. And there has been an outbreak at BaE, despite their very regular testing. So the risk is still there. We really need those vaccines up here. Sharpish.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    flizzy said:

kle4 said:

What more d'you want? If we didn't like you we'd have sent Prince Andrew instead.
    Can they promise that the next royal baby will be born in Scotland? I feel like that might be just the thing here.

Problem is probably not A lister royal babies for some time.
    What, so that when Scotland goes independent they'd be eligible to run for president?
    Exactly, it's a good back up to retain control in case they do go Indy. Then one day the truth will be revealed, like so (without the soviet anthems)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKzesTq0Wo
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

tinyurl.com/10wh5b22

'“Some unionists feel like they are fighting a losing battle,” conceded Kevin Hague, a Scotland-based entrepreneur, pro-UK campaigner and chairman of These Islands, a pro-union think-tank.'

It should surprise no one that Kevin is taking the standard Unionist coward's way out of avoiding that losing battle by refusing to let it take place.

'“It’s absolutely true that those campaigning for separation have got more momentum and a greater sense of readiness for a referendum than those who would defend the union,” he said.
    But, he added, even if the SNP were to gain majority control of the Scottish Parliament, and manage to legislate for a second independence poll, “there isn’t going to be an independence referendum anytime soon”.'

I think all his sentences are correct. However, that doesn't mean he's being particularly hypocritical, which seems to be the implication. Is there a rule that Indyref 2 must take place at a time most convenient electorally for the Yes side? If there is, it seems an odd one.
    A general opinion is that referendums take place when the electorate vote for them to take place.
    There definitely isn't a rule that they shouldn't take place because it's inconvenient electorally for the No side, except in the heads of the No side.
    lol

When the British people want another Scottish referendum, they will express their desire in a Free Vote in the House of Commons. That's how it works. Soz boz
    The touching thing is that you probably believe this line of attack - "cowardice" - actually WORKS
    Aw, I thought you were going to rework your 'stared into the barrel of a Hezbollah AK47' old bore anecdote with a hunting for exotic flint slant.

What do you think needs to work here? Nothing you or I do will make a bawhair of difference, this is unimportant randoms bickering on the internet. You'll continue to fulminate impotently and I'll do whatever I can with money, time and votes to get to a referendum. At that point I'll have a vote and you can cry gin soaked tears when a much reduced bunch of creeps and sentimentalists gather in Trafalgar Square imploring Scotland not to go. Déjà vu all over again.
    Regarding your money and your vote/s, you may be right, but regarding your time, you seem to spend quite a lot of it conversing here with the deeply despised colonial oppressors. If one were of a suspicious frame of mind, one might almost suspect you ENJOYED chewing the cud here.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

Mockery aside, I actually think it's a pretty good idea to dot the Royals around the Kingdom. I have thought similar for some time. There are many reasons why it's a nice idea - though as far as promoting unionism goes it's definitely a slow burner rather than a silver bullet.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Can I just say that today I made my own mayonnaise?

To go with my home dressed cooked Devon crab, all prepared by me and bought at Borough Market?

AND IT WAS EXCELLENT?

In recent weeks I have also made bearnaise, hollandaise, beef randang, Singapore laksa, wagyu ribeye, you name it,

This shit isn't hard, and you can do it at home for about a tenth the price they charge you in a resto.

I wonder if one of the unexpected victims of the pandemics will be restaurants, not because we don't want to go to them any more (OMFG we DO) but because we have all learned that what they do isn't that difficult, AND they put 500% on every bottle of wine.

Mediocre middle chain restaurants were already struggling before covid.

I wonder how damaging YouTube with its cooking vids is to restaurants.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes - this was publicly announced by Hancock. The NorthWest has had 1/3 of the vaccines originally allocated to it diverted elsewhere. Tim Farron has kicked up a fuss about it.

But my brother in London is in Group 6 - same as me - and has already been vaccinated. So it feels as this is not just about catching up with Groups 1-4 elsewhere but that we're losing out. And some I have spoken to have muttered about the North being screwed over. "As per bloody usual" were the precise words used.

Meanwhile one of the local primaries has had an outbreak of Covid and has had to close. And there has been an outbreak at BaE, despite their very regular testing. So the risk is still there. We really need those vaccines up here. Sharpish.
    Still Group 4s waiting for an appointment down here in Devon. I'm one. Same in Wiltshire where relatives live.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Leon said:

To go with my home dressed cooked Devon crab, all prepared by me and bought at Borough Market?

AND IT WAS EXCELLENT?

In recent weeks I have also made bearnaise, hollandaise, beef randang, Singapore laksa, wagyu ribeye, you name it,

This shit isn't hard, and you can do it at home for about a tenth the price they charge you in a resto.

I wonder if one of the unexpected victims of the pandemics will be restaurants, not because we don't want to go to them any more (OMFG we DO) but because we have all learned that what they do isn't that difficult, AND they put 500% on every bottle of wine.

My wife's cooking is W-A-Y better than 95%+ of restaurants. But we still go out plenty because it's a social thing to do. Plus if you eat at home, people invariably bring far less booze than we end up drinking, stay later than we want them to in order to drain said booze, having left us with buying the food and drink, preparing the food, cooking the food and clearing up the mess when they do finally depart.

When the return visit comes round, the food is invariably not as good. Which the guests know - and so feel intimidated in inviting us round to their place for a return dinner. Instead, they invite us out to a restaurant. Where nineteen times out of twenty, on the way home I will say "your food would have been better than that". Which it would. And leaves us with a somewhat underwhelmed experience. Having paid a lot of money.

Restaurants will survive. But they will never be great value.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

RIP Christopher Plummer. Edelweiss is for me the best bit of a great film. Always brings a lump.

You old softy.

RIP Christopher Plummer is a sentiment that I echo though.
    Seconded.

That dance with Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music - sheer love and lust and longing - https://youtu.be/dUFBOC6lQoo.
    RIP General Chang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqCJ-UGYns
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Still Group 4s waiting for an appointment down here in Devon. I'm one. Same in Wiltshire where relatives live.
    Have they used the website to book an appointment? Open to all over 70's.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited February 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

tinyurl.com/10wh5b22

lol

Regarding your money and your vote/s, you may be right, but regarding your time, you seem to spend quite a lot of it conversing here with the deeply despised colonial oppressors. If one were of a suspicious frame of mind, one might almost suspect you ENJOYED chewing the cud here.
    I think I mentioned to someone else that I tend to separate stuff into the important (to me) and that which I use to fill in the time until I die. Unfortunately like most of us I've had an unexpected excess of that empty time this last year.

Anyway some folk find it quite bracing to be around opinions they find a bit wanky, others are more herdy; takes all sorts.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited February 2021
    HYUFD said:
    Really? Really? I know it’s only one example, but have we been reduced to this? Depressing. Might as well turn myself in...
  • Options
    Leon said:

AND IT WAS EXCELLENT?

IF you really want to impress, then create your own version of McDonald's "Special Sauce" as your personal contribution to scotching Scottish independence.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    edited February 2021
    AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope people over 70 realise they can book their own appointment now, they dont have to wait for a letter or phone call. Ive pointed it out a few times on here. The authorities arent doing a very good job of getting this message out to the public.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

My brother in Cheshire is group 6 and had it today. But where I live near Bristol they are on group 3 and 4. I wouldn't read too much into it. I would expect there is some scrutiny to have at least offered all agreed groups a vaccine by 14th Feb but I expect the key consideration is getting people through the doors and ensuring as little waste of vaccine as possible.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I wonder if people are overlooking some raw cynical politics underneath the growing number of Eu countries limiting AZ vaccine to younger age groups? Suppose you were a politician who was concerned about the economic damage that the pandemic was doing and liked the idea (in principle) of the theories about shielding the elderly but keeping the rest of the economy fully open. But accepted that these ideas didn’t really work in practice.

But now saw mass vaccination as the way out but was concerned that achieving mass vaccination of the young and economically active was being held back by the health need to vaccinate the elderly first (even more so given the problems of limited supplies and the slow pace of vaccine rollout in the EU).

But then, a gift! What if the cheapest and most easily administered vaccine is restricted to the young and economically active? It solves the problem! The waiting list can be upended and who can complain? Certainly not the elderly - why would they want a vaccine that doesn’t work for them? They’ll just have to wait for Pfizer and Moderna...

Meanwhile as AZ comes online it is this which can be used in the football stadiums of Europe to vaccinate the masses and open up the economies again...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    I see Telegraph reports that pubs may be allowed to open in April if they agree not to sell alcohol

In other news, wildlife parks will reopen in March 2022 initially allowing only one single dog open to the public. It's been reported that it'll be a shih tzu.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    alex_ said:

I wonder if people are overlooking some raw cynical politics underneath the growing number of Eu countries limiting AZ vaccine to younger age groups? Suppose you were a politician who was concerned about the economic damage that the pandemic was doing and liked the idea (in principle) of the theories about shielding the elderly but keeping the rest of the economy fully open. But accepted that these ideas didn’t really work in practice.

But now saw mass vaccination as the way out but was concerned that achieving mass vaccination of the young and economically active was being held back by the health need to vaccinate the elderly first (even more so given the problems of limited supplies and the slow pace of vaccine rollout in the EU).

But then, a gift! What if the cheapest and most easily administered vaccine is restricted to the young and economically active? It solves the problem! The waiting list can be upended and who can complain? Certainly not the elderly - why would they want a vaccine that doesn’t work for them? They’ll just have to wait for Pfizer and Moderna...

Meanwhile as AZ comes online it is this which can be used in the football stadiums of Europe to vaccinate the masses and open up the economies again...

Too complicated for them, as rcs1000 says below.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Andy_JS said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

I hope people over 70 realise they can book their own appointment now, they dont have to wait for a letter or phone call. Ive pointed it out a few times on here. The authorities arent doing a very good job of getting this message out to the public.
    I got quite frustrated with my 72yo mother with a weakened immune system. She refused to use the online system until she received a letter. She didn't want to do anything that could be seen as skipping the queue despite anecdotes of those in lower bands getting the jab.

She finally got a letter on Thursday and booked a jab for 14th. An hour later she got a call from her local surgery offering her one on Monday.

It will be quite a relief as of my older relatives she was the most vulnerable (shielding for a year) but has had to wait until last to get the jab. Hopefully the supply can really start to ramp so that the lower bands can be done quickly.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Ah well, worth a try.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    AlistairM said:

Andy_JS said:

AnneJGP said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

I got quite frustrated with my 72yo mother with a weakened immune system. She refused to use the online system until she received a letter. She didn't want to do anything that could be seen as skipping the queue despite anecdotes of those in lower bands getting the jab.

She finally got a letter on Thursday and booked a jab for 14th. An hour later she got a call from her local surgery offering her one on Monday.

It will be quite a relief as of my older relatives she was the most vulnerable (shielding for a year) but has had to wait until last to get the jab. Hopefully the supply can really start to ramp so that the lower bands can be done quickly.
    At current rates of vaccination, it’s going to take about another three months to do everyone, then three months more to do everyone again with booster jabs, to finish by about July.

The current rates won’t be maintained though - this time next month we’ll have them at most pharmacies, and at large walk-in and drive-through centres in cities. The 100m vaccines delivered point comes in about mid-May, which will be two vaccines for everyone who wants them.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it’s getting slowly brighter.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

I see Telegraph reports that pubs may be allowed to open in April if they agree not to sell alcohol

In other news, wildlife parks will reopen in March 2022 initially allowing only one single dog open to the public. It's been reported that it'll be a shih tzu.

On shit-zoos.

I have a family member who has purchased a cross between a Shitsu and a Poodle, which is tautological, and great fun as the relative is very dignified.

Morning all.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

Leon said:

AND IT WAS EXCELLENT?

IF you really want to impress, then create your own version of McDonald's "Special Sauce" as your personal contribution to scotching Scottish independence.
    Home made Coquailles St Jacques coming next, then.

And then heroic stories of how to avoid splitting a vinaigrette :smile: .
  • Options

I am struggling to work out if I had forgotten Prince Edward existed or never knew. Presumably the former but I am not sure.....
This discussion has been closed.